• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 4,628 Views, 1,089 Comments

The Album - Peregrine Caged



A collection of 'snapshots', short stories that represent Moments in the lives of various ponies

  • ...
10
 1,089
 4,628

PreviousChapters Next
Aloe -- Aloe Gets Her Own Bed

Written by: Not Worthy
Rated Everyone It had been a particularly busy day: Lotus and Aloe had a large amount of ponies amble into their spa for a relaxing evening after a hard day’s work making Ponyville accident-proof (and after running away from that giant three-headed dog!). Their hooves ached from all the massaging and running around, but they still managed to keep a smile on their faces as the last weary customer left satisfied. Now with the moonlight casting a glow on the pile of bits the sisters had collected from their work, they were ready to turn in.

Aloe silently hung the last soaking towel on the line and carried the empty basket inside. She lay the basket next to all the others in the supply closet and, taking a quick glance to see if anything was out of place, shut the door.

Just then, she felt a body flop down on her rump. She looked back and stifled a giggle as her blue-coated sister groaned playfully.

“This has been a most tiring day, sister,” Lotus moaned, rubbing her sister’s side. Aloe offered a smile in reply; she was a mare of very few words, as her sister had always been the better talker. “Are you tired?”

Aloe blew a few stray strands of mane from her face and nodded. “Then shall we head off to bed then?” Aloe nodded again. “Great! I have a surprise upstairs, and I know you’ll love it!”

Aloe raised an eyebrow as Lotus got off. Surprise? Still tired from the day’s work, she followed her oddly energetic sister upstairs to their room. Aloe wasn’t thinking at that moment and didn’t notice Lotus had stopped. She bumped into her, earning a grunt from Lotus.

“Your surprise is not in our--I mean my room,” Lotus said with a smirk. Aloe tilted her head. “It’s in here.”

Aloe looked to where Lotus was pointing, to what used to be their private meditation room. She opened the door and peered inside.

“Do you like it?”

Aloe just stared at the newly-arranged room. Where their shelf of aromatherapy supplies had once been, now was a bookshelf with Aloe’s book collection on it. Where the meditation mats once were, now was a basic mattress adorned with a cerise blanket and a pillow. She also found Sir Star Surfer, her doll, tucked into the middle of the bed.

Aloe looked back at her sister as she asked again, “Do you like it?”

It took a few seconds for Aloe to slowly nod her head, a smile creeping on her face.

“I knew it!” Lotus clapped her hooves together. “I set it up while you and the others were working today! And now we won’t have to sleep together anymore!”

Hearing this, Aloe’s head lowered and her ears flattened against her head. Lotus noticed this and placed a hoof on her sister’s shoulder.

“What’s wrong, Aloe?” Aloe looked at her and furrowed her brow. “Dear . . . you haven’t done anything wrong. I just thought that, since we’re now fully-grown mares, we should try and sleep in separate beds, y’know?” She stroked Aloe’s mane. “It’s not like we’ll be apart forever, right? It’ll just be for the night.”

Aloe lifted her head up and gave a little smile to her sister.

“Good,” Lotus said. “Now, I don’t know about you, but I could use a good bath. You?” Aloe nodded excitedly. “I’ll go and prepare it, then.”

Aloe followed her sister into the bathroom with a pit beginning to form in her stomach. Lotus and she had always done things together--eating, bathing, schooling, and sleeping--since they were foals in their homeland. And while Aloe still got to bathe with her sister in their large bathtub, she was feeling nervous about sleeping by herself. As her legs became like jelly in the warm waters of the bathtub and her neck and muzzle were massaged by the small ripples she and her sister made getting in, almost immediately her muscles loosened and her worries began to wade away.

A half-hour later, with their muscles and hooves relaxed, they left the tub and dried off. Then Aloe followed her sister to their room, but Lotus stopped her before she could enter.

“Aloe,” Lotus began a bit sternly. “Did you already forget about your new room?”

Aloe’s eyes widened, and she looked back to the door that would lead to her room. Aloe looked back and saw Lotus smiling.

“Don’t worry, sister,” Lotus said. “You’ll be fine without me, and I’ll be just a few steps away if you need anything.” After a few moments of silence, the sisters hugged each other, and then Aloe watched her sister walk to what was now her room.

“Good night, Aloe,” Lotus called to her sister as she closed the door. Aloe, with the pit of her stomach returning, slowly walked to her new room. Staring at the door for a moment, she took a deep breath and opened it.

There it was... in the dark room, waiting for her to crawl in without her sister and sleep. Sure, Sir Star Surfer was there (and he would surely protect her), but it just wouldn’t feel the same without Lotus. But things have to change, right? Aloe reassured herself and she stepped towards the bed.

Lotus had set a candle on the nightstand next to the bed; Aloe lit it immediately. Once she had done so, she cautiously crawled into bed and gripped the blanket with her hooves. She brought it over her muzzle and used her left hoof to grip Star Surfer.

With a few deep breaths, she lowered the blanket and let it rest on her belly. Throwing herself over, she took a quick look under the bed; satisfied (and a little spooked) that there were only the meditation pillows under there, she brought herself back up and hugged Star Surfer closer to her. And then she blew out the candle.

Darkness. Aloe felt it creeping over her as a small stream of smoke rose from the extinguished wick. She hugged Star Surfer closer and snuggled deeper into her blanket. She quieted her breathing and relaxed. As tired as she was from the day’s work, she felt her eyelids shut. Her breathing was steady, her eyes contently shut, her Sir Star Surfer safe within her hooves, and the silence comforting.

A few moments passed. And then she heard something.

Aloe’s eyes shot open and she looked around. She saw nothing out of place. She lowered her head again and prepared to sleep.

The noise came again. It was a buzzing. She immediately threw the covers over her head, guarding Star Surfer as well.

The buzzing came again, looming over her. She was frozen in terror as the buzzing grew louder and louder until... it stopped. She heard something very small land on her cover.

What the? She slowly peeked over her blanket and looked for the source of the noise. Suddenly, the buzzing started up again, right in front of her face. She threw her forelegs around violently, trying to ward away the attacker. The buzzing didn’t stop.

And then she froze. Whatever it was had landed on her snout. Blood cold, she focused her eyes at the end of her nose and saw the culprit.

And with her blood boiling, she brushed the fly away.

What the hay, Aloe? She lowered the covers and retrieved her knight. It’s only a fly. Stop being a scaredy-pony! With a deep breath and a sigh, she lay her head back down onto the covers. Now get some sleep. She closed her eyes and ignored the buzzing around her head. How’d a fly get in here anyway?

The buzzing went right past her ear and Aloe opened her eyes and swung the fly away. She watched with annoyance as it buzzed around for a second before heading to the window.

It flew in front of a dark, partially-open armoire.

Aloe’s eyes slowly widened and her heartbeat quickened. The armoire was opened just enough for something to watch her in the darkness and she couldn’t see anything in there. Her breathing quickened.

She stared at it for a good ten minutes. And then she got out of bed, legs trembling, chest heaving. With each shaking step she inched her way closer to the imposing furniture, trying to see what may’ve been stalking her from the little crack. The fly buzzed around her back; she shushed it and it landed on her back, no longer buzzing. Breathing heavily, she extended a trembling hoof to the crack. Taking a deep breath and steeling her nerves, she opened the door.

She was soon bombarded and her vision went black.

Aloe panicked; she thrashed about on the floor trying to get the assailant off of her. It was pressing against her and she almost felt it tangling her up. Soon she couldn’t move; whatever it was had her legs pinned down to where they couldn’t move; it loomed over her, pressing itself against her body. Unable to move, she began to cry.

“Aloe!”

Aloe continued to cry as she heard hoofsteps approaching her. Soon the attacker was off of her, and Aloe looked to her sister staring down at her, something in her mouth. Aloe looked at the monster and traced its form down to the ground . . . still covering her lower half.

“Awooe,” Lotus said with her teeth still over the thing. She spit it out. “Aloe, I . . . I kinda rolled up the rug and put it in here. It, um, made moving stuff easier. Heehee!” Lotus grinned sheepishly as Aloe looked at the thing and then the rugless floor. Then she looked again at her sister, tears still in her eyes.

“It must’ve fallen out and scared you very badly,” Lotus whispered, wiping tears from Aloe’s face. “I’m sorry. I just threw it in there; I should’ve made sure it was in there good. Are you okay?”

Stifling another tear, Aloe nodded.

“Good.” Lotus hugged her sister. “Come on, dear. Let’s get you back into bed.” With that, Aloe walked over to the bed and crawled in. She looked over at her sister and was about to lift up the covers before Lotus pulled them over her body. “Remember, I’ll be in my room if you need me.”

Aloe froze for a moment before gulping and nodding.

“Alright then.” Lotus walked over to the door. “Good night, sister.” She shut it.

Aloe took a deep breath and looked over to Sir Star Surfer. She gave him a disapproving glare; he fell over to his side and Aloe immediately felt guilty. She picked him up and squeezed him in her forelegs before giving him a kiss and lying down. They closed their eyes and Aloe’s breathing slowed down.

CREAK!

Aloe’s eyes shot wide open.

CREAK!

Aloe’s body shot straight up.

CREAK!

What is that? Aloe looked around to see the source of the noise.

CREEEEAK!

She tried to calm her breathing. Okay, okay, just calm down. You overreacted with the fly and the rug, now just don’t--

WHOOSH!

Gah! What was that? This noise didn’t go away. Okay okay, just calm down! No need to panic. It’s probably just--

TAP TAP TAP!

Aloe couldn’t take any more. She threw the covers off, grabbed Star Surfer and raced out the room. She hardly had time to stop as she threw her sister’s door open and jumped into the bed with her.

“Gwah!” Lotus yelled. “Aloe? What are you doing?”

Her whole body was trembling and clinging to Lotus.

“Ugh . . .” Lotus kicked the covers off and got out of bed. Aloe hid behind her sister the entire time as they walked to the other room. The whooshing noise still didn’t go away, and the tapping and creaking were more prevalent. Aloe cringed behind her sister.

“Aloe!” Lotus barked. “Stop being such a scaredypony!” Lotus walked over to the window and pulled back the curtain. There, Aloe saw her window open and a tree branch knocking against it. “See? It’s only the wind! Now grow up!”

At this sudden outburst, Aloe shrunk back and pouted. Her ears drooped and her head dropped. She heard her sister sigh.

“Aloe,” Lotus said in a much calmer voice. “I know this is a new thing, and you’re probably scared, but this had to happen one day, right?” She waited for Aloe to nod. “Please sister, try and get some sleep. You’ll be fine. Please.”

Aloe stared at her sister; Lotus had always been the more mature one. Aloe took a deep breath, letting her head drop on her story. They embraced in a hug for a moment, then Aloe climbed into bed. Lotus pulled the covers over her and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

“Oh!” Lotus walked out. “Let me get Sir Star Surfer for you.” Aloe sighed and closed her eyes. I’m glad I have Lotus as a sister. She’s always been there for me. And she’s right: we can’t be sleeping in the same bed forever now, can we? Now that would be silly.

And then she heard a scream.

Aloe didn’t hesitate to jump out of bed and rush to her sister’s room. Without any fear, she bucked the door open.

What she saw was Lotus on the floor, cowering. Aloe rushed to her side. When Lotus saw her, she clamped her hooves around her.

“Oh, Aloe, it was horrible!” Lotus cried. “It was humongous and it tried to eat me! Kill it kill it!”

Aloe looked around while her sister hid behind her. She perked her ears up to catch any sign of the monster. And almost immediately, she sighed.

There was a buzzing sound.

“Kill it KILL IT!”

Aloe placed a hoof in her sister’s mouth. After Lotus was done whimpering, Aloe grabbed one of their books on special spices for aromatherapy and listened for the noise. It’s over the bed somewhere. She traced the sound until...

Wham!

Lotus screamed as Aloe brought the book down. The buzzing had stopped. The fly was dead. Aloe nodded and turned around and stared at Sir Star Surfer, who was still propped on the bed.

“Aloe?”

Aloe crossed her hooves, continuing to stare at the doll. Well? Did you at least try and protect my sister? Isn’t that your job? He remained silent. Answer me!

He didn’t answer; instead, Aloe found her sister pouncing on her.

“Oh Aloe, I didn’t know it would be this scary to sleep alone! I thought it was going to eat me!” Aloe held her sister close. “I don’t wanna sleep alone! Can I sleep with you, pleeeeeeeeeease?”

Aloe sighed and walked out, ignoring her sister’s cries. Waiting for a few moments, she dived upon Lotus. The blue mare giggled as she threw the covers over both of them.

“Good night, Aloe, dear sister of mine.” Aloe cuddled up against her sister as Lotus blew the candle out. Then they both shut their eyes.

And there was no buzzing to be heard.

PreviousChapters Next