• ...
53
 867
 10,793

A Kindness for a Kindness

A Human, a Pony Princess, and a Mistake

Chapter 12: A Kindness for a Kindness

Fluttershy looked up at the sky from her spot by the lake. It had been a few days since Rainbow had taken Pharynx and Dashie was in the middle of vetting Pegasai and Changelings for the upcoming Equestrian Games. Somehow her friend had convinced Fluttershy that she was worthy to be on the team, citing her flying performance back when Discord had originally broken free of his petrification and again when she had helped harvest rainwater from the very lake she was sitting at.

Fluttershy knew Rainbow meant well and she certainly wasn’t as afraid of public events as she had once been, but Fluttershy was almost certain that someone else would be a better candidate.

Normally Fluttershy would’ve talked something like this over with Rarity, but the ivory Unicorn was extremely busy preparing for Fashion Week in Manehatten. Fluttershy had offered to help, of course, but Rarity had insisted that she would not burden her friends overmuch except in emergency. Even if Fluttershy didn’t think doing something as small as making sure all the stitching was done correctly was a burden…

Actually, come to think of it, Fluttershy hadn’t really seen any of the Elements sans Rainbow for nearly a week. Rarity had locked herself in her boutique, Twilight was with Tom shut away in her library, Pinkie had said something about going home to visit family, and Applejack was finishing the seasonal harvest in preparation of going to Manehatten with Rarity next week.

All in all, it left Fluttershy feeling slightly lonely. She knew she shouldn’t feel that way with all her animal friends around, but sometimes even an introvert longed for the companionship of her peers.

“Hello, do you mind if I sit here?” Fluttershy turned to see a Changeling. She hadn’t learned to recognize them by sight or sound yet, except Chrysalis. Honestly she felt a little bit bad about that.

“Of course not, feel free to sit wherever you like,” Fluttershy said gently.

“Thank you. I’m Thorax,” The Changeling introduced himself.

“Oh, Pharynx’s brother!” Fluttershy exclaimed in recognition.

“I’m flattered that the Element of Kindness knows of me,” Thorax said humbly, “I’m here to watch my brother.”

“Pharynx has been doing well. I think he really wants to impress Rainbow,” Fluttershy reported. Thorax let out a thoughtful ‘hmm’.

“I don’t know if he wants to necessarily impress Loyalty,” Thorax didn’t elaborate more than that and Fluttershy didn’t push him for answers, “So, what brings you here, Fluttershy?”

“Rainbow wants me on the team. I just don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” Fluttershy confided. For some reason, she found Thorax easy to talk to.

“I’m sure she just wants what’s best for you. My brother is much the same with me, even if he hasn’t yet realized I’m not a grub anymore and we’re no longer alone in the world,” If Thorax was at all bitter about it, he hid it well.

“Even if it is what’s best for me, I don’t want to be a detriment to the team. I’m sure Ponyville as a whole is looking forward to having their very own team in the Games. I just know I’ll hold them back,” Fluttershy worried.

“This might be presumptuous of me to say, but I don’t think Rainbow Dash would try and get you involved in this if she didn’t think you were the best one for the job. She probably knows how you feel, after all. Even if she doesn’t know, then you should talk to her about it. Worrying about it on the sidelines until it all explodes in your faces won’t do any good,” Thorax said in a subdued voice.

Fluttershy was suddenly reminded of the time she had agreed to be a model. She and Rarity hadn’t talked it out until it had almost ruined their friendship. Fluttershy didn’t want that to happen again.

“I think you’re right, Thorax. I have to talk to Rainbow. Thank you,” Fluttershy thanked the Changeling before flying up to Rainbow, “Rainbow, can I have a moment, please?”

“Sure thing, Flutters, just a sec,” Rainbow turned to her recruits, “Two laps around the lake to cool off. I think I have what I need, so I’ll tell you if you made the cut tomorrow.”

The gathered Pegasai seemed exhausted, but grateful to be free as they slowly made their way around the lake. Fluttershy and Rainbow moved to a shady tree to talk in private.

“So, what’s up Fluttershy?” Rainbow asked. Fluttershy took a moment to gather her thoughts before speaking.

“I’m afraid you’re just putting me on the team because we’re friends and I don’t want that, because I know I’m not as good as Cloud Kicker, or Blossomforth, or Thunderlane, or even Derpy. I’d just bring the team down,” Fluttershy confessed.

“Well, yeah, you being my friend is part of the reason I picked you,” Rainbow said honestly and Fluttershy’s heart dropped, “But, it’s because I’m your friend that I know just how much potential you have. You may not be as fast as me, face it, who is? But so what? You proved to be one of the most steady fliers I know when you put your mind to it. That can’t be underestimated when some of the events include long distance flying and endurance. Am I hoping it’ll give you a confidence boost? Yes. Am I doing it at the detriment of the team? Absolutely not. I have faith in you Flutters. I’m sure I could think of some other way to help your confidence if I really wanted to. The fact that you’re one of the best I can think of for the team is why you’re on it, not some plot to raise your self-esteem, even if it is a nice side effect.”

“Oh, Dashie!” Fluttershy was overcome with emotion, so she did the only thing she could think of, wrapping her oldest friend in a hug.

“I didn’t realize it was eating at you so much, sorry about that,” Rainbow apologized.

“I’m just glad we were able to talk about it before something silly happened,” Fluttershy felt as if a massive weight had been taken from her shoulders.

“Knowing our luck, it would have been something wildly out of proportion and we’d try to fix it without the other knowing and only making it worse,” Rainbow joked.

“Ending with the team being disqualified or something,” Fluttershy agreed, “So, who is going to be on the team besides me?”

“I’m gonna sleep on it, but I’m pretty sure I’m gonna stick with Cloud Kicker, Pharynx, Derpy, me, you, and Pincer,” Rainbow answered.

“Pincer?” Fluttershy was unfamiliar with that name.

“I don’t think that’s his real name and he’s a Changeling. It’s just every Changeling I’ve heard talking to him calls him Pincer. Might have to ask Chrysalis, the team registration requires full, real names.”

“I wouldn’t think you’d let Derpy on the team,” Fluttershy noted.

“She may be a one pony disaster area, but damn if she can’t turn on a dime. She’ll be perfect for the acrobatic events,” Rainbow answered confidently.

“Well, I look forward to working with all of you,” And to her own surprise, Fluttershy meant it.

Author's Note:

I'm actually finding these little character snippets to be quite enjoyable to write. So much so, I've been inspired to add an extra one next chapter between Raven Inkwell and Celestia.

I'm afraid I've been giving Celestia a bit of a bad wrap. Bare in mind that the all we've seen of the conflict is from the perspective of Luna, Chrysalis, and Tom. All three of them have reason to be upset with Celestia, even if they are being slightly uncharitable. We also haven't heard Twilight's opinion directly from her, only inferences of others.

I don't see Celestia as a villain in any stretch. Sure, I enjoy the occasional evil Dumbledore...I mean, evil Celestia, but I mostly see her as someone drowning in regrets and sometimes overcompensating, either by being too controlling (as with Sunset) or being a bit of a troll (as with the Philomena incident).

Anyway, after Celestia's and Raven's little heart to heart, we move on to Manehatten and Fashion Week. What will change, what will stay the same? Find out soon!