• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 4,626 Views, 1,089 Comments

The Album - Peregrine Caged



A collection of 'snapshots', short stories that represent Moments in the lives of various ponies

  • ...
10
 1,089
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
Vinyl "DJ Pon-3" Scratch -- Like a Bass Drops

Written by: Sorrow872
Rated Everyone



Vinyl opened the door to her home. The key scratched over the door knob as the sleepy mare tried to insert it into the lock. The light clicking that the lock made as it snapped open was like music to Vinyl’s ears. The only problem was that she’d already heard too much music today. Slowly the DJ walked inside of her home and slumped down on the couch, staring at the same wall, the same wall as every day.

“The same thing as always,” Vinyl mumbled to herself, still staring at the wall. But she didn’t see the wall. She saw her memories, the things that happened in her life. After a while the white mare slowly stood up and walked into the kitchen.

“The same food as always,” the unicorn muttered and grabbed a plate. She levitated a slice of bread over to her. Slowly she walked into her bedroom. Sheets of paper, empty bottles, and cans were piling on the ground of the small room and the air was thick and warm.

“The same room as always,” Vinyl Scratch said and slumped down on her bed, placing the plate with the bread next to her. She took a bite and looked around, almost longing for a change. Any change. But everything was like she had left it, the colors looking cold and grey. The shadows in the corner of her room seemed to watch her movements, crawling forwards to her like snakes.

Vinyl lit her horn up, drowning the room in a gloomy blue and laying a spooky sparkle over everything in the room. She levitated a half filled can over to herself and took a sip of the warm liquid. Slowly she lowered it and placed it on the wooden floor. This wasn’t her home; this was a prison.

“The same energy drink.... the same thing, over and over again.” Angrily, she looked around, again longing for a change, something new in her dull life. After a while she laid back and stared at the ceiling. She tried to recall the club she played in, but all she could remember were flashy lights and crowds of sweaty ponies.

“Not that the clubs would look any different from each other,” Vinyl said and took another bite of her bread, slowly shaking her head. “This is ridiculous. I could have a nice life...” she said and closed her eyes. Immediately, bright flashes and loud music shot into her head. The plate fell to the ground. As it connected with the floor, a loud clatter was heard. “Damn...”

A few minutes later Vinyl was throwing the sharp white shards into the trash can. She asked herself why she was doing this. It was a change, although a little one. It was something to break out of her prison. It was something that reminded her that everything still could be changed. But she ignored it. Vinyl sighed and looked out of the window.

“The same view. Like everyday,” the unicorn said and went back to the couch. But as she laid down on it she didn’t see the same wall. She saw bright flashes, again, bright flashes, sweaty ponies without faces, only bodies moving to the beat.

She hardly recognized herself, standing in the middle of the crowd with speakers around her and a wide grin on her face. Her eyes were blocked out by big purple shades, but she knew how they looked. Dull and hopeless, always looking at the spinning records, not into the ever same crowd. The blurry flashes were giving her headaches, the air was thicker than in her room and she had a sore throat that got worse with every single beat. One of the only things she wished for was a drink.

She immediately opened her eyes, looking out of the window. The moon stood high in the night sky and threw a slightly blue blanket of light over the rooftops of the buildings. Rain was lightly hitting against the window, making a quiet beating noise. Sleepy she sat up, groaned, and held her head in her hooves. There was the creeping darkness in the corners of the room again, just that the room was bigger this time, and so was the shadow.

Again Vinyl lit up her horn, but this time the shadows wouldn’t go away. They continued to move closer to Vinyl slowly, slowly but steadily. They creeped up to her till they blocked out the whole room and Vinyl just sat in a pitch-black room. Carefully she stood up. A strong ache shot through her head.

Vinyl sat up, heavily breathing and sweating; she could feel the single drops running down her face. After a little while, she calmed down and looked around. She was laying in her bed, the plate with the half eaten bread next to her, the can with the warm liquid still on the ground, still in her room with the thick and warm air.

“The same dream.... always...” she said and stood up, carefully aware not to throw the plate onto the floor. She sighed in relief as she saw that the shadows in the corners of her room weren't moving towards her. Vinyl walked towards the window. Slowly but steadily the clopping of her hooves on the wood was heard as she inched closer to the glass panel. She opened it and looked out into the town, onto the streets below her and into the sky which was raining down upon her. The single drops of water soaked her mane and fur. Soon they were joined by single tears that dripped down Vinyl’s face.

A few minutes later Vinyl’s face was completely wet. The white unicorn leaned out of the window and screamed out into the night, a mixture of anger and depression. She only stood there and yelled for a few minutes. After a while she calmed down and stared at the streets below her.

A few tears hit the small stones on the road, making the same sound that the rain made. But Vinyl heard something else, loud beats, every time one of her tears hit the ground.

“It’s just like a bass drop....” she said and closed the window, allowing the rain to knock on it again. “Just like my life repeats.... the same thing... over and over again...” Vinyl mumbled to herself, walking down the stairwell again, into the kitchen.

“No. I won’t give up.”, the white unicorn said, grabbing some flowers and apples and started to wash them in her sink. “It’s time to do something else.”, she said, taking a bowl and placing it on the desk. A knife levitated over to her and started to cut the apples, everything surrounded by a blue glow. A slight smile rushed over the DJ’s face as she threw the flowers into the bowl and levitated some of the apple pieces into it.

A small amount of time later Vinyl sat on her table, the bowl and a plate in front of her. Some of her self-made salad was laying on the plate and here and there a flower or a piece of apple flew up to Vinyl’s mouth. “I broke out....” she said, grinning.

“I made it.”

The next evening her eyes shot open. She grinned as she saw her tidy room and the wall with fresh blue color splattered all over it. She stood up and walked downstairs. The plate and the bowl with the remaining bits of salad were still standing on the table, but she was only interested in a little piece of paper that was lying on the chair, an address quickly scribbled onto it. She grabbed it in her mouth and turned towards the door, levitating the key to her home right next to her. As she stepped out of the room into the rest of the sun’s light she smiled brightly and closed the door behind her.

“I really want to work today....” the white unicorn said and started to walk into town, heading towards the address that was written on the piece of paper.

PreviousChapters Next