• ...
53
 866
 10,782

A Great Rift

A Human, a Pony Princess, and a Mistake

Chapter 5: A Great Rift

“You wanted to speak with us, Tom, Twilight?” It was about six hours after Celestia had raise the sun for the Summer Sun Celebration and the princesses had completed their duty of socializing with the nobles. They had all retired to Celestia’s personal chambers.

“Yeah…you both might want to sit or lie down. This isn’t going to be pleasant for anyone involved,” Taking his own advice Tom sat down.

“Please, don’t be so ominous, Sir Tom. Tell us plainly what is bothering yourself and Twilight,” Luna requested. Tom took a steadying breath before opening his mouth.

“Celestia, why did you lie to Luna about the Changelings?” Whatever the sisters had been expecting, it hadn’t been that. Celestia’s legs seemed to give out and she fell on her plot.

“Sister, what does he mean, lied to me about the Changelings?” Luna’s voice carried a dangerous edge. Tom waited a beat for Celestia to answer before answering himself.

“Chrysalis and the Changelings are alive. Maybe not alive and well, but certainly alive. They attacked Canterlot during Cadence’s and Shining Armor’s wedding a couple of months ago.” Tom reported. Luna rounded on her sister.

“You told me they were dead,” Luna hissed, “You told me you had personally gone to their hive and a terrible sickness had wiped them all out. YOU LOOKED ME IN THE EYES AND TOLD ME MY BEST FRIEND WAS DEAD!”

“Luna, I-”

“Don’t ‘Luna’ me,” Luna snapped. She turned back to Tom and Twilight, “What did Chrysalis look like when you saw her?”

“She was as tall as Celestia, with insectoid wings, black carapace. Her horn was very crooked and she had some kind of crown on her head. Her mane and tail were a greenish blue. Her legs, wings, mane, and tail all had holes in them,” Twilight replied and Tom repeated. Luna was nodding along until they mentioned the holes. Then her face turned horrified.

“Are you sure about the holes?!” Luna asked desperately.

“Quite sure, some were big enough to fit a baseball through,” Twilight answered. Luna slumped down like a puppet with her strings cut.

“Stars above, even when I first met her she wasn’t that starved…” Luna murmured.

“Starved?” Tom asked.

“Yes, where on a starving pony you would see their ribcage and hips most prominently, a starving Changeling will develop holes in their carapace. The more starved of love they are, the more numerous and greater the size of the holes,” Luna explained miserably. Tom could sense Twilight wanted to ask more about how that worked, but decided it could wait until later.

“So she attacked the wedding out of starvation fueled desperation?” Tom asked.

“That sounds to be the case. If Chrysalis were in that bad a shape, I can only imagine she must be giving every scrap of love she can muster to her children. Even if her biology seems to be comparable to an Alicorn’s she won’t be able to avoid dying of starvation forever,” Luna suddenly shot up, “I have to find her! I already though I’d lost her once, I can’t bare it a second time!”

“Luna, wait-” What Celestia wanted Luna to wait for was lost as the Moon Princess sent an absolutely bone chilling glare at her sister. Luna then imperiously marched out the door.

“Why Celestia?” Twilight sounded like a kid who just found out their parents didn’t love each other anymore.

“Yeah, I’d like to know that too,” Tom said to Twilight before turning to the Sun Princess, “What could possibly justify hurting your sister like that?” Celestia’s face crumpled like a paper bag.

“There is no excuse. I saw how the Changelings fed and it frightened me. I saw how close Luna and Chrysalis were despite only knowing each other for a few short weeks. At the time I justified it to myself as a kindness to force Luna and Chrysalis apart, for I thought that the Changeling Queen was a mortal and she would inevitably leave Luna in death. I pretended a short heartbreak over an even shorter friendship would be best for Luna.”

“Well then maybe you should’ve made sure Chrysalis and the Changelings were really dead, instead of just sealing them away,” Tom said harshly.

“TOM!” Twilight protested. Celestia let out a humorless laugh.

“I could not bring myself to actually do the deed. That had always been Luna’s job. I simply didn’t have the stomach for outright murder, so I settled for sealing them away and ignoring the fact that I was dooming them to death of starvation, or at least I thought I was. When Chrysalis reveled herself at the wedding, I was so scared. I thought a literal ghost of my past had come back to haunt me. I panicked. I teleported away to place a sleep spell on Luna so she wouldn’t wake up. I then put on the mask of my station and confronted Chrysalis. In the end, it was shockingly easy to manipulate the conversation away from the fact that she and I knew each other. Although, I wonder how much of that I can attribute to my own skill and how much to Chrysalis being on the edge of delirium from starvation.”

If Twilight had been in control, she would have been weeping. As it was, Tom could sense the feeling of betrayal permeating her. He stood and turned towards the door.

“I think I’m gonna go find Luna. I’ve just about had my fill of you, Celestia.” Celestia flinched as though he had physically struck her, but didn’t say anything as the pair left her chambers.


“Luna!” Tom called out to the Moon Princess when he found her in the maid quarters, of all places.

“Sir Tom, Twilight, what can I-?” Her question was cut off as Tom rocketed forward to hug the larger pony.

“Twilight and I both agree you needed a hug pretty badly,” Tom said by way of explanation. Luna was tense for a moment, before relaxing into the hug.

“Thank you, it is much appreciated. Now, tell me, how did you discover my sister’s deception?” Luna asked.

“While we were looking for you both after the vines got you, we wound up taking a potion that let us see visions of the past. We both saw the night you were banished to the moon, Twilight saw you defeating Discord and harvesting the Elements from the Tree. I saw snippets of your friendship with Chrysalis and Celestia’s imprisonment of the Changelings and her lying to you about it,” Tom answered.

“Was it a purple elixir that turned white upon exposure to Dark Magic?” Luna inquired.

“You know of it?” Twilight and Tom asked.

“Indeed, that particular potion was made about a decade after my sister and I took the throne. I remember the pony who invented it being so pleased with himself, thinking he had found a way to recover what had been lost during the reign of Discord. Unfortunately, as you both no doubt discovered, the potion requires an Alicorn to use Dark Magic for it to even activate. Once it does, it only shows you small moments of Destiny altering events. The one time I did partake of it, I witnessed a truly glorious clash between Titans what I can only guess were eons before the pony races came about,” Luna reminisced.

“That’s fascinating!” Twilight exclaimed.

“So, now that you know Chrysalis is out there, what’s your plan?” Tom questioned.

“You caught me in the middle of preparing my things for a trip to the Badlands. That is where the Hive of old was located and if she is not there, then it is at least a place to begin my search. However, if she is not there, then there is no telling how long I may be gone or what adversities I may face. Even if I do find her straightway, much of my magic and energy will be spent making sure she does not die of starvation on the spot. As such, I would ask a favor of you both.” Luna requested.

“Of course we’ll help if we’re able!” Twilight exclaimed and Tom echoed her sentiment. Luna smiled at them.

“Truly, you are both honest friends and stalwart companions. I will teach you how to raise and lower my moon. I pray it does not come to that, but it would put my mind at ease to know someone is capable of the duty if I am unable. Celestia could do it, of course, but I’d rather not have her touching my moon at the moment.”

“I’d say that’s pretty understandable,” Tom remarked.

“Are you sure we can do this?” Twilight asked and Tom passed along.

“You are an Alicorn with a special talent for Magic. You may not find it moves with the ease for which it moves for me, but you will certainly be able to coax it along,” Luna assured them.

“I’m sorry it’s come to this. I know this whole mess would have come out eventually, but a nagging part of me can’t help feel like it’s my fault you and Celestia are fighting. It’s only been a year since you came back and now I’m forcing you apart again,” Tom murmured.

“Nay, Sir Tom, Celestia and I grew up together. We have hurt each other before and I have no doubt we will do so again. For all that my sister has tried to pretend otherwise in recent times, we are not good ponies. I shall forgive her, in time,” Luna sighed.

“That doesn’t make it right!” Twilight exclaimed. Tom agreed with a nod of his head.

“No, it does not. However, my sister and I are the rulers of Equestria and tied to the sun and moon besides. We cannot let petty squabbles consume us,” Luna replied wearily.

“Attempted murder of an entire species and lying to you about your best friend being dead is ‘petty’?” Tom asked in disbelief. Luna let out a bark of laughter.

“We have both done worse when we were first forming Equestria. Tia would raze enemy farms and entrenchments with the fury of her sun. I would use the Dream Realm to plant terrible nightmares in the minds of their leaders. For those who resisted even after that, I was typically called on to assassinate them. Together we slew every Windigo that threatened our ponies. I am fairly confident that we wiped them all out, although I have been wrong before, I will admit. Windigos are a tricky sort, after all. I oft times find it hard to believe the Elements would ever accept us, even when it has already happened. Though perhaps they merely accepted us as delivery mares until they could unite with their true Bearers...”

“But there’s no mention of that in any of the history books!” Twilight protested. Tom repeated her with an amused smirk on his face.

“And none of the history books so much as mentioned myself to begin with,” Luna rebutted, “Celestia has a remarkable gift for scrubbing the history books clean of any blood. Sir Tom, you don’t seem terribly surprised.”

“One thing my history professor taught me was anything taught in school history would be sanitized for ‘our protection’. I learned a fair bit about how brutal forging a new country could be from my own research. Also, I’m not a pony who has idolized Celestia since before I could talk. You both are just abnormally powerful ponies to me,” Tom replied with a shrug.

“You should count yourself blessed to have been under the tutelage of such an open scholar,” Luna remarked.

“Yeah, Professor Weinhart was one of my favorites,” Tom said nostalgically.

“Oh! We did not mean-” Tom held up a hoof to forestall Luna.

“I know. I’ve gotta get over the fact I’m never going home sooner or later. Can’t have everyone walking on eggshells about my past forever,” Tom chided.

“That is a good mindset to have, I suppose. But I do not think it is coming from the healthiest of places. Mayhap I can help you and Twilight in the Dream Realm?” Luna inquired.

“NO! No, I mean, I’m sure you have a lot of ponies to help and you have to go find Chrysalis,” Luna’s arched eyebrow and Twilight’s damning silence told Tom it was time to get while the getting was good, “I’m going to go find our friends!”

Unfortunately, no matter how fast he ran, Twilight’s judgmental silence was still in the back of his mind. Eventually Tom got fed up from not finding any of the other Bearers and Twilight’s silence.

“What do you want from me?!” He finally shouted.

“I want you to go to my mom so she can schedule an appointment with my psychologist,” Twilight replied blandly.

“I do not need to see a psychologist!” Tom said indignantly.

“So you’ve been forcefully transplanted into an alien of the opposite sex with no way to get home and you are in absolutely no psychological distress. Right…pull my horn,” Twilight’s sarcasm could cleave mountains, “Even besides; I feel the need to talk to her. I’m getting cabin fever something awful. Being trapped in your own head can be terribly claustrophobic sometimes.”

“I… well… fine,” Tom could stonewall for days if she had only said she was concerned for him. Bringing her own well being into the picture caused any resistance to crumble like a flaming tower of matchsticks.

“Good, I’ll lead you to my house,” Twilight sounded happy, so that was something at least. Ten minutes later, the pair arrived at Twilight’s house. Tom knocked on the door at waited for but a moment.

“Coming!” A female voice called out from inside.

“That’s Mom,” Twilight noted just before the door opened.

“Twilight!” Tom was wrapped in a bone crushing hug by the older mare.

“Um, actually-”

“It’s so nice of you to visit your parents Twilight,” Twilight’s mother, Twilight Velvet, greeted in a slightly strained tone.

“That’s odd, Mom knows what’s going on so why is she-” Twilight’s question was cut off by another cry.

“Twilight?!” Poking her head around a corner, a mint green Unicorn appeared.

“Lyra?” Tom recognized her from Ponyville, but hadn’t actually met the mare face to face.

“Hey, it’s been forever since I’ve seen you! Well, not forever forever. I see you all the time in Ponyville! We just haven’t, you know, talked. Oh, I know, I should go get the rest of our friends! We can meet up at Doughnut Joe’s!” Like a bolt, Lyra zipped out of the Sparkle house without Tom or Twilight being able to utter a word.

“You’re friends with Lyra?” Tom asked.

“‘Our’ friends?” Twilight sounded equally mystified.

“She didn’t tell you? If it weren’t for Lyra, Twinkleshine, Minuette, Lemon Hearts, and Moon Dancer she wouldn’t have ever left that dusty old tower of hers. Honestly I wish they would’ve been able to drag her outside more often, but no use crying over spilt milk,” Twilight Velvet shrugged, “Now, what brings you two over to visit a lonely old mare like myself?”

“Mom, you’re not that old, you’re only thirty nine,” Twilight said in a put upon voice, “Now, what was Lyra doing here?” Tom relayed the message as Velvet ushered them into the sitting room.

“Oh, Lyra is such a sweet girl; she usually turns up for a cup of tea every time she’s in Canterlot. She even brings her fillyfriend Bon-Bon- oh, whoops, I mean ‘best friend’,” Velvet chuckled at the younger generation’s silliness. In her opinion, anyone with eyes could tell they were made for each other.

“Oh my Stars, I can’t believe I forgot about all my friends in Canterlot! I’m such a terrible pony!” Twilight moaned.

“I do believe we are getting off track. Why would a mare’s only daughter ever want to visit this old spinster. Unless it was your idea, Tom?” Velvet asked.

“You can’t be a spinster, Mom, you’re married to Dad. You’re an editor, you should know this!” Twilight grumbled. Tom passed this along just to see the fireworks.

“My dear, wonderful, beautiful daughter…I can always sign you up for my next barrel riding trip,” Velvet threatened.

“I think Twilight is sufficiently whipped,” Tom said, ignoring Twilight’s begging for forgiveness, “The reason we’re here is because Twilight wants you to book us an appointment with her psychologist.” Whatever Velvet had expected, it wasn’t that.

“I thought you hated Dr. Mind, Twily.”

“I don’t hate her…” Twilight demurred.

“Wait, so you saying you wanted to talk to her about cabin fever was just a trap? We haven’t even known each other for a month and you’re already playing me like a fiddle,” Tom griped. Twilight winced.

“I was not ‘playing’ you.”

“Right, well, I suppose that ship has already sailed. Now, let’s talk about you being friends with Lyra and a whole group of other ponies whom you’ve apparently forgotten,” Tom was maybe feeling a touch vindictive.

“I can’t believe I’m such a terrible pony! One day I just up and left and never looked back. Lyra was there in Ponyville almost the entire time, but I just ignored her!” Twilight lamented.

“I’m just going to warm up some tea,” Velvet remarked before popping back into the kitchen.

“To be fair to you, you had a lot on your plate at any given time. You’ve only told me about a fraction of your misadventures, but if there’s any consistency to them, they’ve been very distracting,” Tom played devil’s advocate.

“That doesn’t excuse what I’ve done! I’m supposed to be the Princess of Friendship! How could I be such a terrible friend?!” Twilight was quickly working herself into a fine tizzy.

“Or that could just mean you’ve grown as a person and are now someone worthy of the title ‘Princess of Friendship’. Also, people grow apart all the time. As you said, Lyra was in Ponyville almost the entire time. It’s not like she or those others reached out to you either,” Tom tried to point out.

“We didn’t just ‘grow apart’, I abandoned them! I took a story in a book of old mare’s tales way too seriously and then poof! Off I went, never to see them again! I didn't even remember their names! If I really am a better pony than I was, then at the very least I have to apologize to them!” Twilight insisted as her mother placed a cup of tea before them. Tom nodded gratefully before taking a sip.

“Well, you got me there. If that’s the case, we should probably head over to this Doughnut Joe’s and meet up with them. With any luck we’ll run into at least one of the other Bearers, er, former Bearers.”

“Just remember to come back from time to time to visit your poor, decrepit mother, Twilight. Your father misses you too. He really wants to meet your Special Somepony~” Velvet teased.

“Moooooooooooom!” Twilight groaned.

“I’ll be sure to have Twilight fit more time into her schedule for her doddering parents,” Tom smirked.

“TOM!” Twilight’s outrage just caused him to snicker.

“That’s all I ask, dear. Now you should get going. Wouldn’t want to miss Twily’s big reunion tour,” Velvet joked, “I’ll send word through Spike as to when your appointment will be.”

“Thanks for the tea, Original Twilight. See you later and Twilight says ‘bye’ too,” With that, they were out the door, leaving Twilight Velvet alone again.

“Oh Twilight,” The horrible words of a mother fearful for her daughter seemed to echo in the empty house. All she could do was put on a brave front and be a source of comfort for her child and her unwilling companion. Maybe, in the end, that was all any mother could do.

Author's Note:

Yeah...that last paragraph...:fluttercry: