• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,026 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,026

Apple Farming

"ARE YOU SURE WE MAY NOT USE MAGIC?"

Applejack cringed. Rarity had probably done the same when Luna got loud, but I didn't notice it. I think the rest of us were nearly used to it. Though it had never bothered me much in the first place. Applejack shook her head and straitened her hat.

"Ah'm sure Princess. I sure do appreciate your help, but there is a certain way the apple family does things, and unless there is a good reason that ain't changing."

"Does though mean what happened last, what was it, ah yes, apple bucking season?"

"So ah guess ya really did read all them reports Twi sent in huh? Yea, that was quite the pickle, and if ah really need the help then you can try something magical like, but truth be told yer friends is more than enough by themselves. That stripy girl sure can kick."

"Yes, and she seems to be improving her skills so not to damage the trees. Art though certain that…"

"Look I wanna say yes, and I know yer good fer it, and Applebloom and the crusaders might find that tree yet, but I'm thinking they won't."

Luna sighed. "You are probably correct."

"And these trees are more than just trees to me. I know it's sentimental, but I'll miss that feller. So just keeping pulling the carts. Or just forget this silly debt of yours."

"IT IS NOT SILLY. OUR ETERNAL GRATITUDE…" Luna blinked. "My apologies. Our eternal gratitude is yours. It is a debt that can never be repaid. You six have given us everything back. We only wish we could do more."

"What ya mean everything?"

"First and foremost you have returned our sanity. All that once was so bent and distorted has become crystal clear. Never have we felt this way before. Second in doing so you have given us back our sister, and freed us from our imprisonment. Third though your actions you have given us a chance to make friends. WE OWE THEE EVERYTHING."

Applejack blinked. I decided to at least try and focus again, even as I felt like crying. Apple bucking wasn't that hard. It's mostly a matter of a swift well controlled kick. Every apple I had met in my years of service to Equestria seemed to have a natural knack for military training, and now I knew why. I really should have simply asked well before now. I delivered a swift kick, aimed just right. The yield wasn't half as good as Applejack's but apparently pegasai seemed to have some trouble with apple bucking. Father said strive to be the best at anything you do, and I have always taken that advice to heart, no matter how temporary this may be.

"Good job again Sky. Ah tried to teach Rainbow how to buck right, but she got right frustrated and gave up near right away. Thought it was just her being lazy, but ah reckon there might just be something to what she said."

"What did she say?"

"That the only reason bucking works is earth pony magic."

"Hmm, strange." Said Luna "Rainbow Dash does not seem to be the type so be so insightful, especially about magic."

"Wait, ya mean she's right?"

"Yes, in fact if she didn't have unusually high alignment with the earth for a pegasus my captain here would be doing even worse."

"What?" I asked

"Yea, what the hay you talking about?"

"Each pony has their own magic, but all ponies are magic. Earth ponies are the only ones that can truly buck a tree as you do. They may follow your motions, but without the right magic the tree shall not yield the same amount of apples."

"Well how do you like that. Never heard nothing like that before. There any other sort of things only earth ponies can do?"

"Well I don't know about only earth ponies, but the entire school of earth magic is most easily preformed by earth ponies. The effects may not be the flashiest, especially at the beginner level, but an earthquake is hard to ignore."

"What?" Applejack and I echoed.

"That is not common knowledge? There seems to be little mention of earth mages for some time, but surely not all that knowledge has been lost."

I blinked, suddenly remembering something. "Not lost, sealed. You worked on almost all of it. I never read it but I do remember one of the spell slingers…"

"The what now?"

"Spell slingers." Said Luna "Common name for military unicorns. But surely that cannot be. While strong talent is far more rare than among unicorns there have always been a good number of earth mages among the ponies."

"Not to mention lightning soldiers. That I remember. There hasn't been anything like that but in old pony tales for some time."

"Well maybe that ain't right since most of us thought Luna was an old pony tail." Then her eyes narrowed. "Though it sounds like a few fellers in Canterlot knew exactly what was coming and…"

"No. We had various materials, but until Celestia had us plant the books on the elements of harmony and Nightmare Moon we had no idea there even was a prophecy."

"WHAT DID THOU JUST SAY."

I sighed. I continue to forget that Celestia has clearly not explained everything to Luna. I also continue to wonder how much is oversight and how much is intended. I closed my eyes and waited for the glaring alicorn to calm down, her mane formed into tentacle like clumps swirling about randomly. Why is it so many dangerous things have tentacles? She then sighed herself, her mane becoming more solid once again, and blowing gently in the etheric wind I could neither see nor feel.

"I am calm."

"That was our primary duty. The skills we were by regulation to practice could be used for many things, but most are at the best sneaky. Though my talent is not silence itself, like my sister my name is appropriate, so I am very good at it."

"So wait, the book that told Twi all about nightmare braking out was given to you by Celestia herself?"

"Yes. Though the story is common enough, those particular books are not."

"I think we must have words with mine sister about all this."

Then Luna vanished and I was left alone with Applejack. I sighed. I hoped she remembered she left us here. One conversation literally lasted several days. Trying to stay on duty the whole time was not one of my better ideas.

"We ain't done here."

"Why not? Would you really feel better if Celestia in all her wisdom didn't foresee a worst case scenario and do her best to be prepared."

"But it seemed like it was all up to us. If she knew…"

"As I said, you were successful, and possibly you were the only six that could have been."

"So, it was us or nothing. But why? Ah ain't nothing special. Any apple…"

"Are you sure?"

"Whu?"

"Are you sure that's really true? I have liked every apple I've ever met, but if the stories are true you are more honest than all of them."

"Who are you?"

I sighed. "Just one of your best friend's sisters. But I'm not surprised she didn't mention me. I'm not important. You and the others are. She's serious about this you know."

"You mean Luna? Bout what exactly?"

"Paying you back. But I don't think that's really what she wants right now. She'd give you anything you desire, but just wants your friendship."

"Ah'm not so sure I can give her that. Ah mean…"

"She's not the sister you should doubt. It's not her orders you're suddenly unsure of. She doesn't talk about it much, but she said she felt Luna be purified."

"Now you're talking about your sister. So who is it?"

"I'm suddenly not sure I should say."

I attempted to fly off but then I felt a tug on my tail. AJ then smiled, and I quickly got away from her with the relaxed pressure. Then she laughed.

"Maybe I don't gotta ask after all. That seemed mighty familiar."

I sighed. "I assume you have something else to say."

"No, you do."

"I really don't. I barely know you. She's my sister. It's as simple as can be who I owe the greater loyalty to. Unless you can figure it out yourself I won't tell you. And I don't mean guessing, I mean knowing."

"But…" Then AJ stomped her front hooves and sighed. "This is dumb ain't it?"

I said nothing.

"None of this changes nothing, and yer right about yer sister, ain't you. Plus if you are Dash's sister you don't work nothing like her, and that makes you alright in my book."

I sighed, then laughed. I did like AJ. My sister said if I ever met her I would like her and I did. Hard work and reward based on the merit of that work. There was more to her. I was certainly not half that honest for one. But I'm sure there were many things we could agree on.

"I have an idea. As an apology I will take my ladies, and if they're not too busy looking impressive the boys too, and have them try apple bucking."

"Uh, now you don't have to go and do that."

"No, I was a bit harsh. Besides I don't mean it merely as a favor, I also think it would be good training."

"Well I guess I can't argue with that none."

"I will ask my sister next time we speak. Unless she has a very good reason I will tell you the next time we talk after that."

I flew off again, this time I wasn't stopped. I was still curious where Bee and Firecracker had gone. They had come up with some idea, but Firecracker explained it so other than something was going to get blown up I didn't catch much in her excited state. I decided visiting my sister now seemed like a good a time as any.