• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,260 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,260

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36 - Meanwhile and weather approaching

They’ve been running for a while. Avoiding the skrees from spotting them from above. Hellhounds roamed the land and have powerful nostrils. Silverstream, Ocellus, and Smolder had to fly to keep them off their trails, but it wasn’t for long because of getting in the skrees’ line of sight. They’re all scared and have been heading in a certain direction for a while, but aren’t too sure where they are. As the clouds above build, skrees scoured the sky, next to several trees, the Young Six ducked into a small gorge, enough to keep them hidden for now.

“That was too close!” Gallus panted.

“You don’t say,” Sandbar agreed, plopping down on his flank.

“This has gotten too much running and hiding for my tastes!” Silverstream cried, “And I love playing tag and hide and seek!”

“Not our problem now, Silverstream,” remarked Gallus.

Smolder has her arms crossed with a deep frown on her face, she hasn’t spoken a word since leaving Canterlot.

“What friends going to do?” Yona asked.

“I don’t know,” Ocellus wheezed, “But this is getting hopeless! We’ve had to hide about every ten minutes!”

“What? Nothing in your brain can figure something out?” Gallus snarled.

“Hey!” Ocellus glared.

“Not cool, Gallus,” said Sandbar.

“Well, sorry! I’m just processing that we’re on the run from bad guys while our professors are out!”

“I just want to go home!” Silverstream wailed.

“Not going to matter much since our leaders are captured!” said Gallus.

As they kept going with one another, scared and lost, Yona stepped next to Smolder.

“Smolder okay?” she asked softly.

Smolder didn’t reply, she just kept frowning and kicked a stone.

“Smolder?”

The dragoness just turned away and sat down on the rocky surface. Yona frowned and sat down next to her friend.

“Yona knows things scary and big,” she said, “But friends should always be there for each other. Just as Yona trying to be now for Smolder.”

Smolder shifted with a sigh.

“Yona want to help Smolder. But cannot if...”

“He sacrificed himself...” Smolder whispered.

“Huh?” Yona tilted her head in confusion. Smolder didn’t reply.

“I’m...I...” Gallus trailed off, Yona turned her head to look at him.

“Let’s just all take a breather here,” said Ocellus.

“How?!” Gallus demanded, “In this situation?”

“Enough!” Yona spoke up. He and the other three looked at Yona.

“Friends need to stick together and not argue,” she said, standing up.

“As mean as Gallus is now, he’s right about the situation,” Silverstream said with fear in her eyes.

“Things scary but don’t let fear hold friends back, let fear be motivator,” Yona stated.

“Be our motivator?” Ocellus asked weakly.

“Yes. Yaks know this best. I am scared too, but we need to come together and come up with plan to help one another out and save Pony land.”

“We did save it from Cozy Glow,” said Sandbar.

“But that was in the School,” said Gallus, “We’re lost in the middle of nowhere with bad guys chasing us and nocreature else is around.”

“Friends can solve things if put heads together,” said Yona, “Think friends. Do we have any way we can know where we are and come up with a plan?”

Ocellus rubbed her chin, thinking, “I...I did consider going to our kingdoms to get help, but I don’t know which one...”

“Like the griffons would ever help,” Gallus rolled his eyes.

“What about the dragons?” Silverstream suggested.

“I don’t know if they want to help,” said Ocellus, “They’re rather aggressive.” Smolder’s eyebrow twitched.

“Maybe we can split up and get our different kingdoms to help?” Sandbar suggested.

“Too risky!” said Ocellus, “If we split up, they will hunt us down one by one!”

“Friends more vulnerable separated,” Yona agreed, “Need to stick together.”

“Right...” Sandbar shot an apologetic look, Yona patted his shoulder.

“Smolder, what do you think?” Ocellus asked.

Smolder didn’t answer, she looked at them with somewhat empty eyes.

“Smolder, are you okay?”

“Just figure out something,” replied Smolder, “I’m fresh out of ideas.”

Her friends were surprised at her, she’s normally the brashest and outgoing of her friends. Now, she’s quiet and sulking.

“Smolder, can you talk about what’s bothering you?”

“No,” Smolder stated, “I’m processing and I don’t want to talk now.”

“Too bad we can’t know which kingdom to go to first,” said Silverstream.

Sandbar began thinking again, and then he perked up.

“I got it,” he said, “And don’t worry, this is a good one.”

“What is it?” Yona asked.

“What if we let Equestria decide for us?”

“And your point is?” Gallus asked.

“If we can figure out where we are by using a landmark in the land, maybe we can deter which kingdom is the closest and easiest to get to.”

Everycreature considered it, even Smolder.

“It’s not much of a plan, I know,” said Sandbar, “But if we’re going to help, we need to get to one of them and they can get a message to the next kingdom and somehow get a message to the others.”

“It seems like a long shot,” said Silverstream, not feeling as if it’d help much.

“Do you have a better idea?”

“Well no...”

“I’m with Sandbar,” said Yona, “Anycreature object or with?”

Everycreature went silent, thinking it through. If they could, they’d be at a kingdom in a heartbeat, but with skrees and hellhounds prowling around, they can’t get around as efficiently as they want. If they get spotted or caught, it’s likely game over for them.

“Come on,” said Yona, “We can be just like our professors! We can go on journeys too!”

Everycreature thought some more and the thought of being like their professors sparked something in them to continue forward.

“It’s a long shot, but I think we can do it,” said Ocellus.

“Yes!” said Silverstream, pumping up for the first time since the invasion.

Everycreature else agreed and Sandbar nodded in satisfaction. Thunder boomed overhead and rain began to fall.

“Well, this is just lovely,” Gallus deadpanned, his feathers starting to get soaked.

There isn’t much of a place to take shelter in the small gorge, so they had to move to find shelter. Picking themselves up, they began running or flying to find shelter as the rain continued to pour.


Nightfall was observing the towers as he stands on the castle balcony. They’re fully complete as they charge with dark energy. They’re pulsing as black and red envelop them and make their way to the tips dangling above the city. A cloud has begun to form flashing with red lightning and energy as if it wanted to encase the land. Nightfall felt his communication orb vibrating, he answered it, and a projection of Ghadra came up.

“What is it?” he asked.

“I’ve got my minions searching all around for those students,” Ghadra began, “I’ve seen signs that they’ve been around but I’ve not been able to find them.”

“Then why bother calling me if you hadn’t found them?” Nightfall growled.

“I believe I am close and that they won’t get far, plus, I’d like a status update on your other victims,” Ghadra smiled.

Nightfall smirked and turned to look at a projection screen cast by a spell from a jar. It had a view of Twilight, her friends, and Mystic traversing through the rainforest.

“They’re going through the rainforest,” he said, “I finally found them.”

“They made it to Oogundaa? That took them a while,” Ghadra furrowed his brow.

“It seems the forest between there and here was a little more challenging than what they thought,” Nightfall went on, glancing at Mystic, “The lot of them being led by a younger mare than they.”

“I think I know exactly what your drift is,” Ghadra smiled.

“Yes. And when it’s time...” Nightfall trailed off as his projection screen turned from the ponies to show a large dark cloud approaching, carrying deep heavy rain with it.

“Boss?” Ghadra asked.

Nightfall smirked, “Oh, it looks as if the weather is on the fritz, at least for them.” He turned the communication Orb so Ghadra could see.

“I see!” Ghadra laughed, “They’re probably going to have a big washout soon!”

“Looks like it. Which will make this more interesting.”

“What are you going to do? Are you going to confront them and give them the message?”

“Not yet. I’ll let them in on it when it’s time. And I might have a little fun with them before I even let them know,” Nightfall’s eyes lit up, targeting them like a predator, his eyes briefly looking at Mystic again.

“When you say it that way then,” Ghadra nodded.

“Get back to finding those students,” said Nightfall, “We can’t let them get away, and they’re more likely to stay together than split up. So keep the wide search area up and running.”

Ghadra nodded before hanging up. Nightfall turned his attention back to the towers and began charging his own dark energy.

“Just you wait, ponies,” he said, “This game isn’t over for you yet, it’s just gotten started.”


“Pppthahh!” Pinkie spat some leaves out, “Gross!”

“And I thought you ate everything,” Rainbow said with a smirk.

“Oh, I do! Just not things taking me by surprise!” Pinkie beamed.

Rainbow blinked.

“Since when does anythin’ take ya by surprise?” Applejack asked as if reading Rainbow’s mind.

“I don’t know! That’s why they’re so surprising!”

She lurched right into Applejack’s face, confetti following suit. The result caused the farmer to fall flat on her back. Pinkie giggled.

“See what I mean?”

“I getcha...” Applejack replied with wide eyes. Sunset helped her up.

“Watch out!” Mystic suddenly cried.

The alicorn shrieked as she and Mystic backed up, coming face to face with a few black mambas.

“Oh my!” Fluttershy yelped, recognizing their ferocious eyes.

“Seriously?!” Rainbow groaned as Mystic levitated the snakes off the ground, “Why does it have to be regular creatures that catch us off guard?”

Mystic threw the mambas off into the distance, “You’re one to face off with magical creatures, huh? But what you fail to notice is that danger is around every corner.”

“So? We can easily whoop their butts!”

“Not if they hide in the shadows and strike you without warning,” said Sunset.

“And you don’t want to encounter the legends around here, they’re tough to bring down even with magic,” Mystic added, leading them forward.

Rarity shuttered, “How much longer until we get out of this Celestia forsaken jungle?”

“Not long. A couple of hours by my estimate.”

“This is taking forever!” Rainbow complained, “We’re supposed to be looking for Starlight and all we’ve been doing is slowly working our way through a thick jungle!”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Dash,” Sunset snarled, “Because I am getting fed up with your attitude and constantly complaining! At least Rarity is bearable!”

“Hey!” Rarity cried, offended.

“Well, it’s too cramped in this forest without one of us going ahead without getting lost!”

“Exactly!” Twilight shouted, “That’s enough both of you! This is ridiculous and can we please shut up until we get the hay out of this jungle?!”

Then Mystic stopped, causing everypony else to crash into one another’s backsides, all kept themselves from falling over.

“What in the world, Mystic?” Pinkie asked. The unicorn held up her hoof, lifted her nose into the air, and began sniffing. She took some long inhales. Sunset raised her hoof to ask a question.

“Can you smell that?” Mystic suddenly asked.

“What?” Rarity asked.

“Rain on the wind. It’ll be here soon.”

“Seriously?!”

“Yep. We’d best find some shelter and high ground.”

“Why’s that?” Pinkie asked.

“Let’s just say... the weather can get out of control in a blink of an eye...”

“Ah know a bit about the weather changin’ without knowin,” said Applejack, “Ah can help with finding stable ground and gettin’ us warm and dry.”

Mystic nodded, “Then let’s get to it.” Hoping to get this done before the rain hits and to avoid a flash flood. The thought caused her to shudder.

“Already on it.”

Applejack led her friends and Mystic to higher ground and an area that is stable to hold over until morning. Similar to their previous nights, Applejack and Mystic gathered up chopped up wood and heavy vegetation to keep themselves dry. Twilight and Sunset looked around for some food to eat while the others put up a fence and alarm system in case somecreature decided to get too close.

Then the rain came like a tidal wave, dousing them all to the bone. Rarity shrieked at her mane being ruined again. The rain got heavier, becoming a torrential downpour.

“Dagnabbit! We didn’t get our dang shelter set up yet!” Applejack hollered over the rain.

“We’ll have to make due and get it set up ASAP!” Mystic shouted, her tone a little desperate.

Twilight and Sunset reunited with the others, carrying some leaves and grass in their magic. Rainbow and Fluttershy grabbed the vegetation from Applejack and the trio headed over to where their shelter’s going to be.

The rainforest was getting dark fast. As the shelter is being set up, Twilight dried her friends off with a spell she’d learned as the wind began howling.


Soon, the shelter was set up. Fortunately, Applejack had covered the firewood with large palm leaves and kept smaller pieces of wood and some paper dry, too. She got the fire going and Rainbow made some last-minute adjustments to the cover for good measure. The rain is coming down hard, the wind howled as the rainforest turned pitch black. Everypony is bunched close together, but dry and safe.

“What a washout!” Pinkie declared.

“I’ve hardly seen downpours like this before,” Rainbow stated.

“It has to be the wet season,” said Sunset.

“I hope this’ll blow over tonight,” said Fluttershy.

“I still can’t believe we couldn’t all get our bags back...” Rarity complained, wishing she could place a hood over her head, she looked at Mystic, she had her satchel with her and is levitating some potions in her magic, she had a bit of a disgusted look on her face.

“Seriously, Sunset? You couldn’t have gotten our bags out too?” she asked.

“Sorry Rarity,” Sunset apologized, “It was a tight situation and it was the only one we could find.”

“Pssh! But still, those ravenous beasts took all of our essentials!”

“Don’t worry,” said Twilight, “Sunset and I found something we could all eat.” She pulled the leaves and grass.

“Really?” Rarity facehoofed.

“Don’t worry about having to put on a coat or needing healing,” said Mystic, “With my potions, as little as I have left, we’ll be fine.” She closed her satchel and set it aside, slipping on her belt as well.

“Why does she get to keep her stuff and not us?” Rarity asked.

“Maybe because someone thought she’d need them for the future!” Pinkie stated.

“Ehh, what?”

“Nothing!” Pinkie giggled.

“Let’s simmer down, everypony,” said Applejack, “We’re gonna need our energy fresh tomorrow morning.”


Once everypony had eaten, they all began to settle in for the night. Mystic was the first to fall asleep during the wind and rain. The others fell asleep one by one, but they had a little more trouble doing so because of the weather. The rain continued to pour and the wind never ceased to howl. The last pony awake is Applejack. She could’ve fallen asleep earlier, but she’s been thinking about her family.

She loved them dearly and sometimes wonders if going on these adventures means she’ll never see them again. Ever since meeting her friends and defeating Nightmare Moon, her life never seemed to cease with exciting and dangerous adventures. Which is why she sometimes wonders if she’ll see her family again. Sure, they’ve pulled through each adventure together, but with Chrysalis and Tirek coming so close to taking over, she thought about her family during those events. She sighed, frowning. She began settling into sleep until...

The wind blew her hat off!

“No!” she wailed as it blew off into the storm.

“Pop!” she whispered, her dear hat! She wears the one hat more than any other time, and has multiple replacements, but her Pop’s hat could never be replaced.

She stood up and dived outside into the storm.

Applejack was instantly drenched as she frantically searched for her hat. She began whimpering, panicking. She tried to calm her nerves and search, but she could barely see a few inches in front of her. It’s dark and the rain was pouring. She felt around, trying to stay close to the shelter and her friends.

“Come on come on come on,” she whispered. She wiped her mane out of her eyes and continued to feel around. She stepped on water rushing almost like a river. Could her hat have been blown and carried down? She began following the water. She could feel the dirt smushing under her hooves. Step. Step. Step. The mud became slicky. Applejack made sure she watched her every step. Until…

Applejack slipped and tumbled down a muddy hill letting out loud grunts as she did so. She landed flat on her stomach, knocking the wind out of her. She’s covered in mud, but it began washing away because of the rain.

“My hat... where are ya...” she whispered.

She bit her lower lip, feeling around until she felt something. It was leather! Instantly, she grasped it. It’s her hat!

“Oh, thank Celestia!” she cried, pulling it close to her, giving it a few kisses before placing it back on her head. She began to turn around.

Until the sound of a haunting melody caught her ear. She perked up and looked behind her to see nothing but empty dark woods. She didn’t hear it again. It was odd, hearing music in the middle of the night in this kind of weather. She turned around again. And heard the music yet again. She turned back to face it and continued to hear the haunting melody.

“Huuhh?” she wondered, cocking her head to the side.

The melody grew louder. It sounded so eerie and mysterious. The farmer narrowed her eyes, trying to pinpoint where it was, despite her gut telling her to run. The melody began changing, becoming more harmonious than eerie. It was a strange sensation. It felt wonderful, alluring, and appealing to the ears.

“Mah Celestia...” she murmured; her eyes fixated upon the woods. Her surroundings began to melt away, it was becoming just her and the music, which now sounded like a true masterpiece of music, unlike she’s ever heard before. She felt she had to come to see the performer or whatever is creating the music.

She saw a soft green glow that began emitting from the trees and began to walk towards it.


Back at the shelter, Pinkie was rapidly looking around for Applejack, having been woken up by her earlier. She grew more concerned when she didn’t return. She looked at Twilight and began shaking her.

“Twilight,” she said, “Twilight!”

“Yes, I’d love some sugar, Flash,” she murmured in her sleep.

“Twilight!” Pinkie shouted.

“Gah!” Twilight shot awake, waking up Fluttershy and Sunset.

“Pinkie?” Twilight growled, her eyes bloodshot red, “What is it? It’s the...”

“Applejack’s gone!”

“What?” Twilight’s tiredness forgotten.

“Gone?” Sunset asked, “What do you mean gone?”

“She woke me up, leaving the shelter!” Pinkie told them.

“Why would she just leave?” Fluttershy asked.

“I don’t know,” said Twilight, “Wake everypony up. We need to find her.”

Despite the harsh weather, they all agreed to look for their friend.


Back with Applejack, she’s completely entranced by the music, her eyes glowing eerily green, her ears pointed right at the sound. She took a step forward.


Back with the others, everypony is looking for Applejack, calling out her name and in different pairs.

“Applejack! Come on out!” Pinkie cried as loud as she could, “This isn’t the time for hide and seek!”

“Come out, now darling!” Rarity called.

Sunset and Rainbow joined them as Mystic and Twilight looked around together, both groups staying close.

“Applejack!” Twilight called.

“Come on out, Applejack!” Mystic called. She slapped her forehead, “What is with you ponies?!” We've had enough issues already with the wolves, now this?


Applejack continued to slowly walk towards the music, not regarding anything else. The green glow got brighter.


Her friends continued to call out for her, not finding any traces of her in the weather. They can’t give up! Twilight and Mystic rejoined the others.

“I heard a river close by as we were setting up!” Twilight shouted.

“We need to hope she didn’t get too close to it!” Mystic shouted, “We need to avoid getting in a flash flood!”

“Hold it!” Pinkie shouted, “You hear that?”

Everypony began listening to where she’s looking.

“I don’t hear anything but the rain!” Rarity shouted.

“Listen!”

Mystic stepped next to her and began listening. Then...

She heard the music.

“Oh no...” she whispered, her pupils dilating. Without a word, she took off.

“Mystic!” everypony shouted. She didn’t reply and Mystic could feel them running after her.


The music is very loud and the only thing Applejack could hear. It’s so beautiful and heavenly. The green glow is right behind the trees. It’s calling to her. It’s begging her to come. She smiled dreamily, completely enticed.


Mystic arrived and spotted Applejack heading towards the woods, the green glow right behind the trees.

“Applejack!” she screamed, trying to get her attention. The others joined her, and they all gasped when they saw the scene in front of them.

“What is that noise?!” Rarity shrieked.

“Applejack!” Fluttershy called.

The farmer continued to move forward; her friends’ pleas were unheard.

“What’s going on?!” Sunset shouted.

Mystic ran forward and grabbed Applejack, she began pulling her away, and without hesitation, Twilight levitated the farmer away from the green glow. Mystic reunited with them. The music stopped and a loud roar pierced through the rainforest.

“Run!” Mystic shouted.

The herd of ponies took off, running from the figure. Trees rattled behind them before the sound of it vanished in the pouring rain.

“What was that thing?!” Pinkie cried.

“Who cares?! Run!” Fluttershy screamed.

They didn’t run back to their shelter because the creature would find them there, so they had to keep moving. The rain pelted them; lightning flashed above them. After running for a few minutes, they stopped. Twilight put a shield of magic above her friends as Mystic began to shake Applejack.

“Come on,” she said, “Snap out of it!”

“Oh, Applejack darling!” Rarity cried, not caring about her soaked mane.

Soon, Applejack’s eyes blinked and she held her head, groaning. She blinked her eyes several times before shaking her head vigorously and opened her eyes to reveal their natural green color. She blinked when she saw her friends.

“What’re y’all doin’ here?”

“Oh, Applejack!” Pinkie cried, latching onto her friend, “You’re okay!”

“Of course, Ah’m okay,” Applejack replied, confused, “What’re y’all doin’ out here? Ah thought y’all were sleepin.”

“What do you remember, Applejack?” Twilight asked.

“Ah got up ta get ma hat and now Ah’m right here with y’all,” Applejack furrowed her brows, “Look, what’s going on here?”

“Something hypnotized you!” Pinkie cried, “It made your eyes greener than usual!”

“What?!” Applejack yelped, taken aback.

“It’s a long story,” said Twilight, “But we need to...”

“Wait!” Sunset cried.

“What now?!” Rainbow groaned.

“Is it the creature?” Fluttershy whimpered.

Suddenly, they heard the noise of loud rushing water. Mystic’s legs froze in place and began shaking as everypony’s pupils dilated in horror.

“Flash flood!!” Mystic screamed.

“Everypony! Move!” Twilight screamed.

But it was too late, before everypony knew it, a large wave of water emerged from the rainforest. Mystic let out a loud yelp before it sent all of them spiraling towards the ground and the wave washed over them like a tsunami, carrying them all along. It drove them into the white rapids of the river. Due to the water moving so fast, Mystic noticed a crossroads in the river. The way left pointing southwest and the one on the right pointing to the northwest.


“Get back together!” Twilight cried.

“No! Swim parallel to the shore!” Sunset cried over the rapids, the water pushing her and Twilight further apart.

Splitting them up into two teams with four ponies each. They all screamed for the others and tried in vain to get back together as the flash flood and river carried them further and further apart from one another. Sunset, Rarity, Pinkie, and Rainbow all floated away from Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Mystic, eventually becoming obscured by the landscape and trees of the rainforest.

“Sunset! Pinkie!” Twilight cried, trying to stay above the water.

“Fluttershy! Mystic! Are y’all okay?!” Applejack coughed.

“I...I...” Fluttershy went under the water, but popped back up, “I’m here!”

Mystic didn’t reply, she wasn’t seen in the water. Everypony got concerned until she popped out with a large gasp, flailing her legs around to stay above the surface

“Watch out for rocks!” Applejack called over the rapids.

The ponies continued down the rapid river, going fast as the rain seemed to get even harder.

“We’re not going to make it if we stay here!” Twilight shouted.

The water was relentless, keeping the ponies caught in the currents, Twilight tried using a spell to get them out, but the water kept getting in her mouth and nose, breaking her concentration. Applejack swam over to Fluttershy and firmly grabbed her.

“Stay with me, Flutter!” she said, “Ah’ll get ya to safety!”

Fluttershy coughed and spluttered as Applejack began swimming in the direction of Twilight.

“What about Mystic?!” Applejack cried.

Everypony looked to where they’d seen her. They spotted her not getting any closer to them! She’s having trouble staying above the water.

“Mystic!” Twilight screamed. Applejack brought Fluttershy over to her.

“Swim!” Applejack cried.

“Help!” Mystic wailed. She went back under the water again. She went back under.

She popped up again a few seconds later with a large gasp, “Help me!” She coughed and spluttered, “I’m cramping up!!”

“Take her!” Applejack shouted, giving Fluttershy to Twilight.

“Be careful!” Twilight cried.

Applejack began swimming over to Mystic as fast as she could, the water not letting up. She spotted Mystic flailing around in the rapids and yet is unable to move anywhere! What is with this filly?! Why isn’t she coming over?!

“Don’t fail me now, muscles!” Applejack grunted, pushing herself forward. Using her mighty muscles and sheer determination, she began closing the distance on Mystic.


Mystic couldn’t stay above the water She had to hold her breath as the rapids tossed and turned. It felt like a living nightmare She held her satchel close as she tried to breach the surface. Only for a second, but not able to get a breath in.

How could I have let myself get caught in a flash flood?! she thought, her mind filled with panic and fear.

She tried flailing around, trying to grab something to slow herself down, but she couldn’t see anything or hear anything above the rushing water. She breached the air again and took in a large breath of air before the water pushed her back down again as if it’s trying to drown her.

“How could I?! I cannot let anypony know that somepony like me...” she breached the air, again letting out a cry to let them know she’s still alive.

“...Cannot swim!”

She was submerged under the water again. She began whimpering feeling as if it’s all over for her.

She felt a hoof grab her collar. She was pulled up to the surface. She let in a large gasp of air as she was held tight by somepony.

“Yer gonna be okay!” a country voice shouted.

Mystic turned and saw the familiar hat she’s grown accustomed to.

“A-Applejack?”

“Yer fine, Mystic! No need to panic anymore!”

Without thinking, she held Applejack close, trying to stay afloat.

“Yer cramps will go down!” said Applejack as she began swimming over to where Twilight is.


Mystic did not know how long the flash flood swept them away, but it felt like forever. There wasn’t any sign of Sunset and the others, causing Twilight to get worried. The terrain seemed to change around them becoming less of a rainforest and more of a forested area. The river began to slow down some, but it continued to rise.

“Hang on!” said Twilight before casting a teleportation spell.

They reappeared a distance away from the river.

Mystic collapsed onto the ground, coughing and spluttering with tightly closed lids.

“It’s over, it’s over, it’s over,” she told herself, trying to regain herself.

She didn’t know that the others were watching her out of concern. She stood up and bolted off.

Without another word, everypony ran through the torrential rain as the terrain turned from mucky to drier ground with tall strands of grass. They hardly paid any mind as the rain continued to pelt at them, Mystic scanned the open horizon and spotted some trees nearby.

“There!” Mystic shouted.

With no time to lose, Mystic led the others to the trees and took shelter underneath its branches. It didn’t stop the rain from hitting them, so she put up a forcefield around all of them. Taking in her surroundings, Twilight saw that they’re all soaked. Applejack, fortunately, still had her hat and began wringing it out. Fluttershy’s mane is flat and wet, she didn’t shake herself in consideration of her friends. Mystic’s clothes are soaked all the way through, she began to compose herself as her heart rate began to slow.

They can’t ever know! Mystic thought, assuring herself it was like a bad dream and it won’t happen again. She looked at Twilight and noticed she dried herself off with a spell and did the same to her friends.

“Did you just dry them off with a spell?” Mystic asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yep, I learned it about six months ago,” Twilight smiled, she dried Mystic off, “Pretty helpful I’d say.”

“I’d say so,” replied Mystic, examining herself, seeing she doesn’t have a drop of water on her.

“Are ya okay, Mystic?” Applejack asked, “Are yer cramps gone?”

“Mystic?” Fluttershy asked, eyes full of concern.

Mystic nodded vigorously, “Yeah. I’m fine.”

“It’s all fine.”

“Ya sure? Y’all weren’t doin’ well in those rapids,” said Applejack.

“I’m fine,” replied Mystic, “The cramps are gone.” She cleared her throat, “I can’t believe that.” She spluttered a bit, “Sorry for the trouble.”

“It’s okay,” Twilight assured her, “As long as you’re okay.”

Mystic nodded again, checking her satchel and belt to ensure she has everything she’d brought on the trip. She has everything.

Everypony began calming down a little bit. Fluttershy suddenly perked up.

“Oh, my! Our friends!” she gasped as everypony else realized they’re separated from the others.

Twilight’s eyes widened, “Oh no...” She looked out, but couldn’t see anything due to the rain and forcefield.

“I hope they’re okay...”

PreviousChapters Next