• Published 19th Apr 2019
  • 4,023 Views, 1,641 Comments

The Gate - computerneek



After a portal is opened between worlds, a series of letter-bearing owls passes through it. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
32
 1,641
 4,023

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10

“That’s… a Devil’s Snare?” Lucy asks, as the magic blue platform everyone had ridden to the bottom disappears into the darkness.

“Yep,” Moondancer nods. “Don’t touch it- I’m not particularly interested in wasting the energy required to set it on fire.” Several of the girls chuckle.

“Anyways,” Lucy mutters, turning to the green-haired Gryffindor girl. “How did you see in this darkness from so far away?”

The girl chuckles, holding out her hand. “That’s my unique talent,” she states. “And the reason they call me Agent Hidden Light. Speaking of which… Yeah, I forgot to include you in the spell. Hold on a sec.”

Moments later, Lucy gasps as the darkness seems to scurry away in the wake of a gentle blue glow suffusing the air around the group. It’s a bit of a strange effect; noone seems to have a shadow. “Wow! That’s- wait. If someone happened across us with that- without Lyra’s stealth thing- they’d never see it?”

She nods. “Yep. This light is completely invisible to anyone I don’t specifically want to see it. And anything it shines upon, I can see, whether or not I’m looking.” She chuckles. “Gives a whole new meaning to my name, Glowing Blue.”

She blinks. “Your name is Glowing Blue.”

Nod again. “Yeah. Not the most common, even in Equestria. And I’ve tried teaching the spell to others- it’d be incredibly useful for some of the more experienced Agents to have- but none of ‘em can pull it off.” She heaves a sigh. “Makes sense, it is my unique talent. Anyways, we’d best get moving before Bonnie leaves us behind. I’m not seeing any traps in this passage- other than that plant, that is- but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any, and I’d hate to get caught alone.”

“Right!” She trots after the group with Glowing, catching up fairly quickly.

“There’s something up ahead,” the brown-haired Ravenclaw boy states. “Can you see it, Derpy?”

The blonde Hufflepuff walking next to him looks forwards. “Yep,” she states. “Well-lit room full of… flying keys. First time I’ve seen those. Um… There’s a few brooms on a rack by the wall, not nearly enough for all of us.”

Bonbon nods. “Sounds like a classic catch-the-key to me.”

“Classic?” Derpy asks.

She nods again. “You’ve clearly never visited any of the nobles’ hidden vaults,” she states. “Every last one of them- save Blueblood- uses a catch-the-key like this. A huge pain for, ah, anyone that can’t fly.” She glances back at Lucy, walking just behind her. “Sorry, there’s… a few things we’re not allowed to mention about our home just yet.” Then she glances at Lyra, walking next to her. “Though, something tells me your execution of the papa tango is going to throw that out the airlock.”

Lucy tilts her head. “What is the papa tango?”

“Secret,” Lyra answers her.

“And… the ‘dodger’?”

“Ahh…” Lyra looks inquisitively at Bonbon.

“What?” Bonbon asks.

“You know her better than I do,” Lyra states.

“Oh, all right,” Bonbon mutters, and puts a hand to her chin. “Um… Yeah, I don’t know.” She glances back at Lucy. “Sorry, secrecy policies can be a bear to uphold sometimes. ‘Dodger’ is a nickname we came up with- but I don’t think I can tell you any more just yet.” She turns back to Lyra. “Speaking of which, how is the papa tango coming along?”

Lyra grins. “Well, I’ve already got the Weasley twins begging me for details.”

Bonbon lets out a laugh. “Oh boy. Something tells me he’s going to have the time of his life.”

Lyra chuckles again. “Yeah. So will the twins.” She glances back at Lucy. “Don’t worry, for as amusing as I expect the papa tango is going to be, you won’t need to worry about it happening to you. I haven’t perfected the spells necessary just yet- and besides, I’m going to be masking the matrices when I execute them, making them impossible to duplicate.” Then she grins. “And, it’s not something I’m going to be throwing around willy-nilly, either.” She giggles. “That’d get me in sooo much trouble.”

“Uhh…” Lucy mutters, eyes wide.

“Yeah,” Glowing mutters. “I kinda wish Moondancer was doing that; she’s the smartest one we got here at Hogwarts, discounting Twilight who’d probably kill someone with an incomplete spell. Only problem is, only Lyra has half a clue what she’s doing, or what she’s doing it with.”

“That sounds…” Lucy begins.

“Dangerous?” Glowing suggests, and Lucy nods. “Normally, I’d agree. In the hands of a mad scientist like Twilight, definitely. But Lyra’s always been one of the most careful agents, even though she’s a great example of Gryffindor bravery. Don’t ask me how she manages that. But with her doing it, as much as she may prank a couple people with it before she’s satisfied, you can be certain it’ll be completely safe before she starts doing anything with it.”

“... Oh.”

“Wow,” someone up front states. “Yeah, that’s keys all right. And there’s a door on the other side- just a sec.”

Lucy spots the Gryffindor dash underneath all the flying keys and reach the door, before pulling on it. “Yep, locked. Alohomora! … Nope, didn’t work.”

“Accio Key!” Moondancer calls, stepping into the room. A large, silver key falls out of the air into her waiting hand. She raises her eyebrow, and looks at it. “Huh. No spells at all, save the flight- and… Yep, it’s a match to the lock.” She glances up. “That summoning spell isn’t in the first-year charms book, but it’s about as hard as the unlocking spell, so anyone with access to the library could have learned it. Virtually no power cost at all.”

“Wait,” Lyra calls, trotting across the room to join her and the other Gryffindor by the door. “You said the key had no other spells on it at all?”

“Yeah.”

“Then… Yeah, nothing on the door either. Lock pick?”

The other Ravenclaw girl grins, flicking her steel-colored hair as she trots forwards, drawing something from a pocket. She reaches the door… and three seconds later, pulls it open without the key. “Old-fashioned lock,” she states. “No spells, no pins. Zero security value whatsoever. Wingardium Leviosa would be enough to turn the cylinder.”

Moondancer shrugs, tossing the silver key back into the air, over her shoulder, and turning to Glowing. “Alright, next room. What’re we getting into now?”

“A dark room, there’s a light spell though, set to wake as soon as we enter. Massive chessboard, on the black side.” Scowl. “There’s a lot of spell matrices in there.”

Everyone walks in, slowly, carefully.

“Good evening,” Lyra greets the black knight she’d just touched; the stone had come to life at her touch. “I don’t suppose we have to play our way across, do we?”

It nods.

“Ahh, thank you. So, who feels up to a game of chess?”

“Interesting,” Moondancer mutters. “The chess AI for the white pieces is pretty good, but… Yeah, that’s a staff override. Keyed to exactly two people, which would be… Yeah, I recognize those signatures. Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore. Hold on a sec.”

“Is she…?” Lucy begins.

“Yep,” Glowing states. “I’ve been trained to analyze matrices as well, but I haven’t a clue where to look for chess AI- let alone evaluate it. As we mentioned earlier, Moondancer is one of the best of the best. I’m not, I just have a good light spell that no one else can use.”

Suddenly, the pieces on both sides of the board split to the sides, making a pathway to the door on the far side.

“There,” Moondancer nods. “Would have been easier to crush the matrices altogether than to spoof Dumbledore’s signature; it’s safe to say that anyone other than the Headmaster and Deputy Headmistress, save us, would have to play a pretty impressive game of chess to get across- and hope the piece they replaced didn’t have to be surrendered.” She glances back as she starts across the board. “The King can’t be substituted.”

“That’s actually pretty good,” Lyra states. “What happens when they’re taken?”

“Smashed to the ground, shoved to the side. There’s a spell on the room, though- no damage, but they’ll be held unconscious for as long as they’re in the room- and an alert will go onto the castle wards, as well. So, no real danger.” Chuckle. “I’d have been happier if this was what was behind the Cerberus, with the Devil’s Snare after this.” She glances to the side. “The door would prevent accidental entry, the Cerberus would deter anyone that isn’t serious. This would catch anyone that isn’t on the top of their game, then the Devil’s Snare would up the stakes and drive away anyone not dead serious. The key room… I donno. I wouldn’t want it in front of the Cerberus; people would start treating it like a game. But that’s really about all it’s worth. C’mon, staff override will only last five minutes.” She then leads the party across the board, glancing back at Glowing as she opens the door.

“Empty passage, no signatures,” she states simply, and everyone follows Moondancer through it.

“So, with everything we’ve gone through so far,” Lucy mutters.

Bonbon answers. “The locked door will have stopped anyone that wasn’t sure if it was their classroom or not; the Cerberus will have turned back any wimps. The Devil’s Snare will have dined on anyone that didn’t have the reaction time to catch the right key in the key room without a summoning spell; that giant chess set will have stoppered any idiots. What’s next?”

Moondancer opens the door at the end of the passage, allowing a truly terrible smell to waft into the tunnel. “Stupefy! Huh. Well, let’s try Wingardium Leviosa!” A sickening crack from the room brings a sudden end to the grunting, before a loud clattering of wood on stone comes back, and Moondancer opens the door all the way. “Troll,” she states. “Looks like a mountain troll. Pretty magic resistant itself- stunner did nothing- but anyone that thinks to try levitating its club is going to have him out cold in moments.” She glances back. “Even easier than the Cerberus- those can’t be knocked cold by blunt-force trauma. Thus, utterly pointless. Though, I suppose the stench may turn back the weak of heart, even if the Cerberus will have already turned them back. Here, there’s the next room.”

Moondancer has the door only half-open before Glowing lets out a gasp, and everyone freezes, looking at her.

“We’re safe now,” she mutters- and several students let out sudden breaths. “There’s a pair of barrier spells on a trigger in there- but the trigger also sends an alert to the castle wards.”

“Can you suppress it?”

She shakes her head. “No. My light spell should slip under its radar- Lyra, it’s watching for thaumic auras to enter the room. Can we hide that?”

Lyra blinks, then chuckles. “Yeah, actually, that’s intrinsic to my stealth spell. That light in the chess room only came on because I placed the stealth matrix on standby- the chessmen wouldn’t have realized we were there, otherwise.”

“So… Yeah, we should be okay.”

“But tread softly,” Lyra states. “And noone use magic. I know a few spells that’ll stay hidden by my stealth, but almost any standard spell will break free of it.”

“Got it,” several people state.

“What about the light spell?” Lucy asks.

“It’s already hidden,” Glowing states. “Even Lyra- master of disguise and detection- can’t find it unless I want her to.”

Lucy blinks. “I take it your light spell can also see spell matrices?”

Glowing chuckles. “When I said that I can see anything it shines upon, I do mean anything. I can see the dust motes floating in the air, the footprints on the floor, fingerprints on the bottles, and, of course, spell matrices stand out like a sore thumb. Not unlike the castle wards- which, by the way, we’re nearing the heart of.”

“We are?” Lyra asks, glancing back.

“Yeah. The ley lines are starting to converge up ahead.”

“And what bottles?” Lucy asks.

“Presumably, there’s some bottles in there,” Bonbon states. “Moondancer?”

“Yep,” Moondancer answers, swinging the door the rest of the way open. “A few different shapes and sizes. There’s a piece of paper here. Lemme see… Um… Oh, a logic puzzle. Three hold poison, two wine; one potion will penetrate the barrier onwards, another back.” She points at the bottles in what appears to Lucy to be a random order. “Doc, this is your department- how hard is it?”

The Ravenclaw boy steps over next to her, looking down at the page, then glances up at the bottles for a second. “Eh, middling. I’m more worried about the size of that bottle- that’s only one dose to go forwards.”

“There’s probably a staff override,” Lyra mutters, looking around. “Either that, or the potion is self-replenishing. In any case.” She glances back at Lucy. “Any idea how effective a logic puzzle will be against wizards? We haven’t had a chance to find out yet.”

Lucy closes her jaw. “Very effective,” she states. “A lot of the greatest witches and wizards haven’t got an ounce of logic.”

“So if it’s middling difficulty by Equestrian standards- Doctor Whooves, or Time Turner, makes and solves them for a living, he would know- then it’s gonna stump all but the smartest wizards.”

“He makes and solves logic puzzles for a living?”

Time Turner shrugs. “In a manner of speaking. I make and repair the gizmos and gadgets the locals need or use. You’d be amazed at how intricate some of them can be.” He chuckles. “I actually do make and sell puzzles of this format, among others, as a bit of a hobby.”

“Still, this would be an excellent follow-up to the devil’s snare, if it were placed after the chess set,” Moondancer states. “The door to stop accidentals, the Cerberus to keep out the curious, the chess set to stop the strong, the devil’s snare to escalate to life-threatening, and this- oh, this is a perfect trap. If you get it wrong and drink the wrong bottle, it could be one of the three poisons- and even if it’s not, if it’s not the right one, they’ll be trapped in this room- those barriers are mortal barriers- until Dumbledore or McGonagall stop by to find out who’s here! Honestly, if I were some imposter on that sequence, I’d stop after this and turn back; with each barrier being an escalation of the last, I’d only expect to find an even tougher escalation after.”

“Speaking of which, next room,” Lyra mutters. “Glowing, anything over there?”

“Mm?” Glowing walks over to the door. “Ah… There’s a table with a rock on it, and the heart of the wards is anchored to the ceiling, but there’s nothing else- no other doors, either. No matrices, no triggers for the wards.”

“Well, that’s convenient,” Moondancer chuckles, opening the door. “Does suggest whatever it is isn’t- Wait. That is not-!” She trots into the next room, everyone else following behind her, and bends over the table to look at something. Then she straightens up, planting a hand in her face. “Well, we now know what’s worth protecting with a bunch of ineffective and dangerous enchantments,” she states.

“What is it?” Lucy asks.

“That,” Moondancer states, stepping to the side to reveal a blood-red stone sitting on the table and pointing at it, “is a Philosopher's Stone. Probably the one that belongs to Nicholas Flamel, too- that is the only one in existence.”

“And for good reason, too,” Bonbon mutters, leaning in for a closer look.

“Oh?” Lucy asks.

“Yeah,” Lyra states. “They can turn any metal into gold, and produce the Elixir of Life, set to give anyone an indefinite lifespan. On the flip side of the coin, if you’re not careful, the things are deadly dangerous. Excellent anchors for dark magic, and not so much for light magic. And don’t even try scanning them. Nasty harmonic unless you know exactly what you’re doing.”

Bonbon looks up at her. “How do you know that?”

“Celestia has three of them locked in the Vault.”

Several people turn to stare. “What.”

Bonbon just facepalms. “I keep forgetting Lyra’s one of the elite few capable of penetrating that.”

“Elite few?” Lyra asks.

Bonbon clears her throat. “Right. Elite few, in that she’s one of a total of four people capable of gaining undetected, unauthorized access to the Royal Vault. And all three of the others are allowed entry!

“Who are they?” Lucy asks.

Lyra chuckles. “Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Cadence. Princess Twilight is allowed entry as well, but she’s not powerful enough- yet- to overwhelm the wards and break in.”

“And you are?”

Shake. “Nah- even Discord can’t break in, and he’s stronger than me. I’ve got the finesse- and strength- to fool the wards into thinking I’m not there.”

“And that’s, quite literally, the most powerful wards in the entire nation,” Moondancer states.

“Yeah.”

“And you call me one of the best of the best.”

“Yeah.”

“You know I can’t approach the Vault with a fifty-foot pole without being detected, right?”

“Yes, actually. All the other ‘best of the best’ can’t get within a hundred feet. Or more.”

She turns to Bonbon. “I think I finally understand how she has a clue how to do the papa tango.”

Bonbon nods solemnly. “Yeah. There are times I’d give a limb just to understand how her mind works. Anyways, now that we’re here, Lyra- was that defense anywhere close to adequate to protect something like this?”

Lyra shakes her head. “Not even close. Get a party of one Gryffindor and one Ravenclaw- or, if she’s brave, just a Ravenclaw- and she stands a fifty fifty chance of getting all the way down here. The only tricky part would be pacifying the Cerberus without knowing about the music weakness. Make it a particularly smart member of the house, and any house could produce someone capable of doing it all.” She glances back at the door to the room with the potions in it. “Send the Gryffindor through this door to fetch the Stone, rejoin back in that room, and return together. The chess pieces won’t bother anyone traveling in the other direction, and the brooms in the key room would more than suffice to get them past the devil’s snare. Surprise would keep the Cerberus from reacting to them until they were gone, if they were quick.

“The biggest obstruction would be the ward activation from entering that potion room- but if they managed to get Dumbledore, the only one with a direct receipt line of those notifications, away from the castle… They’d be long gone by the time anyone got around to opposing them.” She glances back at the door. “And yeah, those potions are self-refilling. I can see the cutouts for it in the ward matrix- the bottles reset as soon as the room is empty, and their contents every ten minutes when there’s someone there.”

“Well then,” Bonbon shrugs, pulling a large number of sweets out of her hair. “Who wants to send Dumbledore a message with the wards, and who wants some extra dessert?”

Lucy’s jaw drops again.

PreviousChapters Next