• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,026 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,026

A short Trip

"Are you sure your majesty?"

Luna nodded. In truth so far it had worked well, but finally I was making progress of shedding the moon guard of the various extra duties it had picked up of the centuries. I quickly realized Celestia had meddled with that as well, things falling into place far easier than I had hoped. On the other hoof, a few new problems had come up. Like the chariots in storage being in no shape to actually be used. Dream's stallions and Firecracker's smiths had both been very busy lately, and Trixie suddenly had a task to perform as well. I was nervous, but I had to trust she really did enjoy ordering other ponies around, and wasn't actually stupid. I really wish I didn't have to do that. I smiled.

"Very good. Forward."

The three mares walked up, then saluted in unison. Blossom and Song had kept their armor on, but Bee had removed her helmet. It was a bit hard to tell the two pegasi apart but their eyes made it clear enough. Song had her usual serene look, while Blossom of course had that tell tale twitch of a pony with way too much stress in their life. Bee's fur was a pale orange, her mane a mix of bright yellow and a far darker orange. Her mane and tail were both elegantly styled, hundreds if not thousands of small well formed curls that were the result of countless hours of work. Of course most of the hair on her head was in a big beehive. She smiled widely, as she often did.

"Lt. Bumblesweet reporting for duty your majesty. I'm just so happy to bee here. I also thank you ever so much for the amazing enchantment that lets me keep my mane in such a shape under this helmet. You can call be Bee, everypony does."

Song nodded. "You can even get an afro in there without it getting out of shape. It's really a very neat spell."

"Lt. Blossomforth reporting for duty mam." She then saluted stiffly. "It's pleasure to serve. Please excuse Bee and Song's lack of professionalism. We tend to be lax around here at times."

Luna laughed. "That does not bother me. In fact we wish things to be more informal if anything. Also is there something wrong?"

"Why would you say that? Nothing's wrong. I'm fine. Everything is perfect, isn't it?"

I sighed. "Calm down Blossom. She's just worried about you because as always you look stressed. Everything is fine. Relax."

She saluted. "Of course mam. I'll try mam."

"Oh. Sweetsong reporting for duty."

"Ah yes we are happy to see…" Luna smiled. "A pony such as you. In a position even without our influence."

I sighed slightly. Oh yes, very subtle. Of course maybe it was far less obvious to anypony else. Blossomforth and Bumblesweet sure didn't seem to notice. Then again Bee probably already knows, and as detail oriented as she can be, Blossom can miss even the most obvious things if she's obsessing about something else. She usually is.

"So you are to be my guards for this day?"

I nodded. "Yes. Are you sure you don't want a full squad?"

"YES, WE ARE CERTAIN. We need not some large group, and for now betting getting to know our Lieutenants seems like a good idea. We also are aware they are for the most part still quite busy."

"If your majesty wishes…" I began

"NEIGH. We have little need of them yet. Your plan as you have shown us is more than acceptable. As it stands we shall be hard pressed to catch up on a thousand years before nightmare night as it is."

"You, know about nightmare night?" I hoped the worry would not show on my face, but I wasn't sure. "I thought that…"

"Not everything makes sense to us, but it is clearly enough the same holiday it always was, but renamed and with our alter ego's image as a focus."

"And that doesn't upset you?"

"As Nightmare I desired to be feared. A holiday connected to the dead and fear is a perfect fit. It was always one of our favorite holidays, and I look forward to visiting Ponyville when it comes around. Now come."

I cringed as she began to walk. Blossom and Song walked in front of the princess, and I was soon behind her with only a small nudge from Bee to get me moving. Four wasn't really enough to encircle the princess, but a defensive square was probably more than enough. I still couldn't help but worry.

"So princess I simply must ask, have you beeegun to prepare for the gala yet?"

Luna tilted her head slightly. "Does thou mean the grand galloping gala? We recently learned it is still held."

"But of course I mean that. There are other galazzz, but it is the one with a capital T."

"My sister did mention it, but she is doing everything to prepare. Is not it in the spring?"

Bee nodded. "Of course it is, but the tickets come out now. It simply must be done that way. I can't imagine how hard it would beeee otherwise."

"That's right, you can't." said Blossomforth. "You may love the gala, but I'm the one who's actually been involved in the planning. But you are right about the tickets. After the first batch of tickets go out we always have to make more."

"Why is that good pony?"

"Well first is inevitably some noble or other important pony isn't on the list and complains. They don't all get tickets but some do. Celestia always asks for a few extra tickets after that mess is over, who she invites personally is usually a bit strange, but obviously there is no point in asking."

"Knowing Sunny that is really for the best." Luna laughed. "Though there is little doubt many are invited simply to be confusing." Then Luna paused "But come think of it she did say she wished to try to have everypony have at least one visit to the gala in their lifetime."

"You mean she did that herself once?" said Sweetsong.

"Ah. So she has delegated that task to others. Excellent. We always have worried about Sunny overworking herself."

"Oh it izzz just ever so wonderful. The poniezzz, the lights, the food…"

At this she began to drool slightly. Bee looked a little overweight, but on the other hoof there was a reason why despite being the shortest pony in earth squad none of her troops wanted to fight her. Still, a little of her weight was too many honey flavored delicacies, but she was far more muscle than fat. Then she frowned.

"Of course it would be nice to not have to resort to sneaking a taste before the festivities, or eating the leftovers after."

"We do not understand?"

"She means she can no longer get tickets." I said "Much like myself actually, if for entirely different reasons. Thanks to a certain incident father and I are banned from all further galas in perpetuity."

Song giggled. "Oh somepony told me that story. Wished I could have seen it."

"I still can't belive you could have been involved in something so chaotic." Said Blossom

"Yes dear, it izz really quite shocking that you of all ponies would beeehave in such a manner. I mean really, you…"

"I was literally a foal. The only reason mother wasn't there is she was still hugely pregnant with my sister. Also I do not want my sister hearing about that incident. I order you not to bring it up in her presence or you will be punished."

"Oh dear. Quite sensitive about it aren't you?" Bee then smiled. "Don't worry darling, I'd never dream of doing zzomething so rude."

"I follow orders." Said Blossom

"I may be a bit more lax about it, but I fall in step when it counts."

I nodded. "Thank you. She's just recently gotten her own ticket to the gala and is very excited about it. I don't wish to worry her in any way."

"I zzzee. But what I don't see darling izz when why you think it's at all likely we might be meeting this sister of yours."

"We can explain. Our gratitude towards the elements knows no bounds. We wish to do something for them, but we think it's best to wait until we know this time better."

"However the Gala is months away, and you know me. I like to be prepared."

"Of course darling. Though I have a second question, where are we going?"

I was going to ask her what she meant, but then realized we were moving away from the palace library. I think I still knew the day palace better, but guarding the still mostly empty night palace was our other major duty. Though with it no longer empty the night guard is now guarding just about everything but Luna's chambers and her lab. It wasn't really that different inside from the day palace on the opposite side of the mountain, but the colors were. Black was the primary color, purple, blue and silver being close behind, and here and there touches of white. The white marble columns in this hall one such affectation. The carpet was purple with silver trim. The windows had silver, or maybe steel, frames, the glass tinted in such a way that far brighter pinpricks of light shone though the mostly dim glass, making little twinkling stars do the wall and floor across from the window.

"Princess, didn't you say we were going to the library?"

"Yes, but we should have been more clear, we mean the public library. There are a few things that both royal libraries lack, though Sunny did such a very good job stocking my library here I rarely have to visit her own."

"But your majesty, there is no magical doorway linking this palace to the public library."

"Yes, we may have to fix that. We have always been fond of reading, and such a device is so helpful. But as should be obvious we are well aware of that."

I felt like facehoofing, but resisted. Obviously we were walking to one of the exits, a side door in fact. I then picked up the pace and stopped in front of Luna.

"I'm sorry your majesty but that's too much of a risk."

"The library is a risk?"

"No, that would be silly, but you'd be in broad daylight, fully open to attack the whole way there. Granted the Canterlot Grand Library is in the Crescent quarter as well so it wouldn't be that far a walk but…"

"HOLD. We did not understand, but now we do. Worry not, for there is a simple solution to this problem."

Her horn glowed brightly, and then with flash everything went crazy. It was like the night sky had covered everything like some sort of strange paint, except for the ponies. They were masses of swirling lights too bright to make out. Then I was standing in a library and it was over. I immediately fell over.