• Published 9th May 2023
  • 367 Views, 7 Comments

Can a Flower Bloom in the Desert? - DashieSoup



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's new relationship is put to the test by a jealous and powerful friend.

  • ...
0
 7
 367

Chapter 5 - New Beginnings

Fluttershy's heart leapt as she rushed to the window and recognized the figure of Rainbow Dash. Excitement bubbled within her as she eagerly opened the window and beckoned Rainbow inside. As Rainbow clambered in, Fluttershy couldn't help but notice that she looked a bit worse for the wear. Her usually vibrant coat appeared dull and her eyes seemed to carry the weight of some unspoken burden.

“Thanks for letting me in. I was gonna come back earlier to get the painting, but I didn’t want you getting all upset that I hadn’t found a new job yet.”

Despite her appearance, Rainbow’s voice was as calm and aloof as ever. Fluttershy tried desperately to town down her own energy to not seem overexcited.

“Oh? So um, what job did you end up getting?”

“Well,” Rainbow said, avoiding eye contact. “That’s...kind of why I’m back. You mentioned maybe getting me a job here? Turns out my pride isn’t as important as my stomach being full.”

Fluttershy beamed and said “Of course! I’ll ask my father right now, I just know he’ll say yes if I beg him. Stay right here please!”

Rainbow shrugged sheepishly and said “You don’t have to beg him, I mean-”

But Fluttershy was off in a flash, closing the door behind her and rushing off to find her father.

She found him sitting comfortably in the lounge, engrossed in a book. Fluttershy sidled up next to the chair and put her chin on his forelimb. This needed to be tactical, precise.

“What are you reading daddy?”

He looked down at her with a smile and said “Biography of a stallion named Foalbisher, one of the first ponies to make peaceful contact with dragons. Quite interesting, but I think it might be too dry for you.”

“Oh, that sounds exciting!”

Mr. Shy raised an eyebrow and said “Are you trying to butter me up for something my dear? I can’t recall you ever showing an interest in history.”

Fluttershy blushed and pawed at the ground nervously.

“Um, well, there is something I wanted to ask you. If I found Rainbow and she hadn’t been able to get a job anywhere else, could she work here?”

Her father let out a sigh and said “Fluttershy...not this again. We have no idea where she is, I don’t want you getting your hopes up.”

She smiled nervously and said “She um… well she’s here, I let her in my window.”

Mr. Shy slammed his book down and said “She WHAT? How dare she sneak into the manor uninvited! I could have her arrested for this!”

Fluttershy could feel panic washing over her, it was the situation at the iron mine all over again.

“No daddy!” she exclaimed. “You owe her a favor. She saved me.”

His eyes widened at her assertiveness and he stammered out “Saved you? Pish tosh, she didn’t save you.”

Fluttershy looked down at the ground, building up her courage before saying “Yes, she did. I snuck out to find her, and a stallion and a mule tried to attack me. And she saved me.”

“You what!? I…”

He looked at her, close to tears and face contorted with anger. She cowered back and winced, waiting for him to assign the punishment of a lifetime. But before she knew it, he had her in a tight hug and was saying “I’m...so glad you’re okay.”

Mr. Shy sniffed, blinked back a few tears, and stepped away from her, regaining his former composure.

“You’re…you’re right, I do owe this mare a favor. Tell her she can start in the morning, she can sleep in the guest room tonight and we’ll get it fixed up for her tomorrow.”

“Thank you daddy! Thank you!”

She gave him a hug, and then galloped off to tell Rainbow. She practically tackled the mare into a hug and looked up into her purple eyes before saying “He said yes! You can sleep here and start work in the morning.”

Rainbow blushed a bit at the energetic hug, but said “Awesome, it uh, means a lot kid. Really.”

They stayed up late that night talking. Fluttershy wanted to know everything about Rainbow, her family, the jobs she had worked, everything. Rainbow, never one to miss an opportunity to talk about herself, obliged.

Fluttershy sat on her bed, eagerly listening to the slightly dramatized events of Rainbow’s life. Each story led to a dozen more questions, and off Rainbow would go again, trying to find the coolest way to describe her answer.

Eventually, Rainbow looked over in the middle of her umpteenth story and saw that Fluttershy’s eyes were closed. She gave her a gentle nudge to make sure she was asleep before turning off the lamp, pulling the covers up over both of them, and closing her eyes for sleep.

Morning came before they would have liked it to, and they were awoken by a knocking at the door. Rose stepped in, holding Rainbow’s uniform, and gave the two a stern glance.

“Your uniform,” she said, placing it down on a desk. “And don’t you be late for breakfast either Miss Fluttershy.”

When Rose had left, Rainbow yawned loudly and slumped out of bed to start the day.

Fluttershy helped her get the outfit on properly, making sure the bow was properly positioned before stepping back with a smile and saying “You look nice!”

Rainbow looked at herself in the mirror and frowned. “I look stupid. I should probably go talk to your dad though and learn my duties, don’t want to be late on the first day, especially when I slept here.”

Fluttershy perked up and said “I can come with you if you want!”

“Nah, thanks but I always try to be as professional as possible on the job. Bad look if I need you to protect me from your dad.”

Mr. Shy was in the lounge when Rainbow found him. He stood up from his plush seat and said “Well, at least you’re on time. Now, let’s not lie to each other. You don’t like me, and I don’t like you. I owe you a shot at this for saving Fluttershy, but one step out of line, one serious mistake and you’re out. Understand?”

Rainbow struggled to keep the look of contempt off her face and said “Yeah, I got you. Sir.”

He gave her a searching look for a while before continuing.

“Our current housekeeper Rose is getting on in years. Your job is to assist her in any way she requires, primarily with physically demanding tasks. She will cook, and then you will clean. You will fetch the laundry, she will make the bed. And so on. Your other duty will be to accompany Fluttershy whenever she leaves the house. It would seem you are a suitable bodyguard, so keep her safe.”

Rainbow nodded determinedly at this last command. “I will, sir.”

Author's Note:

No excuse for why this took me so long. I have a lot of trouble getting projects past the half-way point. I also constantly feel like a fraud and that my writing is terrible which doesn't help.

Huge thanks to Foxxi and Fluffy_Orbiter for your kind words. They are what gave me the motivation to finally continue with this story.

Comments ( 1 )

Loved the chapter! :3 Don't feel bad for taking long, we all have stuff we gotta do and writer's block sucks when it hits too! Glad to have you back, though!

Login or register to comment