• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,246 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,246

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8 - Working and paying off the debt

Author's Note:

Happy 10th anniversary My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! :pinkiehappy: I thought I'd post this chapter today because of Mystic going to Sweet Apple Acres reminded me of Twilight going there during her first time in Ponyville in the first episode.

I hope you will enjoy and MLP had an amazing run! :pinkiehappy: I learned about the show in 2014 after Season 4 finished airing and I'm so incredibly blessed to have learned about it! :pinkiehappy:

Also, to celebrate even more I included some images done by AndoAnimalia and EmeraldBlast63!

Two amazing artists and I recommend you check them out!

Onto the chapter! :twilightsmile:


The walk to Sweet Apple Acres was filled with sounds of birds chirping and other critters scurrying around. Apple trees surrounded both mares and the scent of apples once again hit Mystic’s nostrils.

They haven’t spoken since they’d left Twilight’s castle. Some ponies had looked at Mystic and recognized her as the pony the Mane Six had questioned, even though they didn’t trust her, none of them approached as Applejack is with her. Mystic knew the apple farmer had a watchful eye over her.

The unicorn couldn’t help but be frustrated as Twilight took her weapons from her but thankfully let her keep her satchel which Mystic has secured around her shoulders.

“If I had known I was going to do some repairs around a village, I would’ve chosen to stay in the wheelchair,” Mystic suddenly said, then muttered, “As embarrassing as that was.” She looked at her healed foreleg, again mentally cursing that spell maker Twilight spoke of earlier.

“You were bound to get healed sometime,” replied Applejack.

“Gee, thanks for the reminder,” Mystic rolled her eyes.

“Now,” said Applejack, “When we get here, Ah don’t want you causing a ruckus, and don’t do anything to harm ma family.” She glared deep at Mystic, “Because if you do...” Applejack snorted.

Mystic rolled her eyes again, “Thanks for the threat.”

“It weren’t a threat, it was a warning.”

“Whatever.”

“Ah have a big brother an’ he’ll help me watch ya and make sure you help out around the farm.”

“The big red stallion? We’ve met.”

“Okay then,” said Applejack as they came to a curve in the road, “Ah love sellin’ my apples an’ ponies enjoyin’em but you have to pay for the ones you took and smashed when you threw Rainbow into ma orchard.”

“She deserved it,” Mystic stated.

“An’ I want you to try to refrain yerself from doing any more to her,” Applejack looked at Mystic again, “She may not, but Ah expect better from you from now on.”

“Sure thing, captain,” Mystic said sarcastically.

The entrance to Sweet Apple Acres came into view, Mystic saw the big red barn in the distance as well as other buildings surrounding it.

“Do you ponies always watch over your guests? Because I seem to be monitored like a five-year-old,” said Mystic.

“Ya know why we’re watchin’ ya,” Applejack said with a glare.

“Look, about your rainbow friend, I could’ve pulled my machete out while I fought her, but I didn’t, and I could’ve pulled out my knives too, but I didn’t.”

That silenced the farmer, giving Mystic a moment’s peace.

“All right,” Applejack suddenly said, “Well, we’re here.”

When they entered the farm, Mystic saw the little yellow filly milking a cow, and an elderly pony carrying some mixed fruit over to a few other elderly ponies. One of them looked to have a few cats in her bags.

“Now, to show ya where yer room is,” said Applejack.

“My room?” Mystic asked a little confused.

“Yes, if yer gonna pay off yer loan, yer gonna stay here.”

“Oh brother,” Mystic groaned.

“We usually get up just before sunrise, have breakfast and then head out,” Applejack explained, opening the door and allowing Mystic into the farmhouse, “We’ll work ‘til lunch, have that and do some chores around the farm until supper time and then bedtime.”

“Wow, a nice schedule, whoop de doodle,” Mystic muttered.

“It’s how we do things ‘round here, and there’s a strict no magic rule around on our farm here,” Applejack added in a serious tone. Mystic said nothing as she followed Applejack up the stairs and down the hallway. She walked to the end of it and opened the last door to the right.

“This here is the guest room,” she said, cracking the door open, “You’ll be staying here. Ma room is the one right across from it, an’ the baths are to the left of ma room.”

“What about the others?”

“Those are ma family’s rooms, and yer to stay out of them while yer here.”

“Fine.”

Applejack nodded, “You got all that Ah’ve told you?” Mystic nodded and just looked at the wall.

“Okay, let’s get outside and get a delivery to town, then you can begin workin’,” said Applejack, Mystic’s eyes widened a little.

“Wait, we came here for a delivery?” she asked.

“Yes, it was good timin’ if ya ask me,” said Applejack, “Ah was gonna deliver some apple treats to Sugarcube Corner for a sale they’re havin’ an Ah think you can deliver and start fixing up the place.”

Mystic began to protest, “But I’m all filthy! Shouldn’t I take a bath first?” She pointed to the bathroom.

“You’ll be gettin’ sweaty as soon as ya begin workin’ and it wouldn’t be much point in takin’ a bath now,” Applejack pointed out. “Ah’ll place yer satchel in your room, then we’ll head out.”

Mystic sighed and groaned before lowering her head. She took her satchel off and Applejack grabbed it, walked into the guest room and placed it on the floor. She came back out and walked past her.

“Come on, Big Mac’s gettin’ the cart ready now.”

“Coming,” Mystic droned before slowly walking after Applejack.


Mystic saw the red muscular stallion load the last of the apple treats onto the sweets cart. Mystic’s stomach churned at the sight of how many apple-products there were; pies, caramel apples, apple betties, dumplings, fritter, crisps, cider cookies, cobbler, and an applesauce cake.

“Hey, Big Mac!” Applejack greeted, “Everythin’ loaded?”

“Eeyup,” the stallion replied with a smile.

“Good, because we’ve got a new worker ‘round here as you might’ve heard,” Applejack presented Mystic, the unicorn’s head still low and had an annoyed look.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac affirmed, his smile dropping a little bit.

“Please direct her and take her to Sugarcube Corner, then she can start workin’ on repairing Ponyville.”

“Eeyup.”

“Good, now Ah’m off to harvest some more apples.”

Applejack trotted off to a few trees with apple buckets underneath them. Mystic looked around at the hundreds of apple trees and it hit her on how many there really were.

“We have to harvest all these?” she asked.

“Eeyup,” replied Big Mac, as he motioned his head to the harness for Mystic.

Mystic groaned again and stepped in front of the harness, Big Mac opened the harness and strapped it around Mystic. With a nod, he began walking back to Ponyville, Mystic walked off with him, pulling the cart of food along.

“Careful,” he warned as they exited the farm. Mystic just kept walking, wanting to get this over with.

As they walked, nopony spoke a word, but all the while Big Mac had a small smile on his face, enjoying the day. Mystic just felt bitter. She looked around at all the apple trees.

“That’s a lot of apples,” she said, mostly to herself.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac replied, having heard her mumble.

“Uh...and they taste good I bet?”

“Eeyup.”

Mystic paused as they rounded the curve that she and Applejack did earlier.

“You live here your whole life?”

“Eeyup.”

Mystic felt a little annoyed that he was repeating the same word.

“Is that what you say most of the time?”

“Eenope.”

Mystic paused again. This pony clearly seemed committed to his lifestyle as a farmer and loved apples. Then again, ponies like him seem to always be into their lifestyle.

“Well, don’t expect me to harvest all those apples,” she said, looking around, “I bet if somepony tried to harvest them all alone, they’d be a real idiot.”

Big Mac let out a laugh.

“What’s so funny?” she asked.

“N-Nothing,” he replied, chuckling, “It’s just this one year when Ah got injured, ma sister tried to harvest the entire orchard all alone.”

“What?” Mystic asked, a little surprised.

“Eeyup, and she wouldn’t stop fer nothing! It took a might convincing from Twilight to get’er to allow her friends to help.”

“How much convincing?”

Big Mac chuckled “A lot!”

“Huh...” Mystic paused. How crazy do ponies get in this town?!

Both didn’t speak anymore as they walked into Ponyville. It was pretty much the same route Mystic traveled with Applejack from the Castle, but Mystic didn’t pay anypony mind because she just wanted to get these sweets delivered, get to work and then get out of town so she can pay it off and leave.

Soon, they arrived at Sugarcube Corner. Mystic recognized the building from when she and Fluttershy traveled to the market earlier. It looks more like a gingerbread house up close than when further away, Mystic’s nostrils were hit with a strong scent of sweet treats inside the shop. Freshly bakes, too if she had to guess. Stopping in front of the shop, Big Mac undid the harness around Mystic.

The doors to Sugarcube opened, revealing a blue earth pony with a pinkish-red swirling mane and tail, she had three cupcakes as a cutie mark.

“Oh, Big Mac! You got them delivered!” she said excitedly.

“Eeyup,” he said, “But Ah directed our new helper today.”

The blue earth pony looked confused but she saw Mystic looking up at her.

“Oh! I’m sorry dearie, I didn’t see you,” she said apologetically. Mystic just breathed in and out. “I’m Mrs. Cake and I thank you for bringing these treats, I can’t wait for ponies to come in and get’em!”

“Whatever,” Mystic replied.

“Anyway, would you like something?”

Mystic paused, but frowned, “No. I’m not much of a sweet eater.”

Mrs. Cake’s smile didn’t dwindle. “Okay, well if you change your mind, you know where to find us!”

Big Mac motioned for Mrs. Cake, the mare paused and went down to him and he whispered into her ear, asking her something. Mrs. Cake smiled and pulled back.

“She’ll be here tomorrow,” she said, “She’s looking forward to seeing you.”

Big Mac chuckled awkwardly and blushed.

Mystic quickly got the gist. Oh boy, got a lover here.

“I gotta get’er to clean up,” said Big Mac, “Ah’ll see ya later.”

“Okay, have a sweet day!” Mrs. Cake cheered.

With that, Big Mac walked back over to Mystic and nodded. Mystic followed him as he took her to the southern part of town.


As Pound and Pumpkin played with their toys, Mrs. Cake trotted to the kitchen’s entrance, she opened the door.

“Carrot! The apple treats are out in front!” she called.

“Okay dear! I’ll go get them!” Mr. Cake’s voice called back.

Nodding, Mrs. Cake turned around, humming a little tune to herself as she got back behind the counter, waiting for some more customers. She smiled as her two-year-old babies played with one another. It has been a bit of a slow morning, and that meant the babies playing a little more in the main room. Mr. Cake came out of the kitchen to get the cart, he’s covered in flour due to the baking he’s been doing, and when he headed out, Pinkie hopped down from upstairs, looking bubbly and happy as always.

“Hey Mrs. Cake!” she said happily, “I’m done bathing Gummy!”

“Already?” Mrs. Cake asked with a knowing grin.

“Yepperooni!” Pinkie cheered, “He just loves taking baths!”

“I can only imagine,” Mrs. Cake muttered to herself.

“Anywho, I could’ve sworn I heard additional voices down here, who was here?” Pinkie asked, pulling a cookie out of her mane.

“Oh, it was Big Mac with the usual apple delivery,” Mrs. Cake replied, looking down at the sweets in the display, making sure they’re all in order.

“I thought I heard another voice too, but she one word and one sentence,” Pinkie cocked her head in wonder.

“Oh, her, it was the pony Big Mac was escorting.”

Pinkie’s eyes slightly widened, “Was she orange with a black mane? Black clothing covered in produce juices?”

Mrs. Cake gave Pinkie an odd look, “Uh, yes. That was her.” She scratched her head. “Wait, she was covered in what now?”

“Oh my gosh, that was Mystic!” Pinkie gasped, “And I missed out on meeting her officially!”

“What?”

“I need to meet her and get to know her officially!” Pinkie went on, “And I need to find the perfect time to throw her a ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ party!”

“Pinkie?”

“Considering all the bad stuff going on, I haven’t had a chance!”

“Pinkie.”

“I think I’ll go right now to her and welcome her officially!”

“Pinkie!” Mrs. Cake shouted, causing the pink excitable mare to freeze before she jumped outside.

She looked at her employer.

Mrs. Cake cleared her throat. “Pinkie, I don’t think you should bother her or Big Mac right now, clearly they need to settle things. And don’t you have some baking to do here as well?”

Pinkie gasped and realized, “Oh, my gosh! I almost forgot! You’re right!”

“Just wait a while, maybe later in the day and you can go speak to her, okay?”

Pinkie nodded vigorously, “Okay!” Then, she smelt something. She turned her head to see that it was coming from Pound and Pumpkin. Dirty diapers.

“Oh, candy corn...” she said, “I’ve got to change them.” She turned to Mrs. Cake, “I’ve got this.” With that, Pinkie hopped over to the two twins, picked them up and walked upstairs to change them, thinking about her future meeting with Mystic. Mrs. Cake smiled as she saw a couple of ponies walking in to order their sweets.


The young unicorn had to straighten up the displays that have been knocked over during her fight and arrange the jewels in the exact way the shopkeeper told her to. Some were still broken so some new ones will be coming in a couple of days. Now, Mystic is sweeping up the broken glass.

“Just fantastic, I had to come across the lion and have him try to frame me for all the damage,” she muttered to herself.

She wasn’t allowed to pick it up with her magic as told by the owner of the shop, and to use her hooves to sweep and place the glass in the dustpan. Big Mac has left her to do her job and soon she’ll be going around the town fixing up stands, cleaning up broken wood and the expensive oats from Ponyville.

On top of that, she has to deliver produce to the ponies who lost some, and to that accursed cherry vendor which got out, too. Mystic did not like that pony and not just because of what he did to Fluttershy, but because was a waste of space.

Mystic continued to work and swept quite a bit of glass into the dustpan before picking it up with her hoof and dumping it into the garbage can. It wouldn’t be so bad if the shop owner hadn’t been running her mouth pretty much the whole time she’s been here.

“And that pegasus lied about me doing all this? She’s a real pain,” she muttered, sweeping up some more glass.

“I want this place spotless,” the shop owner said, “Make it look as if the window never shattered.”

Mystic ignored her but continued to work. It wasn’t exactly easy cleaning up the glass but she pushed through, wanting to get out of this and keep those ponies off her back.

“Do you know how much these jewels and gems cost?” the shop owner asked, “Some may be common but there are some that are very rare and you almost took one of them!”

“Play it cool, Mystic, play it cool,” she told herself, growing agitated.

“Just look at how much glass is here on the floor! I didn’t need such a problem when it's getting to be prime jewel season!” the shop owner went on as Mystic cleaned up some more glass.

“And did you miss a spot? I told you--”

Mystic growled, turned and glared, “Oh, I’m sorry, I’m just trying to work here!”

“Don’t you talk to me that way!”

“Likewise with you! Can’t you shut up or do I have to place a jewel where your mouth is?!”

“Why you little!” the shop owner growled.

“What?! A nuisance?! A thief? I’ve just been listening to you rant!” she turned back to the shattered glass, “In fact...” She lit up her horn and picked up the glass. “I don’t have to listen to you. You’re just a loudmouth like that rainbow maned pegasus is!”

“Stop that at once!”

“No, I will clean this up, but I will do it...” Mystic turned and glared, “My way.”

The shop owner could do nothing as Mystic picked up all of the glass and placed it all in the garbage can. She went outside and picked it all up from there and placed it into the can as well. She tied the bag up with her magic and slung it over her shoulder.

“You know that Big Mac said to do what I tell you!” the shop owner said.

“I don’t care what he said or what you say! The stupid floor and outside are clean now, and it got done more effectively!” Mystic retorted.

“I will make sure the Apple family knows of this!”

“And I officially don’t care!”

Mystic turned and walked out the door and slammed it behind her, her patience was boiling past her limit with having to clean up and she didn’t need to continue listening to that mare going on and on. She’s a nitwit.

Mystic trotted over to the dumpster and threw the bag into it, and it landed with a slight boom with more glass inside shattering. Huffing, Mystic pulled out the list on what to do next. Seeing the cherry vendor next on the list, Mystic sighed before rolling up the list and looking around for the cherry cart. Fortunately, it wasn’t too far, it was about one hundred feet away.

“Let’s get this over with,” she muttered, not wanting to see the cherry vendor again. She hated to see that useless pony again, but knowing what an alicorn is capable of because of her studies and her friends, she's got to push through.

Creatures this day and age want you to do what you're told, and as she's learned, the sooner you get your jobs done, the sooner you can be free and get your own objectives done. It's a process, but it's worked on multiple occasions.

As Mystic went to gather the cart, an idea came to her mind. Maybe, if she does the job and makes it look like the cherry vendor tripped or something, it’d be on him in everypony else’s eyes. Smirking deviously to herself, Mystic decides to pull that off, she won’t let him have the last laugh over her.

Now with the cart secured, Mystic began trotting off to the marketplace again. Ponies looked at her, some scowled while some watched her with wariness.

Mystic could hear some whispering.

“Is that the pony that fought Rainbow Dash?”

“Shouldn’t she be elsewhere other than here?”

“Is she dangerous?”

However, Mystic wasn’t deterred from her objective and it wasn’t as if she weren’t used to ponies looking at her like that.

She arrived at the cherry vendor, catching a brief glimpse of the vendor glaring at her.

Smirking, Mystic went around the stand and brought the cart with the new barrels, she stopped and magically lifted a couple up.

Looking at the ground, Mystic sent a slither of magic out to a little spot where she thinks the vendor will step at one point. Speaking of which, the vendor came out, still glaring.

“Place them down about where you are,” he growled. “I don’t want these cherries ruined after your behavior yesterday.”

Look who’s talking, Mystic thought, placing the barrels nearby.

“You can’t just barge towards my stand and treat me like that,” he went on as Mystic grabbed more barrels, when she turned around, he is right in front of her.

“You’re pathetic and should learn some manners around real stallions,” he pushed on her, but she barely moved, the barrels shook in her grasp.

“Be careful with those!” he barked. Mystic wanted to say something in return, but she held her tongue, seeing a small glimmer of magic on the ground and then vanish. Swallowing her frustration, she just put the two barrels down.

“You thought you could get away from this,” the vendor stated, “Well, know this, you might’ve thought you were intimidating, but don’t cross me again or I’ll make you feel real pain.”

Mystic scoffed on the inside, she owned him last time, who does this loser think he is? Placing the last barrel down, Mystic began to turn around.

“Give my regards to that wimpy pegasus,” the vendor finally said before Mystic just trotted off, she growled to herself, despising him.

As she continues to trot, she looked back to see the cherry vendor went over to his barrels to look at his freshly ordered cherries. Then, he began to stumble. A smile broke out onto Mystic’s face as she got further away.

“Oh no!” she heard the vendor shout.

She heard crashing sounds in the distance. “Noooooooooooooooooooooo!”

Mystic began to snicker. It took all of her strength not to burst out laughing right then and there. Justice had been delivered.


For the next several hours, Mystic went around town cleaning up. The wooden barrels’ remains were thrown away, she magically fixed up a few stands, scrubbed remains of produce off the walls of a house, cleaned up the oats from Appleloosa and delivered them to their destination. Fortunately, they weren’t too scattered from where they’d been. Next, Mystic had to pick up the produce that surrounded her when she woke up by hoof instead of using her magic.

The mayor swung by to make sure she was doing her work and Mystic hoped she was pleased that she was complying with what she’d been tasked.

The mayor did request that Mystic would deliver supplies to the spa, the furniture store, and to her office as well. Mystic, just wanting to keep everypony out of her mane, and clear her loan, obliged and did all of them. Everything but the furniture store didn’t take too long, and there were a couple of couches, chairs, tables, and stools that needed to be delivered. So that took the most out of her day already. She’s mostly done with her work in repairing the town, but she did stop for a quick banana for lunch before getting back to it.

Next, Mystic went to go help the Flower ponies re-plant their flowers that had been ruined, and they were very panicky when she didn’t do something right which was only a few times, but it got on her nerves a lot. Mystic did catch Rainbow monitoring her and glared at the despicable pegasus.

“There! Got it!” she said, hammering the last nail into the cinnamon nut cart.

“Yeah!” Bulk shouted happily, “Thank you!”

“Sure.”

Mystic turned to leave, but Bulk called out, “Do you want some cinnamon nuts?”

“No, I’m good.”

“Awww, well maybe another time!” he said before wheeling it away to the center of town. Mystic only kept walking, as she did, she noticed her clothes are dirtier than what they were before and her muscles slightly ached from lifting the weights, and all the work she did in a fast manner, just trying to get the work over with.

“Hey there,” a familiar voice said. Mystic turned and saw Mayor Mare smiling a bit.

“Yes?” Mystic asked.

“I’m very impressed,” she said, “I’ve not seen any unicorns with your kind of strength and stamina. You got your work done faster than I thought you would.”

“I’ve got quite a bit of muscle, don’t I?” Mystic slightly boasted, flexing one of her forelegs.

“Yes, yes you do,” Mayor Mare smiled wider, “I just wanted to congratulate you on a fast and well-done job. Now, head over to Sweet Apple Acres, please.”

Mystic only nodded and began trotting while the Mayor called out, “And be sure to clean up a bit before heading to bed.”


Mystic felt relief wash over her, now finished with the chores around town. The walk back to Sweet Apple Acres had been uneventful, she didn’t see anypony looking at her like they were earlier. It was now the middle of the afternoon and it’s going to get closer for ponies having supper soon.

She saw Applejack carrying a bushel of apples in one of its buckets back to the barn as she made her way back. She saw Apple Bloom tidying up her bow. The filly saw Mystic and waved at her. Mystic only nodded in return. When Mystic arrived at the barn, Applejack came out, wiping the sweat off her brow before closing the door.

“I’m finished,” Mystic said simply.

Applejack turned and her eyes widened a little, “Yer done already?”

“Yes, and I guess I didn’t assume ponies would give me extra work to do delivering stuff after cleaning most of the town,” Mystic stretched a bit.

“Still, Ah am surprised... wait, did you do it right?” Applejack’s eyes narrowed a little.

“I did.”

Applejack’s eyes narrowed a little more. Mystic got the vibe that she’s examining her. Then, Applejack sighed, “Well, good job then.”

“Apparently the mayor has taken a liking to me,” said Mystic, stretching her hind legs.

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Well, Ah’m glad of that. Now, we would get started with applebucking but...” Applejack narrowed her eyes again, “I heard something from the jewelry shop.”

“Oh, that? Did she tell you? What a snot,” Mystic scoffed.

“You didn’t do what Big Mac told you didja?”

Mystic glared, “Hey, she was yapping at me the whole time I was there!”

“Still, you shoulda done what she told ya! Which is what ma brother told ya to do!”

“Well, nopony like that shopkeeper gets to own me like that!”

“It don’t matter if she were like that or not! You shoulda pushed through!”

“And what are you going to do about it, huh?” Mystic challenged.

Applejack only gave her a smile.


Mystic had dug holes for five different apple trees that Applejack needs planted, and she has had to dig them earth pony style. No magic allowed. Mystic grunted as she tore deeper into the earth with a shovel, flinging it backward at Applejack, but the farmer dodged it.

“Nice try,” she said.

Mystic just rolled her eyes as she continued to work.

“After this Ah want ya to plow the fields and then we’ll have you applebucking,” said Applejack.

Mystic said nothing. Shoving the shovel down into the ground one more time, she tossed the last bit of dirt out before huffing in irritation more than exhaustion.

“Good,” said Applejack as Mystic began walking to the barn, “Now put the shovel up.”

“Look, we don’t like to punish anypony, especially family,” said Applejack, Mystic’s ear slightly turned to her, “When Ah had to spank Apple Bloom in the past, Ah hated it, but it was fer own good. Ah had to discipline her and she’s become a wonderful young filly.”

Mystic twitched some at the word “discipline” she grits her teeth and her lips twisted into a snarl.

Mystic stopped dead cold in her tracks.

You can't ever do anything right! You're going to need some disciplining, Mystic! Hong’s voice rang through her mind.

She could almost feel the whip with barb wires digging into her skin.

Feeling her eyes starting to well up, the mare whirled around to face the startled Applejack, her eyes wide with fury, pupils dilated and barring her teeth.

“Don’t ever tell me I need disciplining!” she roared, throwing the shovel to the side, causing Applejack to jump back some with wide eyes. She barely noticed the startled Big Mac looked over as well.

“I am disciplined!! I don’t need somepony telling me that I need it anymore!”

She stomped the ground hard. “What am I?! Some kind of slave to you?! Is that it?!”

“Now wait just a minute!” Applejack cried, “Yer not a...”

“Just be quiet!” Mystic shouted, getting right in Applejack’s face, “Stay the hay away from me!

Mystic harshly turned and stomped away. As she did so, painful memories of her harsh, abusive uncle emerged. She gritted her teeth as tears stung her cheeks. The memories of the yelling and the whippings echoed through her mind.

She stopped at the edge of a dusty field. Mystic sniffed, trying to bury the memories once again, hatred towards that pony churning in her chest.

The unicorn wiped her tears away and harshly sat down.

“Mystic?” said a deep, masculine voice. The mare turned around, glaring at Big Mac.

“What do you want? Coming to scold me on that lousy mare’s behalf?” Mystic hissed.

“First off, that ‘lousy mare’ is ma sister, and she didn’t mean to upset you,” he said, his look firm. "And yer not a slave here.”

“Whatever,” said Mystic, “I’m not working the fields like she wants!”

Mystic expected the stallion to rebuke her, but he just stood there with a patient expression.

“She cares a lot about her family and other ponies, as do Ah. She doesn’t want you ta be punished, she has compassion on you.”

“Why would she have compassion?”

“Because that’s the kind of pony she is,” said Big Mac.

Mystic just turned away. “She can just do all of these fields for all I care. I’m not doing any more work for her.”

She didn’t hear a response from the stallion for a little bit.

“Tell ya what,” he said, “Ah’ll have you take a break for the rest of the day and you can buck apples tomorrow, okay?”

Mystic didn’t turn around, “Why?”

“Because Ah think you’ve done enough fer the day, ya followed through on what ya needed to do and have dug five holes.” Mystic looked at the stallion and saw him giving a sincere look. “Ah’ll even have Apple Bloom warm up the bath for you. Ya look like ya need a one.”

Mystic looked at her clothing and saw she has some dirt on them too, her hooves are dirty and she felt some dirt on her face as well. She sighed, looked at Big Mac and nodded.

“Okay, and be sure you apologize to Applejack,” said Big Mac. “If ya refuse, Ah’ll reconsider ya not working the fields.”

Mystic sighed but nodded again, the rebuke leaving the tip of her tongue. She stood up and began walking towards the Apple homestead.

“One more thing. Were you crying?”

Mystic stopped, quickly turned, scowled at him and shook her head, “No.”

With that, she continued on her way.


Big Mac watched as Mystic walked off. Having observed the mare, he could tell she was strong and resilient yet was exhausted. As he watched her go, he heard Applejack approach from behind.

“Hey,” she said.

“Eeyup,” he replied.

“Where’s she goin’?”

“Ah had her go in for a bath.”

Applejack looked at him with some surprise.

Big Mac held up a hoof, “AJ, she’s wearing herself down after hard work in the town. She’s a strong one, but Ah know when a pony’s overworking herself.” He gave a knowing look to his sister, a blush forming on her features.

“Ah guess yer right...” she trailed off, rubbing the back of her head.

“And AJ,” he said, looking to make sure Mystic wouldn’t hear them, Big Mac turned to Applejack and whispered, “I saw’er crying earlier.”

Applejack’s eyes widened, “What?”

“Eeyup, even though she was jus’ wiping her eyes there wasn’t any dust or wind around to suggest she was wiping them from anything else.”

“Oh my...I didn’t know she was workin’ that much,” Applejack frowned, but Big Mac shook his head.

“Ah’m not sure if it was that or not. Maybe keep an eye on her. But don’t mention this conversation to her,” Big Mac went on, he looked his sister right in the eye, “Get to know’er some more.”

Applejack nodded, “Ah will.”

“Okay, now let’s get in and fix supper,” said Big Mac.

PreviousChapters Next