• ...
53
 866
 10,784

Reunion

A Human, a Pony Princess, and a Mistake

Chapter 9: Reunion

“Luna,” If Chrysalis’ voice was a bit cold, Luna didn’t notice, “What are you-”

Luna burst forward, wrapping her old friend in a bear hug. The feeling of Chrysalis’ chitinous carapace affirming to Luna that her friend was, in fact, real. The moon goddess was on the verge of tears. She never wanted to let go of Chrysalis again.

“What the blazes are you doing?!” Chrysalis shouted. Luna pulled away just far enough to look the Changeling Queen in the eyes.

“It’s called a ‘hug’, Chrissy. Surely neither of us have been gone long enough to forget what a hug is,” Luna teased. She pulled Chrysalis close again, “I thought you were dead.”

“You thought I was dead? What do you mean ‘neither of us have been gone long enough’? Hold on a moment, I must be missing something,” Chrysalis was baffled and her voice betrayed that fact. Luna reluctantly let Chrysalis go and explained everything. Celestia’s sealing the Changelings, her lie to Luna, her banishment of Luna to the moon, and her deception in the wake of the wedding.

“That lying, conniving, backstabbing BITCH!” Chrysalis roared at the end of Luna’s tale.

“Believe me, Chrissy, I am just as mad at my sister as you are. That can wait, however. I can see your trembling isn’t entirely from rage. Here, eat,” Luna softly ordered, sending a stream of Love infused magic from her horn. Chrysalis turned it away.

“I must feed my children first,” Chrysalis said softly. Luna wanted to argue, to point out that if Chrysalis wasted away of starvation, her children would be lost without her leadership. But Luna was familiar enough with Chrysalis to know she would be stubborn about it to the end.

“Then summon them all here. I will feed the whole Hive if I must,” Luna said resolutely.

“Absolutely not, even for an Alicorn that is too much, Lulu,” Chrysalis protested.

“You underestimate the strength of my will. I won’t be able to move my moon tonight if I do so, that much is true. However, I had foreseen this possibility and left those in Equestria with the knowledge to move my moon for me if it was so needed. Please, summon your children here so that they, and you, may have a full belly, at least for tonight,” Luna pleaded.

“I can see I won’t be able to dissuade you…very well,” Over the course of the next minute, several hundred Changelings made their way into the throne room at their Queen’s request. Once all were gathered, Luna opened up her considerable font of magic, passed it through a filter of Love for the Changeling Queen and her people, and sent it out towards the waiting Changelings.

Greedily, all Changelings present supped of Luna’s Love. One by one, each Changeling had their fill for the first time in living memory and one by one they each slipped into sleep. When all were filled and all were asleep, save Chrysalis, Luna closed her Font. It was nearly empty and a lesser being would be laid out for magical exhaustion. As it was, Luna was more exhausted than she could remember being since being purged of the Nightmare.

“Stars, I had forgotten what it was like to not be hungry. Thank you, Lulu. Once again, you have proven yourself a true friend. I must find a way to repay you one day,” Chrysalis said gratefully.

“If you must repay me, then tell me of your failed assault on my adoptive niece’s wedding,” Luna requested as she lay down. Chrysalis cringed.

“That was not my finest hour.”

“I had gathered as much, but I want to hear it all from the source,” Luna replied.

“Very well…the seal Celestia placed on us had only broken a few weeks before. We were still acclimating to the modern world and I was half crazed from starvation. When I heard a new Alicorn had appeared, an Alicorn of Love no less, I knew I had to have her. Surely an Alicorn of Love could more than feed the entire Hive, I thought,” Chrysalis regaled.

“But-”

“Yes, I know, Love must be for something. Love for home and hearth, Love for family, Love for a mate, and so on. Unless we somehow incited Stockholm syndrome in Cadence, she would no doubt have very little Love to share with us. In any case, my fevered mind decided that a wedding for said Alicorn would be a feast for myself and my children. So I personally kidnapped Cadence, hid her in the old mines under Canterlot, and took her place.”

“And the note warning Celestia that someone would attack the wedding?” Luna asked.

“I thought that it would draw ponies closer to their loved ones. Surprisingly, that was the only part of that mad plan that actually worked. We were only able to harvest precious little Love from the ponies huddling with their loved ones, but any little bit was better than none. Anyway, as I pretended to be Cadence, I ran afoul of the Bearers of Harmony and Twilight Sparkle in particular. I had ignored even the most basic step of infiltration: knowing the one you imitated. By some miracle, I was able to keep it together long enough to actually get to the wedding ceremony. That was where my plan completely lost the plot,” Chrysalis chuckled ruefully.

“Sending the whole of the Swarm at Captain Armor’s shield spell?” Luna asked.

“Yes. Forget quietly whisking away Shining and Cadence during their honeymoon! Why have two lovebirds in my clutches producing a small but steady stream of Love for each other when I could send all of Canterlot into fear and anger! Progenitor, I still don’t remember what possessed me to think that was a good idea. I’m actually thankful to the two of them for that Love shield they produced. It sent enough of a shock to my system that I snapped out of my insanity. I painted myself as a perfect evil villain. Since then I’ve had my children mostly remain in the Hive or to the civilizations south of us. No need to risk Celestia resealing us, I figured,” Chrysalis confessed.

“Yes, according to my sister, seeing you again gave her quite the surprise,” Luna confided.

“Good!” Chrysalis exclaimed, “I’d like to shock her for real next time!”

“I think I have an idea for just that,” Luna grinned conspiratorially.

“Oh? Do tell, Lulu,” Chrysalis requested.

“Come with me to Ponyville!” Luna offered.

“Where the Bearers all live? Ha-ha, no thank you,” Chrysalis rejected the idea.

“The Bearers are all aware of my sister’s deceptions. They would welcome you with open arms,” Luna cajoled.

“Even if the Bearers accept me, what of the rest of Ponyville?” Chrysalis asked.

“They are an adaptable lot. They may be wary of you and your children for a time, but I am confident they will ultimately accept you,” Luna replied. Chrysalis turned the offer over in her head.

“I…suppose we could do worse than setting up in Ponyville. However, you have to promise to run interference with Cadence and Shining if those two come for my head,” Chrysalis nearly begged, but Queens do not beg.

“I will be living in Ponyville for a while. I don’t think I shall be able to stomach being in near contact with my sister for some decades at least. If Cadence and Armor come after you, they shall have to quite literally go through me first,” Luna promised.

“Good. Then I suppose I should tell my children to begin getting ready once they all wake up. Should we teleport ahead or arrive with the Swarm, do you think?” Chrysalis pondered.

“Teleport ahead. We don’t want to cause any undue panic by suddenly turning up with the entire Swarm and no warning,” Luna counseled.

“Yes, that’s probably wise,” Chrysalis agreed.

“Also, before we arrive in Ponyville, you should probably know that Twilight was experimenting with some of my old spells about a month ago. The results being that she is now trapped in her own head and another Soul, named Tom, is in control. Tom has proven to be a mostly affable sort, but I thought it best for you to know ahead of time anyway,” Luna explained.

“That is…interesting,” Chrysalis said honestly. What else could be said about the situation before she met the pair and could examine the results of Twilight’s experimentation herself? Luna let out a yawn. It was contagious and Chrysalis yawned soon after.

“What say you to following your children’s lead and turning in for the night?” Luna asked drowsily.

“That sounds excellent. Good night, Lulu,” Chrysalis bid as she lay down to sleep. The cold stone of the floor of the throne room did little to deter her as her full stomach kept her warm.

“Good night, Chrissy,” Luna returned and soon both old friends were fast asleep.

Author's Note:

As much as I love the 'master spy race' trope for Changelings, such information network building takes time. Time I have not given this version of the Changelings.

This was a bit of a slower, shorter chapter, but it filled its purpose. Now just about every piece is in place for the rest of the story.

I should probably note that this story will only cover till the end of season 4. After which the sequel will take over. Twilight and Tom's little problem will be resolved as the finale of this story. Make of that what you will.