• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 4,626 Views, 1,089 Comments

The Album - Peregrine Caged



A collection of 'snapshots', short stories that represent Moments in the lives of various ponies

  • ...
10
 1,089
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
Lotus Blossom -- On Stormy Seas

Written by: Nadake
Rated Everyone



There is something about the sound of the surf breaking on the white sand which enchants the soul of the listener. Dragon, gryphon, and pony alike, the sea was a source of magic, majesty, and immense power. That few members of any species knew how to swim only added to the nearly divine mystique of the crashing waves and relentless tide.

In the height of summer, Seahorse Beach thronged with ponies of every walk of life. They came to play in the surf and on the sand, to breathe the fresh salt in the air, and to listen to the soothing melody of the water. It was bracing for the frail, fun for the young, and calm for the aged.

However, in the darkness and chill of winter, the beach on the northern border of Equestria was deserted save for the few fisherponies who called the area home. Of those ponies, there was never plenty. Even in the season, when ponies from across the country visited, it was not the locals who received their business, unless an intrepid tourist wished to brave the waves themselves.

No, the precious golden bits went to the nobles who opened residences and villas for rent, or to the merchants who fell upon the area like a swarm of ravening locusts. No, tourist bits were not what supported that small town. Love, friendship, and the never ending bounty of the deep blue sea were all that kept the town afloat in the hard winter months.

This town gave rise to ponies with such bland names as Seaweed, Riptide, and Tidepool, who spent their lives knowing nothing more than the sea, the shore, and the occasional visitor. Even a Cutie Mark was beyond them, for there was simply no time to find their ‘special talent’. Some in the village didn’t even believe that such marks were real, merely an explanation given by those with the bright tattoos to justify the mutilations.

It was from this small, poor, depressing village that two of Equestria’s best spa ponies hailed. Aloe and Lotus called the small village home, though only one of the pair would ever admit to such humble beginnings.

Aloe thought that to admit that they were the daughters of a poor fisherpony would discredit them, something her twin had never agreed with. Did their origins matter when held to the accomplishments of the two?

Regardless, it had been years since the pink mare had stepped hoof in the village.

For Lotus Blossom though, her home was a haven. It was where she wasn’t badgered and constantly solicited. To the inhabitants of Seahorse Beach, she was simply their little Lotus Blossom. She was the young mare who would leave for a while, but then return, smiling and laughing. She would bring life back to the droll existence of the inhabitants.

But even if she loved those ponies dearly, sometimes Lotus simply needed time to be alone. To enjoy the pounding waves. And unlike even the ponies she grew up with, Lotus could swim.

Far from the white cliffs which sheltered the hamlet, pink hair burst through the rough water. The rest of the blue body soon followed, as Lotus hauled herself onto the rock far from the shore. The villagers knew the small outcrop of stone as Blindmare’s Bluff, named after a long ago pony who set sail from the shores of Seahorse Bluff, never to return. It was a popular local legend that on a cold stormy nights, you could still hear the haunting song which pulled her boat awry and sent it plunging into the depths of the sea.

Nopony would come near the rock now, afraid of the ghost of that doomed ship. Which meant that it was the only place where a mare could find peace and solitude amongst the roaring surf.

Lotus had stumbled upon the rock long ago, when she and Aloe were only fillies. They had been swimming off the shore, within easy sight of the sand when a storm had rolled in. It fell upon the village without warning, stooping like a hawk over its kill, and swept the fillies out to sea.

They had both been washed aground on the rock, slamming into it with the anger of the sea driving what little air was in their lungs out again.

The thought of that storm still made Lotus shiver. She had been sure that they would die there, huddled together on that rock. But by morning, the wind’s fury had finally calmed, and the clouds had parted on a truly beautiful sunrise. Their tears had cleared quickly, replaced by joy at the sight of the many rafts and coracles of the fisherponies setting out, looking for the morning catch and two young mares.

Lotus reclined on the smooth stone, content to rest as the ocean spray fell in a fine mist over her body. It was nice to simply lie here, alone in the wind and water.

When her eyes opened, Lotus could see stars overhead. Countless specks of light shone through the darkness, reflecting tenfold on the roiling water. Far away, she could see the faint light of the village shining through the cold and the dark.

Sighing, the mare picked herself up. Her fur was matted, encrusted with the salt of the sea, and she groaned. It would take forever to groom herself clean and still longer before the lingering scent of seawater and dead fish left her.

Looking around, she sighed again. It was a pity she had to leave. There was a certain allure to the sea at night, she had to admit. She could almost hear an echoing voice calling to her in the roar of the waves. But that was nonsense.

Taking a long, deep breath, she prepared herself. It was a long swim from Blindmare’s Bluff to the shore, and a difficult one even in the bright light of day. At night, with the seas roughened by the large moon hanging overhead, it would be dangerous.

Lotus steeled herself,and leapt from her smooth perch. In the thirty feet to the surface of the water, Lotus sped through the air. This must be how a pegasus felt, the wind whipping past you, mussing your mane. She smiled and brought her front hooves forward. Closing her eyes, she dove into the water, convulsing at the sudden, biting cold.

This was not the sea that showponies and nobles came to see in the summer. This was the sea of early autumn, and, while comfortable enough during the day, at night the temperature plummeted. It felt as though shards of ice were being driven into her flesh as she cut through the water.

Ignoring the stinging pain, Lotus opened her eyes, looking up at the surface only a few feet away. From here, the stars took on a new face. No longer were they the cold lights that watched uncaring from the heavens, nor were they the twinkle in the eye of a joyous mare. These stars were wholly new to the spa pony, and for a moment she floated transfixed. The way the stars shimmered and moved, almost uncaring, not quite happy, as though they were within her grasp. They seemed so close in fact, that she stretched out a hoof towards the lights.

Then the rolling water caught her, carrying her away in the tide. The illusion was shattered, and Lotus blinked. The pain redoubled, and the chill set in once more. Nothing daunted though, she set off towards home.

Through the wavy light in the water, she oriented herself, heading for the red glow of fire. That way lay home, and warmth, and shelter, and food. Her hooves cut through the water in smooth, strong strokes as she knifed her way closer and closer to the red gleam. No matter how fast she moved though, the light moved with her, pulling farther and farther back. Soon, her lungs would give out, and she would need to surface, need to breathe. But not yet.

Suddenly, her hoof struck the sandy bottom, and she pushed upwards. Her head burst once more through the waves, and she gasped. A great lungful of air entered her lungs, wonderful, magical, life-giving air.

She coughed up the stale contents of her lungs, taking another deep breath. As she did though, a wave crashed over her. It hammered down, driving her face into the sand and crushed the air from her lungs. Water filled her mouth, and Lotus struggled not to inhale the salty concoction. One did not grow up on the shore without seeing the horrible, seemingly peaceful death by drowning.

She would not let that happen to her. She would not simply disappear, leaving only a pale corpse to wash ashore months after her death. Her Momma needed her and Aloe to support her in her age, and Papa couldn’t fish forever. Aloe would be lost without her.

So no stupid wave, no smelly ocean would best her. She was born in this village. But damned if she would die here.

She wrenched her body about, tearing her head from the sand. Once more, she pushed off of the bottom. Now though, she kept pushing, until she lay on the beach itself. Retching and hacking, she took another gulp of air. This time, there was no wave to take her breath away, only the crisp, salty air of the coast.

Lotus smiled. No matter how often she came here, no matter how many vacations she took, this village never ceased to surprise her. Maybe next time she would just go to Canterlot instead though. Maybe.

PreviousChapters Next