• Published 8th Dec 2019
  • 1,529 Views, 17 Comments

To Be Malevolent - The Bannerlord



Where an inexplicable displacement creates a malevolent being bent on torturing the world to sate his phantom pain. Elsewhere, another manipulates from the shadows.

  • ...
3
 17
 1,529

12 - Creator

Time Skip - Past


Atop the cliffs before the Canterville fields stood a Unicorn, pelt stark-white. Lament. His observation became intervention for the battle taking place. The semi-deranged Unicorn took to admiring the shimmering armour and gleaming weaponry of the combatants,

Lament was gleeful. He had fulfilled his task. His personal assignment, to end Chaos and his reign. There, in the distance laid the Dark Unicorn’s body, expression one of astonishment and fear. Fear. The King of Shades felt fear. Before him stood the alabaster Empress Celestia, smeared in searing crimson blood and donning Daybreaker’s personal armour, her prior form having been shed from a powerful dark magic blast. Next to the Empress was Queen Luna, whose form had too been shed during their mutual charge against the King of Shades. Now, the Shade was impaled. In addition to both Alicorn’s personal weapons, a spear protruded from his chest, one imbued with dark magic which hadn’t been utilised by either former-Princesses.

The ethereal howls and screeches of Shades resonated as they dissipated into dust and drifted into the wind. The clatter of armour plating impacted against the cold hard and muddy forest floor. Blades clashing against plate too fell and struck the floor. Not a cheer, not a triumphant cry. The Solar, Lunar and Crystal Legions collectively breathed a sigh of relief. This was not a conflict of belief, of glory and honour. This was a conflict of survival, and they had survived.

Blissful silence held sovereignty over the fields before Canterville. Serenity once more crept into the empyrean, casting away the shroud that once reigned over its expanse. The Solar-Lunar Eclipse ended, with it, the moon was lowered whilst the sun ascended beyond its prior limits set by Daybreaker, to its position before the Eclipse.

Chaos, fanged mouth agape could see his very own heart. No, the peregrine Unicorn’s heart before him, held in magic by the Celestial Princess. He shakily eyed his chest, at the spear protruding from it. He could feel his communication with the host severed completely. Every desperate mental call was left unanswered. His mind was emptied with the flood of fear and disbelief. The host was deceased. All but one sensation halted. The flow of dark magic.

A new emotion shrouded the King of Shades’ mind. Hatred. An emotion he had seldom felt. A truer emotion than its predecessors. Then was the boastful, arrogant and callous nature of prior. Now replaced with the truth. He had lost the only thing that mattered. His horn ignited in pearl-white flame, much to the surprise of the Equestrian rulers. Raising his head, Chaos gave a glare like none before. Yet, the Dark Unicorn was silent. Not a word uttered, not a growl, hiss or cry.

Instead. He chuckled. The chuckle grew into quiet, rasping laughter. His Alicorn opponents simultaneously flared their respective horns, prepared for a summary execution. Then, his eyes focused on Empress Celestia. With great effort, he warned. “There are no happy endings, Celestia.”

The Dark Unicorn casted a shield accompanied by a blinding light. His next manoeuvre a teleport. Yet it was already too late, the Alicorn Sisters had unleashed their Solar and Lunar magic onto him. His cold, white eyes dilated in surprise. Death gently caressed his pelt, pushing the Unicorn into his coffin. He thrashed, writhed and squirmed, unable to escape.

Suddenly, the pain had arrived. The magic of which that held it back had faded, now, he could feel everything. Everything. The weight and consequence had collapsed onto him, shattering whatever was left of his composure. He wailed, cried in pain, in great sorrow, terror and pain, solitary within the security of his personal fortress in Equestria. No company, no reconciliation, no redemption. Merely the monotony, the relapse of his mentality. Then came the painful visions, clawing into his mind, prowling through the abyssal depth. Hissing and growling followed suite.

Back in the Canterville fields, Lament had already escaped, disappearing from Ponykind, once more into the vast Everfree forest. He would remember this day fondly, this hour fondly. Cherishing every second his sibling suffered that spear of which he had thrown. The debt of Chaos was paid, and Lament had collected it.

He desired nothing more, no more was to be accomplished, surely. Ascension was impossible, surely. He desired a simple life. One beyond the boundaries which had been set prior. Ones he set himself. To face his deceased sibling. Now, to live a life without conflict.


Time Skip - Present


Grand Gallery was chained, a manacle for each hoof. Nascent Magical inhibitors were carefully placed onto his horn. There is no escape. He was in the Solar Fortress dungeon, a wretched and bitter cave with bars of iron separating him and his captors. Around him, dozens of Unicorns whom had endorsed Dark Magic, even Earth ponies and Pegasi, whom supported these Unicorns. Squirming, the once pristine Unicorn cried out in desperation. Yet no answer was given. This was the blissful silence he desired, a life of quiet and simplicity. Monotone and mundane. He detested it. He despised it.

All he could do was reminisce. And oh, did he reminisce. Memories fond and detestable found their way through the mind, once abandoned and kept hidden from the Unicorn.

Those damned Solar Crusaders jeered and pummelled him, despite his lack of resistance. He demanded their heads, yet he controlled himself, composed those emotions and organised them. Perhaps it was better this way. Sighing, the painter lowered his head in acceptance. He wouldn’t be able to escape these chains.

He had not a clue about how long he stayed in the confines of the fortress. He couldn’t see the sun or the moon. Both hidden beyond the cavern walls. Yet a mere glimpse of either would bring him solace, he had decided. He should’ve felt content in the darkness, for it was the only place that accepted him. He should’ve felt content, having been surrounded by chained supporters. He despised it so much. This was the blissful silence he despised, a life within captivity, within solitude, surrounded by living corpses.

The chains once more rattled, rustling in the cold Canterlot cavern, its resonant echo reverberated off the walls. Still, silence. It drove him mad. For his musing did nothing. He wanted to scream, yet his body refused to obey such a simple command. He wanted to wail, yet his subconscious disobeyed even that. Still, so quiet, so cold. So cold.

Only one Crusader was stationed here, the rest sent off to hunt, the imprisoned were too weak to retaliate anyhow. Then, the clip-clop of armoured hooves filled the stygian chamber, a luminescent glow presented itself. Gentle and cerulean, it billowed and struck the Solar Crusader, lifting him and slamming his body against the jagged walls. Not a moment later did the unconscious form of the Crusader slump onto the floor, a hiss escaping their lip.

Only Gallery reared his head, the rest of the cell occupants laid motionless. He stood onto his hooves as a cerulean glow created the rough silhouette of a Unicorn, and a rather tall one at that. His eyes narrowed as the enigmatic figure adopted a regal stance and approached, unlocking the barred entrance of the cell. No… That wasn’t a Unicorn. Shaded wings flared, noticeable spikes at the tip of each feather.

Stepping into the view of Gallery, a towering Alicorn. Alabaster in pelt, mane, tail and eye. He was taller than both Princess Celestia and Luna, at least head taller than the older of the two. The Alicorn lacked regalia, not a crown, coronet or circlet. Instead, in its place was a helmet resembling a crown, however, it was less decorative and more practical. His silvery and ethereal mane flown wildly in phantom wind; excess magic flowed from it. An unnatural aura emanated from the Alicorn stallion, overwhelming in power. Gallery could feel it pass through his pelt and penetrate into his flesh, it was foreign, yet he recognised it from… Somewhere. Strangely enough, the Alicorn lacked a mark on his flank.

The Alicorn stallion bore an expression of neutrality, not a smile, not venomous. Merely a regal façade, unbreakable by conventional means.

“Shed your pelt, and reveal your true, dishevelled self.” The Alicorn commanded, his voice resonated authority and power, drilling into the stark-white Unicorn’s skull. Hoof extended, he tapped Gallery. His command was heeded, as the painter of Canterlot subconsciously removed his ‘disguise’. Behind that mask was Lament, the sable eyes overtaking his prior golden.

“W-who… Who are you?” He managed to utter, weakly examining the mountain of a pony, his chains dragging his body back.

“Do you not recognise your own creator, my dear little Contingency?” The radiant Alicorn rhetorically asked, patting the chained Unicorn on his head. “It is no surprise, favoured creation. But I digress. Now, I am in need of your assistance.”

Lament narrowed his eye. “You’re… You are the one who create me? The one from my dreams? You- You are the one who tortured me, aren’t you?” He rasped with venom, glaring at the Alicorn.

“Indeed, my favoured creation. So quick to accept the truth. Now be quiet. You have no say in this matter, it is irrelevant.” Reprimanded the illuminated Alicorn, turning his back on the Unicorn, whom once more subconsciously obeyed his command.

“As we speak, your sibling, the first apparition, or rather I’d rather call ‘Revenant’ has failed to accomplish his primary task.” A projection of the Dark Unicorn appeared before him, dissipating soon after. “Contingency, you too have failed. You escape prematurely, and in addition, you had failed your secondary objective.” He paused, sighed and hoof-palmed “You disappoint me, favoured creation. But my words mean little to you, don’t they?”

A slow nod came from Lament.

“Favoured creation, I am still incorporeal. What you see is a magical projection, I am ethereal. Equestria REQUIRES me to survive. Without me, they will perish in future conflict.” He spoke with urgency.

“I have been unable to reach out to Revenant. My efforts to parley with him have resulted in… less than desirable outcomes and circumstances.”

“Instead, Contingency, I shall grant you a second chance. Still, I value Revenant for his prowess in combat, and among other things. Lure the Princesses to the centre of the Everfree, where it is imperative that they discover a cave containing a crystalline tree. They must find it, by any means necessary. Favoured creation, is that understood?”

Lament felt obligated to comply. “Y-yes… Creator… N-no… No… What am I saying?!” His eyes dilated. He still felt the need to rebel, to go against this Alicorn. Yet his subconscious commanded him to do so.

“This isn’t a choice. It is a command. Do as I order, Contingency.” The Alicorn unleashed a low growl.

“As you command, Creator.” Lament finally conceded. Still, a discrepancy presented itself. “How am I to escape this blasted cell?!”

“Slip back into consciousness, Contingency. The Cerulean Princess awaits. Harmony awaits. But be wary of who you trust.” With those departing words, the Alicorn disappeared from view, and Lament saw true light once more.

There, beyond the bars of iron, was the exact same silhouette of a Unicorn with cerulean magic. This time however, the figure beckoned him closer with a gesture of his hoof. Lament found his chains broken, his façade of Gallery on once more. He forced himself forward, dragging the battered limbs forward and slumping onto the bars, where he could see the enigmatic Unicorn.

“Her majesty sends her regards, Grand Gallery.” The hooded Unicorn whispered, horn ignited as he gathered medical supplies and started to mend the weakened Gallery. “She desires your release from this prison, yet now it is unsafe. Very soon, you will be interrogated, afterwards, we shall break you from the fortress.”

“Let… Me… Out…” Gallery demanded with a growl.

“Patience, the risk of discovery is simply too great at this moment; they send guards here as we speak.” The enigmatic Unicorn explained. Then, he snapped his head to face the entrance. Without another word, he had turned into mist, a technique Gallery had attempted many times during his brief captivity. Though, it required great concentration and power. Unfortunately, Solar magical inhibitors were far superior than their predecessors, eliminating the possibility of a Dark magician escaping its grasp.

The Unicorn disappeared from view into the abyssal shadows, much to the dismay of the captive.

Then came the Solar Crusaders. Their armoured hooves crashing against the floor announcing their entrance. There were three of them, heavily armed and armoured, their eyes cold and merciless. Each, stoic expression plastered onto their visage. They hadn’t even bothered to keep quiet, waking every other prisoner in the dungeon. Though, they were too weak to incite a revolt.

In the corner, laid the lonesome guard of these cells. He was prodded by the Crusaders, checking if he was deceased or merely sleeping on duty. Gallery’s view was impaired when a Crusader unlocked the barred gate, unceremoniously pushing the door and swiftly wrapped a hoof around Gallery, dragging him out of the cell.

To his credit, Gallery didn’t bother to resist, not even a slight act of aggression. It would only make his sentence worse. Well, his sentence was death. Of course, it was, only that it would be even more depraved and brutal in his possible mutilation. Equestrians didn’t really care for their own kinsmen if said kinsmen had even slightly tapped into dark magic.

Soon, Gallery felt time fade into obscurity. It was as if the entire trip to the interrogation chamber took merely a second. The guards were stoic, extremely stoic. Not a glance exchanged. Not a word escaped their maw.

Now, he found himself chained once more, this time in a… Roomier environment, once could say. Standing face-to-face before him was the crimson Unicorn. A snarl decorated the glaive-loving Lieutenant.

“Oh, what grave irony Grand Gallery. I admit, for the longest time, I had admired your work. I thought of you as a beacon of light, merely witnessing the paint on canvas.” Crimson Glaive complimented causing the painter to raise an eyebrow. “To learn that one as renown and as enigmatic as you were corrupted by forbidden magic, it had torn me.” He admitted, releasing a sigh.

Gallery merely listened contently; his accomplice would help him escape later.

Then, Crimson’s tone became serious. “You’re noble, I have to admit, I was the one whom tried his luck killing the Princess.” He paused, sighing once more. “You saved her, you stood in front of an attack that would’ve obliterated her. Very… Very brave of you.”

Gallery chuckled at that. “I took the liberty of creating a shield powerful enough to stop that. To your credit, you are an incredibly powerful Unicorn.”

“Now. Tell me,” Glaive’s expression turned cold, his tone inquisitive. “Where hides the prey of bird? Where prowls the magicians of forbidden arts?” He narrowed his eyes. “Perhaps they have hidden with Chaos. Perhaps they have eluded us to join with the Dark Unicorn himself.”

At that, Gallery’s eyes widened. He didn’t believe the `Creator` when he mentioned a `Revenant` being the first apparition. There needed to be evidence. Yet he wasn’t granted any.

“His agents prowl this castle. They roam as if it was their own. I know they are here, yet the rest of the stubborn imbeciles of the Sun refuse to believe me. Allegiant knows there are traitors within our ranks.” Glaive chuckled, shaking his head. “Hah, that’s why he released me in fact, apparently, I am ‘suitable’ for this position. But I digress.”

“Is this an interrogation?” Came the voice of Allegiant Light. Crimson snapped his head and saw the stern Earth pony and weakly chuckled, slightly shrinking. “Or your mad ramblings about Shades, Crimson Glaive?” He rhetorically questioned causing the Unicorn to shrink even more. Then, he continued with an expression of neutrality. “No, continue. Please, continue. You’re slowly getting to the point.”

“As-Ahem. As you wish, sir. Now, Grand Gallery. Tell me...”


Time Skip


Arcane Scroll composed himself, taking deep breath after deep breath to prepare himself. He was about to enter Chaos’ personal chambers. Being his most faithful servant, Arcane had found the Dark Unicorn rather volatile to be around. The King was unstable, possibly due to his two-century imprisonment, possibly due to being defeated, perhaps the dark magic really had taken over his mind completely. But Arcane felt unsure whether he should enter, to confront him. To speak of the Pact’s greater plans. After all, he was technically the de-facto leader of the Pact, Eidolon felt more like a figurehead rather than an actual leader.

Placing a hoof onto the charcoal door to the Dark Unicorn’s personal chambers, he sighed once more. Arcane, you’d better not mess this up… You know what he is like when he loses his control. Oh, by the Goddesses you know what… As he trailed off, the door creaked open. Sweet music filled his ears. The piano in all of its glory, each note as harmonious as the last. Every crevice of his mind was massaged with it. He calmed, hooves practically moving on their own as he arrived into the chamber of Chaos.

There, an unexpected sight. Chaos, the Dark Unicorn, Lord of Fear, King of Shades, he was playing the piano. Of course, with some guidance from the only Earth pony within the tower, First Symphony. A genuine smile found itself on the Dark Unicorn, one which surprised Arcane, who noticed yet another pony in the room.

Princess Chrysalis sat content on a cushioned seat. Levitating in her magic was a cup of tea, which she took sips of occasionally. Her ears were perked, each note of the piano entered without hinderance. The room was tranquil. It was almost another realm entirely. Sealed from the terrors beyond its confines.

Chaos finished his mediocre playing of the piano, clapping of hooves followed suit. He turned to face Arcane, a hoof beckoning the younger Unicorn forward.

“Chaos-Ur welcomes you Arcane Scroll, but to this place where destiny is to be made, what have you to tell me?” The Dark Unicorn did his greatest Dagoth Ur impression possible, internally chuckling.

“Oh-er. Your emi- Chaos…Ur…?”

“Come now, Arcane.” Chaos’ tone had turned into a calm, composed variant of its prior authoritarian. “Would tea be of interest to you? Perhaps, some other beverage?” He offered, tilting his head and continuing his smile. “After all, comradery is the pact’s finest weapon, is it not?”

“What has gotten you so… Calm?” Arcane queried, narrowing his eyes, suspicious at the change of character. “And, yes, I would enjoy some tea.”

The Dark Unicorn sighed, shaking his and chuckling, “Good. Perhaps I had been so… unstable before due to an, hm, external force… At least, that is a theory. Though, I have leap over the boundaries set in place by my previously weaker thoughts and feelings.” He spoke, tone and expression becoming serious. “But,” Then, it twisted into one of concern, “I do suspect one of attempting to breach my mind, perhaps Moon and Star have finally found the keys to my inner sanctum. Perhaps, perhaps not.”

Arcane approached the triumvirate, respectfully bowing before the Princess. “Your highness.”

“Please, call me Chrysalis, I am Princess of no land here.” She humbly replied, a surprised look came from the Unicorn. Chuckling at the cloak wearing Onyx sorcerer, Chrysalis levitated a cup of tea over to him. “You must be the Unicorn whom released the King. As you are his saviour, I thank you. By doing so, you have indirectly saved me from a most likely fatal experience on the battlefield.” She granted a warm smile and another chuckle to the now flushed Arcane.

The King of Shades nodded to his Earth pony pianist and joined the duo in their one-sided conversation. “Arcane Scroll, you’ve something to tell me?” His now soft and gentle voice queried.

“Indeed. It is time you learn of the pact’s intentions, your eminence.” Scroll cleared his throat, the others looked on expectantly. “The Pact’s intentions extend from merely saving our people and overthrowing Princess Celestia, as you may have heard. Our true goals are to disband the Crusaders of the Sun, we truly want peace. Yet,” A sigh “they grant us no quarter.”

Scroll turned his head to face Chrysalis. “Princess Chrysalis, as Governess, or rather former Governess of Canterlot, you have safeguarded our people for a decade. Why? Why do you do these things for us?”

“Temporarily unavailable Governess of Canterlot.” Chrysalis muttered and chuckled, a slight chuckle came from the others too.

She cleared her throat, “I saw a people butchered. I saw Ponies killing Ponies, brothers and sisters putting each other to the blade, how was I to spread love and joy to all, if all despised each other? This problem has reverberated itself in the Bat pony race, whom too are kept in the dark. Tortured and mutilated for their difference. They speak of Vampires, yet Bat ponies commit to the exact rituals any Pegasus would. They are merely nocturnal, their appearance merely adapted to their preferred environment. Au-Ahem… Princess Luna has so far been successful in protecting them from harm, and she is casted down because of it. The Night Mare, they call her, a Witch, they call her.”

Chaos placed a hoof onto his forehead and shook his head in disappointment, sighing afterwards. “I knew this would happen.”

“Excuse me?” Both Arcane and Chrysalis asked.

“We wouldn’t be able to conceive an alliance in a millennium even if we tried. Luna is too stubborn to swallow her pride, to concede to me would be harder than taking her betraying her own sister. I know she can despise Celestia, most likely due to the adoration the Sun can get. Though, it isn’t really a surprise, seeing as that celestial object is quite essential to our-“ He stopped mid-sentence. “I am going off on a tangent. Anyhow, if she tried to usurp the throne, she will be taught a lesson. Not by us, not by Celestia even. But by… No. That thought is irrelevant. Continue, Arcane Scroll.”

Denial, Revenant? Clever, but worthless in the end.

“Uh… Oh-er. As you wish, your emin- Chaos.” Arcane stumbled over his words, processing the information he was just granted.

“He’s not wrong,” Chrysalis quickly added. “Luna can be an annoyance, though she is quite busy organising her nocturnal subjects and stars to interact with me. Celestia is too busy all of the time for even a simple conversation. The two can become quite the rivals at times, though as you said, Moon and Star. In fact, she has seemed a little bitter. Not any help to the poor Bat ponies even from Celestia.”

“Irrelevant. So, Arcane. You want to grant Equestria a new ruler. The logistics of that could cave my skull. Have you considered being an accountant?” The King of Shades sarcastically added.

“N-no… What… I don’t… Whaa…?”

“Ignore that. Besides, dethroning the Celestial Princess, wouldn’t that mean nobody is there to raise the precious sun?” Chaos queried, Arcane was still in a bewildered state. “Oh, you want me to raise the sun? Do you even understand how consuming that process would be? Foolish and adorable little Pony.”

“No, of course not.” Arcane firmly stated, getting back onto track. “Dethroning Celestia was Eidolon’s idea, the fool. I merely desired a benevolent ruler that cared for their people. You,” He narrowed his eye on the King of Shades. “you don’t deserve to rule, but Chrysalis, she had poured her heart and soul into that role.”

Chrysalis smiled at the compliment, for that fact was true. She had poured everything into helping all. A great Samaritan. “Thank you.” She tilted her head forward and responded.

“Now, i too have questions, if you do not mind.” He informed, a nod as his answer. “Chaos, your people, have you seen their condition? Dark magic seep from their flesh and pelt, constantly attempting to escape. Do you know why we wear cloaks? Why you have seldom seen our pelt? We are weak. A weak people with a weak spirit. Do you… Do you feel any pity for them? Answer me in honest. Do you feel empathy?”

A smirk appeared on Chaos, “You know the answer to that question.” He coldly stated, standing back up and preparing to leave the room, leaving even the pianist in shock as she continued to tap at the keyboard.

“But…”

“No.” A simple word, yet it conveyed so much. “I may care so little about these mock-shades. But I am bothered about the Crusader’s mere existence. A threat so miniscule I shouldn’t even bother, but if my allies, are threatened, then they shall know no mercy.” He chuckled, and the others could tell, an idea had popped up. “Instead, let the Crusaders have a taste of irony. Burn their encampments. Burn the villages, bring the strongest ponies here. Then, my creations can rise anew. If they desire to harm my people, then they shall be granted the same mercy they show us.” Chaos commanded, his tone becoming colder with each word uttered.

“Where is your heart, Chaos? Why so callous, why so cruel?”

“I haven’t had a heart since it was ripped from my flesh and destroyed before my eye.” The Dark Unicorn hissed and patted his peytral. “Tis’ magic that feeds my flesh, and fear is its source. I am going poaching… Hm, hunting. Now where is the sheep~…” He licked his fangs.

“Chaos…”

Dark magic billowed from the Dark Unicorn’s horn, turning into mist and shrouding his hooves. Then, it turned into tendrils of magic and lunged at Arcane, allowing the Unicorn little to no reaction time. It pressed into his skull. The Princess and pianist looked in shock. Chaos still had his back towards the others, still calmly strutting towards the doorway.

As the magic continued to seep and the King of Shades headed towards the door, Arcane’s vision became clouded. Darkness consumed and impaired it, he tried to resist, yet his body refused to obey. To everybody else, his expression was one of bewilderment. To him, visions and pictures flashed in his mind. Those of Castle Everfree burning, of armoured hooves beating against the forest floor, of siege engines unleashing flame upon a castle, of cloaked figures donning circlets marching through a crimson sea towards the same castle, of droplets cascading onto the bloodied floor, contacting their cloaks of ashen grey and stygian black. Tens of thousands screamed within his mind, the clashing of armour plate and in-equine howling reverberated.

Chrysalis sprang to her hooves, dashing over to the petrified Arcane. She glared at the heartless (quite literally) King of Shades, whose shade-tendrils receded and dissipated into the aether. “What have you done?!” She cried.

“I have shown him my plan. Such intrigue in these times, I think I truly enjoy life. Now, bother me not, we shall spar later, Arcane and I.” The King of Shades answered, “Au revoir mon ami.” and with those parting words he turned to mist. Returning to his favoured sport from three centuries ago.

Arcane Scroll groaned in pain; his vision no longer impaired by darkness. “By the Goddesses, what is he thinking?” He shook his head and Chrysalis merely shrugged.


Time Skip


The Dark Unicorn had lied. He was having another episode. Those visions again, Harmony too. He had found control. Harmony’s wrath was insubstantial now. He explored the halls of his fortress, much of it unkempt and collapsed. Halls once lined with artefacts collected and created throughout an entire century now laid still.

He could still hear the torrent beyond the walls, it still soothed him as despite the centuries he had spent without it. Peace. To him, rain was a connotation of peace.

Here, he found his peace once more. Though, not for long. Another streak of pain rippled through his scalp. Possibly another memory, possibly another vision. He didn’t care. Couldn’t. Wouldn’t. Lying down on the wall, he breathed out a sigh. Once more, he isolated somebody who could’ve been close to him. Once more, he followed his personal doctrine blindly. Damn you, Harmony.

“By Celestia’s titanic flaming rump you are annoying.” He muttered to no one in particular. I hope nobody heard that. His thoughts drifted to that of the Shades once more. Soon, they would become obsolete. Perhaps Eidolon could be put to good use? Yes, that sounds adequate. An enhanced Shade, one with the capability to independently make decisions. Yes. Field Commanders. Yes. Yes. Then, he decided to rest. Finding a comfortable position on the cold tiled floor, he closed his eyes, once more the darkness impaired his vision.


Time Skip


Seasonal Wind felt the cool breeze and rainwater brush against his flared wings as he drifted in the gaze of the moon. His soldiers lost contact with the main group of Crusaders. Not a word came from his associate, Platinum Star, not a single one of his soldiers were sighted. Something was wrong. The forest felt empty with spectral life, constantly watching his soldiers of steel and flesh. On another occasion, he would’ve brushed it off as paranoia. But, today was different, this week was different. The King of Shades had returned, of course it was different. So much happened in the mere span of one month.

Reports from the Crystal Empire had said that Princess Amore was deceased, and a new mad Unicorn King had taken control. Of it and its surroundings. Discord was banished from Equestria, yet the damage had already been done. Communities isolated permanently, once more a division between Unicorn, Pegasus, Earth pony, Bat ponies, even those whom followed Dark magic.

“These are troubled times, sir.” One of his bodyguards spoke as they flew above the Everfree. His comrades nodded, even Seasonal himself concurred.

Not a minute later did the Crusader witness a clearing within the forest, dotted with objects. He flew down with his Pegasi, suspicion filling the mind of their group. As they drew closer, armour could be seen. Crusader armour. Crusader weaponry. Insignia on amulets, shields. Strings of hair on the muddy floor. Corpses littered the field. Followers of Dark magic and Crusaders of the Sun. Seasonal felt anger build up within him.

“Search for Lieutenant Platinum Star! Any evidence, any trace!” He ordered, frantically searching the field for any trace of survivors. He heard nothing of Platinum Star, only irrelevant lower-ranking soldiers of the Order. No corpse of the Lieutenant. “Where is he?!” Seasonal roared.

“No sign of him here sir.”

“Not here either, sir.”

“This is a lot less than Lieutenant Star’s retinue, sir.”

No… already? Damn it… Damn it… “Damn it all!” Wind bellowed, much to the surprise of his soldiers. His outburst forced them turned to him. “Everfree hasn’t been inhabited by beasts for centuries… The King of Shades’ return must mean… Shades… Secure the perimeter, immediately!” He cried out once more.

It was already too late. Mist came first, rolling into the clearing. The dragging of steel against wood came next and told him and his retinue, they were in trouble. The clashing of armour plates was heard almost immediately. White eyes spotted in the forest. One Shade came out, followed by many more. All donning plate armours. The first, still wearing his Solar pendant. They collectively hissed.

Seasonal Wind could vaguely recognise the leading Shade. That thing. That was Platinum Star. Was. Platinum Star.

Author's Note:

Summary - First Time Skip - Flashback containing the 'Death' of Chaos.
Second - Gallery in chains and the revelation.
Third - Gallery being interrogated.
Fourth - Chaos plays the piano and has 'a very simple conversation'
Fifth - Musing
Sixth - What Seasonal Wind doing whilst his fellow Officer was being slaughtered.

Enjoy yet another chapter of the story that requires some major rewriting for the first three chapters. Possibly first four.

Am i trying too hard with describing a landscape and surrounding?

I plan to include two bonus chapters, one about Daybreaker, the other about the Nightmare, but that's for later.

God i never thought this chapter would be completed.

Comments ( 5 )

Interesting chapter, I feel that there is a more clearer goals at what the different factions that sound more then just immediate survival or nebulous as they were before. I still have trouble understanding everything going at least remembering what happened in the last chapter but it was enjoyable none the less. the new characters seems interesting for the most part and I do like that the siblings are still pawns of this great came that also seem to be leading to Luna and Celestia going to the tree of Harmony, I wonder if that other spirit that is controlling them is somehow related to Starswirl in some way, maybe it want the alicorn sisters to be purified for them as part of other plans in store for them. I wonder how the the shadow ponies will survive through this crusade of sorts, and what else had append to them sense their corruption from generation ago?

10086698
Funny that you mentioned Starswirl and the Other Spirit. Next week won't have a new chapter, but rather a rewrite of the first chapter, that is just to explore the Host and his relationship with early Equestria. Old Starswirl will be getting a bigger role too, his pupil aswell. And the political intrigue is most likely going to dive deeper.

10086714
Neat will be looking forward to it.

I found this and finally thought I found a good read but the A/N in the beginning hit me. Guess I'll wait until they do become relevant.

10111870
Unfortunately, my earlier chapters were more or less complete disasters and they need some extreme rewiring.

Login or register to comment