• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 8,781 Views, 2,906 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Aincrad - Mindrop



The Girls get trapped in the newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life.

  • ...
27
 2,906
 8,781

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 65 - Finishing What Was Started

Front Line - Floor 62
June 14 - Year 2

Sasha had chosen to check in with the kids. Klein and Bladescape would pick her up at the church after they finished the business they now had to attend to.They followed Thinker into the Black Iron Palace and, after a few twists and turns inside, they were in a large room that was surprisingly comfortable despite the exterior of the palace. It had a dining table, which was set. Yulier was already there.

It was a simple meal, but it was good. It showed that those at the top of the largest guild were not eating like kings that many would have expected. 3000 players were a lot of mouths to feed.

Once they were done, there was the uncomfortable minute where no one was sure how to start the meeting. Bladescape felt ashamed for how far she had taken things.

Thinker spoke first. "Why don't you explain how you were attacked, twice, by him?"

"Oh," Bladescape quietly exclaimed. "That is easy. A few months back, while gathering materials, the leather for my armor, I ran into him and three others when they tried to ambush me. He isn't far up the chain. I had one paralyzing agent left which I was carrying for hunting the beasts, so I used it to disable them. Doombunny is a member of my guild, the Snake Charmer and poison maker. I left them there, where they fell, because there wasn't anyone else nearby enough to properly capture them before the paralysis wore off. He was humiliated by name because of how easily I knocked him out of the fight. The Assault Team was in a huge fit that Laughing Coffin members attacked one of their own so close to the front line. They rushed the place, but it was empty by the time they got there."

"I didn't remember that you were the one they had attacked," Thinker admitted. "I had heard of the incident. I am also aware of Doombunny and her special skills. As well as her allegiance. I do remember when you two brought in the other orange guild to us. Now, how about the attack today?"

Blade gave a solemn nod. "He was a fool who wanted to finish what had been started. We were training Sasha, the woman who runs the church and cares for the kids. You met three of them yesterday."

"I remember that," Thinker nodded.

"We were headed to an old farming location to raise her dagger skill level and her overall XP so she could be a better caretaker. She asked us yesterday if we could, so we are taking one extra day off. Or it was supposed to be off. I enlisted Klein because the other half of my guild is caring for the kids in her place. We still have a party we sent into the boss labyrinth, clearing the front lines.

"I didn't catch their presence fast enough. They have a high Hide Skill, probably maxed. I saved Klein last second with a yank out of the way. They jumped out, we got Sasha to teleport out, Klein followed her as I unleashed round two against them with my blade poisoned, again with another paralyzer. We had walked right up to their hiding place, which I doubt is occupied anymore. I got them to break off attacking me momentarily and I grabbed a teleport crystal, calling for the teleport. Kurayaro, he leaped at me, intent on breaking my concentration so I failed the teleport under the stress of being charged. I didn't, he ran his spear through me, and we were face to face. He had to be grabbing me tightly, or it was because of the spear, because he came with me. I materialized on the teleport plaza with his face still in mine like I had last seen it.

"I wasn't expecting that and neither was he. He recovered first, we exchanged a few, private, words, and then I got inside his head and dropped my sword's pommel onto his skull. I knocked him back and onto his back. It felt good. I lost it and I began to beat him with my sword. You came right after I came back to my senses."

"You didn't hear me screaming your name," Klein said. The concern was obvious in his voice. "You were trying to pound him into polygons despite the system stopping you. I'm surprised you don't have an orange cursor because you attacked a player in a safe zone. It has to be because he is a permanent orange player."

Bladescape sighed, ashamed. She knew it was written all over her body and face. "I snapped. I wanted to punish him. I wanted to beat him for all his crimes. He is an original member of Laughing Coffin. I wanted him to remember it for the rest of his life. The Wondercolts are friends, and in real life they saved me from my darker side when I was about to get what I thought I wanted. I saw no mercy or redemption for him, despite knowing how much I was given."

It was Yulier who spoke. "You turned your sword on him to punish yourself."

Bladescape slowly nodded to confirm her statement. "I can now recall the moment I switched in my head from he to she. But I was lost in my self loathing and hatred."

"This game is getting to us all," Klein admitted quietly. "Not just you, or your guild, but I feel it and so do the guys in Fuurinkazan. It can bring out the worst in us. A little fear goes a long way. And they have the jail to prove it."

"But," Bladescape stuttered. "But, I still...I should be the very model of redemption. I-"

"Stop," Thinker ordered her. "You can't put that much pressure on yourself. You can't be that to everyone. And I don't expect you to be that to yourself."

Bladescape sighed, lost in her thoughts. She was once again seeing only her hatred of herself and giving herself even more for losing it on a helpless victim. He might be evil, but he was helpless after the initial hit and she still beat him without mercy. Why did she deserve mercy?

Bladescape jumped as Klein put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it. It was for both support and to help snap her out of her downward spiral. She flashed him a smile and then looked at Thinker.

"I have told you what happened. Now what for me? I may have been in a safe zone, and he might have been a member of Laughing Coffin who's spear was in my chest, but I still beat a man to what would have killed him in real life or out of a safe zone."

"If you are seeking punishment, I won't give it," Thinker declared. "You are punishing yourself right now. And I think the best thing for you to do is go with Klein and take Sasha and finish your training with her. Today you need to give back. You need to be kind to others rather than push yourself on the front lines or sit thinking. Don't dwell on this right now. Do something good for someone else. Be a Wondercolt. It is obviously important to you and your friends and means something to all of you."

Bladescape forced herself to smile as she replied. “Oh, it means something to be a Wondercolt. A lot more than you can easily understand. We made an impact in the world around us I.R.L. A good one."

"Then hold onto that," Yulier told her. "Hold on to that for your life as you fight on the front lines. We can't be perfect, but we can be imperfectly good people. And you are a good person and player. You don't seem to be different despite being in a game."

Bladescape thought that statement through. Her smile was genuine this time. "Only one of us is different. Doombunny is much more assertive and aggressive than she is in the real world. And it is a good thing. It's not just kept her alive, but it was something she was working on in the real world. She was working to not be a doormat. And right now, she isn't. But who we truly are inside of us, it isn't different despite being here. There is little to no difference to us in either reality."

Bladescape stood up. "And now, it is time for me to be myself and a Wondercolt. Thank you for the food, the hospitality, and for talking things through with me. Your kindness and generosity has been, well it's been a déjà vu of sorts. A good one. But I have to. Klein and I have to go make sure we finish this current good deed. So the kids are better cared for.

"And before I go, I want to say one thing. The Army is usually looked down upon, especially from those of us on the Front Line. But we rarely come down here. For the largest guild by a factor of at least 25 over any other guild, and with the goals you have, you are doing a great job. It can't be easy holding together so many players, but you are. And Aincrad would be significantly worse off if you were not doing as well as you are. Aincrad needs you for more than a jail. You are, in a way, our foundation guild."

"Thank you," Thinker said, shaking Bladescape's hand. "That is good to hear. It is very easy to be self critical, and running such a large guild requires more delegation than I want. There are wrinkles to iron out, and we are."

Klein also thanked them as well and Thinker and Yulier showed them out. All the way to the teleport plaza.

"Thanks for being there to pick me up when I fell," Bladescape immediately told Klein when they were alone. "I know you said it a few weeks back, but you were actually right there, and you didn't disappoint."

"Of course," Klein said, pulling her in for a hug. She wrapped her arms around him in automatic response. "I certainly couldn't let my second favorite Wondercolt down."

"Second?" Bladescape asked, offended.

"Well, first if you remove AFCK's cupcakes from the equation."

Bladescape's heel ground into his foot and Klein jumped back wincing from the pain. Bladescape snickered. It was what he deserved for that stunt.

"Come on, Doll Face,” Klein said. “We have an important woman to train. You've got me by your side for the day. Thinker was right, you need to do something good today. You have me for support, now let's keep that promise you made and do some undeniable good."

"Yeah," Bladescape smiled, gaining her confidence once again. "Let's do it."

"You know," Klein said as they began to walk to the church. "You realize Aincrad and the real world have different rules. Any player at any age can get married to another player. Our old ideas about age are not necessarily valid here. Just saying."

Bladescape rolled her eyes. "I will concede that point to you. But only concede that point. I'm barely together. The last thing I need right now would be the distraction of a relationship."

"Fair enough," Klein shrugged. "I was just stating a fact that I have been recently thinking about."

“Thinking is what gets you in trouble,” Bladescape poked back.

Klein let out a long sigh in concession. He set himself up for that.

It took them nothing to get to the church. Over that short time, both Klein and Bladescape rebuilt their walls, and were ready to go to battle once more. At least for the rest of this day, it would be a good battle, strengthening and growing, not conquering and killing.

Kids were playing ball in the courtyard in front of the church, and a group of boys were even fighting each other in mock combat with their swords and shields. To them, it was another day just like any other. They didn't really pay attention to Bladescape and Klein as they entered the church.

AFCK's loud voice made it easy for them to find the others. She was in the kitchen while the others, except for Doombunny, were in the dining hall. Diemond was helping Mina with a sewing project and Joltron was talking with Sasha.

Joltron spotted them first. "There you are! How are you? I heard it was rough."

"That is putting it a bit lightly," Bladescape fired back. "But both of us are ready. And Sasha, we promised you levels."

"We can still get you to Level 40," Klein assured her. "And it will be safe. We know some other spots to hit. We will get your blade level up a bit more, and then grind for your total Level XP. We will go somewhere popular, with a big enough presence that they won't dare to show up."

Sasha was unsure. She was clearly afraid and rightly so.

"Look around," Bladescape said. "You will see that the kids are fine and they are having fun. And tomorrow you won't have this chance. You risk being stuck where you are, and we are not even at Floor 65 yet. You need more Skill Slots. And you were rocking it today. You did it to protect them, and you were doing exactly what you needed to. They are a big love of yours, and you want to be the best you can be for them. And rightfully so. I had an amazing time yesterday with Gin, Kain, and Mina. And it looks like the rest of the Wondercolts are having just as good of a time as I was. Take this opportunity that we still have and seize it. For them."

"But," Sasha said, stalling out.

"You are not weak." Both Klein and Bladescape jumped at the voice that came from behind them. Klein's blade was mostly drawn, waiting just for the flick of the wrist to unleash it fully. Bladescape had Harmonic Salvation only at a quarter draw, but that was because she subconsciously recognized the voice through the fear.

Doombunny stood just inside the doorway, arms crossed with Colorra attentive and coiled up aggressively to match her master. Bladescape realized that while Doombunny was angry, the anger wasn't at Sasha, although the harsh sounding words were directed at her.

"Everything went well enough," Doombunny said, still furious. "I didn't find any kids, despite using Search, Listen, and Reveal. I think you have them all. For today at least.

"And despite the other rumors I was picking up on, everything worked out. All three of you are safe. It was unlucky, but that was all. You were not a target. Today is your day. A well deserved day. Don't waste it. We are giving you everything we can to make sure you get this opportunity. We will not get this opportunity to put our focus onto you again. Our duty and where our energy has to go, starting tomorrow, is to freeing you. It is what is best all around."

Sasha sat there, thinking over what Doombunny said. Doombunny let her think as she strode to Bladescape's side. She pulled out two vials and handed them to her friend. Her face was still angry. Something had happened on her walk through the city to find more kids to help. But as she handed Bladescape the vials, her eyes flashed with a love only Fluttershy could give. A soft, warm glow from the softest, warmest, kindest member of the Wondercolts. And more importantly, her I.R.L. friend.

Bladescape smiled into those eyes. "We also used a poison for Sasha to win Floor 15's big quest. The tournament one."

Doombunny nodded and wordlessly handed a replacement poison to her friend.

"How's this shindig going?" ask another voice behind them.

Again Klein almost had his blade drawn as he spun into his default fighting stance. Bladescape had pulled Harmonic Salvation halfway out before she realized it was Backbreaker who had spoken. The others were behind her. She had not expected to see them until the evening.

Bladescape slammed Harmonic Salvation back into its sheath. She was shaking from the fear. She hadn't expected it to happen twice. And it had her not just on edge, but angry. "Fine," Bladescape said through a tight jaw.

"Klein still hasn't retracted his blade," Backbreaker pointed out.

Bladescape snorted, even more angry that she couldn't get control of herself. "We just dealt with LC. Another freak run in. We are trying to get Sasha back out with us, to finish what we started, leveling her up." Bladescape tried to change topics. "You are out early. And now here."

"New development," Backbreaker said, avoiding specifics. They clearly didn't leave the Labyrinth because they hit low HP. "So we all decided, why sit at home, let’s go check in with the others. But now we can load up a full party and really give Sasha the best. And help calm your nerves."

AFCK came out of nowhere, bear hugging Bladescape but still managing to have an open hand in front of her face. On it was a cupcake. "Cupcake to calm your nervous nerves?"

Klein snatched it out of AFCK's hand. "Sure!"

AFCK burst out into a snorting laugh of pure joy. Of course she had more cupcakes for them. Most were for the kid's dinner, but she could spare several.

"I feel better," Bladescape admitted as she finished her cupcake. "And we ate a good meal with Thinker and Yulier, so it wasn't food I needed."

"Well I have a fun dinner planned," AFCK declared. "So you guys better get out there, grab those levels, and be back for it!"

"Come on, Sasha," Backbreaker said. "With my shield, you will be safe. I don't bend. I don't break."

If it had been Bladescape and Backbreaker in the battle with Laughing Coffin, they would have died. Backbreaker was too slow. Outnumbered and surrounded was Backbreaker's weakness. She needed heavy backup to adjust for her immobility. However, Bladescape didn't need to point it out. Sasha needed to hear it and she was ready to go with that encouragement.

"Alright!" Thunderborne exclaimed. "Let's go kick some monster butt!"

"No," Bladescape said with a sly grin. "You and Astro are going to go kick the kid's butts in soccer or some other sport. Or are you too chicken to handle that?"

"Oh we can handle it," Astro said, taking Thunderborne out of the potential party members with her.

"What do we need, shields or swords?" Kiefer asked.

"Forwards," Bladescape replied. "Miss Sasha is set up like Doombunny. We block, she jumps out and strikes, then back to safety. You and Lessa would round us out well to a full party of six. But we don't even need Backbreaker for our plans. Up to you."

"I'm in," Kiefer said with a wink.

"Me too," Lessa said. "I think we can do more as six than three. Besides, it is always fun to see what dumb thing Klein will do next."

"Hey!" Klein exclaimed. He didn't follow up with an argument though.

"Floor 46 is still populated," Kiefer advised. "We could hit the ants and as a team, we can start fresh and jump in and out rather quickly. It will be simple to block and let Miss Sasha strike before we finish them."

"Quick and efficient," Klein added. "We have to make up for some lost time.”

"Then that is our plan," Bladescape said, solidifying it. "By dinner, Sasha will be up to at least Level 40."

They added the new party members and then they were off. Floor 46 had two open canyons. They didn't have to wait to be rotated in. Several parties were resting up after using the lack of a waiting period to their advantage. The Wondercolts did as well, but while the others were mid level players, they were from the top. They only needed one or two up front with Sasha, so they stayed well rested as the hours passed. Sasha was the only one needing a break. But while she got a break from leveling up her One-Handed Dagger Skill, she was still gaining Level XP at an expedited rate.

Sasha hit Level 40 from their diligence in the early evening. It was too late for them to walk back to the teleport plaza and get back for the kid's normal dinner time. AFCK had told them to be back for dinner. They pulled out teleport crystals and Klein gave one to Sasha.

They teleported back to the Town of Beginnings and then rushed to the church. Inside it was a loud, chaotic scene. All of the kids were in the dining hall, crammed into the tables. But they were not eating, they were waiting and salivating. AFCK was cooking up something absolutely delicious.

"MISS SASHA!" "TEACH!" Multiple kids yelled out in greeting as they saw them arrive. They didn't leave their hard fought seats though.

"Hello!" Miss Sasha greeted them. "Did you all behave well today?"

It was a fury of "yes" in reply.

Another table had been brought in for the "adults." They now had a large group to seat outside from the kid's tables. Doombunny, Bladescape, Klein, and Sasha sat at the original "adult" table that Sasha usually sat at alone while the kids ate.

AFCK popped out of the kitchen, right as they sat down, swinging a huge, oversized pot filled with stew. The other two she had been working with all day were loaded down with trays of bread and other items. It was a full course of food for the kids.

Bladescape raised her glass of water to her table. "Bunny and Klein, I raise my glass to you. We got these kids in an even better and safer place. Sasha, I raise my glass to your bravery today, and more importantly, to your love of these kids and all you do for them. They are alive because of you. It is impressive all that you do for and teach them."

"I second that!" Klein said, raising his glass even higher. "Bravery to you, to the kids, and cheers to all you do! In the end, it was a successful day!"

Bladescape (SS): Lvl 83 – Two-Handed SwordSearchWeapon DefenseLeather Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Sprint – Acrobatics – Blade Throwing – Extended Weight Carry - Greatsword
Thunderborne (RBD): Lvl 75 – RapierSprintAcrobaticsArmor Pierce – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Leather Armor – Weapon Defense – Extended Weight Carry – Search
Backbreaker (AJ): Lvl 78 – Heavy ShieldOne-Handed War HammerExtended Weight CarryHeavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Fishing – Search – Martial Arts – Acrobatics
AFCK(PP): Lvl 75 – Two-Handed AxeParryCookingWeapon DefenseMartial Arts – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Thrown Weapon – Musical Instrument
Diemond (R): Lvl 75 – Heavy Shield – Mace – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Heavy Metal Armor – TailoringLight Metal Armor ForgingHeavy Metal Armor Forging – Jewelry Making – Extended Weight Carry
Doombunny (FS): Lvl 78 – One-Handed Dagger – First Aid – HideSearchListening – Battle Regeneration – Fighting Spirit – Familiar Communication (Colorra) – Drug Mixing – Reveal -- Fencing
Astro (PS): Lvl 75 – Two-Handed Spear - Purchase Negotiation – Armor Pierce – Acrobatics – First Aid – Light Metal Armor – Battle Regeneration – Weapon Defense – Parry – Extended Wight Carry
Kiefer: Lvl 73 – One-Handed Curved Blade – Parry – Weapon Defense – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Slash Weapon Forging – Katana – Martial Arts - Search - Armor Pierce
Lessa: Lvl 72 – One-Handed Sword – Shield – Light Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Equipment Repair – Metal Equipment Repairing – Armor Pierce – Search - Acrobatics
Joltron: Lvl 75 – One handed Axe – Heavy Shield – Heavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Metal Refining – Cooking – One Handed Weapon Creation – Two Handed Weapon Creation – Extended Weight Carry

Author's Note:

"Mini" chapter coming in a few days, titled: "Doombunny's Day."

PreviousChapters Next