• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 8,739 Views, 2,906 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Aincrad - Mindrop



The Girls get trapped in the newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life.

  • ...
27
 2,906
 8,739

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 98 - The Skull Reaper

Author's Note:

This chapter is heavy with scenes and dialog taken directly from the Light Novel, including the language. Reki Kawahara detailed this boss battle out quite well. While the language is not overtly explicit, there are a few words that I have intentionally kept out of the writing except for once or twice.

You also will want to see the stats going into the monumental battle. Not just the Wondercolts, but also for Agil, Klein, Asuna, and Kirito.

November 7 - Year 2

Bladescape (SS): Lvl 102 – Two-Handed SwordSearchWeapon DefenseLeather ArmorFirst AidBattle Regeneration – Sprint – Acrobatics – Blade Throwing – Extended Weight Carry - Greatsword - Rend - Reveal
Backbreaker (AJ): Lvl 96 – Heavy ShieldOne-Handed War HammerExtended Weight CarryHeavy Metal ArmorFirst Aid – Battle Regeneration – Fishing – Search – Martial Arts – Acrobatics - Sprint - Rend
AFCK(PP): Lvl 90 – Two-Handed AxeParryCookingWeapon DefenseMartial ArtsFirst Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal ArmorBlade ThrowingMusical Instrument - Rend - Search
Diemond (R): Lvl 90 – Heavy ShieldMace First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Heavy Metal ArmorTailoringLight Metal Armor ForgingHeavy Metal Armor ForgingJewelry Making – Extended Weight Carry - Rend - Search
Astro (PS): Lvl 94 – Two-Handed Spear - Purchase NegotiationArmor PierceAcrobaticsFirst AidLight Metal Armor – Battle Regeneration – Weapon Defense – Parry – Extended Wight Carry - Search - Martial Arts
Joltron: Lvl 90 – One handed AxeHeavy ShieldHeavy Metal ArmorFirst Aid – Battle Regeneration – Metal Refining – Cooking – One Handed Weapon Creation – Two Handed Weapon Creation – Extended Weight Carry - Acrobatics - Rend
Kirito: Lvl 96 - One Handed Sword - Dual Blades - Martial Arts - Blade Throwing - Parry - Battle Regeneration - Search - Hide - Sprint - Extended Weight Carry - First Aid - Fishing
Asuna: Lvl 94 - Rapier - Two Handed Spear - Light Metal Armor - Heavy Metal Armor - Parry - Battle Regeneration - First Aid - Acrobatics - Sprint - Cooking - Sewing
Klein: Lvl 88 - One Handed Curved Blade - Katana - Light Metal Armor - Shield - Battle Regeneration - First Aid - Search - Listen - Extended Weight Carry - Fighting Spirit - Sewing
Agil: Lvl 83 - Two-Handed Axe - Martial Arts - Parry - Leather Equipment - Equipment Appraisal - Tools Appraisal - Purchase Negotiation - Sales Negotiation - Extended Weight Carry - Cooking

A full party of Wondercolts. Bladescape had promised a full party of Wondercolts to head into the unforgiving death chamber of the Floor 75 Boss. They had no idea who the boss was, only that the ten scouts who entered the chamber were gone. The doors would close behind the raid party and teleport crystals would not work. It was a one-way trip to get to Floor 76.

Bladescape had chosen Backbreaker, Diemond, Joltron, Astro, and AFCK to be the Wondercolts squad. They would have plenty of defense and heavy hitting power, while still being as adaptive as possible. The only downside was the risk. If they didn’t make it, the Wondercolt Council as they knew it would be destroyed. They had a backup plan for the Wondercolts, but universally speaking, it wasn’t going to be good for clearing the game if this raid failed.

They were waiting in Collinia, the main city on Floor 75. Most of the raiders were milling around, waiting for one o’clock to come. Even Agil had joined them, since they needed more raiders, shutting down his shop. The drop list would make him very happy if he survived.

Klein and Fuurinkazan were also in attendance, and along with Agil, they had gone over to talk to Kirito and Asuna, who had just arrived. Both of them had silver bands on their left hands, Bladescape noted. Wedding bands. They must have come from their honeymoon to deal with this boss because things looks so bleak.

Things were tense. A crowd was gathering to see the raiders before they went off. The stakes had never been as high as they were now, and yet, all they had was thirty-ish players. They didn’t even bother to organize into formal groups because they had no strategy until they knew who, or what, the boss was. The players were all on the top of the curve when it came to levels, but it was still only about two thirds the number for a typical raid. They all knew this one would be significantly tougher than anything else they had faced. It was understandable that many in the Assault Team were afraid to come. Bladescape was too afraid to bring more than six Wondercolts.

The teleport plaza glowed and out came Commander Heathcliff, right on time. Heathcliff was in his crimson armor, flowing white cape His combined crucifix shield and longsword, Liberator, was out and ready, but with the sword still sheathed on the shield's back. With him was his personal paladins who fought by his side. Several other KOB soldiers were with them as well. Asuna saluted them.

Heathcliff looked around at all of the raiders and gave them all a nod. “It seems we’re all here. Thank you for coming. I believe you are all aware of the stakes. It will be a terrible battle, but I believe in your ability to emerge victorious. For the day of liberation!”

Everyone yelled, joining in with his enthusiasm.

Heathcliff turned to Kirito. “I need your help today, Kirito. Put your Dual Blades to the test.” The words were like cold steel, full of confidence. Kirito nodded back and Heathcliff turned back to them all. “Let’s get going. I’m opening a corridor to the spot right in front of the enemy’s lair.”

Heathcliff pulled out the other half of the corridor crystal Astro had set up the day before and raised it high. “Corridor open.” The crystal shattered and a blue light flickered ahead of him. “Follow me, everyone,” Heathcliff said. With a whirl of his cape, he went through the corridor first.

Bladescape and her party followed last after making sure there were no stragglers among the other raiders. The obsidian corridor was cold. The sharpness of the angles and shine reminded Bladescape of Joltron's obsidian shield. It was not a fun place to be, but it had been cleared surprisingly quickly and with no reported casualties.

Everyone was double checking their equipment. Bladescape had transferred her crystal pouch to contain only hearing crystals, except for a backup anti-poison and a teleport crystal, a contingency plan if either was necessary or could work. Her drug pouch had plenty of anti-poison and anti-paralysis potions in it, in case the boss could deliver either.

The scraping of Heathcliff's armor drew Bladescape's attention. "Is everyone ready? We have no information about this boss' attack patterns. The Knights of the Bloodoath will take forward positions to absorb its attacks. Observe its attack patterns as best as you can and strike back, being as flexible as you can manage."

All he got back was a bunch of silent nods.

"Well, best of luck," Heathcliff murmured before he strode to the obsidian door and put his hand on it.

Many of the players became tense.

Kirito patted Klein and Agil on the shoulder. "Don't die on me."

"Just worry about yourself," Klein retorted.

"I'm not getting knocked out while there are spoils to be had," Agil declared.

The doors groaned open and players drew their weapons. Heathcliff freed his longsword from its mount on the back of his shield and raised it high. He shouted, "Let the battle begin!"

He charged into the boss chamber and the rest of the raiders yelled their own war cries as they followed him. Bladescape kept her Wondercolts together in the stamped into the boss chamber.

The black walls rose up to a very high ceiling. Everyone lined up naturally into a solid battle formation. They had done this enough times to know how to enter a boss chamber to reduce the variety of risks bosses posed. Only when they were all inside did the doors begin to rumble, sealing them all inside. They were trapped inside, with the only way out being through the boss. The stakes had never, ever, been so high.

For a long moment, nothing happened. Bladescape held her breath and then let it out slowly, forcing herself to relax as they waited for the boss to appear. It had never taken this long.

“Hey,” someone yelled, trying to end the silence.

“Above!” Asuna cried out, drawing their attention to the ceiling.

Bladescape gulped as she saw the boss, hanging from the ceiling. It was a centipede of bone, easily one-hundred meters long. Its body was one giant spine, dozens of spindly, bony legs running down its length, each tipped with a sharpened rib. Above them sat a dozen articulating bone arms, the same as the legs but too short to reach the floor, and above those sat giant rib cage. Attached to its shoulders were two twisting, stumpy arms comprised only of the bones of a giant human's forearm, with bone-scythe blades in place of hands. Most disturbing, however was the skull, which sat with only a single vertebra separating it from the horror's shoulders. It was a twisted mockery of a human's, with an elongated cranium crowned with six stubby horns, and two sets of slanted eye sockets backlit by eerie red flames. Instead of one solid lower jaw, it had four, two to either side and detached in the middle so they could move independently like a snake's. The inside of each was completely covered with sharp fangs.

It was the “Skull Reaper.” Five massive health bars slid to full strength.

The boss released its grip on the ceiling, dropping straight down on the party.

“Don’t freeze up!” Heathcliff ordered. “Keep your distance!”

Bladescape ran with the other Wondercolts right behind her. They got clear of the dropping horror. As she turned to make sure she was ready for a defense, she saw three players had frozen too long. They lost their balance as the centipede slammed into the ground beside them. One of its scythe arms swung, slicing through them.

They were tossed into the air. The next thing Bladescape saw was the shattering of polygons as that horrible sound of death echoed through the chamber. One hit had taken them out.

Statistically speaking, at their levels, they all would have high enough health stats to handle at least one hit. With every level gained, more HP was given to the player. It was a constant in the game. Even average skilled players would have normally stood a chance in the boss fights.

Bladescape set her hands on Harmonic Salvation's pommel in the position for Greatsword. With several players already down from just a single hit, they each had to give it all they had. Kirito would with his Dual Blades, and so would Heathcliff with his Unique Skill, Holy Sword. Astro might use Infinite Spear, depending on if it was leveled up to make a difference. Bladescape couldn't afford to withhold Greatsword. She needed the extra power, no matter the consequences of its discovery.

The skeleton centipede raised off the ground and let out a twisted screeching roar that echoed off the walls. It charged into a group of players, its next victims. This battle could be over it a matter of minutes, with each of them dead.

The scythe swung but Heathcliff slipped in between it and the player. He was cool under the immense pressure the Skull Reaper was putting on his shield. The left arm swung around towards other players while Heathcliff held off the right. The Wondercolts were too far away for Bladescape to do anything.

Kirito got there barely in time to save the other players, crossing his swords to block the attack. But it wasn’t enough. He was going down under the sheer weight and strength of the scythe and it was cutting into his shoulder. Right before he was finished, Asuna slid up and struck with her rapier, adding it to the defense.

“We can manage if we take it at the same time!” Asuna declared to everyone. “We can do this together!”

Bladescape organized the Wondercolts into a new formation with the tanks out front, but close enough to support each other. They would need a fluid but stalwart formation to win this.

In the time it took them to reorganize Kirito blocked a retaliatory attack sent at him and Asuna and ordered, “We’ll stop its scythe! You attack it from the flanks!”

That was all the raiders needed to close the distance and unleash their own assault on the body of the monstrosity. They all kept it simple, to reduce delays. A long delay here would be a death sentence.

Before they could reach it, the Skull Reaper shifted and began to bypass Heathcliff, Kirito, and Asuna forcing them to pull back a bit. The three of them would do what they could, but the others were going to have to put on their own defenses at times.

Klein and Agil ended up with the Wondercolts as they reached the main damaging force. Klein had run the opposite way as his guild did when the Skull Reaper dropped from the ceiling. He was separated from them for the time being.

The other guild leader turned to Bladescape and shot her his usual, goofy grin. "You know, Kirito's going to fight like crazy with a pretty babe to protect."

"Good for him," Bladescape playfully shot back. "Maybe one day a pretty Swordswoman will find you tolerable enough to do the same for you!"

"Hey!" Klein exclaimed while Agil laughed beside him.

The Skull Reaper turned, coming towards them. They were the next target and it was time to test their defenses.

"Alright," Bladescape growled. "Tanks, give us the best you got!" Bladescape pointed Harmonic Salvation towards the bone beast.

The bone scythes slashed towards Bladescape. She stood firm. At the last moment, Backbreaker stepped out from behind to protect her Kaisho. She practically threw the Iron Bulwark between them and death. The shield sparked as the scythe slid along it, harmlessly out of the way. The other scythe came, trying to flank them in its sweep. Joltron and Diemond stepped forward together, and combined their crystal shields into a solid wall that stopped the scythe cold.

Astro rammed Dragon's Tale home over Joltron. AFCK bounced out from behind Diemond and hacked at the bones with Goede Splitter. Bladescape, Klein, and Agil jumped out from around Backbreaker and delivered their own hits. No one used anything fancy or high level.

In the flash of the last attack hitting, the Skill Reaper was gone, off swinging its scythe at another group. The momentary blocks by the Wondercolts allowed for Heathcliff, Kirito, and Asuna to get situated for their next set of defenses.

"We have to stay mobile and keep our strike group in front of it as much as possible!" Astro said. "Our tanks are strong enough, so let’s be the second blockers. Heathcliff, Kirito, and Asuna need support for that!”

No words were needed as they moved out, trying to slide themselves into a position to be targeted next or get in front of the next target. Sometimes it worked, other times, they were ignored. The algorithms running the Skull Reaper were complex, shifting and changing with an irregularity that would make finding a pattern a nearly impossible task. Especially with the surveyor's life on the line.

The Wondercolts became less maneuverable as the battle shifted. They had amassed ten others, several who knew how to use a shield, and when the scythes came, they had enough to block, unleash mid-level Sword Skills, and then the second set of shields could block them while the damage dealers took the delay.

It sped up the removal of the Boss' HP, but it was all chip-damage, slowly shaving off little bits until there was nothing left. There was no hacking off large chunks of HP from the Skull Reaper.

Half an hour passed with decent progress. Forty-five minutes had them in a winning position. An hour brought the end of the fight. No Wondercolts fell. Agile still lived. Fuurinkazan had made it through another boss battle, and Kirito and Asuna were alive as well. Of course, Heathcliff, their great and powerful leader, was also still standing.

It left them all on the obsidian floor, trying to recover. Bladescape wasn’t ready for it to be over. The congratulations fanfare had played, their drop lists had popped up, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that it wasn’t over. She was too tired to look at the drop list and the menu above it. In the fury of all the surviving raiders attacking the boss, she had lucked out to get the Last Attack Bonus.

Klein wasn't far away, on his stomach. Agil was on his back, spread eagle. Backbreaker had removed her shield so she could lay flat on her back. AFCK was on her side, gripping Geode Splitter and rocking a bit. Even she was out of energy. Astro, Joltron, and Diemond were in similar shape, but Bladescape couldn’t see them from where she was sprawled out.

Klein’s hoarse voice broke the silence. “How many did we lose?”

It was Kirito who responded, after pulling up his menu to look at the map. He had to count how many of them were left, and subtract it from the number that went in. “Fourteen are dead.”

Fourteen. Bladescape’s heart stopped from the horror those words brought. It was a worse dread than the Skull Reaper had been. Fourteen of Aincrad’s best were dead. That blow to the Assault Team was going to be felt for the rest of the Floors. It was just under half the number of raiders for this boss. There was a chance the Assault Team would never be able to recover the statistical impact of losing those players. Floor 75 might have become the end of their time conquering Aincrad.

“You can’t be serious,” Agil said, stalling out as he recognized the darkness that surrounded them.

Klein rolled over and looked at Bladescape. It was dreary and monotone, and he kept his voice low. “Hey, mind if we grab a bite to eat after this and talk about guild business? And another thing I noticed today about you?”

“Your treat?” Bladescape groaned, all from the mental stress of the fight.

“Yeah,” Klein plainly said.

Someone got up and then there was a thud that pulled Klein’s and Bladescape’s attention over to where Heathcliff was standing, and where Kirito was in position to run him through. But he wasn’t able to. A purple marker had popped up that was stopping his Sword Skill from finishing the piercing attack.

IMMORTAL OBJECT

Bladescape was confused. No human player was an immortal object. That was impossible.

“Kirito, what in the-?” Asuna said as she ran towards him, slowly stopping.

The system message blinked out, leaving Kirito standing in front of Heathcliff. Everyone had seen the label though. Kirito distanced himself from Heathcliff. Heathcliff was showing no emotion.

Asuna spoke again. “He is designated a system-level immortal object? Wh.. what does this mean, Commander?”

Heathcliff just looked at Kirito. Kirito spoke as he lowered his swords slightly. “This is the truth behind the legend. The system is designed to prevent his HP from ever falling into the yellow zone. The only things that can be labeled immortal objects are the environment, NPCs, and system managers, not players. But there aren’t any more GMs in the game - except for one.”

Bladescape’s hand silently found Harmonic Salvation. She was unsure what was happening, but she felt like having Harmonic Salvation ready was the smartest play.

Kirito continued to explain everything. “There’s something that has stuck in the back of my mind ever since I came here. I figured he had to be watching us from somewhere, managing and fine-tuning the world. But I forgot a basic psychological fact, something that even a kid knows.

“There’s nothing more boring than watching someone else play an RPG. Isn’t that right, Akihiko Kayaba?”

Bladescape lost her grip on Harmonic Salvation in quiet shock. The silent room gave her a moment to think. She remembered the Floor 70 boss fight, or rather, the mirror that told them who should go and who shouldn’t. The Commander had been told he would die if he went. If he had entered that fight, his immunity would have been exposed. It was why he bowed out and passed leadership onto her.

“Commander…” Asuna said, her words a dry and barely above whisper. “Is this… true…?”

Heathcliff only tilted his head for a moment before he finally spoke. It was to Kirito. “Will you at least tell me how you figured it out?”

“I first noticed something was off during our duel. You moved way too fast in that final moment.”

“I should have known. That was a painful failure for me. I was so overwhelmed by your attack, I had no choice but to use the system’s assistance.” He slowly nodded, finally showing some emotion. The corner of his mouth twisted up, a wry grimace. “My plan was to not reveal myself until the Ninety-Fifth Floor had been reached. But alas…”

Heathcliff broke his concentration from Kirito and looked out over them all. “Yes, I am Akihiko Kayaba,” He declared. “And I am this game’s final boss, the one who should have awaited you on the top floor.”

Bladescape couldn’t help but roll her eyes at how cliche it was.

Kirito agreed. “I don’t think much of your taste. The greatest player in the game turns heel and becomes the final boss?”

“But it is a compelling scenario, is it not?” Heathcliff asked in his usual, calm tone. “We had fun, but I wasn’t expecting to be exposed just three quarters of the way through. I had you pegged as the biggest wild-card element in the game, but even my estimates were off.”

Bladescape gripped Harmonic Salvation once again. A firm battle grip. This was the man who had imprisoned 10,000 people. He was the reason they just lost fourteen players today, and ten the day before. He was the reason they had a shrine back in their headquarters, for the members of Geigi Clan who had perished trying to free the regular players. The kids, Gin, Kain, Mina, Sasha, and the others, they were trapped because of him. He was immortal, but if anyone could break that status, Bladescape could. She had to believe the Equestrian Magic in her geode would break through, but she had to be tactical about it.

Kayaba continued. “I’d always expected that you would be the one to confront me in the end. Out of the ten Unique Skills in the game, Dual Wielding is the one given to the player with the quickest response time. That player should have been the one to stand before the final villain, whether triumphant or beaten. But you exhibited power beyond my expectations. Both in speed of your attacks and the sharpness of your observations. But...I suppose having one’s expectations betrayed is one of the best features of an online RPG.”

“You...you bastard…” a KOB soldier said as he stood up. “We actually swore our loyalty to you. We put our hopes in you! And you betrayed us…” He lifted his halberd. “You evil, twisted-!”

He screamed, charging at Kayaba in his anger. He took a huge swing. Kayaba was faster than his swing, opening a menu with his left hand and in an instant, the KOB soldier froze in midair. He clattered to the floor as the paralysis symbol joined his HP bar.

He wasn’t the only one. Bladescape felt a paralysis take effect on her. She seized up a bit, but didn’t lose her grip on Harmonic Salvation. She couldn’t see Klein or anyone else, with how she was now laying, only Heathcliff, Kirito, and Asuna.

Kirito had bent down to pick up Asuna who was also paralyzed. The only two free were Kirito and Kayaba.

Kirito turned back to Kayaba. “What are you doing? Killing everyone here to cover up your evil deeds?”

“Hardly. I would not be so cruel,” Kayaba said, shaking his head. “But I am left with no other choice. I must accelerate my plans and await your visit to the Ruby Palace on the top floor. I have been building the KOB to handle the powerful foes of the ninetieth floor and above. It is not my first choice to abandon you partway like this, but I think you’ve shown that you have the strength to make it on your own. However, before then…”

It became a contest of willpower between the two swordsmen.

Bladescape continued to fight against the paralysis effect. There was some maneuverability available and she was making good work of it while Kayaba was focused on Kirito. Her hand finally got to her drug pouch. She felt out one of the anti-paralysis vials with the tip of her fingers. This was another moment where using different vials for each drug was a lifesaver. Bladescape began to inch it up towards her mouth.

Kayaba continued. “I believe you deserve a reward for exposing my true identity, Kirito. I will grant you the opportunity to fight me in a one-on-one duel, right here and now. No immortality, of course. If you beat me, the game will be over, and all the players will be able to log out from this world. What do you choose?”

Asuna immediately protested. “You can’t, Kirito! He’s trying to get rid of you… We should pull back and think this through…”

Bladescape got the vial into her lips and used her teeth to open it and sucked out the mixture. Kirito wasn’t the kind of player to pass up on a duel like this, not when it meant freeing everyone. And neither was Bladescape. If the opportunity presented itself, Bladescape was going to make sure this ended here.

Still, the best choice was to fall back. The Wondercolts could pick up the slack and take the lead on clearing the Floors. The Knights of the Bloodoath were destroyed from this turn of events. There were KOB members that Bladescape would present with an offer to join the blue and yellow Wondercolts.

“You sick bastard,” Kirito muttered. “Alright, let’s settle this.”

“Kirito!” Asuna screamed.

“I’m sorry. But this has to be it. There’s no turning back now…”

“You aren’t going...to die, are you...?”

“Nope… I’m going to win. I’m going to win and I’m going to bring an end to this world.”

“Alright. I believe you,” Asuna said.

Kirito put down Asuna, and Bladescape began to slowly inch her way into a better position to assist him. She couldn’t let Kayaba realize she was free of his little trick.

“Kirito, don’t do this!” Klein protested.

“Kirito!” Agil shouted.

Kirito looked at them. He spoke to Agil first. “Thanks for all your support of the swordsmen in the game, Agil. I know what you’ve done. You’ve spent nearly all of your earnings helping to outfit players in the mid-level zones.”

Bladescape had suspected Agil had been shifting all he could to help the mid-level players, but he was smart about it. He was known as one of the best merchants in the game, and drove hard bargains when he needed to.

Kirito’s voice trembled a bit. “Klein...remember when we first met? I’m sorry for what I did...leaving you behind like that. I always regretted it.”

Those were clearly the words of a man expecting to die.

“D...don’t you dare apologize to me!” Klein yelled back, losing tears. “Now is not the time! You’re not going to do this! I’m not going to forgive you until I’ve at least had the chance to buy you a dinner back in the real world!!”

Kirito silenced him with a nod. “All right, it’s a deal. We’ll meet up on the outside.” Kirito flashed him a thumbs up.

He looked back at Kayaba, who was “kind” enough to let this all happen. He didn’t even blink over any of the conversations.

“I have just one request,” Kirito said.

“And that is?” Kayaba asked.

“I don’t intend to go down easily, but if I do die, ensure that Asuna can’t commit suicide right away.”

Kayaba raised an eyebrow in surprise but nodded assent. “Very well. I’ll see to it that she cannot leave Selmburg.”

“Kirito, you can’t! No...you can’t do this!!” Asuna protested, as she began to panic.

Bladescape’s heart stopped for Asuna. That was a horrible request. Suicide was bad, unethical to many people because it was a life lost, but so was forcing Asuna to not even have an option to live her life as she saw fit. If this ended that badly, the Wondercolts were going to mobilize to assist Asuna in whatever way they could. She was right near their headquarters and the swordswoman would be without any way to be what she had worked so hard to become.

Kayaba hit a few more commands on his GM menu. Kirito’s Health bar slid down into the red, and Kayaba’s matched it. One hit would mean death. A purple bar popped up next to Kayaba: CHANGED INTO MORTAL OBJECT. He was now just as vulnerable as any other player.

Bladescape stopped moving and adjusted to get a throwing pick. That would be her first move if Kirito failed.

Kirito and Kayaba faced off. Kayab was Heathcliff’s usual expression, unreadable. It was also difficult to figure out what had to be going on in Kirito’s mind.

“...to kill you!!” Kirito spat as he finally charged.

But he didn’t trigger any Sword Skills. He was going to beat him with skill alone. After all, Kayaba had designed the Sword Skills. He had to know all of them by heart, even Bladescape's Greatsword.

It was a duel of the ages, much better than when she had seen Kirito lose to Kayaba a few weeks prior. Kirito was relentless and fast. Kayaba was cold and calm, striking when Kirito was open. As it continued, the feeling that Kayaba was toying with Kirito began to rise in Bladescape’s stomach. Each time he blocked Kirito’s sword, he was that much closer to being able to run him through. It was a stalwart defense that Kirito couldn’t breach or flank.

Kayaba grinned as Kirito fell into his trap by triggering a Sword Skill. There was no breaking free from the combination attack once it was started. Kayaba took each strike expertly on his shield. Even without the system assisting him, Kayaba was an expert player with plenty of skill.

There was a screech above all the clashing metal and flying sparks. The sparks were joined by polygons as one of Kirito’s swords shattered. Kayaba lifted his longsword high, overhead.

“Farewell, Kirito,” Kayaba said.

Kayaba himself had just said the fun of online RPGs was how unpredictable they were. Just as the longsword was on its mission to kill Kirito, Asuna slid in between them and took the slash. She had broken free of his paralysis and sacrificed herself.

The look on Kirito’s face, he was ready to die. He didn’t have to deal with any consequences once he was dead. He was not equipped to deal with the death of his wife.

“That was a surprise,” Kayaba stated. “Almost like a story event in a single player RPG, isn’t it? She shouldn’t have been able to recover from that paralysis...as I said, quite unexpected.”

Kirito was lifeless. He finally bent down and picked up Asuna’s rapier, and made a halfhearted swing with the light sword at Kayaba. He made a swipe with Elucidator, but Kayaba easily batted it away and then ran Kirito through.

Bladescape faltered. She should have bolted forward, but after watching Kirito and Asuna go down, she needed to think things through. With Heathcliff betraying them all, they needed someone to step forward and lead. It had to be her, there was no one else in a position to take over, but she wanted to end it right there, not after another twenty-five floors and even more time spent in Aincrad.

Kirito’s health was gone, but he was still there, with the sword in his chest. His body was beginning to fade, but it wasn’t shattered. Kayaba faltered, shocked at this unexpected turn. This was a true testament of Kirito’s willpower. He wasn’t going to go down, somehow. He was fighting the system itself, and imposing his will on its programming.

Kirito screamed, a mix of pain, agony, and rage. Asuna’s rapier’s tip flipped up and Kirito ran Kayaba through. They were standing there, with their swords in each other’s chests. They both shattered into polygons, together.

Bladescape looked over at Klein. Everyone was free of the paralysis now that Kayaba was gone. There was both shock and panic on Klein's face at the scene they had just witnessed.


All across the floating castle known as Aincrad, all of the skies grew red as it was filled with warning octagons, just like they had turned during the tutorial two years prior. The sound of the game system rang out loud over every Floor all throughout Aincrad.

THE GAME HAS BEEN CLEARED.

THE GAME HAS BEEN CLEARED.

THE GAME HAS BEEN CLEARED.

Thunderborne (RBD): Lvl 91 – RapierSprintAcrobaticsArmor Pierce – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Leather Armor – Weapon Defense – Extended Weight Carry – Search - Martial Arts - Blade Throwing
Doombunny (FS): Lvl 98 – One-Handed Dagger – First Aid – HideSearchListening – Battle Regeneration – Fighting Spirit – Familiar Communication (Colorra) – Drug Mixing – Reveal -- Fencing - Sprint - Armor Pierce
Kiefer: Lvl 92 – One-Handed Curved Blade – Parry – Weapon Defense – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Slash Weapon Forging – Katana – Martial Arts - Search - Armor Pierce - Sprint - Blade Throwing
Lessa: Lvl 89 – One-Handed Sword – Shield – Light Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Equipment Repair – Metal Equipment Repairing – Armor Pierce – Search - Acrobatics - Wood Carving
Knightstar (TS): Lvl 85 – One-Handed SwordShieldEquipment AppraisalParry – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Search – Armor Pierce - Purchase Negotiation - Sale Negotiation

PreviousChapters Next