• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,244 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,244

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22 - A new member

Being swarmed by ponies and getting dragged into a club meant for foals were both embarrassing for Mystic. But she was happy to be free from the mob that began asking her questions. She and the CMC were walking down a dirt path to a different part of the orchard she hadn’t been in yet.

“I’m glad we finally pulled her out of that,” said Scootaloo, “They were all excited and wanting to know more about her.”

“Yeeeeesshhh, you’d expect a mob about that size for Princess Celestia making a surprise visit,” said Apple Bloom.

“I think her mobs would be three times bigger,” Sweetie inquired.

“Good point.”

“Well, we’re here!” said Scootaloo. The orange filly galloped down the road, soon followed by Sweetie. Mystic watched her run into a small clearing that had a clubhouse painted with peach-colored paint, the roof and door had a darker tone of the same color. Mystic followed Apple Bloom up the ramp and to the open door.

“Come on in!” said Apple Bloom.

Mystic did so and was met with the grinning faces of Sweetie and Scootaloo.

“What’s this about?” Mystic asked.

“Mystic, we couldn’t help but notice somethin’ about you,” Apple Bloom started, “So after talkin’ with Applejack and ma friends here, we wanted to introduce you to the...”

“Cutie Mark Crusaders!” the three fillies shouted in unison, causing Mystic to slightly wince at their loud voices.

“C-Cutie Mark Crusaders?” Mystic asked as she rubbed an ear, “Is that a group one of you told me about?”

The fillies giggled and Sweetie explained, “We’re a trio of fillies that spent a ton of time lookin’ for our cutie marks!”

“But we stopped and helped ponies who didn’t understand their cutie mark or needed help understanding them,” Scootaloo went on, “All we’ve helped are on this wall behind us!” She pointed to the wall, Mystic looked to see pictures of Bulk Biceps, Tender Taps, Diamond Tiara, a bubbly griffon, and several other fillies and colts.

“You helped all of them?” she asked.

“Most of them, some are just pictures of special ponies in our lives,” said Apple Bloom.

Mystic smirked a little, “Still, look at all of them.”

“It’s what we do,” Sweetie stated proudly, “After we realized we were to help ponies we all got our cutie marks! We love doing what we’ve been doing!”

“I can tell, you speak with enthusiasm,” replied Mystic.

“Buuuuut,” Apple Bloom stated, “We’ve recently seen a potential new assignment for all of us, and it’s one we’ve not seen before.”

Mystic eyed her a little curiously, “And who’s that?”

They all pointed at her, “You, Mystic.”

Mystic raised her eyebrows, surprised, “Me? Why’s it me?”

“Well, Ah hope ya don’t mind, but Ah told my friends about yer blank flank,” Apple Bloom explained, slightly wincing.

Mystic rolled her eyes, “You did, huh? I suppose it was bound to get out.”

“Ah mean we care a ton about helpin’ ponies and we jus’ wanna help you out.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” Sweetie spoke up, “And we’ve not heard of somepony at your age not having a cutie mark.”

“So, we decided to invite you,” Scootaloo smiled confidentially.

“Invite me for what?”

“To join our club!” the Crusaders said in unison, “The Cutie Mark Crusaders!”

Mystic’s eyes widened, taken aback. The fillies kept beaming.

“And if ya need any advice or activities you haven’t tried before, we’re your fillies!” said Sweetie.

Mystic blinked a few times. “Uh, girls. This is nice but...”

“But what? We just wanna help out,” said Scootaloo, her look wilting a little.

Mystic sighed, “I’m just not cut out for a cutie mark.”

The Crusaders gasped loudly, eyes widening. Mystic assumed they’d never heard that before.

“Not cut out for a cutie mark?!” Sweetie repeated.

“Everypony has a purpose!” Scootaloo added.

“Not me, I’ve tried looking for my talent, and I know what I’m good at,” replied Mystic, “But... I’ve just learned to accept it.”

“We’ve solved all kinds of cutie mark related problems,” said Apple Bloom, “And we’re certain to help ya find yers!”

Mystic looked at them with uncertainty, “I appreciate the gesture for wanting me to join your club, but aren’t I a little too old for it?”

“No, I don’t think so,” said Scootaloo, pointing to various pictures and then a cheerful-looking grey griffon.

“Gabby’s a member of our club and she’s about your age, plus these two are middle-aged stallions that we helped,” she said, “We’ll provide you valuable information to getting your cutie mark even if you don’t get it right away.”

“Of course, she’ll get it with our help!” Apple Bloom insisted.

“I know, I’m just trying to be a little realistic!”

“We know you have to work soon after, but we just wanted to extend an offer to you, Mystic,” said Sweetie.

“Can’t ya jus’ give us a chance?”

“Pleeeeeaaaaassseeee?” they all asked in unison with sparkling eyes and wide pleading smiles. Mystic almost took a step back at how adorable they looked while pleading.

“I... don’t...” Mystic trailed off seeing all three fillies eyes turn into big pleading eyes and big frowny faces. She couldn’t deny they knew how to use them. She clenched her jaw with an uncomfortable look, until she couldn’t fight them anymore.

“I... I think I’ll probably join,” she managed to say with a look of defeat.

“Yay!” they cheered in unison, beaming brightly.

“Oh, Mystic! Ya won’t regret this!” Apple Bloom cheered, taking one of Mystic’s hooves, “You have the CMC guarantee we’ll help ya get yer cutie mark!”

“Or on the path to get it!” Scootaloo added.

“Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom scolded, causing the pegasus filly to raise her hooves in defense.

“So, you’re sure you’ll be able to help me despite my experiences and knowledge to help me find a way to get my cutie mark?” Mystic asked.

“We helped ponies who didn’t understand theirs for a long time, Mystic. Much longer than you haven’t had yours,” Apple Bloom assured her.

“I’m still not sure about this...”

“Oh, come on, it’ll be fun!” Sweetie insisted.

Mystic was going to object again but the fillies continued to beam at her, their eyes sparkling.

Mystic sighed, “Very well. I’ll see what you fillies have to offer and I’ll consider full membership.”

“Okay!” the Crusaders said in unison.

“Oh, good gracious what have I gotten myself into?” she asked herself, facehoofing.

“Oh, it’ll be fine!” Apple Bloom assured her, “We’ve gotcha, Mystic!”

Then, Sweetie Belle hit her hoof on the drum. BUM BUM BU-BUM! BUM! Then she hit it hard a few more times, slightly shaking the clubhouse and Mystic’s eyes widening as she felt the floor shake. With one final BUM, Sweetie stopped playing.

“We gotta get quieter drums,” Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo cleared her throat and began reading the scroll, “We, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, elect Mystic to join us as a sister, friend, confidaynte, alley, boss-om buddy, gal pal, compadre, chum of chums...”

Mystic tilted her head while the other two Crusaders lightly groaned.

“I still need to revise this thing...” Scootaloo mumbled with a slight blush, she continued “Homegirl... Amiga... Blah blah blah blah blah. Oh yes, here... And fellow Cutie Mark Crusader!” She smiled brightly at Mystic before continuing, “You are solemnly sworn in, here this day, in witness of your fellow sisters, friends, confidantes... boss-om buddies... compadres...” Scootaloo blushed a little deeper before tossing the scroll aside.

“Congratulations!” she quickly said, “You’re in the CMC!”

“Yay!” Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle cheered.

“Was all that really necessary?” Mystic asked curiously.

“Hey, Scoots needs to revise that thing,” Apple Bloom giggled before giving Scootaloo a playful glare, “After three other times you’d think she would.”

Scootaloo awkwardly giggled as her blush returned.



A little later, Apple Bloom began writing activities Mystic could try out while Mystic sat at a table with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle. The two fillies had poured orange juice for everypony. Mystic told them again she stinks with kids but Scootaloo spoke up.

“Puh-lease sister!” she said, “With what myself and these girls have been through, and our birthdays coming up later, we’re practically teenagers! We’re not little kids anymore.”

“Yeah!” Sweetie agreed, “We’ve become tutors for the School of Friendship, and that was after everything else.”

“We even inspired our older sisters!” Apple Bloom added.

“Well...” Mystic took a sip of her orange juice, “I guess since I didn’t know what to do with my day off...Somepony else decided it for me.”

“We’re gonna have fun, I assure ya!”

Mystic shrugged, “Oh, all right then...but again, I don’t think I’m cut out for a cutie mark...”

“Oh, don’t say that,” said Sweetie, “We know you have been unable to find your cutie mark, but we will help you get it or set you on the right path to getting it.”

Mystic blinked and rubbed the back of her forehead with a hoof, “Okay...what do you got?”

“We’re gonna plan out some activities fer ya to do, Mystic!” said Apple Bloom, briefly showing her the incomplete chart, “We here at the CMC encourage ponies to try out as many things they can until they find one they really enjoy!” She began scribbling down on the chart again, “You’re bound to find yer cutie mark, Mystic. Ya just need to expand and search on what yer really good at!”

“But as I’ve always been fighting and trying to better understand the world. You saw me out there fighting that alpha,” said Mystic.

“Just because you love and doing multiple things and even things you’re good at doesn’t mean there isn’t something else out there you haven’t figured out yet,” said Scootaloo.

“So, you’re saying I’m not talented in my fighting?”

“No, we’re not saying that,” said Scootaloo, “There’re all kinds of ponies that have their cutie marks but do other things outside of them.”

“Mmm.”

Mystic looked down at her flank, which was covered by her black pants, and wondered what in the world hers could be. She’s not really considered some of the possibilities which these fillies brought up. A cutie mark that represents something? Like what? A journey? A character? A special bond with something supernatural?

“All right!” Apple Bloom announced, snapping Mystic out of her thoughts.

“Let’s get ta helpin’ Mystic find out what she enjoys and is good at!”

She showed them the chart of all the different activities that they’ll do.

“Do you see anything you’d be interested in, Mystic?” Sweetie asked.

Mystic looked at the crayon drawings of multiple activities, she could tell what each one represented, baseball, hoofball, baking, ugh, not after Granny Smith, potion making, carpenter, babysitting, painting, bowling, and planting flowers.

“Ah thought I’d include some basic activities before we get into the more advanced stuff,” said Apple Bloom.

Mystic raised an eyebrow, “You don’t think I could handle more advanced stuff?”

“Well, no, it’s just we start out with simple stuff and then onto more advanced stuff.”

“Plus, it helped out ponies and even griffons,” said Scootaloo before forming an awkward grin, “Besides, we don’t want to get into too much trouble with our sisters. Or honorary sisters for that matter.”

Mystic tapped her chin, thinking on what she can do, she did have the day off and this did seem better than nothing. The potion making seemed the most interesting to her. Maybe she could recreate the lost potions the alpha caused her to lose.

“I guess I’ll try some potion making,” said Mystic.

“All right!” the CMC cheered.

“But!” Mystic said, getting an idea. “Bring specific ingredients I want to try out to create the ideas I have in mind. Think of it like a game.”

“A game!” the fillies cheered.

Mystic nodded. “Go now!”

“Ah’ll go get ma potion kit!” Apple Bloom cheered, opening the clubhouse door and galloping off.

“Come on, Mystic, let’s get you to finding your cutie mark!” Sweetie declared.

As the two fillies galloped off, Mystic followed, hoping the ingredients she needed for all of her potions are available.


Next to the Sweet Apple Acres barn, Mystic mixed the ingredients together in the bowl using a cruncher, “You’re telling me there’s a zebra living out in the Everfree?!” She began adding magic to the bowl.

“Yep!” Apple Bloom chirped. “She’s the reason why Ah got so into potion making.”

“Fascinating,” replied Mystic, pouring the now green liquid into the potion kit. She levitated several of her glass containers, ready to get her healing potion back into her satchel.

“I’m impressed, Mystic!” Apple Bloom beamed. “How didja learn to make these potions?”

“I self-taught myself,” replied Mystic.

“Whoaaa!” the fillies marveled.

“Even the yellow and red potions you’d created?” Sweetie asked.

“Duh!” Scootaloo remarked.

“Yes, I did,” replied Mystic, levitating her first bottle under the potion kit to grab the green liquid. “The yellow gives me strength for a day, red warms me up and if thrown causes a fire,” the green substance dripped into and filled the first bottle. “And green heals me of all kinds of injuries.” She levitated her second bottle underneath the dripping substance to fill it. She looked at the fillies. “If you need some eyewitness proof that they work, ask Fluttershy, she’s seen the green and red ones in action.”

“Awesome!” said Scootaloo.

“Maybe once yer done with these potions, we can try to teach ya some more!” said Apple Bloom.

Mystic nodded, only half listening. “Sure.”

Soon, Mystic had a bowl of soil in front of her. She carefully held the tube in her magic grasp.

“Just remember,” said Apple Bloom, “A dash a drop and a drip.”

Mystic nodded and let the drop fall into the soil.

When the droplet hit the soil, an explosion of pink material flew right in her face.

The CMC let out some giggles as Mystic blinked. Apple Bloom flushed. Mystic spotted a nearby barrel, stood up and looked at her reflection. Her eyes widened when she saw her charred face and that her mane had been blown way out behind her.

Then, she heard laughter. Mystic snapped her head to the left to see Rainbow Dash pointing at her. The pegasus was near a pile of brown substance and the pegasus held a shovel. Flushed, Mystic lit up her horn and used a small bit of magic to cause Rainbow to trip in the air and fall into the fresh compost pile.

While Rainbow screamed in anger and disgust, Mystic held back her giggles as the CMC wondered what in Equestria just happened.


Mystic tried bowling next. She’s not played bowling before. The CMC showed her how to play and how to let the ball roll. Mystic concentrated her magic, brought the ball low and let it roll across to hit several pins.

“Not bad!” Scootaloo cheered.

“Oh, that’s nothing,” Mystic smirked.

She grabbed another ball with her magic and pulled it back, but she accidentally let go of it and it went flying back into Big Lebowski and his two friends. When it hit them, they sounded like bowling pins falling over. Mystic’s eyes widened, not daring to turn around as she knew what happened.

“Are you okay, Mr. Lebowski?” Sweetie called.

“Finland!” a random voice cried.

Mystic cringed and smiled out of embarrassment.

After helping the three ponies with Mystic’s accident, they forgave her and encouraged Mystic to use her hooves from now on. So, the CMC played a game of bowling with Mystic, and while they won by a landslide, Mystic didn’t hide from smirking some with their excitement and bright spirits.


Now, around supper time, Mystic and the CMC were sitting on a blanket in a meadow eating sandwiches and drinking grape juice.

“Wow, a full day of crusadin’ already?” Apple Bloom said, “Wow, we know how to seize’em!”

“Agreed,” said Scootaloo.

“I guess that’s what happens when something exciting happens,” Sweetie said with a wink.

Mystic didn’t say anything as she finished her sandwich and drank the last of her grape juice.

“So, did you enjoy today?” Apple Bloom asked.

“I...” Mystic chose her words carefully, “I enjoyed it some, I believe. But some... not so much.”

“Sorry about the hoofball practice,” Scootaloo winced.

“Don’t sweat it, it’s just a scratch,” Mystic waved her off.

“I can tell you enjoyed the potions the most,” said Apple Bloom.

“Wow, what gave you that idea?” Mystic asked rhetorically, causing Apple Bloom to giggle.

“Is this what you generally do? Let ponies try as many activities until they get their cutie mark?”

“Mostly, but we also encourage them in the way we encouraged you before we went out,” Sweetie explained.

“Right.”

“So, Crusaders,” said Apple Bloom, “What shall we do for Mystic tomorrow?”

“Oh oh!” Sweetie raised her hoof, “Javelin throwing! Paper Mache!”

“Tiger taming!” Scootaloo shouted.

“No, not that!” Apple Bloom cried.

“I don’t know,” Mystic smirked, “That sounds interesting.”

“Seriously?!”

Mystic just shrugged, “It’s an idea, so I gave my opinion.”

Eyes wide, the Crusaders gazed at one another. Mystic stood up.

“Well, this was an... interesting day,” she said, “But I think I’ll head back to the farm now.”

“Don’t you want to help us come up with some ideas?” Sweetie inquired.

“Fine, here’re some ideas, maybe bull riding, running treks over obstacles, and zip-lining,” Mystic said picking the first things that came to her mind. The CMC’s eyes were wide at her suggestions, but Scootaloo looked excited. “There’re some ideas. I’ve got to go.”

“Same time tomorrow?” Apple Bloom asked, causing Mystic to stop.

“Maybe. We’ll see.”


As Mystic left the Crusaders looked at one another.

“I like her,” Sweetie beamed.

“She might be a kick-flank pony, but she seems nice,” Scootaloo added.

Apple Bloom chuckled awkwardly. “So, shall we brainstorm what we’ll do next?”


Mystic was walking on the street of Ponyville, thinking of the day's events. Those girls sure were determined and excited to be working with her on her cutie mark. She felt annoyed but slightly amused at their antics. Sure she doesn’t believe she’ll get her cutie mark, but the activities with them enough to make her relax a bit after working so hard. Mystic could see that it’s around twilight time, meaning ponies should start heading home.

“Hi!”

“Yah!” Mystic jumped, whirling around to see a bright smiling Pinkie Pie only inches from her face.

“Heeeeyaaaa Mystic!” Pinkie beamed, “I’m only about thirty minutes from throwing you that spectacular party!”

Mystic growled, turning away, trying to ignore Pinkie.

“I couldn’t decide on black or orange balloons,” Pinkie went on, “Oh, but who am I kidding? You’re orange and black! I’ll use both! What was I thinking? Heeheeheehee!”

Mystic grit her teeth as she kept her mouth closed.

“Even though we haven’t been giving you a proper tour of Ponyville, I’ll name some places and ponies you haven’t met! There’s Lyra and Bon Bon, two special friends, and then there are Mr. and Mrs. Cake along with the adorable Cake twins!” Pinkie gasped. Hey, since I saw you babysitting earlier maybe you can babysit them sometime!”

Mystic wanted to shout “No!”, but she closed her mouth tight, feeling as if she’s about to erupt with anger, and this earth pony wasn’t helping matters.

“Oh, and then there’s Cheerilee’s school and where Cheerilee teaches, remember the pony you met at her birthday earlier? That’s her!” Mystic cringed as Pinkie went on, “Oh-oh-oh! And you won’t believe how long it took me to get invitations out to your party! I can tell you all the sights I went to along the way! It was a fun fun fun fun day giving all of them out!”

Rage began building up, this was going too far for the unicorn. She gnashed her teeth, her pupils shrank, and her nostrils flared.

“Oh, I can’t wait to tell you! I even got another extravagant party pony, one of my closest friends! It’s an exciting day and all to the exact moment of me talking to...”

Mystic sharply turned around, grabbed Pinkie by the shoulders facing her with a furious look, “Knock it off!”

Pinkie blinked.

...

“Wow, you’ve got a loud voice.”

“Don’t you ever shut up for once in your annoying life?!”

Pinkie gasped in horror, “Annoying?! My life isn’t annoying, it’s wonderful!”

Mystic scoffed as she let go of the pony that wasn’t bouncing anymore, “Well you’re sure as hay annoy me! You freak me out, you’re energetic and hard to keep up with!”

“But that’s who I...”

“Regardless of what you’ll say, I can’t be friends with you.”

“What?!” Pinkie screeched, making Mystic wince, “Why wouldn’t anypony wanna be friends with me?”

“I don’t know, maybe for the reasons I mentioned!” Mystic snarled.

“But what about the party?! Everypony’s gonna be waiting!”

“I lied about going to the party, all right?!” Mystic roared.

Silence. For the first time since she arrived, she managed to make the pink one shut up. Pinkie’s pupils shrank in horror as Mystic took deep breaths in to try and calm down.

“You... you lied?” Pinkie whispered.

“Yes, and I apologize for not spelling it out sooner.”

“B-But! I...” Pinkie stammered out uselessly, “What about all those times I asked you? Were those lies?”

“Yes,” Mystic stated.

“What?! Why?!”

Mystic closed her eyes tight, “Because you kept getting on my nerves!” She opened them, having a firm look. Pinkie frowned as she continued to gawk at Mystic. “I was working when you encountered me, I fought an alpha timberwolf, we were in the Apple family’s den and you just annoyed me! I wanted a quick answer out, all right?”

Pinkie grasped Mystic’s face, causing the mare to feel violated, “But I worked so hard for this party! I haven’t worked this hard on a party by myself!”

With an annoyed grunt, Mystic pulled Pinkie off her face, “I’m sorry, Pinkie, but I’m not going to the party.”

“Everypony’s expecting you!”

“Find somepony else, don’t let it all go to waste,” said Mystic.

Pinkie began to tear up, “Don’t let us down! We all enjoy parties! Will you reconsider pleaaaaaaasseeee?” Pinkie’s eyes sparkled as her pupils expanded in a pleading way.

Mystic took a hesitant step back, “No Pinkie.”

“But Mystic! Please!”

“No!” Mystic glared.

Pinkie sulked, “I worked... I worked so hard for this... everypony...”

Mystic said nothing, her look was hard but she did feel a twinge of guilt. She shook her head and frowned.

“No means no, Pinkie.”

The sound of a deflating balloon pierced the air. Mystic’s eyes slightly widened when she saw Pinkie’s poofy mane deflate into a straight mane, running past her shoulders. Tears ran down the pink pony’s cheeks as she sat down on the ground, sulking.

Mystic’s never seen a pony so broken. So, defeated. So sad. She felt another twinge of guilt but brushed it aside thinking this pony was trying to guilt-trip her.

Not knowing what to do, Mystic backed up, turned, and galloped off.

Author's Note:

Awwwww! Poor Pinkie! :fluttercry: Please don't be too angry at Mystic because of who she is and try to understand why she did what she did. Still, awful. :ajsleepy: While it was very uncalled for, she did have guilt when it was done seeing Pinkie like that.

But on the bright side, we're getting to the chapter I said was one I was looking forward to. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next