• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,026 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,026

Truth at Night

I still was debating whether I took the right course of action. Luna told me to vanish. I wasn't sure if she wanted me actually gone, or just out of sight. For my own selfish reasons I had decided she meant the later. Luna and Applejack had just been making small talk, but then Luna let out a great sigh.

"So what…" She then paused to buck the tree behind her with a thump. "…was that there sigh o yours all about? It's not like you made the Everfree."

She sighed again "Well…"

The farm pony was suddenly not focusing on her work, and very quickly right in front of Luna. Maybe this was necessary after all, even if it wasn't what she meant. Luna only briefly looked Applejack in the eyes, then looked away. AJ didn't move any closer though so I decided I could stay put for now.

"So you really made the Everfree when you were Nightmare Moon?"

"Not entirely. It has been a wild place since it's creation."

"Okay, so what did you do to make it so darn dangerous?"

"I corrupted it when Sunny and I were fighting."

Applejack briefly smiled. "You called her Sunny out loud again."

"You are the first to even mention it." Luna hung her head. "I can blame you for that you know. You and your friends reminded me of mine best memories, many of these are when we were young and carefree."

"I reckon the others still don't understand the truth of it like I do. Though I sure as shooting still don't know how to put it into words."

"I can not help thee. You washed away not just my madness, but my grief, resentment, and everything else that led me down that path. It was clarity and peace. As if…"

"For that one moment we were your friends and understood exactly what you really needed. What would really help you."

Both blinked. That certainly sounds like something the ultimate symbols of friendship would do. A magical intervention, very unlike how they were used the first time to seal her away. Why should it be so different? They are exceptional mares true, but Celestia herself used them the first time. Then I suddenly remembered I knew there was something Luna didn't say to Twilight.

"Princess, maybe it's not best to be talking about…"

"Neigh. It's alright, but not the topic at hoof. We were talking about Sunny. The main reason is me being out of practice and I can't blame anyone else for that, even if it is tempting at times."

"Why Sunny though?"

"I used to call her Sunny because I couldn't say her name when I was younger. She already had her cutie mark. That is all."

"Okay, but you were really talking about the Everfree. Why you made it so creepy and dark and…"

"Actually both effects are but side effects. Obviously I can see why you might think otherwise. I was really just trying to attract monsters."

"Hmmm, well at least you did a good job."

They both laughed. I didn't think it was funny. The Everfree was an ever-present danger to the safety of Equestria that could not be removed. Yet for a time both laughed. Then Luna sighed. Applejack then looked at the dark wood so close to this side of her property. I had an even better view from my perch within the tree.

"You can't just go an fix it can ya?"

Luna shook her head. "No, I can't. The corruption is self perpetuating now. Every new creature with strange magic just makes it worse as well. Only the heart remains pure."

"Ahh. So you'd have to clear all the monsters out of Everfree to fix it. That ain't a easy job even for a goddess, is it?"

"I'm not really a goddess Applejack, and neither is Celestia. Or at the very least if we are we are far from all powerful. There are a great many things we can not do."

Applejack stood there in silence for a time, then walked over a to a tree and resumed bucking. Luna took a deep breath and raised her head. Maybe she would finally get around to saying whatever she wanted to. Applejack was about to buck, but was suddenly in the air, floating upside down in front of Luna's face.

"Now what did you go and do that fer?"

"I COME HERE FOR A GREAT PURpose. Sorry."

"So you got some sort business for the elements and since yur the princess of night you come in the middle of the night and…"

Luna shook her head. "No. It is nothing that official but it is important and we feel most comfortable at night. We did not expect you to still be working."

"Well ah am. This really important enough ah can't listen and work."

"We, I, am not sure it is truly necessary, but it is of GREAT IMPORTANCE."

Applejack was standing quite close so of course cringed.

"We are sorry. We shall keep this as brief as we can. Earlier you said something to mine captain about how hard work is welcome, but isn't really the best way to impress you."

"Ah guess I did."

"I know the way. It has been quite clear to me, but truth can be difficult."

"Then lay it on mah princess. What you got to say?"

"Many things, but all involve the elements of harmony, their nature, and why you six are so different than all those that came before."

"Pardon me princess, but ain't you and Celestia…"

"We were the last, not first. In fact despite what Sunny says I am not sure she could have wielded them truly alone. However neither of us likes to talk of that time."

"Ah reckon not. Ah think Twilight said a thing or two about this and said it's simply they're really supposed to be wielded by six ponies and…"

"Surely that is part of it, but there is more to it. First we must discuss the true nature of the elements a bit."

"You sure ah'm the one you should be telling all this? I mean I ain't a dummy, but ah'm a simple pony. I got mah farm, mah friends, mah family, and that's it. I don't want or need nothing else, or to know much bout anything else."

"That is one reason I tell you. Even though rarely stated with the exception of magic the elements are the foundation of pony society."

"Ah guess so. Ah mean be nice, be generous, be thar for yer friends, and don't be fibbing is sure right up there in the apple family rules. Laughter sorta works in somewhere too. Seems like magic should somehow though."

"It does, but not directly. See magic is not friendship, but friendship is magic."

"Whu?" Applejack raised her eyebrow so high it shifted her hat slightly.

"The source of all magic is the connections between living things. There are countless types of connection and each has weaknesses and strengths." Luna then sighed. "We have too little experience with almost all of them."

"Ah'm sorry. Ah can't really think of what to do 'bout that though. I mean we ain't as good buddies as me and Dash fer instance, but we still friends"

Luna smiled. For a while she just sat there, saying nothing. Then she shook head and pulled herself to her full height.

"WE CANNOT GET DISTRACTED. We must press on."

"What about prison?" said AJ, who's ears then rapidly flicked about.

"We did not speak of prison. Art thou well?" Then she blinked. "We apologize. We understand now. Neigh thee mind. Onward."

"Uh, okay ah guess."

"The purpose of the elements is to balance the world. They are forces of the world, concepts of great importance, yet ultimately immaterial."

"Wait a tic, then what the hay is the fancy jewelry Celestia has locked up in Canterlot?"

Luna smiled. "A very good question. But you see my sister and I disagree on what exactly is locked up there."

"And you're saying you're right and she's wrong?"

Luna shook her head. "The truth is not clear. I believe I am right, but admit I may not be. I shall tell both. Besides, sister's belief is also what they currently should be."

"But you're saying they ain't? Just git on wit it already."

Luna slightly inclined her head. "Of course. What the elements of harmony should be is vessels for the essence of each element trapped in physical form. Power beyond measure in six small objects. This would be far from the first time they've changed forms even."

"But they're something else now. Because somehow you see something Celestia don't."

Luna and I seemed to have the same reaction. It wasn't a question. Applejack closed her eyes after she said it, her voice lowering slightly. Like she didn't want to say it, but resigned to it. I wondered if I was closer I would have heard a little sigh.

"Before we go further we must first talk about Twilight."

"What about Twi?"

"First a question. What is her cutie mark?"

"Uh, bunch o stars I guess, though that don't seem like what you're getting at."

"It's not. Try again."

"Okay, it's one big doubled up star, like maybe it's two stars, or maybe it just sorta is two stars somehow, like maybe it represents two different things."

"Very good. What else?"

"Well, it's surrounded by a bunch o little ones."

"Five to be precise."

"Huh, just like her friends I guess. That's a might odd."

"Now, what else does that describe?" Luna smiled

Applejack stared forward blankly, no longer focusing on anything. "The elements? Twilight's mark is the Elements of Harmony?"

Luna again smiled. "I believe so, yes."

Applejack stared forward, looking through Luna with unfocused eyes. I barely managed not to fall out of the tree. Thank Luna my training kicked in and I caught myself. It retrospect it was obvious, Twilight and Luna even discussed it, but Twilight never spelled out exactly what she meant. I guess I just missed that detail. After a short silence Applejack shook her head, unseating her hat. She had it back on her head with a level of speed and precision that made me want to put her in a suit of armor and run her though her paces. I was certain the result would be amazing. She then sat down to resettle her hat on her head with a hoof.

"Okay, so what in tarnation does that mean? If she really got the elements on her flank does that mean it don't matter none that we're her friends just…"

"Don't be silly. As to everything it means? I can't be sure, but I'm quite sure it means you have been connected since at the very least the moment she was born. I would guess she was born last, but I suppose it isn't really required."

AJ nodded. "Okay, but what does that mean? What does this have to do with the elements exactly? It's obvious enough somethin', but what ain't clear."

"First, are you ready to accept the burden of the truth?"

AJ sighed. "As in the burden of a truth you ain't told none of mah friends yet. As in now I gotta be the one to be deciding if they need to know or not."

Luna simply nodded.

"Then lay it on me. Ah know what ah'm gonna do. Even if it hurts, the truth is always better in the long run."

"Well said. Then we begin with the spark. Right before you healed our damaged mind we said something about the spark not working, do you remember."

"Not really. Ah'm still surprised I remember Twi's speech good as I do."

"Yes, well we were surprised, because the spark should have worked. At least it certainly had been enough before. There was also one other issue, but we had no time to check either way so we were never sure."

"That being?"

"We think the vessels were empty. After all if we believed we could simply smash the elements in the first place do you really think we would waste time trying to slow you down, no matter how weakened or confused we were."

"Wait, like all the honesty and whatnot just leaked out?"

Luna nodded. "Yes, something like that. At the time we were so overjoyed their power seemed to be missing and could be destroyed we did not even consider to double check. Or sister believes if we had we would have found it still there, just dormant."

"Except you shouldn'ta been able to smash them then, should ya? What about the element o magic though? If a spark was really all it took why did it even need that other orb thingie at all."

"Because it is useless without the others, so is designed to be summoned forth regardless. A magical spark should have been enough by itself, if the elements were still there. Maybe not enough to be activated fully, but it should have at least wakened them."

"But then what the hay happened?"

"Well Sunny assumes you simply became their wielders and remade their forms, and at least the second part is true, the former vessels that contained them were remade. They are now magical foci of considerable strength. Very useful."

"Cept that ain't it. Cept something else entirely was going on right?"

Luna nodded. "As I said, I could be wrong. But I doubt it greatly. Also there is no doubt the elements are what cured me. Nothing else has the power, and even if it did I know them. It was not exactly the same as so long ago, but there is no doubt it was still them."

"Ain't that the opposite of what ya just said."

"No Applejack. I said the stones you uncovered no longer held the elements, and the trinkets in Canterlot while having a connection to that power also no longer contain them. I never said they were not there."

"But it was a big empty castle. The only other set o six things was us."

"Exactly."

Then I fell out of the tree. I could still see that familiar smirk on her face. So much like her sister. I thought about trying to sneak back in the tree, but Luna was soon looking at me as Applejack just stood there sputtering.

"Very good. You not only were utterly silent with that spell, but masked your presence completely. Had it not been night I would not have known you were there."

"Spell your majesty?"

"Dream said he's seen you be utterly silent in full armor, not even making a sound. Obviously a pegasus spell. Probably unique to yourself just like many unicorn spells are." Luna clapped her hooves briefly. "Truly excellent."

"That's, interesting. So my skill at stealth is in fact all magic?"

Luna shook her head. "Oh no. You are well skilled but unusually weak. In fact we're not sure how useful it would even be to anypony else."

Then I took a step back. "Wait, the aura hiding shouldn't have worked without the armor. I need it or…"

Luna waved a hoof. "Ridiculous. While not within everypony's skill range, the spell is very simple, and not just common to all ponies of a certain element, but all ponies in general. All ponies are magic, and all can learn to hide that aura."

Applejack then nearly knocked me over. She should feel lucky pegasus training is dodge into the air then counter or I could have seriously hurt her. On the other hoof if she did manage to buck me I was sure I would be feeling it for weeks. She had a really intense look on her face. Luna had a slight smile.

"What does that mean? What does it mean that…"

Luna laughed, very loudly. "WE HAVE NO IDEA. Not an iota of a clue. It could mean anything at all, or nothing, or everything. IS THAT NOT WONDERFUL."

The winds seemed to be whipping about us at random. It felt like I was in the tornado construction lab from weather school all over again. Does this mean it gets really windy when she's happy? AJ was spending a great deal of effort to hold onto her hat, and couldn't focus on Luna quite as much.

"Why the hay does that make you happy?"

"Because as the years go on you think you may never see something truly new again. Never see something that isn't just a variation on a theme. Then you wonderful ponies come along and not only save me in a way my sister could not, but give me such a strange new thing to enjoy. WHY WOULD I NOT BE HAPPY?"

AJ then shifted her legs to a more stable stance. "So that's all you got to say? Yer the elements now, don't know how or why, or what it means?"

Luna nodded. "We do have some ideas. But we could be utterly, wonderfully, WRONG. It is truly an amazing thing."

"Then just go ahead an tell me. But before an ya do, do you think you can do something about this wind?"

"SORRRY." The wind instantly died down. "We are just more certain ever we are right. So where should we start?"

"How about first how we could even be the elements."

"Ah, that is simple. In fact it's so simple I will not answer. Sky, if you would."

I blinked. "Me, but Luna surely…"

"Go ahead, I'm sure you should know enough. Just think about it."

I wasn't sure what she meant, but I had to try. I did have some magical knowledge. I'm expected to lead and protect against unicorns after all. I looked up in the sky while I tried to figure out how anything I knew could fit to this scenario. Then suddenly I thought of something that did and nearly tumbled to the ground, standing up suddenly being a challenge. I stared at Luna, trying to keep my cool.

"They are the avatars of the elements. Living embodiments in the purest form. Meaning they not only wield the power, but essentially are that which they embody. In this case it is likely they are not the source but would be strengthened by every appropriate act."

"What the hay does that mean?"

"It means every kind act makes her stronger. Every single time a pony is true to the element of kindness somehow it helps her. They're all like that, aren't they?"

"As I said, I don't know."

"Wait, don't that mean every time any unicorn casts a spell…" began AJ

"And possibly more often than even that." Said Luna "Of course that last part might be reaching. In fact at least for the moment that seems likely. Otherwise it would be far more obvious, though I can't imagine exactly how."

I gulped. "But the first part of the description is still…" I paused. "…familiar."

Luna laughed. "YES INDEED. I have many titles, but one is indeed LUNA, AVATAR OF THE MOON."

"Well, Buck."

Then Applejack fell over. I was surprised I managed not to do the same. Now the mirthful look was completely gone form Luna's face.

"This will be a very hard road for them I fear. Many possibilities have come to mind, but one fact seems inevitable. They will be needed. Not just to save me but…"

"Why not?"

"What?"

"You are the night, and your sister day. She has managed, but the world has not been properly balanced. That's why some pony magic has been missing for a thousand years, because this world needs you."

"We didn't even get to that. We are still not sure we're right. Perhaps the elements simply fixed that as well. Perhaps that is all this change means. A severe misalignment more dangerous than we knew."

"But you don't know. Because this is new, and that means you're probably right."

"Yes. But maybe it will not be soon. Because if I am right, it will be a long road."

"I don't understand."

"It seems best not to dwell on it, but if they are the avatars of the elements, then as long as each exists in the heart of one pony, they too shall live on."

"Would that include each other?"

Luna went wide eyed. "Perhaps it would." She then shook her head. "Come, let us get her inside. This is enough of a burden without that of immortality as well."

"Of course your majesty."

I didn't know what to think. So many conflicting thoughts at once, I didn't know what to focus on. I always wanted my sister to outlive me, but somehow this feels different. Also I'd read Luna's private journals. I understood how immortality could be a burden. It wasn't all bad, especially not as bad as she got near the end of the last journal. Nightmare didn't keep one. Yet it was clear there was happiness too if she would have just seen it. I would not let Luna ever feel that way again. Not just because our regulations had been changed to nearly require it, but because I wanted to.