• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 5,320 Views, 285 Comments

The Spoon That Refused Polish - Hollyfern



Life is unfair. Sometimes even going so far as to thrust upon the young the weight of responsibility. Though, being grown up is no cake-walk either.

  • ...
3
 285
 5,320

Premonitions

The spires of tents striped in two shades of blue came alive just as the sun set, as the posters had promised. The only variation in color came from the grass and the eager mob of ponies at the gates, their excited chatter echoing through the air. The countless tents almost blended in with the dark blue hue of the night sky. They appeared to have flecks of white, giving an almost invisible look to the towering tapestries. Ponies marveled at the height of the tallest tents. A unique clock shaped like a mask, which was the best anypony could describe it as, sat ticking away the last minute before the gates would open, and everypony’s fantasies could spring to life.

This is a LOT bigger than I thought it would be. Silver Spoon gawked at the glimpses of the tents beyond the gates. “What do you think it will be like?” she asked Sweetie Belle, who was squinting to see farther.

“I don’t know,” she replied, shaking her head. “I can see the tents and a little movement on the other side...” Sweetie Belle sighed, giving up her vain effort. “Scootaloo, this would be a good time for you to fly.” She giggled, playfully jabbing her friend.

Scootaloo shrugged. “I would have tried it, but there’s some kinda barrier is over the place. A couple of pegasi have tried, but were bounced back.”

“I heard that there’th a gho’tht that haunt’th thi’th ‘thircu’th.” Twist shuddered, hiding behind Apple Bloom. “Bon-Bon u’thed to vi’thit the ‘thircu’th back when ‘the lived in Baltimare.”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, shaking her head. “Aww c’mon, Twist. Ah doubt th’ circus’d be this popular if it was haunted.”

“Maybe that’s what makes it popular?” Sweetie Belle added, sounding almost hopeful. “I wonder if it’s an attraction. The poster didn’t say much aside from the name and time.”

“That’s good!” Scootaloo grinned. “The less you know about something, the better—right?”

Silver Spoon giggled. “Been talking with my daddy, Scootaloo?” she teased, blowing a raspberry.

Scootaloo blushed and shook her head frantically. “Noooo way!”

“Methink’th the filly doth prote’tht too much.” Twist giggled.

A low, bellowing tone rang out from the clock and the face slowly opened outward to reveal an elaborate design: several cards depicting wild settings encompassed it, each representing an hour.

The oppressive echoes of hundreds of conversations abruptly died down at the arrival of a bright light, heralded in place by a previously inaudible clicking. Lights blinked all over the tents like fireflies, the crowd cooed at the display. The tents became illuminated, the sign appeared, hissing just above the gates; sparks flew, and the crowd backed up collectively. A white light appeared and began to travel in a seemingly-random pattern before curving, sparking a light in the shape of a square that burned merrily in mid-air.

It’s... spelling something! That’s a ‘C’’ and an ‘i’... Silver Spoon followed the spark on its journey until it finished on the other end, spelling out in a glowing blue flame:

Cirque du Mystère

Two unicorns appeared in the booths just beyond the gates on either side of the entrance. The crowd's excitement returned as they filtered out into two neat lines. Odd, Silver Spoon observed. I didn’t even see those two there beforehoof.

“Neat...” Sweetie Belle gasped, her eyes wide along with the eyes of rest of the Crusaders'.

“Awright,” Apple Bloom said, breaking her group’s trance from the gate. “It’s pretty and all, but we oughta meet up with each other on th’ other side soon as we get our tickets, agreed?”

“Yeah!” The Crusaders nodded as the line began to move.

The unicorn smiled to Silver Spoon; she was next in line with her friends queued up behind her. “One hundred bits, please.”

Silver Spoon presented one of her large sacks of bits, and the mare behind the counter laughed as she sifted through well more than the fee. She magically separated the amount and then returned what was left to Silver Spoon’s saddle bag. I knew Daddy gave me too much.

After a few moments, Silver Spoon was waved in with her ticket. She stood by the gate awaiting her friends, but quickly found herself swept away in the crowd, deeper into the circus. The filly struggled through the tide of excited faces, finally working her way to one side. She attempted to look over the crowd but found her efforts fruitless. Great, just great! she turned around and observed the tent behind her, admiring its lovely script above the entrance.

Fortune Teller

Silver Spoon looked around more and noticed the tent was quite smaller than the others, hidden in their shadow. I’ve never had my fortune told before. She looked around one last time for her friends before trotting inside. Silver Spoon looked about, noticing that she was alone in the room. Am I too early? The filly trotted over to a shelf, observing the odd, foreign trinkets. I wonder what I should ask.

Her gaze moved, to a curtain hanging down the middle of the tent, separating it into two parts. Am I... supposed to go...? Silver Spoon took tentative steps towards it; she noticed the curtain was made of beads shaped like little crescent moons. Maybe I should just wait.

Just as she turned, a voice called to her from beyond the curtain. “Do come in, please.” It was a mare’s voice, a faint and delicate tone that seemed to echo from all around.

Hesitantly, Silver Spoon extended a hoof, parting the beads like water. The beads clattered as they hit one another, sounding like rain against a window.

Silver Spoon found herself amazed again at her surroundings. Candles illuminated the room, adding a dream-like glow. There was a table in the middle with an empty chair on one side, and a mare cloaked in black and covered in runes with a long, thin veil over her face, seated on the other. A deck of neatly stacked cards sat next to a large pristine sphere on the table.

“Please, have a seat, little filly,” the mare said.

Silver Spoon moved over to the empty chair and then sat down. Despite the chair being strikingly comfortable, Silver Spoon found herself fidgeting and staring at the floor.

“Before we begin, I must ask you for payment, dearie,” the fortune teller said, almost giggling.

“O-oh!” Silver Spoon blinked in realization. “How much is it?”

“For a glimpse of your future, whatever you feel is enough.”

That’s strange. Silver Spoon tossed the thought around in her head. But at least it’s fair. She nodded, retrieving the sack of leftover bits and sat it on the table. At least I know it’s enough.

The fortune teller waved a gray hoof over the bag, and it disappeared. There was no flourish of light like when a unicorn used magic, it simply vanished. “Now what is it you would like to know?”

I never did figure that out. I wonder how Diamond Tiara is doing... well, I suppose she will be here soon anyway. Oh! I got it! “About my future,” she said. “Someday, I’m going to take over my father’s legacy as his heir. I want to know if I will make him proud.”

“Is this what you want?”

“Yes.” Silver Spoon simply nodded. “At least... it is what I know will happen.” Odd, actually saying that feels strange somehow. She suddenly tensed up. I’ve never thought about it much before... but that means I’ll have to leave Ponyville!

The fortune teller laughed in response, but in a way that eased Silver Spoon. “The circus has a way of stripping away the façades we all wear. Our suppressed thoughts manifest here, showing folks for who they are,” she gestured to Silver Spoon's reflection in her orb. “The arcana is the means by which all is revealed. Let us see what the cards hold in store for you.”

The deck of cards levitated and shuffled in a mesmerizing display, circling around the room and crossing in front of one another several times, folding over like waves. The fortune teller waved a hoof over the table and the cards spread in one fluid motion under her gesture, forming an arc of identical blue designs. “Choose your card,” the fortune teller instructed. “Take all the time you need. Whatever your choice, the card you pick will represent you.”

They all look the same. Silver Spoon frowned as she looked to the arc of cards. The cards were in two shades of blue, with an expressionless mask donning the back of each. From one end to the other, She considered each card. Then, one caught her eye, one that appeared to be atop all the others. “C-Can I touch them?” That was a silly question, she chided herself.

“Of course,” the fortune teller chuckled.

Silver Spoon pulled the card away with a hoof, separating it from the rest.

“Go ahead. Turn it over.” The fortune teller gestured with a hoof, and Silver Soon flipped the card.

The other side of the card surprised Silver Spoon. It depicted a pony clad in astonishing white and blue armor with clouds looming in the sky. The unicorn was in mid gallop, surrounded by several various styles of magically suspended swords. What is this supposed to mean? Silver Spoon looked and saw a name, Knight of Swords, at the bottom of the card.

“Hold on,” Silver Spoon narrowed her eyes. “Is this supposed to be me?”

The mare giggled as she gathered her remaining cards in a neat deck. “Yes, in your reading, this card represents you,” she said with a nod. “Perhaps travel, perhaps movement. Depending on who I am reading for, the meaning could change.”

“Doesn’t that make them hard to read?” Silver Spoon asked.

The mare laughed again, “Sometimes.” She smiled. “Would you like to continue, knowing that?” Silver Spoon nodded, and the fortune teller shuffled the cards again, bending them to her will, over and under, before splitting them off into three neat stacks. “Tell me, which of these speaks to you?” She gestured with a hoof to the cards.

Silver Spoon studied the cards from left to right. Her attention was drawn to a stack on the right that she could swear appeared smaller. It’s just me, Silver Spoon assured herself. “This one,” she pointed to the stack.

The fortune teller nodded. The cards came under her command once again, leaving the deck Silver Spoon chose atop the rest. One at a time she flipped them over, the cards formed a peculiar arrangement, some in rows, others overlapping one another. Shades of blue and white varied from fairly simplistic to extremely decorated, spanning several settings adorned with coins or cups or more swords. Their visage caught and stretched in the crystal orb in the middle of the table.

Silver Spoon stared at her cards, utterly confused. Now what? She looked up to the fortune teller and found it hard to tell what it was she was doing. “Wh-What do they say?”

“This is interesting indeed,” the fortune teller said. She placed a hoof on a card, a mare in a flowing gown balancing scales on her head, and another that Silver Spoon thought appeared to be a tower struck by lightning.

“What do they say?” Silver Spoon asked with growing anxiety. The Tower one looks bad.

“It would appear to me that you have quite the journey ahead of you, little one,” the fortune teller paused, studying her cards for another moment. “There will be important happenings in your life, and with that hefty responsibilities.” She turned to another card, and Silver Spoon could almost see the faintest hint of a smile.

“You will be part of a series of events,” the fortune teller continued. “You may not believe your actions will affect the outcome at the time.” She paused and furrowed her brow. “I also... hear? Yes. I hear a song.”

What a vague fortune. Silver Spoon shook her head, unable to make heads or tails of the cryptic revelations.

The fortune teller sniffed, catching Silver Spoon off guard. “I-I’m sorry.” She removed her veil and wiped her eyes with a hoof. “That song was truly touching. This is one of the rare occasions my crystal ball channeled enough emotion to put sound to my fortunes. ”

For the first time, Silver Spoon, got a good look at the fortune teller’s face. She was relatively young; her face was still mostly hidden by waves of dull black tresses. She looks... kind of familiar. Silver Spoon couldn’t place her hoof on it, but somehow she half expected the mare before her to burst out in song.

“You will be alright.” The mare smiled. “Amidst your decisions, there are surprises and love in store too. Life can whisk one away to far flung places, but remember, nothing, not even your future, is set in stone.”

“I will,” Silver Spoon said, standing, gathering her saddlebag and bowing her head to the fortune teller. “Thank you, Miss...?”

“I cannot say any of my clients have asked that before.”The fortune teller smiled. “Inkamena. Call me Inky, for short.”

“Okay, thank you, Ms. Inky.” Silver Spoon smiled. “It was nice meeting you.”

“The feeling is mutual, Silver Spoon.” Inky smiled back.

Silver Spoon moved out of the tent and thankfully wasn’t carried away again. That was interesting. Silver Spoon nodded to herself as she took in the sights, her hooves leading her nowhere in particular. Ms. Inkamena... hmm... Pinkamena? Wait a minute... She gasped as something became obvious. How did she know my name? I never told her!

Silver Spoon looked up and found herself in a courtyard of sorts. I still can’t find the others. Everywhere she looked, she found more ponies, and even the odd performer or two in the open, but none of her friends.

As the scent of rich chocolate and caramel wafted into her nose, her stomach voiced her hunger. Guess I should eat. Silver Spoon giggled. Across the courtyard she saw a vendor handing off something shaped like a spider covered in caramel or chocolate. She approached with trepidation, waiting until the vendor finished with the ponies before her. “How much is it?”

“Ten bits,” the griffon replied with a smile. “Would you like a lizard, a spider, bat, heart, or a mask?”

“I suppose a heart.” Silver Spoon counted off the necessary funds then placed them on the cart’s counter. I wonder if those are real bugs he’s making there. She tapped a hoof to her chin. Well... no one is complaining, so maybe not?

“Here you are, little filly!” The griffon offered her the treat, a blue heart on a stick.

“I thought this was caramel.” Silver Spoon sniffed it. “Well... it smells like it.” She ran her tongue across it and, much to her surprise, it tasted right—it just appeared blue. She the treat into her mouth and smiled.

“First time?” The vendor asked, cocking a brow.

Silver Spoon nodded.

“I suggest you go towards the big tent.” he pointed in a vague direction with a claw. “The illusionist is our biggest attraction. I think it’s about time that unicorn went on, too.”

“Thank you.” Silver Spoon dipped her head and began in the suggested route.

Signs hung in fancy scripts which Silver Spoon admired as she passed. Spectacular Spectacles, read one; Enigmatic Entities, read another. There’s so much going on, Silver Spoon noted as she passed a small crowd, cooing at what appeared to be golden statues of a zebra and unicorn. Just above them, written in magic a sign read:

The Lovers

“‘Thilver ‘Thpoon!”

Silver Spoon turned, finding Twist waving a hoof at her near the stoic couple. “Oh! Twist, there you are.” She approached Twist, keeping a mindful eye on the statues.

“Aren’t they cool?” Twist gestured to the statues.

Silver Spoon nodded. “Yeah, the sculptor made them look real life-like.”

Twist giggled. “They are real, ‘Thilver ‘Thpoon! You gotta look reeeeeaaal clo’the, but they are moving.”

Silver Spoon leaned in, narrowing her eyes at the golden-painted zebra. The movements were there, but painfully slow. So... very... slow... Hey! Silver Spoon blinked, backing up slowly. “They are!”

“Told ya!” Twist giggled.

Gradually, the statue’s hooves touched, and then they embraced, first in a kiss, then a hug before settling fully into the visage of a perfectly sculpted statue.

“Wow,” Silver Spoon cooed.

“I know, right?” Twist smiled. “Hey, where are ‘Thcootaloo and the other’th?”

“I don’t know.” Silver Spoon shrugged. “I got carried away... literally.”

“Citizens of Ponyville!” a voice announced. “The illusionist is about to perform! Please make your way towards the clock and then into the tent to witness magical feats the princesses themselves have been impressed by!”

Immediately, ponies began rushing past Twist and Silver Spoon, their collective chatter, excitement, and anticipation charging the air.

“Come on!” Twist gestured with a hoof. “Before all the good ‘thpot’th are taken!” Silver Spoon giggled and began after Twist, spotlights in the distance signaling their destination.

The entrance was open, and the possible cumulation of Ponyville filtered into the tent. Twist and Silver Spoon joined them. The inside was lit with spotlights centering on a risen stage surrounded by chairs, making the illusionist’s performance viewable from all angles.

“Oh, it’s her,” remarked one passing mare to a pony at her side.

“Well, she has guts,” the mare’s friend admitted with an awkward smile as they walked away. “After the whole Ursa Minor thing, I thought she was gone for good.”

“Are they talking about... Trick’thie?”

“The Great and Powerful,” snapped a voice. A mare confidently trotted by, her silvery mane and tail shimmered as she stepped into the spotlight, smirking proudly.

“So here y’all are.” Apple Bloom’s voice came from behind.

“Hey, Silvy!” Sweetie Belle widely grinned.

“This circus sure is something.” Scootaloo remarked, nodding her head. “Everytime I think I’ve found something amazing, something new and even more awesome pops up. You two should check out the labyrinth.”

“Then here’s Trixie of all ponies.” Apple Bloom shook her head. “The folks here sure do seem t’ like her, though. Ah guess ya get in where ya fit in. Let’s get us some seats, girls.”

Silver Spoon and the others followed Apple Bloom’s lead to a set of chairs in the middle of the crowd. Trixie seemed to have her attention on one pony in particular near the edge of the ring.

“Oh, M’th ‘thparkle i’th here!” Twist said, pointing a hoof..

“Oooh, I see where this is going.” Scootaloo smirked. “She’s gonna try to one-up Twi.”

Everypony’s immediate attention was immediately drawn to the stage as the stage around Trixie burst into flames. Reflexively, the crowd closest to the stage panicked and abandoned their eats, retreating to a row farther away. Save for Twilight Sparkle, that is.

“I guess Twilight isn’t amused.” Sweetie Belle shrugged.

“It’s an illusion, right? Of course Twilight can do better.” Scootaloo rolled her eyes. The previously fear-stricken crowd cooed as they gradually returned to their seats and then applauded.

“Prepare yourselves,” Trixie said. She closed her eyes then inhaled deeply, exhaling evenly. Ice jutted outwards and encased Trixie inside. Her eyes shot open, the icy stalagmite shattered and scattered in the wind, sparkling throughout the tent in a cooling wave.

“Pretty!” Twist cooed.

Twilight Sparkle smirked, cocking a brow. The sparkles popped like fireworks, illuminating the tent in a plethora of colors, the crowd began applauding as the colors danced across everyone’s face.

“Twi two, Trixie zero.” Scootaloo giggled.

The fireworks grew in luminosity and size, one of which loosed a thunderous roar as the display took on the shape of a rearing hydra, poised to lash out at Twilight Sparkle. In responce, Twilight Sparkle’s horn shone and the image of a cerberus sprang forth, colliding with Trixie’s magic and making even more light fill the tent.

The crowd was applauding as the fireworks fought in a mesmerizing display of color and sound, though Trixie appeared to be less than satisfied with how her battle with Twilight Sparkle was going.

“I had no idea Trixie would hold this much of a grudge, “ Sweetie Belle said with a frown. “She really seems mad that she can’t win.”

“‘The i’th already great with magic, a’th good a’th M’th ‘Thparkle.”Twist noted with a nod. “I don’t ‘thee why ‘the ’th ‘tho mad.”

“Gotta admit though, fighting fireworks almost makes me wish I was a unicorn!” Scootaloo chuckled. “Almost. Not really, though.”

Trixie narrowed her eyes, her pupils pure white and billowing smoke. “Witness my splendor!” Her voice reverberated through the tent. A flourish of blinding light forced Silver Spoon to shield her eyes. “Your eyes deceive you, an illusion fools you all, bask in my prowess!

Silver Spoon blinked her eyes to adjust to the light, her surroundings made her jaw drop. The other attendants to the illusionist’s performance roamed about in the sunlight. Even Twilight Sparkle appeared thoroughly amazed at the fact they were now in a glade, the sky rolling on forever.

“I... I take back what I said.” Scootaloo chuckled. “I don’t think Twi is this good!”

“Ah’ll say!” Apple Bloom nodded. “Fer an illusion, this sure feels real.” She dug a small hole in the grass.

“Incredible!” Silver Spoon gasped, drinking in the landscape. She looked to her hooves, giggling as the grass gently tickled her legs. “I can feel it.”

“Trick’thie has been practicing,” Twist said. “Thi’th i’th ‘thomething you hear about in ‘Thtar’thwirl ‘thtorie’th...”

“Well, she wears stars on her clothes,” Scootaloo noted, gesturing to Trixie with a hoof. “Maybe he was her grandpa or something.”

“Ah wouldn’t be surprised.” Apple Bloom shook her head. “Smart as they come, if a bit full of herself.”

Silver Spoon scanned the area, marveling at the palpability of her surroundings, trotting off in no direction in particular. I never knew magic could ever be this strong... I wonder if Sunset can do things like this. She paused, shaking her head. Yeah, right.

“Trixie is quite the marvel, isn’t she?” Chuckled a voice.

“She is!” Silver Spoon nodded. She turned, gasping and jumping back from the pony that towered above her.

The pale pony wore a tuxedo and top hat and stood as tall as a minotaur. He had no facial features, as the stallion appeared to be wearing a mask. He chuckled, shaking his head . “I do apologise if my figure appears imposing.”

Silver Spoon shook her head, trying not to stare. “You just startled me is all,” she answered, stealing glances at his face.

The stallion chuckled again. “Perhaps it is a mask,” he answered as if reading Silver Spoon’s mind. “A mask no different than the one you are wearing.”

“Mask?” Silver Spoon blinked.

“I apologize.” The stallion said. “I’m being cryptic and I have yet to introduce myself. I am the Ringleader of Cirque du Mystère,” he tipped his hat. “Call me Mr. S.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” Silver Spoon said with a smile. “My name is Silver Spoon.”

“I’th that the gho’tht?” Twist gasped, drawing on the attention of the other Crusaders and the collective crowd, effectively stealing the attention of Trixie’s show.

Trixie leered from the other side of the glade, the stallion shrugged. “Please do not mind me,” he said to the crowd. “The main attraction is the illusionist. I am no more than a spectator such as yourselves, here to enjoy the show.”

“Slender, Trixie wishes you would have told her you would be attending!” She hissed. “But, since you are here you better make yourself useful. Trixie only wishes she would have better prepared for a double act.”

The stallion moved to Trixie’s side, his coat tails fluttering in the breeze. “You were taught to expect surprises, were you not?” Mr. S coyly chuckled. His body stretched, coiling around Trixie like a snake, leaving her standing atop his head.

The audience gasped backing away, and even Twilight sparkle looked shocked.

“That... that there ain’t normal.” Apple Bloom shook her head. “That’s kinda cool,” she added with a nod. “But it ain’t right.”

“That’th gotta be who Bon-Bon wa’th talking about!”

“Twist, you sure that thing classifies as a ‘who’?” Scootaloo narrowed her eyes. “Has that guy even heard of this new thing called ‘bones’ before?”

“Maybe he’s a contortionist?” Silver Spoon couldn’t help but stare now, anxiety and excitement mixed, anticipation built for the already promising next act. “Well, then again, even if he is... that’s stretching it—no pun intended.”

“We should work to uphold our reputation,” Mr. S scanned the crowd, taking in their mixed reactions. “It is our duty to ensure our visitors get the most for their ticket.”

“How irritating...” Trixie rolled her eyes, her horn flashed, and the ringleader and herself were nowhere to be seen. The scenery began to distort to an empty void, not unlike the night sky that twinkled with distant stars. Gradually, the stars began to move, and one by one the began to scream through the space, passing harmlessly through the crowd despite the occasional attempt to scamper out of the line of fire.

Woah... Silver Spoon giggled as a star passed through her chest, leaving a twinkling trail of stardust.

“G-G-G-Girl’th..!” Twist’s voice trembled. Silver Spoon turned as found Twist in a cold sweat, shaking like a leaf with her eyes screwed shut.

“Twist!” Silver Spoon gasped. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

Twist furiously shook her head. “I-I wanna leave!”

“What’s gotten into you?” Scootaloo asked.

“I need to leave!” Twist pleaded.

“Then lets go, if Twist ain’t up fer it, we oughta git.” Apple Bloom moved around, waving her hooves in the air until she caught a snag in the void. “C’mon, y’all.”

Silver Spoon and the others coaxed Twist out of the tent, the fear-gripped filly keeping her eyes closed the entire time. “Are you going to tell us what’s wrong, Twist?” Sweetie Belle asked. “You sound real scared.”

“I’m ‘thorry...” Twist meekly hung her head.

“Just tell us what’s up.”

“I ju’tht can’t... I’m kinda, you know... ’thcared of height’th...”Twist admitted.

“Scared of heights? Why didn’t you just say something?” Scootaloo huffed. “I mean, we could have left so you wouldn’t have had to freak out.”

“That’s a little mean, Scootaloo.” Silver Spoon said.

“I wasn’t trying to be.” Scootaloo shrugged. “I just want her to be more careful, y’know?”

“Ah can see what Scoots means.” Apple Bloom nodded, placing a hoof on Twist’s shoulder. “Twist, try openin’ up a lil more, awright?”

Twist nodded, weakly smiling. “I’m ‘thorry about thi’th though... you all had to leave the ‘thow becau’the of me.”

“We can always do other things,” Sweetie Belle said with a smile. “This place is big, we’ll find something, I’m sure.”

“Of course!” Silver Spoon chirped. “I’ve gotten lost in here and I don’t think I found anything that didn’t seem interesting.”

“Lets walk around n’ see what we agree on.” Apple Bloom said.

“Thank you, girl’th.” Twist smiled.

Silver Spoon smiled as Apple Bloom took the lead. Always in charge. Silver Spoon mused to herself as the group proceeded through the circus. The clock hung overhead, reaching out to the stars as it struck midnight.
---
“Oh, Daddy you should have been there!” Silver Spoon squeaked, grinning from ear to ear as she bounced in her bed. “We played all sorts of things. Ring toss, something called Skee Ball, and there was even a tent where you could write on the wall! We all signed our names.” she paused and yawned, covering her mouth with a hoof. “It was incredible...”

Sterling pouted, sighing heavily as he nodded again. “I’ll bet! You’ve been on about it ever since you stepped in the door.”

“It sound as if you enjoyed the illusionist the most, Silver Spoon.” Sunset softly smiled. “I do hope your little friend is alright.”

“She had fun too, Sunset.” Silver Spoon smiled. “I think you would have liked the dunk tank.” She giggled.

“I know I would have...” Sterling playfully lamented. “But, I am glad you had fun. What was the theme?”

“Oh, I nearly forgot about that...” Silver Spoon tapped a hoof to her chin, recalling the evening. Something about the arcanes? “There were a lot of cards, even the clock looked like one. The fortune teller said something about the arcana or the arcanes being revealed.”

“Oh, tarot cards.” Sunset spoke up. “I know something about those.”

“I have an idea,” Sterling said with a nod. “Darling, where is Seabastion?”

“He’s in his room.” Sunset answered. “He wasn’t feeling well today an—”

“Not feeling well?” Sterling interrupted, narrowing his eyes and shaking his head. “Why didn’t you say something earlier? When did he start feeling this way?”

Silver Spoon’s eyes widened. I’ve never seen him like this. He sounds... scared.

“A little after the party ended,” Sunset said evenly. “He’s in his room, he says it is just a cold. Poor August Hoof has been pulling double duty.” She sighed.

“I’m going to go see him,” Sterling quickly said before rushing out of the room.

Sunset sighed, shaking her head. “You worry too much, honey.”

“Is... is he going to be alright?” Silver Spoon asked, still recovering from Sterling’s behavior.

“Seabastion is very dear to your father,” Sunset explained. “Possibly the only pony he cares for as much as me, Sterling tends to overreact if somepony he cares for so much as sneezes. Seabastion used to be a very different stallion when we met.” Sunset smiled. “Very quick with criticism, he almost came off as rude, but after awhile I came to understand him. He truly cares, he really looks after Sterling. Do you want to know what he did the day of our wedding?”

Silver Spoon silently nodded.

“He came to me and offered an aspirin,” Sunset laughed. “I looked at him, completely surprised and confused and asked, ‘What’s this for?’ He replied, ‘You’re marrying him, young mare, you’ll need it.’”

“No way,” Silver Spoon giggled, shaking her head.

“It’s true, August Hoof followed up with ginger ale, his mother with a book on stress relief.” Sunset smiled. “I’ve memorized everything in that book, the best way to deal with Sterling is in moderation. Though sometimes he scares me, it’s as if I’m married to a colt and not just a stallion with colt-ish charm.”

“What do you mean?” Silver Spoon blinked then yawned, placing a hoof over her mouth.

Sunset shook her head, “Nothing,” she said with a smile. “I’m just going on now. I suggest you check on Seabastion tomorrow, your father no doubt wants to speak with him alone and I can see you are worn out.”

Silver Spoon nodded, resting her head on her pillow as Sunset removed her glasses with magic. “Goodnight, Sunset,” she yawned.

“Goodnight, Silver Spoon.” Sunset adjusted Silver Spoon’s sheets to tuck her in. "Sweet dreams," she said, leaving a kiss on Silver Spoon's forehead.