• Published 10th Aug 2020
  • 592 Views, 42 Comments

Shadows of Eden - RoccoRoccs



A mare enters a clinical trial for an experimental spell only to find herself on an adventure in the future of a post apocalyptic paradise. Faced with loneliness and danger, she fights to find her way back home.

  • ...
2
 42
 592

Chapter 10: We Begin Where We End

Cricket chirps filled the brisk night air atop the cliffside overlooking a once again overgrown Ponyville. Our little spot on the outskirts of town was the perfect place to spend the night, even if that night was filled with moments of fear, crying and trying to find a place to pee in private. I know that Jet is by all accounts my marefriend, how could she not be given what all we had been through, but peeing in front of her was not exactly something I was ready to establish. In an effort to keep our minds off things we decided to try and figure out exactly when we were. Jet was clever enough to use her admin controls to reconfigure her Cuff's on-board scanner to tell dates and times. It was a boring distraction, but a distraction nonetheless.

With moments of regress over the loss of her mother, the betrayal of her company and the fact that we were indeed in the year 6303 once again, the night was not completely wasted on worry. We had gotten a chance to get to know one another a little better. Through careful prying I found that I was possibly the only pony she had ever kissed and apart from the odd date here and there, the only pony she had called closer than a work mate. She was cold, analytical and by the book, but she had a softer side, one I had come to see and know pretty well.

This was completely the opposite of me who enjoyed such games as 'sniff test' for my clothing and 'is this still eatable?'. what was it that she saw in me that made her say 'yeah, her! The brown one with all the personality defects! Sign me the heck up.' Morals aside, she had the world ahead of her. Great paying job, relatively easy life, a mother. I had none of those things and here I was dragging her into the future that I wasn't even sure was safe or not. It was a heavy weight to carry, but every time I looked at her I couldn't help but think that things would just work out, I just had to try hard enough.

"Jet? Why me?" I asked as I took a seat behind her. I put my hooves around her neck and let her fall back into me, hoping for an honest answer.

"Is this really what you want to talk about? Here, now? Shouldn't we be coming up with a plan?" She replied, matching my move with her own nuzzle to my chest. She was taking full advantage of having me as a pillow and still being tight lipped.

"We have time. I just feel like... I need to know. Nopony has ever actually wanted to be with me... well besides my friends."

"That's preposterous."

"No, really! I haven't been on a date in years, what makes me so special?" I asked, cutting a serious edge to my tone.

"I don't know, honestly. I see something in you I wish I could have. I feel like I want to spend time with you all the time and to quantify it would be nearly impossible." She said as a matter of fact. "You got a cute butt too." Jet covered her mouth like a foal who had just found their first swear word.

I couldn't hold back the laugh. It was amazing to hear her switch gears like that seeming accidentally.

"What's so funny!?"

"Nothing... just... You just caught me off guard is all. I'm not used to hearing you talk like that, it's nice. I like your butt too." I said, trying my luck by giving her backside a gentle squeeze. Jet jumped from the very touch of my hoof. "Sorry! Did I hurt you!? Jet I'm so sorry!" I said, pulling my hooves free from her and throwing them wide.

"No! No... I- uh... No, it's ok. I wasn't expecting it is all. Dingy, something you need to know about me is that I'm not very skilled at this whole... dating thing. Is it customary to be feeling up your marefriend on the first date?"

The question caught me off guard to the point where I started to feel guilty. Was I pushing things too fast? Was I toying with her just out of natural curiosity? Things in the girls camp back in the rain-forest had always been light hearted and joking in the way we had done things. It was common to get your flank pinched when you weren't paying attention. It was meant as a prank more than anything, to scare you and get a laugh from others. Nothing sexual implied or even alluded to. But Jet was not used to the tomboyish atmosphere I was.

"No..." I said, letting out a sigh. "I don't suppose it is. I guess I'm not too good at all of this either. I'm sorry." I said, hanging my head at the thought of already hitting a social landmine on day one.

"No! I mean, seriously. I'm asking literally, not rhetorically. I'm a scientist, not a prude, Dingy. Besides, I quite liked the feeling. I just wonder if I am to reciprocate or make my own move, so to speak."

Oh now that was just adorable. How could I not love a mare like this? Smart as a whip, child at heart.

"Well, I guess it's whatever your heart feels is right? If I do something and you feel uncomfortable, just tell me, I'll stop and vise versa. Trust me the last thing I want to do is screw up something-"

I was cut short by Jet who had picked that moment to challenge my tongue in a fight to the death. I was shocked and taken completely off guard by the gesture, but also pleasantly surprised that she knew how to kiss properly. Also very confused that she knew how to kiss...

"Whoa!" I said, breaking contact.

"Oh no! I did something wrong, didn't I?" She asked frantically.

"No! You are a really good kisser! I thought you said I was your first..." I asked accusingly.

"Well... when you have nothing better to do in a lab than sit and wait for a reaction to take place... you find ways to occupy your time. In my case I'm ashamed to say that I like to read somewhat cheesy romance novels from the grocery store." She said, tapping her hooves together. "They tend to be... graphic." An awkward silence grew between us. Way to go, Dingy! Way to kill the moment.

"I like one where the buck spent ten years chasing after a mare just to fall in love with his best friend." I blurted out.

"The Wildest Dreams! I have that book on my desk!" Jet shouted in glee, nearly knocking me to the ground. "That's my favorite book! I love the part where he realizes he's in love with her and finally gives in and they kiss! So romantic." She said as she climbed atop me and pressed her nose to mine.

"I like that part too."

Alright, good save! Her lips pressed to mine and we were back in action! No guards to worry about, nopony to disturb us. Just Jet and I on the top of a cliff making out. I was catching a good rhythm right about the time I felt a hoof start to wander over my backside and another resting just below my stomach. Ok... Now I was feeling uncomfortable. I didn't want to push this too far too fast and ruin things. Clicky's words were still fresh in my ears. 'She deserves all the love and protection you can give'. Was this love that we were doing? Or did I need to protect her from herself? Why did this have to be so damn hard! I just want to enjoy some post adrenaline relief!

With my mind balanced on a string, ready to fall to either side of playing it safe or saying to hell with it, a slight move of a hoof further south gave it a shove. I never did have good self control, so why start now? It became apparent that she was in fact inexperienced in that department. Oh com'on, how can you kiss like that and not know how to work the equipment. You have one of these, Jet. Act like you have been there!

"No, no... Like this." I said as my own hoof began exploring.

"Oh... OOOOOH..." She bemoaned. "Oh I can do that..."

That's a girl! Oh yes! That's more like it. The teaching lesson soon eroded into a free for all until the two of us couldn't take it anymore and began grinding into one another. It wasn't long before we found that sweet spot in rhythm with our heart beats and we both found a moment together that nearly sent us rolling off the cliff. We both lay there, our bodies quivering and wracked with sweat and the two of us breathing heavily from the once-in-a-lifetime post adrenaline orgasm.

"That was... Intense." Jet said as she rolled to my side.

"Yeah it was. I wasn't sure I was ready to go that far, but wow..." My head was swimming with emotions. Lust, fear, anxiety... But I still wanted more. It was like a drug, a powerful drug. I had gotten myself off plenty of times, but never like that!

"Give me a moment... I need to catch my breath. But can we do that again?" Jet asked, snuggling up to my side. "You know, for imperial data?" I couldn't tell if she was being coy or serious. But my heart felt like it was about to explode. Not to mention my back was on fire after that little moment. During it was fine, I barely noticed it, but now... Yeah, I was feeling it. But I wasn't entirely useless.

"I might need more than a moment... But I know a few tricks with my mouth if you want to gather some different data." I said, matching her tone playfully.

"Oh! Ok! That sounds fun!" She said, leaning in for a kiss.

"No... Not there..." I said with a sly grin as I shifted down her body and gave her lower belly a little kiss.

"WAIT! There!? With your... With your mouth-" She started, but it was too late. Now this area I knew all too well. "Oh dear Luna!" She said as she rolled to her back and gave in.

Oh jet... It's going to be a long night for you.

oooooooooooooooooooo0000000000oooooooooooooooooooo

The sun broke over a cloudy morning on the cliff side, threatening rain with every chilly gust of wind. If this was anything like the last time I was here then we would need to find cover and fast. Luckily, we were not far from Canterlot Gardens, It was less than an hour's hike from here. If we got a move on we could be there before the rain hit and avoid having to try and start a fire to keep warm.

"Jet... Jet... Wake up. We need to get to cover. I think it's going to rain." Jet just groaned and rolled over, pushing her cold butt into my side. Damn it... I'm not one to turn such a thing down but now was not the time. "Jet, com'on. If this storm is anything like what happened..." A thought hit me. Was I here? Like, was I here with myself in this time too!? Were there two of me on this planet at this moment in time?

"Dingy... It's early. I'm still tired." She said, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "What is it?"

"Jet... This looks like the storm that had me hiding out in the base. If we are caught out in it that could be the death of us." I said, trotting to the cliff side. I looked down and saw the field I had crossed the week before, the golden grasses were waving in the strong gusts of wind.

"I suppose you are right... Although I wouldn't mind the shower... and the chance to brush." She said, trotting to my side and smacking her lips in disgust. "Yuck!"

"Jet... What are the chances that I'm out there... somewhere?"

"I would say pretty good..." Her words trailed off as she pointed to a glowing blue dot far below us heading for a little shack. I squinted my eyes and tried to focus in front of it and... There I was! I blended in perfectly with the tall grasses save for my white clad neck from the suit. It had never occurred to me that had I taken that suit off I would have been perfectly camo'd to my surroundings. "Well, I think that's you anyways. Is that... R-Rocket? Is that its name?"

"It has to be. Look right in front of Rocket. That's me. See my pony tail?" Jet screwed up her face and leaned forward.

"I think so? I'm kind of near-sighted." She said as her hoof gave way and she nearly fell off the cliff. Had I not got a grip on her tail, she would have. "Stands to reason, the spell sent us forwards nearly one day from when you got here originally, that timeline has already happened and is established already. It would be best to not interfere with them." She said as she trotted over to put on her suit.

"Is that really what my mane looks like? I look like a foal!" I said in disdain.

"Dingy... get your butt suited up. You woke me up for a reason, remember?" Oh, that was a new tone. Grumpy Jet.

"Fine... But when we get back I'm cutting my mane." I said in a rebellious tone. I trotted to her side and slipped on my suit.

"Oh? And is that before or after you get your nose pierced and join an indie rock band?" She said as the two of us started up the trail.

"What's wrong with nose rings!? I have one!"

Jet gave me an 'obviously' grin and just fell in behind me as we worked our way towards Canterlot Gardens. The path we were taking was in stark contrast to the one I had taken the first time I came here. It was in fact much shorter, but also much steeper. If my history classes served me well, then this used to be Princess Twilight's personal hiking trail that she had constructed. What was she the princess of? Physical fitness!? Thankfully the trail leveled off before I felt like I was going to just give up and jump to my death. The garden was... still a garden? Be it somewhat overgrown, but it looked to have been managed.

"Ok... Is this a spell or is somepony here?" Jet asked as she ran a hoof over a small patch of flowers. A sharp crack filled the air and Jet recoiled in pain. "OW! Definitely a spell!"

"Well, Princess Twilight did hold the throne until it was absolved. She was good with magic after all." I said as I trotted onto the grounds. We came to a small greenhouse on the west side of the grounds, the perfect place to hold up until this storm blew over. To much of my relief, this particular greenhouse was used to grow vegetables for the entire castle and had for the most part remained productive. Oh what I wouldn't have given to know about this! I was starving by the time I made it this far a few days ago. Jet scanned one of the tomatoes and chanced giving it a nibble. She then began eating them one after another.

"MMMM! Organically grown! They are amazing! Dingy, you have to try these!" Anything to wash the sex out of my breath at this point. I don't even like tomatoes but they were amazing! "So... how are we going to handle this?" Jet said, taking a seat right as the rain began to fall on the mossy roof.

"That's just it. I hadn't thought that far ahead. I was more worried about saving our flanks."

"Well. Let's start at the beginning. We know Spark wants the data, I know that without it their magical extraction program is in its death throes. Without sustainable resources they can't continue to market to the masses on the scale they need to keep the doors open. But even still, if we have the data, why is everything still like this?" She asked, surprised that there weren't more ponies around.

"Yeah... when you do something in the past, shouldn't that change stuff in the future? We took their data, we have the spell, Clicky even... WHY IS EVERYTHING STILL SO CRAP!?" I shouted in frustration. My hooves covered my mouth in fear of possibly alerting those Blat things... But to my relief they never came. Huh, well, something's changed.

"If that were the case... then Spark would not be to blame. That's impossible. My mother knew that this was what was going to happen to us if we kept this all up!" Jet paused, turning only to see my shocked face. She knew? She knew this world existed and they still sent me here!? Jet began to scramble her words, fumbling them as though she had been caught lying. She stood before me, hooves beginning to tremble and sweat beading on her frosty white coat.

"Jet... This is one of those times where you need to be very clear about what you say..." I said, my words sharpened with an edge of threat. I stepped closer to her and gave my best stern glare, but I was fighting back emotion the whole time. I doubt it did much good.

"Ok... Listen. Before I tell you this, you have to understand some things first... I'm just asking that you consider the situation first. I came to know you under need to know information. On top of that, my mother had her own agenda, the kind of agenda that can't be spoken publicly. Dingy, we were planning to overthrow a multi-billion bit industry and put a stop to centuries old work and ideas in the blink of an eye. That's not something that you tell just anypony. We would have told you but... you know... Spark." She said setting down. "Mother had been working on a side project. Something of a timeline viewer to try and help plot out timelines.

The project was a success... A bit too much of a success. We were able to view time far in the future, but nothing sooner than the year 6303. We knew something had to have happened between then and now to force the connection closed. What that something was... we had no idea. It was a pet project, something of a hunch gone wild. When we figured out the possible implications of what it would mean if Spark got it, we moved it into secret storage. We had to find out more before we could come up with a plan.

When you came back... Things happened so fast and I was having some emotional issues... Dingy, I never meant to keep anything from you. I'm right here, telling you everything you need to know. Anything you want to know! I promise, it was never an act." She said, her final words near pleading. It was all convincing, but something was making my mane crawl, something that just didn't add up.

"Jet... Who is she?" I asked coldly. How could I have forgotten such a simple detail like this? I reached into the suit pocket and... it was still there. I pulled out a crumpled note and passed it to her. "I found this in your office that first night. it was framed on your wall. There was a picture on your desk from a wedding, a grey mare."

She looked it over a few times. I watched closely for any changes in her face, but all I was seeing was confusion. She folded the letter back up and passed it back to me and began pacing frantically.

"Jet? JET! What is with this letter!?" I shouted finally. It was no use, she just kept pacing. Finally, I slapped her chest and she broke her trance.

"Did you read this?" She said quietly.

"No... It seemed personally. I don't even know why I kept it." What could that piece of paper have to do with anything I wanted to know right now other than this all being a ruse!? Jet unfolded the paper with her magic and began to read it aloud for me.

"My dearest Jet, if you are reading this, I'm not coming back." She began but paused.

"So... a break up letter? I knew that much." But then she continued.

"Just know that I tried my hardest to get back to you. This world might not have shown me much, it might not have shown me anything at all other than pain... But it showed me love, it showed me you. Just know that our time together might have been short, but it is the only moment I hope I get to relive again and again. You will always be my one and only, no matter what the cost. Love, Dingy Beige."

The two of us stood in shock. Jet was shaking, I was perfectly still with fear. What happened!? How did it happen!? How did I make her fall so head of hooves for me, or vise versa? What tore us apart? I stood there, my mind racing, trying to put all the pieces together, but all I could think of was... It didn't work. Spark won and we were no more. But why would my letter be in her office on the wall in Spark Towers?

"Jet... Who was the mare on your desk? She was grey and you two were at a wedding." I asked as she stood and trotted to the window. She put her hoof out and touched the rain as it fell, running down her leg.

"Dingy... That was Clicky's wedding. It was one of the few times I ever got the chance to see somepony outside of work. It was in the summer, last year. I was her best mare."

Guilt flooded my mind. She protected us even though she had somepony to go home to. She had love, a life... family and she gave it all up because of something Egress had seen... How powerful of an event was it that could drive a pony to do that? Just when I thought that I put my heart through enough, I looked to the white unicorn in the window who had just read a letter from me saying I wasn't ever coming back. I could feel the tears in my eyes beginning to form. We had just met, I barely knew her but I knew there was something there, I could feel it! When I was near her it was like she was a magnet and I was steel, I couldn't help but get closer to her.

No... There is no way I would ever leave her. I know it was soon, but... In this moment, knowing how much this hurt her, I wanted nothing more than to make it all go away. I would live in a ruined past forever before I spent a second in Eden without her. But that only left one logical conclusion.

"Jet?" I said with a shaky voice. "I don't want to die..."

"Dingy!?" She shouted as she ran to my side. "What are you talking about!?"

"If I wrote this... It wasn't because I was leaving you. I-I-I couldn't! I wouldn't ever!"

"What are you saying!? Talk to me!" She screamed as she pulled me in close.

"Don't tell me you don't feel it either! Don't you dare! Jet when I'm with you, I just want to be with you and nothing else! I don't care about the future or the past or... any of this shit! I just want you! Every second I'm with you it gets worse... stronger. Every time I see you in pain, I hurt with you." I squalled. I finally had something I always wanted, somepony to call my own. Now I find out it's temporary. This was criminal, cruel and just... evil.

"Dingy... I feel it. I feel it too. When I'm with you I can't think straight... And I have a Phd in molecular magical manipulation!" She cried out with a little laugh of relief. "I just want you. Nothing else. Nothing more. Even if it's just for a little while or the rest of our lives."

There was relief for me in her words... But I was still terrified. We saw things we were never meant to know. We saw our futures together and no matter how I could unscramble the pieces, they just kept falling into the same place every time. I had Jet... She had me... But one day, she would lose me. There was no date on the letter. Just a sloppy signature and some heartfelt words. But there was no mistaking it, pain was in our future. But for now, I was going to make the best of it.

"I guess this is what mom was talking about when she was studying life long mating habits. Magic binds ponies to the earth, the sky and to their own mind... But it also binds them together in ways we can't explain."

"Jet?" I said from beneath her mane.

"Yes, Beigey?"

"Shut up... Just... hold me."

The comment got a snicker out of my partner and I was calling her my partner even if it did feel odd at first. The two of us spent the next few hours laying on our backs, bellies full of tomatoes that were threatening to run right through me, watching the rain fall. Jet would inevitably start trying to figure things out, thinking out loud about concepts, timelines and even some master plan that can't be changed because of something we already did. I just lay there next to her, trying to figure out how I ended up dying and leaving her all alone.

"What if... no... That would be ridiculous." She stammered.

"No, no. Keep going. I like listening to you talk.. helps keep my mind at ease." I said, scooching closer to her.

"Ok... hear me out. When all logical possibilities are dead ends... that leaves illogical, right?"

"I mean... ok?" I asked. I have no idea what she meant, but anything to keep her talking.

"Ok. So if we are here, now... Let's call it 6303B, because you have already been here once, 6303A. And things back in 2303 were ruined and broken beyond repair... Something would have had to have changed to put the world on this crash course. Anything that changes back then before you left the first time would affect 6303A and B. But anything that happened after you left would not affect 6303A, but would affect 6303B. This is all just theory... But that note. Is that from A universe or B universe? Because it is still with us. No,no,no... That's not it, back on track Jet.... The note is a checkpoint... it's from universe A, it would change if we made a change at any point in the timeline leading up to when you returned back! That's it!"

Jet shouted as she jumped up and down in place.

"WHAT!? What is it!"

"It's simple! Don't you see!"

"Hey! Smart pony! I might be cute to you, but you are talking to a mare that once tried to straighten her mane with a hot skillet." I said trying to contain her.

"Is that where that scar came from? Really?"

"Maybe..." I said, narrowing my eyes at her threateningly.

"Dingy... This note! It's unchanged because we haven't changed it yet! You picked this up when you came here the first time! That means it's not going to be there if we go back there now. It means that it could change! Maybe even disappear! If it can, then maybe we could change other things! This whole place! what happens next even!" Jet said in excitement. Wow... That mare could really turn it on and off in a hurry. I was barely keeping up, but... Was that hope I was feeling? Could we really change our futures? Is it really that simple of a plan?

"Wait... You mean we could... Fix all this!?"

"Maybe!? It's all paradoxical, but what choice do we have!? You said you were attacked by those rat things, just down the street right?"

"Yeah and it freaking sucked!"

"When was that? Days from now? When?"

"About a day after the rain stopped. Why?"

"I know a way to kill two birds with one stone, that's why. If we can find a safe spot nearby, I can pull the note from your pocket, make a mark on it and slip it back in. If it's still there when we look at your note, then this all holds water."

"But what about the Blats? I killed the breeding pair."

"Did you? Your back still has stitches in it."

"Hell..." I grumbled. "I don't want to go near those things..."

"If I'm right... Then you want those rats to be alive."

"I can't believe I'm saying this... But let's do it."

Jet bounced with glee. I sat there pouting about having to watch myself get mauled. Nothing like reliving the past. Woohoo... Can't wait.

oooooooooooooooooooo0000000000oooooooooooooooooooo

"Oh... Oh my goodness! Oh I can't look!" Jet said from the window to my right.

We had found a little hidey hole of a spot, three stories up and just down the street from where it all had happened. But even from here my screams sounded like they were coming from my own mouth as I swung the stop sign with all my strength. It was... horrifying. The first time was bad enough, but a live instant replay of it was pulling at locked doors in my mind. Jet had severely underestimated the Balts and I on the other hoof knew exactly what they were capable of. So imagine how thrilled I was to find out that I had not killed the breeding pair at all, in fact I think there were more of them this time.

"You have to look, you have to snag the note. Remember, right front leg, just above the Cuff." I said, giving her a nudge.

"Dingy, this is horrible! I can't!" She said, rising to the window, but closing her eyes.

"Jet, they are about to overwhelm me! Do you want your answer or not!?" I begged. Truthfully, I didn't just need to know, I had to know that we had this chance.

"Ok... Ok... I can do this." She said as she focused her magic on my leg and removed the letter with surgical precision. In a poof, it disappeared and reappeared between us. Subconsciously I caught myself patting my pocket to see if my copy was still there... It wasn't. Wasn't that an answer enough? But before I could say a word, Jet had placed a small mark on the paper and in a flash, it was gone again. Screams filled the air as the Blats descended atop past me. Jet looked on in horror as they swarmed my flailing body in a bid to free myself. I was right below us now, just at the edge of the building under a mass of mutated rats.

"Crap... I forgot! Get down!" I shouted, pushing Jet to the ground and covering both of our heads.

A few seconds later the room was bathed in a neon blue glow, followed by an explosion. The glass window panes gave way, showering us with tiny crystals of sharp stones. I felt Jet try to move under me but I pulled her back close just as the second shock wave hit. My screams were replaced by the screams of hundreds of smaller ones as they expired in the setting sun. It wasn't long before we both began to hear voices, two of them in fact. HA! See? I'm not crazy!

"Dingy! The note!" Jet said quietly.

I retrieved it, thanking my stars that it was back in its rightful place. But something was strange about it... I didn't have to open the note... I knew the mark was there.

"It worked." I said, setting between us.

"It did. But how do we know that?"

The two of us sat there, looking like we both had a sneeze that wouldn't come out as we tried to process what just happened. Finally, Jet reached out with her magic and opened the crumpled sheet and sure enough, there was the mark she had placed.

"Dingy, how did we know it had worked!?" She said, staring at the floor.

"Oh! That thing you said! We changed something in A and it had a direct effect in B or something. If the mark had always been there, we would remember it! Whoa... That's freaky."

"Freaky indeed. Ok, we know it works. We know we can change this future... But how do we change it?" She said... sat in place.

"Don't look at me. I'm good with plants and that's about it." I said pittfully.

"Well... That's not the only thing you're good at." She said, leaning it for a nuzzle."

Oh hello! That was a new fact now wasn't it. If we could find a way to easily fire off that spell again from here, then we could go back at any point in time and repair the damage that was done. It was a second, third... maybe even a fourth chance for us to make things right! We could even barge into the meeting they were having the day somepony came up with the idea to extract magic! This was an absolute win for us! My train of thought was stopped by the sound of a very drunk me drooling all over a very agitated ghost.

"Oh! Jet, quick! This is the best part!" I said as I pulled her up by her suit to the window. The two of us looked down and... wow that was a lot of blood! How did I not die!? Jet was beginning to wretch from the sight and truthfully, I wasn't far behind. I could see bones. But that didn't last long.

"That's nice..."

"DINGY! There are more of those things and I can't pull that special little move off again. We have to go!" She said, pointing at the building.

"Ok. Can we get ice cream?"

"...Sure..."

"YAY! ICE CREAM!"

"SHHH! Quiet..."

"Yay! Ice cream!"

Jet was officially wetting herself. I was not far behind and we were both holding each others mouths shut. In our fight to keep quiet I feared we were making more noise than if we were just laughing normally. Jet buried her face in my chest and began to nearly cry from what she had just seen.

The door to the storage depot was wide open, past me was nowhere to be seen, but Rocket was looking right at me. I smacked Jet and turned her head towards the ghostly blue mare and pointed.

"Oh crap... Is this bad? This feels bad." I said in a whisper.

"It's not good... no..."

Rocket, glanced inside, then back at us before raising a hoof to her lips and mouthing 'shhhh'. She gave a little over exaggerated wink and was gone.

"She... She knew we were there. Here... Jet she knew! She didn't say anything to me either! Jet, what's going on!? I don't remember any of that!" I said, falling to the ground. With the note it was as simple as night and day... But this... I had no memory whatsoever.

"I don't know Dingy. How could that thing have known about us being here!? She must have heard us laughing or something."

"Well, if I don't remember it, does that mean it won't have an effect on our future?"

"No. It shouldn't. But this is all new frontier science! We know nothing, we can only guess." She said, pointing at the note. The note... it was still here. It was wearing fresh ink but otherwise unchanged. Every time I glanced at it I was being softly reminded that our story had an ending that was less than fairy tale. Anxiety and fear flowed through my body like electricity every time I thought about how I was doomed to leave Jet here, alone one day. It pulled at my heart too much to bear. It was in direct violation of a promise I made to Clicky. No, this all had to change.

"So what do we do now?" I asked as I tested the dust layer on a centuries-old mattress. I recoiled as it mushed under my weight and turned to goo that clung to my coat. "Ew..."

"We need a plan. Something that will allow you to still come to the future, but at the same time, stop Spark. I have been thinking about this... There is no way to do this without consequences." She said as she folded up the note and put it in her pocket.

"What do we have to lose? At this point it's already broken. At least we got each other... Whatever amount of time that is." I said, trying to wipe the goo from my suit and coat.

"Like I said, there will be consequences but there is a bright side to all of this." She said as she trotted over closer to me.

"And that is?"

"We have all the time in the world."

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed this story, I have a few others, some even longer on my homepage! To answer your next question, yes, there will be a part 2 and even a 3 with larger word counts and maybe even a solid conclusion. Seeing as this story is meant to push me out of my comfort zone of my typical FoE fiction with different rules, female leads, time travel, paradoxical correctness and even less joking around like I enjoy doing... I intend to see this through and die with the herd so to speak.
At the risk of casting my hard work to the winds on this site in a sea of thousands of other like stories, I can only hope that you found enjoyment in my writing. Nihil sub sole novum, but here is hoping that you enjoyed it all the same.

Comments ( 24 )

Saw the title and cover, and it instantly reminded me of Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

That was quite a ride, I had to power through and read it in one go but the was very thrilling. Now I am intrigued to see how this paradox gets solved.

I was unable to guess the real identity of Rocket. I'm thinking maybe she had something to do with Project Ele or is actually Dingy/Jet. I'm well and truly stumped, but oh so terribly curious as to the answer.

Good story!

10379189
Thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry about the editing, it was rushed and I am fixing it now. I plan for a part 2 soon! I did that thing with Rocket on purpose, I have a plan for her that will be... surprising. But don't go expecting an answer to that question straight away. I'm having too much fun with her character.
Part two will have no word count limit either. I plan for it to be much longer so I can get the details right and really dive into the plot! I'm so happy you enjoyed the story!

I absolutely loved this story! I don't know if you were going with Spark being like Aperture from portal but I love the sciencey things and the normal person thrust in with a bunch of egg-heads lol.

I found Rocket fascinating and can't wait to see them in next parts. Great story mate.

10378067
I'm sorry to say that this was not inspired by that. Unfortunately, I have never heard of that story, but I promise to look into it.

RDT

Ooooh! Your treatment of time travel and alternate universes is really interesting.

Still don't know if Rocket is our current universe Jet or an alternate universe Jet. Though I don't think I could handle it if it was our current Jet. Listening to Rocket, she and Dingy went through some terrible stuff.

And I'm waiting for the "sweetie" payoff!

10387540
No worries! You will get your pay off before too long. I'm just taking a little while off to finish a chapter of one of my longer stories then I will be writing part two.

Good story. Only 23 likes is a crime!

10393659
Well it's still relatively new, I've got high hopes though!

This is amazing. The time travel and everything, the drama, the suspense!
Fantastic story!!
A rare slot in my fave for you.

What about an end, though. Very open and ominous.

10565704
Part two is in the works, I promise lol. I work retail management in a tourist town and this month is the hardest month to find free time. We actually call this month hell month because of the madness that is holiday traffic and what not. That said, I promise that part two is in the works and will be coming out in 2021, hopefully early 2021. These stories take a while for me to write and go through mountains of editing before that can be released properly (even with all of the editing they are not good enough for Eqd lol). I have all the ground work laid and a few chapters done already for part two. If I cant get any major progress done by January 23rd, I will go ahead and make public what all I have so far. Thank you for you kind words! Sometimes comments like yours are the only thing that motivates me to keep writing!

10568351
I know full well what you mean. As an avid writer, I feel the pain of creating a story. Comments are fuel for our soul.

I look forward to the future of your story.

And I know hell month, I was a chef and work in the shipping industry now. Lol
Only as a chef we had hell days.
Friday,Saturday, Sunday, and holidays.

10568403
My heart goes out to you, friend! I'm excited to get back to it, seeing as I do a large chonk of it here at work between customers, I get about 3 words in and I have to help someone. I think at one point I got frustrated and wrote a sentence in this story like... "Ok, Dingy... Don't kill them, they just need their coil changed..." And nearly left it in the story lol.

10568457
The joys of writing on a phone.
Lol

11003248
Kinda? I write a lot of FoE stuff and i wanted an alternate to it. Imagine a fallout world where the semiconductor was discovered.

11003247
I imagine it would be given back in exit processing.

We had found a little hidey hole of a spot, three stories up and just down the street from where it all had happened. But even from here my screams sounded like they were coming from my own mouth as I swung the stop sign with all my strength. It was... horrifying. The first time was bad enough, but a live instant replay of it was pulling at locked doors in my mind. Jet had severely underestimated the Balts and I on the other hoof knew exactly what they were capable of. So imagine how thrilled I was to find out that I had not killed the breeding pair at all, in fact I think there were more of them this time.

The fire didn't kill them permanently is what I bet

This story was freaking great!!!

11004446
I'm happy you liked it! Sorry for not replying to the other comments, but part 2 is in the works and I don't want to give anything away lol

11007790
I'm very happy to hear it

Comment posted by Starlight Nova deleted Oct 27th, 2021

11014470
you know, that's an excellent question. I try to write to the tune of a character's voice when I can, but in this case I would have to say it's hard to nail down. I think she would sound a lot like Zoë E. Bell. Her character is certainly not written from a Kiwi perspective, but as far as sound and how bubbly she can be at times, I would say Zoë would be a ringer for sound.

Edit: as far as pony universe goes: Think a sweeter Trixie. I just love the high pitched squeaks so damn much!

When is the squeal coming out?

11030792
gonna be a hot minute. I like writing these to completion. I tried to force myself to release what I have already, but every time I do I find a plot hole that need filled or a new idea that deepens the plot further. I'm a slave to my own criticism.

Login or register to comment