• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,025 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,025

Dress Shop

I blinked. We had just been standing somewhere else entirely, but now we were in front of a familiar dress shop. Luna told me having my ponies do surveillance is not what she meant by helping to prepare for her visit, but she kept the portraits and maps the girls came up with anyway. I was proud not to react at all, though I was dizzy enough I would have surely fallen over if I tried to move. I was somewhat surprised Dream Volt managed the same. In fact he had a real trouble staying still most of the time. Maybe he's used to it somehow. He did say his marefriend was a unicorn. Dream was even in the air, and suddenly threw his hooves up.

"Whoo! Gotta love teleporting."

This was answered by Bee making a familiar gagging noise in the bushes. Earth ponies apparently had the most trouble with being teleported. Bee is the only one I'd actually seen, but Luna assured me they all had issues. She also said Bee was especially bad however. Trixie was unaffected, and Firecracker was smiling. I had a feeling she was thinking of throwing her hooves up as well, but wasn't sure. Bee then walked away, no more than the brief gagging noises. Hmm, she didn't lose her last meal this time. I guess she's getting used to it. Azy as always just stood there with that confused look on her face blinking rapidly. She said something about it being oddly familiar to me once. She also said she didn't mean she'd ever been teleported by anypony else before, but I decided it's not worth my worrying about.

"I think I shall never bee truly beee used to that."

"It's really not that bad." Said Azy "It just feels so bloody odd."

"COME WITH US INTO…" Luna sighed. "I mean come with us into this lovely establishment. We are sure you shall enjoy yourselves."

Luna then led the way into the shop. Despite her rising popularity Rarity's shop was currently deserted. That's a relief, the shop was impossible to secure as it was, a bunch of ponies running around would just make it worse. I suppose every pony wants something special to wear every now and again, but it seemed odd to have a shop like this in a town this small. Then again it did double as her home and she clearly stayed afloat somehow. Of course according to Bee any interest from Hoity Toity meant she would never be out of work again, but Rarity hadn't always had such attention. Bee was right that I wouldn't know good fashion if it struck me in the head. I just think the dresses my sister sends me are pretty.

It didn't take too long for the white unicorn with the fancy purple mane to show up. She had a smile on her face as she trotted forward. Then she stopped, looking us all over. Dream volt and myself she looked at the most briefly, as wearing our armor we weren't that interesting I'm sure. I noticed Trixie wasn't among us for some reason. I stood next to the door and after a moment Dream did the same. I noticed a slight twitch of one eye when Rarity looked at Firecracker that reminded me of Blossom's this is not right twitch. I bet it's the mane. She smiled slightly when she saw Bee, but quickly moved on. Her gaze lingered on Azalea in her large cloak for long moment, but then she quickly returned her full attention to Luna and bowed.

"I know you've been sending all six of us letters, but when you said you would be visiting soon, I did not expect you meant today."

"Yes, we…"

Azy nudged her. I was fairly sure it was with enough force to send me flying, but the princess other than stopping her speech didn't seem to react at all. I know the princess is also physically stronger than most ponies, but just how much?

"I was not sure of my schedule, but here we are as I said."

"Excuse me, but did you not say you had had two guards, a student and one other? Yet you have brought your student and two guests."

"In truth all but Azlaea is in my service. My captain suggested I bring more guards than I originally planned. One is missing in fact."

"I am not. I am simply fashionably late is all."

I blinked and turned around. Trixie had come in, but now looked very different. She had a pale green coat and a mane striped with orange, lavender, and yellow. At least that was what everypony else saw. My armor let me automatically see though illusions, but even it made this one only semi-transparent. Her clothes had become a simple pale blue dress and white sun hat. They weren't an illusion, but either a transformation or she had somehow switched her clothes. Her voice even sounded different, a little higher in register. I guess impressions were among her many talents. This one seemed to even be a genuine talent. Rarity glared daggers at the mare but Trixie wasn't looking directly at her.

"You." Said Rarity

"I guess that answers that quandary." Luna said

"I don't understand. We have never met before? Why would you talk to me like that?"

"I can see right though it. Unless I miss my guess, so can Miss Rarity." I said

Rarity turned to me. "Oh, such a lovely voice, strong, yet a certain delicate quality to it. Almost familiar actually. And proper manners too. A little too even in tone, but nopony's perfect no matter how hard they try. Not to mention the armor. Not quite my taste, but lovely. Did you do the accents yourself?"

"Actually it's the captain of the moon guard's armor. Luna designed it herself well over a thousand years ago."

"I think we were talking about seeing though something of mine. Though I cannot imagine what you mean?"

"What I mean is obviously while the exact nature of her talent isn't clear, design and beauty is without a doubt a large part of who she is."

"And thus appearance." Luna then clapped her hooves together. "Very good Sky. Pegasai are not always this good at understanding unicorn magic."

Trixie gulped. "Which means her talent is to some degree sight, which means that really angry look is because you know that…"

"You are the boastful and insulting Trixie?" Rartiy glared so intensely I swore her eyes caught fire. "Yes, Rarity can see though your pathetic illusion."

I smiled. I always did like Rarity. At least the version in the letters as I'd never met her in pony before. I was aware that my sister painted everypony in a somewhat overly positive light, especially assuming the best of ponies when they didn't deserve it. Rarity seemed to be a genuinely nice hard working pony with a few vices who knew how to get what she wanted. I didn't entirely approve of such manipulations, but in most cases it was to help others and not herself. Trixie then frowned heavily. So far the real Rarity hadn't disappointed.

"Pathetic, but Trixie worked so hard. It is not…"

"YES DEAR STUDENT. IT IS…" Luna took a step to the side. "I mean it is in fact an excellent illusion to be proud of. Miss Rarity is simply more talented."

"But the great and powerful Trixie…" Then she sighed. "Very well. Trixie is not so foalish as to doubt the words of Princess Luna."

She then removed the illusion and walked off, a slight pout on her face. Rarity once again looked up at Luna, smiling.

"Now that that unpleasantness is…" She frowned slightly. "She is the student, isn't she."

"Yes she is good pony. I know it is hard to see but deep down Trixie is a good pony, she simply needs guidance."

Rarity smiled. "I'm sure if anyone can do it you can your majesty. Now, we really must not delay proper introductions any longer. As you may already know I am Rariy."

"OH MY YES." Said Luna "So terribly rude of us. You already know our student Trixie, though obviously in less than ideal circumstances."

"To say the least."

"To my right is my speech coach Azalea Valley."

"A lovely name."

"Oh, thank you."

"Hmmmm…"

I then noticed Azy wasn't wearing her boots, and just her cloak. You couldn't see much, but with Rarity's eye for detail I imagine it was enough. Then she focused on the cloak itself. Firecracker had of course gotten bored, and walked off, Bee following her. I wasn't sure if she was watching her or was just looking at the dresses just like Firecracker at least seemed to be doing.

"You know, while I wouldn't call us good friends, there is a zebra I get along with well who lives nearby. You have no reason to hide…"

"Wait don't…"

Rairty was already lifting the cloak off with her magic as she talked, but it suddenly fell back down onto Azy, now draped mostly over her head. After a brief hesitation it flew back into the air and was quickly folded and placed on a nearby table. Rarity bowed her head.

"Oh I'm dreadfully sorry. I saw something in that book on zebra's and their home Twilight was having us read on zony's, but it was so brief and…"

"Really, it's okay. I count it as a positive you haven't screamed."

"Screamed? I would never. While you are certainly an awful lot of pony to work with and your mixed colors will be a challenge, it's one I relish."

Rarity then got a huge grin on her face.

"I don't think I like that look." Said Azy

"Yes, neither do I. You will tell us at once what you intend."

"Oh it's nothing bad I assure you." She then let out a short laugh, hoof upraised. "I simply had the most wonderful idea. Oh, you'll just make the cutest couple."

Azy suddenly stomped a hoof, the sound reverberating throughout the shop. Everypony just stared. There were also times were Azy was absolutely nothing like my sister. As she glared at Rarity I wasn't sure which this was. Then again Azy's hidden strength is a bit less than hidden I suppose.

"I will not be set up with anypony." She blinked, then pulled back. "Though I guess if he's cute you could introduce me, but no matchmaking games please."

"Ah, yes. I see."

"Besides aren't you the one that thinks Big Mac is seeing someone." I added

"Yes, I suppose all the evidence does suggest that…" Then she spun to me. "And how exactly did you know that."

Luna cleared her throat. "EXCUSE ME. NOW IS THE TIME FOR US TO TREAD FORTH UPON THE TASK THAT HATH BROUGHT US HERE TODAY."

Azy walked out of the room, and came back with a bucket of water. With considerable skill she flipped it upward in such a way to get Luna as wet as possible, but nary a drop on the floor. At least until Luna's hair started to drip. It had not entirely lost its starry effect, but wet looked more like normal hair. The bucket had been pierced by Luna's horn. It mostly covered her face. Azy then cringed, and turned to Rarity.

"Oh I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to break your bucket."

"But you just…"

"IT IS SO BY ROYAL DECREE." Luna's voice echoed in the bucket. She held up a hoof in Azy's direction. "We realize how bad that was, we shall try harder to stop."

"But why?"

"Well just talking it out wasn't working." Said Azy. "I mean there are a few tricks I know but nothing was working."

"So now we are trying negative reinforcement." Said Luna, then smiled. "It is a wonderful idea, do you not agree?"

"Of course princess. You're right though. Let us get down to business. So I assume the suit is for the Stallion guard, and the dresses the others."

"How else could that combination work?"

I sighed. Trixie and Dream snickered, while Azy merely smiled slightly but said nothing. I would get her in armor eventually. Even if she wasn't truly a warrior she could at least be made to look terribly imposing, and that could be more important at times. Then Azy suddenly began to shudder.

"Wait, like as in for some sort of party?"

"Oh, you haven't told them?" Rarity then smiled "You really should be more careful, I almost ruined it."

"A mere oversight. One we shall fix post haste. HEAR ME LOYAL FRIENDS. WE HAVE SECURED YOU ALL TICKETS TO THE GRAND GALLOPING GALA."

"The premier event of the season. The overjoyed and ecstatic Trixie cannot think of anything to thank you enough."

"Oooo. So cool. I just usually do the fireworks, but I always wanted to go inside too. I mean it looks all shiny and flashy and…" Then Firecracker paused. "Nothing will actually explode though, will it?"

Bee shook her head. "I certainly hope not. I cannot imagine something worzzzze. It is an affair of elegance and grace."

"Eh, still might be a little fun, I can always just bug out early if it's boring. Plus new dresses are always fun."

"The, the…"

Azy continued to stutter the word for about a minute before passing out entirely. I expected some sort of tremendous boom, but it was a relatively silent smash. Oddly it reminded me of a wall being demolished. Then I looked at the floor and realized she had actually made a slight dent. Luna had removed the bucket when I wasn't looking.

"We shall pay for that, and yon bucket. We, I, did not consider Azy's phobia in this matter enough. Clearly we may need to change our plans."

"You should still have the dress made your majesty."

"Of course. But Rarity there is one dress more we wish. I said I wanted you to clothe my entire party for the occasion of the gala, that includes myself."

Then Rarity fainted. Onto a couch I was certain wasn't there a moment ago. I don't think she teleported it in, did she? Luna then turned to the door, and looked between the two of us.

"And now we get zapped." Said Dream "I told you."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked

"He means I told you not to wear thine armor, but thou did anyway. It was not an order, but it should be obvious why now."

"Of course your majesty. I should have known you had a good reason but…"

"Then we shall banish it. TO THE MOON."

Before I could say anything it was gone. Trixie and Luna gasped first. Then Rarity got up just in time to faint again. Azy was getting to her feet, but just stopped once she was upright, still on the floor, staring at me.

"Hey, my wings are weird too. I mean generally yea, you stare at the girl but most of you are girls and…" Dream then paused. "None of you are strait. Oh yea."

"The understanding and generous Trixie is simply very giving to her fans. She is not really either."

"That still sounds like a poor excuse." I said

"Hey, we totally are over here." Said Firecracker

"I think calling you strait darling is a groszzzzz overstatement."

"I'm staring at him, that's close enough. I mean he's just like the captain, that's so weird."

"They remain the same. The eyes and ears have reverted but…"

I sighed, and spread my wings so they could get a good look. "Yes, they're still dragon touched, though I've personally never liked the term. It is the official term for the eyes and the wings in the old logs however."

"Wait, does thou mean that truly is the original flawed armor, and they wings are now permanently changed?"

I nodded "Yes your…" I cringed. "What was that?"

"Sewing needle." Said Azy, looking down "Sorry, didn't think that one though."

"Excellent form." Said Rarity

"And thy willingly wore it, often even?"

"Yes, it's comfortable. The spells insure that. Also…"

I trailed off and in searching for somewhere other than anypony's eyes. I settled on looking at my own flank. The mark was simple and striking. A silver crescent with a purple bat winged silhouette of a bat winged pony with wing out stretched. It wasn't quite what I saw that night, but it was fairly close. I turned forward and took a deep breath. It was slightly embarrassing, but I had been ordered to speak my mind. This was probably close enough to the edge of things I should not share, but being honest with myself it wasn't quite there.

"I've known since I was a little girl this is what I wanted. I always liked playing as if I was one of father's soldiers, and all the trappings of such. Then one night my father left me outside while he was in a very private meeting and I saw him."

"A batpony? But what…"

"I don't know. It could have been anything. He could have simply chosen not to take off the armor. That matters little."

Except he wasn't wearing his helmet at all, just the lower barding. For a moment standing on that white building I even thought he was standing on the moon like in my cutie mark. But there was still no doubt he was watching for something.

"I was fascinated by him, and asked dad about it. I learned all I could and eventually, my mark appeared."

"Darling, that's all well and good but what does that have to do with…"

I looked away again and blushed. "I wanted to be just like him. I wanted all of it. I'm still slightly disappointed my eyes haven't changed."

I sighed. If Sweetsong was here I would never hear the end of this. She knew about the wings of course, but not the reasoning. I'm glad she and Blossom had been held up with things.

"Trixie is not sure how comfortable she is with knowing that."

"Who am I to judge." Said Azy

Dream laughed. "I've done stupider things to try to get transformed in one way or another." He laughed again. "I mean you have no idea how dumb."

"I've done way crazier things." Added Firecracker

"A true lady does not judge." Said Bee

Rarity smiled. "Well said, I agree completely."

"We are so out of touch we are not even sure it is odd. But that was not our main point. Why was this flaw never fixed beforehoof? Surely your talented armorers…"

Firecracker laughed. "She won't let us. See we can't get it quite right. So we keep around all the old armor and wear it on special occasions."

"Except for our good captain of course." Bee then smiled

It was then I realized nopony seemed that disturbed. Shocked yes, but nothing else. I smiled. I should have at least trusted them earlier. I then realized I was letting myself get carried away with emotion and stood at attention again, looking strait ahead.

"I'm sorry for that lapse your…" I took a quick step to the right. "Luna. I will hide them best I can as regulations require me to out of uniform and…"

"Why?" said Luna

"What?"

"Why does such a regulation exist. I, PRINCESS LUNA DECREE THIS REGULATION VOID. There, now I assume you like your wings, yes?"

"Can she do that?"

Then I realized Trixie not only didn't look shocked, but never had. She could have been surprised, and I wasn't paying much attention to her, but she seemed oddly calm. Then again she also cared far less I'm sure. I decided it was best to simply answer the question as best I could swiftly and professionally.

"Beyond the Nightmare and Daymare protocols…"

"That is still a really dumb name." Added Firecracker

I glared at her but didn't let her interruption stop me "…and their corresponding regulations of course, she can change any rule she chooses as we are fully under her command. Though many extreme changes by either sister fall under one or the other."

"Trixie does not know what you are talking about."

"Yea, me neither." Added Dream

I sighed. "And this is why by all rights you should have been kicked out long ago. They are systems in place to deal with either the return of Nightmare Moon, or the more likely emergence of a similar alter ego for Princess Celestia."

"I do not think sister is correct about that, but I will admit it is possible." Luna then shook her head. "Enough of this. So is Dream Volt the same?"

"Nah, I'm a dragon." Then he turned to me. "Wait, didn't you say…"

I facehoofed as a several calls of "What?" echoed about the room. Of course he'd just blurt it out like that. He seemed to have his heart in the right place often, but his head certainly wasn't, and the laziness could count as his body being similarly unready I suppose. I then took a deep breath.

"Yes, he's a dragon, currently in this form. Why is currently classified. Luna can give me the order to change the status of at least some of the information regarding Dream Volt, but even she must follow protocol in this case. This means I can only tell you after she has heard each and every detail. We obviously should talk of this later Luna."

"Oh, so that's why he's fire proof, neato."

"I suppose this explains some things, but can we at least ask one question? Is there any danger of him reverting?"

I sighed. "Even that is classified, but I think it's safe to say all evidence points to that being so unlikely as to be nearly impossible."

"Yea, I'm probably stuck as a pony for the duration. It's not like I haven't been weirder things, so it's no big deal. Though at first it was a little strange, it had been a while since I walked on four hooves."

"The curious and confused Trixie wants to know more, but clearly we cannot dwell on this by order of Celestia, so we should move on."

"Very well." said Luna "Though I doubt I will wish to keep it secret. Yet we will follow our sister's ways in this case."

"So, may I begin now? I have six sets of measurements to take, and I must try to get to know you a little better if I am to be truly successful. Trixie may leave."

Trixie reared up. "Trixie cannot believe you shall slight her thusly. For not only is it a slight on the humble and amazing Trixie, but Luna as well."

We all lost it at that. Dream and Rarity first, neither having a reason to hold back, though Dream should have had one. Azy tried to cover her mouth, first with one hoof, then the other, but then fell to the floor laughing. I was next, even my discipline having some limits. Firecracker and Bee right behind me. Finally Luna joined in, but she was also the first to stop. I was the last, even after I saw the hurt look across Trixie's face. She then turned away and stomped off in a huff. It wasn't clear where the door went, but likely it was not outside.

"YOU SHALL ALL APPOLOGISE."

"I was simply going to say I think I know her well enough, but perhaps I was wrong." Said Rarity. "I suppose my work ethic demands I fix that."

"She is quite fond of your designs." I said "I'm sure your best work would be more than enough. Trixie is many things but thin skinned is not one of them."

"I think I shall start with her. It was lovely meeting all of you but I feel this might take the rest of the day."

"If it does not I will know and bring them back. There are some other stops we can make this day, though I planned to wait."

Luna then marched out. I honestly didn't feel too bad. Azy hung her head, but if I bothered to feel guilty about this Trixie would just ridicule me about it when I next saw her, and deny it bothered her at all. Then I sighed and hung my head as well. That is just an excuse, just like the ones she always uses. Wrong is wrong.