• Published 8th Dec 2019
  • 1,529 Views, 17 Comments

To Be Malevolent - The Bannerlord



Where an inexplicable displacement creates a malevolent being bent on torturing the world to sate his phantom pain. Elsewhere, another manipulates from the shadows.

  • ...
3
 17
 1,529

9 - Confrontation

It was beyond disastrous. Everything fell apart, all intricacies, all surprises. The roars and howls of thousands echoed throughout the battlefield. It was beyond chaotic. It wasn’t a battle, rather a brawl. A crowded mess, filled to the brim with heavy armour-clad warriors wielding and levitating great weapons. Strategy was long forgotten when it all devolved into such pandemonium. Daybreaker, could not believe her eyes. Despite her presence on the battlefield, her armies were being slaughtered. One moment, she notices the left flank being broken. The next, the right flank. This was unaccounted for, neither was the strength of the Lunar legions. Daybreaker herself was a menace, butchering entire platoons with ease.

She had made a fatal error, but she could not decipher it and find its root. She was busy, so were her officers. Flame was ever-present. Ash littered the grounds. Steel tasted hide and flesh. Corpses were unceremoniously thrown into the battlegrounds. Directly above, the Solar-Lunar Eclipse hung, glaring down at the combatants with malice. Its mere presence was scorching, yet it was bitter. Day and Night clashed. The bitter steel cares not for allegiance, not for status, not for destiny, it only slays.

Calm before the storm. The calm was long gone, but where was the storm? It gathered high above the battlefield near Canterville. A great vortex of magic. It spun, unleashing bursts of dark magic. Great shockwaves flattened large portions of the Everfree. It shook the foundations of archaic structures, ghostly howls emanated from it. This, this was truly the twilight of the gods. The skies were darkening, the fields burned. Thunder roared; lightning struck. Then, silence. It halted. Not another burst of magic, not another howl or roar. Soldiers from both sides looked in awe, turning to horror. It was mist. It was them.

The hissing began. The armour plates reverberating, the steel screeching along the Everfree woods. Those white eyes in the dark. The Equestrian armies realised their greatest mistake. They were now completely encircled. Pegasi refused to fly due to the storm. Unicorn magic was nullified by the storm. Earth ponies were now drenched in mud. It was Equestrian Passchendaele.

Daybreaker hissed, shifting her attention to the army, a growl escaping afterwards. “It is easy to forget who orchestrated thine defeat in the first place, Empress Daybreaker of Equestria. Though, we forgive thee for such a trivial mistake.” Chaos mockingly bellowed as he materialised from mist, his soldiers wasting no time unleashing Tartarus upon her and Luna’s soldiers. A battle between former brothers and sisters. She quickly assessed the situation, frantically reorganising her soldiers to face the new threat. Out of all places, not here! She panicked.

Victory, it was certain mere moments after the beginning of the battle. But alas, it was not to be, Chaos had not even needed to predict this mass movement of Solar soldiers. Castle Everfree is under complete subjugation, its surrounding towns patrolled by shades. In truth, Equestria was already lost. Daybreaker, and by extension her sister merely delayed the inevitable. Perhaps in another world, one where Chaos had not spoken with his counterpart, Equestria would merely be his plaything. This, this isn’t that world. His plan, however flawed it may have been, still would result in achieving a greater, better world. He wasn’t toying with them today. No, his mindset was far from that. This battlefield was to correct prior mistakes. One more act of malice towards the combatants of Equestria.

The Solar Legion had suffered unprecedented number of casualties. Despite their superior numbers, heavier armour, greater number of supplies and more well-experienced soldiers, they were being slaughtered en-masse. Luna had been especially careful with her planning, sending scouts and even the populace to monitor Daybreaker’s armies. Once word had gotten out, she prepared her armies and snuck them into the dense forest, waiting for the precise moment her sister arrived at the perfect location. This field, she had been informed by multiple of her scouts was particularly difficult to cross, though it was the closest route directly to Canterville. No doubt Daybreaker would’ve wanted to sneak her armies through despite their large numbers. She had lured the Solar Alicorn with a faux-army, beginning the ambush on the slow and drenched heavy-infantry. It was perfect, as the storm rolled in along with the increasingly torrential weather.

Luna had not expected the shades to attack so soon. They merely observed previously, and their armies were comparatively tiny to both her and her sister’s. However, they were still a significant threat. Luna had watched the tower being set ablaze by dark magic. She had saw a great duel, everypony did. It was a significant setback, was it not? The Lunar Queen was severely mistaken. She had, once again overlooked a crucial detail; the very mist that surrounded the spire was the army. A legion which could not be seen. A legion which surpassed the peak of any regular Pony army. A legion renewed in arcane might.

Here she stood, monitoring the field of battle. Was this what she had hoped for? It was a slaughter, thousands of Ponies, brothers and sisters cut each other down, whilst their true foe scythed them as Earth ponies in fields of wheat. Was this truly the victory she had desired; the defeat she foresaw? She felt cowardly. A craven merely observing, instead of rescuing her corrupted sister and facing the true threat. Where was Amore? Where was the Crystal Empire? Where were the Royal Guards of the Crystal Princess? She was growing impatient.

Their armies were completely surrounded, retreat was not an option. Risk without reward, thousands would perish… She could not bear watching them fall. Not only was she not personally participating in the battlefield, potential honour and glory lost, but her ponies desperately needed inspiration. Those shades were not slowing down. She had to face Chaos and his familiars. Wings flared, blade readied, magic flowed through her horn. Donning heavy armour, plate, mail and gambeson. Daybreaker would have to wait.

The blue lightning whirled through the air, piercing straight through multiple Solar Pegasi. Her target was sighted, his shroud already billowed. Daybreaker was surrounded, dozens of shades snarled at her; polearms raised, ranging from the trustworthy spear to the multi-purpose halberd. She was defiant, steadfast to the bitter end. In a way, Luna admired her corrupted sister; not backing down from a fight she is destined to lose.

The Empress of the Sun failed to falter in her time of need. To escape when she had her window of opportunity. Stubbornly, despite being outnumbered completely, she stood her ground. Blade held by magic, flame casted by mane and horn. Gritting her teeth, she saw the cobalt Alicorn speeding through the skies. Her sister dared to face her and the legion of shades? That was trivial, for now she had an important task at hoof. Slamming her hoof into the cold muddy floor, the shades surrounding her burst into flames. Screeching as they perished before their destroyer.

Merely a moment later, more had returned to avenge their fallen. No, not avenge, they had no concept of vengeance. They were Chaos’ machinations. Imperfections, unrefined. Weakness lingered from their very core. Their puppeteers were miserable thoughts and emotions.

Daybreaker decimated her foes, scything down each and every shade. Her blade tasted mist and flesh. Blood boiled, flame pierced through hide. The taste of iron, the aroma of steel. Dancing in combat, a ballet of blood. Her soldiers, aspired by her actions had persevered despite the perpetual onslaught of shades.

Luna could watch no longer. Diving down with the speed and ferocity of a meteorite, impacting the ground at maximum velocity. Daybreaker found a crater beside her, corpses and ash decorated the ground. The Martial Queen escaped the newly created hole in the earth, eyes staring directly at her sister. They stared at each other, circling around the crater.

Chaos’ familiars encircled them once more. Not a second was wasted by them. Luna and Daybreaker fought like hounds, perseverance was their only thought. Every casualty was replenished. The hissing only grew louder. The storm brewed once more.

Despite their numerical superiority, the shades were unable to overwhelm the two Alicorns; they were unyielding, defiant to the last. Then, all familiars switched their attention to the Solar and Lunar Legions, flooding past the armies’ respective leaders.

Luna panted, knees in contact with the floor. She noticed the Sun Alicorn’s approach to her side. Instead of striking her down, Daybreaker merely gave a smirk. She was chuckling, not a mad cackle such as before, but a harmless chuckle. She extended her hoof to the Moon Alicorn, helping her back on her hooves.

“Let us not falter, sister.” She spoke, voice unlike the bellowing from before. “For now, we shalt hath respite.” Vaguely, the soft voice of Celestia broke through, before the Alicorn snapped her attention in front of both of them. Chaos…” She hissed; weapon firmly wrapped in Solar magic.

He made no effort to monologue. Not a speech, not a single word. Only an infuriating sneer. “Hmph.” The Unicorn summoned his weapon of choice. He chuckled, quite full of himself this fateful day. Not another sound later did he gallop forth, mist rolling and encasing all three combatants.

The Breaker of Dawn gathered herself, one hoof placed on the Lunar Queen. Her weapon was ripped away into the abyss, never to be seen by her eyes. Flaring her wings, she fluttered the great white feathered appendage and dispersed the sickly miasma immediately. No sign of the apparition, no sign of her sister. She hadn’t been in contact with the cobalt Alicorn, no, she was in contact with a piece of Solar armour.

The Bringer of Night scanned around herself, horn illuminating a darkened mist. Daybreaker… No, Celestia was nowhere to be seen, not a signature. Slamming her left hoof, the mist recoiled and revealed the Dark Unicorn standing before her. Her blade immediately made contact with the halberd. “Thou hath yet to tap into thine magic… Thy true magic.” He sounded rather surprised and disappointed.

“We shalt never give in! Never again!” She cried valiantly. With that, she galloped forth, throwing an armoured hoof at the Unicorn. Of course, he effortlessly deflected the flimsy attack, retaliating with a hoof of his own. Unarmed combat commenced. Luna threw a flurry of punches at Chaos, either colliding with his armour or contacting with his hoof. Their blades screeched as both attempted to make contact with their opponent.

“Don’t worry, once we are finished. Thou wilt- nay. Shalt be grateful.” With his reassuring words concluded, Luna felt a great shockwave push against her. Her metal shoes slid across the stone floor; sword planted directly through creating a crack. The mist rose and lurched towards her, hissing as it struck her armour.

“Unfortunately, our confrontation hath not escalated to mine desired point. Thou require a dose of pain.” He spoke, malice creeping onto his grin. Luna thrashed in place; her eyes darted in all directions. Panic overtook her mind; fear creeped into her. Needles- No, blades pierced into her flesh. Faux-blades. They never pierced her pelt. She let out a blood-curdling shriek, eyes flaring wide in agony. She felt the flooding of adrenaline, the flowing of magic, the incursion of dark magic. Her own dark magic. She cried and begged for respite. No response came from her tormenter. Instead, incoherent mumbling. Through her pain, she had recognised a series of Where are you? Come out. As he merely observed. He was growing impatient.

Luna had no idea what the cruel stallion had in mind; she didn’t care. The pain brought her rage, fury. Anger beyond what she had ever felt before. She chuckled. She chuckled before the dark Unicorn, catching him completely off-guard. He rose an eyebrow, intrigued at the cobalt Alicorn’s gesture. Then, a grin. Both Unicorn and Alicorn grinned. Luna felt the pain immediately cease. She had already accepted the influence and indoctrination of the malevolent magic now. Anything for Equestria, anything for her sister.

The Lunar Alicorn was released from her binds. She stretched her body, clicking her bones. Levitating her blade from the ground, she switched into a combat-ready stance. Her opponent was rather amused by the display, clapping his hooves once she finished. Rolling her eyes, she dashed forth, sword shooting forth and narrowly grazing the stallion’s armour.

Luna received a hoof to the face. Furious wouldn’t describe her at this moment. The magically levitated sword chased her assailant, homing onto him as an angry swarm of bees. He merrily dodged and weaved through the danger, this was merely to bide his time.

The Alicorn, tired of her opponent’s game discharged waves of dark magic before him. To her frustration, and her adversary’s amusement, he deflected bolt after bolt. “Fight back, damn thee! Art thou a coward? High and mighty diving so low, Chaos?” She spoke with a particular poison in her voice. Seductive in nature, though it was filled with anger, with unrelenting fury.

Finally, Chaos stood still, infuriating smirk still dominating his expression. Luna’s sword was forced into the ground, shattering to millions of shards from the sheer force. At last, a great beam of magic howled, piercing towards the Unicorn. “Hah! You fell for it!” Completely disregarding archaic, the Unicorn teleported directly above his adversary, unleashing a great beam of magic onto her. What followed was a cry of surprise, of fear. The Cobalt Alicorn felt her body being thrown through the air, she cried out in pain and terror. Her horn lit, attempting to connect to the dark magic. Only little traces of it was found. It had been ripped from her system.

“CHAAAAAOSSSS!!” Cried the valiant Daybreaker as the lightning bolt flashed across the battlefield.

Only one word was uttered by the dark Unicorn. It was barely heard. “Wha-?”

A fiery meteorite soared directly into him, smashing his rib cage and instantly destroying all of his bones in a blood mess. His cry of pain was barely distinguishable as his body sped through the air. Blood gushed and practically exploded out of the stallion as he slid into the ground. Daybreaker had arrived, rushing over to the Lunar Queen. “Luna!” She cried.

Despite being flailed into the floor, Chaos stayed fully conscious. He howled in inconceivable agony, thrashing his broken body around. He would’ve muttered Impossible and or Improbable, if his vocal cords hadn’t been annihilated upon impact. No! Father! Speak to me! His thoughts reached out to his creator. No response was given, but he could tell he was still alive. He would’ve breathed a sigh of relief, if he wasn’t in agonizing pain. His internal structure desperately repaired itself, despite the severe damage to a majority of internal organs due to the skeleton and impact. He felt a looming sense of dread, they were about to approach him.

Not a limb was able to move. Not an appendage was available. Nothing… No… No… He let out a rasp, followed by a cough. Move… Move! They weren’t working. A familiar darkness creeped into his vision. His thoughts scrambled. His hearing was impaired. Damn it all! Move! It was as if a massive weight was placed onto him. Not… Not this again… No… “N-no…”. Before another word could be spoken, he slipped into the veil of unconsciousness. Once more in the mindscape.

Luna too was in a critical state. Her entire body had been scorched by the point-blank wave of magic. She was panting heavily, intaking huge gulps of air. The warm and comforting wing of her sister was shielding her, despite the fiery properties of Daybreaker. Both siblings shared a hug, not a word exchanged. “It hurts…” The Lunar Queen whimpered. “It hurts so much…” She continued; a tear forming in her eye. One hoof moved the great feathered wing out of her vision. She angrily gazed upon the shredded Unicorn, who seemed to be unconscious.

Daybreaker wasted not a second more. Levitating her weapon of choice, she strutted over to her severely battered opponent. Fiery magic seeped from her horn and contacted the blade, igniting it. The Unicorn’s head tilt upwards, eyes meeting hers, brown instead of white. “Know this; we take no pleasure in thine demise.” She sighed, closing her eyes and thrusting the blade into the Unicorn. She heard the blade make contact with steel. Eyes flaring open, she was in disbelief. “Impossible…”

“N-no.” Cough. “N-nothing… Nothing is-“ Cough. “I-impossible…” The Unicorn rasped, pushing aside the fiery blade of Daybreaker with his halberd, watching as she recoiled. “Surprised? Y-you… Ugh… You shouldn’t be.” He continued, getting back to his hooves with difficulty. His left hoof gave away, collapsing the armoured living-corpse. “I am very hard to kill…” His head lifted, a smile in place of the prior smirk.

Neither combatant made an attempt to dash, eyes fixated on each other, examining every movement. They slowly began circling, weapons dragging along the floor. All three armies of shades, Lunar and Solar Legion had halted their fighting and encircled their respective leaders. The luminescent glow of the shades, the fiery mark of the solar soldiers and the iridescent reflections of the lunar armour shone onto the two leaders. Luna had been carried away from the field of battle to recover.

The Unicorn was running on life support, everything keeping him together was magic, it was exhausting. He felt numb, the magic he utilised was fending off the immense pain. His instincts told him to flee, to escape back to the spire. His body was too weak. His body. Not the apparition. For once, combat. He had never participated in a confrontation, only a mere bystander. He may have been a century old, but he felt like a child. In this moment, he was terrified. But he battled on his fears. Purging them merely made them stronger. He wanted, needed to conquer them. His companion, the parasite of his mind, reckless as he may be, he felt obligated to protect. It was duty like none other.

Daybreaker was losing grip of the body, losing control of Celestia. Both acknowledged their tasks; both were prepared for the final confrontation. They assessed the situation of their adversary. Battered, bones protruding out of his pelt and armour, slowly being repaired. He was exhausted too, having suffered enough damage to render most Unicorns deceased. The fact he still stands meant he still had some fighting spirit. The potential of a Unicorn who can control Alicorn magic was devastating, even if he was in a weakened state.

Cautiously, the pair continued to circle. Then, the Unicorn once more collapsed, letting out a groan afterwards. Daybreaker took this opportunity to shower her opponent in flame, unleashing an unrelenting hail of fire. Soldiers from the Lunar and Solar sides looked in shock as their former princess seemingly erased the stallion from existence. Eventually, the onslaught halted, leaving behind a wall of flame.

Daybreaker cautiously trotted forth, examining her work. There was nothing beyond the fire. Lifting her head, her soldiers were staring with their mouth agape and eyes wide. She felt a shiver down her spine. Turning around, she saw the half-corpse standing, wide grin on him. She wasn’t given a chance to react afterwards, a flurry of attacks from the halberd ensured that. The Alicorn retreated and caught her breath. Her opponent was inspecting his weapon, licking his lips as well! The nerve…

“To be honest with you, I have never fought another creature with magic.” He chuckled; eyes now directed to the Alicorn. “Being acquainted with this was rather… Exciting. I can see why Chaos enjoyed the thrill of combat so much now.” As he spoke the name, his left eye turned to a white. The white of the apparition. “You should feel honoured, Empress of the Day.” No longer was there a vile rasping sound, but rather regular speech. “Repairing my body requires a rather large sum of magic. Replacing that is costly, it takes time and effort.” He slowly approached the pearl Alicorn. “Or, alternatively, I could follow the stratagem of my darker counterpart, and you can return it to me.” He pointed the halberd towards her.

Daybreaker rose her blade and heard the fluttering of wings. Eyes shifting to the skies, she saw Luna looming overhead. The Lunar Queen was donning heavier armour than before, pelt as black as midnight. She landed beside her sister, determination in her eyes. Both Alicorns turned back to the Unicorn, who hadn’t moved an inch.

“Sometimes, I feel like the single most idiotic Unicorn in all of Equestria.” He uttered; a few snickers came from the encirclement. Taking a defensive stance, or at least as close as he could replicate, the Unicorn inhaled and exhaled. This is for you. He galloped forth; sending the halberd to crash down onto the two Alicorns.

His way of fighting differed from Chaos, Daybreaker and Luna could both tell. His movements were less methodical, more predictable. He was inexperienced after all. But there was mimicry, along with that, improvisation. He made sure to utilise his horn more often, despite that, still valuing chivalry. He couldn’t pass for a Knight, no, but an aspirant. There was a sense of desperation within his style, less of a prolonged battle and more shortened duel.

The Royal Sisters were slightly overwhelmed by the onslaught of the Unicorn. However, eventually he retreated, taking a more defensive stance. By then, he had already exhausted a huge reserve of magic by repairing himself, keeping his battered body together and numbing the pain. Once more, he collapsed, writhing on the floor. The crowd was cheering wildly, celebrating the conclusion of a century-due duel. The Shades were silent, they all expressed shock, replaced by frown.

“We’re not done yet…” The Unicorn rasped, getting back onto his hooves. “No, this duel is far from its conclusion.” He continued, licking his lips. “I shall have my desired victory; my stratagem shall succeed.” The King of Shades rose his halberd once more. “And then, we shall have PEACE! Peace in our time.” He concluded his triumphant short speech by summoning the storm once more. The shades commenced their surprise attack onto the shocked soldiers of Daybreaker and Luna.

No longer was he expending magic to numb, or to hold his now repaired parts together. A great shockwave was sent forth, flattening much of the encircling trees of the Everfree and knocking down many Solar and Lunar legionaries. Daybreaker and Luna themselves were once more swarmed by the shrouded onslaught of shades.

Chaos observed the battlefield, leaving his shades to complete the task. Daybreaker had ruined much with that single manoeuvre. He felt his magic waning by the second, body still repairing. Luna had already been taken care of, mostly at least. Daybreaker would be the next target, the more annoying and powerful older sister. Even with the crown containing both Alicorns’ magic, it wasn’t enough to shield him from an impact at such high speeds. He felt physically weak, weaker than any other point in his existence.

“Lament.” He reminded himself, turning his head towards the Everfree. “I do wonder where you are.” He stated, curiosity piqued. “Your existence is a fault, an error, an imperfection. Merely to annoy me. But I could say that about myself for our poor creator.” He continued, noticing an odd shape emerging from the Everfree… No… Ponies. “Perhaps, you were right here watching…” He focused onto the shadowy group. Beyond the sound of battle was marching. The clashing of armour plates, the reverberating battle-cries.

He couldn’t have built an army this quickly… An expression of concern marked his visage. Then, a warhorn was blown. It howled and signalled for a charge. A charge of crystalline armoured Ponies crashed into the shade armies. Oh… Them. He face-hoofed and snickered. Princess Amore had arrived, later than scheduled.

“My, my. Aren’t you just the peak of comedy?” He continued observation, redirecting his forces. This was going to be a long battle.


Time Skip – Elsewhere


Lament felt rather… Rather painful, that was not an experience he’d like to relive. Amore’s Crystal army was extraordinary. Despite being composed of mainly Crystal Earth Ponies, they still had a great arsenal of magical weaponry. Instead of gaining soldiers, he had lost a large portion of his retinue. It was a decisive defeat, he barely managed to escape. Princess Amore herself was an extremely powerful sorceress, scything through congregations of his converted-shades.

He wasn’t ready to face Chaos, if he couldn’t halt the Crystal army, then he’d have no chance in the biggest battle in Equestrian history. His task would have to wait. What was it his father had said to Chaos? You are not merely a tainted version of my image; you are your own person… He contemplated these words as he regathered the still functioning shades.

Ascension would have to be delayed, perhaps never achieved. In fact, he didn’t even know how one could possibly ascend. Lament couldn’t find a solution to this issue, perhaps it could be achieved artificially. Perhaps he didn’t have to become a proper Alicorn, but rather a demi-Alicorn. Yes, that sounds achievable.

Circling the perimeter of the brief skirmishing field, Lament studied the Crystal soldiers, what they had done, how they had defeated his forces. They had numerical superiority, their equipment was of higher quality and they were led by a Princess. The ambush… It didn’t go as planned, not at all. They bulldozed through the dark magically enhanced shades with ease.

“Perhaps, we need not to wander. Perhaps we can still accomplish our mission. Perhaps Chaos will perish forevermore. No perpetual torment. No eternal sorrow.” He said, sighing. “Perhaps, he has the same ideals as I. Perhaps we share a very similar goal. We see different ways to attain that final victory.” He said, chuckling.

In the distance, the storm brew once more, it was beautiful, it needed not to be radiant, to be glamorous. Its mere presence brought intimidation, but a violent calm too. He trotted towards it, waving his hoof, the lamenting shades followed.

“My name does not command respect, does not invoke terror, it was hastily thought up. Hmm… Perhaps, if I am to rule this world, to become this world’s sovereign… Yes… Yes… Sovereign.” The third personality smirked. Sovereign, supreme ruler of Equestria. Those were thoughts for another time, perhaps after Chaos’ demise.


Time Skip – Battlefield


“What?! Impossible!” The King of Shades cried in surprise. His soldiers were being slaughtered. Princess Amore’s Crystal guards were efficient at dispatching his shades, so efficient in fact, the numerical superiority from before mattered little. Chaos was desperately reorganising his familiars, mouth agape as they were practically executed by the Crystal magic of their adversaries. These, these were tell-tale signs that his shades required improvement, that they were yet to become the ultimate combatant.

Reserve infantry, reinforce the- Never-mind, just fight back against the Crystal guards. His orders flew left right and centre. At this point, his orders became more-or-less frantic shouting. He wanted to slap himself, for being so careless upon their approach. At least, the two Alicorns were still kept busy with the majority of his forces. He still wasn’t fully prepared for another confrontation, but soon, very soon, this will end. Or at least that’s what he hoped for.

“Shades, on me!” He called out to his nearby guards, though it wasn’t necessary. They all ignited their horns at once, their target being the Crystal ponies. Then, they all discharged at once. A hail of dark magic struck Amore’s troops, disintegrating a huge amount of her ponies. It was a gruesome sight, comparable to the first mass-organised dark magic barrage a century before.

“Second row, charge lightning bolts, pick thy targets.” He repeated the exact words spoken before. “On my mark, disintegrate them.” The King of Shades himself had amplified the magic of his personal guards.

Raising his hoof, a smirk appeared on him. “Eviscerate them.”

Then, a great cry of terror came from the battlefield, a howling wave of lightning erased hundreds of Crystal ponies. Their history, their lives, their memories, deleted. They were all gone, only the armour remained. Their moral had crumbled into dust, much like their fallen comrades. Princess Amore had been in the midst of fighting, and had managed to protect her and her closest soldiers from the ensuing electric blanket.

The Crystal Princess was horrified, hundreds of loyal followers, those whose ancestors she had saved from the bitter environment of the frozen north. Now, they were gone, reduced to dust, their legacy in tatters. Those who have fallen shall not go unavenged. Amore prepared a shield against the dark Unicorn’s next barrage, and the one after whilst sending her forces forth to do battle.

The Solar Legion was practically decimated, Daybreaker was all that stood against the hordes along with her sister. Eyes now locked onto the mist surrounding the centre of the shade army. Chaos, it must’ve been him. No more stalling, it was time to fight. It was time for him to perish. Perish forevermore. She had been mocked by the stallion; her soldiers had been slaughtered in the masses. She could not feel remorse for the masses anymore, this battlefield was about to become desolate. With that, Daybreaker unleashed great torrents of flame, whirlwinds of blaze, a hellish inferno which consumed all within its path. The shrieks of a thousand enthralled Unicorns filled the skies.

Luna followed her sister’s example, unleashing a combination of black and lunar magic down onto her adversaries. Collateral damage was almost completely ignored, the sisters merely scythed through the army. The Lunar Legion watched in awe, encouraged by their commander. They follow her example, fighting with ferocity and renewed tenacity. Adrenaline pumped in every single creature, the thrill and terror of battle consumed their minds. Magic discharged in all directions, weaponry of all types clashed and reverberated. Armour collapsed onto the grounds of the Everfree, bodies writhed in pain.

Chaos felt as if he had abandoned his morals once more. This battle, it was to be fleeting. Yet, it had lengthened, to the point where the Crystal Empire had to be involved. He had to resort to his most brutal tactics, despite how costly it may have been. He watched the two Alicorns and empowered Unicorn decimate some of the former denizens of Equestria, and he felt terrible at heart. He could feel the thoughts reverberating in his very own familiars, having to scythe down their former comrades, their compatriots. This, this was the creature he had devolved into. But another part of him loved it, a sensation beyond satisfactory. To cause torment, to cause pain, to spread fear. This was him, his grandest display, his finest architecture, his masterwork painting. He could laugh at this- No, he couldn't. One still stood in the way, the one who always reeled him from the abyss. Companion, associate, comrade. Father..

Not a single combatant could feel regret or remorse. They only fought. Their minds demanded this conflict to conclude, but they continue to slay each foe without relent. It was a bloody ballet, an orchestra of flame, an ensemble of pain. Lament-Or rather the self-proclaimed Sovereign witnessed it all from a distance. It was… It was uneasy feeling; he had found the beauty of this battle beyond its horror. Brush in hoof, landscape before him. He was documenting the battle with art. The art of conflict, of bloodshed. The world, oh how it had devolved into such a catastrophe.

Author's Note:

I do hope you- and by extension everybody else who has read this enjoyed this chapter. Though, i do believe that it is weaker in vocabulary.

Chapter Eight, the chapter where Chaos gets annihilated. Think of Daybreaker's impact as a car crash, but faster, and on fire.