• Published 25th Aug 2022
  • 214 Views, 5 Comments

Fluttershy Goes Shopping - Lightningstripe25



While helping Rarity run the Canterlot Carousel, she ends up having to to buy some ribbons for the afternoon rush. Can she handle the pressure of a fully crowded store?

  • ...
 5
 214

Fluttershy Goes Shopping

Author's Note:

Once again, this is my entry for a 2 day, 1.6K words writing challenge for a random character and topic. I'll admit, it's not nearly at the same level as my other story, The Last Changeling, but it was still very fun to write, so I decided to post it here as well.

The results on who won the challenge hasn't been released yet, but this was just for fun, so it doesn't matter that much whether I win or lose.

And before you all start commenting about it, yes, I'm aware that the story is 167 words over limit, but I spoke to the person who gave me the challenge and he allowed it.

“Oh dear” Rarity said when she saw the line of grumpy high-class ponies waiting at the door to the Canterlot Carousel.

“Rarity, are you sure you need my help?”

“Fluttershy, darling, you’ve been asking that since we left ponyville, of course I want your help. If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked.”

“But what about last time?” Fluttershy asked worriedly.

“Don't worry, I just need you to help with the back while Sassy is out sick, you won't even have to talk to the customers.” Rarity answered. “Now, lets go before the customers start getting angry”

Rarity went first, opening the door open for Fluttershy. But before she could go in, the other ponies scrambled inside, impatient after waiting so long. And so all she could do was lower her head and wait as they all went in to look for their next dress. Rarity gave her a sad look as the boutique filled up, and Fluttershy smiled understandingly. A few moments later, the line finally ended and Fluttershy went in, Rarity closing the door behind her.

As the day went by, both mares worked tirelessly to please the customers, Fluttershy and the raccoons helping organize the clothing backstage while Rarity and her 3 other staff dealt with the customers. It was working very well, ponies were happy with their purchases, the Carousel was gaining bits, and most importantly, Fluttershy never had to speak to anyone except for the Smoky family. That is, until the afternoon rush began.

Suddenly, Canterlot Carousel began to fill up with customers as everypony came back from lunch to grab their dresses before heading home. This was always the hardest part of the day, since anyone who needed to have clothing specifically designed to fit them, like griffins and other non-pony equines, came by to pick them up at around the same time, not to mention all the customers who wanted to get one last dress before heading home. Usually, Sassy and the others were able to hold out by having things delivered earlier, and on the worst days, Coco Pommel came by as an extra hoof, but she was busy preparing for a show and wouldn't be able to help. Meaning it was just Rarity, her three helpers, and Fluttershy, and it was about to get chaotic.

Fluttershy had been working from behind the closed door of the stock room, getting dresses ready for Rarity, when suddenly Smoky came back chittering in panic. Fluttershy looked up at the raccoon.

“What is it, Smoky?” she asked him.

Smoky chittered a few more times, gesturing towards the door and waving his paws around.

“Rarity needs help?” she said, immediately understanding what the critter said.

Smoky nodded.

Fluttershy started towards the door, but stopped short and gulped.

“Out… there?” she asked.

Smoky jumped up on her back and chittered a bit more.

“You're right,” Fluttershy said. “She needs our help.”

Fluttershy opened the door slightly and looked outside. The Carousel was completely crowded with ponies and other creatures, all wanting their dresses done. In the middle of it all was Rarity, levitating several clipboards with notes to try and organize the crowd. Fluttershy gulped again and took a step forward into the store.

When Rarity saw her, her eyes lit up. She pulled one of her assistants to her and told her to keep them occupied and quickly headed towards the pegasus.

“Thank Celestia, Fluttershy” she said. “I know I promised you that you wouldn’t have to talk to anyone, but I wasn’t expecting the Carousel to be so full! I really need your help.”

Fluttershy gulped.

“You want me to go… out there?” She said, seeming to shrink at the thought.

“Oh, goodness no!” Rarity said, reeling back. “I’m not cruel, darling. But I need you to go pick something up for me.”

“Oh… I guess I can do that,” Fluttershy said.

“I hate to ask this of you, but we’re completely out of ribbons, could you go to the store and purchase new ones?” Rarity explained.

“Oh, ok” Fluttershy said, trying to put on a strong face besides being terrified.

“I know you don't like going out in public, but I can't keep this running without them, and the customers are getting… impatient”

As if on cue, the ponies began to call out for Rarity to come back, demanding their dresses.

“Oh dear, I better get back,” she said. “Here, this should be enough for you to buy more, get as many as you can. Smoky knows where the shop is, he can show you.”

Rarity levitated a bag of bits to Fluttershy and then headed back to the crowd of demanding customers. As she did, Smoky chittered some more and pointed towards the exit.

“Come on Fluttershy, you can do this” Fluttershy said to herself. “For Rarity…”

The duo slipped past the customers and broke free of the Carousel back into the bright light of day.

The outside wasn't nearly as full as the inside, with barely anyone walking around. Fluttershy guessed it was because of the heat at this time of day. Since it was so close to where Celestia raised the sun from, and it was the highest and closest city to the sun, it tended to be hotter in the early afternoon. Smoky jumped off of Fluttershy’s back and began to lead her through the streets to where the fabric shop was.

As they walked, panic started to set in. Seeing how Canterlot Carousel was, the fabric shop had to be full as well, and that meant ponies. Ponies she'd have to get through if she was to get the ribbons. Ponies that would all be looking at her, staring at her, judging her.

Without even noticing it, she’d frozen up with fear. Smoky ran back to her and tried to calm her down, but she seemed truly stuck. Until he had an idea, and chittered something to her.

Fluttershy snapped out of her trance.

“You’re right, we have to do this to help Rarity,” she said. “So, where is the fabric shop again?”

Smoky chittered once more and pointed to a shop just a few blocks away. Fluttershy gulped.

“Let's go,” she said.

But as soon as they arrived at the front door, the panic set in again. The store was going to be full, she was going to step foot in there and everyone would stare. Horrible memories of when she was a filly came flooding in, memories of when she still lived with her parents, and from when she was bullied in school. She couldn't open the door, she just couldn't. There had to be another way of getting the ribbons that didn't involve her having to go in the store.

Seeing her second panic attack, Smoky tried to calm her down again, but she wasn't budging. Then he noticed something from the window of the shop, and took a look inside. What he saw gave him an idea. He went up to the door and opened it wide, then went back to try and snap Fluttershy out of her trance.

After a few moments, he succeeded, but at a cost. She was crying.

"I-I'm so sorry Smoky," she sobbed. "But I just… I just can't go in."

Smoky chittered a few more times, and she finally looked up to see the door was open.

"Eep!" she exclaimed, crouching down and putting her hooves in front of her face. But then she noticed something.

The store was empty.

Smoky chittered some more and walked inside. Fluttershy followed suit, but much slower

"Oh, but what if they're all somewhere else? They could be hiding…" she said, starting her panic again.

This time, however, Smoky was ready. He shook her leg and pointed to one of the shelves very close by. Fluttershy looked over only to find what they'd been looking for.

Ribbons.

Looking around to make sure no-pony saw them, she scurried to the shelf, grabbed as many as she could hold, and started walking again, feeling slightly calmer now that she hadn't seen anyone in the shop.

But the calm only lasted until she saw the checkout.

Immediately, her legs froze from under her and she started trembling.

“The cashiers are always the worst, they stare at you for the entire time, watching you, judging you…” she said. “Oh, Smoky, I can't do it.”

The raccoon raised an eyebrow and chittered something.

“Oh, especially if there’s only one of them,” she answered. “Because then they can say anything.”

“Uh, are you going to buy anything, miss?” a voice interrupted them.

The cashier, a light-orange unicorn mare with green mane who had been reading a newspaper and chewing gum, now was staring at Fluttershy confused.

“Oh, um… yes” she said, her voice going very quiet.

“I’m sorry, what was that?” the mare asked.

“Um… yes…” Fluttershy repeated, still very quiet

“I’m sorry miss, I can't hear you, do you mind coming closer?”

Fluttershy slowly stepped towards the cashier, Smoky right behind her.

“So, what is it you need?” the cashier asked.

Fluttershy froze once again, so Smoky took the lead, grabbing the ribbons and putting them on the table.

As soon as the cashier saw, her eyes lit up.

“Oh my Celestia, is that Smoky from the Canterlot Carousel?” she asked.

Fluttershy was surprised, that was the first time someone was able to tell them apart besides her.

“They do such a good job, do you take care of them?” the cashier asked.

“Well, me and Rarity did…” Fluttershy said, more confident this time.

“Wow, that's amazing!” the mare said as she scanned the ribbons. “You’re so lucky to be able to play with animals like that.”

“Lucky? Why’s that?” Fluttershy asked, her shyness slowly disappearing.

“I live in an apartment, and they don't let any animals in there,” the mare said. “But I'm planning on moving out next month. Do you know anywhere that I can find a pet?”

Fluttershy smiled.

“Actually, I do!”

The two mares talked some more about animals, Fluttershy telling her about her sanctuary in ponyville and that she’d be welcome to stop by anytime. After paying for the ribbons, Fluttershy headed back to the Canterlot Carousel.

When she got there, Rarity ran to meet her, squeezing past the still-crowded boutique.

“Oh, Fluttershy, I'm so glad you’re here,” she said, looking exhausted. “Did you get the ribbons?”

“Here” Fluttershy passed her a bag.

“Thank you so much, Fluttershy, I’m so sorry I made you go get these, it must have been awful for you!” she said.

Fluttershy smiled.

“Actually, not really”

Comments ( 5 )

That was a good story.

Comment posted by Lightningstripe25 deleted Sep 2nd, 2022

11348900
Thank you, i'm glad you enjoyed

Honestly, I don't think that Fluttershy isn't this terrified in a crowd anymore, but it was a great story nonetheless. :yay:

11365870
Thats true, she's gotten a lot better since she first started. This is supposed to take place around the time of season 5, not long after the Canterlot Carousel was opened, but i'm glad you enjoyed it! :heart:

Login or register to comment