• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,244 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,244

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18 - An attack

It was a fun-filled camp for all of the colts and fillies in the area.

First, they played hide and seek, tag, made arts and crafts, some played horseshoe toss, some tetherball. Now, they were roasting carrot dogs over the fire, and are planning to observe the stars after they roast marshmallows.

“I can’t tell you how much we’ve enjoyed this!” Diamond chirped, “I’ve not enjoyed camping out this much in well... ever!”

“Me either!” added Silver.

“We’re glad y’all could come, the more the merrier!” Apple Bloom cheered.

“Yeah! I love how we’re all friends here now,” Sweetie added.

“Yeah,” said Diamond, flicking her mane, “I didn’t care about coming out and hanging out in nature, but I’ve grown more accustomed to it.”

“Except your mother, she’s a stuck up,” said Silver.

Diamond playfully rolled her eyes, “Oh, she doesn’t even try to stop me anymore, not after I was just being myself and making new friends.”

Apple Bloom wrapped a foreleg around Diamond, “And we’ll be happy to help ya make even more.” Diamond smiled as she took her carrot dog on the stick out of the fire, and Apple Bloom handed her a bun to help her out.

“I’m certainly looking forward to seeing the meteor shower tonight,” said Gilded Lily, looking up at the stars, “Not to mention the Ursa Major, Minotaur, and Sirens are at their brightest this time of year.”

“It’s gonna be great,” Scootaloo said happily, “Right Big Mac?”

The stallion had finished preparing Petunia a carrot dog, he turned and smiled, “Eeyup.”

Scootaloo walked over to Gilded Lily, giving her a carrot dog which the filly took with a bright smile on her face. The daredevil filly sat next to her friend who’s loves the outdoors and astronomy.

“So, care to give me a tour of the night sky sometime tonight?” Scootaloo asked.

“I’ll be happy to,” replied Gilded Lily. “It’s very fascinating.”

“Honestly I think you’d get along with Twilight just fine,” Scootaloo smiled.

“The Princess of Friendship?” Gilded Lily tilted her head curiously.

“Yeah! She might be into all kinds of things in her books, but she does love looking at the stars once in a while, maybe you can show her what you know!”

The unicorn filly beamed. “Oh, that’s a great idea! I just hope I can find a good time in her schedule.”

Scootaloo giggled, “You’d be surprised by how organized and precise her schedule is.” Gilded Lily returned the giggle.

“I’ll be sure to be set up and obliterate all of you on the tetherball tomorrow!” Button proclaimed.

Tender Taps gave a sly smirk, “Really? I thought you were dizzy from the ball’s constant twirling and had to throw up in a bush nearby.”

This caused Chipcutter to chuckle while Scootaloo smirked slyly as well. Button blushed in embarrassment and babbled incoherently.

“I just hope he can keep his marshmallows down,” said Scootaloo.

“Oh, stop it you two,” Sweetie said with a stern look.

“Aw, alright.”

“Speakin’ of which,” said Big Mac, he reached behind himself and pulled out the bag of marshmallows, “Who’s ready for some?”

All of the kids, including those who haven’t finished their carrot dogs, raised their hooves and clamored over one another wanting to eat the delicious treats.

“One at a time,” Big Mac chuckled, “And for those who haven’t finished their carrot dogs, please do so before ya get some marshmallows.”

The kids calmed down and waited patiently as Big Mac picked the treats out of the bag and began giving them to each colt and filly who had finished their meals. A minute passed and everypony finished their meal and all ended up with marshmallows.

“Hey y’all!” a familiar voice called.

Big Mac and Apple Bloom held back their groans while the other kids looked to see Applejack walking over.

“Hey sis,” Apple Bloom breathed, “Good ta check on us... fer the third time.”

Diamond giggled at Apple Bloom’s reaction.

“Ah assure ya this is the last time tonight Ah’ll be checkin’ on y’all,” Applejack assured her. She turned to Big Mac, “Everythin’ in order? Do they need extra blankets? More treats?”

“Everythin’s fine, Applejack,” Apple Bloom assured her, “Right Big Mac?”

“Eeyup,” replied Big Mac, placing his own marshmallow on a stick.

Applejack sighed, “Sorry, it’s just Ah’ve been a little worked up lately with the School and other stuff on ma mind.”

“It’s okay, Applejack,” said Sweetie Belle, roasting her marshmallow.

“Yeah! And we’re not far from the farm, what could go wrong?” Scootaloo said.

Applejack smiled, “Ah guess yer right.” She turned to leave, “Well, have...”

Then a loud howl pierced through the air causing everypony’s blood to turn into ice. Their eyes widened, pupils dilated as they all sharply turned to look and see a few pairs of glowing green eyes looking right at them!

Sweetie and Petunia screamed as Diamond cried out, “Timberwolves!”

“What?! They shouldn’t be over this far from the Everfree!” Applejack shouted.

Thinking quickly, Applejack looked around and saw a cart filled with hay which Big Mac was going to take the kids on a hayride sometime.

“Big Mac!” Applejack bellowed, “Get the kids onto the carts! Ah’ll handle this!” She stomped her hoof hard while the kids huddled together in fear, Big Mac joined their side.

“But AJ!” Big Mac protested.

“No buts! Go!” Applejack ordered.

There weren’t any more questions asked as Applejack faced down the approaching timberwolves, now getting closer and looking ready to pounce on their prey.

“Ah’ve gotcha in ma sights,” Applejack glared. Then a timberwolf charged right at her.


A few minutes earlier

Mystic was sitting on the couch, she’d grabbed a few books to look and see what’s in them, not to really read them but just to skim because she was bored now. She’s seen a book about the history of apples, the history of Ponyville, the different kinds of apples and a book about Appleseed. Mystic facehoofed, maybe these ponies were a little too into apples. She placed the books back on the shelf as Granny Smith walked into the den, slow as ever. She seemed to almost crawl to her chair before sitting down in it. Her elderly eyes looked over at Mystic and smiled.

“So, how’re you doing youngin’?” she asked.

“Uhhh... okay?” replied Mystic.

“Ah see, Ah see, peachy Ah can tell.”

“Yeah...” Mystic breathed out, before whispering to herself, “Peachy.”

“Have ya seen Applejack?” Granny asked, looking around the den, “She was supposed to start cookin’ fer us.”

“She went out to check the campsite,” Mystic explained.

Granny chuckled, “Oh, for the third time today?”

“Apparently.”

“She can be like that and a might stubborn, too.”

“I kinda guessed.”

Granny’s gaze went to the books, “Ah see you were lookin’ at the books.” She looked back at Mystic, “Do ya like stories?”

“I’ve not... really gotten into them other than backstories for different creatures I’ve come to know about,” Mystic explained, clearly not wanting to chat much longer.

“Well, Ah’ve got a multitude of stories Ah can tell.”

Mystic perked up, knowing she was about to start, “Oh, not now!” Granny paused, “I’m not in the mood and aren’t we gonna eat?

Granny scoffed, “Oh, we got plenty of time fer one.”

“Uhh,” Mystic began thinking of ways to get out of this, but the best option she decided was just to get up and leave. So she stood up.

“You can tell Applejack the story, I’m leaving,” she said hastily.

“Sit down, please,” Granny said, but Mystic began to leave.

Before she could get far, they heard the loud howl of a timberwolf. Both ponies froze and turned to the window, the howl had come from that direction.

“What. Was. That?” Mystic asked, a little surprised.

“A timberwolf,” replied Granny, she glared, “A foul beast.”

Before Mystic could say anything else, Granny’s eyes went wide and she sat up in her chair, “Oh ma Celestia!!” Her loud, panicked tone slightly startled Mystic, “That’s the direction of the kids’ camp!”

Mystic’s eyes widened in horror, she quickly moved over to the window and looked out in the direction they’d come from. She began thinking, aren’t Applejack and Big Mac over there? Shouldn’t they be able to help the kids? They should have it in their hooves.

“Oh, Ah hope they’re okay!” Granny cried, Mystic glanced at the elderly mare, feeling a tug at her heartstrings seeing her distraught, she looked back out the window, concerned about the kids and... the other two as well. But, shouldn’t they be okay? They’re strong ponies. She didn't need to go and save them, does she?

“Oh, I pray they’re okay,” Granny cried, her look even more distraught.

That did it.

Despite being sure of AJ and Big Mac, Mystic opened the window, grabbed her satchel with her magic, dove outside and grabbed a long metal rod. Granny watched with wide eyes as Mystic took off like a bullet in the direction of the campsite.


Present time

Applejack kicked a stone at a timberwolf’s legs to break them, but the creature dodged it and continued charging. Applejack quickly dodged to the side to avoid the beast’s jaws before she kicked another stone into the creature’s back and shattering it. Looking to see if Big Mac and the children were okay, she saw her brother placing the children into a cart to get them to safety.

Turning her attention back to the timberwolves, Applejack saw two of them coming right at her. She ran, a determined, sisterly and motherly surges pumped through the pony’s system, these beasts weren’t gonna hurt her family and friends! She'll protect them no matter what!

Jumping onto a low branch, Applejack climbed onto a higher branch as the timberwolves passed right under her. They screeched to a stop, which allowed Applejack to throw another large rock, hitting one of them in the face.

This caused them to come right at her again, but she jumped down from the tree onto a large rock in the ground which she kicked out of the ground and kicked again right at them, causing them to shatter.

She smirked in triumph but heard a noise behind her. She didn’t look but a timberwolf was approaching her from behind. Rolling to the side, Applejack barely dodged the timberwolf’s large fangs, only missing the mare by an inch. Her hat fell off her head when she was upside down.

Applejack landed firmly on her hooves and faced the thing. She was about to attack until the timberwolf looked to its left, sensing something. Applejack looked and saw a pony’s silhouette against the moon holding a metal rod in its hooves.

“Rah!” she cried before throwing the rod right at the creature. The rod impacted the timberwolf, shattering it into bits.

Mystic landed in front of Applejack in a fighting pose. Applejack gasped. The unicorn briefly glanced at her before turning back to the rebuilding timberwolves, as well as three more timberwolves running right at them.

“Back for more you rotten brambles?!” Mystic taunted, “Well, bring it you regenerate freaks!”

Mystic took off towards the creatures. Applejack watched her in surprise and amazement for a few seconds before she snapped out of it and took notice of the two timberwolves starting to form back together.


Mystic was smiling a bit as she charged at the foul beasts, metal rod raised, she struck another timberwolf in the face.

The other two came right at her, but she propelled herself over the timberwolf she struck with the metal rod and struck the beast from behind, shattering it. The other two timberwolves turned around to face her.

“I wasn’t prepared the first time I encountered you! But now I’m beyond ready now!” Mystic declared before she shot a beam of magic at one timberwolf, but it dodges her magic and roared in anger while the second timberwolf charged. Mystic rolled to the side. Mystic swept the metal pole under its front legs, shattering them and causing it to fall onto the ground and shatter. Mystic galloped off again, leading the other timberwolf away from its downed allies.

Taking a glance at Applejack, she saw the apple farmer using her lasso to grab a timberwolf around its neck before she bucked its head right off.

Mystic looked behind her to see the timberwolf still chasing her and another joined its side, which made Mystic smirk again. Looking back in front of her, she sees a tree with low hanging branches.

She jumped towards the branch, forcing her body weight onto it, causing it to bend backward as the timberwolves kept coming.

When it bent back enough, Mystic pushed herself off as the branch went “thwang” right at the two timberwolves, by the time the branch shattered them, Mystic landed firmly on her hooves, triumphant.

The loud howl from earlier pierced through the air again.

Mystic and Applejack looked and saw the Alpha timberwolf coming out of the tree line! Mystic’s eyes widened but she felt some excitement, yet an urging to get even with this thing.

The Alpha gazed around to see its pack members trying to regenerate, but the first ponies it sees is Big Mac running off with the kids in the cart! Its eyes flared with predatory instinct.

Mystic’s eyes widened as a green glow surrounded the beast’s body, and she nearly gasped when it began growing in size!

It grew to three times its size before it bolted after its prey! She watched it run for a bit until she realized what its target is!

She took off after it, determined to end this beast’s life.


Big Mac ran very fast, his eyes filled with horror yet determination to protect the kids.

“Big Mac! The alpha’s grown very big!” Chipcutter cried.

“Yes! Run!” Petunia cried.

“Eeyup!” replied Big Mac.

As he continued to run, Apple Bloom screamed and cried out something, but Big Mac couldn’t understand her.

“What is it?!” he cried.

“Something about jumping!” said Scootaloo.

Big Mac looked behind him to see the Alpha timberwolf lunging right at them, with its mouth open and claws extended!

Thinking quickly, Big Mac made a sharp left while the kids screamed. They screamed louder when the alpha’s large claws landed a few feet from them.

It snapped its jaws at the ponies, narrowly missing them as Mystic fired a couple of magic beams at its face.

Big Mac picked up speed as the Alpha continued to chase them and Big Mac swerved around a few large rocks, making his way to the fields of the farm.


The Alpha continued to chase its prey as it began to catch up to them again. The kids screamed at the top of their lungs as Applejack began to tear up in fear. Another beam of magic hit the Alpha, this time on its back, and it turned its attention to see Mystic and Applejack running right at it.

“Pick on somepony yer own size, coward!” Applejack shouted.

The Alpha seemed to take insult in that, its eyes flared in anger and charged right at the two ponies while Big Mac continued to run away at top speed. Mystic fired a beam of magic at the beast’s chest, making it slightly flinch but not stopping it from lunging right at them. Mystic ran up to Applejack, pushing her aside just before she avoided the beast’s attack. Now in front of the alpha, Applejack saw a large rock, ran over to it, kicked it out of the ground and bucked it right at the Alpha, but the Alpha ducked underneath it and turned around to swipe at Mystic. She made a sharp left and the Alpha began chasing her.

“Applejack! Attack it!” Mystic shouted.

“With what?” Applejack shouted back.

“Figure something out!” Mystic began running away from where the farm is, not wanting the alpha near it. Applejack took off as the alpha chased after Mystic.

Applejack saw some more beams fired from Mystic’s horn, while they were frequent, they are only simple shots unlike prolonged shots like from Twilight or Starlight.

Mystic stopped and threw the metal rod right into the alpha’s neck! This caused it to roar in pain as it screeched to a stop.

Applejack was able to grab onto the alpha’s hind leg and climb it, allowing her to run onto the alpha’s back.

She punched and kicked at it, causing some of the wood to come off. The alpha howled in pain as it thrashed around, trying to get Applejack, but the farmer pulled out her lasso and got it around one of the alpha’s large sticks connected to its head.

Soon Applejack sat on the alpha’s back and began riding it like a wild bull! Mystic was impressed by the move, but she had to think quick. Looking at the alpha’s chest, she noticed that its wood was harder than the other timberwolves, but hey, it’s made of wood.

Mystic looked up at the thrashing alpha, magically grabbed the metal pole again, causing the alpha to yelp in pain again.

Applejack’s doing her best to hang on but is nearly thrown off. Mystic backed up, breaking the metal pipe in two and tossed the first half right at the alpha’s chest.

The wood cracked some, and she threw the second one causing it to crack some more, but not enough to break through it!

“Dang it!” she shouted.

She heard Applejack scream, Mystic looked and saw the farmer flying through the air. Running to where Applejack is going to crash, Mystic managed to magically grab her. Applejack looked at her, a look full of amazement and gratitude, as she was placed on the ground. Mystic turned back to the alpha as it tried to remove the pieces of metal in its chest.

“I need to get an opening in that chest there!” Mystic shouted to Applejack, “But that thing’s tough! Can you find a way to trip it so I can break through?”

“What’re you gonna do?” Applejack asked.

“You’ll see! Now go!”

Pulling out her lasso again, Applejack charged at the alpha while Mystic opened her satchel, pulling out some containers with explosive powdery chemicals as well as some brown candle-like containers.

Applejack kicked hard on the Alpha’s front leg, but it was quick to throw her off. It growled as it glared right at her. Mystic pulled Applejack away with her magic just before the Alpha rammed its jaw right into the ground in a failed attempt to eat her.

Mystic quickly ran up to it, jumped and punched the alpha in the chest! Its protective wood cracked some more as Mystic threw a couple more punches before she landed on the ground again. Quickly looking up to see that the wood’s almost broken, she fired one more beam of magic right at it, shattering it!

With a large howl and roar of pain, the alpha focused on Mystic, but Applejack threw a few rocks at the beast, catching it in the eye and snarling in slight pain.

This allowed Mystic to escape and run around it. The alpha lunged at Applejack again despite its pain, but the farmer rolled clear.

“Applejack! Get over here!” Mystic called, waving her over.

Not hesitating for a minute, she dashed right over to Mystic and sees another large rock next to them. Her eyes widened in shock as Mystic pulled out a stick of three-pack dynamite!

“Applejack, kick the rock! Knock him down!” Mystic ordered.

“Okay!”

Applejack turned and bucked the rock right at the charging Alpha. This time her target landed right on the alpha’s right foreleg, shattering it, which caused the Alpha to trip and tumble forward.

Both Mystic and Applejack took steps back before it came to a stop, its chest and lower body facing them. Mystic spotted an opening in its chest leading to its vitals.

“Perfect!” she said, lighting the fuse and magically throwing the dynamite right into the struggling alpha as it tried to get up to continue its hunt.

“Run!” Mystic shouted, taking off with Applejack following her. Mystic spotted Big Mac and the kids behind a large rock and made her way over to them.

“Get behind cover! Now!” Mystic jumped over the rock and hid behind it while the kids and Big Mac ducked down, Applejack jumped over the rock too and landed next to Mystic.

KA-BOOOOOOOMMM!

Bits of wood, vines, and branches went everywhere as a large cloud of smoke took over the area the Alpha was. Then, everything went quiet. All of the ponies waited.

...

Mystic and Applejack poked their heads up to see what’s going on, and both saw what remained of the Alpha and the timberwolf pack looking at the remains. They began whimpering in fear.

“Hey!” Mystic shouted at them, causing them to look right at her, “Get out of here!”

She began screaming furiously and charging to get them off the property. The timberwolves, some of the most feared creatures in the Everfree, began running off, yiping and whimpering as Mystic chased them.

“Yeah, that’s right!!” Mystic shouted, “Run like the scared, trembling brambles you are before you end up like your boss!” She kicked a rock after them as the defeated timberwolves scampered back to the Everfree.

Huffing, her muscles ached and she felt more drained due to the work she did earlier today. Her look softened as she turned back around and walked back over to the group. When she got there, she saw Applejack and Big Mac making sure the kids were all okay.

“Is everypony okay?” she asked, causing all eyes to look right at her, “Anypony hurt?”

“Uh...” Applejack said with wide eyes.

As Big Mac and Applejack continued to marvel at a pony who isn’t easy to get along with and has been cold in her attitude most of the time had just done for them. The kids step out, their eyes filled with wonder, amazement and disbelief and their jaws were agape. Mystic began to feel a little awkward with all of their eyes on her.

“O-Okay, I can see you’re all okay,” she began, “And...”

The kids cheered and ran right at her. Mystic to tense up as they all crowded around and hugged her.

“No no no! I don’t do these!” she protested.

“That was awesome!” Scootaloo shouted happily.

“It was insane!” Sweetie declared, “You and Applejack were great together!”

“Have you ever fought beasts before?” Button asked.

“Well, duh!” Chipcutter said.

“I-I’ve fought quite a bit,” Mystic managed to say.

“You’ve gotta tell us about’em!” Apple Bloom said happily.

“Can you teach me some of those moves?” Tender Taps asked.

“All right all right!” Applejack shouted, grabbing the kids’ attention. “Please let’er have her space, she’s had a long day and now we had this.”

Slightly disappointed, the foals backed up but still maintained their excited and grateful looks. Applejack stepped up to Mystic, her eyes wide and swirling with emotion, disbelief, relief, and thankfulness.

“M-Mystic...” she stammered out, “Ah-Ah... Ah, don’t know what to say...”

“You don’t have to say anything,” replied Mystic, “I did what anypony with half of common sense would do.”

“Ah...” Applejack closed her eyes, holding back tears, she opened them and hugged Mystic, causing the unicorn to tense up. “Oh, thank ya so much! Ah don’t know what woulda happened if you hadn’t come!”

Big Mac came up to her next, smiling proudly, “Eeyup!”

“Look, this is all very nice but it wasn’t that big of a deal, I just reacted,” replied Mystic.

“Mystic,” Applejack pulled back, looking right into Mystic’s sapphire eyes, “You saved all of these kids’ lives and ours as well.”

“You helped.”

“Ah know, but it was mostly you.”

“Well, I might not consider it as big of a deal since I’ve fought quite a bit of creatures before.” She looked over at the remains, “But not a pack of brambles like that.”

“It is a big deal, and if you don’t consider it is fer yerself it is very big fer the kids and us,” Applejack smiled.

Mystic sighed, “I guess I can let it be that way for you all.” She pulled back from Applejack and glanced at the kids still looking at her in amazement.

Sweetie Belle opened her mouth to say something when they heard some ponies running and the fluttering of wings. All of the ponies looked to see the rest of the Mane Six rushing over with great concern in their eyes, Rainbow looks ready to fight. They came to a screeching stop when they saw the group standing there.

“We heard howling and roaring from over here!” Twilight cried.

“Is anypony hurt?” Rarity asked frantically, she grabbed her sister’s cheeks and began examining her for injuries.

“Where is the monster? I wanna kick its flank!” Rainbow bellowed, clanking both forehooves together.

“Easy, easy we’re okay!” Applejack assured them all, “We took care of the beast.”

“What happened?” Fluttershy asked, eyes shining with concern and some fear.

“A pack of timberwolves attacked!” Apple Bloom announced, causing the five newly arrived ponies to gasp.

“And Applejack and Mystic both were all like wham! Bam! Shazam!” Scootaloo shouted, posing in different fighting poses.

They looked towards Applejack and Mystic, the unicorn just prodded her hoof at the ground.

“Ah jus’ helped fight the Alpha,” Applejack started, “But...”

“The Alpha timberwolf?!” Twilight cried, “It returned?!”

“Yes.”

“What happened to it? Where is it?”

“I killed him,” Mystic spoke up, pointing to the remains. “He’s dead.”

The five ponies looked over and they were surprised once again for the umpteenth time. Rainbow seemed to be the most surprised.

“Mystic...” Twilight said softly, eyes wide, “You... you killed the Alpha?”

“Yes. I did what I had to do, anypony with half of common sense would do the same.”

Twilight and her friends were silent while the kids just crowded around Mystic again. But before they could get started again, Applejack spoke up.

“Let’s head inside the house, we’ve got a heck of a story to tell. Let’s save all questions until we finish explaining,” she said.

Everypony else murmured in agreement before they all headed to the massive barn.


When the group arrived with the kids unharmed Granny greeted them, almost in tears but very happy that they’re okay. She hugged and profusely thanked Mystic and Applejack for saving them.

After everypony got settled into the den, the kids began clamoring over one another trying to tell the story but Applejack was able to calm them down and start from when she went out to check the kids, hearing the howl, the timberwolves showing up, Mystic showing up, and finally to when they both worked together against the alpha.

Everypony was surprised to learn from Mystic that she’d made the dynamite to kill the alpha and how Applejack knocked him down so Mystic could get it into its chest.

“-and that led to the explosion and the beast’s demise,” Applejack finished the tale.

“Whoaaa,” her five closest friends said in unison.

“That was some camping trip,” Gilded Lily remarked.

“I’m so sorry it was ruined,” said Rarity, holding her sister close.

“But the most important thing is that everypony is okay and nopony was seriously hurt,” said Twilight. She rubbed her chin, “I’ll have to get the mayor to get some ponies out there to clean up.”

Mystic just sat in the chair and let them tell the story while she just felt nonchalant about something that’s a big deal to the other ponies. It seems like her style of life has numbed her to something like this, but she is grateful that she was able to help save the kids and the two farmers.

“Mystic darling,” Rarity said with a grateful smile, “You did something truly heroic. I’m so proud.”

Mystic shrugged, “I’m not really a hero.”

“Yes, you are,” Fluttershy smiled, “Look at what you did.”

“I know what I did, and I’m glad they’re okay,” said Mystic.

“Ohhhh!” Pinkie beamed, “This calls for a massive party! The ‘Welcome to Ponyville and Mystic saved the kids from the timberwolves party!’”

Mystic’s eyes widened again, “Uh, maybe not now. It’s been a long day.”

“Well of course not now! But now that you saved all of them, we have to have a bigger party!” She pulled out a list, “Speaking of which, what kinds of sweets do you enjoy? And can we put up one type of balloon or multiple balloons with different colors?” She beamed brighter, “I always have pink on my birthdays!”

“Gee, I wonder why,” Mystic remarked.

“We need to go over the list so we’d make sure we have everything!”

Mystic rolled her eyes in annoyance.

“Pinkie, party plans later,” said Applejack.

“How can we thank you, Mystic?” Twilight asked.

Mystic sighed, “No need to thank me.”

“Oh, but there must be something!” Rarity declared, “I could design you a gorgeous outfit that’ll make you shine divinely!”

“No, I don’t do frou-frou dresses,” replied Mystic. “You ponies might be all about what you live for, but maybe somepony like me needs to step back from it.”

“But why?” Rarity frowned.

“It’s just not my thing,” Mystic explained, “And clothes are just clothes.”

Rarity gasped, “Except when they’re art! I assure you I make the most divine creations!”

“Wow, look at the ego like the rainbow one.”

“Hey!” Rainbow shouted while Rarity’s eyes widened.

“Just don’t try to be rude, please,” said Fluttershy.

Mystic shrugged, “Hey, it’s my take on dresses.”

“But try to be a little nicer.”

“I am being nice, I’m not yelling like somepony else.” Rainbow groaned. “Plus, I needed to keep Applejack’s friends safe since I own a loan,” Mystic crossed her forelegs.

“Wait, did you just save them to keep us away from you?” Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

“Maybe as part of my reason,” replied, “I couldn’t just let those beasts attack them. Plus, getting that alpha was good for me considering what it did to my leg before.”

“So, revenge, just saving the kids because of your loan, and because you didn’t want to let the timberwolves attack them?” Rainbow asked, forming a light glare.

“That sums it up, yes,” replied Mystic, the mood changing a bit from grateful to curious and wanting to question why Mystic was acting this way. Mystic looked to the kids, “Look, you kids are adorable and look like you’re close. Me? I’m not.”

“But you’re awesome!” said Scootaloo, causing Rainbow to cringe out of jealousy. “You really laid a number on that alpha!”

“I did, but I’m not one you should consider a friend. Friendship is a privilege for you and your friends, but friendship would just slow me down.” She stood up from her seat.

“Friendship doesn’t slow anypony down, not even me, a speedster!” Rainbow declared.

Mystic rolled her eyes, “And I bet you could move faster just on your own.”

“No, I can’t, they made me go even faster!”

“Whatever.”

She looked at Twilight, “I’m just wanting to get out of here and leave you ponies.”

“But friendship is wonderful, a privilege, it is magic,” Fluttershy added.

Mystic snorted, “Again, that’s a new one, I’ve not heard that before I met you.” She stuck a hoof in the air slightly mocking. “Friendship is magic!”

“It’s true,” said Applejack.

Mystic sighed, “I’m sure this is interesting for you all, but I’ve had a long day of work and I fought alongside Applejack to kill that thing.” She began walking to the stairs, “I’m going to bed.”

“Wait,” said Rarity, causing Mystic to stop and turn to her in annoyance, “Why did you fight alongside Applejack anyway if you don’t consider friendship much?”

“She was a value in the fight, she’s a strong and resilient pony. She was useful for me to get to the heart of the alpha so I could end it,” Mystic explained.

“You considered me a tool?” Applejack asked.

“Yes,” Mystic admitted. She turned to the stairs while Applejack felt a little hurt, “Good night.”

“Oh, don’t forget about the party!” Pinkie called.

“I’ll keep it in mind,” Mystic lied.

The group of grateful, yet surprised ponies watched her leave, and when they heard the door shut, Rainbow spoke up.

“So, she only considers AJ a tool for the fight and protected the kids because of her debt?”

“I don’t think so,” said Fluttershy, and all eyes turned to her.

“What do you mean, Fluttershy?” Applejack asked.

“I think Mystic’s just not letting us in,” Fluttershy explained.

“How do you know?” Rainbow asked skeptically.

“I have a feeling she was just saying some of that stuff, I think there might be more to her than what she’s letting on.”

“Do you have an idea of what to do?” Twilight asked.

“We’ll continue being the best we are,” said Fluttershy. “After all, we’ve overcome so much together.

Twilight smiled and nodded. The rest of her friends followed suit.

Fluttershy smiled and then Granny Smith spoke up, “Now that’s settled, who wants some apple pie made by yours truly?”

All of the kids raised their hooves and headed into the kitchen without hesitation, Applejack chuckled and telling Granny she’ll serve the pie for them. The kids would sleep in the house tonight due to the recent events.

“I wish Mystic would eat some with us,” said Gilded Lily.

“Me too,” said Apple Bloom.

Granny Smith entered the kitchen with Pinkie and Applejack, the pink mare scribbling ideas down for Mystic’s triple party now.

Author's Note:

Now this was probably one of the most intense battles I've ever written in this story! Because of what was at stake.

PreviousChapters Next