• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 4,626 Views, 1,089 Comments

The Album - Peregrine Caged



A collection of 'snapshots', short stories that represent Moments in the lives of various ponies

  • ...
10
 1,089
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
Diamond Tiara -- Diamond's Dismal Day

Written by: AdobE
Rated Everyone



It was not a good day for Diamond Tiara. First of all, she had a cold. Now, one would expect that having a cold isn’t that bad. Well, it’s not. But that particular day, the Weather Team had a rather large thunderstorm scheduled. So everything was soaking wet, including Diamond Tiara. Come to think of it, it was probably this storm that gave her the cold, because the aforementioned storm also knocked out power to most of Ponyville. Due to the power outages ravaging Ponyville, and the ridiculous storm, the fillies and colts of Ponyville Schoolhouse were sent home, and thus everypony was soaking wet. And to top it all off, it was a Monday.

As Diamond Tiara lay in bed, she glanced outside. Man, this was one huge rainstorm. She couldn’t believe how much it was raining. Although, the incomprehensibly immense amount of rain would make sense simply because of the amount of rain, or lack thereof, that Ponyville had been experiencing for the past couple of weeks.

Despite being sick, it being Monday, and having no power, Diamond Tiara was content (well, as content as “content” can get in this situation). In fact, when you got around the three downsides to this day, it was calming to see the rain. Diamond Tiara had always been a fan of the rain. Something about it was...peaceful.

Just as she was starting to relax, she felt a slow drip start on her face. What the...? Why was the ceiling dripping? Diamond opened her eyes and looked up, only for a drop of water to land dead smack in the middle of her right eye, causing her to wince. She closed her eyes again and waited to be hit with another drop before sneaking a peek. As soon as she felt the droplet hit her head, she glanced up, only to see a dark spot forming on the ceiling. She groaned. A leaky roof? That couldn’t possibly be good. What’s worse is that it was right over her bed and over her face at that.

This day was turning out to be quite dismal. But what Tiara didn’t know was that things were about to get worse. You see, with enough rain comes flooding. When your house sits at the bottom of a hill, the chances of a flood are greatly increased. Unfortunately for Diamond Tiara, her house does indeed rest at the bottom of a hill. This could be potentially disastrous.


The rush of water could hardly be heard over the sound of the rain pummeling the house with the force of 1000 hammers. Ok, so maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but that doesn’t change the facts. Diamond Tiara was so focused on feeling like crap and having an annoying wet spot on her blanket from where the water was still dripping from the ceiling that the idea of flooding hadn’t even entered her mind.

Being situated on the fourth floor of her mansion had its ups and downs. The main issue was that three flights of stairs was a long way to walk to get to the kitchen. When Diamond was halfway down the last flight of stairs, she realized that she had servants who would do her bidding. Why hadn’t she thought of this before? Oh well, it was a bit too late for that now. Due to the fact she was lost in her thoughts, Diamond had failed to notice the fact that she was trotting to the kitchen, albeit slowly, in about a quarter inch of water.

When she found her way out of her mind, she was mostly to the kitchen, but something seemed off. And it wasn’t the lights. Then it hit her. She had left her bedroom door open! Wait, that wasn’t it. She thought about it more and then had a sudden realization that she was standing in what was now about a half an inch of water. Well, she thought to herself, This isn’t good at all...maybe I should tell somepony?

You’re probably thinking “How could this day get any more dismal?” Well, it’s about to get even worse. Normally at this point in time, Diamond Tiara would be shouting her head off at her servants about her troubles, or complaining to her father. Unfortunately, her father was out on business, and her servants had the day off. So to recap, she’s home alone, standing in about a half inch of water, has a leaky ceiling, is sick, tired, and without power AND it’s a Monday. Things are definitely not looking good.

After standing in the same spot for a few moments contemplating what could be done about this dire situation, Diamond realized that she was actually quite hungry. She made her way over to the kitchen and looked in the cabinet for some food. Being a filly, her parents had said she wasn’t allowed to cook. Well that was about to change.

She climbed up the step ladder to the high cabinet, where the matches were stored. She had seen her servants cook and knew how (to a small extent) to light the stove. All she wanted was some canned vegetable soup. After assembling the necessary parts, she turned the gas on and looked at the matches. She realized she’d seen only unicorn servants light matches. But how hard could it be?


Well the house hadn’t burned down. In fact, the only thing that burned was the soup. Diamond Tiara didn’t really understand how it was possible to burn soup. Oh well, it’s best not to dwell on it. Anyway with her soup ready, she decided she wanted some bread. But fate would have none of it. All of her bread was soggy and in fact could barely be called bread. The loaves of bread were all soggy, mushy lumps, much akin to mud. Well, soup would have to suffice. It looked like things were finally looking up. Or were they...

PreviousChapters Next