• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 8,739 Views, 2,906 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Aincrad - Mindrop



The Girls get trapped in the newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life.

  • ...
27
 2,906
 8,739

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 23 - Duel

Floor 52

January 28 – Year 2

They exited the Floor 52 Floor Boss meeting as a guild. It had gone smoothly and their levels had progressed nicely since they beat Floor 50. Before Bladescape knew what was happening, Doombunny yelled out over the general conversation.

"YAMATA! WHY DON'T YOU SAY THAT TO MY FACE!"

Doombunny stormed forward into the opening that had been naturally created by the flow of traffic upon hearing angry yelling. Yamata was with his pals and guild on the other side. Doombunny was mad, but collected and firm in her voice. She wasn't backing down.

"What?" He asked.

"I said why don't you say that stuff to my face! The stuff about me being a, well the B-word, and a viper who is always sneaking around and conniving. That's only a little bit of what you said before the meeting started and as we were walking out of here.

"And your attempts to spy on me all month haven’t gone unnoticed by me either. I'm not a fool. I'm not blind. I'm even probably smarter than you. And I am sick of your snide comments and rude remarks. I heard every one you made as you so cleverly spied on me and my friends.

"I," Yamata stuttered. "Not only can you Hide in plain sight, you also have Listen as a skill!"

"So?" Doombunny asked. "I assigned it because I like to just sit and listen. Listen to the birds, listen to the trees, listen to the wind, listen to the water, listen to all the different animals. And if you sat and listened you would hear a lot of beautiful things. Aincrad isn't a silent world. They put a lot of time and effort into the smaller details like sound that enhances the experience and makes this feel almost exactly like real life. It just also happened to give me the ability to hear rude players like you speak when they should be holding their tongues."

"Well, so what? Are you just going to say that and slither away, viper chick?"

The crowd, full of the top players in the game, was making a clear circle. Everyone in the boss meeting was present and watching.

"How rude!" Doombunny declared. "My name is Doombunny. And you should only address me as such."

"Right," Yamata snorted. "And what are you seriously going to do about it?"

Bladescape missed grabbing Backbreaker's arm and stopping her. "I'll beat that respect into you."

"Yeah, you could," Yamata scoffed. "But that would only prove the Iron Bulwark can beat me to a pulp. I'm not even going to pretend to think I could beat you. And trying to defend her honor doesn't actually prove that she hasn't done anything. She can hide, she can listen, she can slither and sneak away and easily sell her poisonous wares."

"I keep tight control over everything I make!" Doombunny declared. "That includes antipoison potions and remedied. I have never sold or given away a single one. All substances are controlled by me. The few vials carried for hunting by my guildmates are kept under tight watch. None of us are dumb enough to let these fall into the wrong hands. We knew that from the start. I insisted on it from the start!

"Actually, I will make one modification to my statement. One non guild member has, on a single occasion, used one of my poisons. Klein, right there of Fuurinkazan Guild; he applied it during the Floor 39 Boss Fight because Serigatal The Wolf Master was weak to poison. But that early version didn't last long on the blade. It certainly isn't on there now. And I watched him apply it."

Klein wanted to stay out of it, but he manned up and stepped forward. "That battle, it was a known factor. Fuurinkazan and the Wondercolts can attest to me using it all. I don’t have it, I didn’t sell it, chuck it, or give it away. And I definitely don't believe she would ever intentionally hurt anyone. Or even let something slip. She would blame herself. I saw her in the fight. I heard her in that fight. She cried.

"She is a key member of the Wondercolts and this Assault Team. You should apologize right now for slandering her without any proof."

"I'm still not convinced," Yamata snorted. "But seriously, what can you do to prove it?"

Bladescape never expected to hear Doombunny say what she said.

"How about I show you how I beat Serigatal The Wolf Master! A taste of how I struck him down for torturing those wolves he set on us! Their harm demanded justice so I stopped him from hurting any more wolves! And your slanderous actions against me deserve justice as well!"

A duel challenge popped up in front of Yamata.

"I'll prove to you I can fight straight and that I don't slink around. And I'll do it without Colorra! Just me and you."

"This request is for Half Loss Mode!" Yamata declared, startled.

"Afraid?" Doombunny taunted. "A First Strike Duel only proves who can get the first strike in, not who is the better fighter. There will still be plenty of time for you to heal up after I beat you and before it's time for the boss raid to assemble. Besides, it's not like I can kill you. It's only Half Loss Mode."

"Fine!" Yamata said, hitting accept and drawing his curved sword. "I'll put you in your place, Viper Chick."

The preparation timer was ticking down before the start. Doombunny set Colorra down and told her to watch over the dagger she put in front of the viper.

"There," Doombunny said walking back into the middle to face Yamata. "My familiar won't get involved and my hunting knife won't accidentally be drawn."

"Hunting knife?" Yamata asked as he adjusted his grip on his sword.

"Mhm. The one I have specifically poisoned to quickly dispatch monsters if they swarm us. Better safe than sorry. Besides, I always carry plenty of anti-poison and green crystals for a reason. I’m not a stupid B-word like you said."

Doombunny dropped low as the seconds disappeared. She reached behind her back to the knife mounted above the empty sheath on her lower back, her non-poisoned knife.

As the buzzer sounded, Yamata charged, sword glowing. Doombunny hesitated and then struck when the timing was right. She went very low, activating Constriction.

Constriction was a Sword Skill that the Beast Tamer’s Charm gave Doombunny. The charms were from the LAB against Serigatal The Wolf Master. It accessed Colorra's skills and attacks, making them user friendly for her master. It was a fury of multiple strikes, starting low and working around and up, like a snake squeezing the life out of its food. It used both slashes and stabs, but was mostly slashes.

The skill launched Doombunny under Yamata's attack and just above the ground. Her blade was glowing like a rainbow, shifting colors and mimicking Colorra's rainbow Shimmer in the light. The first strike was a stab into Yamata's foot, like a snake’s bite. As she slid to a stop, she got in multiple slashes from all angles, including reaching around front. She came around to his left as the height of her attacks was slowly raised.

Typically, the number of combination strikes in a Sword Skill rose higher with speed based weapons, like a rapier or dagger, than they did with heavier hitting weapons. It helped balance things so weapons were more equal along the same line. However, the skills unlocked through the charms and Colorra were not restricted in the same way to the combination hit limits and delay timing that normal attacks were. Her slices easily hit two dozen, and that was not counting the stabs she kept making.

It all happened in a quick instant and Yamata was unable to stop it as his delay from his failed Sword Skill froze him. Doombunny's second to last strike ended with her in front of him, dagger up and still glowing, ready to drive the last strike home into his face. His body was covered in lingering red slash marks and hers was glowing yellow, indicating that Fighting Spirit was active, and by the amount she was glowing, she was very angry.

Doombunny made a declaration as his health slipped down, trying to catch up to the speed of her attack. "Just because I don't look like a warrior and have chosen skills not typically chosen by a front line fighter doesn't mean you can disrespect me! I am a member of the Assault Team and on the front lines for a reason."

His health hit halfway and the duel was given to Doombunny. The only fanfare was her winner logo. Every other player didn’t know what to do. Many of them were visibly disturbed. The duel system canceled Doombunny’s final strike and she stepped to the side. Yamata’s health was still slipping down. He staggered and fell face forward to the ground. Doombunny reached into one of her small punches on the front of her waist and pulled a vial out.

"Don’t worry,” She coldly said with her sweet and cute voice. “I’m sure it’s a horrible feeling to watch your health continue to slip away after the duel is over, but you can’t die. Even if you feel that fear, you can’t die. Your health bar is still catching up to the hits it registered during the legal duel. As to the paralysis, this will end it without waiting the long time for it to wear off or wasting an antidote crystal."

None of his friends, or anyone, had approached. Doombunny stooped down to his paralyzed body as he groaned in pain. She popped the vial’s top off and then put it in his mouth, tipping it back. In another second the effect wore off and Doombunny walked over to Colorra and her hunting knife.

Yamata's health finally stopped depleting. He was solidly in the red, barely alive. If she had driven home the last stab, it would have depleted to the last little bit. 1 HP. Doombunny looked over her shoulder at him. He finally had two friends helping him.

"I would reconsider your words next time,” Doombunny warned him, loud enough for all to hear. “The next player may not be as gracious and patient with your insolence as I am and have been. Also, I'm sorry. I forgot that sword skill has a paralyzing effect to it. It wasn't a drug, but an effect the skill provides because of how stunning on the body it is." Doombunny's chuckle was ice cold. "Honestly I've seen monsters handle it much better than you did."

It was that final taunt that was toeing the line almost too much. Commander Heathcliff stepped out into the center. He clapped slowly five times to congratulate her and to cut the tension from escalating.

"Congratulations on the win, Doombunny. I must say, it was fascinating to watch. We don't have any other beast tamers on the front lines, but you have been there from the start. Your record stands for itself. I am sorry to see that it was soiled by such an ugly affair.

"Fear has taken a hold of many of us,” Heathcliff declared to everyone present. “A fear we can not let hold us and control us. We have worked beside each other for a long time. We are all green players for a reason too. Yes, tensions get high at times. But the real enemy is always fear. And that is why we have to drive forward to the next Floor, and then the Floor after that, and every other Floor until we reach the top!

“But it is also why we must trust our companions on the front lines we know. Friendship isn't something we should lose, but gain. Together, as one unified force we can keep each other safe, and drive the dark filth into the darkest holes of Aincrad where they will stay while we clear the game.

"Now go. Let us make our final preparations for the battle and see it through to victory!"

Cheers went up all around. They could all agree on that.

Bladescape (SS): Lvl 69 – Two-Handed SwordSearchWeapon DefenseLeather Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Sprint – Acrobatics – Blade Throwing
Knightstar (TS): Lvl 60 – One-Handed SwordShieldEquipment AppraisalParry – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Search – Armor Pierce
Thunderborne (RBD): Lvl 63 – RapierSprintAcrobaticsArmor Pierce – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Leather Armor – Weapon Defense – Extended Weight Carry
Backbreaker (AJ): Lvl 66 – Heavy ShieldOne-Handed War HammerExtended Weight CarryHeavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Fishing – Search – Martial Arts
AFCK (PP): Lvl 64 – Two-Handed AxeParryCookingWeapon DefenseMartial Arts – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Thrown Weapon
Diemond (R): Lvl 63 – Heavy Shield – Mace – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Heavy Metal Armor – TailoringLight Metal Armor ForgingHeavy Metal Armor Forging – Jewelry Making
Doombunny (FS): Lvl 60 – One-Handed Dagger – First Aid – HideSearchListening – Battle Regeneration – Fighting Spirit – Familiar Communication (Colorra) – Drug Mixing – Reveal
Astro (PS): Lvl 64 – Two-Handed Spear - Purchase Negotiation – Armor Pierce – Acrobatics – First Aid – Light Metal Armor – Battle Regeneration – Weapon Defense – Parry
Kiefer: Lvl 60 – One-Handed Curved Blade – Parry – Weapon Defense – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Light Metal Armor – Slash Weapon Forging – Katana – Martial Arts
Lessa: Lvl 60 – One-Handed Sword – Shield – Light Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Equipment Repair – Metal Equipment Repairing – Armor Pierce – Search
Joltron: Lvl 62 – One handed Axe – Heavy Shield – Heavy Metal Armor – First Aid – Battle Regeneration – Metal Refining – Blunt Weapon Forging – One Handed Weapon Creation – Two Handed Weapon Creation

PreviousChapters Next