• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,025 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,025

A letter

To her royal highness Princess Celestia

I have done as you asked and reported to you my thoughts, but this will be my last. It is not because I feel it has finally interfered with my duty to Luna and the guard, but because it seems unnecessary. I do not say this merely because of the three known, and who knows how many unknown ponies in the moon guard that do the same, but because I can think of no further insight you need be informed of. I will of course continue to file the official guard reports, but nothing else.

First a note, though it is also in the official report I fell it important to this missive. The guard is free of nearly all its obligations. All that remains are the optional missions that occasionally come along and that we have never been duty bound to perform and the work of the pull team. In retrospect I should not have signed some of those longer term contracts. I have also tested the full capability of my team in real world conditions for the first time, and we are ready. The exact details are in my official report. Suffice it to say all but the pull squad is ready for full duty and we are ready to protect her in any situation, and Luna can resume diplomatic duties whenever you feel she is ready. As I assume you know she is eager to do so.

Second night court has gone well. While initially she joked about two nights a week being more than twice as often as necessary, she is contemplating adding a third night. She is also in my opinion ready for matters beyond her expertise of numbers and magic. However I am aware that even that was a hard won battle with the rest of the government, but trust things to progress at a reasonable pace.

Yet I know in truth such matters have never been what you most wanted to hear. I am pony who does not make friends easily. My father called me his perfect little soldier. It is at times a little too true, and I am aware some ponies find it off putting. In fact I have rarely found a friend not somewhere in the chain of command, most often only in my own level at first, but eventually both above and below. Yet it is within the moon guard I've found my greatest friends. Azalea is not truly the same, but close enough as to matter little. I am proud to now count your sister among my friends, and prouder still Luna feels the same way. But there was one thought that for a time bothered me.

Fluttershy is not always the most articulate pony when she talks, but her writing is not merely clear, but beautiful in both form and meaning. It is all to clear that her friends share a friendship as deep as the ocean and a closeness I have never known. It is in short amazing. I care for all my soldiers. I especially care for my officers and with time they have become my friends. Even Trixie in a strange manner, though at the same time I think I will always dislike her as well. But compared to what my sister has with her friends, it's but a pale shadow. But that's okay.

Not every friendship can be that perfect harmonious blend of elements. Not every friendship can be that amazing, but that doesn't mean any of mine are worth any less. Also since meeting Luna I've grown closer to many of my friends, and made new ones. Time can change everything, sometimes for the worse, but often for the better. But by now I'm sure you're wondering what any of this has to do with your sister?

She is a changed pony. I have read her old journals and while so much is the same, there are differences. Most are little things, but it all adds up to one thing. She is a better friend. She is also far more positive about what she does have, rather than obsessing about what she doesn't. In short she has known what I have only recently understood from the moment the elements helped her. That is it always worth making a friend, even if you will never be the one they care the most about. That even a frigid mare like myself can bring happiness and have happiness brought into my life because I have friends.

That is why this is my final report. Because I believe Luna will be happy this time. Because she is a wonderful mare that can make many friends, and while she may never be adored quite the way you are your majesty, she will keep joy in her heart and there shall be no room for hatred and envy. If Luna is right there may be some great threat to peace in Equestria on the horizon, but I am sure it will never again in any form be Luna. She still has some adjusting to do, and her social skills need serious work, but she will be fine. Perfect even.

Silent Sky, Captain of the Moon Guard.