• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 8,747 Views, 2,906 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Aincrad - Mindrop



The Girls get trapped in the newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life.

  • ...
27
 2,906
 8,747

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 26 - Harmonic Salvation

Floor 49

March 9 – Year 2

Bladescape waited outside of the door of Lisbeth’s Smith Shop. She was waiting for the shop to open, and she had been waiting for two hours. She wasn’t mad, frustrated, or angry. She was a bit bored, but she had chosen to come early and wait. She wasn’t the only one milling around for the store to open. That was why Bladescape was right by the door and had gotten there early. She was not going to be denied today. Lisbeth was in good demand and had turned her away for the past two days because she was booked solid for the day.

A few days ago, Bladescape had paid Argo for the name and location of the best player Blacksmith. She needed her sword upgraded, and as good as the others were, she was guessing she needed a master smith. They couldn’t make a sword to match hers yet. She had stupidly expected to get in and see her on the first day, when the Wondercolts had a personal day where they were free to do what they wanted to do. But Lisbeth was in high demand. She had just moved up to Lindarth on the 49th Floor and into a real store. No more roadside cart for her.

The door was opened by the NPC assistant and Bladescape slipped inside first, heading straight to Lisbeth behind the counter. It was easy to tell it was her because she was in stiff leather clothes that “protected” her while smithing. It was just like the other Wondercolts wore when they crafted metal.

“Someone is on a mission,” Lisbeth teased.

“Floor 57 is fast approaching,” Bladescape said, cutting to the chase. “I need to enhance my sword before we make the boss raid. I have heard you are the best in the business.”

“Well you heard right,” Lisbeth smiled. “But your uniform says you're a Wondercolt. Don't you have your own smiths.”

“Yeah, but I hear you are better,” Bladescape said, nervously tapping on the counter. “No one knows I'm here. I just want some upgrades done.”

“Alright. I certainly won’t turn you away for that. Show me the sword.”

Bladescape opened her menu and the sword popped into her hands. She set it neatly on the counter. Lisbeth tapped it, reading the information.

“This is your sword?”

“Yeah,” Bladescape nodded. “Why?”

“Well, it's just that, from what I hear about the Wondercolts, it’s that you are on the Assault Team. And this is an underwhelming sword for being a front-line fighter.”

Bladescape sighed. “Will enhancements help?”

“Not really. I could max this out, but it's not going to get you far. You should have ditched this sword Floors ago. Before Floor 50.”

“Well,” Bladescape said, tapping on the counter as she thought. “We did get it when the front line was Floor 39. So I guess, is there anything on your shelves that would be better?”

“I don’t have any two-handed swords right now.”

Bladescape sighed. Knightstar was going to have to redo some calculations.

“I don’t want to take up your valuable time. So, what is it going to cost me for getting the best two-handed sword you can make?”

"That depends on material, style, and a variety of other factors. Making the sword isn't hard. It's the materials that will cost you."

"I just want a two-handed long sword," Bladescape groaned. "I don't know anything else. I don't keep track of weapon stats."

"Let's take it slow then," Lisbeth smiled. "Are you a strength-based fighter, or speed based."

"My agility is gaining, but I'm strength based. I prefer to hit hard. If I have a choice between two swords that are almost the same, I pick Attack Stat over Critical Stat."

"That's helpful," Lisbeth smiled. "Tell me how this feels."

Lisbeth handed Bladescape a one-handed long sword.

"It's light," Bladescape said. "Way too light."

"That sword has better stats than your sword. It's also considered a heavy blade."

Bladescape groaned in frustration and defeat. "I don't know anything about weapons, except looks. And mostly, the look has been abandoned outside of two-handed straight swords."

"I have an idea or two," Lisbeth said. "But it will take me a few days to get the materials."

"Okay," Bladescape nodded. "Anything I can do to speed that up? You have a good amount of customers here."

"Yeah, I'll need 10 bars of Ebon. Ebon is a high durability heavy metal and it's not cheap. It's also rare. I was hoping Floor 50 would give us more of it, but it hasn’t. Which is why I don't have any."

"I'll hunt some down," Bladescape said. "Any suggestions?"

"I'd go to Ronbaru on Floor 27. It's still the main location for selling metals of all types. It’s where I go to get my metal. It will cost more for bars rather than ore, but I can't refine it properly yet."

Bladescape swiped up her menu. "Here is a retainer. I'll get you that metal."

"I don't take retainers," Lisbeth said as Bladescape walked away, leaving her with the sack of money. Lisbeth groaned and took it to the back where she could safely store it, instead of losing it in her inventory storage, which would mix the money in with hers.

Outside, Bladescape messaged Knightstar. I just visited a Smith on the 49th floor, Lisbeth. She is better than our friends. It turns out, my sword is on the low end for clearing. I'm going to buy the metal she needs to make me a proper sword. I don't want to discourage them, but it looks like they are further behind than we thought.

Before Bladescape got to the teleport square, she got a message back.

Thanks. Good luck. I'll investigate into weapons further.

Bladescape teleported to Ronbaru and began to hunt Ebon bars down, shop by shop. Most didn't have any of what she needed. Bar by bar, Bladescape purchased the materials. The price varied wildly. Sometimes she got a good price, other times she was certain she was robbed, but Bladescape had a pile of cash she wasn't doing anything with. A good sword was her only real lifeline on the battlefield outside of her friends, so she put up with the price gouging.

It took Bladescape all day and required her to hop to multiple floors to track down the final bar. The last place had three, two more than she needed. Bladescape purchased all of them and walked out. The extras might come in handy.

Bladescape got back to headquarters and just wanted to go to her room and sleep. But Knightstar wanted to talk. And the questions just kept coming.

"Look," Bladescape snapped. "Just come with me tomorrow and ask a few questions. Maybe buy yourself a new sword. She had plenty of one-handed blades already made. I don't even know exactly what I am getting. We talked stats and play styles, so I'm trusting her."

"Alright," Knightstar said, dropping it. "Sorry I pushed."

Bladescape sighed. "I'm sorry too. It took me all day to hunt down this metal and it left me more frazzled than I thought I was.”

"I'll see you bright and early," Knightstar said, giving Bladescape a reassuring smile.

The next morning the wait wasn't as boring. At least Bladescape wasn't alone. Kiefer and Backbreaker were leading the others in two parties, doing some work for Argo.

"You're back quick," Lisbeth said as they came in. "I expected it to take at least three days to buy the bars."

"I know I overpaid for half of them," Bladescape said. "But I didn't care."

"I probably should have told you a ceiling price," Lisbeth admitted.

"Also, this is Knightstar, our statistician and one of the guild leaders. She keeps track of our equipment for us, to make sure we stay in the top tier as much as possible."

"Glad to meet you," Lisbeth smiled. "I assume you want me to look at your sword as well?"

"Please," Knightstar smiled. "Our guildmates maxed it yesterday on enhancements."

Lisbeth looked at the sword. "Yeah, I have better. But you don't seem to be close to her level. That complicates things."

"I just hit level 68," Knightstar said. "But I am sure she has edged me out quite a bit more than I last knew. All of the guild probably by quite a bit."

Lisbeth retrieved a few swords and had Knightstar try them out. They soon settled on one. Its name was Justicarian Scale and it was thinner than what Knightstar had been using with a short, square crossguard. It wasn't much wider than Thunderborne's rapier, and it was shorter than what she had been using by a good six inches.

Its base properties were well above what Knightstar thought was currently possible. She would be reviewing the rest of the guild's equipment soon, including what Diemond could do with other materials. Armor was just as important as weapons.

“Alright,” Lisbeth said. “Bars?”

Bladescape produced all of the bars, stacking them neatly.

“Not bad,” Lisbeth said. “They look good. I’ll be back, shortly. Two-Handed, strength based long sword to crush your enemies. Long reach too.”

“That sounds right,” Bladescape said.

“It better,” Lisbeth laughed. “That's the base description of your current sword.”

Knightstar and Bladescape laughed as well and Lisbeth headed into the back. After some banging and noise she came back out. They had seen Kiefer, Lessa, Joltron, and Diemond work with metal. Like every normal life skill, it happened in seconds or minutes, rather than the hours it usually took.

Lisbeth came out with a slate grey sword wrapped in a leather sheath that matched the Wondercolts' blue color. The grip was wrapped in gold leather and the guard was set with a yellow gemstone while the pommel was a large blue one. Its profile was slightly longer and wider than Bladescape’s previous sword.

“Meet Harmonic Salvation,” Lisbeth announced.

Bladescape drew it and she knew a wicked grin was splitting her lips apart. “This feels right. This is a sword. I already know this was worth every piece of Col. The name is appropriate. I haven’t even cared about the names of my swords in a long time. None of them were notable outside of Iron Splitter, my first two-handed blade. How much else do I owe you?”

“Um, well, you got the materials, so the cost is going to be a lot lower.”

Bladescape was ready to test this blade. She wanted to charge out and run to the nearest enemy to try it. But first, payment. “Will the retainer I gave you and the extra two bars cover the cost?”

“Huh?”

Bladescape made sure to smile as she repeated the question at an appropriate speed. “Will the retainer I gave you yesterday and the two extra Ebon bars be enough to cover the cost of Harmonic Salvation?”

“Yeah,” Lisbeth stuttered. “Actually, I would owe you.”

“Keep it,” Bladescape said, walked out as she equipped Harmonic Salvation. “This was more than worth it to me.”

Knightstar shrugged and followed Bladescape out. “Do I want to know how much you put down as a retainer?”

“Probably not,” Bladescape said, taking long strides to get to the teleport plaza without running. “It was only a retainer though.”

“Where are we heading?” Knightstar asked, as she struggled to keep up.

“Let's hit 46 and see if we can get into rotation at the Ant Hill.”

“Alright,” Knightstar said as they got into the teleport ring. “But is it safe, without the others?”

Floor 46 came into view and they began the hike out.

“It is still busy,” Bladescape said. “With plenty of top players. It’s safe.”

It was busy. They had an hour and a half wait before they could get into a canyon.

With Knightstar with her, Bladescape could take the extra risk to unleash a stronger Sword Skill. The blade glowed a faint blue. The delay from the strike wasn’t long, but the blade's stats showed as it finished the ant in a single swing. It was more power than she ever had before. Even in the real world, or as a unicorn, she hadn’t experienced more power under her own control. She didn’t count the incident with the crown when she turned into a demon because she had lost control of herself.

This was the tipping point in the game. She hadn't expected this to happen. Each level she had gotten stronger, become faster, had new things at her fingertips. But this was a moment she had never expected to happen. She eclipsed the power she had I.R.L., which meant the possibilities had just truly become unlimited.

Bladescape looked at Harmonic Salvation. She let Knightstar solo the ants for a moment while she examined the blade more closely. Outside of the hilt, it was unremarkable. Lisbeth had done a good job with her intuition to match the colors, but there wasn’t anything special about its appearance.

But what wasn’t unremarkable was the name. Lisbeth wasn’t the one naming the sword. The system named it. It had come up with some remarkable names. Bladescape wasn’t convinced the system freely named the blade something so powerful. Sometimes, it seemed that the weapons her guildmates made had names influenced by their emotion as they forged the weapon.

It was a powerful name for her. She knew the stories from Equestria, about the Elements of Harmony. She had stolen the Element of Magic. Bladescape had only ever talked to Knightstar about Equestrian Magic being in the game, but they hadn’t seen any possible influence of Equestrian Magic in either of themselves.

By now, they both agreed that somehow, magic was slipping into the coding to assist them: Strengthening AJ, making Dash faster and more agile, Pinkie Sense was obvious, Fluttershy's connection with Colorra was the same, and Rarity’s insanely quick maxing out of the crafting skills was also beyond the normal. Neither of them had noticed any perks for themselves though, and both of them had dived with their geode necklaces on.

Knightstar took a heavy blow on her shield, pushing her back unsteadily. Bladescape never called “switch” as she slipped past her and easily shattered the ant. Knightstar took a few steps back to recover in relative safety.

“I like this new sword,” Knightstar finally declared. “It was well worth the cost. The name reminds me of Lady Justice and the scale and blade she carries. I was very afraid I was overpaying, but now I know that wasn't true. We are going to need to make an aggressive upgrade. Especially Backbreaker, Joltron, Diemond, and Astro. Thunderborne should be fine for a while still and AFCK just got Geode Splitter. The rest can be updated in another wave. Funds are too low for the guild to help right now.”

“We will see,” Bladescape said, easily dispatching another ant. “It will happen as soon as we can do it. For now, we've been handling things fine. Let’s finish this time block and hook up with the others. I’ve still got cash. I need to be ready to make enhancements on this blade, but I'll see what I can do.”

“Don’t overstretch your personal funds,” Knightstar warned. “You already admitted to overspending on the blade, even as good as it is. I'm not saying you actually did overspend, because value to you is important and something I factor in. But you did just spend a lot. So, let's take it slow and keep you well supplied. We need you at the top. The best. And I know the materials for your armor upgrades are either going to cost a lot, or be a hard thing to get a hold of and force you to go on long hunts to secure them.

“I've never said it before, but I have believed from early on that you are the only reason we will survive. You're keeping us together. That's obvious. If you die, we won’t last on the front lines. Not together. BB probably would join the KOB, Astro and Thunder might as well. But the rest, we would hide out and craft. I’m sure AFCK would open a restaurant that would bring in players from all Floors. Diemond would begin to be a rival for Ashley. And I would just end up selling guides, but money isn’t everything.”

Bladescape chuckled as Knightstar switched in. “The only reason she isn’t rivaling Ashley is because she's on the front line with us and she exclusively does tailoring for us.”

Bladescape switched in and Knightstar replied. “We need to get you new armor, made from better material. I don’t care if you look different. I don’t even care if we have to pay someone else. I actually want you to look the best out of all of us. Still flying our colors, but unique isn’t bad. I want you looking like our version of Commander Heathcliff. It is obvious he's in the KOB, but it’s also obvious that he is very special in the organization.”

“I won’t be in metal plate armor,” Bladescape chuckled. “But sure. You get to convince her though, not me.”

“Fine,” Knightstar chuckled. “But our hour is up. Let’s go join up with the others.”

Bladescape (SS): Lvl 78 – Two-Handed SwordSearchWeapon DefenseLeather Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Sprint – Acrobatics – Blade Throwing – Extended Weight Carry
Knightstar (TS): Lvl 68 – One-Handed SwordShieldEquipment AppraisalParry – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Search – Armor Pierce
Thunderborne (RBD): Lvl 71 – RapierSprintAcrobaticsArmor Pierce – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Leather Armor – Weapon Defense – Extended Weight Carry – Search
Backbreaker (AJ): Lvl 74 – Heavy ShieldOne-Handed War HammerExtended Weight CarryHeavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Fishing – Search – Martial Arts – Acrobatics
AFCK (PP): Lvl 71 – Two-Handed AxeParryCookingWeapon DefenseMartial Arts – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Thrown Weapon – Musical Instrument
Diemond (R): Lvl 71 – Heavy Shield – Mace – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Heavy Metal Armor – TailoringLight Metal Armor ForgingHeavy Metal Armor Forging – Jewelry Making – Extended Weight Carry
Doombunny (FS): Lvl 68 – One-Handed Dagger – First Aid – HideSearchListening – Battle Regeneration – Fighting Spirit – Familiar Communication (Colorra) – Drug Mixing – Reveal
Astro (PS): Lvl 71 – Two-Handed Spear - Purchase Negotiation – Armor Pierce – Acrobatics – First Aid – Light Metal Armor – Battle Regeneration – Weapon Defense – Parry – Extended Wight Carry
Kiefer: Lvl 68 – One-Handed Curved Blade – Parry – Weapon Defense – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Slash Weapon Forging – Katana – Martial Arts
Lessa: Lvl 68 – One-Handed Sword – Shield – Light Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Equipment Repair – Metal Equipment Repairing – Armor Pierce – Search
Joltron: Lvl 72 – One handed Axe – Heavy Shield – Heavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Metal Refining – Blunt Weapon Forging – One Handed Weapon Creation – Two Handed Weapon Creation – Extended Weight Carry

PreviousChapters Next