• Published 14th Aug 2019
  • 1,487 Views, 565 Comments

8 Magic Nights - The Blue EM2



It's a World of Joy, it's a World of Fears, it's a World of Spontaneous TFs...

  • ...
14
 565
 1,487

Night 6: Shut up and Drive

Breakfast had been a most average affair, as by this point the diet of pancakes, bacon, and waffles was getting not only somewhat repetitive, it was also becoming somewhat dull. Variety is, as they say, the spice of life, and although they had received variety in the sense of who they ended up as each day, it was not being repeated in the breakfast menu. I mean, seriously, where is the fresh fruit, or the salmon even? Katrina had heard from Tom that in Britain, people sometimes threw fits over the fact there was no salmon on the menu. Truly ridiculous, if you asked her. Weren't you supposed to eat salmon in the evening, anyways?

Apart from all that, Jimmy had already disappeared off to Hollywood Studios quite suddenly, saying something about avoiding the sun.

"What is he talking about?" Katrina asked, as she glanced over at Tom, who in turn was glancing at his watch.

"Apparently," Tom replied, "one time the sun in Manteo caused him to change into Sunshine Smiles, whoever that is."

"Background character?" Katrina suggested, before going back to her food.

"You're telling me," Tom sighed. "One write up of the occasion was very poorly received, with those thinking it was a fanfiction saying it had no plot and implausible characters. Have they ever read My Immortal?"

"What's that?" Katrina asked.

"Only the worst fanfiction ever written," Tom explained. "It's Harry Potter, which as I'm not a fan of it makes for even more of a turn off, but it is notorious for its nonsensical, incomprehensible plot, frequent random diversions from the story, a ridiculous number of sub plots that contribute absolutely nothing to the main story, a protagonist who is the definition of Mary Sue-"

"I know a Mary Sue in Topeka," Katrina interrupted. "Though probably not the one you're thinking of!"

"I hope so. Anyways, the protagonist is the definition of a Mary Sue, the story needlessly describes the clothes the character's clothes, most of which are bought from Hot Topic, and everybody is out of character. Horribly, horribly out of character. Dumbledore uses the F word, for crying out loud! Not to mention that the grammar is terrible. There's one passage where a character catches another 'masticating'. Nice to see them exercising their jaw muscles!"

"I assume they meant something else," Katrina sighed, before going back to her cereal. This was why she always made sure to send her writing via a proof reader to catch such problems and implausibilities, and to ensure that said problems and implausibilities were caught. And in doing so, they never made it to the page. "I'm off to Epcot today, for Test Track."

"Have fun," Tom smiled. "But you may want to tie your hair back. The G force on that ride is wild, not to mention the speeds you get up to. 64.9 miles an hour!"

"That's about as fast as you drive on an Interstate," Katrina said dryly, before taking a quick drink.

"But not through such tight turns!" Tom exclaimed.


Katrina walked through Epcot again for what would be the last time, glancing about at Spaceship Earth and the Innoventions building, which was the host for the Electric Umbrella restaurant, where she had eaten (as Spitfire) a few days earlier. Boy had that turned heads! Not only had she been questioned about what she was doing there (and got a Forces discount) she had been wolf whistled a few times, something she found extremely annoying as she wasn't particularly looking for anybody at this point in time. But that was the past, and this is the present. And the future is yet to come. After all, 'There's a Great big, Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day.' That's enough Sherman Brothers, back to the story for a change.

Katrina saw Test Track looming before her, opposite the entrance for Mission: SPACE where she had been a few days earlier. This ride had originally opened as World of Motion, which had opened with the park in 1982 and closed in 1996. Test Track arrived in 1999, sponsored by General Motors, and depicted a wild ride through a car garage, complete with oil smells, burnt tires, and roaring engines. However, when General Motors went bust in 2011 and Chevrolet took over the sponsorship, the ride was extensively rebuilt to receive a new story and theme. Katrina was looking forward to seeing what this new story was, when suddenly she felt off.

"This is the worst possible time to need to vomit!" she exclaimed, running off in the direction of a WC and bolting the door. Just as suddenly as the lurch in her gut had appeared, it vanished, and she stood up and turned around- to see her shoes change into laced up high top boots, similar to what a sports player would wear in basketball games.

"Well, here we go again," she muttered, as her socks slid up her legs to join the tops of the boots, turning the colours of the rainbow in alternating colours, with blue, yellow, and red at the top. Her boots turned blue with white toecaps, and her pants shrank back up her legs, as they usually did now, before splitting into a pair of sports shorts with a skirt on top (which looked really strange as both were a pale cream colour, which to the natural observer was very odd indeed). The shorts turned black whilst the zip and button vanished from the skirt, which now dropped to her knees, and turned two different shades of pink and white. Katrina was astonished as to how close fitting it was, as surely that would be impractical on a sports ground. Then she gained a clue as to who this was. "Rainbow Dash?"

Her blue shirt changed to white, with black trim running around her neck in addition to an emblem of a rainbow coloured lightning bolt energing from a white cloud, and a blue jacket formed on top of her shirt, with a collar that stuck up at the back, presumably to protect the back of her neck from the sunlight.

Her body soon followed up on the fun, with her hair growing longer until it was halfway down her back. A huge fringe flopped forward into her eyes and over her forehead, and her hair changed colour into a prismatic mess of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple, though for some reason indigo was missing. Her skin turned a bright blue, and her eyes purple. She lost an inch or two of height, and some of her body mass shifted around a bit to compensate for the increased musculature. She was by no means a girl with huge muscles, but Rainbow Dash clearly had some power judging from her sprinting skill and soccer capabilites.

It was over at last. "Huh," Rainbow Dash shrugged. "That's the quickest one yet." She threw open the stall door, as she had a ride to catch.

And almost immediately ran into a snag. She walked over to the queue, but there was no terminal with which to scan her magic band. "That's weird, I coulda sworn there was some sort of terminal with which to check in."

She glanced about, trying to find this legendary terminal, but could not see it anywhere. A cast member, sensing her confusion, walked over to her. "Excuse me ma'am, do you need help?"

"I'm looking for the Fastpass line," Rainbow Dash replied, her Canadian accent a dramatic contrast to Katrina's Mid West one. "But I can't seem to find it."

"It's over there," the cast member smiled, pointing to the machine.

Rainbow Dash went red. "Oops. Thanks!" And she sprinted off, scanned her magic band, and went into the queue.

The cast member shrugged. "Where have I seen her before?" he asked himself.


The queue line was very well themed, clean silver and cool blue panels helping to create a calming atmosphere for testing and developing the future of automobile traction. Outside were two prototype cars. Both were sleek, shiny, and modern, and Rainbow Dash loved anything that went fast. As she walked through the queue line, she scanned her magic band and selected a car from the drop down list, opting for power over all else.

She then joined the main queue, and was placed into the front row. She was now excited as the ride vehicle came to a stop, and she hopped in and applied her safety belt. "This is gonna be awesome!" she said.

"Somebody's excited," said a voice to her left, a girl with brown hair.

"Ya kidding?" the prismatic haired girl replied. "This is one of the best rides in the park, PERIOD."

"If we ever get moving, that is," the girl answered, and indicated behind her. A group of foreign tourists, possibly Chinese, had sat down, and a woman was sitting there without her seatbelt on.

"Please put on your seatbelt," asked the attending cast member.

The woman just stared at him blankly. It seemed her English was either poor or non existant, and the cast member's American accent was a little hard to understand.

The cast member then made the motion of putting on a seatbelt, and as he did so he stated the instructions slowly and clearly. "Pull the strap out of its holder, and insert it into the red buckle on your left. Pull on it to secure."

There was no response. Then the man sitting next to the woman, presumably her husband, said "Ahh!" He then reached for the pouch in front of him.

Rainbow Dash facepalmed. "We're gonna be here a while," she groaned.


The car finally left the loading station and rolled into the car testing plant. After negotiating some curves, it bounced along rough ground as a handling test, followed by a brake test for an emergency stop. Then it took some very tight bends, and flew up and down, dodging a truck in the process.

"Hey, I remember that from last time!" said one of the passengers. "Cool effect, too."

"Yeah, it is pretty coOOOOL!" Rainbow Dash cried as the car abruptly accelerated and came to a sharp stop.

Before them lay a pair of steel doors. The engine revved, before the car suddenly shot toward them.

"Here we go!" said somebody else.

The car flew through the doors and onto an outside circuit, with heavy banked turns and incredible speeds.

"AWESOME!"

After flying past a camera, and racing through more inversions, the car came to a stop at the unloading bay.


Rainbow Dash stood in the car lobby of Test Track, grinning from ear to ear and panting heavily from the adrenaline. "Now that was my kinda ride!" she exclaimed. "Now to see how the others are getting on." She dialled Jimmy, and waited for the call to connect.

"Hahahahaha!" said the voice on the other end. "None can stop me!"

"Uh, Jimmy, are you feeling OK?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Who is Jimmy? I am the Maneiac! Hahahahahahahaha!"

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Great. Evil magic messing my vacation up, again. Well, I'll get some lunch."

"DASH! AAAHHHH! SHE'S A MIRACLE!"

The girl shrugged. "Can my day get any weirder?"

Author's Note:

The character who got me into MLP...

Anyways, the incident with the seatbelts occurred to me on Indiana Jones Adventure in Dis eyland.

If anybody can identify the Queen reference, they get a shoutout in the next chapter.