• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 1,666 Views, 30 Comments

A Tale Never Told - TimeFactor



A group of ponies uncover a sinister plot in Canterlot.

  • ...
0
 30
 1,666

Action

"Hey, how long are we supposed to stay here?"

The Changeling guards were sitting by the dungeon's exit, each taking turns to check on the prisoners before sitting down again. They were still disguised as Canterlot guards, even continuing to imitate their usual deep gruff voices. However, their behavior was far from proper as they bickered over trivial issues.

"Her Highness will return shortly after all the ponies have been rounded up. We just have to be patient."

"Ugh! But I'm starving! What about that other one? I'm sure the Queen won't mind if I feast off of him!"

"No! She specifically said to not lay another hoof on him!" He then turned his head towards the middle cell. "And would you quit doing that before I make you!"

Vinyl was pacing back and forth by the cell's doors, repeatedly knocking her head against the wall. The mare had been constantly mumbling to herself to the annoyance of the guards. She had received several threats of being beaten senselessly, but none of them ever came to fruition. Vinyl stopped periodically to check on the others, but they were not doing much either.

Octavia sat against the wall, eyes closed and arms crossed with her head leaning back. She had not spoken even once since everyone regained consciousness. Bon Bon was opposite from her. Her body lied on the rough stone floor with her eyes wandering aimlessly. Thoughts about a green-eyed Lyra repeatedly flashed in her mind. Was her best friend all right? What was she doing right now? Is it too late to save her? Bon Bon wanted to act, but there was no action to take, only sighing heavily.

"Lyra's all right." Octavia said. "I can assure you that."

"How do you figure?"

"The Changeling Queen was boastful. She took too much pride in herself. Someone like that would never waste her victims until they've served their purpose."

"And that would be?"

"It's obvious, don't you think?"

"I know... I just thought you could've just said something to lighten the mood..."

"That's...not exactly my specialty. But at least you're doing much better than that stallion friend of yours."

The Doctor sat in the farthest side of the room. He was facing the wall, head lowered with a sullen expression. Like Octavia he had also remained silent for a long time. Derpy was sitting by his side, gently holding him with both arms and occasionally patting him on the back. The mare was using her feathers to wipe tears from his eyes.

"I had that dream again..." he said in a quiet, broken voice.

"And like I said before," Derpy replied with an assuring tone, "it wasn't your fault."

"But...I was right there! Couldn't I have just-?"

"You know what would've happened if you did. We all have to make tough decisions, right?"

He nodded slowly. "You'd think I'd know that by now... Derpy, can I ask you something?"

The mare let go of the Doctor and properly faced him. "What is it?"

"Why do you continue joining me on my adventures? After I let him... Is it because you just see me as a substitute for him?"

"Substitute?"

"I know you don't like talking about Six, but do you see me as nothing more than a replacement for him? He brought you adventure and excitement among other things. And I-...! Is that really different from you and me?"

Derpy turned around unresponsive. The Doctor reached out to her shoulder, but he ceased midway and stared down.

"Well, Derpy?"

"...You really are an idiot sometimes."

"Excuse me?" he said defensively.

"C'mon, Doc!" she said shaking him. "You're my friend! So what if you and Six were a lot alike? Friends stick by each other no matter what! Besides, I thought Twilight already taught you that?"

"I..." The Doctor did not know how to respond, but he soon chuckled. "Well Twilight's taught me a lot about Equestria, and I'm very grateful for her assistance...and her support." He sighed. "I just hope she's all right..."

Silence was dominant once again until Vinyl began trashing on the floor, this time more violently than her previous outbursts.

"Ugh! Does anypony have any idea on how to get out of here!"

"They can hear you." Octavia murmured.

"Hey, Doc! Don't you have anything?"

The stallion shook his head. "I'm afraid my screwdriver doesn't work on Equestrian locks. I could explain, but you would probably ask somepony else before-"

"Bon Bon! 'Tavi! Derpy! C'mon!"

"The only way we could get out is if the Queen commanded it." Octavia said. "Or in this case, anyone imitating Princess Cadenza, but I don't think either of them will-"

"Wait..." Bon Bon interrupted, "Cadance...?" She shifted her eyes towards Vinyl. "Quick, do you know any memory spells?"

"Er... Uh... Just that one spell that helps you remember what happened the last half hour ago since I kinda tend to forget the playlist order at some of my gigs. But I definitely know that Beat knows a couple of them."

"It's true," Octavia said, "but why do you need a memory?"

"I only heard a few words at best from Cadance," Bon Bon said, "I need more to work with!"

"The Doctor can do it." Derpy said plainly.

The mares all turned their heads towards the stallion. Sweat ran down his face as their stares became more intense. He was soon backed into the wall while Bon Bon gazed intently at his eyes.

"Is this true?"

He gulped. "Y-Yes, but why-?"

"No time! Give me everything you saw of that faker and I'll show you! Now!"

The Doctor sighed and told the mares to give him some space. He then seized Bon Bon's head and pressed his forehead against her own. Bon Bon eyes then widened, paralyzed with wonder as a surge of memories flowed into her mind. Within a few seconds, she relived the Doctor's entire encounter with Changeling Queen from his own eyes. She could even feel the Doctor's emotions which were..."complicated" to say the least. The flood of memories ceased once the stallion released her. Bon Bon stumbled back, but the Doctor quickly caught her.

"There. That's all you'll probably need. Now what?"

Bon Bon did not respond as she moved towards a corner next to the door, a blind spot for the slit used to peek inside. After clearing her throat, she began spouting a random series of words, each with a different pitch and tone. With each phrase the sound was deviating from the mare's natural voice until it was not even recognizable as her own.

"You fools!" she exclaimed in a near-perfect imitation of Cadance's voice. "What in the world are you doing? Help me, this instant!"

The guards looked at each other strangely. One rubbed his head while looking around. The other opened the exit door and peeked inside the hallway.

"Your Highness?"

"Yes! Who else would it be? One of them used magic to disguise herself and switched places with me! You've been following an impostor!"

"But then how did she know where-?"

"Stop asking questions and help your Queen!"

"You better do what she says." Octavia suddenly added. Her face was covering the slit. "I really don't want to get my hooves dirtier than they already are. Doctor, would be a dear and help me 'bond' with our new friend~?"

"Certainly!" the stallion happily exclaimed.

"W-Wait," Bon Bon said still using the princess' voice, "you not going to-! Open that door before they-Aaaugh!"

The Doctor and Octavia both kicked the wall on cue. Bon Bon coughed heavily and feigned anguished moans which was followed by only more rapid kicks against the hard stone.

"D-Don't lay another hoof on our Queen!" a guard exclaimed.

The door swung inward as the Changeling leaped inside, but he was perplexed to find no one but the prisoners. However, it was too late for him as Octavia already seized the opportunity the moment he came into her sight. The mare tackled the creature and held him against the wall with a powerful grip.

"Alright!" Vinyl exclaimed. "Way to go, Octavia!"

"Urgh! Pay attention! Behind you!"

Vinyl turn around to see the other guard trying to pounce on her, but he was knocked aside in a combined effort by the Doctor and Bon Bon. Meanwhile Derpy grabbed the unicorn and pulled her to a safer spot.

"Marvelous talent you have there, Bon Bon." the Doctor said as he retrained one of the Changeling's arms. "Hurgh! Is it natural to you or did you develop it?"

"Uh, kinda both I guess." She giggled while rubbing the back of her head. "When we were younger, Lyra and I were messing with some spells that we...shouldn't have been messing with in the first place. One of the spells backfired and Lyra ended up accidentally hit me with it. Long story short, my voice got messed up in a way that I could only speak in the voice of whoever I was thinking about."

"And you never sought medical attention?"

"I did, but the doctor said the circumstances mutated Lyra's spell, and it would be extremely difficult to undo. The best he could accomplish on his own was giving me better control of my own voice."

"Ah, so you've been refining this ability since then?"

"A little. Though I never thought I would actually need to use it like this!"

"Haha! A lot of ponies I meet tend to think that way regarding something about themselves. Now could you hold the door open for me?"

Bon Bon nodded and ran under the doorway calling for Vinyl and Derpy to follow. Once they were safely through, Octavia and Doctor faced each other with their respective captives. They both pushed forward, the Changelings' armor clanging upon impact as they dropped to the floor. The remaining ponies retreated with Bon Bon locking the door behind them.

"Dang," Vinyl said, "you two barely know each other and already make a good team."

"It's was the most logical thing to do." Octavia replied.

"And I trusted Octavia shared a similar idea~" the Doctor added.

"Yeah, yeah." the unicorn said. "Can we get outta here now? We still have an evil queen to stop!"

"Right you are! Shall we go then? Bon Bon, Vinyl, Octavia, Derpy... Derpy?"

The group's pegasus was the only one not present. Everyone soon turned to find her opening the door of an adjacent cell.

"Hey," Derpy said, "are you okay?"

Inside was a gray unicorn stallion lying on his side. His jet black mane was slightly overgrown and covering a small portion of his face. His cutie mark was a simple expressionless mask equally divided into white and black halves. The pony was dressed in a heavily torn black coat. His buttons were either missing or hanging loose and his red golden-laced collar was partially ripped off. The only piece left intact was his blue belt but even that looked like it was starting to wear out. The pony's condition was no better. Dark bruises covered his body, a majority of them centering around his face and culminating in a black eye. He was still conscious and began to stir after Derpy finished speaking.

"Ngh? Who-? What are you-?"

The pony was barely able to stand and on the verge of collapse, but Derpy quickly caught him and aided him through the doorway. She handed him to Octavia who began assessing his injuries.

"How did this happen?" Octavia asked as she began moving a hoof across his shirt.

"I'm...a member of Princess Cadenza's personal guard." he whispered. "My name is Onyx..."

His voice was weak. It was clearly difficult to utter anything more than a few words. Vinyl approached him and began casting magic. She did not know any healing spells besides a basic First Aid, but it was better than doing nothing.

"When the Changelings came," he continued, "I tried to protect her, but we were outnumbered. I fought back as long as I could. I think you can figure out what happened next...Urgh!"

"Don't push yourself!" Vinyl exclaimed. "Doc! Can't you help him?"

"I'm not that kind of doctor." the stallion replied. "Pony biology is still relatively new to me. I doubt I would be of much help."

"Then let's get him to a real doctor!"

"Even if we do take him," Octavia said, "I doubt there would be enough time to treat him. The Queen's plans are probably going to commence very soon."

"Then we'll split up again." the Doctor suggested. "Octavia, you obviously know your way around Canterlot the most out of any of us. You and Vinyl take this stallion to safety. Derpy and I will attend to the Queen. Bon Bon, what about you?"

The tan earth pony stared at both of her choices. Neither side cared for which one she chose, but rather that she did it quickly. Lyra was bound to be close to the Changelings. All Bon Bon had to do was search the castle for her. However, Onyx sounded like he was dying. Another pony would definitely speed up his transportation. Would two mares be able to protect him? Bon Bon figured that the Doctor and likewise Derpy were clearly experienced with these types of situations. Would she just be a burden if she joined them?

"Just bring her back, okay?"

The Doctor nodded. "I'll do my best."

The group agreed to stick together until they reached the castle's hallways. Onyx was carefully placed on Bon Bon's and Octavia's backs. Vinyl and the Doctor took the lead using magic and the sonic screwdriver respectively to light the way. The female earth ponies galloped closely behind them while Derpy hovered above Onyx, quickly grasping him if he ever began to slip.

Sunlight made a gracious return as the basement doors burst open. The pair of royal guards that had been guarding it were sent tumbling into the walls. Bon Bon and Octavia hurried past them with Vinyl now following and using her magic to keep Onyx steady. Meanwhile, the Doctor and Derpy approached one of the dazed guards. The stallion was still trying to steady his vibrating helmet.

"Sorry about that," the Doctor quickly said, "but where's the wedding being held?"

"Urgh... North part of the main courtyard, but its entrance is around the back."

"Thank you, sir. Let's go, Derpy! Allons-y!"

"Your welcome, sir..." He removed his helmet and grasped his head, rubbing an area he felt a bump starting to form. In a few seconds, he realized what had just occurred. "H-Hey! Wait! Stop!" However, it was too late for him. By the time his comrade recovered, the two ponies were gone.

Derpy flew beside the Doctor as they headed down the long corridors. They followed the progressively louder voices echoing down the halls. After a few turns they found some ponies a few meters ahead who were entering the wedding chamber.

"There it is!" Derpy exclaimed. "What now?"

"Blend in and do not draw attention to yourself."

The pair proceeded inside the chamber to find a large number of ponies already gathered inside. They were divided into two sections though it was clear family and friends were closer to the front. It appeared the rest was mostly determined by social standing. All of them were lined up, eagerly anticipating the bride's arrival.

The chamber itself was not large, but the towering height and tall, pointed-arch windows lining the walls gave that impression. There was not much variety in decorations, but they stood out once paired with the crowd. Large yellow tarps hung from the ceiling and converged on the chandelier in the center. Others also formed a bridge between the pillars on each side connecting the mounted flowerpots. Additional light came from the candelabras, two hanging from each pillar. The center had a long red, golden-lined carpet extending all the way to wedding gate adorned with flowers.

The Doctor and Derpy joined the group towards the right near the back of the room. They carefully distanced themselves from the entrance behind a few nobleponies. Peering above the others' heads, the Doctor spotted Twilight's friends wearing bridesmaid dresses.

"Hm? If Twilight's friends are there, then where are Lyra and the others?"

The new bridesmaids stood across from four of Shining Armor's aides-de-camp. The stallions were dressed the same clothing as Onyx although obviously not as heavily damaged.

"But it seems they never found a replacement for Onyx... Did he ever say exactly when he was captured?"

Finally, Princess Celestia stood atop the platform smiling as she gazed upon her subjects. Unlike the others she wore no formal attire. She retained the same look as any public appearance: her golden tiara, necklace, and shoes. The only thing that could add to this occasion would be the presence of Princess Luna, but it seemed she was absent for this occasion.

The groom himself stood in front of the wedding gate. Still wearing the same outfit from the previous night, he stood facing away from the crowd. However, the Doctor noted something peculiar. Shining Armor was motionless. Aside from rhythmic breathing, he did not seem to react to any stimulus. Not a single pony noticed this strange behavior, seemingly too preoccupied with anticipation.

"Derpy," the Doctor said nudging her, "keep an eye on the groom. Something is definitely wrong with him."

"Got it."

In a few seconds, a brigade of unicorns raised their trumpets to announce the arrival of the bride. The doors swung open as a trio of filly flower girls trotted down the aisle leaving a path of fuchsia petals. The Doctor recalled seeing them numerous times around Ponyville, mostly in strange antics in failed attempts of gaining their cutie marks. Seeing them sometimes made the Doctor feel a little guilty. He never actually "earned" a cutie mark yet he still had one. Of course he was never originally a pony to begin with and had already known his "special talent" beforehand. However, he still sometimes wondered about the "feeling" of receiving one.

Following the fillies was Princess Cadenza, but it was clear who she really was. She was dressed in Rarity's specially made wedding dress. It was still the same design the seamstress had originally but now with a purple bodice.

"Doc!" Derpy whispered. "Shining Armor turned his head! His eyes are green! In a creepy sort of way, I mean."

"The Queen must have entranced him. Shining Armor has no idea what's he doing."

"What now? I'm as fast as Rainbow Dash, but definitely think I could tackle her before even she notices."

"No. It would be useless to attack her right in the open. We'd just be arrested for assault. And I doubt many ponies would believe us revealing the truth."

"But Princess Celestia knows you! She could get everypony to listen!"

"I know that! But even the Princess has to play within legal limits too. She has no physical evidence. Forcing it out of the impostor would risk inducing massive panic. The only way we can move forward is getting the Queen to purposely expose herself."

The ceremony was proceeding uninterrupted. Princess Celestia stood between the false princess and bewitched captain reciting their oaths. It seemed Shining Armor retained some form of awareness as he responded with "I do" although with a dull monotone voice.

"Princess Cadance and Shining Armor," Celestia finally began, "it is my great pleasure to pronounce you-!"

"Stooooop!" a familiar voice exclaimed.

The Doctor turned his head and was both surprised and relieved to find Twilight standing beneath the doorway. Meanwhile the other ponies were discussing the mare's sudden intrusion. It appeared even Twilight's friends were annoyed by her presence. It seemed Twilight had recently garnered some notoriety.

"Ugh! Why does she have to be so possessive of her brother!" the impostor exclaimed as she stomped her hoof. She soon realized her uncharacteristic behavior after drawing a strange look from Celestia, "Why does she have to ruin my special day?" she asked feigning heartbreak.

"Because!" another familiar voice exclaimed. "It's not your special day! It's mine!"

The true Princess Cadenza appeared beside Twilight to the surprise of everyone, even more from the Doctor and Derpy. Many ponies gasped at these turn of events. Derpy was about to fly over and join her, but the Doctor held her back and shook his head.

"What! But how did you escape my bridesmaids?" the impostor angrily asked.

Twilight and Cadance exchanged knowing smiles. They explained their encounter with the original bridesmaids in the underground caverns and how they were easily able to distract them with the bouquet.

"Huh! Clever, but you're still too late!"

"I-I don't understand." Applejack said. "How can there be two of 'em?"

"She's a Changeling!" Cadance explained. "She takes the form of somepony you love and gains power by feeding off your love for them!"

The Queen eyes glowed a ghastly green, furious now that her identity was revealed. She used her magic to surround herself in a circle of green fire which soon evolved into a bright spiraling pillar. Everyone nearby recoiled while the rest observed in fear. The impostor's wings molted to reveal insect-like wings as the rest of her body decomposed to reveal her true Changeling form. Compared to a pony she rivaled Princess Celestia in stature, and unlike her subordinates she had hair and a proper tail although they were made out of the same material as her wings.

"Hahahaha! Right you are, Princess! And as Queen of the Changelings, it is up to me to find food for my subjects."

Recalling Octavia's earlier statements, the Doctor took the chance to contact Cadance through telepathy.

"Princess Cadance, can you hear me?"

"D-Doctor! Where are-?"

"Keep you eyes on the Queen!" the stallion commanded. "Yes, I'm alive, but you must not let the Queen become suspicious."

"Equestria has more love than any place I have ever encountered." the Queen continued. "My fellow Changelings will be able to devour so much of it that we gain more power than we ever dreamed of!"

"Keep her distracted." the Doctor told Cadance. "We have other important business to take care of. I'm sure Twilight will be enough to handle this."

"They'll never get the chance!" the princess exclaimed at the Queen. She quickly glanced over to the Doctor and Derpy who quietly sneaking out of the room through a window. "Shining Armor's protection spell will keep them from ever even reaching us!"

The Queen laughed. "Oh, I doubt that. Isn't that right, dear?"

The Changeling turned around with her glowing deformed horn. Shining Armor pupils glowed as he gave a simple nod. Cadance gazed at her manipulated groom in horror. She soon regained herself and charged forth but was quickly stopped by the Queen.

"Ah-ah-ah~" she said with her magic ready. "Don't want to go back to the caves now, do you?"

Cadance did not respond but still yielded to her threat.

"Ever since I took your place, I've been feeding of Shining Armor's love for you. Every moment he grows weaker and so does his spell. Even now my minions are chipping away at it!"

Still observing the conversation, Derpy looked up to see a swarms of black dots around Canterlot. Most of the Changelings were flying in place, but there was still a considerable number slamming themselves into the shield. No visible damage had appeared yet, but a weakening user also reflects his spell. It would not be long before it breaks. The pegasus dove towards the brown stallion and flew beside him as he was making his way towards the city.

"Hey, Doc! Why didn't we stay and help them?"

"She was stalling, Derpy."

"Well, duh! A little more time and an entire army's gonna invade Canterlot!"

"That's not it. With Shining Armor under her spell combined with the power gathered from his love, the Queen could have easily dispelled his magic, but she didn't. There's something more to this scheme than taking over Canterlot..."

"Like what?"

"I'll explain my theory later! Right now we need to speak with Onyx. He might be able to provide some missing links."

As the pair reached the outer edge of the city, there was the sound of glass shattering overhead. Shining Armor's shield was falling apart. The Changeling Invasion had begun.

"Let's just hope we get to him first..."

Author's Note:

Reasons for delay:
- school work
- midterms
- college applications
- multiple illnesses in a row
- holiday commitments
- new videogames
- Steam winter sale
- procrastination

Comments ( 2 )

Viable excuses accepted:derpytongue2:...I did 3/4 of those:twilightblush:

PL

Another great chapter and starting to see your version of Doctor coming to light,
but note that the Doctor never cry only when a companion dies or has terrible fate.

Login or register to comment