• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,246 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,246

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17 - Meeting new friends

The next morning, after a warm breakfast, Mystic was in the restroom brushing her teeth with the toothbrush that Applejack had given her.

Mystic could and couldn’t believe that Applejack allowed her to sleep in. She didn’t say it, but she was grateful. Still, it stunk that she’s going to have to repay the loan.

Mystic turned the sink on, grabbed some water in her hoof and put it into her mouth. She swished it and the toothpaste for a few seconds and spat it into the sink.

Straightening her shirt collar, Mystic stepped out of the bathroom and walked down to the den.

“Mystic! Mystic!” a familiar voice shouted.

“What is it, Apple Bloom?” Mystic asked, turning to the filly.

“Ah’ve got some friends Ah want ya to meet! It’ll only take a couple of minutes!”

“All right,” replied Mystic. The filly squeed, grabbed the unicorn by the hoof, and excitedly pulled her out.

When Mystic got outside, she saw Sweetie and Scootaloo standing nearby, and, next to Big Mac, is a whole herd of fillies and colts all of different colors and races.

“Everypony!” Apple Bloom announced, “Here’s our guest, Mystic!”

All of the kids turned to see her. They all let out their greetings as they walked over to meet Mystic.

“Mystic,” Apple Bloom said, standing in front of the herd, “I’d like you to meet all of our campin’ buddies for the next couple o’ nights!” She began to point at each individual pony, “This is Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Chipcutter, Button Mash, Tender Taps, Petunia Paleo, and Gilded Lily!”

Mystic paused at Gilded Lily. She was a filly unicorn with a yellow coat and flowing orange mane and tail.

“H-Hello,” Gilded said with a shy look.

Mystic smiled. “Hi.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mystic,” said Silver Spoon. “Are you like what Apple Bloom has told us?”

“What has she told you?”

“That she’s to be helpin’ me with the farm today?” came Applejack’s voice.

“Applejack! Yer ruinin’ the moment!” Apple Bloom complained.

“Sorry, but we’ve burnt enough daylight as is,” Applejack placed a hoof on Mystic’s shoulder. “So, y’all go have fun while Mystic and I work.”

The kids groaned in slight disappointment.

“Let’s go,” Applejack said to Mystic. The farmer turned to the kids. “Stay safe, please!”

“No need to get overprotective,” Apple Bloom rolled her eyes.

Big Mac approached the kids and motioned them to follow. As the kids left, they looked back at Mystic, and the older unicorn kept her eyes on Gilded Lily.


As she headed down Canterlot castle’s massive corridor towards the throne room, Twilight approaches with some sense of urgency, nervousness, yet determination to settle things with Celestia. She has a saddlebag with some notes listing things to mention in the meeting with her as well.

Because Celestia’s been her mentor throughout her entire magic studies, she is always willing to listen and guide her. Even as a princess, Twilight at times felt as if she were still under Celestia’s wing learning as her pupil. Spike decided to stay in Ponyville and help Rarity with what she needed.

Twilight neared the entrance to the throne where two soldiers stood guard. Twilight smiled and nodded at them which they responded with small smiles before resuming their professional composure. As if on cue, a light-colored unicorn with a gray mane and mustache opened the door, he had on a dark red coat and his cutie mark is a pocket watch.

“Ah, Princess Twilight,” he greeted with a small bow.

“Just Twilight please,” replied Twilight, “Good to see you again, Kibitz.”

“Likewise, Princess,” replied Kibitz, causing Twilight to roll her eyes, he’s the majordomo and the Royal Sisters’ scheduling advisor, and he can be stubborn at times.

Twilight set her gaze towards the thrones of Celestia and Luna, with the former occupying her throne. Luna’s probably had a long night of watching ponies in their dreams.

Twilight approached the throne with a smile, “Princ-” she cut herself off and corrected herself, “Celestia, I’ve arrived for our meeting.”

Celestia lightly chuckled as a smile formed on her face, “I can see that, Twilight.”

“Sorry,” Twilight smiled sheepishly, “I was just thinking how I still feel like your student at times.”

“It’s okay, but you know to always correct yourself,” Celestia’s smile grew.

“Anyway,” said Twilight, opening her bag with her magic and pulling out a couple of notes, “I came here to talk to you about a guest we have staying in Ponyville and what went down with Hong and his soldiers.”

Celestia nodded, her smile disappearing, “And I heard that the threat of the lions and lionesses has been taken care of?”

“Yes, and Flash has his soldiers looking out for any more that’ve gotten away.”

“I had a word with him earlier this morning and he told me that the major cities and nearby towns are keeping a lookout for a couple of days.”

“Okay, very good,” Twilight switched notes to look at, then back at Celestia.

“Celestia, what I did for Mystic...I told Hong off and wouldn’t let him take her back,” she said.

“Really?” asked Celestia, “Why not?”

“Because Mystic seemed rather upset and had pain in her eyes when discussing her story about him,” Twilight explained.

“But what about Hong? You mentioned he accused Mystic of horrible deeds such as murder, right?” Celestia’s look became a little grim.

“Yes...”

“Twilight, you know about sheltering potential criminals with that kind of record...”

“But I’ve seen how pained she looked, she helped us stop an invasion and I trust my friends’ judgments.”

Celestia sighed and her expression softened some, “You mentioned that in your letter. I still think this could be risky and must be handled with the utmost care.”

“Rarity also mentioned he seemed a bit deranged,” Twilight added.

Celestia raised her hoof to her chin, thinking, “Did Hong say that she was probably just trying to cover her tracks?”

Twilight huffed, “Oh, yes. He was very insistent, but with what’s been mentioned here and disrespecting me and my friends, those were a partial reason why I chose to believe Mystic.”

“Partial?” asked Celestia, but she already suspects what Twilight will say.

“Well,” Twilight rubbed her foreleg, “My friends Fluttershy and Applejack have made some connection, especially Fluttershy. In addition, we’ve handled worse situations before, such as when Fluttershy reformed Discord.” Celestia smiled a little as Twilight continued, “Mystic might not be the easiest pony to get along with, but I believe Fluttershy is right about offering friendship to her like we do best.”

“I see,” said Celestia.

“I myself have plans for getting Mystic into some kind of program to get her started on a new path,” Twilight explained, “I know I told off a general of a proud city and...” Twilight trailed off, her eyes widening and pupils dilating, “Oh my, gosh! I told off a powerful leader of another land! What if he does something rash?!” She began hyperventilating, she can’t believe this didn’t hit her until now, “He could threaten my friends and I! He could probably wage war!”

“Twilight...”

“I know I did what I had to but, I don’t think I’ve told anypony outside Equestria out like that!”

“Twilight...”

“I need to contact Starlight and think of a spell that’ll...”

“Twilight!” Celestia shouted, causing the hyperventilating alicorn to look up at her with wide eyes.

Clearing her throat, Celestia spoke in a calm tone, “Twilight, I’m sure you did the right thing, but I believe we should be a little careful if Mystic’s background is as Hong says. But I’m doubtful about that.”

“Yeah...” Twilight huffed. She placed a hoof on her chest and began doing her breathing technique.

“Well, with Mystic’s actions on saving the kids, and the belief Fluttershy has of showing Mystic friendship, I will allow you to continue with it.”

Twilight finally calmed down, “Thanks. I promise you I’ll make sure that she’ll not cause any more problems.”

“I’m sure you will,” then Celestia frowned, “But Twilight...I am concerned with what I’ve been hearing about you and the School of Friendship.”

“Me too.”

“I hate to mention this, but the leaders of the other kingdoms have been concerned about their own students’ safety now,” said Celestia, causing Twilight’s eyes to widen again.

“Prince Rutherford and Thorax thought about pulling Yona and Ocellus out of the School, but I assured them that you’ve got it under control.”

At this, Twilight relaxed some, “We do. I’ve been scanning the School to see if there are any more issues, but I haven’t detected anything, but I’ll make sure for a while now. In addition, Mr. Bullion’s sons haven’t been much trouble for a few days. I want you to know that he knows what his sons are doing but ponies wouldn’t believe us because of his connections.”

Celestia furrowed her brow, “And I’m very sorry to hear that. I’ve been doing what I can, but there’s only so much I can do...”

“We’re very appreciative of your support, but we will find a way to turn things in our favor.”

“I’m confident you will,” Celestia smiled.

“Well, that about concludes our meeting,” said Twilight placing her notes in her bag.

“Oh, but would you like to stay a little for some tea?” Celestia asked, “I have a little time before I have to meet with the mayors of Manehattan and Fillydelphia.”

Twilight beamed brightly, “Sure!”

Before Celestia could get up, Luna entered the throne room. The regal blue alicorn had a frown on her face.

“Luna?” said Celestia.

“Sister,” replied Luna.

“Is there something wrong?” Twilight asked.

Luna sighed. “Nothing. Just thinking.” She walked up to Celestia. “I can’t stop thinking about them.”

Celestia put her foreleg around her sister’s neck. “I know. But didn’t you say you hadn’t had any recently?”

“Any what recently?” Twilight asked, inclining her head.

“Visions,” replied Luna. “I only had them for a few days and they only lasted for around ten seconds.”

“Really?” Twilight’s eyes slightly widened.

“Yeah,” replied Luna. “Though I know the current threat of the lions has been detained and I hadn’t seen anything else observing the land.”

“Did you contact Discord about the visions?” Celestia asked.

Luna nodded, “Yes I did, and he told me he doesn’t detect any magical imbalances or anything else that would lead to trouble. It’s clear.” She sighed heavily, “I know I’m probably overreacting...”

“Well, I think it’s good I did find out about this now,” said Twilight.

“Well,” said Celestia, “We all need the support we can get.”

Twilight cast a caring smile, “Well, I’ll let my friends know and if we hear or see anything, we’ll let you know immediately.”

Finally, Luna smiled, “Thank you, fair Twilight. Give my best regards to your friends.”

“I will.”

“As good as it is for you to know this, Twilight, I do wish you’d have a break from all the excitement lately,” Celestia remarked.

“Nothing can keep me from listening and helping friends out,” Twilight said proudly.

Celestia giggled, “Well, how about that tea now?” She turned to Luna, “Would you like to join us?”

Luna nodded, “I’d like to have my mind at ease some.”

“Okay,” Celestia smiled.

Now that it’s been decided, all three alicorns left the throne room to Celestia’s private quarters to chat and drink delicious tea.


Applebucking an entire orchard could tire a pony out, but there were some ponies with a lot of stamina and strength that could last longer than the average ponies. That’s why apple farmers are usually in tip-top shape, but on the rare occasion, a pegasus or unicorn could do the same.

Mystic had done just that, keeping up with the pace of Applejack. Mystic may not be the most social, nicest or most easy pony to get along with, but Applejack saw her strength is incredible for a unicorn.

After Mystic finished applebucking, Applejack had her feed the chickens, the cows, and pigs. Now, Mystic was repairing a section of the fence that had gotten worn down. Hammering the last nail in, she sighed as she wiped her brow as her muscles ached from the hard work. But she felt satisfied. And she hopes Applejack was satisfied just so she could be done.

“Hey Mystic,” said a voice, speak of the devil. Mystic turned to see Applejack walking over, carrying the last bucket of apples to the barn.

“Hey,” replied Mystic.

“Ah must say, Ah’m impressed with you, we’ve pretty much covered the entire farm,” Applejack said proudly.

“Does that mean we’re done with applebucking?”

“I said we pretty much covered the whole farm, there’re still some left.”

Mystic sighed in annoyance, “Figures.”

“But hey, you’ve really helped us out, so thank you,” Applejack smiled.

Mystic nodded in response as Applejack stopped close to her.

“We’ll harvest them a little later since they’re not fully ripe yet, so we have other things to do tomorrow,” she said, “Ah’ll do some chores before Ah head to the School tomorrow.”

“School?”

“The School of Friendship, it’s the building next to Twi’s castle.”

“Oh, wow,” Mystic remarked,” “So much into friendship and such that you have a school.”

“It’s quite an experience,” Applejack smiled wider, “It might be tiring at times but it’s a lot of fun getting to be with the students.”

“Whatever suits you.”

Applejack chuckled as she walked over to the barn, “Ah’ve got to get to cookin’ soon.”

Mystic realized she hasn’t seen Apple Bloom for most of the afternoon. She looked around the farm’s surrounding area, “Where is your little sister?”

“She and her friends went camping,” replied Applejack, “Remember?”

Mystic got a look of realization, recalling Apple Bloom mentioned that during supper last night.

“Well, I hope they have fun,” she said.

“Have you camped before?” Applejack asked, putting a basket of apples inside the barn.

“Lots of times, I travel, remember?” Mystic asked.

“Oh, right.”

Applejack cleared her throat, “Uh, so...” Trying to talk to her guest again. She paused for an awkward moment.

“So what?” Mystic arched an eyebrow.

“How much do you know about kids?” Applejack asked the first question that came to her mind, mentally facehoofing.

“I was one,” Mystic answered casually.

Applejack snorted, she held up a hoof, covering her smiling lips.

“What?” Mystic asked, confused.

“Ah’m sorry, that got me, Mystic,” Applejack chuckled.

“It wasn’t a joke.”

“Ah know, but sometimes when things are spoken a certain way, it can cause a reaction like that,” the apple farmer explained as she closed the barn doors.

“Put simply, I stink with kids and familiying as I mentioned before, I’m used to my style of life.”

Applejack placed a comforting hoof on Mystic’s shoulder, causing the mare to tense up a little, so Applejack pulled it away,

“Sorry. But if there’s anypony who can teach ya about family and kids, it’s this one.” Applejack smirked proudly, “As can other ponies ‘round here.”

“Hooray,” said Mystic.

“Well, make yerself comfy inside, we’ll be eatin’ in a bit, but now Ah’m gonna go check on the campers one more time,” Applejack said. She began walking in that direction.

“Okay, make sure everypony’s accounted for,” replied Mystic, walking to the farmhouse.

“Ah will!” Applejack called back.


While the Everfree was considered dangerous, and most creatures tend to stay there, there were rare occasions when some roamed outside the forest. As is the case tonight, because, the timberwolf pack Mystic fought in the forest a few days ago were lurking around silently around the orchard, looking for an easy meal.

Their piercing green eyes scanned their surroundings, ears perked up, and noses sniffing the air.

What’s lurking with them, was a much larger timberwolf, keeping the pack in front of it. Its face and side are still burnt from that accursed pony and deeply desired full-on fury revenge.

Wait, they heard a new sound. The sound of laughter. Kids laughing. And not too far away. The alpha looked that way, if it could, it would smirk. Ah, an easy meal or three for them all. The Alpha gave a growling sound to the other timberwolves, signaling them to head in that direction, quietly.

Author's Note:

Uhhhh ooohhhhh! :pinkiegasp:

I decided to release this chapter at the end of this year because I wanted to have something to end 2020 on a fairly decent note for me after everything.

If you don't know who Gilded Lily is, she's from Issue 60 of the MLP Comics. I love her and I think she looks rather similar to somepony else, don't all of you? :raritywink:

PreviousChapters Next