• Published 19th Apr 2019
  • 4,026 Views, 1,641 Comments

The Gate - computerneek



After a portal is opened between worlds, a series of letter-bearing owls passes through it. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
32
 1,641
 4,026

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 63

Agent Coal Sun concentrates firmly on the electronic display covering his right eye, ignoring the urge to go elsewhere. The SEP field around here is very strong- but not strong enough to stop him. Or any of the other Agents following his lead car.

Just over a year ago- a year and a day, to be exact- a midair explosion of… odd coloring had been detected in this area by a passing satellite. When the computers had taken photos of the area later that same day, also from orbit, they had revealed a castle… with what looked like some kind of highschool sports stadium on the grounds. It almost looked like a twisted version of basketball to him, from the photos. It hadn’t drawn their attention very much on its own, so had been ignored- until, not long after, a much larger explosion- correction, pair of explosions- had been spotted by the same satellite network. An air burst, of the same, odd coloration, and a corresponding ground blast underneath it, hardly a second later- with an estimated strength of about one point three kilotons.

The British government had been notified, of course- and asked about it. They hadn’t known about it, and had investigated for about a month before coming back to ask for help… because they couldn’t find anything.

So S.H.I.E.L.D, the international intelligence agency of which he is part, had started investigating.

They’d tried flying manned aircraft through the area countless times- but the pilots always had to veer off for safety. The funny part about it is that when they then sent in unmanned aircraft under cover of night, they never had any trouble flying safely- though they did lose control whenever the craft was overtop the grounds. It still transmitted to them just fine… but it reported such a massive drop in signal-to-noise ratio that it couldn’t find the signal any more, until it cruised back out.

They’d had unmanned stealth aircraft pass through the area many times, sometimes multiple at once, since- and have measured the bounds of the strange interference field. Next, they’d sent a few cars, with hikers, to find it… But, even guided by their GPS units, they couldn’t find it. They had reported the SEP field as well- the first reports they have of it- but found nothing but an obviously derelict structure with caution tape strewn across the entrance.

A few months of constant UAV and hiker activity later, one hiker had the bright idea to take a photo of the derelict structure with his cell phone- and had instead gotten a photo of a grand castle. The same castle, it so happens, as shows up on the satellite and UAV photos.

They’d then spent a month or so fabricating- and testing- the equipment to ensure that they could approach, on foot or in ground vehicles, and see what was actually there.

Then they trained for it. If that wasn’t the most amazing piece of virtual reality equipment he’d ever seen, he doesn’t know what was. While he and his squad trained, they’d scouted out a good route to take with the UAVs. They’d had good luck- they’d spotted a good land approach path. It’s a bit rough of terrain, but nothing a good ATV couldn’t handle- so, two days ago, he had personally taken a quad bike along this route, spotted the gate onto the castle grounds, and returned. The route was flat enough for a good car- though, unfortunately, not quite smooth enough for the simple rear-wheel-drive sports sedans Shield normally likes using. They’d need power in all four wheels to safely traverse some of this terrain.

So they’d spent the day yesterday acquiring some brand-new black sedans that fit the bill. Fortunately, thanks to a certain Japanese car manufacturer, they didn’t even have to order anything custom-built- just buy the things off the consumer market and fit them with all terrain tires!

While they’d been doing that yesterday, the satellites had picked up another blast- and the really weird part about it was that a passing UAV had seen it too.

It wasn’t an explosion. It was some kind of extremely bright light, on the ground in the middle of the sports stadium… which was apparently used in some sort of airborne sport.

Thus, this mission with these cars was pushed to top priority- and he set out with his team this morning to come here. The SEP field, and various other misleading appearances, had slowed his progress to a crawl- but according to his GPS, he’s almost there.

He eases his car around what should be the last corner- and spots the gate once again.

… Well, gateway. There doesn’t seem to be any gate to block it.

He grins. “Target is in sight,” he announces.

The Agent in the passenger seat next to him activates his radio to relay his report to the rest. He gradually builds speed on the slope, watching the ground in front of his car… and finally slows, turns to face the gateway, and stops. “Alright, here’s the interference border,” he announces. “All units ready?”

The report eventually comes back. They’re all ready.

“Alright. Rolling in.” He switches his foot back to the gas, and crosses the gateway.

He doesn’t feel any different, after crossing it, save only that the SEP field seems to have gone away. Oh, and the engine of the car misfired once- but only once. The engine light goes out again when his partner pushes the button on his phone app. Huh, bluetooth must still work through the interference, at short ranges at the very least.

He looks up the sweeping lawns, at the castle… and its huge, closed, oak front doors, and speeds up a little. The ground under this grass is downright smooth after some of the terrain he’d driven over on the way here. He’ll park just short of the stairs, off to the side, so the rest of his team can park around and behind him without obstructing any apparent walkways or views, before they head up to knock on the door.


Professor Snape stops suddenly, looking out the window. He’s headed for the dungeons with Miss Diamond Tiara right now; she just stopped by the staffroom, apparently having found out about his Papa Tango, to help him figure out what his new ‘unique talent’ is… and she’s currently guessing it has something to do with his potions. He is as well, hence why he was headed down- to try brewing some… unconventional potions, and see if something happens.

But, something just outside of Hogwarts’ grounds caught his attention on the way past.

“Hmm?” Diamond asks, turning back to look out the window as well. “What is… Oh. I wonder what that is?”

He almost smiles; she’d noticed it as well: The glowing white lights, on the fronts of a series of black objects, collecting just off the grounds. As he watches, they start moving again, through the gateway into the castle grounds. “Muggles,” he states. “In their cars.”

Diamond’s hand flashes to her radio, and she speaks into it, before speaking back up to him. “That’s gotta be important.”

Snape nods. “First time muggles have ever penetrated our muggle repelling charms, I believe,” he states.

Diamond nods. “Yeah. While both Princess Celestia and Cornelius Fudge are in the Hospital Wing, having a discussion with Dumbledore.” She glances up at him. “By the way, Ginny wants the muggles directed up to them in the hospital wing. I rather doubt they’d listen to me very much, thanks to my stature.” She scowls at the approaching cars, then mutters something more into her radio.

“Well, at least it looks like they’re planning on coming in the front door,” Snape mutters, before resuming his walk- this time headed for the entrance hall. “Might as well get ready. Feel like joining in the fun?”

Diamond shrugs, watching the cars come. “Yeah, why not. I want to get a good look at them before they see me, though- I’ll meet you in the entrance hall once they get out of their cars.”

No sooner has he reached the entrance hall than Diamond comes charging down the passage after him, completely unwinded as she slows dramatically to walk with him again. “They’re like us,” she cautions. “Agents. Highly trained, well equipped, and no doubt here to investigate something.”

A knock resounds from the castle doors. Snape looks at them, before walking. “I wonder why they aren’t seeing a run-down old wreck.”

“Ahh… That might be the technology they have with them,” Diamond mutters. “It looks like they found a way around it.”

“We’ll just have to be careful, then, won’t we?” Snape shrugs, before stepping up to the door and turning the lock. Then he opens the door.

The very first thing he notices is that they’re all wearing black. Not robes, no- these are still muggle clothes. But, when viewed from afar, they could very easily be mistaken for black robes. They’re all wearing black glasses, and no hats. Bonus, true to Diamond’s word, they’re all wearing radios.

“Well hello,” he greets. “Can I help you?”

“Good evening,” the man in the front greats, bowing his head slightly and showing a badge. “We’re with the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division, making a routine visit to verify the safety of your operations.”

Snape very carefully doesn’t respond visibly, trading shamelessly on his skills as an Occlumens. Routine visit? About as likely as it would be for students to be intentionally petrifying themselves. Or, on a thought, for that Fluttershy to encourage Slytherin’s monster. Though… “Ahh, yes,” he begins. “The Headmaster said you’d be stopping by soon.” He takes a certain personal pride in how the man’s eyebrow twitches upwards. “Would you like to speak to him?”

The man bows his head. “Yes please.”

“Very well.” Snape pulls the door open, stepping back to let all the black-suited men past. As he does so, he turns to Diamond. “Miss Tiara, if you could run ahead and alert the Headmaster?”

“Yes Professor!” She promptly runs off, up the main staircase, no doubt to do something completely unrelated to what he’d asked; he knows she’s already alerted every other Agent in the building… and that a decent number of them are in the Hospital Wing with Dumbledore right now.


Agent Coal Sun walks quietly behind the strange, black-robed man, the rest of his team following behind.

If he’s honest with himself, he’s amazed at how well things are going. He’d half expected the man to see through his ‘routine visit’ excuse in a fraction of a second, forcing him to make up more fiction about previous routine visits not being honored by the administration, but he seems to have swallowed it hook, line, and sinker… or seen it coming, and played along. He’s not sure which.

Then of course, the man had offered to take them to the Headmaster- presumably, whoever is in control of things here. Combined with the girl’s referring to this man as ‘Professor’, he rather suspects the castle houses some kind of school.

Useful information to have, especially if he’s going to be meeting with the Headmaster under the pretense of a safety visit.

The girl’s hair had been interesting- reminds him of an investigation into the sudden appearance of a large number of funny-haired children a few hundred miles from here, just a year and a half ago. He’d been a part of that one as well- and he, along with the other Agents assigned to the covert investigation, had determined that they’re no different from normal children. Well… there were some small behavioral differences, but nothing that might suggest they were any more than children of a few families that had moved in from elsewhere.

So he ignores her hair when considering the radio he’d spotted on the front of her robes. It’d been nearly impossible- but, thanks mostly to his training, he’d spotted it. Which could mean an intelligence network inside the structure, and could mean another Agency…

But of course, he’d already confirmed with his other Agents, when getting out of the cars: None of his radios work here, unless they’re within about six inches of each other and transmitting on maximum power.

So he’s willing to discount the microphone on her robes as attached to some kind of recording device, rather than a legitimate radio. Something to let her take notes during a practical lesson, maybe? Or maybe she has some homework assignment or another related to her day-to-day life at the school, that she finds easier to complete by recording snippets on-the-fly for transcription later? Yeah, probably one of those.

In the corner of his eye, one of the portraits on the wall seems to be ogling him and his team. Deciding that this must be some kind of teleconference or AI-based security system, either that or some magical system of the sort S.H.I.E.L.D has never seen before, he nods his head courteously towards the portraits as he passes.

He has noticed the pointed hats both this Professor and the girl, Miss Tiara, are wearing. Combined with the robes, that’s stereotypical magician’s garb- but he absolutely refuses to make assumptions like that. That’s a very fast way to cause problems, both now and later. It’s not like these people wave magic wands around, or ride on broomsticks!

He does find the number of hidden passages the Professor leads him and his team down- two, exactly- to be rather amusing. This castle must be set up as a labyrinth, possibly as a defensive measure. It does look pretty old, though well-maintained; no doubt it dates back to sometime before modern weapons were invented, back when a castle like this couldn’t be razed from afar.

Which also suggests a high degree of tradition is upheld here, but it’s not definitive.

Finally, the man knocks twice on a door and opens it without waiting.

The scene that greets him is at once amusing. The room is very clearly an infirmary- but that hasn’t stopped what must be several prominent figures from gathering here… and people have clearly been taking sides, to an extent at least.

Furthest away from him, there’s one bed with one of the funny-haired children on it; her hair is blue and white. She’s watching everything with a look of amusement, and twiddling a foot long stick in her right hand, despite her posture very definitely favoring that same side. Seated on the far side of the bed are three more girls. One, with curly pink and purple hair, is watching everything with an almost unnaturally calm expression, not unlike his own. The second, with hair that reminds him of a bonfire, is leaning back in her chair with a twinkle in her eye and a knowing grin on her face. The third, a normal-looking redhead, is wearing not only a look of calm determination but two microphones, to the other three’s one apiece.

The matron, holding a foot-long stick of her own, seems to be hovering protectively over the girl in the bed, yet also facing away from her so as to participate in the discussion; she’s on the near side of the bed, though positioned close enough to the headboard she isn’t obstructing anyone from view. There’s a brown-haired boy with a little red cross ring placed over his pointed hat leaning almost casually against the foot of the bed, and a wizened old man standing calmly next to him, eyes twinkling in amusement. He would seem to be prominent person number one.

Side number two would seem to be standing in the middle of the room: The eminently breathtaking woman with the sunlit hair that’s blowing in a breeze he can’t feel. She’s prominent person number two; she practically oozes long experience, completely aside from how she feels much like some of the ancient aliens Shield helps keep their cover in modern society: Very old, almost beyond belief. As a matter of fact, she feels even more experienced than them!

She’s also accompanied by two young men, clad in golden armor and armed with spears- no doubt decorative instruments- standing calmly by the door, obviously deferring to her despite the physical separation. He can tell they care about her, but it seems they’re not all that worried about her getting hurt.

Side number three would be a slightly nearer bed, this one occupied by a grown man that appears to be trying to make it look like he isn’t cowering in fear… and failing dismally. He seems to be alone.

Side number four would be closest to him. Three men and two women. One of the men seems to be a little bit panicked, like everything is not going to plan; the other two are watching the proceedings with the long-suffering patience of law enforcement. One of the women is tailing the first man with a notebook, quill, and bottle of ink- he actually has to look twice, yes, that is a quill, not a pen- while the other, who looks like a visiting medic, is giving side number three the stink eye. The first of the men would appear to be prominent person number three.

Then of course, there’s the three children seated calmly on the sidelines, opposite the girl on the bed: A girl with metallic red hair with icy blue fringes, a boy with a pair of royal blue stripes splitting his shiny silver hair cleanly into thirds, and a second boy, with his curly hair split into dark purple and dark green sides by a golden band down the middle.

And that’s not even counting the woman, three notepads and a pen in hand- ink bottle lying forgotten next to her- seated next to them. Just about everything about her screams Journalist! at him.

He raises an eyebrow, very carefully not commenting that something seems to have happened, while his peripheral vision picks out the two children lying on beds with nobody gathered around them. Only, these children don’t seem to be lying- it’s almost like they’ve been frozen, or turned to stone. They aren’t moving at all- even the one with his hands up in front of his face, as if holding a camera. Nobody seems to be paying them much attention.

Rather interesting how, with the exception of only those two frozen children, he can see all of the children’s nametags, and even read them all. None of the adults seem to be carrying nametags, though.

Miss Heartstrings, on the bed, tilts her head at him, looking perplexed. She points her stick at him briefly, before blinking, as if she’d just realized something obvious. She looks forwards, at the three watching children. “Hermione, could you take Draco and get the Whiskey Tango?”

Even before the two named children vanish into thin air, an electric tingle runs down his spine, putting his senses on high alert. Code words.

The girl next to her- Bonbon- rolls her eyes.

The wizened old man raises a curious eyebrow at Lyra before turning to step closer to him, hands held welcomingly forwards. “Greetings, gentlemen, and welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

Agent Coal Sun very carefully doesn’t react. Witchcraft and Wizardry… Of course it has to be magic. Not far from what Shield decided the explosions had to be in order to be so large yet cause so little damage.

“I am the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore; this is Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge, and a visiting foreign leader, Princess Celestia, of Equestria.” He gestures to the two other prominent people in order, man first.

The ‘Minister for Magic’ seems even more uncertain now, but the Princess seems genuinely amused, smiling at the Headmaster… but never letting that one man on the bed out of her sight, he notices.

He nods his head, and indicates the man on the bed. “And him?”

Dumbledore glances over at him. “Ah…”

“Can someone get these people a newspaper?” the redhead, Ginny Weasley, suddenly pipes up.

PreviousChapters Next