• ...
53
 867
 10,834

Nerds Being Silly

A Human, a Pony Princess, and a Mistake

Excerpt 2: Nerds Being Silly

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen any “medicine” with that shade of green,” Moon Dancer quipped as Tom presented Flim and Flam’s Tonic.

“Yeah, well, our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to find out what’s this stuff made of. Doesn’t matter if it looks like liquefied grass or not,” Tom pointed out.

“Spike, could you grab my Bunsen burner and a few beakers and stands?” Twilight requested of the dragonling.

“Aye, aye, Twilight!” Spike replied eagerly and went down to the basement to grab the equipment.

“Well, first things first. Over the lips, past the gums, look out stomach, here it comes!” Tom took a swig of the concoction before either of the mares could stop him. Twilight and Tom both paused as the taste washed over his tongue.

“Is it really that simple?” Tom asked bewildered.

“Flim and Flam wouldn’t put any more effort into this than strictly necessary. It might just be that simple,” Twilight pointed out.

“Moon Dancer, take a sip of this and tell us if we’re crazy,” Tom offered her the bottle.

“I can already tell you’re crazy just because you drank an unknown mixture,” Moon Dancer deadpanned, but took a sip anyway, “Is that just…apple juice and beet leaves?”

“That’s what I thought too! I mean, we’ll still have to test it for any additives, but it tastes like just squeezed apple juice and beet leaves,” Tom exclaimed.

“I don’t think it has any additives, except maybe some vitamin supplements. You forget, Tom, pony taste is a lot stronger than what you’ve told me human taste is like. Most of what you people put in your food wouldn’t fly in Equestria,” Twilight observed.

“How to know you’ve been in a pony body too long: you forget what things taste like as a human,” Tom sulked.

Spike came back up the stairs and after a small amount of testing they discovered it was indeed just apple juice and beet leaves. Not a single extra ingredient was added.

“You know, I’m almost impressed by the sheer audacity the Flim Flam Brothers have. Trying to sell such common items as a cure-all that all of Equuis has been looking for since the dawn of time,” Moon Dancer remarked.

“I suppose we should just tell AJ what’s in it and be done with it,” Twilight sighed.

“You know, maybe this is just my inner pyro talking, but it’d be a shame to put the Bunsen burner and stuff away after we just brought it up here,” Tom commented casually.

“What are you suggesting?” Moon Dancer asked.

“Well, I don’t know about you girls, but chemistry has always been one of my favorite fields of science. What say you we “improve” Flim and Flam’s little drink?” Tom proposed.

“Sure, what the heck? I’m game,” Twilight shrugged.

“I mean, it wouldn’t be hard, but when you say ‘improve’ what do you mean?” Moon Dancer questioned.

“We start with a base of apple juice and beet leaves. Then we just throw whatever we feel like into the pot, see if anything happens,” Tom replied.

“You just want to see something blow up, don’t you?” Spike accused.

“I will neither confirm nor deny any accusations of that nature,” Tom answered with a smirk.

It was a simple matter to pull out a large cauldron and apply a proper heating cantrip to it so soon it was half full of simmering apple juice and beet leaves. The group spent the time it took for the liquid to reach a simmer gathering other ingredients. They also gathered gas masks, just in case they got too exuberant in their fun.

“So, do we just throw everything in, or what?” Spike asked.

“Silly Spike, we’ve gotta put things in one by one or it’s gonna spill everywhere. Now, what should we put in first?” Tom inquired.

“I vote we put in the carrot juice first,” Twilight opined.

“Why?” Moon Dancer asked.

“I mean, if we’re just here to have fun anyway, why not start with the carrot juice?” Twilight asked.

“She has a point Moon Dancer,” Tom remarked as he poured in the carrot juice.

“OK, if we’re abandoning all rhyme and reason, then throw in some sulfur next!” Moon Dancer insisted and Tom added it to the pot.

“Goat’s milk!”

“Potassium!”

“Spike, add a handful of bay leaves!”

“Molasses!”

“Sulfuric acid!”

“Oats!”

“Are you two just hungry?” Moon Dancer asked with arched eyebrow as Tom poured in a few cups of oats.

“Maybe,” Both admitted before Twilight started giggling.

“Didn’t your mothers ever tell you not to do science on an empty stomach?” Moon Dancer teased.

“I thought that was never shop on an empty stomach?” Tom snarked as he threw in some crushed white peppercorns.

“To be fair, I think a lot of things are done less optimally when hungry,” Twilight commented as she directed Spike to add tomato juice.

“After this, we eat!” Tom announced as he added red food coloring.

“You know, I don’t think we’re getting into the spirit of this experiment,” Twilight said with a thoughtful look.

“What do you suggest?” Tom wondered as he added some mayo.

“Does your world have Frankenstein?” Twilight asked with a growing grin.

“Oh, I like where this is going,” Moon Dancer snarked.

“There is indeed a novel by that name back on Earth. So we go full Dr. Frankenstein?” Tom was almost vibrating with excitement.

“IGOR, FETCH US THE SUGAR, SPICE, AND EVERYTHING NICE!” Twilight shouted by way of answering.

“At once, my master!” Moon Dancer snickered in a terrible accent.

“Igor 2, fetch us the butterfly wings!” Tom ordered.

“Does this mean my brain is gonna get transplanted into the monster?” Spike asked.

“Dragon parts are sure to be valuable,” Twilight mused.

“MUHAHAH! IGOR, FETCH ME THE SALTPETER!” Tom laughed evilly.

“YES, MY MASTER!” Moon Dancer cried out.

“THOSE FOOLS WILL RUE THE DAY THEY CALLED ME MAD!” Twilight crowed.

“Nope,” The trio turned just in time to see Applejack slam the door shut. They all broke down laughing after that.

Author's Note:

Obviously this takes place during Applejack's Dilemma. I just felt like posting something super silly.

Speaking of super silly things and things I probably should've mentioned in last chapter's notes: I quite enjoy creating Commandments for fictional species. I don't know why, but it amuses me.

For example, the only really universal Commandment I can think of is "Thou shalt not take the Lord's Name in vain".

On the other hand, something like "Marriage is between one man and one woman" would definitely not work for the mono gender Asari and can you imagine how awkward it would be for Time Lords if one spouse Regenerated as the opposite sex and that Commandment applied?

I just like to think that if there are aliens out there (which Scripture suggests there is) then I'd think God would put more thought into his Commandments than just copy and pasting for every species.