• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 1,027 Views, 17 Comments

Rise of the Elements Epidode 0: Silent over Time - Dream Volt



Silent Sky is captain of Luna's Moon Guard

  • ...
3
 17
 1,027

The Gala

What Firecracker's girls came up with was nice. What Rarity had created was art. Highly polished silver similar in style to standard Equestrian armor, but with countless other extra little accents. Most of those crescent shaped. But there was more to it than that. The gem on the front of my breastplate was purple, matching the purple fabric that hung from the armor turning it into a sort of functional dress. It was even backed with delicate chain-mail meaning it worked as a leg guard. Yet most interesting was the helmet, or more accurately mask. It was an ornate dragon mask, two silver wing-like fins sweeping upward to block attacks from the side. The back of my head was terribly unprotected, but wasn't too likely to matter anyway. I wasn't sure how long I had been staring at my reflection in Rarity's shop without saying anything

"I love it."

"Marvelous. I thought for a moment you hated it but…"

"How could I hate it. It's perfect. And so light. What is it made of?"

"Some alloy Pinkie acquired for me. You would have to ask her sister about it."

Firecracker giggled. "I already did, and wow Sky it is so amazing. I mean it's like the best stuff ever. She didn't make it or anything, well I mean she made the metal she gave me, and didn't invent the alloy but…"

I held up a hoof and she stopped. "Is there anything beyond it's really strong and light that I would actually understand."

"Probably, but you pretend like you don't so I can skip the details. I'll write up a report and have on your desk in a day or two."

"You really look great captain."

Blossomforth looked great herself. She smiled and I smiled back. She was wearing a very simple dress with a complex floral print that was mostly blue and green. Bee then walked up, wearing a fancy yellow and black dress. It was poofy and full of ruffles and fit some classic style popular in Canterlot, other than the color. The silver gorget and armored boots were odd accessories, but it did have a certain style. Firecracker then tried to push Bee, but failed miserably. Instead she pushed me next to Bee, then stood next to me. The three of us just fit in front of the mirror. Her dress was similar to mine in some ways, but her black armor was far less fancy, the cloth was a vibrant red, and she had no helmet at all. The cloth also had a black outline of a flame that greatly resembled her cutie mark. She smiled.

"Ah, so do you like it darlings? I'm not sure how popular it could possibly be, but I'm about to start a trend. I call it military sheik."

"I really like it. It's a bit fancy for most situations but…"

"Oh don't be silly. You spend most of your time in the palace. A little extra flair could certainly not hurt. I tried to figure out something for you Blossomforth, and I know you used to live here but I simply don't know you well enough."

"A little chainmail is perfect, it doesn't impair movement and can easily be covered by cloth, and the silk backing is soft and deals with fur snags perfectly."

"Wait, so all our dresses are armored."

Rarity laughed. "It wasn't my original plan, but I just got so inspired. I certainly have learned a lot, and I must thank you ever so much for access to your craft-ponies. I thought they would only know armor, but they work with cloth too."

I nodded. "Yes, it is not something seen all that often, but we do have some very important enchanted cloth garments as well."

"Yes. I've always liked making jewelry, but I never really thought of trying something on a larger scale before you came along. It's been quite enjoyable."

"Ah, that reminds me. Luna didn't show me the designs at the time but wants to talk to you about something. I think I understand now."

"Really now? Oh she's not waiting somewhere is she?"

"Not as such. However if you wish to bring it up now she is at the library with Trixie and Twilight right now. I'm sure she could spare a moment."

"Ah, good show. They are of course your dresses, so feel free to wear them out or hang them back up properly as you please. Except you Sky, I have one final touch to add to yours. Firecracker's gives you the idea."

"I don't think my cutie mark…"

"Oh no, I think I know what you would want. I have a few options I want to try out, but not right now. Here's a hint. Think Luna. Ta."

She walked out of the store and without even looking back the open sign flipped to closed. Firecracker once again tried in vain to move Bee, and instead just teleported away in frustration. I blinked and flew over the fiery haired unicorn on the other side of the room.

"Shouldn't your dress be on fire?"

"Nah, Rarity made it totally fireproof. Neat huh? My girls know that enchantment really well for some reason. Don't know why, but it sure comes in handy."

I sighed. I was pretty sure she was joking, but couldn’t tell. "So you are going to wear it out of here?"

"Yep. By the way when you said you think you know…"

"Luna suddenly started talking about redesigning at least the captain and earth pony uniforms somewhat. I think I now can guess by who."

"I certainly like miss Rarity's style." Said Bee "Elegance in armor is an idea I can certainly get beeeehind. Still I assume she was most impressed by your armor?"

"I would guess. But you most likely will be able to get rid of all those extra spikes like you complain about. Though I imagine it will be a process."

"I don't know for sure, but I say a little wear test seems like a good idea. Also if it's truly as stain proof as she says then I should be able to safely eat in it."

"So you wanna go to sugarcube corner and eat every honey themed treat they have until you're an even more the immovable object"

Bee shook her head. "I'm not that heavy, you just barely ever do anything without your magic and have no strength."

"If that was true than the captain could at least move you a little."

I of course jumped into the air and easily lifted her into the air. Firecracker and Bee both stared up at me. I then dropped her to the ground. Of course what a flying pegasus can lift off the ground and what a pegasus on the ground trying to lift over their head are two entirely different things. One or both of them would eventually remember the same magic that lets a mere two stallions pull the heavy chariot through the air works with everything while flying. At least to some extent. The chariot is enchanted to make it easier. Firecracker then laughed, but Bee still looked utterly confused.

"Come on Bee, I'll explain as we walk. You still want some food right?"

"Yes, let us go."

Then she trotted out, head held high. Bee is many things, but the sharpest pony she is not. Though sometimes she can surprise a pony. I then realized I was alone in a room with Blossomforth and not likely to be disturbed for a while. I sighed. Blossom looked around, clearly trying to find something else to focus on.

"Mam, I'm okay, really."

"You're better yes. Bee stopped giving you extra sweets a while ago, and I noticed some serious improvement not long after as normal. I also noticed Rainbow Dash flew by and you just let out a small sigh."

She turned to look me in the eyes. "I'm sorry Captain, I thought I was okay but when I saw her in the library…"

"In? Didn't she say…"

"She was inside. I didn't feel it was important enough to correct, and the library is a public place so it could be her just looking around. She didn't take any of the complementary goggles so she couldn't do any actual reading."

"Ah. So you saw her in your place of work and…" I paused, trying to think of the best way to put it.

"Freaked out mam." She saluted. "Sorry again mam."

I shook my head. "You don't need to keep apologizing. I know you've already apologized to Dash, and she's the only pony you need to."

"But I…"

"You are a good pony, and a good soldier. That's why you got this post. I still think you really do have cutie mark confusion syndrome, but you're still the only one that can really say what your mark means. You already know what I think it means."

"Mam…" She looked down, then back up. "Sky. I think I do, but please tell me. I think I need you to really spell it out for me."

I took a deep breath. Most of the time Blossom was fine. A little neurotic and way more stressed than she should be, but nothing more. She certainly put her all into her job and followed orders well.

"Bringing forth the sun is not what truly defines you. That is how you got your cutie mark, but that is missing the point. There is a reason it's two flowers. You make everything blossom. You bring forth the best in anything you do. Maybe I'm wrong and your problems stem from something else entirely, but that's the way I see you."

"Oh." She was crying. "Thank you Sky."

I moved a step closer to her. "I'm sorry Blossom I…"

She held up a hoof. "Hugging wouldn’t be appropriate mam. I think I need to be alone. A flight might be nice. I haven't really flown around Ponyville for a while."

Then she got a great big smile on her face. There was no little twitch anywhere, her whole face relaxed and natural. She then flew up and out an open window. For a while I stood there, not sure what to do. I think she would be fine.


Firecracker was glaring at Bee, fire in her eyes, literally. Sweetsong, Dream Volt, and Blossomforth flew off to find someone to explain the state of the ballroom. A broken statue, toppled pillars, and everything else seemed in bad shape as well. Trixie's dress had the same pattern as her cape, and her hat was just a fancier version that ended in a diamond. There were also a few more sparkling gems to make the outfit as flashy as could be. I had been tempted to smack her when I first saw her but I resisted, and she has been especially good at keeping Firecracker distracted, so for once I was actually happy about resisting the urge.

Luna's dress was magnificent. Rarity said she had originally used the fabric in a failed dress for Twilight but I don't understand how any part of the masterpiece of black lace and silky purple fabric Luna wore could be anything other than perfect. Luna's normal hoof covers and crown made the perfect accessories to an already perfect dress.

"Don't you understand. Don't you get it? You were wrong. There was an explosion, and I missed it. Because of your silly pampering I missed an explosion."

"Beauty takes time and we are not that late. Also need I remind you…"

Now Firecracker was suddenly crying. "And it looked like a good one too. I mean everything is all strewn about and…" Then she blinked. "Wait a tic, there is no blast pattern that would account for damage like this. And no burns."

"I think a lot of the damage was animals." I said. "Most likely from the garden. Something must have riled them up. I'm surprised my sister didn't manage to calm then down however. The rest of the damage suggests action of pony hooves."

"Do you mean a stampede of panicking ponies. Or something else?" asked Bee

"Both. Not all the damage makes sense for a stampede alone."

"We hope our sister didn't overdo one of her pranks again." Said Luna

"Trixie thinks with a party this empty our gentle giant could have come after all, instead of simply staying home in such a beautiful dress."

Firecracker once again glared at Bee. "I'm still mad at you. I mean it wasn't an explosion, but we still clearly missed something interesting because of you."

"It doesn't seem like the sort of something that a lady…" She paused. "Ah yes, never mind. Obviously you would be interested."

"Buck yea I'm no lady. Now come on, it's a little early but I bet we can totally get into the Nightmare Ball anyway. That should be loads more fun."

"The Nightmare Ball still exits?" said Luna

"Wow, I bet you really did found it then. Awesome. It's a way better party anyway."

"Perhaps we shall investigate this party. But first we must wait for our friends return."

"The annoyed and confused Trixie agrees. Also Trixie simply must know what has happened here or it shall bug her all night."

I nodded. I certainly couldn’t understand what could have done all this. There were guards on duty so it certainly couldn’t have been any normal sort of attack, so some sort of accident or mishap seemed likely. Yet I still had a hard time thinking of who could cause such complete chaos.