• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,246 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,246

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15 - Really into the spells

Inside the Crystal Castle, he kept his eyes open as he gazed around the room, trying to find what he was looking for. Oh, how much he needed to find her in their little charade.

He might be the Royal Crystaller, but nothing can keep him from finding his objective. No matter how hard it is or where it is.

Smiling to himself, Sunburst trotted around the small room looking for Flurry Heart, the firstborn alicorn Equestria has ever seen and has extraordinary magic for her age. He’s been playing hide and seek with her, and it was her turn. She was always so difficult to find while Sunburst’s hiding places, no matter how good they seem to be, she always seems to find him.

Is she psychic? No, that can’t be it. Can it? Brushing the thought off, he looked under couches, inside a closet, and under some bedsheets. No Flurry Heart.

“Oh shoot, I’ve been searching just about everywhere in the castle,” he murmured, “Why did I agree to play hide and seek when I know how amazing of a hider she is?”

Maybe it’s because he likes challenges, but that’s to solve puzzles and do crossword puzzles, not looking across an entire Castle for a slippery baby alicorn that’s like a ninja.

Deciding to head into the crystal hallway for the umpteenth time, he began thinking about a new place to go to. But where exactly?

He had searched the family room, the playroom, the bowling alley, and even the nursery.

Those were Flurry’s top favorite places to hang out, but he thinks that would’ve been too easy when trying to find her. As he began trotting down the hall, he noticed some crystal pony guards walking through as part of their routine.

“Have you two seen Flurry Heart?” he asked.

The two unicorn guards turned to him.

“No, what’s wrong?” one asked, a little alarmed.

“Nothing’s wrong, we’re just playing a game,” replied Sunburst as he stopped in front of them.

At this, the guards calmed down and gave smirks to one another.

“Oh, I see, playing her favorite hiding game again huh?” the second guard asked.

“Yes, and she seems to have really hidden herself good this time,” replied Sunburst as he looked around, thinking on where to go next.

“Well, you know the rules of hide and seek,” said the first guard, “Nopony can help you try to find them unless in an emergency.”

Sunburst sighed heavily and groaned, “I know, but I couldn’t help it this time! I’ve been searching for 2 hours!”

The guards chuckled, and the first spoke up again, “We can’t help you, but maybe Princess Cadance might have an idea.”

“But I thought you said nopony should help me,” Sunburst asked, raising an eyebrow.

“We said nopony could help you find them, we didn’t say they couldn’t give you an idea of one,” the second guard said.

Sunburst thought about that for a minute before he nodded.

“Okay, I’ll catch you two later,” he said.

Sunburst trotted off in search of Cadance while the guards did their best to hold back their chuckles as if knowing something he doesn’t.

Oblivious, Sunburst continues his search for the alicorn baby, turning his head sharply to the right and left when he came to an open door to double-check if the baby’s there. He’s thinking of limiting on where they both can hide, or maybe just Flurry’s, and not letting her teleport either.

Of course, that might send her into her “whiny” stage and force the royal Crystaller to keep the regular rules. How in Equestria do Shining and Cadance deal with her on a day to day basis? Sunburst only came by every few days for a few hours and it’s back to studying. As he makes his way to the royal chambers, which had two guards standing in front of it, he briefly reflects on the romantic night he and Starlight had together.

Blushing a little bit, he’s so relieved they both finally got their feelings out after months of feeling something for her. Cadance had told them she could feel it, but the duo had always denied it in front of the Princess of Love.

“Sunburst,” said a pegasus guard.

“Hello,” replied Sunburst, “Can I speak to Princess Cadance please?”

“If she’s available.”

The pegasus knocked on the door and opened it a crack, “Your Highness, the Crystaller is here, may I send him in?”

“Of course,” replied a voice from within the chambers.

The pegasus turned to Sunburst and nodded for him to go in. Sunburst thanked him before he trotted into the chambers and the guard closed the door behind him. Sitting and reading a book in front of a coffee table’s a pink alicorn (shorter than Celestia and Luna but taller than Twilight), with a candy-colored mane with yellow, pink and purple and a crystal heart for her cutie mark. She’s not wearing her normal royal attire as it’s been a rather quiet day for the Crystal Empire.

“Ah, Sunburst, a pleasure seeing you again,” Cadance smiled as she put the book down.

“Likewise, Your Highness,” Sunburst smiled with a small bow.

Cadance giggled, “No need for that, Sunburst. We’re friends, we don’t need to be so formal.

Sunburst chuckled awkwardly, rubbing the back of his head, “Sorry, Cadance, force of habit.”

“It’s okay. Have a seat.”

“Sorry, I can’t now,” Sunburst gazed around the bedroom, “I’m looking for the little alicorn that hides too well.”

Cadance rolled her eyes playfully, “Again?”

“Yep, and I wish I could enforce new rules on Miss ‘I make the rules and you should follow them.’ She’s impossible this time!” Sunburst looked under the bed while Cadance continued to smile.

“Really? How long have you been searching?” she asked.

“Two darn hours!”

Cadance giggled which caused Sunburst to look up at her in confusion.

“Cadance, aren’t you concerned about your daughter being missing?”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that,” Cadance replied with an impish smile.

“What?”

“I mean I think I may know where she is, but I don’t want to say just yet.”

At this Sunburst’s eyes widened and he shot up to Cadance, “Where is she?! She wins, okay?”

Cadance giggled again, “Oh, maybe she’s...”

A pop of golden light appeared between Sunburst and Cadance and there was the little alicorn with abnormally large wings smiling and giggling victoriously.

“Been hiding here the whole time,” Cadance finished, smirking.

“Aw, what?!” Sunburst groaned, “You’ve got to be pulling my hoof!”

“Nope, she’s been here the whole time.”

Sunburst groaned loudly before plopping down hard on his flank, completely defeated.

“Why didn’t I think to search in another place that seemed too obvious?!”

“Sometimes it’s a technique that works,” Cadance explained as her baby lowered herself into her mother’s forelegs, “And little Flurry has pulled it off with Shining and I at times.”

Flurry giggled while Sunburst looked at her in defeat and pointed a hoof at her, “From now on, no hiding with Momma or Daddy!” This caused Flurry to burst out laughing in her adorable baby voice.

“You look exhausted from looking for two long hours, why not have some tea?” Cadance offered, pointing to the tea set.

Before Sunburst could accept, he looked at Cadance, her smirk still on her face.

“Hey, wait a minute! Did you plan this with her?”

“Ohhhh, I wouldn’t say that,” replied Cadance, “Just gave her an idea to mess with you a little.”

“Cadance!”

Cadance laughed along with her daughter.

A few minutes passed before Sunburst finally accepted the offer for tea. He and Cadance chatted a little bit about the book she’d been reading before he’d come in. She explained Shining is patrolling the Empire as usual and she hardly had any duties today. Another quiet day in the Empire it seems.

“So, what about you, Sunburst?” she asked, “Anything new?”

Sunburst chuckled awkwardly, smiling sheepishly, “Oh, I don’t think so.”

“Are you sure?” Cadance asked, leaning forward a little bit, “Because I think there might be.” She gave another impish smile, “You do know who you’re talking to, right?”

“I’m talking to you, Cadance.”

“Exactly,” Cadance giggled, “The Princess of Love.”

Sunburst blushed a little bit, he tried in vain to hide it but the alicorn’s always quick to pick up when it comes to love.

“O-Okay...” he stammered, “There’s definitely something new.”

“Oh, what is it?”

Stuttering, Sunburst opened his mouth to answer but his blush spread and he covered his face which caused Cadance to giggle.

“It’s Starlight, isn’t it?” she said more than asked.

“All right!” Sunburst cried, “Yes, it’s her.” He let out a few breaths as if he’d run a marathon just to confirm what Cadance obviously knew about.

“Congrats on last night by the way,” said Cadance.

“Y-You mean the k...” Sunburst trailed off, seeing Cadance’s wide smile and a small nod from her head, “H-How did you know?”

“I can tell when somepony’s made a move or they both did and are officially together,” Cadance explained. Sunburst turned beet red. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of, believe me, Shining and I know.”

Sunburst turned his attention to his teacup and gulped it down, still very nervous, but he did his best to try and calm down. He’s never considered himself the romantic type and never thought Starlight would fall for somepony like him, neither him for Starlight.

“Do you have any plans with her later?” Cadance asked, “Because I can arrange you a tour of Mistmane’s Crystal Landscape.”

“Oh-oh, I did think about taking Starlight there, we haven’t been there together,” Sunburst explained, his blush fading away.

“In that case, shall I get the tour set up for tomorrow?”

“S-Sure, we need to get her out of the house anyway.”

“Oh, and it’s difficult for you to get out of the house, too, isn’t it?”

Sunburst rubbed the back of his mane awkwardly, “Yes, but...” He sighed, “She’s a lot more outgoing than I am and it’s not like her just to be held up in the house for an entire day or so.”

Cadance furrowed her brows, “What do you mean?”

“I mean she’s been really excited about magic lately with the healing spells and possible regeneration spells,” Sunburst tapped his chin, “I think she’s been really hard at it today.”

“Did you try to get her out of the house earlier today?”

“Yes, I did, but she was so insistent of not leaving the house.”


Earlier that day

Sunburst trotted up to where his childhood friend’s been staying for her visit. He did offer for her to stay in his house but she was insistent of finding her own place to practice the magic. Sure, it’s not supposed to be dangerous, but the unicorn knows how into magic Starlight can get no matter what it is. He knocked on the door a few times. He didn’t hear anything for a minute so he knocked again. This time he heard some scurrying around the house, the door opened and Starlight popped her head out.

“Yes?! Hello?” she asked in a fast tone.

Sunburst took a step back, “Uh, Starlight?”

The mare shook her head vigorously before she focused on Sunburst, she smiled brightly, “Ah! Sunburst! What’re you doing here this fine morning?”

“Uh, you mean, afternoon?”

Starlight smiled sheepishly, “Afternoon. Riiiiggghhhtt.”

Sunburst examined his new marefriend, seeing that her eyes have some bags under them, her mane is a little frazzled and she looked a little worn out.

“Starlight, are you okay?”

“Sure! Never better!”

“Are you sure? Because you look tired and your mane needs...maintenance.”

“Pssht!” Starlight waved him off, “Typical Sunburst, always worrying about me. I’m fine!”

“You don’t look too fine.”

Suddenly, Starlight glared, “Seriously? After entrusting me, you think you can just pull me away from doing something important?”

Sunburst’s eyes widened, “What? N-No Starlight, I was just worried about you.”

“Well, stop worrying, it’s unhealthy for you!”

Sunburst looked as if he’d been slapped, a look of hurt showed up on his features. Starlight’s eyes lit up with shock as she realized her error.

“Oh, Sunburst, I’m sorry,” she apologized with a frown, “I didn’t mean to...”

“It’s okay,” replied Sunburst, obviously not feeling okay, “I...”

“I just got excited and I don’t really know when to stop,” Starlight explained.

“You can stop now and come to the Palace with me.”

“No, no, I need to do this. You don’t fully understand.”

“What wouldn’t I understand?” Sunburst asked with a curious expression.

“It’s...” Starlight trailed off, she rubbed her temple, “It’s complicated...”

“Regeneration spells seem complicated, Starlight. Why not take a break? We can come back to it later.”

Starlight rolled her eyes, “And here I thought you were excited about this.”

“I am!” Sunburst insisted, “I don’t mind taking breaks from time to time, you taught me that reading isn’t everything.”

“Only reading isn’t as important as something that could benefit us! Benefit all of Equestria!”

“Reading’s been my life, and you told me you always loved getting out into the open air.”

“I do, but I’ll enjoy it, even more, when this is done!” Starlight insisted, “It’s only for a little while.” Her expression turned into a pleading look, “Please, Sunburst. You don’t know the importance of this for m...for all of Equestria...” She looked away, “You don’t understand...”

Sunburst’s expression softened, caressing Starlight’s chin. This caused her to look at him.

“I suppose so...but I don’t want anything to happen to you,” he said softly.

“Nothing will...I just need to move forward...please...you don’t know how important this is...” Starlight pleaded.

Sunburst didn’t reply but looked at Starlight. She’s not been emotionally attached with her magic like this before. She looked as if this were something personal, something that couldn’t be let go. The unicorn looked as if she were on the verge of tears. Sunburst sighed, now considering talking to her more about this.

“I really don’t think I should leave the house now...” Starlight said softly, “I need to get this done...”

Sunburst brought her in for a hug and she returned it. Rubbing the back of her withers he spoke softly, “It’s okay, Starlight. I’ll leave you to it. I just would love to see you more after our night out together.”

Starlight pulled back and smiled a little bit, “You will. I promise. Just give me until tonight.”

Sunburst smiled, “Okay. Good luck with your spells.”

Starlight nodded, then she held her head as if she felt a little dizzy. She lightly groaned causing Sunburst to get concerned. She turned back with a smile on her face, “Oh, don’t worry it’s just a small headache. I took some medicine earlier.”

“O-Okay Starlight, I don’t want you getting sick.”

“I’m not. See you later.”

With that, Starlight closed the door. When she did, Sunburst stood there puzzled. Sure, she’s into magic, but not that emotionally. As he turned to leave for the Palace for his Crystalling duties, he took one last glance behind him.


Present day

Cadance sat in her seat with a puzzled look as Flurry gently clenched her lips on her mother’s mane.

“So, yeah, she’s not that emotionally attached to magic. Sure she got emotional one time with she and I hung out when I got to know her friends, but this seemed personal,” Sunburst explained, finishing his explanation.

Cadance rubbed her chin, thinking for a minute, “Well, I don’t know how to explain it. I don’t know her like you do, or Twilight for that matter.” She sighed, “I wish I could be of more help.”

“You’re doing just fine by listening,” Sunburst assured her.

Cadance smiled, “Thank you, Sunburst.” She lifted Flurry with her magic and set her to her side and brought her Whammy for her to play with, “Why don’t you try talking with her like you mentioned you’d do? It’s almost night time so go see if she’s free.”

Sunburst beamed, “I will. Thanks, Cadance.”


“No! No! No!” she shouted in anguish and anger, “Starlight, you idiot! You’re better than this!” She threw a book in frustration and it landed on the opposite wall with a light thud.

This is ridiculous! She’s been working her flank off for the past twenty four hours to get this regeneration spell exactly right. She’s been experimenting with small plants and trying to get them back to their former glory. She’s had some success but not enough for her. She’s even tried wounding herself and regenerating her flesh, but it’s still not completely healed and she has a bandage wrapped around her front left fetlock. A minor price to pay for this, but it’s for the best.

“I’ll get there, I have to,” she muttered.

Yes. She has to because her life depends on it. Wait, does it? It certainly feels like it does and that’s enough to keep Starlight going. Sunburst just doesn’t get it, none of them would. This is something that’s going to be done that nopony else has done before. Then again...Starlight sighed as she slumped back against the wall.

“Maybe I should take a break...” she said.

Yes, she should, and looking outside she could see the stars beginning to appear outside. She should go out with Sunburst like she said she would.

However, she felt dizzy yet again and held her head.

“What’s this? I’ve had this feeling come up once in a while the entire visit,” she said.

She can’t deter what’s causing it. She did go to the pharmacy briefly before she and Sunburst went. Starlight’s had headaches before and these pills always helped her. Rubbing her head, her mind seemed to get a little fuzzy and her dizziness increased a little bit.

“No, Starlight, you shan’t take a break,” she thought. Or was it her thoughts? If they are, it’s difficult to deter if they are due to the fuzziness in her brain.

“I need to, Sunburst is right...”

No, Starlight. You will find a way to get this spell to work. Do you want to consider yourself unfit for being able to solve this regeneration spell hypothesis?

No, that’s ridiculous. She’s Starlight Glimmer. She’s bested Twilight at magic, she’s one of the most powerful unicorns in all of Equestria.

“And one of the most powerful unicorns matching Starswirl, no, exceeding Starswirl and doing something that’ll surpass anything he did beforehoof. After all, wouldn’t you want to make her proud? Just to get this done will do just that.”

Starlight frowned deeply at such a thought, she blinked her eyes a few times as she tried gaining her senses back.

“You cannot let anypony get in your way, Starlight. You are close to getting this cracked. Nopony understands your predicament, do they?”

“No, they don’t,” Starlight said aloud. Are these really her thoughts?

“That coltfriend of yours should because he knows of the one event you barely talk about anymore, not even your best friend Princess of Friendship, understands.”

Starlight nodded to herself as she stood up, looking around at the different plants. She’s regenerated some, but some have failed due to her attempts. She’s not a failure in magic! Sure, she’s made mistakes, but she has more than enough and the brains to succeed!

“Nopony will ever understand why I have to do this, this is for Equestria.”

Starlight trotted up to the desk, picked up the book she’d thrown away and opened it with her magic.

“Yes, this is for all of Equestria.”

As she began skimming the book where she’d left off, a recent memory came to her mind. She held her head again as she began to remember when she recently visited her dad in Sire’s Hollow.


Flashback – 1 month ago

Stepping off the train, Starlight formed a small smile on her features. She put her saddlebags on and began walking to the gate to her childhood home. She felt a little excited, yet she was nervous for all the affection she’s going to get from her loving-doving father that loves to baby her up.

However, he’s been trying not to treat her like that much anymore, but he does have his moments and she has to remind him not to do that so much.

However, she does allow a few moments once in a while when they were. She loves her dad and... well, she’s not only visiting him just to see him. This was different. Thinking about the other reason why she’s here brings some sadness to the mare, it’s the other reason why she left home when she was in a rough state during her teenage years. She’s talked to Twilight about some ponies that were always stuck up with their cutie marks and teased her for not having hers yet.

She’s had some distaste for cutie marks because of them, and despite learning magic she just didn’t get hers just yet. Sunburst helped her along the way and seemed to be the only pony in school that was her friend.

Her mom and dad were busy ponies and barely had time for her back in those days, sure she loved them and they loved her with all the love in the world, they could hardly get away from their busy jobs, making the mare a latch-key kid back then.

When Sunburst left without saying a goodbye or even writing to her just made her situation worse and she developed an even bigger dislike for cutie marks and became much more distant from her parents when they came back after a long while.

Starlight winced at the painful memories as she stepped into Sire’s Hollow. Even the Guidance Counselor at the School of Friendship needs guidance and she has good friends to help her with that. However, the reason she’s here is something she barely talks about, even with ponies who know about it. She looked around at the town with half of the buildings much more modern but no longer containing the fruit smoothie store and replaced with a regular fruit store and the essences have a note stating that they no longer make ponies cough. Starlight’s not going to take that chance though. The other side of Sire’s Hollow has more of the buildings Starlight’s familiar with, and she knew her dad, Firelight, lived on this side of town.

“Theeeerrreee you are sweetie!” a cheerful voice exclaimed happily behind her. Starlight lightly cringed but she forced a smile and turned to see a dark purple unicorn with a moderate colored mane and tail and a flickering flame for a cutie mark.

“H-Hey Dad,” Starlight replied sheepishly.

Firelight didn’t hesitate to hug his daughter. Starlight awkwardly returned the hug with one foreleg wrapped around her embarrassing, yet loving father. Firelight pulled away.

“It’s so good to see you pumpky-wumpkin!” he said happily.

“Daaaad,” Starlight groaned, face-hoofing, “Remember, no pumpky-wumpkins in public!”

“Oh! Right, sorry dear,” Firelight apologized sheepishly, but then he smiled brightly, “It’s still so great to see you, my little girl.”

“Yep, I promised I’d visit more often if you treated me more like a friend,” replied Starlight, smiling a little bit.

“That I did, sweetie, that I did,” replied Firelight, “Anywho, do you want to catch up? I made you some of your favorite cookies and milk.”

Starlight smiled warmly, “Sure Dad, I’d love that.”

Firelight beamed brightly and he led Starlight to his house.

So, Starlight and her dad spent the morning talking to one another and catching up with one another. Her dad’s very proud of her from how far she’s turned her life around than when he last saw her, a former pupil and graduate from the Princess of Friendship, now a guidance counselor for the School just proves how far she’s really come.

Starlight finished up the last of her cookies and her dad levitated yet another plate of 10 cookies up to her. Starlight giggled.

“Oh, Dad, you know I’ve had two plates of those already,” she said.

“Oh, I know, but I can’t forget when you ate more than fifty of them before,” Firelight chuckled.

Starlight blushed, “D-Don’t mention that to anypony else!”

“Or will I?” Firelight asked with a teasing smile.

“Dad!”

Firelight laughed, “Don’t worry, if I were going to mention it, I would’ve a long time ago.”

Starlight playfully rolled her eyes and ate another cookie. The twenty-first one so far. The mare looked down at her belly, it’s a little plump but not noticeable. Still, she does keep telling herself to lose weight, yet, she can’t find herself to do so when Pinkie bakes the most delicious sweets in all of Equestria. Plus, who doesn’t mind some sweets?

“Well, I’m happy that Cozy character isn’t going to cause any more trouble,” said Firelight as he poured himself some milk.

“Me too,” replied Starlight, “I did think sending her to Tartarus was a bit much as first, but that filly wasn’t gonna stop trying her plans somewhere else.” She sighed, “I did like Cozy before she went all evil and such...”

“I’m sure you did, and I probably woulda loved her to pieces before then...”

“Still, I wish she didn’t turn evil...” she closed her eyes, “But I am thankful the Young Six were able to save the day.”

“Young Six?” Firelight tilted his head.

“Oh, that’s what some students call them since they’re always together. Twilight and Applejack have called them the Student Six before,” Starlight smiled, “I prefer the title Young Six honestly.”

“As do I, sweetie pie, as do I.”

Starlight opened her eyes, but she didn’t look into her father’s eyes. The other reason why she came here flooded her mind now. She’d hoped to put it off a little longer, but there’s no more avoiding it.

“Dad...I remember what today is,” she said in a low tone.

Firelight’s smile dropped. The stallion closed his eyes as he frowned. When he opened them, he had a look of sympathy and sadness in them.

“Me too...” he said in a quiet voice, which was rare for a bright stallion like him. Starlight’s lip slightly trembled.

“I know most don’t know about my past in this particular area...but...” she trailed off.

Firelight sighed sadly, “You don’t have to talk about it to anypony but me unless you want to.”

Starlight nodded, “Thanks, Dad...” She sighed again, “I’m sorry I didn’t come home all this time...”

“I’ve forgiven you, sweetie,” replied Firelight as he stood up and began brushing his daughter’s mane.

“But I still feel like I’ve been a horrible daughter...” Starlight blinked back tears.

“You’re not a horrible daughter,” Firelight assured her, “You know that she knows that.”

Starlight closed her eyes tight, trying to keep her tears at bay. Her dad, obviously sensing her pain, wrapped his forelegs around her. Starlight sniffed as she returned the hug. Painful memories came to the mare, ones she wishes that didn’t have to exist. Her heart throbbed, her breathing seemed to get a little hallow.

“Do you...want to go see her?” Firelight asked, “I mean if you want to...”

Starlight didn’t reply. It’s been a long time since she’s been there, but she did promise herself that she’d go see her despite how painful it will be. She broke free from her dad’s hug and nodded.

“I need to,” she said.

Firelight smiled sadly, “I’ll go get the bouquet, I need to replace the ones there anyway.” With that, her dad left the room to get the bouquet while Starlight felt some tears rolling down her face.

A few minutes passed and both father and daughter were on their way to their destination. Neither spoke a word, not even the usually chipper Firelight who had a look of sadness as he carried a bouquet of blue flowers. Starlight had thoughts swirling through her mind, anger, sadness, and regret.

She considered going back to Ponyville and forget about all of this. However, she’s been putting this off for far too long. Some ponies gave them friendly waves along the way, and while they waved back, they didn’t feel so happy like they were. Clouds built up in the sky, covering the sun up and making the atmosphere feel gloomy. Firelight mentioned that they’d be getting rain sometime in the day but he wasn’t sure when, so they had to move a little fast to their destination.

Soon, they came upon a cemetery. Starlight closed and opened her eyes multiple times as she tried to stay strong, but it didn’t stop a couple tears rolling down her face. Firelight had one roll down his face, too as both made their way through the many gravestones. Finally, they came upon one and stopped, and written on it was;

Here lies Moonlight Star

A loving wife and mother

1045 C.E. – 1095 C.E.

Starlight’s stomach twisted into a knot as she beheld the grave before her. Firelight took the white lilies out of its place and put the blue lilies into its place.

“She always loved blue and white,” said Firelight, his voice cracking a little, “Every time I come here to replace them, I’d switch from white to blue every time.”

Starlight smiled a little, “That’s sweet, Dad.” Her frown dropped as she knelt down, looking at the gravestone closer. Her lip trembled as she tried to find the words to speak.

“H-Happy... happy birthday, Mother,” she said with a cracked tone. She closed her eyes tightly as the tears came again, “I-I know I haven’t been here to visit you...like ever...” She choked, “I... It was just...too painful...” She paused, causing Firelight to kneel down next to her, offering his comforting hoof, “I... I suck with words but... I want you to know that...I’m so sorry for fighting you and... leaving like I did...and that you had to pass on and...” She paused again. “But...I’m a much better pony now than what I was before...I...” She began sobbing. “Oh... Mom... I wish you were still here... and... I don’t know if... I make you proud these days...” She turned to her dad, her eyes filled with tears, “I can’t go on...” She hugged her dad, sobbing into his shoulder. He returned the hug and rubbed her back.

“She is proud of you...I’m sure of it,” he said, trying to keep his tears under control.

“How would we know?” Starlight sobbed, “I’m...sorry...I’m so sorry, Mom...”

Starlight hasn’t felt this sad since she’s left home, not when she thought Trixie set her up, not when she told Sunburst about her past...but her strained relationship with her mother in her teen years hurts her the most. She felt as if the world began crushing her with grief.

Firelight looked to the grave, “Happy birthday, my love...” Starlight continued to cry as her dad continued to comfort her to the best of his abilities.


Present day

Tears rolled down Starlight’s face as she recalled the painful memories. She closed the book and wiped her tears away.

“Do you want to make Mommy proud, Starlight? This way is definitely it. Regenerate those plants and then you can move on until you have the regeneration spell mastered to do so much more for ponies.”

Starlight nodded, “I need to make my mom proud. I need to do this.” She rubbed her head, the headache fading away. The desire to get rid of the pain, the desire to make her mother proud, determination and need to get this done has overwhelmed the mare.

“They don’t understand, Sunburst doesn’t understand,” Starlight stated as she focused on her objective.

Somepony knocked on her door. Deeply annoyed, Starlight walked up next to a window and stayed in the shadows so the pony outside couldn’t see her. Her eyes slightly widened when he saw Sunburst standing there with an eager look. Probably to talk to her.

“You cannot let him stop you, you need to move on with the objective,” Starlight thought.

Thinking back on how Sunburst told her she hasn’t slept in a long time; she got a devious idea that’ll keep her working and Sunburst away from her. She slumped over and dropped her eyelids to half-lidded as if she were tired. Forming a tired look, she walked over and opened the door.

“Oh, Starlight,” said Sunburst, “Glad you...”

“Uuughh...” Starlight moaned.

Sunburst’s eyes shone with concern, “Starlight, are you okay?”

Starlight faked a yawn, “Oh, I’m fine...I guess...” She yawned again, “I guess my need to sleep caught up with me.”

Sunburst breathed a sigh of relief, “Well, I’m glad it’s just that. I warned you, didn’t I?”

“Yeah,” Starlight faked a yawn again, “Sorry Sunburst, I should’ve gone to sleep and gone with you to the Palace.”

“It’s okay.”

“I won’t be coming with you tonight like I said I would, I need to sleep.”

Sunburst nodded in understanding, “You go ahead and do that. Your health comes first, after all.”

“Right,” said Starlight before giving him a brief kiss, “Good night, Sunburst.”

“Good night, Star,” replied Sunburst giving Starlight a brief kiss too.

Starlight’s patience began to dwindle, she doesn’t know why but she is eager to get started on the spells again. Sunburst turned and walked off. Starlight watched him go with a small glare, and when he was gone, she closed the door and turned back around to the plants.

“It’s time for me to step up my game,” she said with a determined look, “I will see you sometime soon, Mom.”


What Starlight didn’t know is that outside a figure standing much like a human, muscled and animal-like on its upper body is watching her every movement.

Author's Note:

Hello everypony! I just want to wish all of those, who are in the US, a Happy Thanksgiving! :pinkiehappy: We are now in the second act of the story! :pinkiehappy: Oh, things are far from over as you probably already knew. :raritywink:

PreviousChapters Next