• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,244 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,244

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26 - On the way to the Crystal Empire

The Mane Six and Sunset were sitting in Twilight's dining room and just chatting with each other.

“Sooooo,” Pinkie smiled at Sunset, “My Pinkie senses were telling me there were more ponies than usual for little Ponyville since your last visit, right?”

Sunset chuckled awkwardly, remembering the spring break cruise that she and her friends went on.

“It’s quite a story...” she said.

“Oh, another story from the other world?” Rarity’s interest peaked, “What ever happened?”

Twilight’s friends did know of some of the stories Sunset tells Twilight via her magical journal, but nopony knew of when all of the time when the cruise sank and Sunset had to use the alternate entrance to Equestria to get them home through the Crystal Mirror.

Of course, that meant getting tons of human-turned-ponies through Ponyville and into Twilight’s Castle.

“Well...it’s difficult to really say,” Sunset said, not sure how to address this particular story.

“Oh, that’s easy!” Pinkie smiled, “Just a bunch of friends from the other side had to use a different portal into Equestria and had to use the Crystal Mirror to get home!”

Twilight’s eyes widened, “Pinkie!”

“Whaaaaaat?” Pinkie shrugged innocently, but the cat’s out of the bag now, Twilight’s friends were taken aback. Sunset’s eyes were wide, but she knew better not to question Pinkie, even an alternate counterpart.

“My stars!” Rarity inquired.

“Ya mean ya had all of those characters go through Ponyville?” Applejack asked.

“There’s more than one entrance to Equestria?” Fluttershy added.

“I didn’t get to see counterpart me?!” Rainbow cried.

Sunset giggled, “She saw you though.”

“What?! Really?!” Rainbow beamed.

“She saw you talking to that one pony, causing him to faint.”

Rainbow tapped her chin, having been a little ways back, it took her a few seconds to remember.

“Oh, you mean Stormfeather?” she finally said, “I wondered what in Equestria could’ve made him faint.”

“Probably seeing two awesome ponies,” Sunset winked.

Rainbow smiled proudly, “Oh, I tend to do that with some ponies sometimes. Especially if there were two of me!”

Twilight shuffled awkwardly, “I guess that shows why most ponies shouldn’t pass through the portal to disrupt our worlds.”

“But hey, Sunset was so masterful in getting every...” Pinkie paused, trying to figure out how to place it.

“Everyone?” Sunset put in helpfully.

“Oh, yeah! Everyone!” Pinkie smiled.

“It’s what we call all of them over there, the humans I mean.”

“It’s still an interesting world over there,” said Rarity, “Not just for those ‘humans’ you mentioned but the fact there’s one of me over there!”

“So!” Twilight said loudly, trying to keep Rarity from getting an idea, “Is there any more interesting stuff happening over there?”

“Oh, after that just the usual shenanigans, have a party, hang out, do some videos and upload them on the internet and talking magic,” Sunset summed up.

“In-ter-net?” Rainbow asked, trying to pronounce the strange word.

“It’s a place where you can look up different sources for study, entertainment and even upload your own creations, such as videos.”

“Videos? Like the projector screens here in Ponyville?”

“Something like that. Only different.”

“I’m sure Sunset has tons more to tell about her time in the other world,” said Twilight, “But don’t be tempted to cross over.”

“Awww, why not?” Pinkie frowned.

“I believe you and the others know why,” replied Twilight.

“You sure? Because I don’t seem to recall,” Rainbow smirked, obviously teasing, but Twilight only rolled her eyes in annoyance.

Sunset chuckled as she ate a strawberry, “You six don’t seem that different from the others.” She looked at Spike, “Neither do you.”

“That’s good because I hope he’s as good and charming as me,” Spike boasted.

“He is, believe me,” Sunset playfully rolled her eyes. Suddenly she perked up, remembering something, “Oh! There’s this new girl we’ve met.”

“Really?” asked Twilight, clearly interested, “Who is she?”

“Her name is Cierra, but we call her Cici. She's a volunteer at our school and she used to go to Manehattan High School.”

“There’s a Manehattan over there?!” Rarity cried happily.

Sunset, slightly caught off guard, answered, “Yes.”

“Oh, all the dresses, the sights and dresses I’d be able to see!” Rarity gleefully stated, “And across dimensions no less!”

Twilight cleared her throat, causing Rarity to shut up and slightly blush.

“Anyways,” Sunset went on, “She seemed a little awkward at first before she began volunteering, but when she met us, we helped her fit in with the massive group of Canterlot High. The whole school’s been honored to have someone from that big city helping out free of charge.”

“Is there anything else?” Fluttershy asked.

“Wellll...” Sunset rubbed her foreleg, “There was a minor issue with someone named Vignette Valencia.” She looked at Twilight, “You remember her, don’t you?”

“I’ve never met her but I know you made friends with her,” replied Twilight.

Sunset sighed heavily, “Well, it turns out I was wrong about her being corrupted by Equestrian magic, and she never really felt any genuine remorse for her actions.”

“What?” Twilight’s eyes widened, growing concerned, “What happened?”

“Hardly anything,” Sunset explained, “I mean things would’ve happened if not for Cierra, or, as she goes by, Cici.” She sat up straight in her seat, “Vignette was planning to make more phones and change the whole city into something she wanted, and I have no doubt that she wanted to do the same thing to us. However, Cierra met her and saw something off about an extra phone Vignette was carrying.”

“So, Cierra followed Vignette?”

“Yes, and she discovered the magic. Having heard nothing about it, she was taken off guard and told us because she could only trust us. She didn’t know if we’d believe her, but we did and she tagged along.”

“She knows about the magic going through your world?”

“Yes, but nothing about Equestria. Anyway, while we found Vignette’s secret operation, we tried to reason with her, but she refused to listen and attacked us with some magic I don’t know how she’d gotten.”

“What?!”

Twilight’s friends’ eyes widened in horror.

“Yes, and to make a long story short, we were able to subdue her, destroy the dark magic, the magical phones, and the police arrived soon after the magic was cleared up.”

“They arrived?” Fluttershy asked, “Weren’t you being discreet?”

“As much as possible, but Cierra called them and reported an assault on a teenage girl and her friends were trying to get her out safe.”

“Whoa,” Rainbow marveled, “This Cierra girl seems like a quick thinker.”

“She is, and we were grateful she never mentioned any magic. Vignette was found guilty due to the weapons found and she was put in prison,” Sunset slightly sulked in her seat, “Needless to say, her online career is over for good. As with her friendship with us.”

Twilight cast a sympathetic look at Sunset, lightly touching her shoulder with a hoof, “I’m sure you did your best.”

Sunset nodded, “We did. What really struck me is how quick the humans Rarity and Applejack made friends with her and she never showed any real remorse.” She sighed, “I guess that was just a band-aid solution for a person who did so much wrong without really regretting it.”

“I agree,” said Rarity, “I mean I love making friends but the way you make her sound, I wouldn’t take her as a friend right away.”

Sunset chuckled, “Tell that to your counterpart. Or, I’ll tell her.”

“I don’t think there’s much need for that,” said Twilight, “Rarity tends to recognize her mistakes.”

“Oh, yes!” said Rarity.

Fluttershy raised a hoof, “What concerns me is one question...”

“What’s that, Fluttershy?” Twilight asked.

“How did that...Vignette even get the magic? I mean doesn’t Sunset and her friends have the magic of friendship?”

Everypony looked at one another, considering that thought.

“I guess I hadn’t considered that,” said Twilight.

“Do you think there could be more magic elsewhere we don’t know about?” Sunset asked, the thought of some more dangerous magic haunting her some.

“The thought does sound a little scary,” said Applejack, as if she’d read Sunset’s mind.

“If there is, I bet Sunset and her friends could totally kick its evil flank!” Rainbow proudly declared.

“Even if we did,” Sunset went on, not enlightened yet, “Thinking about it, that portal from the island to the Everfree Forest has gotten me a little concerned. What if there are more portals and some magic invaded the other world too? The Storm King’s magic did when he cast his spells.”

Twilight grew a little concerned as well, Sunset did have a point. Who knows what kind of dangers could’ve unintentionally leaked into the other world without their knowledge? What if the world is suffering in some areas because of it? There’s more to the world than Canterlot High and its students encountered the Storm King’s magic on the high seas. This is a bit of a scary thought.

“I’m sure whenever bad magic shows its face, you and your friends will prevail,” said Fluttershy.

“Agreed,” said Applejack.

“Yes, it’s just gotten me a little concerned is all,” said Sunset, she sighed, “I know I’m supposed to let whatever’s going to happen, happen but it’s easier said than done.”

“Starlight taught you that didn’t she?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, she did, it’s been helpful. Again, easier said than done.”

The seven ponies and dragon were silent for a little bit, Sunset and Twilight both still considering the possibility of there being more portals until Rarity spoke up.

“Well, while we try not to worry about the future, we can consider something else that’s happening in just a few nights!”

“Oh, the Gala,” Fluttershy smiled.

“Yes!” Rarity looked at Sunset, “Tomorrow morning you can come and try a couple of dresses I drew from my mind and have you try them on!”

Sunset smiled, “Thanks Rarity. But that sounds like a lot of work.”

“Pshah, darling! That’s nothing! I designed dresses for Sapphire Shores, Coloratura, Fleur De Lis and my friends!”

Sunset blinked, “Whoa.”

“I know! I know! This Gala’s going to be huge! I cannot wait to see what the other kingdoms think of such a prestigious event!”

Applejack cleared her throat, “Provided it ain’t as exciting as the last few Galas.”

“Don’t be a stick in the mud!” Rarity smiled, “We will make sure this one goes off without a hitch!” Applejack rolled her eyes in slight annoyance due to Rarity’s comment, but she kept her mouth shut.

“Oh oh! And I can get Mystic suited in!” she excitedly looked at Twilight, “Twilight, do you think Mystic could come to the Gala?” Hoping she’d get to satisfy her fashion impulses.

Twilight nodded, “I planned on her coming to give her a good experience. And to give her some time on bonding a bit with all of you.”

“Bonding with who now?” a new voice spoke up.

Everypony and dragon turned to see Mystic walking in with a disgruntled look on her face, “If you’re giving me another assignment, I think I’ll pass.”

“Did you finish your assignment?”

“I finished half,” Mystic sat down next to Sunset, “Those darn Guides need a massive revision.”

Twilight blinked. “Excuse me, I think they’re totally clear!”

“Of course, you’d think that Twilight,” Sunset chuckled.

“The other students seem to get it!”

“Yeah, ‘seem’ to.”

Twilight blinked again, “I’ll try not to take that as an insult.”

“Wasn’t meant to be.”

Twilight turned to Mystic, “I suppose you could finish it tomorrow, but now you could hang out with us and learn more about friendship.”

“Hoora,” Mystic deadpanned.

“Well, I know of you all meeting her and the School situation,” said Sunset, “Anything else happen with all of you?”

“We had to stop an invasion of a pride of lions,” said Fluttershy.

Sunset lightly gasped, “Wait, what?!”

“Yes,” said Rainbow, “But we totally wiped the board clean of those felines!”

“Really?”

“Yes, and we had to team up with some...”

A growl from Mystic silenced Rainbow, causing her to look over and see a massive glare on her face.

“What’s with you?” Sunset asked curiously.

Mystic just looked away.

“She... has had issues with somepony in a group we teamed up with to stop them,” Twilight explained, trying to put things delicately.

“An absolutely abysmal pony that needs no further mention,” Mystic growled.

Sunset raised a concerned eyebrow but decided not to push it any further, “You know, lions come from the land of Oogundaa.”

“Yes, we know that,” said Applejack, “The land in the direction of the Undiscovered West as the maps marked it.”

“Makes you wonder why it's called that if we know of the land that's over there," Rainbow commented.

“I’m surprised that they even tried to invade,” said Twilight, “I know they’re territorial but they never ventured this far east before.”

“All that matters is that they were thwarted,” said Rarity, “Now we can carry on without worry.”

Twilight nodded, “I believe so.” She smiled a little, “It’s going to be nice to have a night where we don’t have to worry about anything, all things considered.”

While they were talking, Pinkie did occasionally glance at Mystic, she felt sad, not able to take her mind off the young unicorn lying to her like that. She’s happy she did smile a little for her, but she strongly desires for her to truly smile and laugh.

“Oh, Mystic!” said Rarity, “I do have plans for you.”

Mystic raised an eyebrow, “And what they might be?”

Rarity giggled, lightly clapping her forehooves excitedly, “Oh, you’ll see!”

Before Mystic could say anything, Twilight looked at her and spoke, “It’s going to be a part of your friendship lessons, and you can try to be a little appreciative.”

Mystic sighed in defeat, “Fine.”

“Do you want something to eat, Mystic?” Spike asked, holding up a bowl of salad.

“No.”

“Oh, okay,” replied Spike as he put the bowl of salad down.

“Mystic,” said Sunset, “While Twilight may give you friendship lessons, don’t think of them as a burden. Think of them as an opportunity to get to know ponies better.”

“That’s right,” said Twilight, “Our school is all about respecting one another’s differences and coming together in harmony.”

“The books and homework seem a little technical,” said Mystic.

“You’ll get it as you move along. Not to mention, you’ll be attending the Gala to really see how we appreciate one another’s differences.”

“Wait what?” Mystic asked, caught off guard, “I’ll be attending a big event?”

“Yes, it’s part of your assignments.”

Mystic sighed, “I don’t do parties, and I don’t really care enough to really attend.”

“Like I said, you can try to be a little more appreciative. You need to open up some, Mystic.”

“I find that rather tough to do, Your Highness,” Mystic crossed her forelegs, looking away.

Twilight inwardly groaned, hating to be referred to as a Princess when among friends.

“I think it’ll be good for you, Mystic,” said Sunset, causing Mystic to look at her with some surprise, “I’ll be there with you and explain things.” She smiled, “After all, I’m your friend, aren’t I?”

Briefly looking around at the ponies and dragons, she saw they were all looking at her. She looked back at Sunset, and the feeling she had when she first met her resurfaced. “Yes. Yes, you are.”

Sunset’s smile grew, “I think you’ll have fun.”

“Okay? I’m still not sure about all this though...”

“I wasn’t too sure of things before, but don’t knock until you’ve tried it.”

Mystic nodded, her look softening. When it did, the other ponies and Spike were impressed, out of all of them Rarity and Rainbow were the most impressed.

“Did...did she just listen and soften when Sunset talked to her?” Rarity asked.

“Yes, she did,” said Applejack.

“It’s what friends do,” Sunset said with a small smug grin, “We listen and try to compromise.”

“Yeah, we know that,” said Rainbow, “But how in Equestria did you get connected with her so she’d listen and calm down?”

“I guess I just have that charm, Dash,” Sunset winked.

Mystic lightly smiled, causing Dash’s eyes to widen, “See? She just smiled a bit!”

Pinkie is surprised as well, feeling a little jealous about it.

“I think my charm’s results speak for themselves,” Sunset teased.

Fluttershy looked at Mystic, proud she’s made a friend, but also wonders a little bit why the unicorn connects with Sunset, “Mystic, do you know why you connect with Sunset?”

Mystic shrugged, “Not quite sure. She seems...nice I suppose and I like some of her remarks.” She smiled a little again, “Plus the way she helped me with my assignment was devious and helpful.” She dropped her smile and held her forehead in slight pain.

Twilight giggled, “I must admit, it was clever.” She looked over at Sunset, “I think Starlight would be proud.”

“I think I’ll tell her all about it,” replied Sunset.

“Agreed. She should be back in time with Sunburst to attend.”

Sunset smirked, a little lewd, “Oh, I see. I wonder if they’re getting into... personal business.”

Twilight’s eyes snapped wide open, “Sunset! Not around here!”

“What?” Sunset innocently shrugged.

“You know what I mean!” Twilight cried, this cause Sunset to heartedly laugh. Mystic had broken out a small smile again. She felt another pain come from her forehead, causing her to frown and get slightly concerned.

Spike burped out a letter, causing everypony to snatch their attention to him, including a confused Mystic. Her eyes lit up with fascination as a letter seemed to materialize out of green dragonfire.

“A letter from the Princess?” Fluttershy asked.

“No,” said Twilight, levitating the letter over, “This one has Cadance’s signature medal on it.”

“Why would she be sending you a letter over?”

“I don’t know,” Twilight unrolled the letter, as she read it, her eyes widened with great concern.

“What’s wrong, Twilight?” Spike asked.

Twilight didn’t answer as Sunset looked over her shoulder to get a better look. When she began reading it, her eyes widened too.

“Oh, boy,” she said.

“Come on, spill!” Rainbow complained.

Twilight put the letter down, her eyes still wide.

“It’s an urgent calling,” she said.

“What?” everypony sans Sunset and Mystic exclaimed.

“What happened?” Fluttershy asked.

“Is Sombra back? Is the Empire under attack?” Applejack asked, full of concern.

“No, nothing like that,” said Twilight standing up, “It’s about Starlight.”

“Is she sick?” Rainbow asked, concerned.

“No, no,” said Twilight, “I...”

“Somepony saw her and Sunburst arguing,” Sunset explained for Twilight, she knew the alicorn was really taken aback.

“Why?” Pinkie asked.

“We don’t know,” said Twilight, “But apparently there was a massive disagreement and they had a fallout.”

“But-but, those two are truly great friends!” Rarity stammered out, “Why would they have a fallout?”

“That’s just the thing,” said Twilight, looking at her friends with a serious look, “Cadance wants us to come to the Crystal Empire and discuss everything.”

“What?!” everypony sans Mystic exclaimed.

“But it’s getting late!” Rarity protested.

“And Ah have ta be up tomorrow mornin’!”

“I know, but Cadance says it’s urgent and that she’s arranged a train to bring us to the Empire.”

Everypony looked at one another with wide, surprised eyes. Everything seemed so normal a few minutes ago, now they hear about this?

“She did express her apologies in the letter, but she advised all of us to go,” said Twilight.

“But what about the School? There won’t be anypony to run it!” Fluttershy brought up.

“I’ll figure something out, but one thing Cadance mentioned is that somepony heard Starlight yelling out about going to Oogundaa for something.”

“Seriously?!” Rainbow shot out of her seat.

“What could’ve caused her to go out there?!” Pinkie asked.

“I don’t know. I know we have a lot of questions, but Cadance wants us to come up there and get the entire story.”

“When do we leave?” asked Applejack.

“We leave in about twenty minutes.”

“Whaaaat?!” Rarity shrieked, “But that’s not enough time to pack! Not enough for anything!”

“It’s not meant to be a vacation, Rarity,” said Applejack, “We need to find out what’s going on.”

Rarity calmed down some, but she still had a panicked look on her face, “But I need to pack everything I need for beauty rest!”

“I’ll help you, Rarity,” Spike volunteered.

“Anyway,” said Twilight, “While this is very inconvenient, we have to go.”

“I’m going, too,” Sunset stood up, “Starlight’s a friend to me as she is to all of you.”

“Okay,” said Twilight, “We could use some extra eyes if things are as serious as they seem.” She looked to everypony else, “Everypony, grab everything you can for a night on a train. We’ll have breakfast when we arrive in the Empire, but head to your houses and get going fast!”

“What about me?” Mystic spoke up. Everypony paused, momentarily forgetting the recent occupant in their group. Twilight began thinking, she couldn’t leave Mystic here, she’s taken responsibility for her, and they wouldn’t be able to get back in time for School. With a bit of reluctance, she spoke, “You’re going to have to come with us.”

“How come?”

“Because I’ve taken responsibility for you, and I can’t let you out of my sight,” Twilight explained, “I suppose if you want to stay with us, you’ll have to come along.”

Mystic nodded, “Fine. But there is one thing I ask for.”

“Which is?”

“My satchel.”

“Your satchel?”

“Yes, I always travel with it.”

“Fine, but no weapons, remember?”

Annoyed, Mystic nodded, she stood up, “All right, and now I’ve got to go to the Crystal Empire.” With that, she began walking out of the dining room. Feeling some pain in her cranium, she momentarily stopped and held it again.

She shook her head and headed out, Sunset trotted after her.

“I’ll go with her,” she said.

When both ponies left the room, Rainbow flew up to Twilight.

“You’re seriously letting her come along?!”

“Yes.”

Rainbow groaned, “Why does she have to come?! She’s not really our friend!”

Twilight turned and glared at Rainbow, “You’re in absolutely zero position to talk Rainbow! Not after what you did! And with the program I've got her lined up in!” Rainbow winced as Twilight continued, “I’ve promised her that I’ll take her in and I will keep that promise!” She heavily sighed as she turned around, “Let’s get moving, that train will be here soon.”

The others agreed and trotted out of the dining room with Spike following close behind.


And so, the six ponies along with Sunset and Mystic packing only the essentials, and soon all of them were on their way to the station. Mystic got her satchel and didn’t show that she had her potions she’d made thanks to her activities with the Crusaders.

The Apple family were surprised that Applejack had to leave so quickly but she had told them it’s urgent.

Twilight convinced Spike to help Maud find some substitute teachers, and that he and Maud would be running the School while they were gone. Spike was clearly taken aback, but Twilight insisted he should do so with Maud’s guidance.

With two minutes to spare, everypony met up at the same time.

“Oh, good! You’re all here!” Twilight breathed out.

“Yep!” said a smiling Pinkie.

“I’m still not too sure about what I’ve packed,” said Rarity, glancing at her suitcases.

“For corn’s sake, Rarity! Just take what ya have!” Applejack bellowed.

“Okay! Okay!” Rarity whined.

“Okay,” said Twilight, “I’ve sent the letter to Celestia telling her of the situation, got Spike and Maud to find substitutes and now we’ve all gotten all we needed.” She glanced around, seeing their bags ranging from small bags to Mystic’s satchel and Rarity’s suitcases.

“Except Rarity has to overpack as usual,” Applejack remarked.

“It’s the essentials!” Rarity insisted.

“Okay!” Sunset shouted, “Let’s not get into arguments here.”

Both the farmer and fashionista both glanced at one another before shutting up and looking away.

“I believe that this may not be as serious as it sounds,” said Twilight, completely composed, “We know Starlight and she comes around.”

“Are you sure?” Fluttershy asked.

“Please let me have one moment of optimism!” Twilight cried frantically.

The herd of ponies slightly winced as the Friendship Express came to a stop in front of the station. The door opened, two soldiers from Canterlot, both are pegasi.

“Princess Twilight,” a soldier announced, “Your ride has arrived!”

“Just Twilight please,” the alicorn insisted.

The pegasus said nothing as he stepped aside and to allow her and her friends to enter. Twilight pulled Mystic to her side to avoid the soldiers’ questioning.

“This one is with me, I’ve been keeping her my responsibility,” she said.

“Very well, Your Highness,” said the pegasus.

When they entered the train, the door closed behind them. A soldier tapped on the wall and the train started down the track towards the Crystal Empire.

“Please make yourselves comfortable,” the pegasus went on, “The barracks are in the back of the train, there’re some refreshments in the next cart over and a dining room past that. If you need anything, let any of the guards know.”

“Thank you,” replied Twilight as she and her friends left him to his duties.

“Ooh ooh! Refreshments for me!” Pinkie beamed, bolting off to find them.

“She just ate,” said Mystic.

“Yeah, but Pinkie’s basically bottomless,” said Applejack.

“I can believe it.”

“Well, while we’re getting settled in,” said Rarity, moving towards the barracks, “I’m going to make sure I got everything.”

“And if you don’t?” Applejack deadpanned.

“I’ll just have to shop at the Crystal Empire for it!” Rarity closed the door behind her.

“Of course.”

“I guess since we’ve got a long while, we could use some of it to chat a bit, Mystic,” Sunset smiled.

“Okay,” replied Mystic.

“You all get settled in, I’m going to the barracks, too,” said Twilight, “I need to formulate different plans.”

“Plans?” Mystic asked.

“I’ve got to cover all my bases.”

As Twilight left, Mystic glanced at Sunset and then out to the night sky. A twinge of pain came to her chest before she looked away.

“How about that chat?” Sunset offered.

“Sure,” replied Mystic. Before they took a step, Mystic winced and held her forehead again, pain pulsing through.

“Are you okay?” Sunset asked, concerned.

“I’m fine...” Mystic muttered, “Must be stress or something.”

Sunset raised a skeptical eyebrow, “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Mystic cleared her throat and nodded, “I’m good.”


“Coming upon the Crystal Empire! Everypony aboard please make their way to the doors!” the conductor announced.

“Oh, good,” said Twilight as she and her friends began making their way over, “That train ride took forever!”

“I don’t know, it just sped on by!” Pinkie declared.

“Things always speed by for you, Pinkie darling,” said Rarity as she combed her mane, “Besides, I barely had enough time to put on my makeup.”

“Let’s just get to where Starlight was staying and figure out what to do next,” said Twilight, her stomach rumbling after. She smiled sheepishly, “After that, we’ll see about breakfast.”

“What about now?” Rainbow asked with a yawn.

Twilight shook her head. “No time, Cadance said some soldiers will escort us to meet her as she and Shining investigate the area and talks to witnesses.”

Dash groaned, “Fine.” She yawned again.

Mystic smirked. “I know a non-morning pony when I see one.”

“Yeah...” Rainbow droned, but then shook her head, “Hey!”

“Oh, come on now, Dash, ya know it’s true,” Applejack winked.

“Don’t back her up!”

“It’s just a simple fact, daring,” Rarity added, causing Rainbow to groan again.

The train screeched to a stop at the station, the doors opened and our heroines stepped out. Two unicorn Crystal guards stepped forward.

“Welcome back to the Crystal Empire, Twilight,” one said.

“Thank you,” said Twilight.

“Wait, why did they just call you Twilight instead of Princess?” Mystic asked.

Twilight smiled, “Cadance and Shining Armor are family to me, so they requested the guards just to address me as Twilight.”

“Oh.”

Sunset smirked, “Sounds nice, Twilight.” She gazed over at the Crystal Palace, a small frown forming, “Brings back...memories...”

Knowing Sunset’s a little upset, Twilight placed a comforting hoof on her and gave her a soft look, assuring her that it’s all in the past now.

“Please follow us,” said the second guard, “Princess Cadance advised us to bring you immediately.”

“No questions or excuses needed,” said Twilight, “I need to know what happened.”

“Very well. Everypony, let’s move.”

And so, the herd followed the Crystal guards. Most citizens of the Empire weren’t awake at this hour so they wouldn’t have much issue getting there. Mystic was taken aback when they passed by Spike’s crystal statue and Sunset was mostly at the size of it, Applejack briefly mentioned to Mystic of how he’d gotten it by helping defeat King Sombra.

A few minutes passed before they reached Starlight’s rented house. Several guards stood in front of it as several investigators reported to Shining Armor. Twilight smiled brightly at the sight of her BBBFF and trotted over to him.

“Shining Armor!” she greeted.

Shining turned to face her, smiling brightly, “Twilight!”

The siblings embraced for a minute as Twilight’s friends joined her.

“Hey everypony!” he greeted, “Wonderful to see all of you again.” He turned to see Sunset, “Oh, and you must be Sunset Shimmer.”

Sunset awkwardly chuckled, “You know about me?”

“I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about you, no need to worry about past...events,” Shining assured her, calming the mare down. His eyes gazed over to Mystic, a quizzing look taking his features.

“And who’s this young mare?”

Twilight stepped next to Mystic, “This is Mystic. I brought her over because of...events that happened and I’m looking out after her.”

Shining raised an eyebrow, he’s heard of the arrangement, he’s a bit skeptical of Mystic, but who wouldn’t be just a little bit after a report like that? However, he trusts his sister and Celestia’s judgments.

“All right then,” he said, “Make sure she gets the help she needs.”

“I will.”

Shining turned towards the house, “As for Starlight, we need to speak to a couple of witnesses who saw the whole thing.”

“Okay,” said Twilight, looking around, “Where’s Cadance?”

“I’m right here,” said a new voice. It’s Cadance hovering down from the air, a smile upon her lips, “Hi everypony.”

“Cadance!” Twilight greeted as she and her old foalsitter hugged. Cadance gazed over to everypony else, “It’s great to see you all again,” she frowned, “Only I wish it was in more pleasant circumstances.”

“Ya can say that again, Cadance,” said Applejack, “Do ya know what happened?”

Cadance shook her head, “We haven’t been able to find out where Starlight has gone. Nothing magical in the air suggesting her departure by teleportation or by other means.”

“Sunburst’s gone too,” said Shining.

“What?” Twilight’s eyes snapped wide open, “They both vanished?!”

Everypony else gave each other uncertain, concerned looks.

“It appears so,” said Cadance, “Nopony saw them after they’d argued. We searched the house inside and out, along with Sunburst’s house but nothing. Nothing to suggest foul play no matter how we looked at it.”

“Ponies can’t just go poof like that!” Pinkie stated.

“You’re right, Pinkie. Only unicorns can teleport and there’s nothing to suggest that. Not even our magic experts could detect if teleportation was even used.”

“That really is strange,” Rarity commented.

“And to think this was after somepony robbed a body from a grave,” said Shining.

“What?!” Twilight repeated.

“We haven’t been able to find the body, it’s as if it were stolen and we cannot find it either,” Shining explained with a furrowed brow.

Mystic was a bit curious too, thinking the situation is bizarre.

“There’s nothing,” said Cadance, “It’s almost as if the argument and both ponies were never here along with that body.”

“You check it twice, no three times?” Twilight asked, getting nervous.

“We quadruple checked, Twilight,” Cadance shook her head, “I wish we had more than the witnesses but we don’t.”

For a minute, there was silence. Everypony cast one another looks of bewilderment at there being practically nothing to see or even hear from. Twilight’s heart was racing, what happened to Starlight and Sunburst?!

“Can we speak to the witnesses?” Fluttershy asked.

Cadance nodded, “Sure. But we questioned them thoroughly and they all insist on what they saw and heard.”

“Then we can be sure we can rely on their info,” said Twilight.

Shining sighed, “I’m really sorry, Twily. Our forces and experts searched all over the Empire but found nothing.”

“You did your best. But let’s speak to these witnesses one more time and figure out what to do next,” said Twilight.

Shining smiled, “That’s my little sis, always never wanting to give up.”

Twilight lightly blushed before she looked to her friends and they all nodded before following her.

“What do y’all think happened to Starlight and Sunburst?” Applejack whispered to the others.

“No idea, darling,” replied Rarity.

“I’m not a magic user so I won’t be able to answer,” Fluttershy added.

Rainbow shrugged her shoulders with a concerned look.

“Sunset?” Applejack asked.

“I wish I could answer,” replied Sunset, “I’m about as studied as Twilight and if she’s not sure I wouldn’t know.”

Applejack sighed, “Dang it, now Ah’m even more confused now.”

Mystic didn’t answer but she was equally as confused as them and had a bit of an uncertain look on her face. Sunset took notice but didn’t offer to question it.

So, the herd came upon two Crystal ponies, Autumn Gem and Lavender Crystal, both earth ponies. Amethyst Maresbury, the librarian, is with them, too.

“Here they are, Twilight,” said Shining. The three crystal ponies took notice.

“Princess Twilight!” they quickly bowed.

“No need for that,” said Twilight, “I’m just here to find out what happened with my former pupil.”

The three ponies quickly stammered, stood up straight, and nodded in agreement.

“They’re the only three who saw the argument. Others heard them but didn’t see what happened,” Shining explained, he turned to them, “Can you tell Twilight what you saw?”

Autumn cleared her throat, “Well it’s like we’ve told Shining and Princess Cadance, we heard them before we saw them. Before Starlight pushed Sunburst out with a pulse of magic, she was yelling out something like he’ll never understand.”

Twilight’s featured formed a surprised look, “Understand what?”

“Something about ponies in the afterlife if they really are just in a void and how Sunburst would never appreciate what she was trying to do,” Lavender added, “She vastly insulted him madder than anypony I’d ever seen.”

“Tears were running down her face,” Amethyst added, causing Twilight’s look to turn into horror, “She was so insisted of heading off to a place...a place called uh...” she paused, “Ah darn it, what was it?”

“Oogundaa,” said Mystic.

Amethyst perked up, “Ah, yes! That’s it!”

“Afterwards, she said something about her mother and then she slammed the door hard,” Autumn finished.

Twilight blinked several times, processing what she had just heard. “This...that doesn’t sound like Starlight...”

“But we saw it, there was no mistaking it,” said Lavender.

“I’m so sorry, Princess,” Amethyst added.

For once, Twilight didn’t bother to correct her, she placed a hoof on the side of her head.

“You okay, Twilight?” Cadance asked.

Twilight slowly nodded. She’s confused, horrified, and stressed about the situation. Why this before the biggest Gala in all of Equestria’s history?! She blinked again and looked at the three Crystal ponies, “Thank you, all of you.”

“You’re welcome, Princess,” said Autumn. Twilight just turned around and stepped away. Sunset stepped after her as her friends watched with concern, knowing Twilight must be taking this a bit hard.

“Twilight,” Sunset said softly, “She’ll be okay.”

Twilight shook her head, “I’m not sure what to think now, Sunset. This isn’t like Starlight just to attack her friend and disappear after mentioning to head off to Oogundaa.”

“I don’t get it either.”

Twilight sighed, looking at Sunset, “I don’t know what to do.”

“We could go after her.”

“If we do, who knows how long we’ll be gone?”

“She got a head start last night, she’s probably not too far away.”

“I want to believe that, but this is Starlight we’re talking about. Knowing her she’d probably already be there.”

“I guess we could find out?” Sunset suggested.

Twilight paused as she stopped walking. If they left now, they’d miss the Gala, the big event she planned out with the Princesses, her friends, and wanted to see her students experience it! She cared deeply for Starlight, but her mind isn’t fully working.

“Can I get a little breakfast before I decide what we do?” she asked.

Sunset nodded, “I could go for some too.”


Twilight and company sat down and ate some breakfast to process and get their energy for the start of the day. Cadance and Shining had arranged the Café for some discounted prices for their meal which they took at Pinkie’s insistence. All of them were processing why Starlight would get so upset and possibly leave for Oogundaa. Twilight has been mostly quiet the entire time, worried and concerned for her former pupil. Her friends did some attempts at cheering her up, but it worked very briefly. Mystic observed all of this, while she isn’t as concerned, she is a little curious about everything she’d heard.

Now, the ponies finished their meal and stepped outside a bit away from the oncoming public. Twilight has declared that they all need to discuss what they need to do next, but the alicorn believes what will happen at the end of all this. Everypony was silent once again until Twilight spoke up.

“So... we’ve got a lost Starlight and Sunburst and they both possibly ended up in Oogundaa, or are on the way there,” she said.

“Yep, and what’re we gonna do?” Applejack asked.

“I am eager, but the timing of this cannot be more impeccable!” Rarity whined.

“I know!” Rainbow said, “I mean the Grand Galloping Gala is the day after tomorrow!”

“Exactly!” Rarity shrieked, “This one is huge! We all worked so hard for it! I worked so hard on those dresses for all those important clients!”

“And Ah got all that food up there! Ah’m supposed to be handling all that with some of the Apple family!” Applejack added.

“This timing is really a big party pooper!” Pinkie sulked, she was really looking forward to seeing Prince Rutherford and some of the yaks again, eager to show off her new dance moves.

“As much as I’d love to be there...I don’t think we can just leave Starlight and Sunburst out there,” Fluttershy said softly.

“And miss out on the biggest Gala ever?!” Rarity yelped.

Fluttershy glared at her, “Do you not care about Starlight and Sunburst?!”

“Of course, I do! I just wish we had some other way of knowing where they are!”

“Shining told me he sent pegasi all around in the directions a pony or two could’ve gotten in a day. Nopony turned up anything,” Twilight droned.

“Aw, poodles!” Pinkie whined, “This isn’t getting any better!”

“Not if we stand around here,” said Fluttershy.

“I agree! And the faster we move, the faster we can be back!” Rainbow declared.

“Ah doubt we’ll find’er within the amount of time between the Gala and now!” Applejack stated.

“And how do you know that?!”

“How do ya know if she’s close by without some kind of teleportation of some kind?!”

“There wasn’t any kind of teleportation!”

“Then there must’ve been some kind of way she got away without anypony detecting anythin’ ‘round here! How else can ya explain this?!”

“I don’t know! She’s Starlight! She’s practically invisible if she needs to be!”

“Enough you two!” Sunset cried, “This isn’t getting us anywhere!” The farmer and athlete shut up but they just glared at each other, but it’s more of frustration than anger.

“I don’t think we have time to argue,” said Fluttershy.

“I agree,” said Twilight, “It might seem like it...but...”

“And miss out on the biggest party ever?!” Pinkie whined again.

“Pinkie, there’re more important matters here!” Fluttershy reasoned.

“Awww!” Pinkie whined, “Why couldn’t Starlight have decided not to disappear?!”

Sunset let out a sigh, “As much as I’d hate to miss out on this Gala of a lifetime...” She slightly sulked, “I believe we have to head out to Oogundaa and find her.”

Everypony glanced at one another. Twilight had a heavy look on her face, but she nodded.

“All that planning...all of that effort...” she said, “We’re going to have to miss it...” She cares deeply for Starlight, but she hates to see good plans gone to waste. She shared a glance with Sunset, the fiery orange unicorn was looking forward to connecting more with Celestia and move past her mistakes, even more, to build their relationship even more.

“Is everypony willing to go and track down Starlight and Sunburst?” Twilight asked.

Everypony had heavy looks as well, but they looked at one another.

“So much for the Gala...” Rarity droned.

“And being with our youngins...” Applejack agreed.

Fluttershy was the first to look towards Sunset and Twilight, she nodded her head. Pinkie and Rainbow followed next and agreed to go. Applejack went next, followed by Rarity.

“All right,” said Twilight, “Let’s pack up some and get moving to Oogundaa.”

“No, you won’t,” Mystic spoke up.

Everypony looked at her incredulously, some looked offended and aghast.

“What Mystic?” Twilight asked forming a glare.

“I mean you can’t go there without a guide,” replied Mystic, leaning against a pillar. “I am a traveler and I’ve been to Oogundaa. It’s quite a difficult journey if you don’t know the way.”

“The way?” Fluttershy asked.

“The easiest way to the country,” Mystic explained, “There’re thick forests followed by hard to climb mountains and plenty of avalanche zones. On the other side of the mountains is another forest home to a dangerous wolf pack that holds domain on that side. That’s not even counting the big carnivorous predators that roam those woods.”

“A-a wolf pack?” Fluttershy asked, a little surprised.

“Yes. They’re very territorial and show no mercy upon those in their woods once they’re spotted. Oh, and one thing while wandering those woods at night...” She stood up straight, “I know some of you are experienced enough to believe that fire would keep critters and predators away, right?”

“Right,” Applejack replied without hesitation.

Mystic shook her head, “Not so in these woods. If you light a fire, they’d be attracted to it. Everycreature will know there are some other beings not meant to be in their territory.”

Applejack and the others lightly gasped.

“But that’s not what’s supposed to happen!” the farmer protested, “How do you know something like that?”

Mystic awkwardly chuckled, “I tried a few times and learned it a bit the hard way. Let’s just say that.” That comment caused everypony to look at one another, “Look, I know you’re eager to find your friend but if you don’t know the easiest way and what to do, you won’t find her as fast as possible.” Mystic smirked a little, “That’s why you need me. I can get you through to Oogundaa.”

“But what’s in it for you?” Rainbow asked suspiciously.

Mystic rolled her eyes, “Aw, come on Skittle Head. Isn’t this what ‘friends’ do? Aren’t they supposed to help one another?” Rainbow’s eye twitched.

“In all seriousness,” said Mystic, “I could use another trip. Besides, it beats the heck out of being with that horrendous Hong.”

“Are you sure?” Twilight asked, “You can get us to Starlight?”

“I can get you to Oogundaa, but I don’t think I can find Starlight on my own. At least you’ll be closer to her than you are now.” Mystic’s smirk grew, “Or are you having a little trouble relying on somepony you’ve only known for a few days? After all, I don’t rely on you much, but at least I can help you all out.” She paused for a second, “If you can rely on me.”

“I...” Rainbow tried to speak up.

“Can it, Dash!” Applejack snapped.

“Of course, I do ask of one simple thing,” said Mystic.

Slightly hesitant, but boldly, Twilight took a step forward, “What do you want?”

“I only ask for my machete and other weapons back,” said Mystic, “If I can have those, I can be more efficient and aid in dangers along the way.”

“Y-Your weapons?”

“Yes. It’s either let me have them,” Mystic turned to face away from them, “Or try to find Starlight and Sunburst on your own terms.”

Everypony looked at one another again, Twilight looked very hesitant to give Mystic her weapons back. Is she giving them some kind of ultimatum? It’s a part of her condition to even be with them, yet she’s still trying to bend things to her wills at the right moments. It concerned Twilight. However, if Mystic really could get her to Starlight, maybe she can allow her to have them. She took a breath in and thought about it some more, having a bit of a choice to make.

“Twilight, please don’t do it,” Rainbow said.

Twilight ignored her while her friends continued to observe.

“I think we should,” said Sunset.

Twilight began rubbing her forehead.

“What’s it going to be?” Mystic suddenly asked.

Twilight knew she has to rescue her friends, but if Mystic is right about the forest and the way there, they have no choice.

A few more seconds passed before Mystic heard some magic noises behind her. She glanced behind her to see Twilight has conjured up her machete in its sheath and her knives too. Mystic smiled before turning around and levitated them over to her side.

“Good,” she said, “Now I can take you to Oogundaa.”

“Just don’t try anything,” said Twilight with a light glare.

“Why would I do that?” Mystic asked with a taunting smirk.

Before anypony could say anything, Fluttershy stepped forward.

“I know she won’t hurt us,” she said. Mystic dropped her smirk and raised an eyebrow but Fluttershy only smiled, “I think she does want to help no matter what.”

Mystic scoffed, “Keep telling yourself that.” Fluttershy’s smile grew.

“And you’re sure you want to come, Sunset?” Twilight asked.

“No question about it,” replied Sunset, “I know I expected a vacation but I won’t let Starlight and Sunburst stay out there.”

“All right,” replied Twilight, “I’ll...” She sighed heavily, “I’ll get Cadance to send a letter that we’ll be...absent for the Gala but that it should go on for the other ponies and kingdoms’ sakes. After that, we’ll pack up and move out right away.” She looked over at Rarity, “Only the essentials No overpacking.”

“I do bring the essentials! I don’t overpack!” Rarity insisted.

Everypony groaned while Mystic just stood there.

“What?” Rarity asked innocently.

Our beloved ponies head to the Crystal Palace and explain everything to Shining and Cadance. The couple are disappointed that they would miss the biggest Gala of their lifetime.

Flurry flew up to Mystic and babbled excitedly over her, catching the unicorn off guard due to her being a baby alicorn.

Afterward, Cadance and Shining gave the travelers some food, water, pillows, and some blankets as Rarity made sure she had everything. She didn’t go shopping but she was frantic in checking everything. Mystic hardly packed anything except some food as everypony else got ready.

Soon, Cadance and Shining wished them luck as they reached the edge of the Empire. Twilight found a hot air balloon that would take them to the edge of the thick forests to the west. It’ll take them a while to get there.

“I wouldn’t advise flying that thing close to the forest edge,” Mystic advised, “It can be really windy above the trees.”

“That won’t be a problem,” said Twilight, “We’ll be dropping at the edge of it anyway.”

“Good, but be advised, it’s not the brightest or easiest forest. And that’s just before we get to the mountains and the other side of them.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” said Twilight as she climbed aboard the hot air balloon.

“So, Mystic, you’ve gone through the forest before?” Sunset asked.

“Multiple times actually. I went through some of it when I was coming to Equestria to begin with,” Mystic explained.

“Really?”

“Yes. But it’s basically a walk in the park for me now, I know it pretty well despite the dangers.”

Everypony else climbed aboard the hot air balloon while Rainbow and Fluttershy decided to fly alongside it.

“Okay,” said Twilight, “Let’s get a move on.”

“And we’re totally ready for any kind of danger!” Rainbow declared, “We’re an awesome team!”

The hot air balloon lifted into the air as the pilot unwrapped the rope. They’re off!

“I hope Starlight’s safe,” said Fluttershy.

“And that we find her quickly,” Rarity added, “Poor dear.”

“And Sunburst too,” said Sunset.

“Of course!”

As the hot air balloon continued to lift off the ground, Mystic began thinking about the untamed wilderness of Oogundaa. She might’ve been there before, but these ponies haven’t. It’s almost as if she has to babysit them. She thought about King Clawdius and his pride, they make their residence in Oogundaa and there’s almost no doubt they’ll encounter him while there. But that won’t deter her from the mission at hoof, and neither will it for the Mane Six and Sunset.


About an hour later, General Hong was sitting in his chair inside his tent.

Curse that Mystic! Curse that princess that defended her sorry flank! Hong seethed.

He continued sulk in his chair inside his tent. Running into ponies that had connection with the ruler of all Equestria was just pure dumb luck.

She’ll do anything to stay safe, he thought, taking a sip of coffee. He snorted angrily, standing up. There must be a way around all of this.

“General, sir!” somepony said from outside his tent.

“What is it?!” Hong demanded, “Can’t you see I’m trying to decide what to do next?”

“It’s important, sir! It’ll be worth your time!”

Thinking for a minute with a sneer on his face, Hong straightened himself and spoke, “Fine. Make it quick.”

A gray pegasus soldier stepped in and saluted before her general.

“We’ve sent scouts to act as citizens to see about Mystic as you ordered,” she said.

“Have they been spotted?”

“No sir, we made sure to blend in with everypony else. And yesterday, some of our scouts spotted Mystic along with the ponies in the Crystal Empire.”

“Go on,” said Hong, clearly not interested.

“They were there to find out a meltdown between two other ponies they know, and that both have been believed to head to Oogundaa. They’re on their way to the country now.”

At this, Hong perked up and his eyes lit up with intrigue, “Really? When did they leave?”

“About an hour ago, sir.”

“Good! Good!” said Hong, gaining an idea.

“What’re you thinking, sir?”

Hong smiled. “We’ve managed to build some rapport with the princesses of Equestria. So why not build even more?”

“Sounds like a good idea.”

“Oh, it is,” Hong’s smile grew wider. “I want a squad of about forty soldiers to go out and find the heroines of this nation. Protect them from whatever comes their way.”

“I will gather my best ponies to get on their trail,” replied the soldier.

“Excellent.”

“One question, sir.”

“Go on.”

“What about Mystic?”

“As dangerous as she is, don’t try to do anything to catch her yet. Continue to build rapport and help them with whatever they might need.”

“Understood, sir!” the pegasus saluted and backed out of the tent.

Hong smirked. “Just wait, you little run-away. One way or another, I will have you.”

PreviousChapters Next