• Published 19th Apr 2019
  • 4,019 Views, 1,641 Comments

The Gate - computerneek



After a portal is opened between worlds, a series of letter-bearing owls passes through it. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
32
 1,641
 4,019

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 54

“Why did you agree to this?”

Ginny shrugs, opens her mouth, and catches herself at the last minute. Lyra is leading her down a few passages- down quite a few passages- to ‘a good place to test it’. “I… I don’t know,” she answers Ariel. “I… I guess I didn’t see why not. But, ahh… I might be beginning to regret that.” At least it’s still mid-afternoon, so it’s not like she’s breaking any rules.

Finally, Lyra turns into an empty classroom… and pauses, looking at the blackboard. “Oh boy,” she mutters.

Ginny catches a glimpse of the rude words written on it before a wash of golden energy wipes it clean. “What?” she asks.

“Peeves,” Lyra states. “He must have messed around in here at some point.” She shrugs. “Oh well, it is an empty classroom. Plenty of the classrooms in this castle are still completely unused- I wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of the ones he scribbled on over the summer… and somehow kept Filch away from. In any case, we’re not here to worry about that. Ariel ready for another little tickle?”

Ginny blinks.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Ariel informs her.

“She’s ready,” Ginny states.

“Alright,” Lyra states.

“It still tickles.”

“Okay, we’re alone,” Lyra nods. “So… how about we get started, then?”

Ginny nods slowly. “What will we be doing?” she asks.

Lyra smiles. “Depends on what happens, really. I thought that, since you were able to make an accurate prediction on a moment’s notice, we’d start with a couple little prediction-based puzzles, and go from there.”

“And go from there?” Ginny asks.

Lyra nods. “Yep! Basically, we try and find your limit. If it hurts, or you get tired, tell me- because either one of those could mean we’re getting close… and I’d hate to actually hit the limit, as doing that can be very painful. Fortunately, the particular class of magic these ‘unique talents’ belong to tends to have incredibly high limits- so high, in fact, that only one Equestrian has ever gotten close to it- and that’s Twilight, whose unique talent is her ability to violate her own magical limits. And her limit…

“Well, there was once when an Ursa Minor attacked her hometown.”

“Ursa Minor?” Ginny asks.

Lyra nods. “That’s what it’s called. You don’t have them on Earth, so I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of it. Massive, astral beasts, with extremely high magic resistance- and this one was, oh, around a quarter the size of Hogwarts Castle. And as smart as Twilight is, she’s always had a problem with tunnel vision- so she didn’t see me standing ten feet away, and instead blew a ton of power on making trees sing. At the same time, she levitated a water tower through a barn, filling it with milk- I still don’t know how she got so much so quickly- before taking it over to the Ursa. Then of course, she levitated the sleeping Ursa, complete with the water tower pretending to be a baby bottle- Ursa Minors are babies, it’s the Ursa Majors that are the adults- back to its cave. All while still maintaining the singing trees.”

Ginny stares, jaw hanging.

Lyra nods. “Yeah. Had her limit on her unique talent been about twice as high, I wouldn’t be surprised if she would have been able to move the moon across the sky.”

Ginny looks down at the piece of parchment Lyra had offered her while she was talking. “Meaning, in theory, my… ability, is effectively limitless.”

Lyra nods. “Assuming that’s what it is, yes. And if it is, that simply means we won’t be running into power limits, simply the limit of what the ability can do- say, what kinds of problems, and so on.”

Ginny nods. “Ahh. And, it’s two hundred forty-six point three meters.” She taps the page.

Lyra nods. “Accurate. How about the other side?”

She flips the page, glancing at it. “Eighty-three days.”

Lyra’s eyebrows go up. “The second one?”

Ginny shakes her head; there’s two questions on the second side of the page, rather than the single question on the front. “I don’t understand the math.”

“Don’t understand the math, huh?” Lyra frowns, rubbing her chin. Then she shrugs. “Oh, that’s a possible experiment.” She produces another sheet from her bookbag and offers it.

Ginny takes it; there’s a whole bunch of names and equations listed- a ‘reference sheet’, so to speak. “Oh, the answer’s forty-eight and a half degrees.”

“Alright,” Lyra mutters. “How about… Oh, why not.” She digs in her bag. “I’ve been meaning to mess with this thing for a while now, but I’ve been too busy for regular puzzles like this.” She pulls out an odd, multicolored plastic cube.

Ginny tilts her head. “What is it?”

“It’s a muggle puzzle, called a Rubik’s Cube.” Lyra shrugs. “Though, this isn’t exactly a regular Rubik’s Cube- it’s a larger, more challenging, six-by-six-by-six cube. The goal of the puzzle is to get each face of the cube to only hold faces of the same color, rather than this, the ‘scrambled’ cube.”

“How does it get there?”

“By moving it,” Lyra states, indicating the lines- the tiny gaps in the plastic- with one finger… then gripping one side of the cube and twisting it. It splits smoothly, instantly becoming a set of flat planes linked at their centers. Lyra completes the twist, straightening out the planes in a different position, before turning the cube and twisting it in a different direction. “The rotations work in any of the three axis. Think you can solve it?” She finishes that twist, aligning the sections once again.

Ginny shrugs. “Only one way to find out,” she mutters, holding out her hand.

Lyra tosses it into her hand, giving it a bit of a spin on the way over.

Before it even touches her hand, Ginny knows exactly how to solve it. She catches it. “Oh, that’s easy.” She starts twisting the various sections, flicking them around with almost dizzying speed.

It takes her less than a minute to finish her solution, at which point she turns the cube over in her hands. The gaps in the plastic are still there- but for a muggle puzzle, she figures, that’s to be expected. But she’s done- each of the six sides only displays one color. She hands it back to Lyra.

Lyra accepts it, looking thoughtful. “Hmm…” She absently scrambles it again, spinning the various sections randomly, before returning it to her bag.

“Is this where things get interesting?” Ariel asks.

“Um,” Ginny begins. “Is this where…?”

Lyra nods. “Yeah. It’s like they say, go big or go home.”

Ginny blinks. “How big?”


Bonbon frowns slightly to herself as she approaches the door. About five minutes ago, Lyra had called her on the radio and summoned her to this classroom, on Priority Nine- which means, it isn’t all that important, but she might want to come see.

She knocks gently on the door, before letting herself in and looking around.

There are two people in the room. Lyra, and a redheaded Gryffindor first-year… Ginny, was it? She can’t see the girl’s nametag from here.

The entire classroom is flooded with papers. And of course, there’s a series of glowing golden circles on the desk between the two girls, Lyra’s hand on the circles. As she watches, the rings flash bright, and a veritable tower of papers appears in one of them, right up to the ceiling.

The tower then, under the influence of Lyra’s golden glow, flips down to flash past in front of Ginny, one sheet at a time but very fast and closely spaced, before restacking on a nearby desk.

As soon as the last one is past, the ballpoint pen in Ginny’s hand comes down on the page in front of her, and she starts drawing cryptic symbols on the page, making first one circle, then a second, and finally a third, before pushing it over to Lyra, who studies it for a second.

Then Lyra closes her eyes, concentrating on something… Oh, that’s the book she’s tethered her experimental version of the Papa Echo to- the new name for the spell to add British components to an Equestrian matrix. It hasn’t worked yet.

Lyra doesn’t move for a couple minutes, before she finally raises an eyebrow… then the book suddenly glows sharply golden, exactly like the Whiskey Tango book did each time she activated it.

There’s a blinding flash of white light, and the book stops glowing.

Lyra doesn’t open her eyes, though, concentrating on something. She looks a little exhausted, particularly after the flash- did she burn through all her reserves or something?

“Um… what was that?” Ginny asks.

Lyra then manifests her magic aura around herself for some reason, growing in intensity. It gets stronger- then Lyra’s expression suddenly becomes excited.

Then, in a bright flash of golden light, Lyra disappears completely.

“What the-?” Ginny asks, looking around. Then she spots Bonbon, and blinks. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t see you there. Um…” She glances back forwards.

Bonbon steps up next to her, looking at the page she’d given Lyra. This close up, she can recognize the symbols on the page- three full, interlocking circles, stuffed densely with runes. A moderately large spell matrix.

She glances around at the stacks of papers scattered about the room. “I take it you’ve been, ah, studying, with Lyra?”

Ginny shrugs. “Kinda. We’ve been trying to find the limit of my, um, she called it a ‘unique talent’.”

Right on schedule, Lyra appears out of nowhere in a matching, bright golden flash, eyes wide. “Oh, shoot. Um…” Then she seems to notice Bonbon, and gives a small jump. “Oh, Bonbon! How long ago did…?”

Bonbon raises an eyebrow at her. “I walked in right before you made that last stack of pages,” she states. “Was it just me, or were you actually running out of magic?”

Lyra nods. “Yep! Takes a lot of power to synthesize paper, even with my advantage, but that spell came in real handy when I ran out.”

“I understand you’re trying to find the limits of, ah, Ginny, right?” She glances down at Ginny, who nods. “Of her unique talent?”

Lyra nods. “Yep. It’s like she’s got unlimited subconscious processing power, and the ability to consciously command it.”

Bonbon nods slowly “Uh-huh.”

“Compounded with memory like mine.”

Bonbon raises an eyebrow. “Well, I daresay we know what to offer her,” she states. “But we can take care of that in a minute. What did that last one do?”

“Oh? Thanks to her, I’ve finally perfected the Papa Echo. However, there seems to have been one little… ahh, side effect.”

Bonbon’s eyebrow climbs a little higher. “Side effect? Like what?”

Lyra doesn’t reach for her walkie, or activate it, and speaks softly. “Alpha Oscar One.”

Bonbon facepalms. “Of course it did.” Then she looks up. “Any chance that happened to the Papa Tangoes as well?”

Lyra shakes her head. “Nah, we woulda noticed if Silver had… uh, that, when she visited. And we know that it hadn’t happened to Index Eye when she joined us, nor has she reported it, right?”

Bonbon nods. “True. Must be because our matrices are so much stronger to begin with.”

Lyra shakes her head again. “No, that’s not it- I think it’s because it takes so much more power- in addition to utilizing my unique advantage- to penetrate the Equestrian matrix to the required depth.”

“Ahh. Well, see to it that the Papa Echo is locked in the Vault, then we’ll discuss what to do next in, what, an hour? Sierra Alpha.”

Lyra tilts her head. “Yeah, I can do that in an hour, no biggie. Especially with the Alpha Oscar, that’ll probably make it easy.” She glances down at Ginny, who is staring confusedly between the two of them, and back up at Bonbon. “You wanna offer it while I’m gone, or no?”

Bonbon shrugs. “Sure, why not?”

“Okay,” Lyra continues, before turning to Ginny. “Ginny, meet Bonbon, the mission leader for the Royal Equestrian Secret Service of which I am part.” She taps her radios. “She’ll have a couple questions for you- then I’ll be back soon.” She steps back to the Papa Echo book, picks it up, and vanishes into thin air.

“Uh…” Ginny mutters, seeming uncertain.

Bonbon steps around to and sits on the chair Lyra had been using. “Well, Ginny, it’s nice to meet you,” she begins, offering her hand.

Ginny seems confused. “Um… Nice to meet you too?” she asks, taking it gingerly.

“So then,” Bonbon states, getting into her business tone, and fixes Ginny firmly with her gaze. “How would you like to join the RESS?”

PreviousChapters Next