• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,025 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,025

Shining Armor and a looming threat

"Armor." I said

"Silent."

I hated being called Silent by itself. I had no problem with my full name, but alone it just sounded wrong. Shining Armor knew this. I also was well aware while he wasn't fond of being called Shinny by anypony other than his sister and his pink princess, he hated just Armor more. We were both standing outside the meeting of ludicrously powerful beings. It was "not a discussion for mortal ears" he said. I have never been fond of King Zephyr, but Luna and Celestia rolled their eyes and had us leave anyway.

"So, Twilie said she's been seeing a lot of you lately."

"Luna has been about Ponyville a lot, not to mention Twilight helping with the library."

"You're still too uptight." His eyes narrowed

"And you're still an embarrassment to proper discipline." Mine did much the same

We glared at each, then started laughing so hard we had to hold onto each other to stand up. Ours was an odd relationship. We even dated once. It was relatively pleasant affair, but if hadn't been for the bit at the end it would have been quite forgettable. One tends to remember a pink alicorn threatening to turn you into sausage if you don't stay away from her stallion. If it wasn't for spending some time around the griffin embassy I wouldn't even know what sausage is, but that just made it all the more disturbing. Then I started.

"Wait, I remember now."

"Remember what? Don't tell me little miss checklist britches forgot something important. You're almost as bad as Twilie sometimes, even if you rarely right the lists down."

I shook my head. "No I just remembered that a group of griffin guards entering the looking for a dissident named Gilda."

"And why…"

"Because that is the name of Rainbow Dash's friend. Since you barely have the brainpower to remember you own name…"

"That was one time. I know the names of my sisters five closest friends. So that means that most likely…"

"She's been deported and is rotting in a griffin prison. Possibly literally depending on what she did. You know how they are."

He nodded. "You should still tell her."

I sighed. He was right of course, like usual. I really hated how often he was right. I then pulled myself into a more rigid pose.

"So captain, is there any concerns you have that you feel like sharing with me?"

"Nah, not really."

I glared at him.

He rolled his eyes, then straitened his own posture. "Fine, I have no concerns at this time captain. There, happy?"

I gave his a slight smile. "Yes."

"Twilie is doing alright, right?"

"That sounds like that is a concern."

"But not an official one."

"So you're not asking as the captain of the guard after a vital VIP to Equestria, but as a concerned brother?"

He glared at me. "Yes."

"Then she's nervous and she clearly misses you but won't admit it. Spend more time with her. This should be obvious." Then I smiled. "But I guess you need the help with such easy to understand concepts don't you?"

"I can still take you."

"Neither of us is getting any younger, but you're the only one still getting older."

He sighed. "Oh yes, I nearly forgot about that. So that means I have four mares in my life who will never get any less beautiful while I fade away to dust."

"Possibly, though knowing Cadence that may be temporary. She's very persistent, has considerable resources, and I know she's crazy about you."

"Why do you always put it that way?"

I said nothing. I've faced down dragons, ursas and worse without breaking a sweat. Every so often I still had nightmares about the look on Cadence's face. It's never been clear if there really is a pony or pony like creature in charge of death or not. If there is however I firmly believe he or she would greatly regret ending Shining Armor's life. To say Cadence is scary when it comes to her true love is a vast understatement. On the other hoof if I had magic that somehow let me know that without a doubt the second I him I might go to extremes at times as well. He then laughed and shook his head.

"Things are going well by the way."

"Well enough you've told your sister?"

He smiled broadly, I just sighed.

"Hey, it's not like…"

"I don't need to hear your excuses anymore than Cadence does. Only you could do something this foolish. You'll be lucky she doesn’t turn you to stone."

"Do you mean Twilight or Cadence?"

I laughed. "It probably does not matter."

I then walked over to one side of the door and took my position. I didn't have to by any means, but it felt right. Shinning didn't immediately say anything, but we'd probably continue the small talk until the meeting was over. For the moment he just stood there staring at the floor. Then something suddenly came to mind.

"I guess it's possible to get lost in thought no matter how few there are."

He glared at me and I laughed. Soon he was laughing along with me. It was a bit odd, but it could be fun. It certainly could be worse. The first few captains after Nightmare Moon were plotting to assassinate their sun guard opposite. Now the occasional prank war was as bad as it got between the two branches of the guard.


The moon had lost some of its allure from the first time. A vast expanse of grey dust and rock just isn't that interesting. The castle wasn't really much more interesting, just a structure of black stone and sconces filled with enchanted purple flames that never went out. The dark blue carpets were the only other hints of color. Also it was very square. I was only now realizing how much liked the curves and circles employed in most Canterlot architecture. On the other hoof a room on the interior of a fortress on the moon is about as secure as can be managed. Luna and Nightshade were the only other two ponies in the room with me.

Nightshade had dropped all pretence, taking his natural hole filled form. He wasn't really that much taller, but it was just enough to require him to look down to meet the eyes of most ponies. His bluegreen hair was long and with his thin build gave him an almost feminine appearance. However he just as clearly a stallion, despite the oddity of his hard carapace instead of fur. Royal changelings all also lacked the blue protective lenses of the rank and file, always showing their eyes to the world. He smiled, mouth full of scary but mostly useless teeth.

"This is not good news, is it?"

He sighed. "Right to the point as always. I find a few pleasantries…"

"We are not fond of wasting time either Prince Nightshade. I assume this has something to do with changelings and not something you can risk being overheard at all?"

He nodded. "Ever since Equestria recovered from the damage of your defeat, I trust you know of all the damage cause."

Luna nodded and sighed. "Yes. We are well aware the damage to the kingdom was nothing compared to that done to our citizen's spirits, and especially our sister."

"It took a long time for her to do much more than raise the sun, and even that…"

Nightshade laughed. "It wasn't called the dark ages for nothing. The point is we tend to follow the love, so when Equestria was prosperous again, we started slinking into the country again here and there."

Now Luna smiled. "I am sure it helped they knew one of their own was still here in a position of power, even if the moon guard was rightfully considered very suspicious."

He laughed again. "Not really. Actually they stayed away from me and my new mini-hive as much as possible. Of course without the hive as a guide they would have to look in our eyes to know for sure."

"And vice versa unfortunately." I added "I rarely have enough soldiers to track down a changeling when they do something wrong."

"Yes, branching out from just being soldier and spies mean you don't have as many under your command. But as you know I'm a rather hands off prince."

"A separate hive?" asked Luna "I didn't know thou could do that."

He laughed. "Neither did I. Just an idea I came up with since I wasn't even going to bother to see if you left a loophole."

"I didn't."

"Of course not. You were very through. Mother was only a little ticked off about that, she did pick to me to lead all the good little drones she sent for a reason and was willing to risk us all anyway. But then one of my sisters decided to try the same thing."

Luna blinked. "So the great hive is no more?"

He shook his head. "No, not gone, but weakened."

So far this was all familiar territory. Most of the time I didn't even think about it. They were just more of my girls, and a little better at transformation than some of the others. They have served Luna faithfully for over a thousand years, it was doubtful any of them would suddenly start overfeeding or otherwise making trouble. Then Suddenly I realized what Nightshade might be getting at.

"The population is going up."

"What?" said Luna

"Ah yes. The point. As always you're all business Sky." He frowned. "Still I suppose we could reminisce for literally years if you weren't here to keep us on track."

"So there are more changelings?" said Luna "That does not sound like any great problem. A few skulking…"

"It isn't like that." Said Nightshade. "The numbers have been steadily increasing. Too steadily to be natural. It's clearly planned. Then I lost track of the swarm."

"I see." Said Luna, frowning deeply.

"Is that really that unusual? I remember you explaining about their methods and…"

He shook his head. "Yes, but even if disguised as another species, the swarm's movements tend to be obvious enough. At least to me."

"So you think she's coming here. Despite the support she has always given me, both before and as the Nightmare you think…"

"Yes, Chrysalis, who as you have no doubt guessed is now Queen rather than princess of the changelings, is planning something. Most likely an attack."

I sighed. "And we are all bound by magic to say nothing."

"Mostly true. Technically Luna cannot be truly bound by such things, and that geas works only on those who serve her."

"But it is still best not to break a promise to the fae."

"But surely they cannot…" I began

"Hurt me?" Luna smiled. "That is mostly true my captain. But I doubt they would even try. No, they would make Equestria suffer for my broken promise. They would punish me by harming others, and that in turn is the greatest injury they could do me."

"Still, we must do something this attack could come at any moment."

"Relatively." Luna laughed. "When did the numbers begin to become suspicious?"

"About 237 years ago, though only in retrospect of course. However that is my second concern. A far greater concern in fact. Since your return the numbers have increased considerably. It's sloppy. That would suggest mother is rushing."

Luna gasped, almost looking like she was ready to fall, but stayed upright. The fae are nothing if not patient. That's the saying, and it was clear from her dairies how well she knew Chrysalis. I closed my eyes.

"So she's acting in an unusual manner. That's always dangerous."

"Yes, but I think in this case it's obvious at least one thing that changed. You my dear Luna." He smiled, looking at the princess. "So while her exact reasoning is unclear, it having something to do with you is obvious."

"Or the elements. After all if they can defeat a god…" I began

"Ah yes." He laughed again. "Too true. Not knowing the plan we can't be sure what she's planning, so why she's changed it is right out."

"We can still prepare." I said "We can't explain, but we can prepare."

Luna nodded. "Yes. Though I fear we'll be hindered a great deal by that restriction. Sunny does not and never will trust me as she once did."

"I am always asking for permission to tighten security. It wouldn’t be that suspicious if you backed me and…"

"Possibly." Said Luna "For now let us simply hope we have more time, and that we can discover what her plan is before it's too late."

"She is rushing be we have at least months, possibly more. She has been planning this move for a long time. Unless the deadline is truly set in stone we will have at least a little time. There is an option to learn more, but it could backfire."

"Reconnect your subjects with the greater hive? No, that seems like a bad idea. The only advantage we have is she may not be aware of all we know about her yet."

"So we wait?" I asked

"We wait."

Nightshade and I nodded at the same time. Luna let out a great sigh and collapsed on the rug. The true nature of the Changeling queen wasn't clear, it had been a thousand years, and she had been secretive to begin with. A great deal of the time Luna talks about her is trying to determine if she's being honest or not. The worst part is the changelings are not a simple military threat. It's not like a race whose nature is that of deception is suddenly going to decide to abandon that and stage a direct attack. I wish it could that simple, but changelings are tricky. I much prefer them on my side, but clearly we have a big problem coming our way sometime soon.