• Published 1st Oct 2020
  • 2,033 Views, 14 Comments

Warrior in White - Marina Stars



Its Rainbow Dash's wedding day to Soarin. The ponies she cares most about have a lot of good to share before the ceremony.

  • ...
1
 14
 2,033

Words from a Brother

Moments later there was a gentle rapping at the door.

“Do you think that means it’s time to start,” Rainbow chuckled releasing her hold on Fluttershy and wiping away a few stray tears of joy.

“I’ll go check,”

Fluttershy stood smoothing her soft chiton dress before offering a hoof to help Rainbow Dash up, which she accepted. The mare stood, smoothing her own gown and turning to check her reflection one last time as the yellow pegasus opened the door.

“Is it time already,”

It was just whispers through the crack of the door to a pony she couldn’t see from where she stood.

“Ok… Are you sure?” More whispers, “I… I don't know…”

Fluttershy sighed “That should be fine… just, be quick, I doubt we have much time,”

Rainbows ears perked as she strained to hear the other voice, “What is it, ‘shy,”

The other mare turned her head to speak to her, “You have a visitor, if that’s alright with you, some last minute words before it’s time for the ceremony to start.”

“Sure,” Somepony had taken time to come see her, someone outside her immediate circle of friends. If it was worth their time to do so it was worth her time to see them. She didn't mind more uplifting words anyways.

“Alright, I’ll be back when it’s time for everything to start, it shouldn’t be more than five minutes,”

“Thanks ‘shy,”

Fluttershy smiled and stepped out of the room allowing the unseen visitor to step in just as Dash turned to meet them face to face. She couldn’t help but smile at what, on a normal day, would have been an unwanted visitor and a nuisance of a conversation. Today was different, she could tell by his eyes.

“Hey Zeph,”

Fluttershy’s little brother smiled sheepishly, lilac eyes sparkling in the light. Dash had to admit, he looked nice with his hair combed back neatly, a perfectly tailored suit worn for the occasion.

“Hey Dash,” He spoke, clearly a bit dazed by her appearance, that was at least normal, “you look... amazing,”

“Thanks... you don't look so bad yourself,” She replied playfully nudging him in the shoulder, “Did you get all dressed up for me?”

“Heh, yah, I guess so,” The seafoam pegasus shrugged awkwardly. He wasn't nearly as suave as he usually was around her, she had been long accustomed to a flirtatious and proud Zephyr Breeze, one that almost preened like a peacock showing off his feathers. The odd one out in his own family. This sheepish Zephyr was so different but felt more familiar to her than he had been, and she liked it.

“Dash, I just had to say,” He paused meeting her eyes, and then quickly averted his gaze pushing out a quick ‘Good luck’

Rainbow Dash blinked.

“Thanks… I guess,” She was a bit confused, there was something more he wanted to say, she could tell. She knew him well enough, “Zeph, did you really come just to say good luck,”

“Yes and no… I just…” He paused. After a deep breath he lifted his gaze once more to meet hers and held it this time, “Dash,” He started hesitantly, but continued on anyways, “you are absolutely amazing. I know, I know-I’ve told you that a hundred times over, but I have meant it every time and I mean it now. You are amazing and I know you deserve the absolute best. That Soarin guy in there, he is the absolute best. The best for a pony like you and I’m certain of that."

Rainbow chuckled lightly, “You got that right. So I take it there are no pleas for me to reconsider then?”

Zephyr Breeze also grinned, “Ha, nope, wouldn’t dream of it. Because I know you’d be happier with him than you’d ever be with me. It doesn't take a genius to see that.”

Rainbow Dash smiled as they comfortably stood face to face. She wished she had seen more of this Zephyr in recent years as opposed to the Zephyr he had been for the longest time. It seemed he had really grown up since their last interaction. But, seeing as he was willing to let her go, she did have one question nagging at her. One she just had to know the awnser to.

“Hey Zeph, if you don't mind me asking...”

“N-no, go ahead, ask away,”

“Why did you always have such a huge crush on me anyways,” she asked, not unkindly, she felt it was more of a gentle demand to know.

“Oh,” his ears flopped just the slightest but he kept his smile up, “you didn't know… I thought it was obvious,”

“Your crush was obvious,” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes as she spoke, “Not the reasoning,”

“Fair enough,” He chuckled, head shaking, “Growing up you were always so awesome and brave and bold and confident. Every pony saw that. Because of that, you always stood out. But,”

“But?” She quirked a brow.

“Buuut,” He rolled his eyes as he collected his next thought, which he bluntly admitted, “That wasn't really it for me… It was how you always looked after my Flutterbuddy. You were a hero to her. I remember every day after school when she’d come home and talk and talk and talk about how amazing you were, what a good friend you were, how much you helped her that day. You became a hero to her and a hero to me too. You always looked out for her. The two of us saw a level of awesomeness in you that most ponies didn't get to see. The more close you two became, the more I wanted to be a part of it, your friendship, your adventures. I adored you because you always stood by Fluttershy’s side,

"I love Fluttershy, It’s impossible not to, and you always made her happy. Any pony-or creature- who makes her happy is worth keeping around,

“And, I don't know, maybe it was her gushing about you, or saying how much you were like a sister to her, but I grew to like you, a lot. Yes, it was a cliche little school ponycrushh. But, part of me wanted you and Fluttershy to truly be sisters, the other part simply adored your loyalty to her,”

“Wow…” For once Rainbow Dash was at a loss for words when it came to Zephyr “I never even thought about it like that…”

“Yah, I guess I was just the annoying little brother all those years,”

“A little bit,” She admitted, that was exactly how she’d thought of him for the longest time, while he had been close when the three were much younger, she had found him a nuisance as they grew older, but, deep down they secretly liked how enthusiastic he was to hang out with them. He was undeniably their brother, and perhaps that was why she’d always resisted his affectionate words... “but your right, you were our little brother, and we wouldn’t have it any other way,”

His eyes lit up like a foal’s on Hearthswarming morning, “You mean it?”

“Yep, now come here you,” She grinned pulling him into a hug “You and Fluttershy are the best of the best, thank you for being like family,”

“No,” He interjected returning her hug “thank you for always looking out for us,”

Another comfortable silence settled on them a warm familial love could be felt, clear as the sky. Today was full of that wasn't it? Family. Two families uniting together. Families supporting each other. Families loving one another. It would be the start of her own family, a personal team built to help each other succeed. That's how family had always been for her, and she knew that's what it would be from here on out, a team.

At length, Rainbow Dash released her hold, moving her hooves to rest on the other pegasus’ shoulders, “Zeph, I may be taken, and that’s not changing, but one day you will find a mare who will make you happier than I ever could,”

She gave him a wink and he chuckled realizing she’d borrowed his own line

“Sure, but no mare could ever match your loyalty or protectiveness,”

“You don't need my protection anymore,” She said looking him dead in the eyes with all the love and seriousness she had to offer. It wasn't like she’d never be around anyways, she’d be there. She could never leave behind family like that. Even if they led elaborate lives of their own that they’d be dedicated to, they would find ways to connect, to allow their lives to intertwine.

“I know,” He admitted while musing wistfully, “but it was nice knowing you always had our backs,”

“I always will,” She promised “You need anything, you ask, I’ll be there, just like I know you two will be there for me, we're practically family, and family stays together,”

He nodded this time he was the one to pull her in for a hug. Man, what he wouldn’t have given for this years ago. Now, it was still an amazing feeling, but, it was more like hugging his sister than a lifelong crush. She was right, they were family. That would never change.

“I wish you the best Dash,” He whispered holding in tears and hoping she couldn’t hear the promise of them, “you’re the best sister ever- next to Fluttershy of course,”

“Of course,”

A gentle knock on the door prompted them to release their hug and prepare for the upcoming moments. Fluttershy’s head poked into the room before the rest of her followed, her gentle smile once again adding more light and warmth to the room. Any warmer and Dash would have died from all the love she was receiving from her honorary siblings.

“Rainbow Dash, it’s time,”

The bride nodded stepping towards the door, Zephyr Breeze right behind her. But, before either of them could leave, Dash surprised both pegasi by dragging them into one final hug.

“I love you guys,”

That was all that was needed to be said. They were left clinging to each other, joy-filled smiles stretching from ear to ear. This was indeed a happy, loving day. And as anti-mush as the bride herself was, she wouldn’t have it any other way.

When they did let go it was another moment before they made their exit led out by Fluttershy. Zeph playfully offered a hoof to the mare and led her out of the room where the lovely Matron of Honor and the Bridesmaids stood beaming at the gorgeous bride.

Zeph handed her off to the mares, but not before one last hug, a whisper of ‘Knock ‘em dead,’ and a gentle kiss on the forehead for good luck, just like any brother would do.

Then he left in order to slip into the chapel from a side door and take his seat before the ceremony could begin.

Each mare gave their final wishes of good luck as Rarity tucked a flowing white veil into the bride's mane. They walked to the grand doors that would lead to a room of more ponies ready to love and support the happy couple.

That’s where her father stood waiting with his signature proud of you smile and a hoof ready to take hers. This was the moment he would walk her down the aisle, and give her away, from one loving family to the next, a gesture of a new life.

A new beginning.

And boy, was she ready for it.

The doors opened and her bridesmaids entered the grand room, led by sweet Fluttershy, a goddess leading and guiding her champion warrior to greater things. And Dash, that very warrior, brave and ready to face anything.

~END~

Author's Note:

So... this story was just a cute little thing I came up with. I had two cousins get married over the past year and various bits and pieces of conversations with them have inspired this story. I hope you have enjoyed this little two-shot :twilightsmile:

If you liked this story or have constructive criticism to share on either chapter I would love to hear from you guys!

Comments ( 6 )

10467358
Thank you so much for your comment! And I am so glad you enjoyed the story and that you felt something while reading this. :twilightsmile:

i am sobbing :raritycry:
i love this sm. the emotions, omg this is so very well done :fluttershysad:

I want to cry 😢 IT'S SOOOOOO CUTE 😇❤

10726211
Thank you so much for your positive feedback and love on this story! It was a pleasant surprise to wake up to this morning.:twilightsmile: I'm glad you enjoyed the read and hope you stick around for more.

This was such a sweet story! I loved it so much!! :twilightsmile:

Aww that is the most sweetest thing I've ever seen and seen Zephyr Breeze in a different way is really awesome to see and how much he admires rainbow so much not from across but also being a good friend to Fluttershy and his family this was a pretty nice story keep up the good work

Login or register to comment