• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,026 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,026

Trixie's unseen show

"A zony stands before me. Truly a sight I thought I would not see."

The zebra had to be Zecora. Her mane and bands marked her clearly as a shamare. I once again wondered what she was doing so far from home. Living in the Everfree on the other hoof now made perfect sense. Unless she was far younger than she looked, and more importantly far less experienced, she would actually thrive in the dark wood. Azy smiled.

"Uh, rhyming is not really my thing. Rhythm and beat is what I'm about. Music fills my soul, and makes it sing. For example all I can think to rhyme, is trout."

Zecora laughed. "Truly spoken this is fact. A rhyme quite forced, to use no tact. But far apart these things are not. From one to the other is a simple trot."

"Yes, but I was raised in Braytin most of my life, and the rest in Canterlot. I haven't had much use for Zebra, so it slipped away. Also because my talent is music I'm exposed to all these other sorts of rhythm daily."

"Talk more we must. Curious you are too I trust?"

Azy nodded. "I certainly didn't expect to meet a zebra today."

"Then follow me to town good zony. You can come with me as I visit the pony."

"Luna is it okay if…"

"Of course."

Zecora had practically ignored Luna. I suppose she wasn't really one of her subjects, a visitor to our land, but it was the polite thing to do. Then I blinked, suddenly remembering something. Zebras don't bow. It wasn't the most important tenet of their culture, but it was actually more important than the rhyming. I landed in front of Luna, opened my mouth, then closed it again. I was about to take to the air again when Luna sighed. I saw Dream off in the distance, finally realizing we left, or at least finally bothering to catch up.

"Sky, ask thy question. When I did not know you as I did this was a minor annoyance, but once again. You are my friend."

"Luna." I whispered "It still feels wrong" then cringed slightly realizing she would of course hear that. "First about the rhyming. I thought Azy didn't do it because she isn't full blooded not…"

"You think Zebra's have to rhyme. As in they physically must?"

"No, I thought she was an outcast and thus didn't need to. Or am I wrong."

"In truth only shamres, like Zecora must always rhyme. Rhyming is considered polite however. That's why Azy made the effort to at least keep it up for a little while in her own way."

"So does that mean they consider all Equestraians rude."

"Not really. Zebra is a much easier language to rhyme. Also there are some issues about rank I never really understood. Other than talking to nobility and introductions it wouldn’t ever be required. Zebra society is different."

"I'm confused. They have rules of behavior for us separate from their own?"

"Neigh. It is more the rules can be applied to our society in some way that seems obvious to them. It is of little import."

"But you have to rhyme greetings to be polite?"

"Other than that. In truth we should talk to them thusly the whole time, but neither mine sister or myself can stand that."

"So do we follow them or…"

"I trust Azalea. Zebra shamares have always held my trust."

"But you really don't trust Trixie?" I smiled widely

Luan shook her head. "She is somewhat trying, but not that bad. I simply wish to see what sort of fuss she is causing."

"I never said I think it's something horrible. But you do think it is some problem. That is not entirely trustworthy."

Luna sighed. "Indeed. I have grown fond of her, but not I do not trust her left to her own devices. When ordered to do a task she is quite dependable, if she is truly capable of it, but that may be unique to me."

"It is. Even knowing she was ordered to serve by Celestia herself it was difficult to get her to follow orders."

"I see. Well I am also very curious. The predicaments she gets herself in are often quite the enjoyable little things."

I just sighed. If it wasn't for Luna and Celestia, Trixie would be in prison by now, no doubt. I just had to trust their judgement that somehow she's worth the effort. If she just wasn't such a lazy braggart maybe I could see her good points, but I felt I would just see her more minor flaws easier. Though I suppose seeing her in trouble could be rather entertaining. I just wish I didn't seem to do such much work cleaning up her messes.

Speaking of messes we walked past the charred circle of grass Firecracker had caused yesterday. I really should have known better than to just leave her alone when she had that look in her eye. At least Bee's burns were minor. Firecracker healed them right up. Practice does make perfect clearly.


Trixie's show had apparently gone over well enough. Nothing exploded, some ponies even had nice things to say. The only real problem occurred when we startled her by teleporting nearby. I looked at the cart full of cabbages sitting on the cloud in front of us. I used a hoof to scratch my head. Luna came up beside me.

"Why would an earth pony enchant their cart to move on clouds."

"Tis most strange yes."

Then with a flash it was gone. I thought we soon would, but instead, Luna looked about and after a moment nodded. She then stood on the now empty cloud. I did the same after a moment.

"I have a question for you Sky. Why do you have such loyalty to me."

I looked away. "Well at the time I thought that…"

"I well know you have read my journals. Though they were once sealed against such Sunny told me she did everything she could to understand what went wrong. This included breaking the seals on my journals permanently."

"And noticed there are some things I would only know if…"

"Yes." She nodded "I do not mind, in fact the result has been pleasant, but I am curious. You know everything, so why have I earned your loyalty."

"Because you deserve it."

There was a long silence. At first because Luna stood there in wide eyed shock. Then followed by a short wait as she calmed down. Next came a slight frown, and finnaly a snort.

"Is that all you have to say."

"It's all I feel I need to say, but I could elaborate if you wish."

She nodded.

"I know all the bad, but all the good too. Also I saw your descent clear as could be from your writing. You were not in the right, but your issues were very real. Most of all I belive with a second chance you will be better."

"And?"

I shook my head. "I could give specific examples to what I mean, but that seems pointless. You know what you've written. I know you. I belive in you. Anything is is just meaningless details."

"But…"

"No" I took a deep breath. "You ordered me to speak my mind. That's what I belive. You can order me to say more, but as I said, it's pointless."

"I, see."

"Now, where to next mam?"

"Uh, we should make sure that pony is aware we recovered his stand. He seemed quite upset about his missing produce."

I nodded and when she flew off followed. I could keep up with her so clearly this was a contemplative flight. She was always slower when thinking heavily about something. Unless she was flying slowly on purpose it was the only time I could keep up with her. I really wish she wouldn’t be so reckless.