• Published 19th Apr 2019
  • 4,021 Views, 1,641 Comments

The Gate - computerneek



After a portal is opened between worlds, a series of letter-bearing owls passes through it. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
32
 1,641
 4,021

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8

Eventually, the ceiling has darkened to show the deep, starry black of night and more than a few students stomachs have begun growling when the end of the line finally arrives, and “Zest, Zero” goes to Hufflepuff. It’s at this point that Lyra finally returns the scroll to Professor McGonagall with a bow, and heads for the Gryffindor table herself. Everyone had paused again for “Potter, Harry” when that came up, though there had been no bowing nor swords, just exactly what Professor McGonagall had been doing.

And of course, a repeated call of “We Got Potter!” from the Weasley twins.


“Hello everyone!” Lyra greets cheerfully, trotting up to take her seat at the Gryffindor table, a couple seats away from Harry but right next to the Weasley twins. Most of the non-Equestrians had clumped together. “How’s the food?”

“The food?” Percy asks. He opens his mouth to say more, but she continues without him.

“Yeah, it’s imaginary. How is it?”

“Uh…” Harry mutters, looking at his plate.

“Awesome,” Fred declares, quickly stuffing the tip of his empty fork into his mouth and making as if he had just taken a massive bite of something.

“Papa tango.”

She blinks, one hand flashing up to her mic to depress the button. “Already?” she asks.

Hermione takes one look. “You know that won’t work here, right?” she asks.

“No,” she promptly answers, even as the answer comes back over her definitely working headset.

“Yep, three of them.”

“Three of them?” she states into the mic. “And the term hasn’t even started yet?”

“Well it won’t,” Hermione scowls. “Electricity goes haywire here. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History.”

“Which was written by wizards that haven’t a clue what electricity is,” Lyra answers shortly as she waits for her reply again. “I bet they were thinking about lightning. Which is electricity, and doesn’t behave any differently at Hogwarts than anywhere else.”

“Yep, one primary and two lackeys. Remember the Dodger?”

She chuckles, and depresses the button. “Yeah.” They’d nicknamed the youngest Malfoy ‘dodger’ after he’d dodged his father at the Leaky Cauldron. She hadn’t gotten a good look at him, though- so none of her people know what his real name is.

Or at least, knew. She’d been up when “Malfoy, Draco” was sorted into Slytherin.

“That’s the primary.”

Hermione is staring at her, the gears working visibly in her brain.

“What is that, anyways?” Fred asks her, pointing at the mic. “I don’t remember seeing it in Diagon Alley.”

“A very good question,” she answers, before leaning forwards to look at both twins. “So, Gred and Forge, you up for a prank?”

“Uh-oh,” Ron mutters.

“Sounds like a plan,” George answers.

Percy groans.

“So who, what, where, and when?” Fred asks.

“I-know-who, not sure yet, donno, and in a few days once we figure out both of the above.”

“That’s… disconcerting,” Hermione states.

George blinks. “Specifics?”

She smiles. “Food now, planning later. I’ve gotta work on my technique for a couple days anyways.”


“That’s the primary.”

Moondancer lets out a sigh. She had been out shadowing a bully when the kid they’d christened the ‘dodger’ had been first spotted; she doesn’t know who he is, aside from a general description she was given later. Judging by who had announced the ‘dodger’ to be a papa tango, he went to Slytherin- and knowing Lyra…

As usual, she disapproves of the energetic mare’s approach. Had she herself been the one doing that research, she would have waited and brought it up to Professor McGonagall or Professor Dumbledore- or, since she was sorted to Ravenclaw, Professor Flitwick. She would have presented the fully worked-out solution to the problem, proposed a follow-up, and negotiated an experiment- both the nature of the experiment… and who to do it on. With the subject’s agreement, of course. If she couldn’t work out the solution first, she’d do as much as she could- then go to one of the Professors to get their input, perhaps negotiate for a planned time when she could take whatever scans or readings she needed to finish.

But she’s not doing that research.

No; Lyra’s the only one that understands what it’s all about. She’d had the minty mare explain, but had been forced to admit she didn’t understand a word of it- and, in the end, forced to agree that the crazy musician would be the best pony to continue that research.

At least Twilight isn’t involved. That mare might have accidentally killed somepony in the attempt, but unlike the purple laboratory disaster, Lyra keeps her head on straight at all times- even with as energetic as she is- and safety is her number one priority, always.

She glances up at the head table in time to spot Professor Dumbledore spreading his arms to the Great Hall. “Welcome,” he begins. “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts. Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And, here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you.” Then he sits down.

“Does… Does that mean anything?” the girl that had sat next to her while she’d been internally cataloguing who was sorted where, and associating names with faces- “Turpin, Lisa”- asks.

She glances back; yes, Lisa is talking to her. “Sounds like names to me,” she answers. “A bit strange, but not inconceivable.” She glances down at the table, sensing the spellwork coming to completion on the same, and selects something at random to offer the girl. “Potatoes?”


“Somethin’ wrong?” Applejack asks the boy that sat beside her shortly after Lyra started her song and dance.

He looks up at her. “Um- no?” he begins.

She raises an eyebrow. She’d missed the signs when he arrived; he’d just been staring up at the ongoing sorting, and applauding for Princess Luna, ever since he arrived. But now, his nervous glances up and down the table while he only gets food from the closest platters to him looks very much like somepony too nervous to say anything.

And, even without her gift for lie detection, his refusal sounded very much like Twilight does when she denies being worried about a major test.

“Somethin’s botherin’ yah, Ah can tell,” she states, resting an arm over his shoulders. Lyra had warned her- and all the other Equestrians- of all the Equestrian behaviors that simply don’t in this world, and this is one of them- but she can feel he needs it. “What is it?”

He doesn’t even seem to recognize the gesture, instinctively- and unthinkingly- leaning into her. An effect of her harmony magic Lyra had warned her to be careful with- but had not said to avoid. “My dad’s going to kill me,” he mutters.

She raises an eyebrow, and hugs him gently. “Not literally, Ah hope?”

He snorts. “That… That might actually be preferable.”

“Well, what’s the problem?”

“Uh… Well, he tells me Hufflepuff is a whole lot of duffers. Wanted me in Slytherin.”

She snorts. “Well, Hufflepuff ain’t a bunch o’ duffers if Ah landed here. Want me to come with to convince him?”

“How is it not?” he asks. “What makes a Hufflepuff… well, not a duffer?”

She fills her lungs, opening her mouth- then stops, closing it, and casting her gaze up and down the table. “We’re… Uh…” She glances at the Equestrian that sat on his other side. “Help me, Minuette.”

The girl glances up, and smiles. “Sure, Applejack. Wayne, well… Hufflepuff is a great house to be in. I’m honored to be here, actually.”

“What?” he asks. “But-! Aren’t hufflepuffs… Well, pussies?”

Minuette lets out a good laugh. “Not even close!

“For one, Hufflepuffs are very hard workers. Slytherins may be powerful, but all that power is only available as a surge. A Hufflepuff can maintain a far higher sustained power output for far longer- be it magical or physical- than any other house. For example, Applejack, how long does it take for you and Big Mac to harvest every apple on the farm, without help?”

Wayne looks back at Applejack, blinking.

“Ah,” Applejack mumbles, thinking. “It took ‘bout a week and a half last time.”

Minuette smiles. “Then, how much of that time was spent working?”

“We were carrying buckets of apples back to the barn from dawn ‘till dusk each day.”

His jaw drops.

Minuette chuckles. “Not just anyone can do quite that much sustained work- Applejack and Big Mac have had time to practice and train for it- but no Slytherin could ever do that, even if they trained and tried. They simply don’t have the endurance. We do, and we’re not afraid to use it.

“For two, Hufflepuffs are patient. That comes in bigtime with music- or, say, potionmaking. Say, Applejack- how long is Granny Smith willing to wait on the porch for you to get home?”

Applejack puts a hand to her chin. “Well, when we had that business with Starlight’s town, she stayed up and waited for three nights in a row.” Scowl. “She mighta gone to bed if Ah’d warned her we were going on a ‘nother adventure.”

“What-!?”

Chuckle. “Another edge case- Granny is more patient even than most Hufflepuffs- but no Gryffindor would wait even half that long. I mean, it takes the Crusaders- they went to Gryffindor- what, five minutes? To get bored.”

Applejack snorts. “Not even that. Five seconds might be pushing it.”

Wayne almost giggles.

“And last but not least, Hufflepuffs are the most reliable. Between our unwavering loyalty and solid honesty, if we say we’re gonna do something, we’re going to do it. And we won’t leave you hanging.” Chuckle. “Wanna tell him about that time Big Mac broke his leg in time for Applebucking season?”

Applejack puts a hand to her face, turning away with a blush. “Ahh… Ah’d rather not. Things… didn’t exactly go too well. But Ah did what Ah said I would, no mattah what!”

“So, I believe we can agree Hufflepuff is a great house to be in, right?”

Wayne smiles back at her, reaching his arms around their shoulders to hug them both simultaneously. “Yeah,” he states. “Hufflepuff is awesome!”

Then he blinks, blushes like a tomato, and quickly withdraws his arms, causing both girls to laugh. And hug him in return.

Author's Note:

So, I have to ask...

Rainbow's in Gryffindor, Applejack in Hufflepuff (they're marked for both honesty and hard work, and if Applejack isn't both of those, I'll eat my laptop), the Crusaders in Gryffindor (because, you know, they're even MORE Gryffindor than the Gryffindors)... I've made a couple of other assignments with background ponies (Moondancer to Ravenclaw as Twilight's more sedate study buddy, Minuette to Hufflepuff because I have no idea what her canon/fanon personality is so I'm going off the patience of a musician), but I'm curious- especially with the rest of the Mane 6...

Which house do you think who should go to?

And no, the Mane 6 (except Rainbow and AJ) aren't the only ones in the air- other ponies, like Starlight, may (or may not) be at Hogwarts as well... and in need of house assignments.

Both of the British students named- Lisa Turpin in Ravenclaw, and Wayne Hopkins in Hufflepuff- are official, cannon characters... that are either mentioned in name only or never mentioned in the books. Lisa was mentioned only once in the series, book one- "Turpin, Lisa became a Ravenclaw"... Wayne wasn't mentioned in the books, only (according to the HP wiki, at least) as a mention in Pottermore- which I haven't read and am not considering canon for my story. As such, they're both blank-slate characters I've seized upon. The only difference from what I've found on the wiki is that here, Wayne is pure-blood (According to the wiki, he's a half-blood).

PreviousChapters Next