• ...
53
 867
 10,810

Loyalty Steps Up

A Human, A Pony Princess, and a Mistake

Chapter 11: Loyalty Steps Up

It had been a little over a week since the Changelings had started to earnestly move into Ponyville. Their new Hive was well on its way to completion and honestly everyone in Ponyville was pretty happy with the situation. Everyone except Celestia, that is, who had left scorch marks along Main Street after getting into a shouting match with her younger sister.

In the end, all it had taken was one icy glare from Twilight to send the alabaster Alicorn scampering back to Canterlot. Rainbow Dash mused on how odd it was how these things worked out. As little as two months ago, it would have been impossible to imagine Twilight even entertaining a negative thought about Celestia. Yet here they were, in a world where Daring Do was a real pony and Twilight quite possibly hated her old mentor’s guts. Celestia was so lucky none of the Canterlot nobility paid any attention to what happened down in Ponyville.

Come to think of it, maybe that was why Celestia allowed herself to get into the shouting match with Luna in the first place? A chance to let off some steam? Well, Rainbow didn’t care. She’d thrown in her lot with Twilight, Tom, and Luna and Rainbow was nothing if not Loyal to her chosen cause.

Speaking of chosen causes, one such cause is what brought her to the still in progress Changeling Hive. She had decided to whip up a team for the Equestrian Games after Mayor Mare had mentioned to her that, with the influx of Changelings, Ponyville was now eligible to send a team to compete.

Rainbow Dash, as weather manager, had a fair idea of the abilities of all the Pegasai in Ponyville, because every one of them came together for when it was time to funnel water to Cloudsdale. The Changelings, on the other hoof, were unknowns, untapped potential. So Rainbow was there to tap that potential.

“Ah, Rainbow, what brings you on this fine day?” Chrysalis called out when Rainbow entered earshot. Rainbow touched down next to the Changeling Queen.

“Well, with all you Changelings coming to town, Ponyville can field a team for the Equestrian Games,” Rainbow explained, “I’ve come to scout for talent for the team.”

“Wouldn’t the Equestrian Games be Pony only?” Chrysalis asked.

“Nope, anyone can participate so long as they’re a citizen of Equestria and has a connection to the town they’re representing. Like me, for example, I could be on Ponyville’s team because I live here, or I could be on Cloudsdale’s team since I was born there and my folks still live there. Since Luna granted you guys full citizenship and you’re technically inside Ponyville’s limits, you all can be part of Ponyville’s team.” Rainbow said with a smile.

“I see…well I can think of a few soldiers off the top of my head that would probably enjoy the competition. However, there is one in particular I’d like you to take under your wing, if you can,” Chrysalis requested.

“Really? Who?” Rainbow asked curiously.

“His name is Pharynx. He’s not a problem child, in the traditional sense. He’s ferociously loyal to me and his hatching brother Thorax, but he’s a bit rough around the edges. If it doesn’t involve training, trying to toughen up his brother, or a direct order, he isn’t interested. Should anyone interrupt any of those three things, he gets angry and aggressive. I’m hoping giving him some harmless fun, something that has an end goal in mind, will help him start to relax a little,” Chrysalis confessed.

Rainbow considered for a minute. Honestly this Pharynx sounded kinda like Gilda. Both had a very narrow view of what was important and got angry when that thing was interrupted. If there was one thing Rainbow considered her greatest failure, it was not chasing down the Griffon and trying to make it right with her. It was her one absolute failing as Loyalty. She had tried to justify it to herself a dozen different ways; she was still new to her Element, Gilda was being an abrasive jerk, Gilda didn’t try hard enough, so on and so forth. Each excuse had rung hollow.

Rainbow Dash might not be as book smart as Twilight or Moon Dancer or heck, even Tom, but she wasn’t dumb. She knew when she was a filly and she had gone to flight school that some of her classmates had come from abusive homes. Some days they’d be just like any other colt or filly and other days they’d be Fire and Brimstone, wanting everyone and everything around them to feel as awful as they did.

Rainbow hadn’t come from an abusive home, far from it. Her parents spent virtually every waking moment letting her know how much they loved her. Outwardly she may claim to hate it, but in her Heart of Hearts, she was more grateful to them than words could express. They also hadn’t raised a blind filly. Rainbow had realized from a young age that if her parents loved her this much, then there must be others who didn’t get as much love.

When Rainbow had met Gilda, she knew the Griffon had been abused. Gilda had been angry, standoffish, and afraid of touch. Never mind the fact that she was a Griffon dumped in a Pegasus flight school. Rainbow foolishly thought that her friendship with Gilda had somehow healed all of the Griffon’s emotional wounds.

Then Gilda came to Ponyville on a Fire and Brimstone day seeking comfort from her best friend and Rainbow had run her out of town for it. Rainbow wanted someone to buck her in the face with a Rainboom every time she thought about it.

Pharynx had been abused too. Not by Chrysalis, Rainbow had only known the Changeling Queen for about a week, but already she knew Chrysalis’ love for her children was deep and true. No, as much as Dash hated to think it, Pharynx had been abused by Celestia. Because of Celestia he had been on the edge of starving to death. Rainbow didn’t know how close to that edge he had come, but anything other than three square meals was too close in Rainbow’s book.

Chrysalis must have tried her best to offset the abuse with her love, and in many cases it had worked, if the happy Changelings she had seen buzzing around Ponyville recently were anything to go by. But if Rainbow were to read between the lines of what Chrysalis had told her about Pharynx, then she could guess he had passed up at least some love to give it to Thorax. He had shut himself away, hardened himself, to give his brother as much of a chance as he could in that bleak circumstance.

But that begged a question, if Chrysalis loved her children so, then why hadn’t she used that love to feed her children? Rainbow would check with Luna or Twilight later, but she had a hunch that Changelings couldn’t feed on the love of other Changelings. That somehow made the tragedy all the greater. A whole ocean’s worth of love, and Chrysalis couldn’t use it to help her children.

Rainbow was getting off topic. Her mind snapped back to the present. She had failed Gilda. She wouldn’t fail Pharynx. It was that simple.

“I’ll do it, I’ll take Pharynx under my wing,” Rainbow finally replied. A full smile bloomed on the face of the Changeling Queen.

“Thank you, Rainbow Dash. This means more to me then I can express. I’ll call him now. Pharynx, come here please!” Chrysalis’ voice barely rose at all, but a Changeling on the other side of the Hive came buzzing towards them. Rainbow took stock of him as he approached. He was shorter than most other Changelings, if Rainbow was any judge, and he looked a little thinner. He wasn’t quite runty looking, but it was a close thing. What really got Rainbow’s attention were the holes on his carapace. They weren’t quite as bad as Chrysalis’ currently were, but he took a solid second place. Even after a week in Ponyville, there was still a lot of work to be done reversing the years of malnutrition. Pharynx landed in front of them and bowed deeply with his eyes closed.

“You summoned me, Mother?” He asked in a raspy, throaty voice. Chrysalis let out a small sigh.

“Really, Pharynx, you don’t have to greet me like that. You are not one of my personal guard and we’re in private besides,” Chrysalis admonished. Pharynx’s purple eyes snapped open, glaring at Rainbow, “Rainbow Dash is a friend. More to the point, until the end of the Equestrian Games, I am appointing her as your superior officer.”

“WHAT?! But-” Pharynx forcibly silenced himself before speaking again, “As you command, Mother.”

“Pharynx, please, I just want you to have a little fun. Who knows, you might enjoy it or even learn something,” Chrysalis said pleadingly.

“Permission to speak freely?” Chrysalis looked pained.

“All my children may always speak their mind to me,” She answered.

“I will not enjoy this exercise in pointlessness and I will not learn anything from this soft pony,” Pharynx spat the last word like a curse. Rainbow took a breath to even out her temper.

“Hey, Chrysalis-”

“That’s QUEEN Chrysalis to you,” Pharynx snarled. Rainbow ignored his outburst.

“What do you say to me making a wager with Pharynx here?”

“Go on,” Chrysalis requested.

“How about me and Pharynx have a race? We’ll fly from Town Hall and back. If I win, Pharynx will listen to me as his commanding officer. If I lose, then Pharynx is free to do whatever he pleases,” Rainbow laid out her plan.

“That sounds acceptable to me. What say you, Pharynx?” Chrysalis asked.

“I won’t lose to some pathetic pony. You’ve already wasted my time; why not waste a little more to prove Changeling superiority?” Pharynx sneered. Rainbow had to resist the urge to smile patronizingly at the arrogant Changeling.

“Very well, the terms are agreed upon. Please line yourselves up to the edge of this platform. On my mark. Three. Two. One. Go!” Chrysalis started the race and Rainbow was off like a shot. Even if she was sure she would win, she wouldn’t take it easy on the Changeling. She needed to make a point. So she barreled through the air at just sub-Rainboom speeds. She had learned not to Rainboom too close to town a long time ago.

Rainbow reached Town Hall and made as sharp a turn as wind resistance would allow and zoomed back the way she came. She even briefly saw the shocked face of Pharynx on her return trip.

A couple of minutes after Rainbow had landed back on the platform, Pharynx completed his lap. As much as Rainbow wanted to gloat, she would control herself.

“You cheated!” Pharynx sounded for the entire world like a petulant child.

“No, I didn’t. Hi, I’m Rainbow Dash, fastest pony alive. The only pony to pull off the Sonic Rainboom in hundreds of years. Also, I’m now your commanding officer. If you don’t like it, then you shouldn’t have agreed to the race,” Rainbow said simply.

“You- I- Mother!”

“I watched the whole race. Rainbow succeeded on her own talents. If Rainbow were truly going all out, you would have lost even harder. You made your bed, Pharynx, now you must lie in it,” Sometimes showing love meant showing tough love. Pharynx fell like a house of cards.

“I understand,” Pharynx murmured.

“Good. Your training starts tomorrow at 8 am. Get a good night’s sleep and as much love as you need, because you’re going to need it. In three day’s time, I will be vetting candidates for the Ponyville team going to the Equestrian Games. You will be among those candidates and you will pass or I’m gonna train you so hard your wings fall off. Am I understood?” Rainbow barked.

“Yes ma’am,” Pharynx responded.

“Good. Dismissed!” Pharynx buzzed away as fast as his wings would carry him.

“I hope we are doing the right thing,” Chrysalis muttered.

“Don’t worry about it. First Pharynx needs to see there’s more than one kind of big fish in the pond. Then we’ll get him to actually respect me. After that, then comes the friend making. It’s foolproof!” Rainbow exclaimed.

“I wish I had your confidence,” Chrysalis said wistfully.

“Not everyone can be Rainbow Dash,” Dash teased playfully. Chrysalis shape shifted into a copy of the chromatic mare.

“I beg to differ,” Chrysalis said with a smirk that looked right at home on Rainbow’s muzzle.

“Oh yeah? I’d like to see you try and Sonic Rainboom, even with my wings,” Rainbow challenged. Chrysalis returned to her natural form.

“I yield. I don’t have your years of experience or training,” Chrysalis gave up.

“At least you know when you’re licked. Anyway, I need to get home. I have to dig out some old manuals for Pharynx’s training tomorrow. See you later, Chrysalis!” Rainbow said as she prepared to take off.

“I will see you later as well,” Chrysalis agreed and Rainbow flew off to her home. The future was still uncertain, but it would be better than the past.

Author's Note:

I hadn't really intended to bring Pharynx and eventually Thorax into the story, but the idea was too juicy to pass up, both in terms of getting the perspective of two """Average""" Changelings and as a chance to explore some of Rainbow Dash's character.