• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 1,246 Views, 191 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 2 - MLPSolarDash1907



After fighting off a lion, Mystic discovers a plan to invade the land of Equestria. Deciding to travel there, she's unaware she'll run into six familiar faces. In the Crystal Empire, Starlight is looking into spell hypotheses and wants to crack them.

  • ...
5
 191
 1,246

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27 - On the way to Oogundaa

Meanwhile, in Oogundaa and just outside of the throne room of King Clawdius, Leandra held her head high as the two lions at the double door saluted and opened it.

She entered, even though she was acting tough, inside she was furious and saddned for the Pride’s great defeat.

The throne room was darker than the outside world, while there were rays of sunlight streaming in from the high open windows, it barely provided some light. Leandra has keen eyesight so it doesn’t bother her much, what did bother her is the large figure sitting in the throne about five hundred feet away.

As she got closer to the throne, she noticed some thrown scrolls, books, bricks, and punched pillars beside it. This told her the King has vented and she hoped that he wouldn’t go hard on her, as much as she hates to admit it to herself. There’s not been a defeat like this for the Pride in ages.

When she arrived, she saw Clawdius glaring down at her, disappointed and angry. She bowed low before him.

“Rise. Now.”

She did so and his expression hardened, “Where is Amra?”

Leandra cringed at his harsh icy tone. She wanted to say something but she sighed heavily and lowered her head in shame. She knew that was all Clawdius needed to know.

He growled, “Tell me everything that happened. Leave nothing out.”

“As you wish, sire,” replied Leandra in a low tone, but loud enough for Clawdius to hear.


“After that, we retreated and made our way back here. We weren’t followed, we made sure of it,” Leandra finished.

Clawdius roared, almost causing Leandra to jump, “You better hope not!” He growled as he rubbed his temple, “Even if they do, we have vultures all across Oogundaa and we will make them sorry.” He glared at Leandra, “You’d better make sure none of them makes it up here.”

“Yes, sire,” replied Leandra. She stood up straight, “Permission to speak?”

“Fine.”

“I was planning on having some scouts keep to the shadows and watch the land for any kind of those ponies. If they do decide to come after us after what we tried to do to their land, we need to be ready.”

“You seem to know what I’m thinking at times,” replied Clawdius.

“It’s a privilege, sire. Anyway, I’ll make sure the Pride within the boundaries train harder than ever before. I’ll send vultures out as well, so if they are coming, they’ll be able to tell us as well.”

“Very well. If possible, capture some of them alive, so we can use them as leverage against them as we form another plan to take their home.”

For the first time since the defeat, Leandra smiled, “Without question, sire.”

Clawdius slightly sulked in his throne, “As for those that were lost, tonight we will hold a ceremony to honor their heroism and loyalty to the Pride. But it’ll also be declared why we will, more than ever, get those ponies to submit to me!”

Leandra nodded, “Yes sire!”

“And...” Clawdius rubbed his chin, “I wonder... maybe if there was more to this...”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not sure yet, but if I can think of something, you’ll be the first and only to know,” he said, looking at her, “You’re the only one I can trust to be strong right now. So, stay strong and lead as Amra would. Make him and I proud!”

Slightly nervous, she nodded, “Right away!”

“Good, now leave me be for now.”

Leandra bowed again before she departed, a small look of uncertainty on her face. How will she lead like Amra? When they were together, they seemed unstoppable up until this great defeat.

Clawdius must’ve let out all his rage after he heard about the defeat, plus he didn't let his rage loose on Leandra earlier. She was the only one he could trust. Leandra now believed she got worried over mostly nothing. She’ll make sure those ponies pay. They’ll all regret crossing paths with the Pride.

Especially the orange unicorn that murdered the one she loved.


The hot air balloon came to a bumpy stop, the wind howling all around our heroines. Even Rainbow got into the balloon to keep herself from blowing away. Mystic gave the pilot clear directions where they need to land, reasoning she knows the way. The pilot was hesitant with the wind blowing as it is, but Mystic urged him onwards telling her to get as close as possible. When they got a little closer and the wind blew even harder, Mystic and the pilot agreed to land the balloon. The pilot was able to land it smoothly and all of the ponies piled out. On the ground, the wind blew softer, though still around.

“Whew! That was rough wind!” the pilot said, “Apparently your new friend was right about it, Princess Twilight!”

“Apparently,” replied Twilight as she tightened her saddlebags, “And just Twilight, please.”

“Apologies.”

“Besides, we’re just more of acquaintances than friends,” said Mystic as she checked her machete and satchel.

“Acquaintances?” Applejack asked, confused.

“Yep.”

“But you said you wanted to be friends,” said Rarity.

“I said we could try it,” replied Mystic, “The word ‘try’ being the key word.”

Without another word, she left the confused farmer and fashionista behind as she took a few paces ahead. Looking at the thick pines and aspens ahead. There’re tall snow-capped mountains in the distance, spreading out in either direction for countless miles. The forest seemed to stretch on for miles, the only thing remaining between them and the tall mountains they need to scale.

“Hello, old friend,” Mystic said to the forest, having traveled to it before.

As Twilight paid the pilot, Rarity put on a white and pink scarf while Applejack put on a blue winter jacket she’d just purchased. Everypony made sure they had their saddlebags, even Rainbow considered putting on her winter jacket, though pegasi rarely freeze. Fluttershy, of course, had a pink winter jacket on as well a scarf. The alicorn made sure everypony had packed warm since they were high in the atmosphere and have to scale a mountain which will make things colder.

“Thank you for the bits, Pri...Twilight,” the pilot corrected herself. She looked at the trees’ tops blowing in the breeze. She slightly cringed.

“Maybe you should pack up the balloon and walk to the village we saw not too far away,” Twilight suggested, “You don’t want to go back up there.”

“I’d just thought of that. It’s a wonder I was able to get you down when I did.”

“I’m glad you decided to land here because who knows how fast those winds blow closer to the mountains?” Twilight looked over at the distant mountains.

“Keep your head down and I believe you’ll be fine,” said the pilot as she grabbed the balloon’s rope.

“We will. Thanks.”

“Good luck!” The pilot let her balloon float a few feet above her as she pulled it across the open plains, heading to a village roughly a couple miles away.

Twilight smiled and turned back to her friends. Sunset has put on a red and blue winter jacket she’d purchased.

“Sunset,” said Twilight, her smile dropping as the unicorn looked over, “I’m really sorry about your visit...”

“Twilight, my visit being ruined is not a big deal,” Sunset assured her, “I would help a friend in any kind of need. You taught me that, remember?”

“Yes, I do, but I still feel bad about it...”

Sunset placed a comforting hoof on Twilight’s shoulder, “It’s okay. And Starlight will be, too.”

Twilight let out a small smile, “Thanks Sunset.”

“What’re friends for?” Sunset smiled, which Twilight reflected.

“Hey Twi,” said Applejack, “Did you get a response from Princess Celestia?”

“Yes, I did just before we landed,” replied Twilight, showing her a scroll with a Sun cutie mark on it.

“And?”

Twilight sighed, her smile dropping, “She said she was disappointed but that she understood.”

“What of the Gala?” Sunset asked.

Twilight shook her head, “It’s too big to cancel and let the Leaders go home.”

“They-they’re in Canterlot?” Sunset asked, her eyes slightly widening.

“Y-Yes...they wanted to see Canterlot’s majesty as part of the arrangement to build our relations further.” She sulked, “I bet they and their students were very very disappointed about our departure...”

Applejack sulked some as well, Sunset frowned. Twilight shook her head, “I know I need to help Starlight but I still can’t help but...”

“It’s natural, Twilight,” said a timid voice, directing their attention to Fluttershy, “I know you’re disappointed but it’s just one of those things that couldn’t be helped.”

“You’re right,” replied Twilight, forming a determined look and looking out to the forest, “Right now we have some friends to find.”

“Let’s go already!” Rainbow cried impatiently.

“Hold yer horses, Dash, we’re ‘bout to leave!” replied Applejack.

“Well, I can’t hold’em much longer! Move your flanks!”

Applejack face hoofed while Rarity rolled her eyes in annoyance at the pegasus’ impatience.

“Dash is right,” said Twilight, “The sooner we find Starlight, the better.”

Moving forward, Twilight saw Mystic’s gaze hasn’t left the forest.

“Mystic,” she said. The unicorn slightly turned her head, “Anything else we need to know about this forest?”

“This forest rivals that Everfree Forest of yours in terms of thickness, but it’s bigger,” Mystic explained, “They’re very similar in the ways animals care for one another. And you mentioned ponies make the weather in Ponyville right?”

“That’s right.”

“I’ve always grown up thinking weather comes and goes on its own, same with this forest. There’re dangerous rapids and some hidden chasms in some areas.” Ophiotauruses, wild orthos, and bears bigger and angrier than the ones in most of Equestria. Oh, and closer to the mountains, ice and snow can hide chasms, too.”

“Gosh,” said Fluttershy, “Maybe I can speak to the bears.”

Mystic glowered at her, “There is no reasoning with these bears and creatures in this forest. I know you have a thing with animals, but I warn you, they won’t listen and don’t take lightly to intruders.” She turned back to the forest, “As with the other creatures, too.”

“But...”

“No buts, Fluttershy!”

“Didn’t you mention a wolf pack?” Sunset asked.

“They’re on the other side of the mountains,” replied Mystic, “On this side, we can move faster but when we reach the other side of the mountains, we must be very quiet and discreet or the wolves will find us.”

“Got it!” Pinkie bubbled, then confetti blasted out of her saddlebag, making Mystic wince.

“With that kind of noise, we’d be discovered from more than a mile away,” she muttered.

“Didn’t Ah tell ya not to pack yer confetti cannons?” Applejack asked, annoyed.

“I didn’t hear you!” Pinkie beamed, “Plus, I packed confetti surprises!”

“Well get rid of them,” Mystic ordered, “We cannot let these creatures find us. Oh, and one more thing,” she gave them a serious look, “Remember, the animals in these woods will be attracted to lit up fire. It’s like a beacon saying ‘Hey over here!’ or ‘Hello, come and eat me!’” She let out a snort, “Trust me on that.”

“Can we get moving already?” Rainbow asked impatiently, crossing her forelegs.

Mystic glared at her, “I was just about to say for us to move out.”

“Then say it then!”

Annoyed, Mystic spoke to the otherss, “Let’s move everypony. We’re burning daylight.”

“Finally!”

Mystic held back a growl while the others gave Rainbow disapproving looks, but the pegasus ignored them.

And so, Mystic broke off into a run. The others looked surprised before they took off as well.

“I thought you said there were chasms in the forest!” Rarity called.

“There are! Only deeper in!” replied Mystic, “Just follow my orders and you should be fine!”

“Goodness, I hope my necessities remain okay!” said Rarity, gazing at her saddlebags, “I wish I had more time to get more for the wilderness.”

Applejack rolled her eyes in annoyance but she kept her mouth shut.


For a few hours, the ponies ran through the forest, not stopping unless Mystic told them so.

On the outside of the forest, the trees weren’t as thick as Mystic told them they’d be, and there were some meadows scattered around containing some deer and elk. They heard different chirps from birds as they moved.

However, when they got further into the forest, the chirps died down, the only sounds coming from hawks flying above and groans from bison roaming the woods.

When the bison began crossing in front of them a distance away, in their aghast states, Mystic ordered them to keep their distance as bison can be very aggressive.

While they were majestic, two of them got into a rough fight where they butted heads and the stronger one gouged his opponent’s eye out, which horrified the ponies. When the defeated bison ran off and the herd began moving on, Mystic got her acquaintances to move on, too.

Soon, the foliage and brushed built up all around them, the branches got thicker and the trees closer together. Mystic had the ponies stay close by because there could be camouflaged hunters in the thick woods. She didn’t specify what, but she told them they’re fast and slick.

“We’re going on an adventure! Starlight we’re coming for you! We’re going on an adventure!” Pinkie sang.

“Pinkie!” Applejack shouted, “None of that!”

“Awww, but I love singing on epic adventures!” Pinkie whined.

“Well, this ain’t a time fer singin’! Plus didn’t Ah tell ya not to consider singin’?!”

“I didn’t consider it! I just began singing! I love singing, it comes naturally!”

“Well stop singin’!”

“Awww, party pooper!”

Climbing over a rock, Mystic muttered, “Singing ponies...”

The unicorn is far ahead and on higher ground than everypony else. She shook her head in slight annoyance at their lack of stamina.

“Come on everypony!” she called, “We need to be close to that mountain by sundown!”

Rarity panted, her hooves not used to walking on hard ground. In Ponyville it’s softer.

“Do you think you can slow down a little bit, pleeeeaasseee?!” she cried.

“You wanted to come and let me lead,” said Mystic, “Try to keep up.”

“Don’t leeeaaavee us!” Rarity whined. Mystic only looked away and smirked, she herself knew she was teasing but didn’t want the others to know.


Twilight levitated Rarity onto higher ground, giving her a small break as she and the others followed.

“Twilight, do you think you can teleport yourself or us to the mountain?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight shook her head, “I could but we don’t know where Starlight is. She could still be close by.”

“How do you know?” Rainbow asked, “We’ve been calling for her for hours.”

“I know, but she could be somewhere nearby and we need to evaluate that she isn’t,” Twilight explained, “Plus I don’t want to leave all of you alone.”

“Lack of trust in her?” Applejack asked, motioning to Mystic.

“No, I just think we should stick together,” replied Twilight.

“Come on everypony! This way!” Mystic waved them over as she walked to the left.

“Maybe I do have some lack of trust in her,” Twilight thought. She frowned again, not because of Mystic, but because she felt some responsibility of Starlight going away and her probably not noticing things that could’ve pointed to her having trouble. She hid it from her friends, but she knows they’ll know soon enough.

Half an hour later, Mystic led them to where the trees are a little spread out. There were some twigs and bushes surrounding them. She held up her right hoof as she came to a stop. The others stopped at her signal. Mystic looked around, determining where they need to go next.

“What’re you looking for, Mystic?” Fluttershy asked.

“There’s a small stream somewhere close by,” replied Mystic, “I follow it up and down the mountain. During this time of year, the mountains are a little warmer and some of the snow adds more water to the streams, making them easier to follow and see.”

“Let’s hope we find it soon,” said Applejack. Suddenly her stomach growled, “Cause Ah’m gettin’ hungry.”

“Me too!” Pinkie bubbled pulling out a cupcake and eating/smushing it.

“We’re not too far away from it. We’ll stop and eat when we get there,” said Mystic.

Everypony agreed and continued to follow Mystic. Rarity, Sunset and Fluttershy’s muscles ached some due to running for a few hours. Twilight felt some soreness too but being an alicorn made her stronger. Applejack, Rainbow, and Mystic were just fine, though Mystic moved faster.

“Dang, that unicorn sure is fast,” Applejack muttered to herself.


A few minutes later, they heard running water, all of their ears perked up and they picked up the pace. Soon, they came to a bank with some bushes containing some blueberries. All of their eyes lit up with excitement as they can all finally eat something.

“I hope you didn’t pack something you have to cook,” said Mystic picking some blueberries, “Because even in the day time you cannot build a fire.”

“Seriously?!” Rainbow and Applejack shouted in unison. Mystic turned around with a deadpan look, “This isn’t your usual forest.” She turned back around and picked more blueberries, “There’re several blueberry bushes around, gather yourself a pack for some extra energy before we get to the mountains. You could probably save some of the packed food as well.”

Our ponies picked blueberries as Mystic sat by the stream and began eating some granola bars. They didn’t notice her looking over every once in a while.

The hardened traveler considered their ways of friendship and how they claim how effective it was, however, this wasn't Equestria they were heading to. Mystic furrowed her brows, just chewing on her snacks.

They... hadn't seen this world for how it really is, Mystic thought, thinking of all the places she'd traveled. The things she'd seen and how they weren't resolved by mere friendship. She shuddered and dared not think of her earlier days as a Liberator.

They were adamant and told me about friendship, Mystic thought, turning back to them again as they began talking with each other, Now I think I must tell them how things really are.

Mystic nodded to herself, feeling assured that was the way to go. But she would wait until the right moment, and it was then another thought crossed her mind.

“Why is that fashionable pony even here?” she asked herself, “And Fluttershy and that party pony?” She sighed, “I get why they’re out here, but they’re not fit to fight tough beasts. It’s a huge relief that those lions did not kill them...” She looked over to them as they sat, “It’s probably best that they stayed home...”

She finally began considering this, but with how close they were she didn’t bother at first, now she wishes she has. She’s used to traveling alone, not with a whole herd of ponies. Normally, she’d move on as soon as she ate her granolas but now she is going to allow them some time to get some of their strength back.

Strength...

She looked inside her satchel and spotted the yellow potion that gave her additional strength and stamina.


With our ponies and Sunset, they’re letting out their own thoughts and feelings at the moment.

“-we’ve totally got this!” Rainbow said confidentially, “If anything we probably will find Starlight within a day and bring her back in time for the Gala!”

“Wishful thinking, Dash,” said Applejack, “But Ah ain’t sure that’s gonna happen.”

“It could!”

“Ohhh, my hooves ache,” Rarity whined, using a file on them, “Why does this ground have to be harder than Ponyville’s dirt?”

“That’s what happens when we approach mountains,” said Sunset.

“The mountains may look treacherous but together we will make it!” Pinkie declared.

“I hope so,” Rarity grumbled.

As they sat and ate some fresh blueberries, everypony had another thing, or somepony on their minds. Mystic.

“So, what does everypony think?” Applejack said.

“About what?” Pinkie asked.

The farmer motioned to Mystic. When Pinkie gazed over, she looked away, painful memories of Mystic declining her party.

“I honestly don’t know...” said Rarity, “She might have some good qualities. Again, might have them.”

“Might?” Fluttershy asked.

“Oh, she seems like she’s out for herself and not taking our friendship into account after she agreed to be our friend,” Rarity scoffed.

“Ah don’t know, maybe she did think of only as acquaintances back then,” said Applejack, “But if she did, Ah still think she should regard our friendship more.”

“Puh-lease Applejack,” Rarity turned her nose up, “That mare is likely a ruffian and only helping us due to that General.” She gazed over at Mystic, “You know how I hate uncouth behaviors.”

Applejack cleared her throat. Rarity smiled sheepishly at her, “Oh, not you. You’re not uncouth, plus you’re no ruffian.”

“Are you saying you hate Mystic?” Sunset asked.

“No. I don’t hate her, I just think her behavior can improve.”

“Does it have to do with her not liking you or something?” Fluttershy asked.

Rarity stammered for a second, remembering how the mare spoke to her and never thanked her for fixing her damaged outfit or when she paid for her deluxe grooming package. She did feel some resentment because of that, she’d convinced herself that’s the reason.

“I don’t think so, I just...” she sighed, “I’m not sure, Fluttershy. She just sets me off for some reason.”

“I honestly think she’s friendly,” said Sunset, looking over at the mare, “Beneath all of the tough attitude I’ve been seeing recently.”

“Oh, you have no idea,” Rainbow groaned. Applejack gave her a look but the pegasus gave her a raspberry in response.

“Honestly, Rainbow,” said Fluttershy, “Try to get to know her.”

“She fought me across town!”

“Because of your reckless action against her!” Fluttershy scolded.

“Okay, enough,” Sunset slightly raised her voice, quieting everypony, “I can see we have very mixed reception about Mystic. But the least we can do is follow her and get to Oogundaa.”

“Speaking of Oogundaa, do any of you have any idea what it might be like?” Rarity asked.

“No clue other than what Mystic told us,” replied Sunset.

“Maybe things aren’t as bad as they seem as she said,” Pinkie said with a smile, “That way we can help everycreature there smile!”

“I certainly hope they have proper resting areas so we can all take it easy before moving again,” said Rarity.

“I believe we can work something out,” said Fluttershy, “We’ve been to places like Klugetown.” The mention of that awful town caused Rarity to scoff in annoyance.

“Who knows what we’ll find?” Applejack added, “Ponies haven’t traveled to the West in thousands of moons.”

“Except Mystic.”

“Yes, except how far has she been in Oogundaa? Does she know more than what she’s letting on?”

“Probably,” Dash muttered, which Applejack ignored.

“I remember reading some about Oogundaa’s vague details,” said Twilight, she began rubbing her chin, “They have impala and kudus there, and they have their own magic.”

“Wait, they have magic?!” Rarity asked, surprised.

“Yes,” said Twilight, “Impalas were said to tend to the earth and scour the land in need of quality foods while the kudus provided some strength and defense.”

“I wonder what’s been going on with nopony going for so long,” said Sunset.

“I’m not sure, there are many rumors as to why, saying it’s cursed, darkness seeps out of the land, and rumors of a giant snake.”

“A s-s-snake?” Rarity asked.

Pinkie giggled, “Yes! S-s-s-snake!” Her tongue hissed like a snake, causing Rarity to cringe.

“Pinkie! Don’t! I hate snakes!” Rarity whined.

The pink mare shrugged with an innocent smile.

“I wish I had more info, but ponies don’t seem eager to head to Oogundaa because of the stories surrounding it.”

“Yeah, ‘stories’ huh?” Applejack asked, “Remember all the ‘tall pony tales’ we’ve been told as youngins?”

Twilight smiled sheepishly and nodded while everypony else muttered in agreement.

“Whatever is out there, we’ll get through it together,” Sunset stated, “As I’ve learned from Twilight and all of your counterparts in the other world.” She smiled, “So in a way, I’m saying thank you to all of you as well for teaching me the magic of friendship.”

“Ehh, we’re all kinds of awesome no matter what dimension we’re in,” Rainbow shrugged.

Sunset giggled, “I suppose so.”

While all of this chat with her friends is wonderful, Twilight’s mind couldn’t help but wander to Starlight and Sunburst. She’s been trying to assure herself that they’re fine but her mind just can’t help but wonder, being Twilight after all.

“Well, we do have that King to worry about,” Fluttershy added.

“Ohhhh,” everypony else responded.

“Yeeeaahhh,” Applejack cringed, rubbing the back of her head, “That’s gonna be an issue.”

“Come on, we totally wiped the table clean of his army!” Rainbow boasted.

“Only because we caught them off guard,” Applejack warned.

“She’s right,” said Fluttershy, “Oogundaa is their natural territory and it can stretch for a hundred square miles if not the entire land with that King ruling.” She paused for a second, “They know it better than we do. We’ll be in their home soon.”


About ten minutes later, our ponies were on their way once again. Sticking close to the stream, they began running again. However, a few minutes later they abruptly stopped, causing Pinkie and Applejack to crash into one another.

“We need to slow down here,” Mystic warned, “Remember there are more dangerous creatures in this part to the mountains onwards. Look out for chasms, they’ll eat you alive.”

“Eat us?” Fluttershy asked, startled.

“They’re big and deep. You’ll fall if you’re not careful,” Mystic clarified, “Look out for some ground that looks slumped, like a bowl for example. However,” she gave a serious look, “They’re not so easy to notice and sometimes we have to veer some feet away from the stream due to thick woods. So, follow my lead.” She looked back ahead, “No questions asked.”

“Mystic dear,” said Rarity.

“What is it?” Mystic asked through gritted teeth.

“Don’t you need a winter jacket or something?” Rarity asked, putting on a snow cap, “You’re wearing short sleeves.”

Without looking at her, Mystic spoke, “I’ve climbed mountains, traversed savannas and deserts just wearing these clothes. I know black absorbs heat, but I adapt.”

“But you should really wear something warm.”

“Ever heard of insulating when you’re alone to survive in the wilderness? Try doing that sometimes.”

Without another word, and by no means to discuss it further, Mystic continued on, adding, “Let’s move. We need to be by the mountains before the sun sets.”

“And then what?” Fluttershy asked.

Mystic groaned, annoyed, “Then we climb the mountain for most of the morning and the afternoon getting down.”

“Oh, this is taking forever!” Rainbow cried, “I’ll fly and find the best path for us!”

Rainbow took off into the sky.

“Rainbow! Wait!” Applejack warned. Mystic watched with a deadpan look. Everypony saw Rainbow trying to fly against the wind. She pushed against it for a few seconds, but due to the intensity, it pushed her back towards the ground, sending her spiraling and crashing in front of the party. Applejack groaned loudly.

“Strong winds, pegasus,” said Mystic, “I told you.”

An annoyed Rainbow snorted loudly.

Traveling further into the woods, Rarity stopped to get water from the stream and placed them into some canteens for everypony to have. She washed her hooves off as well. Pinkie tried singing again but was quickly silenced by Mystic due to there being dangerous creatures.

Speaking of danger, when they reached a crossroads in the stream, they saw a huge, over fifteen hundred-pound brown bear. All of their eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. It stood on its hind legs, towering over nine feet high, much taller than Harry, Fluttershy’s bear. Another bear came into view and began looking for salmon. Mystic directed them around the bears, keeping low and out of sight in the cover of the woods. When yet another bear showed up, everypony quickly ducked behind cover. The bear looked around suspiciously, sniffing the air, however, it was drawn towards the stream, needing a meal.

Relieved, Mystic continued to lead the party, and when they managed to gain some distance between them, they began their normal speed once again.


The mountains grew closer by the hours, Mystic heard some growls and howls from bobcats and coyotes. Soon, they came upon a large clearing, the grass came up to the middle of the ponies’ fetlocks. It was a large grassy field with some small rolling hills and white flowers. Despite the wind blowing them, it was a beautiful sight.

“Don’t let it fool you,” Mystic warned as they moved forward, “This area could contain a chasm.”

“My, I’m relieved to be free from those trees!” Rarity breathed, “Even for just a little bit!”

“Ah agree,” said Applejack, “Ah love ma open fields and meadows.”

Pinkie giggled as she began rolling around the grass, happily smiling. Mystic looked at her incredulously but kept her mouth shut.

“Oh, Pinkie,” Sunset giggled before joining her in rolling around the grass. Applejack followed causing Twilight to giggle, too.

“Come on! We’ve got to move!” Rainbow complained.

“Oh, just a couple more minutes!” Pinkie said happily. She jumped into the air, grabbed Rainbow and forced her down onto the grass onto her back. Soon, Dash was smiling and rolling as well.

How ironic.

Applejack shot back to her hooves, “Come on, y’all, let’s get going.” She began walking down a small hill. When she did, Mystic gasped and her eyes popped open.

“Applejack!” she screamed. She dashed towards the farmer as she took another step forward. Quickly grabbing her with her strong hooves and pulling her away, the ground gave way

SCHLOOOMMMMPP!

A deep chasm about thirty feet long revealed itself as the earth gave way, only covering it by a thin layer of grass, dirt, and stone.

Mystic nearly stumbled onto her back as she held Applejack firmly. Dust flew into the air as the dirt and grass crashed to the bottom of the chasm. The farmer’s eyes were wide with horror, as were everypony else’s. Mystic quickly looked over Applejack to see if she’s okay. Not seeing a scratch on her, she verified she’s fine.

“Applejack, are you okay?” Twilight asked. Mystic let go of the farmer as she panted, her pupils shrunken to mere pinpricks.

“If Mystic hadn’t...” she panted out.

Her eyes still wide, knowing Applejack’s only an earth pony, she said, “That one was well hidden.” She looked away, “I spotted it a split second before you stood above it.”

Panting, Applejack gazed at Mystic, “Thank ya so much, Mystic. If you hadn’t...”

“Don’t try to think about it,” replied Mystic, “At least aloud anyway.”

“Easier said than done,” said Fluttershy, her eyes wide, “That was too close.”

Mystic looked around the open area, spotting two more‘bowls’ in the open field, one to the left and one to the right.

“We have to go around this one, and there’re two more nearby, making it a narrow path through the field.”

“Please lead the way, Ah hate to say it, but I want to be out of the open field,” Applejack panted, holding her chest as her heart rate slowed.

“I concur,” agreed Rarity.

As Mystic led them again towards the other side of the field, Fluttershy spoke up.

“Are there any more in the woods?”

Mystic sighed. “Yes.” She looked back with a grave expression, “Watch. Your. Step.”


When everypony reached the woods, they quickly got back to the stream. When they did, they heard rushing water, faster than what they’re used to in Equestria. Mystic explained that they’re white rapids and part of them runs parallel to the stream they’re following into a large lake in the middle of the woods before breaking into smoother rapids when the water leaves the lake. She admitted to swimming in it one time during a hot day during the peak of summer. Although it does get hot here, it’s rare.

Mystic stopped again, and everypony saw she’s motioning to another ‘bowl.’ While the ‘bowl’ isn’t part of the stream, was a few feet away.

“Ah don’t even wanna fall down that,” Applejack suddenly said, holding her chest.

“You’ll be fine, Applejack,” Sunset assured her, “Just watch your step.”

“G-Good idea...” the farmer shivered.

Soon, it became the late afternoon, the ponies ate their packed blueberries Mystic suggested they take, the sun would be setting within a couple hours and they’re not moving as fast as Mystic would’ve liked, but they’re not too far behind. Rarity and Fluttershy constantly kept gazing around for the ‘bowls’ Applejack’s eyes kept darting around while Twilight flew alongside Rainbow, flying to give her hooves a rest.

When they reached a hill, the trees were not as thick as they were before and the mountains were even closer.

“Hey, we’re making good time!” Pinkie said happily.

“Only because I know the way,” said Mystic, “If you didn’t, you’d probably have more to worry about than just seeing a few bears and nearly falling.”

Applejack cringed, “Well, we’re a might glad y’all are leadin’ us Mystic.”

“It’s not a big deal.”

Suddenly a low wailing roar, sounding somewhat like a pony’s voice pierced through the atmosphere. Mystic was the first to go completely still. Everypony else stopped and looked around.

“What was that?” Fluttershy asked nervously.

“I don’t know, it sounded like a pony,” said Sunset.

“I’ve never heard anything like that,” added Twilight.

Applejack noticed Mystic looking behind them, her eyes wide and pupils shrunken.

“What is it, Mystic?” she asked a little frantic, looking behind her but seeing nothing but trees.

“What’s gotten into her?” Rarity asked.

“We need to move. Now,” said Mystic, regaining her composure.

“What was that?” Fluttershy asked as they began moving faster.

“It was a wendigo.”

“A windigo?” Pinkie asked, confused, “That didn’t sound like a windigo.”

“No, it’s a different kind of creature than what you’re thinking about,” said Mystic, now breaking into a trot, “The further we get from its hunting grounds we’ll be fine.”

“Did you know about it?” Sunset asked, knowing full well what Mystic’s talking about.

“No. It wasn’t here the last time I came through here,” Mystic spoke quickly, “It must’ve moved here in between now and then.”

“What are you talking about if it’s not like the wintry beasts?” Rarity asked.

“One word.”

Mystic paused.

“Cannibalism.”

Everypony but Sunset gasped in horror. Who knows what other horrors await them in these woods? How does Mystic know how to get through them as she did? Did she know the right way by chance? Did somepony tell her? It’s probably the latter, she’s very young.

“C-Cannibalism?” Fluttershy whimpered out.

Mystic cringed, “I didn’t want to talk about it to any of you unless you really pushed me or...” The wendigo let out another low roar, though this one sounded gleeful, “If we heard one.”

Moving faster, Mystic thought to herself, I guess I’m not going through this forest again after we return in broad daylight. They can stay in the forest for a while, I’d better not cross paths with it.


Soon, the sun was setting. The trees were far apart from one another and just passed them there were smaller barren trees with some twigs at the base of the mountain roughly one thousand feet away. Mystic had them stop so they can set up camp but again warned them about not making a fire.

“Then what will we do for warmth?” Rarity asked.

“We insolate, do you know what that is?”

“Yes.”

Mystic nodded, “I’ll get us a shelter set up.” She pulled out her machete and stepped into the woods and began chomping at small trees, slicing through with ease. Everypony began unpacking, Sunset unrolled a tarp she’d carried for Applejack.

“This is what we’ll sleep on,” she said, “It’s big enough for all of us.”

“Nice, and there’re plenty of rocks everywhere,” said Twilight.

“I’ll get out our blankies!” Pinkie declared, reaching into her bag and pulling out several blankets where it seemed impossible to fit them all in.

Fluttershy sat down next to Rarity, the unicorn checking her ‘necessities’ which meant she overpacked a little bit concerning clothes. When she pulled out a nice evening gown, she raised an eyebrow.

“You brought a fancy blue gown? While we’re out in the woods?” she asked.

“If we were going to the moon, I’d insist everypony and I would pack an evening gown, one never knows darling,” Rarity stated. Fluttershy just smiled.

Twilight and Sunset worked together on spreading the tarp across with their magic as Applejack place stones down to keep it in place. Mystic came back with some large sticks carved into poles to keep the roof up, and she brought some vines to weave together later.

“Rainbow, can you help Mystic find something to cover us from the elements?” Applejack asked.

Rainbow groaned but obliged when Applejack glared. Mystic didn’t like it either as she stuck the poles into the ground, they’re about 5 feet high.

“What’re the vines for?” Rarity asked.

“To keep the wind from blowing on us,” replied Mystic as she stuck a stick into the ground, “It’s going to be blowing all night.”

“That sounds doable.”

“In this part of the world, you survive or die. Even the weather is a danger to us.”


Rainbow watched as everypony got settled in, Mystic used her magical rope around the corners of sticks, forming a square and placed it on top of the sticks standing up. When that was done, she did the same thing again, making sure that the square stayed. Fluttershy and Rarity chatted with one another as Pinkie gobbled down some cupcakes, Sunset comforted Twilight again and assured her Starlight’s fine, they’ll find her.

“I don’t know, I just keep thinking of things that could’ve happened to her...” said Twilight.

“You need to try and stay calm,” Sunset said softly, “For her sake.”

“I’m trying, Sunset, it’s just difficult...”

“I know, but she’s a strong pony. This’ll be over before you know it.”

“I hope so.”

While everypony was doing their own thing, Rainbow just sat down with an impatient look. The sun has set and it’s now twilight time. She needed to do something. Anything. Her eyes lit up as she got an idea on what she can do.

She was going to gather firewood to light a fire.


About five minutes passed and the shelter’s finished. Rarity inwardly wished she had some lanterns to decorate it, but she kept those thoughts to herself knowing that they’re childish.

“Okay, everypony!” said Applejack, “Let’s eat some apples Ah packed and save some of the food y’all packed. Gotta stretch it out some.”

“Ohhh, but I’m hungry!” Pinkie whined.

“Really Pinkie?” Applejack deadpanned, “Y’all have had six cupcakes since we began to sit here! Ah don’t think y’all are hungry.”

“I had ten actually!”

“Then yer definitely not hungry.”

Applejack pulled out several apples and a cutting knife, she cut the apples in half and began going around the campsite for everypony (except Pinkie) to take one. Mystic, deciding to conserve her food, took one as well. What everypony failed to notice is that Rainbow returned from the woods with small sticks and logs. Shivering, she placed them down.

“Brrrr!” Pinkie shivered, “It’s getting cold out here!”

“I know,” said Mystic.

“Are you certain we have to insulate?” Rarity asked.

“Yes. We can’t light fires out here.”

“Let’s just hurry up and eat,” Twilight shivered, “I’m ready to get warm.”

“Same here,” Sunset shivered.

“Hey girls, have you seen Rainbow?” Applejack asked.

“Wasn’t she over there?” Twilight asked, then she gasped loudly, “Rainbow!”

Rainbow jumped and everypony gasped in horror when they saw a fire going.

“Pegasus!” Mystic roared, she shot up from her seat. She shoved Rainbow aside, levitated the logs and threw them into the nearby stream. She patted the ground desperately, putting out the remaining flames.

Mystic looked around with wide eyes, concerned that the fire might’ve attracted something.

Nopony made a sound.

Nopony moved.

Wind eerily whistled above them as the forest got darker and the last bands of the sunset vanished, officially making it night. The moon’s not out yet, and it got very quiet.

When Mystic was about to say everything was okay...

A couple of loud snaps came from the woods.

Mystic looked over at the others.

“Move, now, and follow me,” she said in a quick quiet voice. Everypony got up from their seats and began grabbing stuff, “No! Don’t grab anything, it’s too late.”

Despite uncertain looks, everypony obliged, following Mystic to the mountains. Their campsite disappeared from their view as they crouched and moved fast. Seeing a small cave underneath a large rock, Mystic headed towards it, everypony following her before ducking inside. Fortunately, it was big enough for all eight of them. Mystic turned back towards the exit facing where the campsite is.

A large wooden figure stepped out of the woods. It was eleven feet tall, had branches for hands and its legs were made out of large, thick vines. Everypony’s breaths caught in their throats at the sight of it.

“Don’t. Make. A. Sound,” Mystic whispered, her breath nearly caught in her throat.

As everypony watched it, they noticed some bears and coyotes circling around the area, but staying back from the wooden figure. After what seemed like hours, the bears and coyotes left. The tree figure stayed around for a little longer before it disappeared back into the forest.

“Wh-what was that?” Fluttershy breathed out, her heart pounding out of her chest.

“It was a Tree Person...” Mystic whispered, “Trees that move around like bi-pedal beings...” She took in a breath, “I’ve only seen another once.”

“W-Was it attracted to the fire, too?” Applejack asked.

Mystic nodded.

Everypony was silent for a little bit longer, and Mystic realized that they were holding onto one another, including herself holding Applejack’s foreleg. Then, she bared her teeth and glared at Rainbow.

“You idiot!” she said angrily, grabbing her by the shoulders, “Didn’t I tell you not to light a fire?!”

Rainbow gulped, “I-I wanted to help! I wanted to...”

“Well, you didn’t! You gave us away and they more than likely tore our campsite into pieces!”

“Wh-what?” Rarity squeaked out.

“As somepony who’s been in this forest, you were supposed to listen to me! You could’ve gotten us hurt or worse!”

“She’s right Rainbow,” said Twilight. Rainbow gained a look of surprise as she looked at Twilight behind Mystic, “You knew better and yet you lit up a fire. And look at what happened.”

“Thanks a lot, Rainbow,” Sunset grumbled.

“We can’t go back to our campsite until morning,” said Mystic, “Only then can we gather what’s left.” She growled at Rainbow, “Normally I wouldn’t have to put up with a hot-headed brash pegasus! Apparently having one with me is more trouble than what it’s worth, but be grateful you have friends that care about you.” She looked at the others, “I do not want to lecture or care for this stupid pegasus like I’m a parent or her babysitter!” She looked away, “She’s clearly not willing to listen to me.”

As Mystic laid back against the rocky wall, Rainbow made herself as small as possible as her friends looked at her with disappointed glares.

“Let’s all bundle together,” said Twilight, “We can use our bodies’ heat to stay warm.”

“Ooooohhh! And I have this!” Pinkie pulled out a large blanket from seemingly out of nowhere.

Mystic’s eyes widened and she was the first to blurt out, “Where did you get that?!”

Pinkie giggled, “I have my ways.”

Mystic blinked a few times, “That’s not even possible.”

“It’s Pinkie, don’t question it,” said Fluttershy. “It’ll make your life easier.”

Fluttershy and her friends bundled close together as snuggle buddies while Rarity mentioned she hated not having to sleep on the tarp. It’s much to Rainbow’s embarrassment after what she’d done, she’s full of regret and shame as she joined them. Mystic, knowing she would freeze without the blanket and their body heat, she joined them and snuggled up to Applejack.

“Let’s not speak of this after tonight...” Mystic muttered, feeling a little embarrassed. Twilight levitated the large blanket over everypony as they snuggled closer.

“So, what next?” Fluttershy asked.

“Climbing the mountain,” said Mystic, taking a side glance to her satchel she’d brought, inwardly thankful she did, “It’s going to be rough and take a lot of the day up and down it. Be advised, the winds will get rough and we’ll likely enter avalanche zones.”

“A-Avalanche?” Fluttershy stuttered.

Mystic nodded, “It’s going to be a rough day tomorrow. So get some sleep.”

“Good night everypony,” said Applejack, followed by everypony else’s good nights and Pinkie’s cheery one. Mystic stayed silent, focused on the task at hoof.

They wouldn’t get as much sleep as they’d like, being on the rocky floor, the few howls of coyotes they heard over the sound of the wind. Where are Starlight and Sunburst? Are they okay? Did they even make it past the mountains?

Author's Note:

Well, there you go! :twilightsmile: Another chapter down, and I hope you all have a happy Easter!

And remember, Christ the Lord has risen on that day! :twilightsmile:

Anywho, I hope you all enjoyed and leave your thoughts about the chapter below! :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next