• Published 22nd Feb 2022
  • 469 Views, 16 Comments

Hopes 'n DreamsVerse: A Better Beginnings - The HopesnDreamsVerse



Meteor Star is almost exactly like his mother before him in the fact that he's invested in his studies, so Twilight sends him to Ponyville to get him to lighten up.

  • ...
 16
 469

Chapter Six: Towards the Unknown

They left Zecora's soon after, with a couple things per Zuri's insistence. Scarlet Rosebud clutched the map of Equestria beneath her folded wing as well as a canteen. The strong-smelling sludge bubbling in the cauldron had turned out to be a sort of all-purpose healing remedy, and the two zebras had insisted they take a canteen of the stuff just in case. “Lots of dangers out that way.” Zecora warned. “Better to be safe than sorry any day.”

“Well, we have a lead, so that's something, I guess.” Prismarine said as they continued on through the forest.

Meteor didn't think it was a bad start at all, they knew exactly where they needed to be and how to get there from the map. It's just a matter of how long it'll take. . .and what we'll do when we get there. He thought.

“According to the map we shouldnt have far to go to reach the end of the Everfree forest.” Honeycrisp pointed out.

Meteor looked up at the barely visible sky above. It was partially blocked by looming evergreens, but from what he could see, it was already getting dark. “We better hurry, nights not that far off.” He commented, pointing up at the sky. It had to be around five or six by now.

“Mm, we really shouldn't be out here in the dark.” Strawberry murmured.

Rosebud waved a paw. “Ah, don't worry, we'll be fine. You have me, remember?” She called back to him.

“But isn't it kinda exciting? Thrilling?” Diamond Crest asked, a little hop in her step. Immediately though, she seemed to frown and shrunk a bit as she walked, ears turning pink.

“Hey, it's okay Diamond.” Rosebud bleated, noticing the unicorn's change in demeanor. “You're with friends, you don't have to pretend with us, it's just us, no family around.” She said, drawing back to walk alongside her younger friend and bump shoulders with her. Diamond gave off a small smile at that, took a deep breath, and nodded silently.

Meteor didn't understand what she was talking about, but he got the feeling that it was none of his business and kept silent, just focusing on the path ahead.

As the sky darkened, everypony walked in silence, all on alert whenever a noise graced their ears. Meteor found himself jumping whenever an owl hooted or a tree root or vine came up on the path to trip him up. Finally, as it got almost too dark to see, Rosebud stopped. Meteor lit his horn, as did Diamond.

Prismarine, who had apparently gone ahead a bit, came back with news. “There's a clearing up ahead, there's still trees blocking most of the sky but it seems like a reasonable place to stop.” She reported to Rosebud.

Meteor's hooves we're killing him, to put it dramatically, and nothing felt better than a chance to stop and rest. Rosebud's drooping ears perked back up. “Ah, well spotted, Priz.” She purred. “C'mon everypony, once we get there we can settle down for the night.”

For the night?! Meteor thought, alarmed. He didn't know what he was expecting, it was getting late and they were nowhere near their destination. Bitterly, he followed the group into said clearing. At least we get to sleep. He thought, trying to follow Marshmallow's words and stay optimistic.

The clearing, in the light of his horn, was decently sized, with short grass, flat ground, and surrounded by trees and underbrush. Rosebud gave a hum of joy and trotted up to the center of the clearing. “Perfect, we'll camp here and make a fire.”

“But, how—” Meteor began, but Prismarine held out a hoof to cut him off. “Watch.” She said. Rosebud crouched down in the center.

With a press of her paw on a patch of bare earth, the light of a hot, orange flame appeared, along with a ring of stones and a couple of sticks underneath it. The drac-pony's paw retreated just out of reach as soon as it appeared. Meteor watched in awe as three half logs appeared around the magical campfire, and he smiled as he lowered himself onto one, grateful to be off his hooves. The other ponies in the group all gave off little utterances of their own, in awe and in thanks to their chaotically magical friend.

“I think this is also a good opportunity to get to know each other a little better. Well, have Prince Meteor get to know us a bit better I mean, and us to get to know him.” Rosebud bleated after politely brushing off the praise. She settled down right in front of Meteor's log, wrapping her tail around her like a cat and rubbing her paws together to magically add more flame to the fire.

Prismarine took her spot on the next log over, leaning back against it while Diamond Crest timidly lowered herself on the log's other end. In tow, Honeycrisp sat next to Rosebud's other side, and Marshmallow and Strawberry inhabited the log on the other side of the warm fire. Meteor stretched his hooves out in front of him, the cold of Luna's night seeping away as the flame did its job.

“How's that?” Prismarine asked, looking over at Rosebud, both fore-legs behind her head, though she was keeping an eye on the shadows gathered around them.

Rosebud looked at Meteor Star and Meteor met her gaze out of pure politeness. As much as it was cool that this drac-pony was all powerful, Meteor would have preferred to just fall asleep after all the walking he had done. But he would just have to accept that he couldn't be pampered out here, not anymore.

“Well, how about we all ask you a question, and you reply. Then you can ask all of us a question of your own, and we will answer honestly.” The chimera asked. Meteor didn't see any reason to argue, so he shrugged and nodded at the same time. Rosebud's ears wiggled excitedly again, and for a fleeting moment, Meteor absent-mindedly was reminded of a hippo. “Alrighty then!” Rosebud said. “I'll go first if nopony minds.”

Everyone gave small murmurs of approval.

“Okay, so, if you don't mind me asking, a-are you nearsighted or farsighted?” She asked, voice going softer and a bit hesitant.

Meteor had no qualms answering, he had had to live with his glasses since he was four. “Far.” He answered simply.

“Oh! I thought you'd think I was being rude.” She said, ruby eyes widening slightly.

Meteor shook his head. “I'm not insecure about it, so I don't care if I'm asked.” He said, and Rosebud smiled wide in relief.

“Me next, Princy.” Pastel Prismarine muttered and Meteor turned to her, albeit begrudgingly.

“Yeah, okay.” He said through gritted teeth.

Prismarine seemed to take humor in his dislike of her, and the corners of her mouth curled up. “How come you're not an alicorn like mommy Queen?” She asked nonchalantly.

Meteor, who was frowning, frowned deeper. “Just because she's an alicorn doesn't mean I have to be one.” He said, retaining his temper. “My dad's an earth pony and my mom used to be a unicorn, it's not that hard to understand, is it? My cousin, Pura, isn't an alicorn, and she also has a royal parent. Besides, has anyone ever heard of a male alicorn?” A bit of sarcasm slipped into his voice, which only made Prismarine's smirk widen.

“Fair.” She grunted with an ugly chuckle.

“You next, Dia.” Rosebud offered, and Diamond Crest stiffened up, a dusting of pink gracing her cheeks.

“Oh uh, um. . .well. . .” She put a hoof to her mouth to clear her throat, before continuing. “Do you. . . agree that Eluto shouldn't be classified as a planet?” She asked, cheeks reddening as if she were embarrassed that that was the best question she had.

Meteor jumped right in, he hadn't been expecting any space related questions, and about the controversial seventh planet no less. Not a bad surprise by any means. “Oh well, it is smaller than the other planets and I have even gone into study of it myself, finding that indeed Eluto hasn't cleared its neighboring region of other objects, just like the Union said, and that it just doesn't meet all the criteria of said EAU and therefore cannot be a true celestial body.” He said, straight from his known knowledge of it. Anypony would be dumb to think of that tiny excuse for a astronomical entity as a planet. He thought laughingly.

Diamond Crest turned much darker and hid behind her forehooves, bringing them up under her eyes. “Oh. . .okay. . .” She murmured, sounding disappointed. Meteor blinked at her behavior, but before he could dwell on it, Honeycrisp had asked his question.

“Dogs, cats, or guinea pigs?” He asked, arms crossed and leering down his snout at Meteor, as if this were the most serious and important question in the world.

Meteor shrunk under his gaze slightly, but remembering his status, he forced himself to straighten up. “Cats. . . and yeah, I like guinea pigs too, I guess. Dogs don't like me much, however.”

Thank you! See S'more? I'm not the only one!” Strawberry exclaimed, making Meteor's ear swivel back towards him, but the rest of his focus was on Honeycrisp.

The farm pony's glare narrowed slightly before he shrugged. “Good enough.” He huffed, leaning back against his log.

“Me next.” Toasted Marshmallow exclaimed, and Meteor turned to the log opposite of his, settling into a more comfortable forward position. The poofy-haired stallion was leaning casually with one arm up on the log, yet his expression was bold and overly-chipper. “How many moles of sodium bicarbonate are needed to neutralize 0.8ml of sulfuric acid at STP?” He blurted.

Meteor was completely caught off guard by the question and he gaped for a moment, at a loss for words. Two nerdy questions in one sitting? Now this was more up his alley. . . too bad there wasn't a solid answer to this query. He was about to tell Marshmallow just that when the orange stallion's grin grew practically from ear to ear and he began to laugh. “Ha! I knew there was a way to catch you off-guard, smart guy! I know there's no real answer.” He squawked. He then proceeded to look very proud of himself for the rest of the Q&A.

Meteor felt his ears and face grow hot, and he knew he must be blushing from ears to neck like he usually did when he was embarrassed. Jerk. He thought sourly, scowling again as a few others laughed at the joke.

Lastly it was Strawberry's turn. The pink stallion, sitting normally beside his brother, took a dramatic gasp of air as if to spout out another complicated brainy question to go with the other two. Meteor was ready, whatever it was, he could take it.

“What's your favorite color?!” He said quickly, he too grinning ear-to-ear.

Meteor choked. What? Really? After that? He thought. Absent-mindedly he gave his autopilot answer for when anypony had asked him this exact thing in his colthood. “Violet.” He sputtered. He had always fancied his and his parents' bluish-purplish coats and manes. Diamond Crest, recovered, opened her mouth interestedly as if to say something, but closed it again pretty quick.

“Hey, not bad! Though I prefer maroon and pink myself.” Strawberry said. “Well, guess it's your turn to ask the questions, just throw them at us!”

Meteor sighed, he didn't have very many questions that weren't rude towards his companions personalities, and anyway they probably wouldn't be as good as the questions that he was asked to answer ( most of them ); but in an effort to keep up with his rescue team, he went along with them anyway. “Okay, um, Rosebud, do you have all of your dad's powers, or just some?”

“All as far as I can tell.” Rosebud answered, glancing at the sky a bit confusedly. “I'm not very. . . embracive of my powers, so I wouldn't know for sure. I-I don't practice much.”

She looked to Honeycrisp, who looked at her in turn. “You really should y'know, we all like your chaos magic.” He said steadily. Rosebud smiled at him, but didn't say anything more.

Meteor, recognizing the question to be answered as much as it could be, looked to Honeycrisp. “What's your special talent? I can't seem to figure it out.” He asked.

Honeycrisp glanced down at his flank, which was marked with a sphere shaped depiction of fields and a red barn. “Farmin' 'o course.” He growled. “Ah belong on the farm, always be'n good with the animals an' maintainin' the garden. . .”

“Me next!” Prismarine piped up, raising a hoof.

Meteor wasn't even sure that Honeycrisp had finished, but the farm pony didn't complain, so the unicorn shot his next question towards the brutish pegasus. “How fast can you fly? Like how much wing power from my mom's invention —that you've most likely heard of— to be precise.”

“13.5 wing power. Yeah, my mom still has it too.” She answered simply. “The Flight Meter machine, I mean.” She added when Strawberry raised a confused hoof. Meteor flashed his brows. Huh, that is. . . really fast. Is Aunt Rainbow really that much faster? He wondered.

“Diamond's turn.” Prismarine said. Diamond inhaled sharply and straightened up. Meteor, still a little weirded out by her behavior, stumbled over his words a moment before asking.

“I noticed some of what looked like black cat fur on you earlier, uh, do you. . . have a cat?”

The white unicorn suddenly broke out a smile and her tense shoulders seemed to relax. “Oh, I have two. Onyx is the black cat. He's really old and I've had him since he was a kitten, we sort of grew up together and he's really the best! Moon is my newer kitten, she's silver and white and my dad got her for me for my birthday last year. She's a little bit of a moody tsundere but she's really a cuddly thing once she gets to know you.”

Meteor was surprised again, to say the least, about her sudden ramble of words. He hadn't heard her sound so comfortable before. It was a complete change from her flustered state today, and he found he could talk to her a bit easier now that she had come out of her shell. “You. . . read Neighponese Manega?” He asked, quickly catching onto her use of the word 'tsundere' and now dying to know if it was so.

Diamond Crest gave a little squeak, and deflated back into her blushy state again, but she didn't turn completely unreachable this time. “Um. . . yes?” She said timidly.

“I read those too!” Meteor said, awed. I thought other ponies saw them as dumb, or for kids or something. . . He thought. “Well, w-which are your favorites? I'm quite partial to Apple Basket and Complete Iron Unicorns myself.” He said, smiling slightly.

“I like those too!” Diamond said, grinning and leaning forward to finally look him in the eye. “Though my favorites are Young Wizard Academy and Attack Alicorn. Oh! And I love Dark Servant.”

“That last one's one of my favorites.” Meteor Star agreed, smiling wide as he thought over all the other Manega he and her potentially both liked in common. “Dark Knight is just so interesting to read about.” He commented, with a swoony expression as he thought of the dark and mysterious fictional character.

“Well lookie here, it's a match.” Prismarine huffed from behind him, and Meteor immediately blushed.

He and Diamond Crest both glanced over at the dark pegasus, who was grinning teasingly at them. “Prism!” Diamond squeaked, turning red, and Meteor gave her a revolted glare.

“Oh, shut it!” He snapped as Marshmallow proceeded to wolf whistle at them from behind their backs.

There was a chorus of stifled giggles and Meteor sat back against the log, crossing his hooves testily. “Ehm” He cleared his throat, brushing it off. “I mean— interesting choices Diamond, those seem to be my preferences too.” He said in a calm, cool voice, and he looked across the way to Toasted Marshmallow, who still seemed to be snickering behind glittering eyes.

“So,” He began and the party pony shifted in his spot, focusing his whole attention on Meteor Star. “What do you specialize in Ponyville? Besides being a. . . comedian, was it?”

“Ehh, I prefer to think of myself as more of an entertainer.” Marshmallow shrugged. “Other than that though, I help with the party planning, decorating, baking - I work at the 'Corner, impress every mare I meet, that sort of thing.”

Strawberry Sundae, after rolling his eyes, unnecessarily leaned over into Meteor's line of sight. “We both act as entertainment at Mom's parties. We do comedic acts together for them, as well as perform one Comedy Hour in Town Square every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.” He said proudly, patting his twin on the head, which was followed by an exchange of unamused eyes on Marshmallow's side and a cheeky grin on Strawberry's side, which Meteor did not understand the meaning of.

Meteor prepared his last question, looking at Strawberry Sundae. “And what's your special talent?” He asked. Strawberry Sundae smiled and straightened up. “I got my cutie-mark after I was shown the art of card trickery and I preformed one such trick while also juggling for the first time, on stage, at one of Mom's parties—oh, don't ask— and that's how I found out I'm particularly good at jesting for the crowd! And since jesters are masters of trickery, that means it certainly spreads beyond just stage performance, and though some things can occur to make my pranks and conundrums backfire at times, I'm always upping my game to make even better and greater contraptions!” He answered confidently. “I range from whoopie cushions to animal traps in which I use to keep S'more's dog from ruining my stuff.” He shot Marshmallow with a quick glare.

“Can't blame her for having the instinct to chew.” Marshmallow shrugged.

“Remember when we found them passed out together on the couch?” Scarlet Rosebud asked, and everyone except Strawberry and Honeycrisp laughed. Meteor blinked, having no context and stayed silent.

Strawberry was suddenly flushed from ears to chest. “I can't control what she does when I sleep!” He hissed.

“Alright, alright, don't pop a vein there.” Marshmallow chided, smacking another cupcake from out of nowhere into Strawberry's babbling mouth.

It wasn't long until the group settled down from their giggles and Meteor yawned, his energy sapped. Rosebud let out a yawn of her own and got to her feet. “Well, I think we all know that we won't be getting anywhere in the dark, we're all tired so the only thing we can really do is sleep until morning.” She said.

“Oh, I hoped we would've been back home by now.” Diamond Crest sighed.

Prismarine shrugged, still keeping an eye out at the darkness of the Everfree around them. “Yeah, what are we gonna do if timberwolves or cockatrices or whatever decide to eat us or turn us to stone while we're off guard?” She muttered coolly.

“Wolves? Cockatrices?” Strawberry Sundae gulped, turning to stare out at the black void off to his left.

Meteor couldn't help but agree. So far as they had kept moving and stuck together nothing had dared to jump out and attack them, but what about when they were all asleep and defenseless? He turned his gaze quickly to Rosebud, hoping she had some trick up her sleeve that would keep them safe or at least reassure him.

Rosebud smiled confidently. “Hey, hey, you all know that if we ever were attacked, that I can deal with any animal the Everfree can throw at us.” She said, lifting her paw and readying the digits as if to snap them. “And anyway, I won't even need to deal with them. No animals will be able to get at us tonight.”

She let out a little chuckle and snapped her fingers. Promptly, a shield of red light enveloped over the small clearing in a dome-like shape. It shimmered brightly crimson once before settling into what appeared as a twinkling, slightly tinted bowl engulfing the clearing in which they stood.

Meteor jumped to his hooves in surprise. Woah! He thought, blinking a couple times in disbelief. Everypony else gave small exclamations of excitement and wonder.

“Magic never gets old.” Diamond Crest sighed.

“Especially hers.” Marshmallow added almost in a whisper.

Rosebud blushed softly. “Just a little something dad taught me.” She shrugged. Meteor had to admit, the drac-pony was beyond impressive when it came to magic. That almost looked like Uncle Shining's shielding spell. His uncle had tried to teach him multiple times but Meteor had never been able to do it. Shining Armor suspected it was because the spell he did was specific to his special talent and cutie-mark. Maybe Discord could teach me his own spell instead? Meteor wondered.

Rosebud snapped her fingers again, and Meteor startled as a sleeping bag appeared at his hooves. He looked around to see that six others had materialized around the fire as well. “Huddle down everyone, we'll think about where we're going next in the morning.” Rosebud said, unzipping her bag and laying it down up against the foot of the log.

We're sleeping on the ground? Meteor thought in annoyance, but unzipped his bag and settled it near the logs end, uncomplaining.

“But aren't there magical creatures out here too? I know your magic's powerful Rosebud, but it isn't impenetrable against other magic sources.” Strawberry Sundae pointed out, ears swiveling nervously as if listening to something in the trees.

“Everfree animals can have magic, yes, but they're all single-skills and not nearly powerful enough to break chaos magic, even if I have been using it a shorter time than my father.” Rosebud reassured, settling down in her bag. “And I can keep up spells even when I'm asleep — you and Toast out of all ponies know that. We'll be fine.”

Strawberry's gaze flickered away from hers and he shuffled his hooves as he stood to ready his bag, obviously still doubtful.

Marshmallow noticed, stood up and clapped a hoof on the other pony's shoulder, giving him a soft, reassuring smile. “Hey, if you're really that worried, how about I stay up on lookout for a bit? It's a good idea, even with your protection.” He added to Rosebud.

Strawberry's shoulders seemed to relax. “That would settle my nerves, yes.” He murmured shyly.

“True.” Rosebud agreed, though her eyes were unsure. “But only if you're sure you're up for it?” She asked.

Marshmallow brushed her off and stood up. “Of course I'm sure.” He said, before trotting towards the edge of the protective shield where the sky was most visible, shimmying up a leaning tree, and settling on a thick branch a few feet above them, dangling one hoof calmly over the edge. “I'll let you know if I see anything potentially of concern, Rosey.” He said, before fixing his gaze on the trees ahead.

Reassured that they were safe, Meteor climbed into his bag, as did all the others and tried his best to fall asleep. It was strange, seeing dark trees, a campfire, and companions all around him instead of his familiar bedroom. The ground was somewhat hard even through his cushy sleeping bag, and he huddled deep into the silky folds until he was comfortable. His stomach rumbled softly but he wasn't about to admit it and complain. He just closed his eyes, taking slow, steady breaths as to tune it out and get some rest.

“Goodnight Honeycrisp.” Rosebud's voice sounded after a moments silence, making Meteor's eyes fly back open.

“Goodnight Rosebud.” Came the hardy stallion's slow reply,

“Goodnight Diamond, Goodnight Prism, Goodnight Sunny.” Rosebud repeated to the others. They all replied in unison.

Meteor, perplexed by this lengthy exchange, blinked and looked questioningly down at Rosebud, who's rosey head was just visible down near his hind hooves.

“Goodnight Toast.” She added, shifting her head to look up near his perch.

“'Night Rosie.” Marshmallow replied from above.

“Goodnight Meteor.” Rosebud said finally, making Meteor flinch. He didn't know how to respond. This exchange of goodnights was so new to him, usually he only said goodnight to both his parents at the same time, they'd reply, and he went to bed, simple as that. He'd never heard it from or said it to anypony else, at least not ponies he barely knew.

“Uh, 'night?” He murmured uncertainly, feeling it strange to be included as if he were one of them.

Then there was silence for a moment, letting Meteor recompose himself from that unfamiliar experience.

“Goodnight, S'more, Diamond, Prism, Meteor, and Honeycrisp.” Strawberry chimed up a few moments later.

Diamond chuckled softly before answering. “Goodnight Strawberry, Honeycrisp, Pris—”

“Oh, for Celestia's sake! Everypony, go to sleep!” Prism snarled before any more unnecessary goodnights could be given. Everypony fell silent, some stifling snickers. Meteor had to admit that it had amused him as well as he stifled a snicker of his own.

Toasted Marshmallow gave an amused chuckle from up in his tree. “Goodnight, everyone.” He concluded fairly. Meteor nodded and closed his eyes again. Yeah, that's much quicker and more efficient. He thought happily, before he and everyone else finally focused on just falling asleep.


Meteor Star woke, looking up at a gray early sky through a gap in the dark trees above his head. He felt slightly stiff and blinked as the cold stung his exposed face. He was chilled yet his back half was caught in a sort of stuffy warmth. He ran a hoof over his forehead and shifted onto his side, somehow having flipped onto his back in his sleep, his back aching from sleeping on hard earth. It was cold and he moved around in his sleeping bag to bring feeling back to his limbs.

Vision blurry, he groped around at the short grass around him for his glasses. Feeling his hoof hit a lense, he brought the specticals back to his face and blinked a few times as his vision cleared. Taking in his surroundings, he lifted his head up slightly. The fire had gone out and the shield still shimmered softly, indicating it had held up through the night. All around him, the others were all waking. Only Diamond still seemed to be fast asleep, her ears poking out from inside her sleeping bag.

Rosebud was the first one to say anything, as she rubbed her eyes with a paw and rolled over onto her stomach. “Sleep alright everypony?” She yawned. Honeycrisp, who was already standing, approached her and offered her a hoof. She took it and got to her feet.

There was a murmur of positive replies as everypony sat up and Prismarine came over to shake Diamond awake.

A little stiff and cold, but not too bad. Meteor thought, sitting up and bringing his knees up to his chest to hug them and rid them of their stuffy restrictions.

“Could've been worse.” Strawberry grumbled, running his hooves through his curly mane —which was ruffled and sticking up at all angles— in a desprate attempt to tame it.

Scarlet Rosebud reached up a paw to remove the furled, browning rose from her hair, before willing it out of existence and conjuring a new one, this one was soft pink and luchiously full. She then stepped up to the campfire logs and rekindled the flames with magic.

Everypony gathered around it to get warm and stretch out their limbs. Diamond blinked slowly a few times, clearly struggling to clear the fog of sleep from her eyes, Prismarine seemed to be doing an entire stretch out routine beside her, and Strawberry Sundae was still pawing subduedly at a few curls that refused to go back into place. “Anyone seen S'more?” He asked, distractedly, tongue poking out the side of his mouth.

“Well, about time you lot woke up.” Toasted Marshmallow's voice came as he trotted out of the trees.

Prismarine blinked at him as he too sat down beside the fire. “And where've you been?” She asked, crossing her hooves.

“Just scouting ahead if you must know, Priz.” Marshmallow answered teasingly. “Checking for dangers, making sure we have a clear path out of the Everfree.”

“Nice." Strawberry said, giving Marshmallow an amused look. “Usually I'm the one waiting for you to get up.”

The smaller stallion blinked deliberately but then shook his head in dismissal, seemingly amused.

“How long until we make it out?” Honeycrisp asked him, holding out his forehooves to the warmth of the fire.

“Oh, it's not far now, just up over that rise a ways.” Marshmallow said, pointing a hoof behind him at where, in the light of the day, they could see the ground sloping upwards.

“You didn't stay up all night, did you?” Diamond checked suspiciously.

Prismarine answered for him. “Nah, he woke me up around three to take over, I simply saw him leave a little bit ago and decided to doze until you all woke too.”

Meteor was once again reminded by his stomach that he hadn't eaten since the slice of pie the day before. He tried to stifle it with a hoof but undoubtedly Rosebud who sat beside him, noticed. However, she didn't call him out. “Well, no use moving forward on empty stomaches now is there?” She said.

She swirled her paws before her and in the air appeared a stack of hay-cakes dripping in syrup. Everypony's attentions were turned to the sight of food and Rosebud floated one to each of her companions, who all caught them in their mouths as to not get their hooves sticky.

Meteor's mouth salivated as a hay-cake came his way, and he reached out his snout to grab it in his teeth, not even bothering to use his magic. He closed his eyes as he chewed, savoring the flavour of cooked hay batter and sweet, liquid maple on his tongue. It was a bit big to stuff into his mouth at once, and he half hid his face in embarrassment with a hoof.

It was a fulfilling breakfast and everyone gradually started to disperse a bit to their respective logs, starting one on one conversations while munching on seconds.

Meteor found himself on one end of his log alone while Rosebud and Honeycrisp conversed on the other side.

As he chewed on the last couple bites his thoughts enveloped him, going over yesterday's events and the current situation. How had everything changed so quickly? It had been just yesterday morning that he had been in his own bed, in his home, with his books and his parents and castle staff, and now he was out in the forest, camping with his honorary cousins, the grown and teenage children of his mother's Council of Friendship, of her best friends. Her family.

Technically my family, huh? He thought. It's all so strange, this friendship thing. These ponies, though they didn't always get along perfectly, seemed to know each other so well, maybe even trusted each other. Some of these ponies' parents had been been taken hostage and here were other ponies like Rosebud, and Honeycrisp, and the Pie twins, who hadn't been affected, but still seemed to care about it as much as if they had been; enough to go on a crazy journey to fight a villain they knew close to nothing about, that was for sure. I came on this crazy journey too. Meteor realized.

“Somthing on your mind?” Scarlet Rosebud asked, sliding down the log to his side. He blinked out of his thoughts to look at her.

He stood up and shrugged. “Just thinking. . .” He said. When the drac-pony didn't reply he continued apprehensively. “About the journey so far, and what's to come. . .and about you guys I guess.”

“What about us?” Rosebud asked softly, standing up and circling around to face him.

Meteor chewed his lip in thought for a moment. “Well, I don't know, it's just that you all seem so supportive and close to each other —well most of you, to a degree— and you haven't been talking to me as if I was a newcomer, you seemed to let me into the group, just like that, it seems to me that you're all acting like it's normal I'm here.”

Rosebud was silent for a moment before she pursed her lips and copied him looking off into the distance. “Well for us it kind of is normal to let others with some kind of connection to us into the group, and suddenly being thrown into a situation you're not used to has gotta be hard. I guess it's only moral and natural that we want to make you feel as welcome as possible, even if some of the others' methods can be a little. . . er, much.” She answered.

Meteor blinked in confusion. So they just. . . Care about me enough to want to make me feel welcome, like I was just another pony in their friend group? Just like that? Without even knowing me. . .? That didn't make much sense to him, how could you care about someone you didn't know? Meteor cared about ponies, he cared about his parents and his cousins because they were family, to love your own blood was natural to ordinary ponies with good-enough home lives. He cared about his subjects to the degree that he didn't want them to die, but that was it, wasn't that normal?

“By the look on your face I'd say you find that a little hard to believe?” Rosebud caught on, looking at him now, voice soft and nonjudgmental.

Meteor choked. Oh boy, am I that obvious? He wondered, clearing his throat. “Oh, w-well, I guess I just don't understand, I don't really do the friendship thing so I—”

“Yeah I gathered that too.” Rosebud interrupted smoothly, looking slightly amused. “I'm not going to judge though. To each their own. But I am willing to at least try and help you understand better and maybe once you see for yourself while on our journey what a wonderful and handy thing friendship can be, perhaps you'll change your mind?”

“Uh, I don't know—” Meteor began, feeling even more unsure about the way he saw the concept.

Rosebud held up a paw to silence him, catching him with a understanding look. “Just give us a chance. I mean you're stuck with us now, but really we're not so bad, right? Some of us may be a bit difficult—” Meteor followed her gaze over to Prismarine and Honeycrisp. “—or maybe a bit extra—” He followed her gaze to Strawberry and Marshmallow. “—but at the end of the day, we all have things to contribute, qualities that others will like about us. Pretty soon I think you could grow to like them too, if you just open your mind up to it — I know I have.” Rosebud's eyes were shining more and more as she spoke until Meteor could almost feel the affection she had for her friends when she looked past him to look at them.

The prince felt a bit taken aback. Could I really? I mean, I've only just been tolerating them this whole time haven't I? Then again, he did begrudgingly recall moments with them that he had enjoyed somewhat. She seems to believe I could, and it's obvious she feels like that herself. . . But still what is there to having friends that is even worth having them in the first place? Am I really missing anything? I've never needed friends before to rely on, I never needed friends before at all, so why would I need them now?

“So you're saying that I may be surprised.” Meteor concluded.

Rosebud nodded cheerily, “Ponies can surprise you with how much more there is to them then what you see on the outside. Once you get to know them you can find all kinds of good qualities or even just traits you can appreciate more, once you get to like them you start to care about them and trust them. Care and trust are the main aspects of friendship, and true friendship is stemmed from a sense of love, and love keeps us united, as if we were a family.”

“So because you care about them, your friends with them, and because you are friends with them—” Meteor began, calculating.

“They are like a part of my family.” Rosebud concluded for him. “And like I would with family, I love my friends, and I'd do anything for them.” A purr rumbled in her throat and she gave a little twirling side-step, looking content and so sincere.

“Anything?” Meteor wondered aloud, a bit skeptical. Well sure he'd do anything for his family, who wouldn't. . .but then he realized what she was saying. According to Rosebud, her friends were her family, just like how his mother was like family to all their parents. I never thought of it that way.

“Um, Rosebud?” Strawberry asked the drac-pony hesitantly, giving her a sheepish grin and shuffling his hooves. Rosebud looked at him questioningly, before giving him a knowing smile, conjuring a roll of a certain type of paper, and tossing it to him. “Thanks.” He hiccuped, taking it, before zooming off into the trees.

“Share with whoever needs it!” Rosebud called after him, smiling widely, before she turned to beam at Meteor. “Anything.”


When they got moving a little while later, Meteor thought about what she had said. So according to her experience, that's what friendships are about: caring so much about someone, loving someone so much, that you would do anything for them, like they were your own family. He reiterated. Seems like a lot of work to me. . . He thought in an attempt to block out any flaws that he had started to see in his pessimistic outlook on companionship. And yet. . .

“Whoo, boy.” Rosebud said from up front, holding out the map. “This seems like such a long way doesn't it? We don't know what that villain is going to do with the 'Bolts. We may need to get there really soon and this seems like a couple days' walk.”

“It would be much faster if we could just fly there.” Prismarine grumped, coming up to fly beside her. “I could be there in a couple hours tops.”

“Hey, not a bad idea actually.” Rosebud said, stopping. She turned to the group, who stopped when she did. “Why don't you and I carry them there?! I can enchant both of us to give us strength enough to carry one or two at a time. What do you think, everypony?”

Meteor drew in a breath. Fly? He thought, his conflicted ponderings interrupted and forgotten, replaced by a sudden adamant wishing that he was anywhere else.

Prismarine didn't look too pleased either. “Carry?” She spat, glowering. “Nuh-uh, not happening!”

“Oh c'mon! Live a little!” Marshmallow called to her.

Scarlet Rosebud turned to the black pegasus with patient eyes. “Please, Prism? It would get us there faster, and don't you want to save your parents?” She asked. Prismarine didn't answer, just averted her gaze and furrowed her thick brows.

“The sooner we get to them and bring them back, the sooner we can return to Ponyville and you can avoid us all for as long as you like.”

That got Prismarine's attention. Next thing Meteor Star knew, he was being hoisted onto Prismarine's feathery back, her fur and plumage uncomfortably rubbing against the unicorn's skin, who had never been one for physical contact, even from ponies he knew well. By the shutter under him, he thought that Prism thought the same.

Not only that but Diamond Crest was pressed against his side, trying to avoid sliding off, and he had to lean his head as far away from her as possible to retain some kind of comfort. As the pegasus began to rise into the air, great black wings obscuring his vision and making him feel inescapably inclosed with every flap, Meteor lurched forward and tried to grip her shoulders with his smooth, ungripping hooves, the sudden movement making his stomach flip.

Why did I agree to thiiiiiissss! He thought as in an instant he was suddenly many feet above the ground. There was a moment where Prismarine leaned back, before she flew forward, though not at top speed, yet it was fast enough to make Meteor shriek from the sudden momentum and the young stallion found himself clinging with his arms around Prismarine's neck, over lapping with Diamonds, who also looked terrified.

“Sit still, will ya?” Meteor heard the brutish mare yell at him, but he couldn't process her words, his heart was being thrown in every direction inside his chest, the ground now a mile away and freezing air blasting against his face, making him squint.

His head was pressed just above one arm and he could see Rosebud flying a few feet away, Honeycrisp clinging impossibly on her back, fidgeting awkwardly. Just behind her came Strawberry Sundae and Toasted Marshmallow, both of whom had tied bunches of balloons around their waists which somehow allowed them to fly alongside the pegasi, bouncy tails whirring like fluffy propellers.

Meteor lost track of time with the air stinging his eyes and the freezing wind blowing his mane and coat back behind him. Halfway through the few hour flight, he felt his nerves slowly loosening, and not looking down, he started to appreciate the steady flight pattern. He heard Diamond Crest let out a whoop of joy beside him, which somewhat settled down his rapid heart enough that he managed to enjoy the fun of moving through the open skies.

I probably wouldn't mind having been born with wings. He mused, finding himself laughing alongside Diamond Crest, looking out at the vast landscape before them.

"Beats walking, huh?" Rosebud exclaimed, and he turned his head to see her swooping closer to them, Honeycrisp still clinging for dear life, shaking his head in answer to the question that hadn't been directed at him.

Meteor went to shrug but hated how he shifted and clung tighter despite Prism's snort of discomfort. "I for one, can't wait to get the clingers off of my back!" She growled.

"I love it!" Diamond Crest exclaimed, before hollering happily again.

Meteor had to admit, it was thrilling at the least, and the happy laughter of many of the ponies around him sent a strangely warm feeling trickle down his spine.

He listened as a flock of geese flew by, watching them fly past them in the near distance, then looked in awe at a twirling, spiraling flock of starlings that dashed away into the distance. Meteor suddenly wondered with a little thrill what the stars were like from up this high.

Well, actually they weren't flying high at all, just enough to scale the trees, and he occasionally would feel Prismarine's hooves brush the tops of the sky-high plants, still it was higher up than he'd ever been. He remembered the few times his mother had let him ride on her back as she flew, but little Meteor hadn't the tolerance to stay up with her long and she never flew higher than he was comfortable with.

"Woah!" Rosebud exclaimed from the front, breaking Meteor out of his thoughts. He looked up to see what she was seeing and gulped. There, just up ahead was a vast dark smudge of treacherous terrain, and among it, the drooping vines of too-green trees.

I think we're close. Meteor thought with a shiver, this one cold and daunting, causing Diamond beside him to shutter as well. I think we've come to The Forbidden Jungle. . .

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait! Had a BAD case of writers block when it came to this story, but hopefully that won't happen too severely in the future. :rainbowderp: I don't have a voice claim for Strawberry Sundae even now, as I have a very specific voice playing in my head and I find it hard to explain. . . however, I think Peter New could probably pull it off if he was instructed on how it should sound, a bit like his Discord voice for Pony Life but with slight tweaks to make it more Sunny-esk, if that makes sense :twilightsheepish: I know, I know, I'm very particular *sigh*

Also double sorry if the ending is kinda abrupt, I just wanted to get it out already and it was getting like really long.

Comments ( 2 )

Why isn't there a slice of life tag?

11590089
I guess because I didn't initially plan for it to be in that category? I didn't even realize it strayed into that territory and still don't see how it does, but if it qualifies then I guess I'll add it.

Login or register to comment