• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 761 Views, 6 Comments

The Farewell - valinor000



Week 1 challenge for Elements of Creativity, A sad story of the loss of a close friend

  • ...
 6
 761

Chapter 1

The Farewell

It was a cold day, a haunting wind flowed through the graveyard as the bells of the church tolled in a heavy lament. Thick black clouds had been dragged across the sky, there was no doubt that Pegasi were mourning the loss as heavily as we on the ground were. The graveyard was filled with slowly moving figures, shrouded in black as the despair sunk in. The ceremony passed by in what seemed like an instant before it was my turn to speak.

“Well aren't you a weird little pony” My voice rang out from the podium, hollow and empty.

“They were the first words I remember hearing, almost 15 years ago now. Looking back, they have been more accurate then even she could have possibly known.”

I gazed around the crowd that had gathered, a sea of black cloth and silver tears. I saw Twilight standing alone, shunned by the ponies around her, a golden mane streaked through with black ribbon as she stared at the resting place of our friend. I saw as she silently whispered “She was a true friend”.

“It would take many years for me to realise it but the day that I was found on her doorstep, all alone in a little box, was the best day of my life. We are here to remember her, and in doing so, I would like to tell you of my life with her.”

Giggle at the Ghostie

“Being raised by a hyperactive pony wasn't easy for me. I was never allowed to be sad, never allowed to be melancholy, never allowed to sit and rest for longer than a minute or two. That being said, I know she loved me almost as much or even more than her pet. Her desire for me to be happy defined her life like never before, giver her a purpose greater than even the elements of harmony did and for that I am truly grateful.”

A tear fell from my eye, reflecting for a moment the black pearls that Rarity had placed on the grave. I glanced at her, my breath catching as I saw her crumple to the ground and start to cry. I was the only one to see her mouth saying “She was the worst of us”.

“Until I started school she was my constant companion, and even after that she taught me a lot about how to live life to the fullest and never let your demons get the best of you. One phrase of hers comes to mind, I'm sure you all know it: “Giggle at the Ghostie” she used to say it whenever anything bad happened, reminding me to find joy in even the worst of times. She taught me that no matter how badly I got teased or bullied by the other ponies in my class there was still joy in the world. It's no surprise to me that I was bullied and not accepted, I was, and still am, the one and only human that I know of in Equestria.”

Being Different

“My other classmates were too young to understand why I was different, and they reacted with fear and loathing. I never had to worry about that at home though, Pinkie was always accepting of me and my difference, partly I think because she understood what it was like to be different and to not belong. Her friends had spent a long time trying to understand Pinkie before finally accepting her for what she was, just a random Pony that loved everyone.”

I glanced up as Applejack stepped forward and removed her black cowpony hat,holding it close to her chest. She knelt at the graveside and whispered her farewells into the freshly dug earth, four words were all that I heard, “the best of us”.
“Pinkie used to tell me that when she was younger, she would go home with a strange feeling in her tail that she couldn't get rid of until someone smiled because of her. After she realised how happy it made her to make other ponies smile it wasn't long before she had little tricks to use on all the ponies that she knew to make them joyful. Pinkie taught me that its okay to be different and to make others happy. I even drew her a picture in school to show her as the happiness police, making sure everyone was happy enough to enjoy their day. The other ponies in class understood me after that. They knew that I was raised by Pinkie so they knew that I never would be quite normal.”

Pressure to be the best

“High school was never really an issue for me, I had my best friends Midnight Blaze and Golden Snitch with me in every class and the other children had finally accepted me as an equal. From then on, being different wasn't a problem, being the best I could be was. Although Pinkie never really told me it was clear that she wanted me to be the best I could be. Pony or no pony, Pinkie always saw the best in everyone and would gently encourage them to be better than they thought they could be. Pinkie was special like that, she could see right through anypony's disguises, no matter how much they wanted to hide from her.”

I looked to the sky as raindrops started to fall onto the solemn gathering. Rainbow Dash was hovering above the crowd, tears freely mixing with the rain as she cried over and over “Happiness is gone”.

“It was Pinkie that encouraged me to pursue my passions and dreams, her idea for me to travel the world and make contact with all the species of this place in search of my real parents. No matter how far I travelled or how many other creatures I met, I always knew, deep inside that my true family was waiting for me back home in Ponyville. Pinkie was always my northern star, my guiding light when I got lost or scared. She was always a beacon of happiness for me.”

Simple and clear

“I have been asked over the years, if I hated the day that I was left on those steps in the middle of Ponyville. Here is the answer, simple and clear: Pinkie was the best parent I could have asked for. She always gave everything she had to care for others around her. Sometimes I've wondered if my real Mother and Father didn't pick her specifically to care for me. Out of all of the Ponies in Equestria, she is the only one that could have made me accept myself for who I am.”

Fluttershy's choir started to sing their final goodbyes. The haunting tones echoed out among the crowd as Fluttershy trotted to the grave and placed a single flower by the stone. Her choking voice was clear for all to hear “I miss you Pinkie”

The Farewell

Princess Luna and Princess Celestia stepped forward, voices blending together in perfect harmony as they spoke “On this day, let it be remembered by all that Pinkamina Diane Pie was a loyal servant of Equestria, she was dedicated to improving the lives of others, not just her friends, but everyone. She was the bearer of the Element of Laughter and saviour of Equestria on numerous occasions. Let us lament this day, for she was a true friend to all, she was the worst of us when her demons overtook her but the best of us when she conquered them. Today, happiness is truly gone from Equestria and she will be missed.”

The End

Comments ( 6 )

Very good. There is a bit of mystery in here that just keeps you reading the entire story. :pinkiehappy:

1287615
Thats what I was aiming for Freeze, Thanks for the feedback :scootangel:

this was well writen
good job

WOW! I love it! I feel I am missing something though, as if there should be a story before this. I shall have to look.

Why was Twilight shunned by the others? Why did Rarity say that Pinkie was the worst of them?

Too many questions... I need answers! lol

All in all, very well done.

you have earned four mustaches! :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

1287793
Many thanks for the Mustaches (I shall wear them with pride)

The story was written over the space of 4 days for a weekly writers challenge. The unanswered questions shall indeed be answered in up-coming stories of mine (again weekly challenges).

I eventually aim to put them together into a large story known as "The lost tales of Equestria"

1287815
I do look forward to this, and I shall be watching for new stories from you.

Login or register to comment