• Published 21st Sep 2012
  • 9,265 Views, 865 Comments

The Gemmed Satyr - The Rarispy



(The Gems Trilogy: Episode 2) Rarity is desperate to find her special somepony, but somepony else has a crush on her...

  • ...
32
 865
 9,265

Friend to Lean On

This wasn’t supposed to happen…

“And then… and then… he— he called me a, a PRISS! THAT ROTTEN N’ER-DO-WELL CALLED ME A PRISS!”

“Rarity, I-I don’t know what to say. I’m… so sorry that happened to you,” I managed to utter.

“How vould you like a full back massage treatment to ease away zee stress, Miss Rarity?”

“Please, Lotus. Show my aching heart no mercy today.”

No. I didn’t want this to happen at all. I mean, sort of, but… oh, not like this. Not anything like this. I really didn’t like Rarity being with somepony else and I didn’t want them to be together, as happy as I tried to be for her, but oh my goodness, I didn’t wish for this to happen… did I?

You’d think I’d be really excited to hear about them breaking up, but… I’m not. In fact, I feel very guilty now for having wanted them to break up. And now something really horrible happened to Rarity…

It’s almost like it’s all my fault. I got what I wanted, but at what price?

“I understand how you feel, Miss Rarity,” said Aloe, as she started warming up the bath for us. “I used to date zis handsome stallion named Button Down. Vee dated for—”

But then, Rarity interrupted her. “HooOoold on a seeEEeecooOOoond!” She made a gesture to Lotus to stop the massage. “Aloe, did you say his name was… Button Down?”

“Yes.”

“Th-that two-timing mongrel! That’s the pony I was just talking about!”

“Vhat!? You mean he vas at it again? Oh! Zee nerve of some stallions zees days! Using and discarding mares like zey vere sticks of bubble gum!”

Just then, something clicked in my head.

“Wait… his name was Button Down, you said?”

“Oh no, Fluttershy! Please please please don’t tell me you dated him too! I don’t think I can take this much longer!”

“Well, no but… I feel like I’ve heard that name somewhere before. But where?”

“Fluttershy, do you by chance read zee Equestrian Inquirer?”

“Well sometimes, when I’m in the waiting room waiting for Rarity. But why?”

“Because… I zink I know vhere you know zat name from...”

She went into the lobby. Rarity and I both looked at each other, not sure what she was doing. After a minute, she came back, clutching an issue of the Equestrian Inquirer in her mouth.

“Is zis zee colt zat you dated, Miss Rarity?”

She folded out a small table between our massage chairs and placed the tabloid down on top of it.

“Yes! That’s him! I’d recognize that smug grin of his anywhere right now! What is this, anyway? ‘That lousy colt only wanted me for my jewelry!’ claims Canterlot fashion critic Rachelle Ruby— RACHELLE RUBY!? Oh, I should’ve expected this! That streetwalker, Rachelle Ruby! If anypony were to have a piece of such a womanizer like Button, of course it’d be her!”

“But Rarity, didn’t you make a dress for her a couple weeks ago?”

“Oh, Fluttershy. I never let personal opinions influence my commissions. I try to maintain a professional relationship with all my clients, even for such an infamous harlot like Rachelle Ruby. But still, this just adds to my frustration! Button told me that he didn’t care for the snobby fashion types! I guess he reserved some of those feelings aside for Rachelle!”

“Zat’s how he vorks. He’ll say vhat he needs to in hopes of getting closer to you,” said Aloe, massaging me in a slow but very relaxing manner. “He makes you zink he vants you. I dated him for about a month. He vas so kind, so passionate, and… vell, I hate to admit it, but zee sex vas very good. But eventually, I came to my senses and realized zat he didn’t vant me for vell, me. He just vanted to live in my luxurious house and continue having sex vith me vhile also taking my money!”

“I don’t even zink Button Down is his real name,” said Lotus, as she started to massage Rarity again. “It sounds much too saucy, as if it vere some sick alias. Zee truth is zat he vants everyzing you have to give him… everyzing except your love.”

“Hmmph, figures. I finally score a date, finally think I’ve found the stallion of my dreams… and it turns out I’m dating a filthy, sleep-around moocher!”

Even now I was feeling sorry for her… but then came a sound that I really didn’t want to hear.

The soft sobbing, as she lay her head down on the chair. She was in tears.

She was crying.

I couldn’t handle that. Anything but that. I told Aloe to stop my massage.

“Oh, Rarity! Rarity, please don’t cry!”

And then, to my surprise, she embraced me in her arms, and started crying into my shoulder.

“Oh, but Fluttershy, why? Why is this happening to me? Why can’t I find true love!? Am I not good enough? Isn’t there anypony out there who loves me for more than just my natural beauty? What if I end up loveless for the rest of my life!? ALONE AND FORGOTTEN! OH, WOE IS ME!

Not sure of what else to do, I wrapped my arms around her and started speaking softly. “Ssh, ssh. It’s okay, Rarity. I’m here for you. I’ll always be here for you. And you’re a really pretty, really gorgeous, really smart pony. Don’t ever forget that. Anypony out there would be extremely lucky to be with you.”

“Oh… thank you, Fluttershy.” Her crying started to fade away. That made me feel happy. “You’ve always been such a good friend to me, making me feel better even in my worst of times.”

But maybe I could be something more than that…

“Rarity, can I ask you something?”

“Y-yes?”

“If you could meet somepony who liked you for who you were, your appearance, personality, and your really great fashion sense and all… would that be enough to make you happy?”

“Well, of course. If I could meet such a pony who would appreciate me for who I am like that, whom I could love and cherish forever… yes. That would be all I need to be happy again.”

Then this is it. The perfect time to do it.

I got up off of the chair and stood straight on my legs, trying to feel triumphant.

“Well then, Rarity, if that’s how you feel, then there’s something that I need to tell you. Something I’ve been waiting and hoping to tell you for a very long time!”

I looked over to Lotus and Aloe, and they were both leaning in, looking excited. I had told both of them before about my feelings for Rarity.

“What is it, darling?”

“Rarity, I…”

“Ooh! What’s this?”

“I— Huh?”

She wasn’t looking at me anymore. Instead she was looking at… sigh, that tabloid magazine.

“Oh! Oh, dear! I’m so sorry for interrupting you, Fluttershy. It’s just, hmm…”

She grabbed the magazine and started reading something inside. She seemed very focused on it all of a sudden… just as I was trying to finally confess my feelings towards her. And now I wish I had…

After a few stifled giggles, she put the tabloid down and got out of the chair.

“Say Fluttershy, you… wouldn’t mind watching Sweetie Belle for a couple of days, would you? I just remembered, I might need to go to Canterlot for, um… to pick up some new fabrics for the shop again!”

“Ohh, well… um… I guess, so.”

It’s too difficult to say no to Rarity. Well, actually, it’s hard for me to say no to anypony, really. Seeing their disappointed faces when I can’t help them out is usually too much for me.

But still, now I’m the one who’s pretty disappointed that the perfect moment for my confession just got ruined.

“Sorry I have to leave before the bath, girls! I need to start getting ready right away! I promise I’ll pay upfront and— Oh, goodness me, that’s right! I’m sorry Fluttershy, you were about to tell me something, weren’t you?”

“Umm… actually, that’s okay. I could- I could just wait until you get back to tell you what I… wanted to tell you.”

I didn’t want to burden Rarity by letting her know of my feelings for her right before her trip. She loves going to Canterlot, and I didn’t want her to spend her whole trip thinking about me.

…Curse my empathy.

“Oh, well okay, then. I’ll be over to drop Sweetie Belle off tomorrow, then. Ta-ta!”

“Bye… Rarity.”

And like that, she was gone.

Rarity.

My Rarity.

“Ouch,” Aloe quietly uttered.

Lotus spoke up too. “I’m… so sorry for your loss, Fluttershy.”

“Huh? What do you mean? I don’t get it. She’s just going to Canterlot for a few days to get more supplies… right? Isn’t she?”

“You should… take a look at zee magazine.”

Well, now I was curious, and worried. I set the magazine on the table and started paging through it… until I found an article that made my eyes go wide, and crushed all my spirits.

A Canterlot Noble Break-Up!
Fancy Pants And Fleur-de-Lis Tell All About Their Split!