• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 8,783 Views, 2,906 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Aincrad - Mindrop



The Girls get trapped in the newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life.

  • ...
27
 2,906
 8,783

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 32 - Blue Stones

Floor 22 – Front Line 58

March 26

Bladescape exited the NPC shop in Coral, the main settlement on the quiet 22nd Floor. It was late in the evening with a nice sunset coming through the slits in Aincrad between the Floors. She had come straight here from Floor 57.

Up to that point, Bladescape had spent a total of three days on the Floor, and all three were during the radically short time it took to clear the docile floor. Almost no monsters appeared and it had no dungeons, bosses, or quests, that she knew of. It was a Floor of Lakes and woods. Perfect for fishing and wood crafting. Backbreaker came to this Floor to fish.

The NPC shop did not have any Blue Stones. It was no surprise, but it was a decent place to start. Bladescape was not sure where else to go except to the inn for rest. She was dragging from her time hunting the Dagannoths. The encounter with Laughing Coffin was also a big emotional weight to be carrying.

A commotion from the players in the hamlet caused Bladescape to search her surroundings better. Her Search Skill hadn't picked up anything dangerous. Finally, she saw a large snake was making its way by a group of players, minding its own business and headed in Bladescape's general direction. The scales suddenly shimmered like a rainbow as the sun caught them just right.

"And just what do you think you are doing‽"

Bladescape leaped as she twisted around to face the voice that had come from behind her. She even drew her sword. Her nerves were on edge more than she thought, which was no surprise considering what had happened only a few short hours prior.

Split in her vision by her blade was Doombunny. A very angry Doombunny. Her arms were crossed and brow furrowed as she waited for an answer. Except Bladescape didn't know what she had asked. Colorra circled around Doombunny and slithered up her master to perch on her shoulders and torso.

"Well?" Doombunny demanded.

"You scared me," Bladescape panted. She was still very tense and hadn't even lowered her sword. She couldn’t. "I don't know what you asked."

"I asked you what you are doing here?" Doombunny said, annoyed she had to repeat her question.

A crowd of ten or so players had formed. Half were clearly fishermen, the other wood crafters. They probably had never seen this much "excitement" in their little town.

"I'm here collecting materials," Bladescape fired back, annoyed. "The bigger question is what are you doing here! You're supposed to be with Knightstar, Lessa, and Diemond! You also are under safety restrictions to be with two guild members at all times."

Doombunny huffed. "We heard from Knightstar that you had been jumped by orange players. It didn't take me long to hear who exactly it was who jumped you." Doombunny didn't say Laughing Coffin. She didn't want to disrupt the small-time folks who were just trying to survive in SAO. Floor 22 was quiet and a perfect place to live while waiting SAO's clearing out. "I'm not dumb. I skipped out and tracked you here to provide you back up. You got the hides you needed, now it's on to non-combat items. Colorra and I will be helping you and backing you up. And there is nothing you can do about it."

Doombunny had a high Search level. She could track players, especially friends. It was an in-system ability that the higher rankings of the Search Skill provided. Bladescape had been able to do it for a while.

Bladescape lowered her sword and then shakily put it away. She pulled up her menu and sent a message to Knightstar that Doombunny had arrived to join her, and that the others needed to stay on task.

"Fine," Bladescape said, sending a party request. "You can stay. I have to spend the night here. I had one hell of a time hunting the Dagannoths and their flag boss."

"You soloed a flag boss‽" Doombunny said, shocked. Her anger had subsided since she had won.

Bladescape nodded. "I didn't have a choice, and the ground in the swamp didn't give me a lot of room to work with. At most, I could have had another player with me. I unexpectedly ran into the orange players. They weren't hunting me. It was a big mistake on their part. I knocked them down a few pegs."

"Wow" a fisherman said. "You took down a boss on your own?"

Bladescape shrugged. "I won't lie, it wasn't easy. But I'm up at the top as one of the clearers for a reason. And I wasn't going to waste a teleport crystal and then work all the way back to where I was a few hours later with some back up."

"Then what are you doing down here?" another asked.

"I need to acquire a large amount of Blue Stones for a crafting project," Bladescape explained. "And not stones that are blue, but the item called Blue Stones. Floor 22 was where I was told to start looking. I was told to look all along the edges of the lakes."

"Yeah, they are here," he confirmed. "But they are spread out. If you need a lot, you will have to search for a while, across the whole Floor."

"Maybe," Bladescape said, a sly grin growing on her face. "But maybe you and others would be willing to help me. I'll pay you at least 5,000 Col per full bag. The price may go up if it proves to be harder to gather all the stones I need."

Bladescape opened her menu and pulled out a small sack. "This is the size of the sacks I need filled up with the stones. I'll leave 20 here and you guys can see what you can rope up nearby. Me and my friend will head further out to see what we can drag up. I'll be back in 3 days, and we can trade here."

"You'll pay 5k for that small sack being filled with Blue Stones? I'm in!"

The others around were as well. Bladescape handed out sacks and then went to the inn. She would hand out more sacks in the morning if other players decided to make some easy money. The news would pass around soon enough.

The inn only had one room available to rent. Doombunny and Bladescape had to double up. It felt good to have another body in the bed, as small as it was.

The morning brought several more stone hunters. She passed out the bags and then the two of them were off. Since Doombunny didn't have Sprint, it was a much slower hike than what Bladescape could do on her own. It brought both frustration and contentment at having someone to watch her back. Doombunny wasn’t straying far as she hunted for the stones. She was always in sight.

They came across one of the small streams that provided the lakes with fresh water. Doombunny picked up a small stone from the myriad of others at the bottom.

"Here's one," Doombunny said. "Reveal isn't just a Skill against other players and animals. It also allows me to find specific items."

Bladescape's heart both stopped and moved to the pit of her stomach. The stone was no bigger than a marble. If that was the size of the stone, and she needed 80 bags, this would be a huge task.

"Here," Bladescape said, extending the bag. "Put it in here."

"What's wrong?" Doombunny sweetly asked.

"I need 80 of these bags."

"Oh my," Doombunny said with her sweet voice. "Well I am sure that was just a baby stone. Oh shoot! Now I sound like Pinkie Pie going off about stones and their families."

Both of them had a good laugh. AFCK was convinced that in this virtual world, rocks had a family, they grew up, had babies, and after they died, they were supposed to be harvested like a vegetable. There had been no references even hinting at that, but it wasn't something they could fix, even with logic. Some of AFCK's neural networks were locked into infinite loops of false or illogical thinking patterns, but all of them had to have their own patterns set by the shock of it all and what this game actually meant. Every single player alive had to have their own logical pitfalls they were stuck in because of the nerve gear.

They began to search the stream further. Bladescape found a Blue Stone that fit in the palm of her hand. It wasn't some tiny pebble. There was hope that this task would not take too long.

Every Wondercolt carried a sleeping kit for use in the field. They now had to keep watch if they rested, running shifts, but they still carried it as standard gear. Search helped reduce the chance of being jumped. At higher levels, they could set a field up so that if the distance was broken, an alarm woke them up.

They camped out overnight and continued their search in the morning. The had gathered a good 10 bags from the first stream. Each stream they came across had other stones, varying in size and quantity.

They traveled away from Coral, almost to the boundaries of the wall. There was a lake that backed the outer wall of Aincrad. The water calmly lapped against smooth stone shores. There were plenty of blue stones dotted around, but it wasn't going to be enough.

"Sunset!" Doombunny called excitedly from further down the shore. "Under us is a whole bunch of the stones! Just waiting to be uncovered."

Bladescape began digging, tossing aside the regular stones with little care. After a good 8 inches were cleared away, there was plenty of stones hidden. They filled up 50 sacks just on that jackpot alone. They almost had what they needed.

"What are you going to do about the others hunting stones for you?" Doombunny asked as they bedded down for the second night.

"I'll pay them, as promised," Bladescape yawned. "They don't know how many I need; they also don't know many we acquired. Bringing back extra won't be a problem either."

"Good point."

The second night was a lot more peaceful as the shore gently lapping at the rocks helped calm them down with its lullaby. Bladescape slept an extra few hours because of it. The morning sun, slipping in from between the floors, still made sure they were awake by its gentle, but piercing, rays of warmth.

The hike back was quiet, uneventful, and beautiful. The vast lakes, hills, and forests made it one of the prettiest Floors designed by Akihiko Kayaba and his team. This death game was still a game at its core, despite what it had been turned into.

They got back to Coral in the late afternoon on day three. News of their arrival sparked the fishermen and wood crafters to come and present their bags of Blue Stones while Bladescape and Doombunny ate dinner in the local NPC restaurant. It was the only NPC place to eat in the small village.

Bladescape paid full price for a filled bag. Others brought in sacks only half filled, or even less, their luck being lower than others. Bladescape paid what she thought was a fair amount for their harvest and the players of Coral made some easy money. In the end, Bladescape had 89 bags of Blue Stones.

Bladescape (SS): Lvl 79 – Two-Handed SwordSearchWeapon DefenseLeather Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Sprint – Acrobatics – Blade Throwing – Extended Weight Carry
Knightstar (TS): Lvl 68 – One-Handed SwordShieldEquipment AppraisalParry – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Search – Armor Pierce
Thunderborne (RBD): Lvl 71 – RapierSprintAcrobaticsArmor Pierce – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Leather Armor – Weapon Defense – Extended Weight Carry – Search
Backbreaker (AJ): Lvl 74 – Heavy ShieldOne-Handed War HammerExtended Weight CarryHeavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Fishing – Search – Martial Arts – Acrobatics
AFCK (PP): Lvl 71 – Two-Handed AxeParryCookingWeapon DefenseMartial Arts – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Thrown Weapon – Musical Instrument
Diemond (R): Lvl 71 – Heavy Shield – Mace – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Heavy Metal Armor – TailoringLight Metal Armor ForgingHeavy Metal Armor Forging – Jewelry Making – Extended Weight Carry
Doombunny (FS): Lvl 68 – One-Handed Dagger – First Aid – HideSearchListening – Battle Regeneration – Fighting Spirit – Familiar Communication (Colorra) – Drug Mixing – Reveal
Astro (PS): Lvl 71 – Two-Handed Spear - Purchase Negotiation – Armor Pierce – Acrobatics – First Aid – Light Metal Armor – Battle Regeneration – Weapon Defense – Parry – Extended Wight Carry
Kiefer: Lvl 68 – One-Handed Curved Blade – Parry – Weapon Defense – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Slash Weapon Forging – Katana – Martial Arts
Lessa: Lvl 68 – One-Handed Sword – Shield – Light Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Equipment Repair – Metal Equipment Repairing – Armor Pierce – Search
Joltron: Lvl 72 – One handed Axe – Heavy Shield – Heavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Metal Refining – Blunt Weapon Forging – One Handed Weapon Creation – Two Handed Weapon Creation – Extended Weight Carry

PreviousChapters Next