• Published 19th Apr 2019
  • 4,020 Views, 1,641 Comments

The Gate - computerneek



After a portal is opened between worlds, a series of letter-bearing owls passes through it. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
32
 1,641
 4,020

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45

“Well,” Professor Dumbledore mutters, looking around at his Heads of House. They’ve all recovered by now, and gotten over the initial shock of the age difference. “I daresay we know what it is now.” He glances upwards, at the faintly glowing matrices still filling the room.

“Are you sure?” Professor Snape asks him, prodding one of his wings. “I do not recall being transformed into a tiny silver unicorn.”

Professor Flitwick, who had grown to a regular-sized eleven-year-old rather than the shortened stance of his half-goblin ancestry, shakes out his green wings, completely ignoring his shining golden hair. “Pretty sure her ‘papa tango’ didn’t administer wings, though,” he mutters, before picking his wand back up off the floor where it had fallen and pointing it at himself to mutter a few incantations.

“There… There is that,” Dumbledore scowls. “Maybe it only does that to some people.”

Snape looks up, his wing vanishing behind his back. “Some people?” he asks.

Dumbledore shrugs. “Alas, I find myself lacking in feathery appendages.”

“I as well,” Professor Sprout mutters. Then she glances up at Professor Dumbledore. “Not that I’d use them.”

Dumbledore finally turns to Professor McGonagall, who has been staring at her hands for the last couple of minutes. “Minerva?”

McGonagall looks up. “Hmm? Oh, no wings.” She then scowls. “Funny. Filius’ wings look different from Severus’.”

All eyes turn to the two. Flitwick stretches out one wing towards Snape; it’s about three feet long, with leathery skin covering the leading edge and claws at each of the joints. The skin also covers a good six inches down the wing, before it gives over to feathers.

Snape extends one wing out past Flitwick as well. It’s huge, by comparison- a good six feet long, and fully feathered. The leading edge is covered not by leathery skin but by a dense layer of small feathers.

Dumbledore nods. “Interesting.”

Flitwick folds his wing in time with Snape. “Must be my goblin heritage,” he mutters. He looks up at McGonagall. “What’s got you so distracted?”

McGonagall looks up from her hands again. “It feels like I’m in my animagus form,” she states. “Though I can still feel my normal animagus form… and can’t seem to find my normal form.”

“What?” Professor Dumbledore asks, eyebrows raised.

McGonagall shrugs, dropping her hands and snatching up her wand. “In any case, we’d better at least appear grown for the rest of the school to see. A good age spell ought to do it, I’d say.”

Flitwick nods slowly. “Yeah…” He mutters another incantation or two. “Hmm… Yeah, that should work.” He looks up, and describes the spell. “We’ll have to reapply it regularly, at least once every three days, possibly more often- but it should work.”

Two minutes later, one Headmaster and four Heads of House, all fully grown, step out of the room and seal the door once again, before splitting back up to their individual duties.


Nighttime falls at Hogwarts Castle. Filch had tilted his head at the odd hair colors they now sport, but had declined to comment on it. The other teachers hadn’t even noticed.


Professor Dumbledore cancels the age spell on himself before getting into bed. He’ll have to re-enact it tomorrow, but for now, he rather enjoys having so much space on his bed.


Professor Sprout leaves her age spell intact as she climbs into bed. She’ll check it for how long it’ll last when she gets up, see if she needs to renew it.


Professor Flitwick also leaves his intact, completely not thinking about it as he charms his bed bigger then, after having difficulty getting comfortable with his wings, charms himself a magical cushion above his bed for him to sleep on.


Professor McGonagall has been working all day long, and falls asleep almost as soon as she lands on her bed. Once again, Professor Dumbledore wasn’t able to find a new Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor until way late- and it takes a ton of work, especially with this many returning students, to distribute book lists to them all. First-years may be handled by an automatic spell, but letters for second years and beyond must be produced manually.


Professor Snape starts his night by checking up on his age spell. He accurately deduces it’ll have a lifespan of about seventeen hours per invocation, so he cancels it; he doesn’t want it falling apart in his sleep, because that’d almost certainly awaken him unnecessarily.

Then he clambers into bed, and tries, time and time again, to get comfortable. His wings don’t like being crushed when he lays on his back; when he lays on his side, they shift uncomfortably against his back, such that he knows he’d be in for a massively sore back in the morning.

Eventually, he decides to try sleeping on his front. It never worked for him in the past; he’s always been a “back-sleeper”, so to speak.

And of course, it’s uncomfortable again. He finds himself wishing he could get comfortable- maybe even transform into something more comfortable. Even- even that silver unicorn Malfoy got turned into. If he could turn into that, so long as it’s reversible, he’d theoretically be able to get comfortable!

He blinks, and lifts his head off the mattress. He seems to have shrunk considerably, and when he thinks about it, his body feels different- fuzzier. He crawls up to his pillow- definitely different proportions- and sticks his head out from under his blankets, into the dim light cast by his magical “night light”. He blinks at it, then sticks one arm out from under the blankets as well.

He’s met with the view of a very dark blue furred foreleg, complete with hoof.

He sits up, closes his eyes, concentrates on being human, opens them again.

He’s back human… Well, winged human.

He chuckles to himself. “Rather convenient time to discover my animagus.” He shifts back, tugs the blankets back over himself with his mouth, curls up, ruffles his wings against his sides, and falls asleep very quickly, completely devoid of discomfort.

Author's Note:

It's been a while since the last chapter, hasn't it?

A combination of writer's block and other, less savory annoyances. Whelp, I'm back- for a short time, at least. And sorry about the short chapter... no worries, I've got more (longer) chapters waiting in line already.

PreviousChapters Next