• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,246 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,246

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35 - Entering the land of Oogundaa

They’ve been moving through the woods for about three hours now, the temperature began getting warmer and the trees changing from alpines to trees that lived in warmer climates.

At this time, most animals were asleep, so was mostly quiet in the dark woods.

Mystic explained that they can build a fire in this part of the woods, so Twilight and Sunset lit their horns to light their way and keep out of danger. Soon, the sun will be rising and giving them a better path to their destination, something they were eager to get to.

“Ohh my...” Rarity yawned, “I didn’t know how tired I am...”

Fluttershy yawned, “Me either...”

“The sun will be rising in about an hour,” said Mystic.

“Do you think we can just take a quick snooze or break?” Rarity asked, “We’ve been going for a long time without any sign from those wolves.”

Twilight internally agreed, her hooves are getting sore.

“All right,” said Mystic, causing Rarity to perk up, “But we need to leave around the same time the sun rises.”

“Oh, thank goodness,” said Rarity.

Mystic led the ponies behind some bushes and they all laid down on the ground. Most of them began massaging their hooves out of exhaustion.

“How much closer, Mystic?” Sunset asked, rubbing her right front hoof.

“We should be there in about a couple of hours,” replied Mystic, “And truth be told... I need a bit of a break, too.”

Everypony began settling down and Rarity fell asleep, soon followed by Pinkie and Fluttershy.

I guess we’ll take what we can get, Twilight thought, looking out onto the blackened forest.


A pack of forty wolves was surveying the forest, some were sniffing the ground to get the ponies’ scent, however, while they did smell some of it, they ended up coming upon a stream where they’d lost the scent and had to guess on where they’d gone next.

Gunnolf stepped in front of everywolf and began scanning the woods with his piercing eyes. He looked as if he’s fully concentrated on the objective, but he couldn’t stop thinking about why Tokuta decided to let them head to Oogundaa when he told them to not go there. Though he’s never questioned his authority, he can’t help but wonder. He gazed at his right to see Accalia sniffing the ground. His eyes narrowed in slight suspicion.

“Accalia,” he said.

The she-wolf’s head perked up, “Yes, Gunnolf?”

Gunnolf cleared his throat and stepped over to her, “Kind of strange, isn’t it?”

“What is?”

“All this,” Gunnolf motioned to the other wolves, “Us, heading to Oogundaa when we were told not to head there.”

Accalia raised an eyebrow, “Really Gunnolf?”

“I mean it just seems almost out of the character of our Majestic. Not that I’m doubting him.”

Accalia sighed, “Not even I fully understand it myself, Gunnolf.” She began walking ahead, Gunnolf followed her.

“Tokuta can say and do things without explanation,” she went on, “But if you asked me to guess, I don’t think you’ll like my answer.”

“Which is what?” Gunnolf tilted his head.

Accalia snorted, “The thing about asking questions and all that nonsense he told me about.”

Gunnolf glared, “You didn’t get to him, did you?”

Accalia snarled, “No! I did not!” She glared at him, “How dare you.”

Gunnolf’s look didn’t waver, he seems to be onto her a bit.

“Look, he didn’t tell us not to go, and he knows that those ponies are trouble. We should follow through,” said Accalia.

Gunnolf sighed, “Fine. But let’s be careful as he tells us to be in lands outside the forest.”

“Fine by me.”

“Hey! I got their scent!” a wolf called from the distance. Accalia and Gunnolf looked at one another before making a beeline to meet him there. When they arrived, the other members reunited with them, and before they knew it, they were back on their targets’ trails.


Everypony feels a bit rested up, Sunset used her magic to massage all of their hooves to give them more durability for the next leg of their journey. Rarity felt the most grateful, her former red hooves now back to their normal white.

“Oh, Sunset, you’re a hoof-saver!” she cooed.

“Thanks,” Sunset smiled, “I learned it a long time ago at Celestia’s school.”

“I’d love to hear the story on how sometime.”

“Surely sometime.”

The sun was beginning to rise, its rays streaming between the trees and branches, revealing the pretty woods of green, brown, white, and yellow. Soon, everypony packed up their things and began walking again.

About a couple of hours later, the woods have gotten thinner to travel through, but that meant less cover from the pursuing wolves. The weather in Oogundaa’s rainforests is very fickle and can change without warning. Mystic spoke up.

“Okay everypony, we’re about a ten-minute walk from Oogundaa,” she said, “We’ve got a river to cross before we get there, there aren’t any trees beside it and it’s about half a mile long.”

“We’ve got a plan to get over it fast, then!” Rainbow declared, flapping her wings.

“I suppose...but know that the rainforest is hot and humid and the weather is very fickle and can change without warning.”

“I thought I heard something!” a voice rang out, “Over here!”

The ponies gasped. The wolves!

“They found us!” Rarity whimpered.

“Come on, let’s move!” said Twilight.

The Mane Six, Sunset, and Mystic maneuvered quickly yet carefully through the woods. They made sure to stay close no matter what, all of them still processing the events from Starlight to being captured, to escaping from their captives. Accalia might’ve assured them that she’d make sure they wouldn’t be caught, but that doesn’t withhold their guards.

Now, as the trees became scarce and thinner to where it was pointless to hide behind them, Rainbow noticed something.

“Hang on, has it gotten hotter?” she asked, flying over her friends

“I think it has,” replied Mystic, “We’re nearly there!”

“I think I see some new landscape!” said Twilight, “Look!” All of them looked to where she’s looking and saw to be a luscious rainforest about half a mile away.

“That’s it! We’re almost at the border of Oogundaa!” said Mystic.

“Come on!” said Twilight, moving faster, determined to rescue Starlight.

Howls pierced through the wilderness, sending chills down everyone’s spines.

“Oh no,” Fluttershy whimpered. Mystic looked around and noticed a large rock next to a tree.

“Over there, get there,” she said, moving over there as fast as she could. The others followed suit and crouched down, all bunched together and barely hidden. Getting an idea, Twilight cast an invisibility spell so they wouldn’t be seen. The wolf pack came charging out of the trees, Gunnolf leading then and Accalia next to him. They slowed down before coming to a stop, scanning their surroundings before they stopped almost right by the invisible group.

“Split up! Find them!” Gunnolf shouted, “They couldn’t have gone too far!”

“Could they be invisible, boss?” one wolf asked, making Twilight freeze a bit. Gunnolf slapped him.

“Don’t be ridiculous!” he shouted as the wolf rubbed his sore cheek, “That’s just nonsense! Now split up and meet back here!” he shouted. The wolves split up into multiple groups of two. Their pawprints got further and further away as they searched the area, and the ponies until it was completely silent before they sighed in relief. Sunset chuckled.

“Apparently they don’t know what we ponies can do,” she said.

“Indeed,” replied Twilight as they became visible again. Mystic just looked at Twilight with some bewilderment, having not seen an invisibility spell before. She looked away and said, “We’re almost there, so let’s get there.” She began walking again, still looking for danger as the rest of the group followed her.

The ponies broke out into a gallop, gaining full speed towards their destination. Twilight had her horn lit up at the ready just in case as Mystic clutched her machete in her magic.


Meanwhile, Accalia observed her comrades searching their area. She looked to where the river is and spotted the ponies. Eyes slightly widening, she turned to face Gunnolf as he looked through the woods.

“Nothing on my side,” she lied.

“Oh?” Gunnolf said skeptically before looking over, only to not see the ponies Accalia had seen. She inwardly breathed a sigh of relief.

“How could those ponies get away from us so fast?!” he snarled.

“How in the Majestic’s woods should I know?” Accalia sighed, rubbing her temples in fake confusion.

“Aagh!” Gunnolf shouted in frustration.


A minute later, the ponies have arrived at the river that bordered Oogundaa.

Mystic’s eyes widened. Her legs began shaking as she gulped.

The river isn’t as small as she thought it’d be. She had forgotten this time of year is the wet season and the river is wider and rushing because of all the rain falling. She knew that the rain was more than likely in the jungle.

All this planning and I overlook the river being too wide?! she thought, her heart beginning to hammer as her breath quickened.

Another half mile beyond the river is a beautiful, green, lush rainforest, white wispy clouds hung in the sapphire sky. It looked healthy, impenetrable, and very, very wild compared to Equestria.

“A-Are we sure about this?” Rarity whimpered, “That’s a big jungle...”

“We have to, Rarity,” Applejack affirmed, “For our friend’s sake.”

“This place looks wild!” Pinkie shouted, bewildered.

“Shh! Those wolves are still out there,” Mystic whispered harshly, placing a hoof on Pinkie’s mouth. Pinkie looked apologetic and Mystic looked at the other ponies.

“This place may look beautiful,” she said, removing her hoof from Pinkie’s mouth, “But I’ve been here before, remember? And I’ve encountered some dangerous stuff not too far from here.”

Rainbow looked at her, “Well, whatever’s out there, we’ll deal with it together.” She smirked proudly, “And we will get Starlight back.”

“Despite what you’ve seen out here,” said Sunset, “I know these ponies and their friendship and determination will get them and us through.”

“Yeah, just you wait!” Rainbow said proudly.

Mystic didn’t reply, she glanced at the river her legs shuttered again.

“Ooooooooo!” Pinkie said, smiling widely, wrapping a foreleg around Mystic, annoying her, “We’ll show this land what we’re all about!

“And we’re not turning back from Starlight,” said Twilight, walking forward, followed by Sunset.

“Okay,” said Mystic, pushing Pinkie away, “But we need to find another way across!”

“What?” Twilight asked.

“I mean the river is too wide, we’ll never make it across!” Mystic insisted, trying to hide her shaking legs.

“Those wolves are after us, and we need to move!” said Sunset.

“Besides!” Rainbow said, showing off her wings.

Mystic’s eyes widened in horror as the ponies made a beeline for the river without hesitation. She shook even more despite knowing that some of the party have wings.

Dang it...why did I have to make a misstep in my plan? she thought. Despite her shaking legs and shortened breath, she pressed forward after them. She arrived and saw the river’s power. To make it worse, it had white rapids.

Mystic gulped again.

But nopony picked up on her strange moment.

“Okay,” said Rainbow, “I think Twilight and I should fly each of the non-fliers across.”

“Good idea,” said Twilight, she looked at the others, “Who wants to go first?”

Pinkie and Mystic raised their hooves. Twilight grabbed Mystic while Rainbow grabbed Pinkie. Both flew across the river with mostly no problem, albeit Twilight was slower. They placed Pinkie and Mystic on the ground.

Oh, thank goodness! Mystic thought, taking some steps back from the water.

Twilight and Rainbow went back and grabbed the others two by two until everypony was across the river.

“Whew!” Twilight huffed, plopping down on the bank.

“No time fer resting,” said Applejack, “Those wolves could be back any minute.”

“I don’t think we need to worry about a minute,” said Pinkie.

“Why?”

Pinkie pointed to the wolves searching on the other side of the bank. Everypony tensed up.

“Quick! Into the rainforest!” said Sunset.

Nopony needed to be told twice before they took off once again, (when will the running end?!) However, on the other side of the river, the wolves spotted the ponies! Howls pierced the air again as the ponies breached the border of the jungle.


Gunnolf caught a glimpse of the ponies before they’d entered the jungle. He growled and kicked the ground.

“Everywolf! Regroup!” he ordered.

Everywolf made their way to him, soon all of the members were together.

“That river is flowing very fast,” he began, “We could swim with no problem, but we need to find a calmer place to cross over.” He sighed, rubbing his temples, “Flighty little ponies, they got lucky with the river.” He formed a determined look, “But let’s not this dissuade us from our objective! Twenty of you go left on the river and the other twenty to the right. Howl if you find a calmer place to cross that river!”

“Yes sir!” they all said in unison.

The wolves dispersed as Gunnolf turned with a full-on glare to where the ponies had disappeared to.


Having run about twenty minutes, they’re officially in Oogundaa. Mystic kept her word and got them there. Now, they’re traversing a thick rainforest with deep vegetation, tall thick trees with a slimy ground in some areas, some areas are mucky with dirty water, while vines almost touched the ground. Sounds of all kinds of birds came from every direction, letting out their songs, giving the rainforest a beautiful ambiance. It’s hot, humid, and wet, causing the ponies to sweat. Ahead of the herd, Mystic is slicing through vines and some bamboo to clear a path.

“Good gracious!” Fluttershy marveled.

“This is incredible!” Applejack added.

“My hair!” Rarity complained, feeling her mane becoming a bit frizzy.

“So, the river was huge because it’s a wet season for the rainforest?” Rainbow asked Twilight.

“Yep,” replied Twilight, brushing her mane out of her face, “You’d find it surprising on how small rivers can be in the dry season. I don’t think those wolves will have an easy task in getting around that river.”

“Let’s hope not,” said Sunset.

“Again, I’m so sorry about your visit...” Twilight frowned.

“Twilight, how many times do I have to tell you it’s okay?” Sunset asked with an assuring look, “This is not your fault.”

“I know but...” she trailed off, “I don’t know...”

Rarity shrieked, causing everypony to stop in their tracks and see she has her hoof stuck in some mud.

“Again?” Rainbow facehoofed.

“That’s the third time, Rarity,” said Applejack. Rarity looked up and blushed, “Well, I’m sorry! I am not a rainforest kind of pony! I should be Ponyville with civilization! Canterlot!” Applejack rolled her eyes and helped her out of the muck.

“We need to get out of the thick stuff,” said Applejack, “Then we’ll clean ya up.”

“Oohhhhh! “Rarity whined, “But it’s just much more preferable in the woods we were in earlier!”

“And be at the top of the wolves’ menu,” said Mystic, slicing some bamboo aside.

“Thanks for the reminder!”

“You’re welcome!” Mystic replied in a chipper voice, Rarity groaned loudly.

“Oh, come on this isn’t so bad!” Pinkie beamed, “It’s just like any other woods or wilderness only warmer and wetter!” Pinkie jumped into a puddle, splashing everypony else, causing Rarity to gasp in horror.

“Pinkie!” she shrieked.

“What? Splashy splashy!” Pinkie giggled playing around in the puddle.

A loud trumpet noise pierced the rainforest’s atmosphere. Mystic looked ahead and spotted the large silhouette of an African forest elephant.

“Oh, my, an elephant!” Fluttershy beamed.

“Don’t move too fast,” Mystic warned, “Animals and residents here don’t like outsiders.”

“But...why?”

Mystic looked at her incredulously, “Seriously? Have you not learned from the wolves and the bear?” Fluttershy frowned and Mystic turned back to look at the elephant. It began moving on and her eyes never left until it vanished into the trees.

“Okay, let’s move.”

As they traversed the rainforest, they heard sounds of gorillas fighting one another, Fluttershy knew all about them and what happens during gorilla fights. Of course, it didn’t take too long for some of them to begin their usual antics.

“I think we can have a blast here someday!” Pinkie stated, “It seems doable for a party or a sleepover!”

“In a place like this?” Sunset wondered, looking around at the thick vegetation.

“Sure! Just some clearing out a little pepping up, and wham! A good place to do both and more things!”

“I wouldn’t want to disturb the fragile ecosystem of the environment,” said Fluttershy.

“Gah!” Rarity freaked out, “My mane!”

“What is it now, Rarity?” Twilight asked, turning to look at Rarity only to lightly gasp when she saw the unicorn’s hair.

It’s completely frizzy, puffed out, and waving wild around her head. Twilight held back a snort, remembering when she had a messed-up mane when she first met Rarity.

“Golly,” said Applejack, “What the heck happened, Rarity?”

“It’s the darn humidity!” Rarity complained, “I’ve had my hair get like this only once before and I hoped it’d never happen again!”

“But didn’t you know that a rainforest would do something like this?” Rainbow asked.

“Yes?”

“Then why didn’t you say anything?!”

“Excuse me! We were in the middle of being hunted by wolves and I didn’t think it’d be appropriate to tell you while we’re on a mission to find Starlight!” Rarity hissed.

“Do you have something in your bag for it?” Twilight asked.

“I do,” said Rarity, “But it’ll take me a while to get it back the way it was!”

“Hey! Look at that!” Pinkie cried cheerfully.

Everypony looked past Mystic to see a waterfall and a pool of water, it felt cool, refreshing.

“This is the waterfall where I stop and get some water, as well as cool off a bit,” Mystic explained.

“Mystic, this doesn’t look dangerous, this looks wonderful,” Fluttershy smiled.

“We’re only at the beginning of the jungle,” Mystic deadpanned. She cleared her throat, “Go get refreshed and more water for the journey. There’re also some berry bushes nearby too.”

“Wow, you do know the way!” Pinkie cheered, bouncing along, “I’m going for a swim!”

“Wait for me!” Applejack called, followed by Sunset, Twilight and the others, besides Rarity and Mystic.

“Watch out for snakes nearby!” Mystic warned.

“Snakes?!” everypony cried out.

“Seen them a few times! Just stay close to the falls and you’ll be fine!”

Everypony understood and made their way towards the falls. Pinkie dived in, followed by the rest of her friends. Mystic slowly walked up to another edge of the pool and sat down. She’s sitting closer to the waterfall and at the shallowest part of the pool.

Just before she could begin checking her equipment--

“Oh, for crying out loud!”

Mystic turned to see Rarity fumbling around with some hairspray cans, she rolled her eyes and began sharpening her machete.

“Mystic, darling!” she cried. Mystic sighed, sticking her nose into the air before turning around, “Can you be a dear and help me out here?” Rarity’s holding five hairspray cans.

“You packed that many hairspray cans?” Mystic asked incredulously.

“A lady packs what she needs!” Rarity claimed.

“More like what she wants.”

“Can you help me spray my hair to get my frizzy hair down?”

“Uhm, no.”

“Ohhh,” Rarity lunged right at Mystic, getting down on her knees and placing her hooves on Mystic’s chest pleading, “Pleeeaaassseeee! I need help!”

Mystic’s eyes were wide and she instantly felt uncomfortable, “Uhhh...just jump in the water. It’ll go down.”

Rarity gasped in horror then got in Mystic’s face, “Bite your tongue! My hair is for decorative purposes only!”

“Look, I don’t know anything about what you’re talking about. I don’t even know how to even get rid of frizzy hair!”

“I can teach you! Just follow my instructions!”

“Gah!” Mystic shot to her hooves, “What is wrong with you?”

“My hair! That’s what’s wrong!” Rarity cried.

“Get one of your friends to help you!”

“They’re wet and I’d love to get my hair under control first!”

“Just jump in the water! It’ll help!”

“I will once I get my fabulous mane looking fabulous again!”

“You’ll ruin your hair again!”

“I’ll keep it above the water!”

“Why can’t you do it yourself?”

“I’ve not dealt with hair this frizzy on my head by myself! It’s a two-pony job!”

“Gah! What do you need then?”

“Just begin braiding it and use the conditioner afterward.”

“Then which one is the conditioner?”

“Both of these!” said Rarity, holding up the red can and orange can.

“Which one?”

“The one that screams less frizziness!”

“How the hay should I know that?”

“Come on! Help me out! I’m dying over here!” Rarity showed her mane for emphasis.

“Gah!” Mystic loudly cried, taking a step back, “Holy! Flying! Catfish, filly!” She levitated Rarity up into the air, “Get in that water!” She tossed Rarity into the water, causing the mare to shriek before landing with a SPLASH!

Mystic let out a loud exaggerated noise before plopping down on her flank.

“The needs of prissy ponies these days!” she stated.

Rarity reemerged from the water, her mane completely flat, with a very annoyed look on her face.

“Gee Rarity,” said Sunset, “Getting a pony that doesn’t know anything about makeovers to help you with your mane? Smooth.”

“I was desperate...” Rarity muttered with a nicker, spotting the hairspray cans floating in the water.

The Mane Six and Sunset began truly enjoying the cool water despite the humid jungle. Sunset began helping Rarity with her mane while Mystic went behind the waterfall and entered the shallows without her usual attire on. The water only went up to her midsection as the others swam.

“Hey, Mystic,” Sunset called, “Why don’t you come over here with us?”

Mystic held back a shudder, “No thanks. I’ve always cooled off in this part of the pool.”

Everypony looked at each other with confused looks but shrugged it off.

Mystic pleasantly sighed finally enjoying the coolness of the water. They wouldn’t stay for more than ten minutes because they have a long journey ahead of them.

When they finished refreshing themselves, Mystic emerged from the water and went behind the falls before the others could see her blank flank and later remerged with her usual attire and weapons. They gathered their canteens, and filled them all to the brim with water.

Rarity had her mane restored as much as it could possibly be thanks to Sunset, she sent a “humph” at Mystic, to which the mare snorted back, mockingly.


They went on their way and the rainforest slowly started to get thinner to the point where Mystic didn’t need to cut anything down anymore. However, Mystic kept them from avoiding hidden steep hills, twisted branches poking out of the ground, and areas where the ground could sink if they weren’t careful. For the next couple of hours, the ponies kept seeing nothing but rainforest as well as the occasional okapi herd, gorilla, and crowned eagle. Fluttershy is taken with the jungle.

“Oh, my, all the animals I’ve never met I could meet here,” said Fluttershy.

“Look out!” Applejack shouted.

What the pegasus failed to see was a large brown snake mere inches from her head, Applejack tackled her before the snake snapped its fangs. Mystic whirled around and eyes widened at the size of it. It began lowering itself down, Fluttershy tried using her Stare on it, but her confidence wavered a bit. Twilight blasted the snake with her magic, sending it flying into the tree line.

“Ya okay, Flutters?” Applejack asked, helping her up.

“I don’t know...” Fluttershy muttered.

A deep splash came from the ponies’ right. They all turned to see bushes beginning to fall aside. Mystic’s eyes widened again as the large animal got closer.

“Dodge!” she shouted.

Everypony lunged either to the left or right just before a massive hippopotamus lunged right at them with its massive, gaping mouth It snapped shut as it charged through the rainforest, destroying trees and knocking them aside!

“Get out of my territory!” the hippo roared as he whirled around.

“We were just passing through!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Nocreature should pass through! No exceptions!”

“Wait!” Fluttershy pleaded, “We’ll just be on our way and out before you know it!”

“It doesn’t matter,” the hippo growled, crouching a bit, “All who enter must die!”

Everypony gasped.

“Run!” Sunset shouted. Everypony began making a beeline as Sunset stood her ground. She charged her horn.

“Wait!” Mystic cried.

Too late, Sunset fired a beam of magic, only for it to make the hippo angrier and charge faster!

“Jiminy Christmas!” she screamed as the hippo got right on her, she teleported out of its way as it charged after the other ponies!

The hippo began gaining speed. Rainbow turned around and flew right at him, landing a few solid punches, but barely making him flinch! He snapped his jaws at the pegasus, only to miss by an inch. Twilight spotted a short gorge they could jump across. She began running in that direction and the others followed suit. The hippo is almost upon the ponies as it felt several magic blasts hit his rear end. He loudly roared as the ponies entered a swampy area of the rainforest. The hippo turned to face Sunset.

“Pick on somepony your own size, flabby boy!” Sunset taunted.

“Flabby boy?!” the hippo roared, “You’re kidding me, flabby boy?!” He turned to make his way to Sunset, the unicorn spat a raspberry at him before teleporting to the other side of him. He slipped and crashed to the ground, sliding along the muck. Sunset ran over to her friends and they all made it across the gorge. The hippo picked himself up and charged again. When he reached the gorge, he jumped but was too heavy and fell into it, landing in the muck with a SPLOOT!

“Gah!” he shouted, “Not again!”

“Haha!” Rainbow laughed, “See ya!”

The ponies left the area and continued on their way to find their friends.

The rainforest, while still thick with vegetation and smaller trees, has thinned out enough to where they didn’t need to worry about anything. The trees are tall, red-barked and like umbrellas, along with some palm trees. Pinkie hopped along, humming a merry tune and enjoying the environment.

“Hey, Mystic,” said Twilight.

“Yes?”

“You mentioned a while back that when we get here that we’d pretty much be free roam,” said Twilight, “Are you still planning on that?”

“When we get past this rainforest, yes. I can help with the land and what lies ahead, but things are more open in the savanna and you can see danger from further away.” She looked at Twilight, “Provided you look out for the acid-spitting worms.”

“Acid spitting worms?” Rarity’s eyes widened.

“They mostly come out at night, but you never know.”

“Is there anything else dangerous we should know about?” Twilight asked, “And why don’t you tell us about these sooner?!”

“First, because you don’t ask, and plenty, such as the ahools that fly during the night, the Grootslang and Eloko for those who don’t know about it.”

“Grootslang?” Rainbow asked, “What’s that?”

“It’s a large creature that’s the mix of an elephant and a snake.”

Pinkie laughed, causing Mystic to look appalled.

“That doesn’t sound scary, silly Mystic!” she laughed, “That sounds silly!”

“Oh, it’s not a joke,” Mystic warned, “You don’t want to encounter one.”

“Oh, sure! I bet I’d encounter one and laugh at how silly it looks!” Pinkie perked up, “Oh, and maybe I could show it and this land how great joy can be!”

Mystic raised her hoof to speak but she sighed, shook her head, and kept walking.

“Not to mention we have an evil King that wants to eliminate us,” said Rarity.

“And we’ll just kick his sorry butt once we encounter him and his Pride!” Rainbow declared.

“Let’s just focus on the task at hoof, Rainbow,” Twilight warned.

“I can multitask!”

The alicorn and pegasus began talking as Mystic continued to lead them. For the next hour or so, she led them around rushing rivers, over hills, and through thick vines. Pinkie began swinging from them, enjoying herself while Mystic had to cut Rainbow free from the vines. Soon, they came upon the rainforest opening up some to an open field.

“And then I was like oatmeal are you crazy?” Pinkie concluded.

“Pinkie, I’d love to hear more, but my head can’t take much more of your talking as of right now,” Twilight muttered.

“Sorry! I sometimes don’t know when I’ll talk, sometimes I’ll chat and chat until my ears fall off! Which reminds me that...”

“Pinkie!” Applejack covered her mouth, “Hush!”

Pinkie made a noise apologetically as Sunset caught up with Mystic. The younger mare came to an abrupt stop, causing Sunset to fumble over her hooves and fall to the floor.

“Quiet now,” Mystic whispered.

“Why?” Fluttershy asked, stepping up.

“Look.”

Everypony looked, and they saw an open luscious field with multi-colored flowers waving in the breeze, the sky is clear. In the field are elephants showing off their dominance, zebras drinking from a water hole while gemsbok and okapi herds fed in the tall grass and flowers. A clan of gorillas was eating their food as some young ones played, and monkeys swung from the vines, heading over to the zebras. Twilight and her friends are amazed to see a spot in the rainforest where a bunch of animals came together.

“Wow, Mystic,” Twilight marveled, “Animals coming together?”

“They come to eat and drink in areas around the land,” replied Mystic.

“Kind of sounds familiar to what you’ve learned a little about back at the School, huh?” Twilight smirked.

Mystic rolled her eyes in response.

“As you can see,” Twilight went on, “Creatures getting together can happen, and that is the very seed that can grow into friendship.”

“Twilight knows what she’s talking about,” Rainbow stated.

“And this shows that maybe you were a little off base when you told us about this land,” Twilight smiled, feeling a little hopeful.

“Whatever suits you, I suppose,” replied Mystic, looking around where to head next.

A loud grunt pierced the atmosphere, soon it turned into a loud growl. Everypony looked to their left to see a cape buffalo herd they’d not noticed before. One of them has gotten aggressive towards the animals in the field as some gemsbok began harassing the okapi.

“Hide,” Mystic whispered.

Everypony hid in some bushes and began observing. The buffalo began charging into the field, thrashing their curved horns in the direction of the animals in the field. Some gorillas went to challenge them, but they were easily overwhelmed while the females began escaping with their young. Then, the whole area began changing. Some buffalo fought one another, zebras began running, okapis and gemsbok began standing off against one another.

The monkeys began chasing the little zebras and slapped them multiple times, making them whinny. All of them had aggressive looks on their faces and no desire to slow down. Mystic gave a knowing look to Twilight and the others before looking back again. Some cape buffalo began attacking antelope and smaller monkeys while some fought one another. What had been a beautiful sight, had begun to turn into a battleground. Some members in the gorilla clan began fighting with one another, even those who were brothers. The elephants charged at them and broke them apart, only for some gorillas to begin attacking. All this while the ponies observed. Twilight noticed that there was friendship among the citizens. What happened? How could the magic of friendship fade here? She glanced at Mystic, who had a cold look at what’s going on. She doesn’t know what she’s thinking but wants to know what.

“We’d better get out of here,” said Mystic. Without arguing, the ponies slinked back into the shadows. They didn’t say a word for the next few minutes until...

“That was just awful...” Fluttershy stated.

“It was...” replied Mystic, “But it’s just how things are...”

Fluttershy glared, she gritted her teeth and stepped up to Mystic, stopping her in her tracks.

“How could you sound nonchalant about this? This is serious! The land needs healing!” she scolded.

“The land is beyond saving,” replied Mystic, “Racial issues, confrontation on who owns what, citizens running wild, some protecting what they have left. Oogundaa was once a paradise, but you’re starting to see what’s happened to it.”

“But why?!” Fluttershy demanded, “Why did Oogundaa have to go down this path?! There must be a reason! We need to get the story and...”

“Fluttershy...”

“...figure out a way to find out how to heal this land! Who knows how beneficial it could be!”

“Fluttershy...”

“I mean, Equestria became what it was because ponies overcame their hatred and differences!”

“Yeah!” Rainbow agreed.

“Fluttershy!” Mystic shouted, causing the mare to shut up. She grits her teeth, “Look, this is not the time or place to be discussing this. We’re being hunted in a harsh wilderness and you want to talk about kindness and friendship at this time?”

“There’s always time for that,” replied Fluttershy.

“Regardless,” Mystic spoke up, “I’m tired of going back and forth with you and the others on Oogundaa’s state, it’s getting really repetitive and old.” Fluttershy raised her hoof, but Mystic stopped her, “Enough! I’m ending this debate right now! For one, these are not ponies, you’ve seen how mean they are to one another! Second, Oogundaa would benefit from getting together if the land were restored and if sides could ever come to an understanding.” She turned away harshly, “Face it, your ways of friendship just don’t work here.”

“Mystic, I think you’re being a little too rough here,” said Sunset.

Mystic’s eyebrow twitched, “It’s just the way it is. Nothing more. Nothing less.” She looked at Fluttershy, “I didn’t want to say it before because I wanted to be a little polite...” She sighed thinking of a once kind soul that couldn't see the world the way it was. Mystic looked at her right in the eye, “You’re a kind soul, Fluttershy. But I’ve come to know that overbearing kindness leads to naivety.” She looked away to keep from looking at Fluttershy, the image of Sunshine Smiles appeared in Mystic's mind and she had to compose herself a little to keep from showing sadness, “Kindness only goes so far, but too much of it, may lead to a greater tragedy than what’s already been brought.”

Everypony behind her gasped at her statement, obviously not believing what they’d heard.

“Mystic, you apologize right now!” Twilight demanded.

“What’s there to apologize for?” Mystic asked, “That I’m just telling you what is and isn’t? Is that what your ways have brought you that when somepony else presents an alternative that you rush to defend it without consideration?”

“We’re defenders of Equestria!” said Rarity, “It’s...”

“Yes, defenders. But despite that, you must consider the other possibilities that you could not be completely right.”

“We could say the same about you,” said Rainbow.

Mystic looked at Rainbow and held back a snarl out of a small sense of regret, thinking of what Sunshine would probably say to her, “I aim to be as right as I can be. No more discussions about any of this or I will clip you, pegasus.” She showed off her machete for emphasis, put it back, and began walking forward.


Rainbow flew up to Twilight, who was looking at a frozen Fluttershy.

“What’re we gonna do? We can’t let her get away with those statements,” said Rainbow.

“We can’t,” said Sunset, stepping up, “We just need to find a way to help her see.”

“How?”

“I don’t know...” Twilight muttered, baffled at how cold Mystic is being.

“I told you, she can’t be trusted,” Rainbow whispered.

“We’ve gotten this far.”

“So? We don’t even know how far in Starlight is. She could be taking us in to end us!”

“Are you coming?” Mystic called back.

“Coming Mystic!” Sunset called back, “Rarity got stuck again!” Rarity shot Sunset a glare and the mare looked apologetic. When they didn’t hear a response, Sunset figured she’s satisfied with the answer.

“We could just ditch her and find Starlight on our own!” Rainbow whispered.

“Just leave her out here by herself?” Fluttershy asked.

“She’ll be fine and so will we!”

“I don’t think so,” said Pinkie, “We all need to stick together!”

“Yeah, we do, but not with her!”

“Shut up, Rainbow,” Twilight glared, “We’ll stay with her and deal with what comes our way.” She began walking forward.

“Just so you can have Starlight back without thinking of our safety?”

Twilight stomped on the ground, and glared harder at Rainbow, “None of this is safe, Rainbow! And without Mystic, we wouldn’t have gotten so far! Now, let’s get moving!”

Author's Note:

Well, there you go. We've officially arrived in Oogundaa, and I had fun writing Rarity and Mystic's interactions. XD They give me a good chuckle whenever I think of that scene.

And I should let you know, when it comes to Oogundaa and this adventure, Mystic will display some more coldness and harshness because of it, and consider her as if she's "in the zone" while on a dangerous mission.

Next time, we check in on Starlight. :raritywink:

Anywho, leave your thoughts below! :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next