• Published 7th Aug 2012
  • 7,446 Views, 164 Comments

Beautiful Freak - Damocles23



What happens when unrequited love, is too much for somepony's heart to handle? Pinkie knows...

  • ...
9
 164
 7,446

For Dashie...

Beautiful Freak

By Damocles23

Dear Dashie,

If you’re reading this it means you must’ve found my letter on your pillow and I’ve already broken your heart.

Sorry If this letter is such a mess, but I’m writing at the edge of my seat and the train movement isn’t helping. I don’t have much time and there are so many things I want to say to you, so many things I wanted to share with you and I don’t know if I can fit them on few pieces of paper, but at least I’ll try. At worst you can always have some laughs from my rambling, right? I like to think that I’ll make you laugh one last time…

You may have noticed that I’m not with you or the other girls. I wasn’t even at the ceremony and you barely saw me in the train. You’ll be probably asking why. It’s not like I vanished into thin air from the hotel in Canterlot. The truth is, I had this planned for a long time, ever since I heard the big news. I am sorry if I ruined your greatest day, but I can’t go on like this.

I’m leaving Ponyville…And I’ll never come back. Not if things stay this way, and I’m nopony to change them. And I certainly can’t do much if I stay this way. This time I’m not strong enough…

Not even the Cakes know where I’m really going, nor the other girls. Even I don’t know where I’m going . . .

I just want to go far from here, to a place under no sky. So I won’t always think about you…I did that for so much time that my heart started to bleed.

I am broken. Believe me Dashie, ever since I met you the sky never seemed so beautiful . . . even when it was hidden by dark clouds.

You cleared it for me.

Before you get angry, I guess I should explain everything to you. Or to whomever is reading this because I can’t sure if you’re the one who found it, but if you’re my Dashie, you deserve the truth:

The reason I’m leaving is because…

I Love You.

I know it seems sudden and random and out of nowhere, but believe me when I say that it surprised me too. And this is not a prank, so stop looking over your shoulder; I’m not going to pop up and yell SURPRISE or something like that. I wish it was a prank as well . . .

But this is not a joke. It’s just the truth.

I Love You.

I always did and I always will. Until Celestia’s Sun goes out and the Stars fall from the sky . . . And even after that . . .

I don’t know when it started. Maybe there was no start or a finish, not for something like what I felt about you. It’s too big to confine it in silly concepts like “beginning” or “end.” Right now, I can’t picture one moment of my life without those seven colors. I don’t remember ever being happy without those seven little colors . . . who knows? Maybe I was happy before.

It doesn’t matter. It can’t compare to what you have given me.

It used to be so simple.

I would watch you from the ground, admiring your spins and twirls in the air, tracing elegant circles and trajectories that left me breathless. It used to be enough, watching you from far, reveling in your grace and your beauty.

I needed nothing else. Being near you sufficed to still my heart.

Until the day that it was no longer enough. I needed to get closer to you, even though I lacked magic or wings. There’s a reason behind all my strange contraptions. I still giggle remembering your face when you saw the trampoline and the balloons! Not even gravity could keep me from you.

Just watching you and being with you was one of the greatest pleasures of my life . . .

Knowing you better I noticed that my best friend was also one of the most reliable and brave ponies that ever sailed the skies of Equestria:

Rarity falling to a certain death due to her own hubris? You were there.

A foal in a well, crying for help? You were there.

An erratic pink pony having a nervous breakdown on her birthday? You were there . . .

Do you remember my birthday, Dashie? Of course you do . . . Nopony else knows what happened that day; its a secret kept by you and I. My darkest hour . . . everything I believed, my whole life, looked meaningless and false. I never felt so alone. Only the voices remained, whispering bleak nourishment and vengeful promises.

There was only darkness.

And like a blazing ray of sun, you pierced the miasma of that day. I don’t know if you did it because you cared for me in a special way, or maybe because you were the right one for drawing me out of my cage, but you came for me. Even if the rest of the day was happy, my weakness returned to haunt me at night. I had thought that it was because I had to rely on you.

Now I know I was wrong: I’ve never felt weak around you. The total opposite, actually.

You showed up in my time of need to show me the truth and gave me the strength to react. As time went by, I became much happier, and found a strength I didn’t know I possessed. That day I knew I couldn’t have asked for a better friend. Maybe, afterwards, the flame that drove me to spread joy and happiness to everypony rekindled into a passionate inferno.

Maybe because it was you who gave me back the will to smile.

Even in the little things, you’re a hero. A true hero . . . except when you’re so full of yourself, but that’s part of your charm!

Then tomorrow came.

You know the kind of day that starts off simple and harmless, but in the end you see so many layers of meaning, all caused by one tiny detail that spins your life upside down?

This was one.

I really didn’t know about that storm. One day I was just there, taking a stroll and thinking happily of my own business, until . . . BAM!

I feel one drop of rain on my coat . . .

Two drop of rains on my coat . . . Three drops . . .Four drops . . .

Thousands of drops! All over me!

In a few seconds I was soaked, cold and with nopony to help or at least lend me an umbrella. The only thing I knew was that I was alone under the rain. I could have caught a cold or worse! Not to mention the roaring thunder and lightning strikes that tore apart the sky.
Until a beautiful blue pegasus came to my rescue…

The rain stops and warm sunlight bathes me, tracing its soft touch along my mane. When I lifted my head to see what happened I immediately saw you, taking a peek from a little gap you opened in the cloud-bank. You looked so concerned and cute! And you looked cute even you were shouting at me from up there, asking me what the hay was I doing in the middle of a storm! I answered that I just didn’t know of the storm and I should have because my best friend is on the weather team and I would’ve remembered if you’d told me. And then, you remarked that you had told me already! Six times in a week! And you told the other girls in advance because you wanted to be sure that nopony got completely soaked because you weren’t there to tell them about the storm! I can be such a featherhead, sometimes…

And just what my favorite Pegasus did after that epic display of absentmindedness?

You opened a passage in the cloud-bank! A long lane of light that traced a path through the ground, so I couldn’t get lost in the rain and the sun’s glow could dry me off a little bit. Of course, you told me to think nothing of it, that you were just doing a favor to a friend and you hoped you wouldn’t get in trouble just to give a hoof to your random Pinkie Pie. And the cutest thing about it? You shaped the trail in the clouds to look like a smiley face! Complete with a tiny pair of holes for eyes, from one of which you were waving at me, smiling!

You always do these wonderful things and for you it’s just routine.

When I finally came home, my eyes were opened and something in my tiny, curly pink head changed forever. I’ve never liked the Sun as much as that day . . . and I felt for my beautiful friend that delivered it to me something more than friendship . . . and believe me when I say you’re beautiful, Dashie.

You’re the most beautiful pony I have ever seen, blessed with beauty, strength and charm.

Sometimes, when I looked myself in the mirror I was jealous of you: a body so sleek and yet muscular, crafted to be the fastest thing alive, a mane that instead of just choosing one color took all of them for itself.
Me?

I’m so plain that I can consider myself lucky if I’ve never gotten fat after a lifetime of sweets.

If our life were a painting, you would be the centerpiece, a stunning embodiment of everything that is good and pure under Celestia’s Mighty Sun. Even a Goddess of your own. I always thought that you were prettier than the Princess Herself…

Me? I was just some faded pink blur in the background that only made your beauty stand out more.

That’s what I always was: a background event.

I’m comic relief, not girlfriend material . . .

I’ve touched the lives of many ponies (and donkeys and dragons…), but only for a moment. I’m a brief candle that can lighten up your day with a brief smile and a quick laugh. Too cheap and impermanent to be something more than this. Surely not enough for what I wanted to be with you . . .

Because … you are my Sun! And a candle can’t outshine the Sun. And her light is not even worthy to stand beside you.

But that’s where you always wanted me.

At your side. You always wanted me at your side because I keep forgetting that the weirdo that I am is also the one that you’re proud of calling friend.

But too much love can hurt you and too much light can blind you.

And feeling so much alive while being with you, can also show you how inadequate and undeserving you are…

It started out small enough, only to get bigger and bigger: watching a fun movie together, a good afternoon of pranking, a tiny gesture of affection, or just passing some time with me because you wanted to have fun. And you always said I was so much fun! Even if there were days I could get really annoying and weird, you and the others always came back for me.

You always came back for me!

At first I regarded it some kind of crazy idea. But I started to see something more in your smile. Your voice never sounded so musical, your mane never looked so luscious and the Sun never shined as much, unless you did the cleanup. It was like I wasn’t searching your approval or your company not because I wanted to be your friend, but because I wanted you to see me as something more. I felt prettier around you, and so sure of myself. Stronger than I’d ever been before.

The thought of you became a rush of energy, the reasons I wanted to get up in the morning. It was like that every time I saw you I felt exactly the same when I saw your rainbow. I never felt so much…me-like in those days.

Then one fateful night I saw the truth, and the words just appeared before me:

I’m in love with Rainbow Dash.

I realized I was madly in love with you. Completely. Desperately. In love with you.

And this scared me.

It scared me because I considered myself lucky having you as a close friend. But being in love with you?!

“You must be kidding” I said to my heart.

Yet he was really super serious this time, Dashie! I’m not somepony who can handle something delicate like a relationship, especially one with you . . . I hold you in such high regard that I can’t find a way to feel worthy. But a part of me, a big part of me, wanted this to make it work.

I wanted to have my chance with you.

That’s why I was a lot nicer to you and you always had a free treat from Sugarcube Corner and you got that lifetime supply of parties. But the biggest one of them was when I finally organized that private audition with Soarin and Spitfire: Just the three of you, so that my favorite Pegasus could finally show them what she was made of.

And no, I’m not telling you how I’ve managed to find them all alone on Cloudsdale, let alone convince them. I like having some secrets…

You wanted to thank me and insisted on a picnic on your favorite hill. You said that it was the least you could’ve done. And you remember what I said up there? To think nothing of it, that I was just doing a favor to a friend and I hoped I wouldn’t get in trouble just to give a hoof to my favorite pegasus in the whole wide world! You gripped me in a hug and said that I was your best friend.

And my heart leaped.

I thought I had some hope and maybe you would’ve grown closer to me. My attempts at wooing were foalish, yes, a bit materialistic, but they were sincere. It all felt so real. Maybe even more than real. Everything was actually better when I was you. The sky looked brighter, sugar was sweeter and everything felt so glorious and beautiful! And, who knows, maybe you felt something different for me those days. But there was that voice in me . . . one that never left me since my birthday.

It said that this perfect moment couldn’t last.

I shushed it, telling it that if I had my Dashie everything would be alright. For a while, I was right. I asked you out more often and the time we spent together was the best of my life. Well, I didn’t ask you out properly, mostly because I still didn’t have the courage. From your point of view it was more like two friends hanging out. I liked the fact that I was basically dating you without you knowing. It wasn’t much different from a real date, you even kissed me on the cheek once!

I still don’t know what possessed you to do that, but when I asked it you pouted and blushed, saying that you still wanted to thank me properly for the audition and that it didn’t mean anything. I loved the fact that you still acted like a tough girl even while being cute…

And then you joined the Wonderbolts.

That day I knew that all good thing must come to an end wasn’t just a proverb written by some jerk . . .

It was a dream so simple and beautiful, and, as time went by, it seemed so hard to fulfill. But you never surrendered, you always practiced so hard, and strived even harder after you went to training camp.

We started to see each other less and less, to the point that you sometimes disappeared for days, only to return and collapse exhausted on the floor of somepony’s home.

When you crashed at my place, it was quite a scare! I still remember the shriek Mrs. Cake gave at seeing a half-dead pegasus on the floor of Sugarcube’s Corner. Mr. Cake was about to call the Guards! Fortunately, I recognized you even under the grime and the dust. . . By the end of the day I was half-dead too, for having to take care of both you and twins!

But you couldn’t go on like that, nopony could have. I wanted to stop you . . . all the girls wanted to stop you. But I could see the fire in your eyes, that unbreakable spirit that knew victory was at hand.

I had to allow you to continue, even if it shattered my soul and tore asunder my heart . . .

I was the one who convinced the others to encourage you instead of telling you to give up. I told them that you deserved this chance, if only because I wanted you to realize your dream. I was prepared to accept all responsibility if you failed Dashie; if you had gone down I would have fallen right beside you. After all, I was the one who started all of this.

We fought that day.

Terribly.

For hours.

I made Fluttershy cry, and Twilight was about to slam me with a magic fist . . .

I don’t think anypony believed you really could’ve done it. Not because we didn’t trust your determination or your natural talent, but because we believed that nothing, nothing, was worth the pain you had to endure.

But I believed in you and I wanted to give you this final chance, and with time and patience, I managed to convince the other girls.

We were still reluctant . . . even I was reluctant . . . but now that you had everypony’s support you grew stronger. More confident than you’d ever been.

I made you stronger Dashie.

For once, I did that. Yet the spotlight was yours, and yours alone. My part in this play was small, insignificant; mine was a performance that would not be remembered by the end of the night.

And after all this, you know why I was the only one who didn’t show up at the ceremony? And the big welcoming party after that?

To tell you the truth I was there.

I was always there for you; hidden under the stadium’s bleachers the whole time, watching you from afar. Basking in your glory one last time, before leaving forever. I had to be there, even if I didn’t want to show up because . . . I didn’t want you to see my tear streaked puffy eyes.

I was crying because I was so happy for you!

I was a wrecked, blubbering, ridiculous mess, watching my Dashie conquer all of her dreams and bring color to this lifeless world with your talent. You shone of your own light up there.

You were simply magnificent.

I wanted to come out and run into your forelegs, in full view of everypony, to give you a big hug and say how proud of you I was…but if I saw you from that close, so stunning and proud, clad in your brand new Wonderbolts uniform and looking so ecstatic, so full of joy . . .

. . . I would have ruined your day with my foalish blubbering.

I know very well that there is no place for tears at parties, especially when you are the guest of honor. I knew it was over and I had to face tomorrow.

I wanted to disappear from your life at least with some grace, without some kind of long, tragic, drawn out goodbye. I thought that you’d have suffered less like this. Now, I’ll never know how you feel about it…

When I saw you like that I finally understood: That was the moment that you were above and beyond my grasp. I don’t deserve you and I never did.

Today we all finally grew up . . .

Except for me.

You don’t need me anymore…

You told me I was your best friend and helped you achieve your goal. That was my cue for getting off the stage, retire to the shadows and disappear with a smile on my face and a silly song in my heart.

I wasn’t needed anymore.

At that point I wouldn’t dare to stand in your way. I want you to follow your own path, even if it means walking it without a silly pink pony by your side.

I would only slow you down.

But even if we challenged the fate’s design and embraced each others love, what I could offer you?

Nothing, Dashie.

My role in this story is finished . . . and I didn’t get the girl. You don’t need me, there's nothing this silly screw up can offer you.

I’m just . . . me.

Plain, boring ol Pinkie.

What would that look like? Rainbow Dash The Wonderbolt and Pinkie Pie the chaotic baker?

Please, Dashie, we both know that is never going to work. You deserve better . . .

I’m just a freak . . . you can call me whatever you want, but ‘marefriend’ will never be one of them. I’m too weird, too clingy for being the one you need in the time of distress. Too erratic even for being somepony you want to hold at the end of one hard day. I’m just a mess . . .

You’ve made me strong, stronger than I could’ve ever imagined, but I lied to you before.

I have a weakness, I can’t love you as much as you deserve.

Not in the way you need.

It’s a shortcoming I will never forgive, never surpass . . .

I thought that watching you from afar would be sufficient, but now . . . now I can’t stand it anymore. I wanted to leave before the pony that gave me so much joy drowned me in my sorrow.

I didn’t want to remember you like that.

Maybe I don’t need to leave after all.

Being a Wonderbolt you’d have to go on tour for a very long time. Maybe you’d have to leave Ponyville forever and I’d see you less and less . . . and with time the memories would fade away. My love for you would fade away . . . and you could go on with your career, perhaps recalling me with some fondness here and there, and maybe, just maybe, give a special place to your weirdo friend.

Maybe passing by once a year for a show or two, with me watching you from the shadows like always, until I found the strength to finally greet an old friend.

No.

It would’ve hurt.

A lot.

But time could have healed my wounds. If this was everything I could aspire for, I would have gladly accepted it. Your happiness was everything that mattered to me.

If only it was that easy, Dashie . . .

I can’t turn around without seeing your shadow haunting me. You’re such an important part of my life: I see you in the clouds and the rain, I see you in the face of little Scootaloo who has taken up flying inspired by you, I see you in my own smile because you were the one who taught me to . . . before this year’s Winter Wrap Up I made so many snow ponies . . . and all of them ended up looking like you . . .

And so, I have to say goodbye.

I hope that you find it in your heart to forgive me and not despise your crazy friend. If it’s not too much, I hope that sometimes you’ll think of me with just a smile and a snarky remark, like you always did. I hope that the you’ll be happy and, who knows, maybe you’ll find somepony who is actually ready for you, somepony that loves you as I never could.

Your Best Friend (But not really) and the one that loved you so much,

Pinkie Pie


She waits at the station. The Canterlot Castle dominates her vision, every feature glaring down at her from high atop the mountain.

The train whistles, it’s near.

She looks at the ponies gathered around her, searching every face for a reason to stay just a moment longer.

Too late. Its over.

She mutters one last goodbye between herself, the lonely rainslick floorboards of the station, and to the pony that she held close so dearly.

Her mane is flat, her face hidden by the silken curtain. It won’t be much longer. She doesn’t dare look back, afraid that her past will reach out and grab her, sucking her back into that dark, watery despair.

She stands firmly on her hooves.

The whistle gets closer. This is it, she thinks, I can’t turn back now.

A flutter of wings behind her. A much too familiar flutter of wings.

She gasps.

“How did you find me?” she says to the looming presence behind her.

“If you wanted to leave, this was the only place to look,” a voice pants out, her breath coming in hot, sticky globs.

She hears a hoof step forward.

“Stop! Don’t come any closer!” She screams.

“Why?”

“Because if you do . . .I need to do this Dashie,” she steels her teeth, “I need to.”

“I don’t want to . . .” the Pegasus takes another step forward. “I don’t want you to leave!”

“Did you read my letter?” A simple question, asked in a pure tone.

“Yes. And once I finished it, I immediately came here.”

“Then you know . . . why.” She almost finds the strength to turn. Almost…

“You said that you love me! You said that I mean so much to you! Why are you doing this to me?!” she roars, Pinkie feeling the pegasuses anger sputtering on the back of her neck.

“I wrote everything you needed you need to know.”

“I don’t care!” A sharp woosh splits the air and a pair of strong hooves crush her in an embrace. ”Wherever you’re going . . take me with you! I don’t care what you think of yourself! Just . . . take me with you!”

"D-Dashie . . ." She turns and sobs desperately in the pegasus’s chest. "You can't come with me . . . the Wonderbolts . . ."

"Then you stay here with me. It's easier that way." A soft smile appears on her face.

"I'm just . . . not good enough . . . for you! I can't stay with you!"

"You don't know that! You're nopony to say that!" She starts to gently stroke Pinkie's mane. "Stupid Pinkie Pie! Why you didn't tell me anything?"

She buries herself into Dash's chest deeper. "Because I don't deserve you . . ."

"I don't care." Dash wraps her wings around the pink pony. "The only thing I care about . . . is you! A pony that said all those wonderful things . . . that cares for me so much . . . that means the world to me for what she did . . ." she gently kisses Pinkie's forehead, ". . . is the right one for me!"

"But, I'm . . ." The pink pony is at loss of words.

"You said that you love me, that I am your Sun . . ." she cuts Pinkie off, giving her another little kiss on the nose. "Nopony ever said that to me. Nopony was ever this kind to me. And I'm sure as Tartarus that nopony ever held me in such a high regard!" She gives her a small kiss on the lips. "How can you leave me if you love so much?"

Pinkie regains her composure, despite every fiber of her being screaming to kiss Dash back. It's getting harder to leave by the minute . . .

"I can't work this out Dashie . . . just look what happened now! I'm just too scared . . ."

Dash’s face glows with a gentle smile.

"Then smile. You always smile when you see something scary. That's the first thing you taught me . . ." she deepens her hug, pulling the pink pony closer with a wing. "Don't I always make you smile?"

And Pinkie smiles a soft, hopeful smile. "But . . ." she tries to say. Dash slowly puts her hoof on her mouth.

"Sshh . . . no more words. No more excuses. Just be the wonderful pony that you have always been. I don't need more."

Pinkie sniffles, nuzzling Dash's chest.

"You said that you can't work this out . . ." Dash continues, "but we can!"

"We?"

"Yes . . . you don't have to hide anymore. I'm here for you, like I've always been, and always will be..."

"You're ok about . . . me? Even after all this?"

"I like you just the way you are, even more after you told me the truth." She cups Pinkie's face in her hooves. "If you're by my side, then I'm happy. You don't have to give me anything that you don't have already . . ."

"I love you, Dashie . . ."

"I know. And I wouldn’t have it any other way . . ."

Their lips meet, and Pinkie finally knows her place.

She feels the light, the same light she always felt with Dash.

But this time she's not scared. This time she doesn't feel unworthy. Her eyes are opened.

This time she's exactly where she wants to be.

With her love . . .

She doesn't know what the future holds for them, but now that she is with Dash, she won't be scared anymore.

If there is one thing she is sure of, it is this: that she will love Rainbow Dash, the Wonderbolt, until Celestia’s Sun goes out and the Stars fall from the sky.

The End