• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 8,747 Views, 2,906 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Aincrad - Mindrop



The Girls get trapped in the newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life.

  • ...
27
 2,906
 8,747

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 92 - The Sun Sets on Bladescape

Floor 70
August 27 - Year 2

The raiders were spread out, desperately trying to push on with the original strategy, despite being unable to communicate even semi-effectively. Bladescape Kaisho watched from beside AFCK as she continued to play music on her fife. She would not be able to play for much longer.

Bladescape had to develop a new strategy that calculated in the deafening effect of their vocal spell. She could see how the Sister Witches - “Adagio” Dazzle, “Aria” Blaze, and “Sonata” Dusk - were reacting to assaults from the Wondercolts, Kirito and his team of two others, and Asuna with another player trying to press on.

That was all they had in fighting shape. The tank squads, shield squads, and damage squads were disorganized, and the players Kirito and Asuna had left behind were finding it very difficult to adjust.

Boss Battles had gotten loud, but they had never been hit with a deafening attack. Players struggled to stay upright as vertigo took over. Those that could stand, had problems walking. Kirito and his two, and Asuna and her partner were very strong players to stay steady and fight like they were. The three attack groups were the only reason that they were holding together at all. The ten of them were the one thing stopping the massacre of the raid party.

Klein hobbled up to Bladescape and AFCK. He was moving as fast as he could with his hearing loss, and his hands were up to attempt some form of rudimentary hand signals. Instead, he cocked his head and stuck a pinky in his ear.

"Hey, I can hear again!" He exclaimed. AFCK missed the note and he immediately cringed at hearing the grinding noise. Once his face was free from the dramatic pain, he turned to address Bladescape again and started to speak, before halting in apparent thought.

"Klein," Bladescape said calmly as she watched Thunderborne fly through the air in an attempt to land a blow on Sonata. She had been singled out as their first target. The attack failed. "Get your team here. I need them."

Klein sprinted off to his team, a shield squad. They were circled up defensively, laid out on the ground with their shields above them while they waited for new orders. Klein slapped each of them on the shoulder and they followed him as fast as they could. Their mutual support got one on his feet and steadily moving.

As soon as they had regained their hearing, Bladescape Kaisho explained the plan. She sent each of the six members to fetch a different group.

Outside Group A, Kirito's fragment, and Asuna's partner, they all regrouped and recovered their hearing. They gathered in tight so they could all hear Bladescape's new plan over AFCK’s fife. Most were outside of the protective zone her fife made.

"Collective independence is our goal!" Bladescape ordered. "Groups B, C, and E! Take your Shields and pair up! You guys are going to be our new Blockers! The rest of you, teams of three! Go in your teams, pay attention to how the others are moving, and let us corral the witches! Give them no room to move and score your hits!

“If you lose your hearing and can push on, do it! If not, retreat to AFCK and reclaim it! Blockers, your job is to rescue our deaf and stranded teams! Sprint out, get Shields on them, and get back as quickly as you can! If that means you crawl, crawl! But don't stop! If we press and press, we can take them down! We just can’t let up and give them any ability to maneuver around this chamber! We decide where they go!

“There might be three of them, but there are Fourty-Nine of us! We can keep up constant pressure and squeeze every drop of HP from them! Unless you have a direct question, go!"

It took a moment but they got their teams set, and with good levels of enthusiasm, they charged forward, confident in their new strategy.

It didn't last more than 15 seconds. With the teams pressing on them, it forced the Sister Witches to unleash their sonic attack. Half of the charging teams came to a stop as they lost their hearing, most of those who continued forward fell and slid as they lost their respective battles with vertigo.

Bladescape flinched with empathy as she mentally felt the pain of the charging forces, but she was proud of them. The Blockers, safe in AFCK’s sound shield, began doing their job, running out to help the fallen recover. Three teams were able to push forward. One was led by Agil, another by Godfree, and the third by Klein.

Group A rallied to AFCK and Bladescape. Kirito's and Asuna's teams were with them as well. Bladescape got them caught up and the teams prepared to move back out with the new orders.

"Wait!" Diemond yelled. "Where is Doombunny‽"

Bladescape's heart stopped. She was not in a party. She only saw her HP bar.

"She is still at nearly full health," Knightstar immediately said. "But I don't know what happened to her!"

Dynamm and his shield partner came hobbling up. They were supporting a very disoriented Doombunny. She slipped out of their arms and dropped to the ground, breathing heavily.

"Go!" Bladescape ordered them. "I have her!"

The four teams rushed off to do their jobs. Bladescape stooped down low and put her hand on Doombunny's shoulder. She was still panting, but her body relaxed a bit as she felt the gentle hand supporting her.

After a little bit longer, Doombunny looked up at Bladescape. Bladescape flashed a smile at her and helped her to her feet. On her feet, Doombunny immediately blushed and looked down, turning back to her meek, shy self. She was ashamed.

Bladescape pulled her into a tight hug. She resisted wincing as AFCK missed the next note. She let the note stop ringing in her ear before she spoke into Doombunny's.

"You are safe. I assume you freaked out and then ended up split apart. You then lost your hearing and couldn't get back?"

Doombunny just nodded into Bladescape's chest as the tears began to flow.

"Remember what the mirror showed you," Bladescape told her. "It put you here for a reason, and you got to hear it speak directly to you. No one else did. No one else is like you. Use the fury you used on the King Black Dragon, and do what you did with him, out think them. I know you can do this."

Doombunny silently nodded into Bladescape's chest in response. She pushed off of her chest after a few more seconds, and with wet cheeks glistening in the light, she stared Bladescape in her eyes. A smile crested her lips.

"I can do this!" Doombunny declared.

"Then do it!" Bladescape ordered, pointing to the fight. "Go be a Wondercolt and remind all of these players what that means! And show them how effective a knife can be in a boss battle! Show them the worth that we know you have! You are a member of the Assault Team for a reason! Prove it once again!"

Doombunny flipped out her regular dagger. "Until I feel more confident about it, I am not going to risk hitting one of our raiders with poison!"

"Good call," Bladescape nodded. "Now go!"

Another two Blocker Teams limped back to the safety of AFCK's music with parties in tow. Dynamm was leading one of the Blocker Teams.

"How many are open up front‽" Bladescape asked.

"A lot!" Dynamm replied. "They are fighting as hard as they can, but if a witch gets close, they come under attack!"

Bladescape responded by charging forward. She was going to help get those teams and get them back to recover. She found her first target. Blaze had a floored team in her sights. Only the shield of one of them was keeping them alive.

Bladescape roared as Harmonic Salvation glowed to life. She landed a basic, but powerful, cut across Blaze’s chest. It forced the Witch to float back in a leap. She launched two bolts of fire at Bladescape in retaliation. Bladescape twisted, using Weapon Defense to protect herself, deflecting the bolts with ease. Kirito's team charged Blaze, forcing her to address them instead.

Bladescape pulled up two of the raiders. The one with the shield was able to stand on his own. They helped the stumbling raiders back to AFCK and the team reset. Bladescape turned to the next group that needed rescuing.

It was a non-stop commitment and Bladescape lost her hearing multiple times. After a few stumbles, she kept her focus on the task and powered through the initial loss of balance.

Through it all, Bladescape could see where the battle was happening, how it was unfolding, and she could send the teams back out to influence the battle. Even if the team didn’t attack, they still were applying pressure and forcing the battle to go how Bladescape wanted it. The Sister Witches were reacting to her strategy, she wasn’t reacting to their attacks. Being in control of the battle was crucial to winning.

Dazzle hadn’t done anything but link her voice with her sisters'. Blaze had taken a few good hits, but it was Dusk who was hurting. Their targeted attacks had gotten her almost down to her final health bar.

Bladescape blocked another party from a bolt of water Dusk had thrown. She was knocked back, unsteady for a moment, as she deflected the heavy strike into the ceiling. She stayed up and planted her feet firmly on the ground.

Even with the new strategy, the battle was a logistical mess. A full raid party of 49 players was being kept back and fragmented by just three girls. They had handled bosses with full armies of minions easier than they were with them. They had also dealt with single bosses with more agility, power, and complex attacks more effectively. The three of them were just blasting away with fire and water attacks and unleashing deafening blasts of song.

Every time they got fully organized, the Sister Witches let out another bit of music spell. AFCK was trooping on, but her little fife just wasn't enough to protect them all. Bladescape wasn’t sure how much longer she could hold out. It was wearing on her, badly. She was making more and more mistakes as time took its toll.

Controlling the battle was important, and each team that didn’t land an attack still had an impact, but they took direct attacks for it. If a team was able to stand and fully commit, more often than not, Blaze burned them back with fire or Dusk forced them back with a torrent of water.

The standing of most players was in the yellow. They were downing potions at an alarming rate. It was often all a team could do if the vertigo was too much for them to press on.

The teams had changed up and shifted as needed. Some were in groups of four, others down to two members. If a party had a member who was dead weight when deafened, they had traded them into the groups that had become known as “Pushers,” or the ones who could direct and push how the Sister Witches moved by being a blocking force, but never able to go that extra distance to land a hit. A lot of those teams didn’t even draw their weapons as they charged forward, preferring to ensure they kept them instead of risking them being dropped during their “rescue.”

Throughout the chamber, there were teams who had been down and resting for a while, recuperating as the battle shifted to another part of the chamber. For the past two hours, it was mostly running around. Bladescape would check in with them after a bit to see how they were doing. None of them had given up, but the battle was taking its toll on all of the raiders. Rotating breaks in during the long floor boss battles happened.

And even with controlling the movements of the Sister Witches, they had taken very little damage since the battle started. The majority of the damage each girl had taken was from Wondercolts. Kirito was now solo, and most of his attacks were focused on Blaze to keep her occupied. Asuna was with Klein and Agil, and with the three of them together, one of them landed a hit about half the time they attacked. The other two ended up blocking retaliation attacks and trying to set up the witches for the next attack.

Bladescape was helping a disoriented group of three up and over to AFCK to get their hearing cleared when she saw a group of four make a move on Dusk from her blind side. It was Kirito, Agil, Asuna, and Klein. Asuna went in first and landed a quick set of four stabs. Klein, Fighting Spirit obviously flowing through his virtual body, was right behind her and his katana slashed across her chest with no mercy. Agil switched in but he never landed his hit.

Dusk was knocked down into her final health bar and it had enraged Blaze. She hit the four of them with a torrent of flames, letting her sister slip away from their grasp. They were left splayed out on the ground, cut off from the easy assistance of the raid party.

They needed to be rescued. The Sister Witches were right on top of them. She would need to coordinate Group A with two Blockers, preferably led by Dynamm who had proven to be the best. Bladescape was already planning how to get their attention and set up the rescue when things changed again.

Dazzle finally joined the fight. She stomped on the ground with all the power she had and pushed out with her arms, directing spikes of stone to leap out of the ground. No player standing was left untouched, and many on the ground took hits too. Her sister was in danger and she was not going to let her get hurt. It was the moment Bladescape had feared. Dazzle had avoided all attacks with ease and now that she was joining, it likely meant that they would have to reorganize and re-strategize again.

Bladescape got Harmonic Salvation between her and the obsidian shard. It wasn’t a block with Weapon Defense. The sword was rammed into her side and sent her spinning on her heels, but she stopped herself. It knocked plenty of HP off, but it was less than being stabbed would have been.

She stopped, her mind processed everything it had just seen. She was one of two left standing. Backbreaker was the other one, but she wasn’t standing on her own volition. She was pierced clean through her back by a shard and another through her chest. Backbreaker, and all of the Wondercolts, had gone from green, to grey. Their gauges above their bodies didn’t even show red because of Bladescape’s distance from her friends.

Backbreaker’s war hammer came clanging down on the stone floor. It had gotten thrown when she got hit. It slid towards Bladescape and stopped right in front of her feet. Everyone in the room was shocked to see the great Iron Bulwark pierced. No one knew what to do with the great cornerstone of every boss battle being brought down. It was completely quiet for a moment.

“NO ONE CAN STOP US!” Dazzle declared with a maniacal laugh. “You are a bunch of disorganized rats scurrying about. We haven't needed to unleash our full power yet! Is there not a single one of you who has the glitz and glam or shimmer and shine to take us on! The sun set upon your pathetic raid before it even began!”

The words sent a spark flying across Bladescape's brain. She glanced around the room without moving her head. Almost everyone had their HP gauges in the red. The immediate positive was the clear fact that no deaths had occurred.

Another positive was that, despite being all grey in her vision, each of the Wondercolts had just enough HP to be alive. Even Backbreaker was still holding together as she fought the spikes impaling her. It was a miracle they were alive. A miracle they, she, had to take advantage of.

Bladescape looked down at Backbreaker’s hammer and knew the answer the spark had ignited. She had been leading the recovery and reorganization of the players as they gained and lost their hearing. The hammer sliding to her feet triggered a single memory; she was standing on a hilltop overlooking the battle of the bands as the Rainbooms broke down against the Dazzlings’ power. The microphone had been dropped and it landed at her feet. Then she was told to join them. It was exactly what they needed to defeat the Dazzlings.

They had needed her to join them then, and they needed her now. Her friends might be down, but she was not. The Mirror had shown her an image of the past to show her the future: how to beat the Sister Witches.

Sunset Shimmer did not go down without a fight.

Bladescape drove Harmonic Salvation into the floor so it stood upright by itself. She reached up and knocked her cape off its mounts, letting it fall to the ground.

“Giving up!” Dusk taunted. “Abandoning the losers of the same symbol?”

Bladescape stared Dazzle down as she started lifting her chest plate off her body and over her head.

“You’re joking? Right?” Blaze snorted.

Bladescape set her chest plate down on the ground. She didn’t wear anything under because Ashley had designed it to feel like she was fully covered. And she was fully covered until she removed the pieces. None of that mattered.

“She isn’t under my spell,” Dusk stated, confused. “I’m not making her do it. Why is she doing that? What did either of you do?”

Bladescape continued to stare Dazzle down as she first pulled off one gauntlet and then the other. She purposefully threw them onto the ground with a loud slap.

“So you are literally going to throw down the gauntlet!” Dazzle laughed. “It won’t matter. It’s us, against one half naked girl with a sword.”

Bladescape swiped up her menu, not losing eye contact with Dazzle. She used it to ditch her plate legs and boots, and then pop on a gold and red dress that looked like the one she had worn for Camp Everfree’s ball. Along with it came black leggings and gold and orange boots. Rarity had made the ensemble for her several months prior, but she had never had the guts to put it on, even in the privacy of her room. The reason was because of the belt. It was beautiful, but it was loud and proud. The buckle was her cutie mark, the very symbol she had been avoiding to ensure her friends would be safe.

Except now her friends were down and out of the fight. There was nothing left to lose. She was a Wondercolt, The Wondercolt, but she couldn’t hold back anymore. She was Sunset Shimmer. The only way they had beaten the Dazzlings in the real world was when she had sung with them as a Rainboom. She had stupidly repeated the same mistake, leaving them to fight the battle while she stood by again; under the guise of leading the raid.

Bladescape took a deep breath in and put the belt around her waist. She cinched it down with a defiant tug, still not breaking eye contact with Dazzle.

“No, Dazzle, Adagio Dazzle,” Bladescape replied confidently. “I’m not joking. I’m a Wondercolt, loud and proud. But I have been denying my own shimmer and shine for the good of my friends, the good of the Assault Team, and the good of every player stuck here in Aincrad.”

Bladescape grabbed the handle of Harmonic Salvation and whipped its tip to point at the Sister Witches. “The sun doesn’t set until I decide it does. And I don’t lose. I don't need my armor to beat you, because you can’t beat me.”

Bladescape leaped forward with a yell. It was a long charge across the room. Dazzle, Dusk, and Blaze grinned as they let her come. They were not out of tricks.

“Rise puppets!” Dazzle ordered. “It is time for you to fight for us, not against us. After all, it is our spell you are under.”

Asuna, Agil, Klein, and Kirito glowed crimson as they were forced to stand up and then point their weapons at her. The witches’ ruby necklaces were glowing as they used the power put into them. Bladescape realized the fight had been generating the magic, just like how the Sirens used the discord their music caused to give them energy and control. And half of the players who had put a lot of the energy into those necklaces were now under their control. Bladescape didn’t hesitate as she continued her charge. She hadn’t fought the Sister Witches yet, meaning they had no control over her.

Asuna was the first to attack. Her rapier was glowing the same crimson as she pulled it back. Bladescape slipped her grip to the Greatsword position. When Asuna stabbed, Bladescape only had to do a simple wrist roll to deflect it and whip the blade to retaliate. Sunset twisted the blade at the last moment so the automatic followup strike hit Asuna in the head with the flat of the blade and didn't cut her. It was a lot of power in the blow to the head, knocking her to the side and out of the grasp of the spell of the Dazzlings. She hit the ground hard, but she still had plenty of red HP left.

“I CAN’T STOP!” Klein yelled in frustration and apology as he set his stance and leapt at her.

His sword’s steel flashed through the crimson glow and Bladescape rolled her blade to a horizontal position and blocked the slash. She turned her block into an attack as she rammed the pommel into his head. It was brutal, but as he dropped, the crimson glow faltered and the Sister Witches lost control of him as well.

Agil was already on top of her, binging his axe down overhead. Sunset shifted, letting it skim by her and bury itself in the floor. The witches had control of their bodies, but not their Sword Skills. The hook she threw was mentally painful to deliver to the friendly giant’s face, but it also knocked him out of the control of the spell.

Dazzle was sneering at Bladescape. Kirito was now the only thing between Sunset and the Sister Witches. He was fighting their control spell valiantly. He braced himself well and slipped his focus to her for a brief second. Their eyes met and she flashed him a quick smile. Kirito squeezed his eyes tight and then opened them. He put up one last fight to break free before he completely gave in.

Dazzle sent him at her like a plaything. Asuna, Agil, and Klein had failed, but she obviously had better control over Kirito. He had been the strongest out of the four of them. His black sword was faster than the others had been. Bladescape swung Harmonic Salvation, forcing the two blades to meet with in the air a heavy clang. Kirito swung again, and Sunset purposefully struck her blade with his. She made them collide a third, and then a fourth time.

On the fifth, she locked their blades together. At the same time she shifted forward so she forced his sword to rotate down into the ground. They were face to face, and his eyes were pained. He hated not having control. He hated swinging his sword at another player. But he was trusting her. Bladescape made good on the smile she had flashed him as she elbowed him in the face and forced him back, also tripping him over her foot.

As he fell the crimson glow was lost and Bladescape slipped his black sword from his grip. It was not something he had expected, but his last-second effort to keep it was denied by her swift fingers. The blade was a lot heavier than she had expected, but it didn’t weigh more than Harmonic Salvation.

Sunset began to advance, holding Harmonic Salvation up in her right hand, and Kirito’s sword in her left. “Game, set, match!” She declared.

“Oh please,” Dazzle said, annoyed. “Like we can’t beat you. Two swords against our magic?”

Blaze opened her left hand and a flame sprung up along with a sly grin on her face.

“Sure,” Sunset said, grinning back. “Think what you want.”

“MY TURN!” Thunderborne declared as she jumped up beside the Sister Witches.

Bladescape had kept fighting Kirito as her friends rallied. They had not had time to fully recover their health or physical strength, meaning each of them were going to give the last of their energy to end the fight. The Sister Witches had been focused on Bladescape, as planned. Rainbow Dash hit Dazzle with Quadruple Pain, scoring the first hit against her.

As they adjusted to the Wondercolts rushing them, Bladescape threw Kirito’s sword, sending it spinning to its target, Dusk’s chest. She screamed in terror as it found its mark and she found herself staring at it. It only lasted for a second before the last of her health was gone and she became polygons.

Diemond leaped past a collapsed Thunderborne, Radiant Beauty glowing green. It struck down onto Blaze’s head. The second strike came right back up, snapping her head back as it slammed into her chin. The third strike came down, hitting her in the shoulder. The fourth reversed the swing for another body blow. Rarity collapsed as she lost the last of her energy.

Doombunny switched in with Diemond, driving her Endbringer into the center of Blaze’s chest. From Fluttershy’s shoulders, Colorra struck, sinking her poisonous fangs into her neck.

The poison they both delivered worked fast against her HP. But Blaze's fist burned in fury as she swung to punch Fluttershy in what would be a killing blow. A throwing pick smacked into the side of her face, ending the attack. Sunset had grabbed three of them. The other two followed it and they ended her existence in Aincrad.

Applejack roared, fist glowing as she used Martial Arts to pummel Dazzle in absence of her warhammer. Twilight jumped past her, expertly switching in as Backbreaker stumbled and toppled. Knightstar ran Dazzle through with Justicarian Scale.

Dazzle never had the chance to strike Twilight as AFCK joined in, swinging Geode Splitter in a beautiful arc of a blue glow. It was a four-combo attack which did significant damage. Pinkie Pie had more energy than her friends did. She was able to let loose Rock Candy Smash, knocking Dazzle back.

She slid and rolled along the floor, away from the Wondercolts. She was on her feet in an instant. Even after the strikes, Dazzle still had two full health bars.

However, it was now Bladescape’s turn and she had called “game, set, match.” Sunset cut a deep slice diagonally across Dazzle’s chest, setting herself for the next Sword Skill. She connected two skills and brutally stabbed Dazzle through the chest. Her body hit the crossguard of Harmonic Salvation and then was pushed back by the force of the blow.

Dazzle stepped back, off the blade, allowing Bladescape to connect a third skill. It was a Greatsword Skill, but Sunset felt safe using it because they were far enough forward to prevent any wandering eyes to notice. The four-part skill left her in the perfect position to unleash the ultimate Two-handed Sword Skill: Volcanic Eruption. Bladescape almost didn’t get her hands to meet on the handle in time, but she did and the system set the skill in motion.

Sunset finished Volcanic Eruption with her sword pointed straight up. Adagio Dazzle was still alive, but she was stunned from the strikes. The other Wondercolts could only watch from where they had collapsed.

Bladescape’s compounded delay ended first. She stepped to the side, quickly scanning the room. Everyone was watching, just as spent as the Wondercolts were. She lowered Harmonic Salvation and prepared to deliver the final set of blows for all to see.

The corner of Adagio’s mouth twitched into a smirk and Sunset shifted to the defense.

"My turn!" Dazzle laughed as she brought her arm up, jettisoning a shard of obsidian out of the ground at Bladescape.

Bladescape smashed it with Harmonic Salvation, but Dazzle was far from done. She launched a follow up attack to Bladescape's rear while she ranted.

"I bet you are regretting removing your armor."

Sunset twisted around, smashing the upcoming spike with Harmonic Salvation.

"I was surprised by your attack for sure."

Sunset swung to her left, breaking another before it could pierce her.

"And your friends put a valiant, but futile, last effort."

From behind her came yet another spike.

Bladescape dealt with a flurry of multiple spikes coming up at her from all angles. She tackled them one by one in quick succession, letting herself react instead of think. Thinking would cause her to hesitate and it didn't matter if she had her armor on or not, one of these shards would easily wipe out the last of her HP.

But Sunset Shimmer didn't finally own her Cutie Mark just to die.

"I'll kill you and then I'll kill your friends. Then the puppets will die and after that, the rest won’t take any effort."

Bladescape shattered the next spike and slipped low, spinning to the side and out of the circle of death Dazzle had her in. In the spin, she made a cut at Dazzle's leg. Harmonic Salvation's tip nicked her calf, bringing Dazzle out of her rant and fully back to the fight. She tried to bring forth another spike, but Sunset was ready and targeted her hand as she conjured the shard.

Harmonic Salvation was hungry for vengeance and a stop to this madness. It sliced through the hand with ease. The shard lost most of its essence except its core, just a sliver, and it continued, piercing Sunset in the heart like a bullet. Adagio screamed in both pain and the horrific reality that she couldn't cast magic without her hand.

Bladescape used that distraction to step in close and grab her collar. "I just wanted to let you know my name before you die,” She growled. No one else could hear her. “It's Bladescape in here, but my real name is Sunset Shimmer. I meant what I said: the sun doesn't set unless I let it."

With another growl, Bladescape pushed her back to give them space. Harmonic Salvation glowed pure gold, a shade it had never glowed before, and the sword chose its path. The swipe was clean, but it was more powerful than the simple move had ever been.

Adagio Dazzle's head didn't even move. The cut was clean enough for it to stay in place. Her body cracked, a red glow emanating from the cracks that kept forming all around her body. She first shattered like glass and then floated away as polygons.

Bladescape didn't realize how much energy she had expended and how it was affecting her body. The shard of stone had done a number on the health she had left. She lost her grip on Harmonic Salvation and collapsed. She blacked out from exhaustion and pain.

When she came too, she was in her bed at their castle. The light coming in from the window meant that it was either early evening, or early morning. She glanced to the corner of her vision at her internal clock and saw it was still the same day.

Sunset shimmied up onto her elbows. Applejack snorted awake from the chair she was resting in. "Oh! Good, you’re awake."

"I guess I expended more energy than I thought I had," Bladescape stated. "I feel alright."

Backbreaker walked to her bedside, just to be there in case she was either not ready, or was still shaky. Bladescape was solid enough and they headed down the stairs at a safe pace.

In their sitting area were not just her guildmates who had been in the battle, but Asuna, Klein, Agil, and Kirito. She had interrupted their somber enjoyment of AFCK's goodies.

"You're alive!" AFCK exclaimed, jumping out of her seat with an enthusiasm only Pinkie Pie had. Bladescape didn't have the energy to explain the fact that she had to be alive since she had only fainted.

"We were so worried when you didn't wake up after a few seconds,” Asuna explained with an unusually soft tone for her. Not being in charge of an army softened her up. “Our concern grew after a few minutes. We decided to teleport you here to recover, leaving Godfree in charge and to open the teleport gate on the Seventy-First Floor."

"And the others?" Sunset asked. "Did we lose any?"

"Not a soul," Klein answered. "A miracle for how disorganized we were."

"Speaking of disorganized," Agil started. "You guys fought like you knew exactly what was going to happen."

Sunset groaned as she gently sat down in the soft chair. "Well, for one, we kind of did."

"What do you mean?" Asuna asked.

Bladescape had to be careful. They would not be as understanding as the original Wondercolts had been about their background. And they had waited a long time to tell them about their magical adventures.

Bladescape played it slow, flipping it into a question. "Well, you know how SAO does pull from different lore, sagas, and folktales? We knew the story of their group of Sirens. We didn't realize that the witches were them until we got into the boss chamber and Doombunny’s reveal skill gave their full names, Adagio Dazzle, Sonata Dusk, and Aria Blaze.

“We couldn’t do much. We were still playing catch up as the battle unfolded. I realized the power of sound was needed to combat the deafening attacks with no time to spare. We were lucky AFCK has Musical Instrument as a skill. We didn't expect other elemental attacks though."

"That bash on the head hurt!" Klein exclaimed, accepting her explanation.

Bladescape chuckled. "Yeah, but it was fun. I finally got the opportunity to hit you for some of the dumb things you have said to me. And it barely dented what HP you had left. If I had actually used a Sword Skill, it would have killed you."

"I'm just glad that they didn't use our Sword Skills," Agil added.

"Me too," Sunset said with a warm smile. "And honestly, I had no foreknowledge or even a hint that they could control you with some spell. I should have, since the Mirror told us that the more we fought, the more we would lose. I hope that, aside from Klein, my strikes didn't hurt too bad."

"I've taken a punch to the face before," Agil shrugged. "And worse ones than that. What matters is that it worked."

"I guess I should accept it," Asuna said, sighing as she did accept it.

"I know I hit you hardest," Sunset said. "Your rapier is too fast. I didn't know what skills you could activate. I felt bad, but I am glad I didn't actually have to turn my sword’s edge on any of my fellow players, controlled or not. We have done that enough."

Asuna let her breath out and sank further into the couch cushion. "I know. I've seen you fight in every boss battle. It hurt, both physically and my pride, but I know you had no choice. You did things right. And you beat them and that is what matters. I may be Second-in-Command of the Knights of the Bloodoath, but you are certainly Kaisho of the Wondercolts.

"Still, what was your reason for removing your armor?"

"Yeah," Klein said. "I didn't get that either."

Sunset looked down, trying to figure out how to respond. She realized that she was still wearing the dress and the belt was still around her waist. She unbuckled it and held it up for them all to see.

"This sun symbol is very special to me," She explained. "It is, in perhaps a weird way, who I am, and my soul. I put it aside once this turned into a death game. We knew before the game started that we were going to form a guild of friends, the Wondercolts. It's our high school mascot.

"And when this turned into a death game, it became a rally point for us. We were bound not just by friendship, but by a symbol that already meant a lot to us. Blue and yellow was what mattered. And with new friends joining us, Astro, and then a month later Kiefer, Lessa, and Joltron came on board, it really mattered that we had something to hold to.

"I set aside myself to make sure we stayed together. I chose to become the epitome of a Wondercolt for them, and then it became for the Assault Team as we were relied upon by the other players. I've been called 'The Wondercolt' before, which was the idea I was going for.

"But a few things were triggered by how they fought and what they said. Specifically when they declared the sun had set on our raid. My first name, I.R.L., is Sunset."

"That explains a few things you exchanged with them," Agil said with a laugh.

"So you put on the sun to be yourself?" Klein asked.

"More like I put it back on so that I could fully unleash who I am,” Bladescape explained. “As much as I am a Wondercolt, I wasn't myself. And as Wondercolts, the players have an expectation for how we act. I fought as myself, for myself, and that meant I would handle it in my own way. Does that make sense?"

"Not exactly," Klein admitted. "But maybe it is because we have hung out outside of battle quite a bit."

"Maybe," Bladescape shrugged. "What matters is that it gave me the strength to beat them."

"And for that we are grateful," Agil said. "And now that you are up and safe, we should get out of your way."

"Nonsense," Diemond said. "AFCK and the others have dinner almost finished. Stay and join us. You earned a Wondercolt meal."

"I can keep the shop closed for a Wondercolt meal," Agil grinned. "I would be stupid to decline such fine food."

"That is a decent part of the reason I came," Klein admitted. "I care about you, Blade, but I knew AFCK would have a bountiful feast of at least sweets available for us. I mean, it's not like any of you guys would let me stay by her side in her room, especially alone. So, since I would just be waiting around for news, I decided why not get something out of it?"

"And that is why I enjoyed ramming my pommel into your face," Bladescape snickered. "I had wiped the scoreboard clean of all the stupid things you have said, but now you are back on the board."

Kirito and Agil laughed at Klein as they stood up to follow them to the dining room. Asuna also decided to accept the dinner invitation.

"Kirito," Bladescape said, not getting up quite yet. "A moment, please?"

Kirito nodded and sat down on the couch cushion closest to her chair.

"Thank you for trusting me," Bladescape said. "I didn't want to tarnish your reputation in front of the others. I get why you can be the way you are. It is part of the reason why I have rallied myself behind our symbol.

"Your trust in me was very appreciated. You fought well, both in the fight and against their magic. I know you landed a lot of hits on Aria Blaze because you risked staying deaf. I wish I could reward you more than my sincerest appreciation."

"Well," Kirito said, blushing as he nervously scratched the back of his neck. "Honestly, a good home cooked meal like you guys can make is a great start.”

Sunset smiled, then laughed, unable to keep it contained inside her. "I should have guessed you would be another ravenously hungry boy. And that is a good thing. I think we forget to tell AFCK 'thanks' enough. She enjoys watching other people, players, enjoying her food. And I know you will enjoy it."

"I enjoyed the apology meal for Floor Sixty-Six," Kirito said as he stood up. "And we know I love her cupcakes."

"I forgot about that," Bladescape admitted. "I guess I still need to clear my head a bit. Also, your secret is safe, but, let me show you something that you don't know about that adventure."

Kirito offered her his hand to ensure she was able to stand. Bladescape was still weak. She would take the next day or two off.

Bladescape led Kirito to the guild hall. Mounted above their Dais was the Draconic Visages of the King Black Dragon and Elvarg the Mother of all Aincrad’s Dragons. Bladescape always sat under them in the center of the Council.

"When we killed the King Black Dragon, your sword broke at the last moment, and I ended up killing him. We immediately were focused on our survival, getting healed, and back to safety. For the Last Attack Bonus, he dropped a rapier called Dragon's Tooth. I gave it to Thunderborne. She needed an upgrade anyway. However, unlike most Bosses or Flag Mobs, he dropped a second bonus item, the Draconic Visage.

"Essentially, it is a dragon head you can mount for decoration. There are 5 great dragons in Aincrad. Five Draconic Visages to be claimed. The first available was the King Black Dragon, and second happened to be the green dragon, Elvarg the Mother of all Aincrad’s Dragons. I know the other three."

"Will any be Floor Bosses?" Kirito asked.

"I believe Yamata no Orochi will be," Bladescape said with a nod.

“Certainly,” Kirito agreed.

Bladescape continued. "I wanted to let you know that, for one, I didn't get anything actually useful to either of us. Even though the kill was mine fair and square, it still sucks because you had it until your sword broke. I was just happy to be done with the fight entirely. I let you go for the kill, but I couldn’t let us die when your sword broke.”

“You did what was right,” Kirito stated.

Bladescape nodded. "That being said, I will be hunting every dragon Flag Mob that is unlocked, and I would be honored if you were by my side, helping me collect the other three."

"I'm glad you had a use for it," Kirito said with a soft smile. "I certainly don't. And I would be honored to join your party of dragon hunters. The King Black Dragon’s Bonus drop may have been useless to all three of us, but I got the hides I needed. The raw Col earned, massive amount of equipment, and the huge chunk of XP I received was worth the battle."

Bladescape let out a laugh. "I certainly can't argue with that. Elvarg was another adventure entirely, but likewise she dropped Floor Boss levels of XP, Col, and a ton of lower level equipment and items like a true dragon's hoard.

They walked to the dining room to join the others, but they were diverted to the small formal dining hall. All of the Wondercolts' Councilors were there, as well as the members of the Boss Raid Party. Everyone else was at the normal tables. It was nice to treat their guests in a more private and comfortable setting. And it was also a private comfort for Sunset to know that their food was the same as the rest of the guild's.

They sent their guests away, stuffed to the brim with exceptional food. AFCK was not just thrilled to have guests, but their destruction of her food because of how delicious it was lifted her spirits tenfold. It also put them on very good terms with Asuna, an alliance that would most likely prove to be crucial.


Asuna teleported to Granzam. She walked through the metal city to the Knights of the Bloodoath Headquarters. She entered and headed to the guild hall. The chambers were empty. The Council had gone home for the night. Asuna's home was in Selmburg, but The Commander stayed in the Master Bedroom in the Guild Headquarters. Many of the other members also stayed in the other rooms the Headquarters came standard with. Commander Heathcliff preferred her to have her own place, away from the guild, where she could relax and unwind. It was the same for several other high-ranking members and the other counselors. They paid for her to have her own home.

Asuna headed to the Commander's room and knocked on the door. After a minute it was opened by an elegantly robed Commander Heathcliff. Like his armor, the kimono was crimson and trimmed in white.

"Ah, Asuna, what brings you here at this hour."

Asuna bowed. "I hope it is not too late."

"Nonsense," Heathcliff said with a warm smile. "Just because we are done with the bulk of the guild's business, does not mean that it has to be over. Please, come in. It is nicer inside here than in the hall."

Asuna had never been in the Commander’s room before. It was more than just a room and unlike the rest of the steel city, it was warm and cozy. They were in a large office of sorts with his own desk and seating area. The bed was in another room. They sat down in comfortable chairs.

“Godfree came and gave the report on the battle,” Commander Heathcliff said. “But I assume you have more on your mind.”

“The battle was a mess,” Asuna stated. “But Bladescape Kaisho earned her title, and she was the right one to lead. She had an understanding of the Sister Witches, because she knew the obscure lore it was pulled from. I have never seen someone so determined to protect everyone in a battle. She not only protected, but led, knowing where to send the recovered units. It was impressive that she could see it through all of the chaos.

“But that wasn’t why I came. I know Godfree gave a thorough report. I wanted to tell you that after a few hours of being unconscious, she came too. She was weak, but she was able to be up and carefully move around. I stayed for dinner with them."

"Wonderful!" Commander Heathcliff said with a grin. "I am glad to hear she is up and feeling well. I also am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself over dinner. I envy your chance to once again enjoy their cuisine. I think that your dinner with them puts us in a mutually beneficial position as two of the top guilds."

“I certainly want to have good relations with the Wondercolts,” Asuna stated with a nod. She didn’t need to point out their strained relationship with the Divine Dragon Alliance.

“You did well,” Heathcliff said. “I am impressed and proud of what you have done. Since the start, but especially as my Second-in-Command. Having you and Godfree in the fight gave me plenty of relief. I did enjoy the day off, but I could only because I have such amazing officers. Godfree’s notes on your work in the battle was very enlightening. You played the critical role that I have come to expect from not just you, but every member of the guild and the guild itself. Our image was upheld very well, and having a sister guild could prove to be a major advantage as we move up above Floor Seventy-Five.”

“I will leave you to your free evening,” Asuna said, standing up and bowing.

“You are welcome any time,” Heathcliff said standing up as well. “Tomorrow is a new day, and a new floor, so get your rest.”

“I will, I promise,” Asuna replied with a smile.

Bladescape (SS): Lvl 97 – Two-Handed SwordSearchWeapon DefenseLeather Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Sprint – Acrobatics – Blade Throwing – Extended Weight Carry - Greatsword - Rend
Thunderborne (RBD): Lvl 87 – RapierSprintAcrobaticsArmor Pierce – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Leather Armor – Weapon Defense – Extended Weight Carry – Search - Martial Arts
Backbreaker (AJ): Lvl 91 – Heavy ShieldOne-Handed War HammerExtended Weight CarryHeavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Fishing – Search – Martial Arts – Acrobatics - Sprint - Rend
AFCK(PP): Lvl 85 – Two-Handed AxeParryCookingWeapon DefenseMartial Arts – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Thrown Weapon – Musical Instrument - Rend
Diemond (R): Lvl 85 – Heavy Shield – Mace – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Heavy Metal Armor – TailoringLight Metal Armor ForgingHeavy Metal Armor Forging – Jewelry Making – Extended Weight Carry - Rend
Doombunny (FS): Lvl 92 – One-Handed Dagger – First Aid – HideSearchListening – Battle Regeneration – Fighting Spirit – Familiar Communication (Colorra) – Drug Mixing – Reveal -- Fencing - Sprint - Armor Pierce
Astro (PS): Lvl 87 – Two-Handed Spear - Purchase Negotiation – Armor Pierce – Acrobatics – First Aid – Light Metal Armor – Battle Regeneration – Weapon Defense – Parry – Extended Wight Carry - Search
Kiefer: Lvl 86 – One-Handed Curved Blade – Parry – Weapon Defense – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Slash Weapon Forging – Katana – Martial Arts - Search - Armor Pierce - Sprint
Lessa: Lvl 84 – One-Handed Sword – Shield – Light Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Equipment Repair – Metal Equipment Repairing – Armor Pierce – Search - Acrobatics - Wood Carving
Joltron: Lvl 86 – One handed Axe – Heavy Shield – Heavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Metal Refining – Cooking – One Handed Weapon Creation – Two Handed Weapon Creation – Extended Weight Carry - Acrobatics
Knightstar (TS): Lvl 81 – One-Handed SwordShieldEquipment AppraisalParry – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Search – Armor Pierce - Purchase Negotiation - Sale Negotiation

PreviousChapters Next